Home
Posted By: ribka Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
https://www.zerohedge.com/commodities/media-isnt-warning-you-america-careening-towards-food-crisis

Are people paying attention?

I have 3 deer, an elk and a lamb. Plus a bunch of frozen veggies. Canned fish and deer this past winter
Posted By: jdunham Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Yep
Posted By: pete53 Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
yep and got another half of beef on its way end of month .
Yep.
Chicken, fish, a whole steer, and lots of veggies, corn dogs, egg rolls, Buffalo wings, etc, in 4 freezers, plus a big pantry with boxed, and canned goods.
We're good.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Originally Posted by ribka
https://www.zerohedge.com/commodities/media-isnt-warning-you-america-careening-towards-food-crisis

I have 3 deer, an elk and a lamb. Plus a bunch of frozen veggies. Canned fish and deer this past winter

3 freezers full here and a well stocked pantry. Hoping that the electricity stays on.

I doubt that the majority of folks are paying attention. Hot water comes out of the tap, the tv comes on and Taco Bell is still in business. All is well.

The larger inner cities could get a lot sportier than they already are.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Wife's doing a lot of canning including meats...
Posted By: J23 Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22

Tell me about canning fish? I can vegetables, fruit deer, chickens, and so on, but I've never heard of canning fish?
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Originally Posted by Houston_2

Hoping that the electricity stays on.

I suppose that is the wild card.
Posted By: ribka Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Yep.
Chicken, fish, a whole steer, and lots of veggies, corn dogs, egg rolls, Buffalo wings, etc, in 4 freezers, plus a big pantry with boxed, and canned goods.
We're good.

smart fellow
duel fuel gennie hooked up. Thank God plumbed for nat gas. And canned a lot more than usual this past year

Originally Posted by RJY66

Posted By: Croaker Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22

3 freezers full here and a well stocked pantry. Hoping that the electricity stays on.

I doubt that the majority of folks are paying attention. Hot water comes out of the tap, the tv comes on and Taco Bell is still in business. All is well.

[i][/i][u][/u]

There's the rub.
SHTF bad enough gennies aren't going to save all that frozen food.
Yes I have a freezer full too, it's never going to be enough.
Nothing but bad choices and worse choices coming.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Possibly !!!!!

grin
Posted By: dale06 Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Electricity, is the key in my view. Canned stuff keeps, frozen won’t.
duel fuel gennie hooked up. Thank God plumbed for nat gas. And canned a lot more than usual this past year

Good move and prep on the dual fuel generator. I’ve got a large enough portable gasoline gen and a tractor pto gen but fuel,,,??
Posted By: Raeford Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Originally Posted by dale06
Electricity, is the key in my view. Canned stuff keeps, frozen won’t.

Regional grocer had canned green beans & canned corn @ .50 can over the weekend.
Added 40 cans to our stash.
Posted By: Teal Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Talked to a farmer friend of mine. If gas was subject to the same increases in fertilizer - gas would be 17 a gallon right now.

I'd be curious to know -

1. Given how much food this country wastes and raw commodities it exports - is it really possible to go hungry or would we simply re-evaluate how we eat? Too many people buy "meals" and not "ingredients" - that is people are paying 20 bucks for a meal that they could get the ingredients for at 9 bucks and make themselves. So to speak.
2. Does a lack of fertilizer really mean no food? Lower yield doesn't mean they don't plant it completely - they may switch crops but the math will become supply/demand on new crop EVERYONE'S growing vs lower yield but higher supply/demand delta = more money on the other stuff.
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Bought a 4patriots solar generator for shtf to power my freezer in summer and heater in winter
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Originally Posted by J23

Tell me about canning fish? I can vegetables, fruit deer, chickens, and so on, but I've never heard of canning fish?

J23;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking to be a good one for you and you're all well.

There's a bunch of videos on this, so I pulled one off the top that I honestly didn't watch all of, but she seems pretty thorough.

Where I grew up in Saskatchewan the Romanian/Ukrainian and often Mennonite folks used to go down to the sucker runs in spring and catch washtubs full. When I asked them how they cooked them, they all replied that they pressure canned them.

While I can't say this with certainty, they claimed it was tough to tell the difference between it and say canned tuna or salmon other than texture.

Hopefully this is useful for you or someone out there.

All the best.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by IA_fog
Bought a 4patriots solar generator for shtf to power my freezer in summer and heater in winter

Can you tell us more about what you have, how it’s connected, how you phase it inand out.

Would appreciate it if you have the time.

Good thread.
Knowing how to smoke/dry meat is probably as important if not more than the freezer.

Lasts a long time - not dependent on electricity.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Teal;
Top of the morning my friend, I hope that the day is behaving as well as a time change Monday can and that you're all well.

On the fertilizer subject, I grew up just north of one of the biggest potash producing sets of mines in Saskatchewan and from what I hear they're still going strong, so potash is still coming out of the ground here.

For sure you're correct that way too many people that we know either buy pre-prepared meals or are still eating out/getting take out because of the beer flu mess.

The price of rice up here is still very reasonable, as are lentils and navy beans which store indefinitely. As a by the way, I am still eating lentils which I bought a "big bag" of for Y2K.... laugh

If one has the ability to grind their own wheat, it'll store for decades and not lose any food value until it's ground either. I'm not sure about dried corn, sorry, but can't imagine that it'd be a horrible thing to have some bags of deer feeder corn around "just because". We don't see that up here, but on some forums I see folks have pallets of the stuff down in some places south of us.

