Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Have several months worth of freeze dried food, pantry with lots of canned goods, and pretty good supply of meat in a couple freezers, beef, an elk, a couple deer, an antelope, and some fish.

Also have a back up propane generator, and just filled the bulk tank at the old pre-panic price, and did that with one day to spare. That should keep the freezers and fridge running till I can make a canning plan if needed.

Should be in pretty good shape if the power grid goes down.

Too bad I lost all my guns and ammo when my boat sunk.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Chit is about to real.

Enter the freezer gun, Black Ice...

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ihookem
"Leanwolf , thank you for telling us that. I am not sure what I would do. Did they take any food from you?? ...

iHookem, as far as I remember, no, the government man did not take any of my mother's food. I'll never forget being on the stairs down to our basement watching the man count my mother's canned food and listing everything and amounts in his notebook. Then he opened the ration book and tore out a bunch of food stamps which matched the jars and cans of our food. He also noted our chickens and they were counted. I'm not sure but I think I remember my older brother had a hutch of rabbits. If so, I know they were counted, too.

After the man left, I remember my mother sitting down and crying.

One thing about those times that would never be possible if my little "fantasy" I posted came to pass. Back during WW II, a housewife could trade an unwanted ration stamp with a neighbor woman for some stamp she didn't want for her family. With digital ration books, that'd be impossible. The Government computer would immediately catch it and the red flags would go up. Remember, with the Government politicians and bureaucrats, it's all about POWER and CONTROL. To them, to achieve their goals, nothing is "out of bounds."

As an aside, several years ago at a high school reunion I was speaking with several of my old classmates from the tiny school from which we graduated. During the "Hey, do you remember ______________ ??," conversations, I asked them if they remembered FDR's Government man counting their mothers' food after WW II began? All of my old friends said they did. Traumatic events are quite often indelible in our minds.

Probably just my fantasy, but as the old saying goes, "Never say 'Never'." smile

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have a good bit of pork from the recent hog hunt, whitetail and pronghorn from last fall and year round axis abound around the property so I am feeling OK.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Think we will be ok

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Don’t forget to hoard TP.

“What goes in must come out….”

Old Chinese proverb.

You would Crack up if you were to see my stash of Charmin.
Hundreds of the big rolls

bidet works wonders

A bidet, and one of those combo mutts like a "Labradoodle" just might serve a useful purpose.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Here in EP, I'm likely screwed if a prolonged shortage hits the US/TX. I have limited space, but my 2 small freezers (~8 cu ft) are pretty well packed, though I have a bit of room left. I have about 30 lbs. of beef (roasts/ground) & 10 lbs of chicken in the freezer. I also have frozen fish/shrimp, bread, bacon, sausages, canned and frozen vegetables, 25 lbs. of rice, various canned goods including meats/fish, salt, spices, dry goods: cornmeal, beans, lentils, split pea, pasta, etc. - almost as much as I can store in my limited space. I also have 2 10'x20' storage spaces, but it gets way too hot in them to store foodstuffs. This past Saturday, I spent $300.00 at Costco stocking up. Next run to Costco I'll get a giant bag of flour and more canned goods. My plan is to have enough food stored here for me and my daughter when the shortage becomes untenable, b/c I know my ex has made no preparations at all.

Unfortunately, I was unable to lay in any venison, wild hog or turkey this year since my buddy sold his ranch - a sad deal, but another story entirely. At least he still has his lake house if he finds he must escape the big city.

Brother in Big D has begun to make some decent preparations at the folks house since they have an acre of land, but he has a long way to go. So far he's put in a chicken coup w/ 6 chickens, which started laying a few weeks ago and he's covered up in eggs now - he's had to start giving eggs away to family and friends. He put in a sizable (~60'x30') garden last year and he's already started planting. Fruit trees are a bit over 3 years old, so maybe they'll start producing this year. He needs to start accumulating canning gear, which I told him to do last year, and he also needs to start accumulating dry goods. I may advise him to put in a hog 'waller as well - there's plenty of space there and plenty of freezer room. Dad's got two Furman dual fuel generators and he's currently researching whole-house generators as well.

If worse comes to worse, I can always drive my daughter to Big D if I run out of food and there's one to be found here - provided he has made adequate preparations and provided I can lay in enough fuel to get there.

Not ideal, I know, but it's about the best I can do right now.

Here in EP, I'm likely screwed if a prolonged shortage hits the US/TX. I have limited space, but my 2 small freezers (~8 cu ft) are pretty well packed, though I have a bit of room left. I have about 30 lbs. of beef (roasts/ground) & 10 lbs of chicken in the freezer. I also have frozen fish/shrimp, bread, bacon, sausages, canned and frozen vegetables, 25 lbs. of rice, various canned goods including meats/fish, salt, spices, dry goods: cornmeal, beans, lentils, split pea, pasta, etc. - almost as much as I can store in my limited space. I also have 2 10'x20' storage spaces, but it gets way too hot in them to store foodstuffs. This past Saturday, I spent $300.00 at Costco stocking up. Next run to Costco I'll get a giant bag of flour and more canned goods. My plan is to have enough food stored here for me and my daughter when the shortage becomes untenable, b/c I know my ex has made no preparations at all.