Unless they're nearly done financially from previous years, etc., the farmers up here are still planting something as they want to keep the lights on too, right?

Fresh vegetables and fruits might could get really sporty for sure though.

All the best and God bless.

Dwayne
Posted By: jdunham Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22

Our pantry is stocked with canned deer, moose and vegetables. We have a freezer chock full of stuff too. I have a couple outdoor propane stoves that we do most of our canning on, if the electricity went out my plan would be to can as much as possible from the freezer before it went bad. I have plenty of jars and lids and a couple spare propane cylinders in reserve for that scenario.
Word to the wise on canning fish, smoke about 10-15% as long as you would like it normally. The canning really brings it out.

A slice of lemon and some basil in a pint of trout is great.

I just dry canned a BUNCH of elk jerky and have it on 30" of vacuum.
Dwayne -

Sir, hope all is well with you and yours too!

Yeah, I mean fertilizer and the costs associated means you get more on less land, in my mind. I don't think it means the farm shuts down. Ben (my friend) will do the best he can and it means raising his prices. I suspect we'll see that in a lot of places. People are going to "re-learn" how to cook and not just reheat what someone else cooked I think.

Might be time to buy stock in cookbooks!

I think people tho, will each make some individual decisions - eating out, eating in, what that looks like. Anyway we slice things here in the States - we're headed for contraction/recession. Just how each of us handles it will determine a lot. I don't think we're all, equally equipped to do so.
Sourdough bread is simple. It takes a bit to get the starter going, but once it's on, 3 cups of flour and a tablespoon of salt make a fantastic loaf of bread. We haven't bought bread since it hit 3 bux. It takes me under 10 minutes total labor for a loaf.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
If a single hair on my head knew my plans, I’d cut it all off!!
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

of course Its like insurance it could reduce the impact.

I made 20 lbs o fjerkey too and lots of cheap canned goods, chili, veggies, meat, sardines, tuna and of course spam

Originally Posted by Croaker

[i][/i][u][/u]

There's the rub.
SHTF bad enough gennies aren't going to save all that frozen food.
Yes I have a freezer full too, it's never going to be enough.
Nothing but bad choices and worse choices coming.

Can you tell us more about what you have, how it’s connected, how you phase it inand out.

Good thread.

It’s just a stand alone portable generator (battery )recharged by solar panels. I think 3000 watts takes 4-6 hours To recharge depending on how many panels you have, “says” it can Trina fridge/freezer for 6-8 hrs. In my own opinion , if you can get or have it already froze, you dont need to run it all day to top off the cold “especially if you keep freezer in cooler environment like a basement or shaded area. Back before instant ice makers,,, people cut ice blocks to use and they lasted 8 plus months because of environment, like well insulated well shaded places
4patriots.com is official website, got it on a special $3000 for generator package and extra solar panels
Also invested in a Milwaukee cordless chainsaw and some extra chains, some extra batteries as well for the rest of my cordless stuff, staying all one brand for the main reason the batteries all interchange. Milwaukee also has a battery powered generator I’m looking into for next big purchase.
Want to do a whole house backup generator but two problems.
A. Expense, wife lost her job due to covid rules and loss of income still hurts
B. Can’t decide if I want to do Natural gas which i have in house now or go propane and set a tank. If sh.. really goes south and no electricity, how will natural gas get to me? Propane,,, i have access to a portable tank and could use it but would still need to get it refilled
Originally Posted by high_country_
Sourdough bread is simple. It takes a bit to get the starter going, but once it's on, 3 cups of flour and a tablespoon of salt make a fantastic loaf of bread. We haven't bought bread since it hit 3 bux. It takes me under 10 minutes total labor for a loaf.

Love sour dough. My starter in 15 years old. Sure beats store bought Flour prices are going up fast the past month

As mentioned find a good place to live and get to really know your neighbors and talk about these things, educate people. Churches are good places to meet like minded who understand what may happen in the future. My church has weekend get aways at few times year , training , first aid, shooting, communications etc Have printed maps of your area and know basic land nav. Have back up communication other than cell phones , gps which can be switched off easily. Having a group of close friends with different skills really helps. I know its crazy conspiracy talk. But better to be prepared

Good thread.

It’s just a stand alone portable generator (battery )recharged by solar panels. I think 3000 watts takes 4-6 hours To recharge depending on how many panels you have, “says” it can Trina fridge/freezer for 6-8 hrs. In my own opinion , if you can get or have it already froze, you dont need to run it all day to top off the cold “especially if you keep freezer in cooler environment like a basement or shaded area. Back before instant ice makers,,, people cut ice blocks to use and they lasted 8 plus months because of environment, like well insulated well shaded places
4patriots.com is official website, got it on a special $3000 for generator package and extra solar panels
Also invested in a Milwaukee cordless chainsaw and some extra chains, some extra batteries as well for the rest of my cordless stuff, staying all one brand for the main reason the batteries all interchange. Milwaukee also has a battery powered generator I’m looking into for next big purchase.
Want to do a whole house backup generator but two problems.
A. Expense, wife lost her job due to covid rules and loss of income still hurts
B. Can’t decide if I want to do Natural gas which i have in house now or go propane and set a tank. If sh.. really goes south and no electricity, how will natural gas get to me? Propane,,, i have access to a portable tank and could use it but would still need to get it refilled

Many thanks.

When I go to their 4patriot.com website the page comes up but remains blank for some reason . I’m going to keep trying. I like what you’ve posted here.on it.
Thanks again.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Originally Posted by Teal

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Mine’s full of primers…..
Posted By: KFWA Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
I lost about 200 pounds of rice last year because of a water leak.

Rice weevils took over my basement, clogged up my furnace regulator.

It was a mess. I bought some water proof containers to store the replacement rice I bought.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Just getting the garden planted the next few days. Freezers are looking good but need to can a bunch of the meat. You need to keep your dried goods - foods in a 55gal drum. Some have gaskets others you have to make your own out of silicone. Just wax the drum lip and run a good bead of silicone around the lid and let the silicone kickoff. It's a reusable gasket if done properly.
Posted By: scrooster Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Two year supply stashed away in pantry and freezers, 2500 calories per day, for 12 people (my family) not counting what we can grow and hunt and raise here on the farm.

My shortage is of mason jars, lids and rings. I bought a Harvest Right in November and have been practicing with it ad nauseum since then ... using farmer's market fruit and veggies and frozen venison that was beginning to overflow a couple of my chest freezers. This year's garden is double what it has been, almost two complete acres. There will be a lot of freeze dried carrots, apples, potatoes, etc., put-up this year. A lot of freeze dried meats.

I need more mylar bags and am probably going to have to invest in another vacuum packer and sealer.

Got another half a beef coming in two weeks and may do three instead of two this year. I honestly haven't been able to keep them. People are buying them 8 months ahead of the butcherings.

I mean, I'm an organic free range commercial chicken farmer so I have no shortage of chickens to can - my family grows tired pf eating chicken sometimes. My problem there has been keeping legal Mexicans working for me and I refuse to hire illegals since all the kids have grown-up and moved away with their families.

My ponds are fully stocked with catfish. Got more than a few hogs fattening-up on the back forty.

You can never have too much salt and sugar, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, spices, peppercorns, red pepper flakes, brown sugar, molasses ... I mean i probably literally have a quarter ton of that stuff, stuff that most don't put enough away.

And don't forget the water, 1st Aid supplies and ammo. Goes without saying.

Rough times are coming.

Energy is going to be key to it all. Be redundant.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Wife's doing a lot of canning including meats...

That's just smart.
Started packing dry goods weeks ago. Rice, beans, pasta etc. Flour. And cornmeal in Mylar bags heat sealed with an oxygen absorber in them.
Canned goods from wally with the longest expiration dates available
Wife bought a new pressure canner from Wisconsin foundry just to can the meat in the freezer
Two deer and some quail along with a 1/4 beef. Planning on that this weekend.
My neighbor across the street plants a garden every year big enough for all the neighborhood. He will.plant over 200 mater plants,usually 6 different varieties. Then all the standard stuff too.
I guess if it were to get bad enough those deer I feed in the back yard may catch a bullet.
Don’t forget to hoard TP.

“What goes in must come out….”

Old Chinese proverb.
By on track…

The Walmarts has been having canning jars in stock.
Picked up a half dozen cases. And plenty of lids.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Old Chinese proverb.

You would Crack up if you were to see my stash of Charmin.
Hundreds of the big rolls
Posted By: Raeford Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
We don't 'can' but I sure do seem to have an awful lot qt jars and lids for some reason???
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Talked to a farmer friend of mine. If gas was subject to the same increases in fertilizer - gas would be 17 a gallon right now.

I'd be curious to know -

1. Given how much food this country wastes and raw commodities it exports - is it really possible to go hungry or would we simply re-evaluate how we eat? Too many people buy "meals" and not "ingredients" - that is people are paying 20 bucks for a meal that they could get the ingredients for at 9 bucks and make themselves. So to speak.
2. Does a lack of fertilizer really mean no food? Lower yield doesn't mean they don't plant it completely - they may switch crops but the math will become supply/demand on new crop EVERYONE'S growing vs lower yield but higher supply/demand delta = more money on the other stuff.

maybe in the recentt past. it costs roughlty 50 bucks with tip for 4 of us to eat at lcoal restaraunts. it costs 38-44 bucks to bu the ingredients and cook a similar meal at home

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Heck yeah!

I'll drive.
Originally Posted by J23

Pickled northern pike, good stuff. Snot rockets easy to catch too.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
tuna?
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22

Won't help when they cut your power. Better have dried food and canned .. home canned preferably, and the stuff and know-how necessary to do your own canning.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
I’ve always had a pile of rock salt until now as I don’t have a place to store it. A man could at least preserve his meat with it if electricity was out.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22

freezers full but don't have enough generator or fuel to keep em going when it craters. As long as power is on all is good.

Not that I am particularly worried about anything ever. One day at a time.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
This was our local Wally World pasta section last Thursday. I walked by on Sunday and it was pretty much the same. Either people are hording spaghetti or the S already starting to HTF.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Pashooter Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Lots of veggies as far as meat it wanders thru my back field on a regular basis.
Posted By: JackRyan Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Yep.
We're good.

Better start canning it.
Posted By: hosfly Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Freezer full of whatnot,field full of stock,22+ acres of catfish,bass an shellcrackers stocked up, need to pile up more cornmeal,salt pepper and lard
We just booked two fat beeves for the end of May.

Hey bidder!
2 elk, 2 deer and an Antelope.
Originally Posted by JackRyan
Yep.
We're good.

Better start canning it.

Canned corn dogs? Yum!
Originally Posted by bbassi
This was our local Wally World pasta section last Thursday. I walked by on Sunday and it was pretty much the same. Either people are hording spaghetti or the S already starting to HTF.

I see empty sections like that at times in the grocery stores I shop. I suspect it’s a transportation issue mostly, not shortages per se. The next time I go in, the formerly empty spots are filled, and maybe something else is missing, or like today, nothing that I noticed. Since many stores now rely on contractors for stocking shelves, it may be associated with personnel problems for them. Help wanted signs are everywhere, at least for jobs like that, cashiers, etc. A month or so ago, frozen veggies were pretty sparsely stocked, but today the freezers were jammed.

TP was abundant, and none of that Canadian stuff like last year!
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Have 5 deer and some ducks. I need to restock my canned goods. Canned lasts good. I had bought a bunch of canned fish and.meat when Obummer was president. Ate the.last can of sardines the other day with a best by date of 2010. They still tasted like canned sardines.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
I have 4 All American canners and 2 generators. Plan is to can everything in the freezers while the generators buy time.
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555

Old Chinese proverb.

bidet works wonders
Posted By: ldholton Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Freezers are pretty full usually are oh and there's a few hundred head on the hoof for meat issues
I have a rotating inventory of 20 quart jars of frozen chili and soups. Also have about 2 months of dehydrated food if it gets to that.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Mine's to the brim... It's a biggie - #800 capacity, and I can't get more than a coupla pounds into it right now..
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
When I go to their 4patriot.com website the page comes up but remains blank for some reason . I’m going to keep trying. I like what you’ve posted here.on it.Thanks again.

Try a different browser.
Posted By: 222ND Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Canned fish
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Pint jar filled within 1 to 1.5 inches of the top
Cook in pressure cooker @ 15 pounds of pressure for 75 minutes

I used this recipe exclusively for northern pike. When you pressure cook northerns it dissolved the bones. Most of the time I mixed miracle whip and mustard with the canned fish and used it for making sandwiches. It was way better than tuna. I used this fish up to two years after making it and it was still good.
Originally Posted by 222ND
Canned fish
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Pint jar filled within 1 to 1.5 inches of the top
Cook in pressure cooker @ 15 pounds of pressure for 75 minutes

I used this recipe exclusively for northern pike. When you pressure cook northerns it dissolved the bones. Most of the time I mixed miracle whip and mustard with the canned fish and used it for making sandwiches. It was way better than tuna. I used this fish up to two years after making it and it was still good.

I’m going to copy this down - we’re inundated with Northerns here in Champlain & never keep them because of the Y bone issue when I try to fillet. Never thought of pressure cooking them makes great sense. What size Mason jars did you use?

(Wonder what else I’ve never thought of hmmm)

That said - prepped solid here as are many Vermonters for various reasons. The independent streak runs very strong here.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Here in EP, I'm likely screwed if a prolonged shortage hits the US/TX. I have limited space, but my 2 small freezers (~8 cu ft) are pretty well packed, though I have a bit of room left. I have about 30 lbs. of beef (roasts/ground) & 10 lbs of chicken in the freezer. I also have frozen fish/shrimp, bread, bacon, sausages, canned and frozen vegetables, 25 lbs. of rice, various canned goods including meats/fish, salt, spices, dry goods: cornmeal, beans, lentils, split pea, pasta, etc. - almost as much as I can store in my limited space. I also have 2 10'x20' storage spaces, but it gets way too hot in them to store foodstuffs. This past Saturday, I spent $300.00 at Costco stocking up. Next run to Costco I'll get a giant bag of flour and more canned goods. My plan is to have enough food stored here for me and my daughter when the shortage becomes untenable, b/c I know my ex has made no preparations at all.

Unfortunately, I was unable to lay in any venison, wild hog or turkey this year since my buddy sold his ranch - a sad deal, but another story entirely. At least he still has his lake house if he finds he must escape the big city.

Brother in Big D has begun to make some decent preparations at the folks house since they have an acre of land, but he has a long way to go. So far he's put in a chicken coup w/ 6 chickens, which started laying a few weeks ago and he's covered up in eggs now - he's had to start giving eggs away to family and friends. He put in a sizable (~60'x30') garden last year and he's already started planting. Fruit trees are a bit over 3 years old, so maybe they'll start producing this year. He needs to start accumulating canning gear, which I told him to do last year, and he also needs to start accumulating dry goods. I may advise him to put in a hog 'waller as well - there's plenty of space there and plenty of freezer room. Dad's got two Furman dual fuel generators and he's currently researching whole-house generators as well.

If worse comes to worse, I can always drive my daughter to Big D if I run out of food and there's one to be found here - provided he has made adequate preparations and provided I can lay in enough fuel to get there.

Not ideal, I know, but it's about the best I can do right now.
We are full. Momma told me we bought a whole lamb, to be delivered in a few weeks, so I need to get some stuff moved around. Still have a bunch of grinding to do and some broth to make.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
I hate to throw a pall over the plans and efforts you boys are making but if a true food crisis does develop in this country, the President and politicians in D.C. will "requisition" your food supplies. All, of course, in the name of distribution to those millions of unprepared and "needy citizens" who have nothing to eat.

A gigantic, overwhelming Government Agency will be established and thousands of bureaucrats will be hired to fan out throughout America checking each house for stored food. Maybe call the Agency "FIFF," "Fairness In Food Forever." The politicians and bureaucrats are well aware that selfish, radical "preppers" all over the country have been storing tons of food for emergencies for years. Food that can when distributed correctly to "needy" people, save the lives of the needy, especially the children who are starving.

Anyone who resists will be declared "An Enemy Of The People," with subsequent punishment including "Elimination with Extreme Prejudice."

The food will be loaded into trucks, both refrigerated and regular, and each "willing, cooperative donor," will receive a ration book with coupons good for certain foods at the local FIFF warehouse to feed individuals and family members according to their needs as established by the FIFF bureaucrats. Probably be a "digital" ration book so the FIFF bureaucrats can make certain no one is a "non-patriotic" recalcitrant.

Of course, it will be for the overall good of the Country and FIFF will remain in place until the "crisis" is over... someday in the distant future.

Thinking that could not happen here? Now I know all you boys and girls are thinking, Ol' Leanwolf is letting his overly active, fertile imagination run away with him ... but something very similar has happened in this country before. It was called "Mandatory Rationing" during WW II, put into place by one of the 'Fire's great political favorites, FDR (Federal Deficit Roosevelt.) All over the Nation, people's homes were invaded by Government employees to count the foods people had, plus farm animals, etc. Then according to the foods counted by the bureaucrats the "tickets" in ration books corresponding to the foods counted, were removed from the ration books. You could not go to a grocery store and buy those items without the proper ration tickets.

I was only four years old when the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor, but I remember a bureaucrat coming to our home and counting all the food we had including the many quart jars of canned food my mother had put up from our large garden. My mother and dad did not like it, but it was WAR!! and they were Patriotic. That's the way it was in 1942. The Government ordered: people obeyed.

Don't think that some form of this can't happen again.

FWIW.

L.W. ( Your favorite skeptic.)
Originally Posted by High_Noon
When I go to their 4patriot.com website the page comes up but remains blank for some reason . I’m going to keep trying. I like what you’ve posted here.on it.Thanks again.

Try a different browser.

He is missing a letter
4patriots.com
Posted By: Gojoe Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
I have taken the time and money to provide for me and mine. I might be inclined to voluntarily share to a degree. Anything other than that is a threat. And will be dealt with accordingly.

A vast majority of folks have always lived with a social safety net under their lazy, and misguided arse. Not everyone is going to be happy with the choices they have made, it's not my goal to ease their burden with my sweat.
I all out off Fuchs to give.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22
Leanwolf , thankyou for telliung us that. I am not sure what I would do. Did they take any food from you??

As for me and my wife , we re not buying too much meat. We are buying a lot of flour and canned goods, and oil. We feel that it will last a lot longer that meat in the freezer. However, being in Wisconsin, we would be just fine in winter. I have however, finished my winters supply of wood and most of the winter of 2023 to 24 is in the back yard. When I started the winter wood last fall, a winters supply of wood was worth $1,000 of heat. Now, I look at it, and realize , it is now $2,000 worth of heat. That is concerning to me,
Posted By: roundoak Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/14/22

I'd be curious to know -

Two years ago with the help of my local County Extension agent, I started a plan to lower my fertilizer input requirements. First, I planted a "pasture" mix of seed in a on going renovation of the pastures and eliminated fertilizers. Second, I and a neighbor contracted with three local dairy farms to spread their excess solid manure and slurry pond manure on our fields. I reduced my fertilizer input requirement by 30%. bean and corn yields were down 9 % from previous year. The second year I reduced my fertilizer requirements by 38% and the bean and corn yields were down 4.5% from the benchmark. Market fluctuation was factored out to compare apples to apples.

Now that I may have the fertilizer input under control, fuel prices may negate my efforts.

Posted By: ihookem Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22
Originally Posted by roundoak

I'd be curious to know -

Two years ago with the help of my local County Extension agent, I started a plan to lower my fertilizer input requirements. First, I planted a "pasture" mix of seed in a on going renovation of the pastures and eliminated fertilizers. Second, I and a neighbor contracted with three local dairy farms to spread their excess solid manure and slurry pond manure on our fields. I reduced my fertilizer input requirement by 30%. bean and corn yields were down 9 % from previous year. The second year I reduced my fertilizer requirements by 38% and the bean and corn yields were down 4.5% from the benchmark. Market fluctuation was factored out to compare apples to apples.

Now that I may have the fertilizer input under control, fuel prices may negate my efforts.

That is smart of you. I always wondered if farmers were putting in too much fertilizer. The reason is , cause some inland lakes get full of weeds and some say it is run off from the farm fields. If you keep you fertilizer down 38%, and yield goes down only 4.5%, do you come out ahead? Another thing I was thinking, if it gets bad, we can stop making ethanol . I dont think field corn will make good bread and cereal , but it is edible. Have you ever heard of field corn being used for food?
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22
We will be okay. The Harvest Right is doing lots of loads for the mylar bags. The LEM 10 tray dryer is going with the Presto 8 tray dryer. We have a lot of canned fish. Still have half of a moose and lots of turkeys(4 X50lbs). We still have the pullets producing and bee season is coming on strong we put away five gallons of honey per year. Wife is going great guns and loves this stuff. Most of our stuff will be portable and we can get out to the sticks where I don't think that people will even come out looking for us. Kind of pissed at SW as they now will not sell us( I work pt in camping) reloading powder and primers. I have quite a few but really could use more. I probably need to start looking at building a large external antenna for my Realistic receiver to get news when it gets bad.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22
Also, Teal mentioned a real good point when he mentions wasted food. This country wastes 30% of the food we buy. It is the biggest waste in our household. It drives me crazy but the wife buys a lot and some goes to waste. If we have a shortage on food, this will be the first thing America will have to do and then we will have enough, might not be plenty, however, there is hardly a person in this country that would be in need if they cut their food intake by 25%, including me. We could , consume 50% of the food and be just fine. Hard to believe , but it is true.
Originally Posted by ihookem
Also, Teal mentioned a real good point when he mentions wasted food. This country wastes 30% of the food we buy. It is the biggest waste in our household. It drives me crazy but the wife buys a lot and some goes to waste. If we have a shortage on food, this will be the first thing America will have to do and then we will have enough, might not be plenty, however, there is hardly a person in this country that would be in need if they cut their food intake by 25%, including me. We could , consume 50% of the food and be just fine. Hard to believe , but it is true.

70%.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22
Yes, our two freezers are full of beef, wild game, berries and vegetables. In addition, we can garden vegetables, beef and dehydrate fruits and vegetables. We also gather walnut, hickory and hazel nuts. Should we lose power I can generate electricity with a tractor PTO generator until diesel fuel can no longer be obtained. Water is readily available if no electricity to run well pump. There are several springs on the farms.

No electricity for lights, out come the lamps and lanterns. Six gallons of kerosene out in the shop to keep them lit.

No electricity or fuel to cook or heat, my backup is wood cook stove and wood stoves. No fuel for the chainsaw? Got that covered with two-man crosscut saws, bow saws and buck saws. No fuel to haul it? I got a team of horses and a wagon.
Posted By: dassa Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22

No. I'm gonna wait until stuff is impossible to find at the price I want to pay, then blame all you hoarders for my lack of foresight.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22
The lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on mine. I pretty much already know who we'll help out and who we won't. With the price and scarcity of ammo there will be no more warning shots.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22
Have several months worth of freeze dried food, pantry with lots of canned goods, and pretty good supply of meat in a couple freezers, beef, an elk, a couple deer, an antelope, and some fish.

Also have a back up propane generator, and just filled the bulk tank at the old pre-panic price, and did that with one day to spare. That should keep the freezers and fridge running till I can make a canning plan if needed.

Should be in pretty good shape if the power grid goes down.

Too bad I lost all my guns and ammo when my boat sunk.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22
Chit is about to real.

Enter the freezer gun, Black Ice...

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22
"Leanwolf , thank you for telling us that. I am not sure what I would do. Did they take any food from you?? ...

iHookem, as far as I remember, no, the government man did not take any of my mother's food. I'll never forget being on the stairs down to our basement watching the man count my mother's canned food and listing everything and amounts in his notebook. Then he opened the ration book and tore out a bunch of food stamps which matched the jars and cans of our food. He also noted our chickens and they were counted. I'm not sure but I think I remember my older brother had a hutch of rabbits. If so, I know they were counted, too.

After the man left, I remember my mother sitting down and crying.

One thing about those times that would never be possible if my little "fantasy" I posted came to pass. Back during WW II, a housewife could trade an unwanted ration stamp with a neighbor woman for some stamp she didn't want for her family. With digital ration books, that'd be impossible. The Government computer would immediately catch it and the red flags would go up. Remember, with the Government politicians and bureaucrats, it's all about POWER and CONTROL. To them, to achieve their goals, nothing is "out of bounds."

As an aside, several years ago at a high school reunion I was speaking with several of my old classmates from the tiny school from which we graduated. During the "Hey, do you remember ______________ ??," conversations, I asked them if they remembered FDR's Government man counting their mothers' food after WW II began? All of my old friends said they did. Traumatic events are quite often indelible in our minds.

Probably just my fantasy, but as the old saying goes, "Never say 'Never'." smile

L.W.
Posted By: EdM Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22
I have a good bit of pork from the recent hog hunt, whitetail and pronghorn from last fall and year round axis abound around the property so I am feeling OK.
Posted By: blanket Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22
Think we will be ok
Posted By: JackRyan Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22

Old Chinese proverb.

bidet works wonders

A bidet, and one of those combo mutts like a "Labradoodle" just might serve a useful purpose.
Here in EP, I'm likely screwed if a prolonged shortage hits the US/TX. I have limited space, but my 2 small freezers (~8 cu ft) are pretty well packed, though I have a bit of room left. I have about 30 lbs. of beef (roasts/ground) & 10 lbs of chicken in the freezer. I also have frozen fish/shrimp, bread, bacon, sausages, canned and frozen vegetables, 25 lbs. of rice, various canned goods including meats/fish, salt, spices, dry goods: cornmeal, beans, lentils, split pea, pasta, etc. - almost as much as I can store in my limited space. I also have 2 10'x20' storage spaces, but it gets way too hot in them to store foodstuffs. This past Saturday, I spent $300.00 at Costco stocking up. Next run to Costco I'll get a giant bag of flour and more canned goods. My plan is to have enough food stored here for me and my daughter when the shortage becomes untenable, b/c I know my ex has made no preparations at all.

Unfortunately, I was unable to lay in any venison, wild hog or turkey this year since my buddy sold his ranch - a sad deal, but another story entirely. At least he still has his lake house if he finds he must escape the big city.

Brother in Big D has begun to make some decent preparations at the folks house since they have an acre of land, but he has a long way to go. So far he's put in a chicken coup w/ 6 chickens, which started laying a few weeks ago and he's covered up in eggs now - he's had to start giving eggs away to family and friends. He put in a sizable (~60'x30') garden last year and he's already started planting. Fruit trees are a bit over 3 years old, so maybe they'll start producing this year. He needs to start accumulating canning gear, which I told him to do last year, and he also needs to start accumulating dry goods. I may advise him to put in a hog 'waller as well - there's plenty of space there and plenty of freezer room. Dad's got two Furman dual fuel generators and he's currently researching whole-house generators as well.

If worse comes to worse, I can always drive my daughter to Big D if I run out of food and there's one to be found here - provided he has made adequate preparations and provided I can lay in enough fuel to get there.

Stock some freeze dried food, High Noon
Posted By: blanket Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22

I'd be curious to know -

It means farmers are going to lose their ass
Posted By: ribka Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22
try it, you'll like it

Originally Posted by JackRyan

Old Chinese proverb.

bidet works wonders

A bidet, and one of those combo mutts like a "Labradoodle" just might serve a useful purpose.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22
Full freezers, lots jarred, and more than abundant fish and wildlife on my doorstep.

That being said, starving for a few weeks wouldn’t hurt me none. Grin
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Thanks - I'll look into that.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22
Constantly, at about 40 cubic ft worth. Just hope we never have a 3-week power outage
I keep these handy in most rooms and cars/trucks.

They can be useful in a pinch.

Please call before you stop by... just saying.

Picked up a lot of mine from Midway as they had their $49 free shipping promotions.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22
Thanks. My Patriot Supply looks good and has free shipping as well.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I hate to throw a pall over the plans and efforts you boys are making but if a true food crisis does develop in this country, the President and politicians in D.C. will "requisition" your food supplies. All, of course, in the name of distribution to those millions of unprepared and "needy citizens" who have nothing to eat.

A gigantic, overwhelming Government Agency will be established and thousands of bureaucrats will be hired to fan out throughout America checking each house for stored food. Maybe call the Agency "FIFF," "Fairness In Food Forever." The politicians and bureaucrats are well aware that selfish, radical "preppers" all over the country have been storing tons of food for emergencies for years. Food that can when distributed correctly to "needy" people, save the lives of the needy, especially the children who are starving.

Anyone who resists will be declared "An Enemy Of The People," with subsequent punishment including "Elimination with Extreme Prejudice."

The food will be loaded into trucks, both refrigerated and regular, and each "willing, cooperative donor," will receive a ration book with coupons good for certain foods at the local FIFF warehouse to feed individuals and family members according to their needs as established by the FIFF bureaucrats. Probably be a "digital" ration book so the FIFF bureaucrats can make certain no one is a "non-patriotic" recalcitrant.

Of course, it will be for the overall good of the Country and FIFF will remain in place until the "crisis" is over... someday in the distant future.

Thinking that could not happen here? Now I know all you boys and girls are thinking, Ol' Leanwolf is letting his overly active, fertile imagination run away with him ... but something very similar has happened in this country before. It was called "Mandatory Rationing" during WW II, put into place by one of the 'Fire's great political favorites, FDR (Federal Deficit Roosevelt.) All over the Nation, people's homes were invaded by Government employees to count the foods people had, plus farm animals, etc. Then according to the foods counted by the bureaucrats the "tickets" in ration books corresponding to the foods counted, were removed from the ration books. You could not go to a grocery store and buy those items without the proper ration tickets.

I was only four years old when the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor, but I remember a bureaucrat coming to our home and counting all the food we had including the many quart jars of canned food my mother had put up from our large garden. My mother and dad did not like it, but it was WAR!! and they were Patriotic. That's the way it was in 1942. The Government ordered: people obeyed.

FWIW.

LOL. I"d suggest they not try that this go round if anything actually happens. Would not be good for the people sent door to door. They would be told no.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22

My mother wastes at least 50% if not more of food she has bought her whole life. Says its a depression thing, buy as much as you can and sit on it.

I despise this and we have words over her stupidity quite often. She sets a piss poor example. Its a dang shame.
Posted By: Cluggins Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22
Yep.
We're good.

smart fellow

Smart folks have food that won't go bad when the power goes out.
Originally Posted by Cluggins
Yep.
We're good.

smart fellow

Smart folks have food that won't go bad when the power goes out.

Exactly, or have enough jars at hand to can it all if the power does go out.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Can I borrow a cup of flour neighbor?
grin
Midway is having a sale on some of their freeze dried foods.

Picked up a lot of mine from Midway as they had their $49 free shipping promotions.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22
We are fairly well stocked. If things look like they are getting real bad, we will go to the cabin on the coast. Crab, fish, clams and lots of birds will cover protein. Canned veggies, plus a million miles of blackberries will help! You can always row the boat, if fuel gets too scarce! Getting all the prepared food from here to the coast, may be a challenge, we would find out.
The best insurance policy is to live in a game rich area and have and know how to use snares and know how to fish. Hunting with weapons that take time, effort, and make noise isn’t a good plan. Having skills is the most important thing for the long term.

As mentioned pressure cooker and jars are key to any long term preservation. I have commercial vacuum packers and a lot of freezer space but those take power.
Posted By: memtb Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22

Just put a whole beef in one of our chest freezers! Other chest freezer is full of miscellaneous (vegetables, cheese, butter, ect.). memtb
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Can I borrow a cup of flour neighbor?
grin

LOL... sure thing.

Anything to help a good guy... and

... everything needed to stop them durn zombies.

BTW... you guys should look into this new house siding material...

Really nice stuff...

From a company called AR500.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22
Yes.
What's everyone's plan for if they have to be mobile and vehicles on the road isn't an option?
Posted By: Teal Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22
Originally Posted by Calvin
What's everyone's plan for if they have to be mobile and vehicles on the road isn't an option?

Depends on where I need to go.

Ideally - I'm where I need to be before that happens.

That said - sailboat could get me pretty close to where I want/need to be rather easily.

ATV likely too.

Also - walk. That's why I like dried food. Lighter, less volume etc.

If it gets so messy that I have to defend the home, this is where I end my journey. I don't need to live forever and if the forces coming have air support, it didn't matter what provisions were made. If it's ground force....expect better results for my neighbors because I may not be great at much, but killing chit has been my thing for a long time....and those furry critters didn't even have me angry.
I think sea kayaks with a tp/stove would be an excellent option in my area if the boats were a no-go. You can cover some water in one, silently, without expending a lot of effort. Not to mention easy fishing out of the kayak for all kinds of fish. Other option for my area would be bikes. A lot more visible with more effort required.

And I agree, all jars, excess ammo, and anything with weight is immediately worthless. Dried foods is the way to go and knowing edible plants.
Midway is having a sale on some of their freeze dried foods.

I see some Mountain House is on sale. One of my favorites.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/15/22

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Is that Gannet Peak in the Winds?
Posted By: ihookem Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/19/22
I think sea kayaks with a tp/stove would be an excellent option in my area if the boats were a no-go. You can cover some water in one, silently, without expending a lot of effort. Not to mention easy fishing out of the kayak for all kinds of fish. Other option for my area would be bikes. A lot more visible with more effort required.

And I agree, all jars, excess ammo, and anything with weight is immediately worthless. Dried foods is the way to go and knowing edible plants.

And knowing edible plants!. Yes, that is a life and death knowledge. We can talk about freezers being full, but it wont help in the summer time. I know my mom ate dendelion leaves during the late part of the depression and the war. They were that poor. The picked them out of the lawn and mixed them with their salad and on a good day they had dressing to go with it but some days they only had oil. On my moms 5th birthday, she got a birthday cake. It was such a treat in 1943 that they took 1 picture and it was also used as a family picture. We still have copies.. I know you can eat

1 clover , it has protein but you need oil or fat for your body to obsorb it.
2 acorns acorns are good for you . You need to boil the acidic taste out of them and it takes a few times.
You need to know what food is that others will walk right by and not know it is food. Any other suggestions?
Posted By: KFWA Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/19/22
wife and I cleaned out the freezers last night - got rid of stuff like frozen french fries, a cake, some pasta - just stuff that had little food value to us - to make room for meat. Went to Costco today and bought about $250 worth of chicken, sirloins, roast and chops.

I guess this thread and the avian flu thread convinced me it was something that needed to be done.

Told my wife that we replace what we use every 2-3 days until it either gets plentiful or unavailable. With inflation that's probably going to add an additional $200 a month to our bills.

I'm not a prepper by any means but I have to believe I'm further along than most folks
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/19/22
I’ll be at the cabin, off the grid. I’m stocked better than most. 15 year batteries.

Originally Posted by SandBilly
I’ll be at the cabin, off the grid. I’m stocked better than most. 15 year batteries.

Hell with batteries, big question is how much whiskey do you have?
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/20/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Not much, but a still works..
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Not much, but a still works..

Might have seen one once.
I’d say if SHTF alcohol would be a pretty good commodity to trade.
All stocked up, but that is SOP for living way out of town. As for mobile, I'm too old to be running around like a rabbit trying to avoid a lynx. Here I stand, and if I stand no longer, I doubt I'll go alone.
RB
Posted By: Diesel Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/20/22
Originally Posted by bbassi

Our walmart looks almost bare of pasta and the space was reduced too. People are buying pasta because it is filling and cheap.
Posted By: Diesel Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/20/22
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

FWIW.

All true. I remember my Granddad telling that same thing to me as a kid. It will happen if food gets scarce. Same way with copper pans and other metals melted down and repurposed.

If you have natural gas available, get it. Generators can be dual fuel. There is such a thing as "drip gas". Can your meat, it will last a long time. Always have tons of mason jars and lids, because it is a barter tool at the very least.
A 2-3 month fast would probably be adventageous for most.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/20/22
Yes, they are.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/20/22
had a relative during the war sell basic food items - anything rationed - sugar mostly. He figured out some way to get his hands on bulk amounts of it, might have fell off a truck. Made a pretty good living from what I understand.
Ribka: Been working on that for a while now - we have two large freezers and a large pantry.
I am researching "iodine pills" right now as well.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Timberrunner: I don't think humans can go without food for "two to three months"!
They would die of starvation.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I went to texas a few weeks ago for this very reason. Six whitetail does and an axis doe should hold me over until my september elk tag. I have 3/4 of a lamb and a coues deer in there already.
Posted By: LazyL0228 Re: Freezers stocked up yet? - 03/20/22
two does, a few turkeys, whole hog, and half of a cow for the wife will not eat wild game yet.
We can and also my wife bought a freeze dryer to save freezer space. We can make our our meals and preserve them and save freezer space.
© 24hourcampfire