Unfortunately, I was unable to lay in any venison, wild hog or turkey this year since my buddy sold his ranch - a sad deal, but another story entirely. At least he still has his lake house if he finds he must escape the big city.

Brother in Big D has begun to make some decent preparations at the folks house since they have an acre of land, but he has a long way to go. So far he's put in a chicken coup w/ 6 chickens, which started laying a few weeks ago and he's covered up in eggs now - he's had to start giving eggs away to family and friends. He put in a sizable (~60'x30') garden last year and he's already started planting. Fruit trees are a bit over 3 years old, so maybe they'll start producing this year. He needs to start accumulating canning gear, which I told him to do last year, and he also needs to start accumulating dry goods. I may advise him to put in a hog 'waller as well - there's plenty of space there and plenty of freezer room. Dad's got two Furman dual fuel generators and he's currently researching whole-house generators as well.

If worse comes to worse, I can always drive my daughter to Big D if I run out of food and there's one to be found here - provided he has made adequate preparations and provided I can lay in enough fuel to get there.

Stock some freeze dried food, High Noon

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Teal
Talked to a farmer friend of mine. If gas was subject to the same increases in fertilizer - gas would be 17 a gallon right now.

I'd be curious to know -

1. Given how much food this country wastes and raw commodities it exports - is it really possible to go hungry or would we simply re-evaluate how we eat? Too many people buy "meals" and not "ingredients" - that is people are paying 20 bucks for a meal that they could get the ingredients for at 9 bucks and make themselves. So to speak.
2. Does a lack of fertilizer really mean no food? Lower yield doesn't mean they don't plant it completely - they may switch crops but the math will become supply/demand on new crop EVERYONE'S growing vs lower yield but higher supply/demand delta = more money on the other stuff.

It means farmers are going to lose their ass

R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
try it, you'll like it

Originally Posted by JackRyan
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Don’t forget to hoard TP.

“What goes in must come out….”

Old Chinese proverb.

You would Crack up if you were to see my stash of Charmin.
Hundreds of the big rolls

bidet works wonders

A bidet, and one of those combo mutts like a "Labradoodle" just might serve a useful purpose.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Full freezers, lots jarred, and more than abundant fish and wildlife on my doorstep.

That being said, starving for a few weeks wouldn’t hurt me none. Grin

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Thanks - I'll look into that.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Constantly, at about 40 cubic ft worth. Just hope we never have a 3-week power outage

1Minute
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I keep these handy in most rooms and cars/trucks.

They can be useful in a pinch.

Please call before you stop by... just saying.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Thanks - I'll look into that.

Picked up a lot of mine from Midway as they had their $49 free shipping promotions.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. My Patriot Supply looks good and has free shipping as well.

Last edited by High_Noon; 03/15/22.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I hate to throw a pall over the plans and efforts you boys are making but if a true food crisis does develop in this country, the President and politicians in D.C. will "requisition" your food supplies. All, of course, in the name of distribution to those millions of unprepared and "needy citizens" who have nothing to eat.

A gigantic, overwhelming Government Agency will be established and thousands of bureaucrats will be hired to fan out throughout America checking each house for stored food. Maybe call the Agency "FIFF," "Fairness In Food Forever." The politicians and bureaucrats are well aware that selfish, radical "preppers" all over the country have been storing tons of food for emergencies for years. Food that can when distributed correctly to "needy" people, save the lives of the needy, especially the children who are starving.

Anyone who resists will be declared "An Enemy Of The People," with subsequent punishment including "Elimination with Extreme Prejudice."

The food will be loaded into trucks, both refrigerated and regular, and each "willing, cooperative donor," will receive a ration book with coupons good for certain foods at the local FIFF warehouse to feed individuals and family members according to their needs as established by the FIFF bureaucrats. Probably be a "digital" ration book so the FIFF bureaucrats can make certain no one is a "non-patriotic" recalcitrant.

Of course, it will be for the overall good of the Country and FIFF will remain in place until the "crisis" is over... someday in the distant future.

Thinking that could not happen here? Now I know all you boys and girls are thinking, Ol' Leanwolf is letting his overly active, fertile imagination run away with him ... but something very similar has happened in this country before. It was called "Mandatory Rationing" during WW II, put into place by one of the 'Fire's great political favorites, FDR (Federal Deficit Roosevelt.) All over the Nation, people's homes were invaded by Government employees to count the foods people had, plus farm animals, etc. Then according to the foods counted by the bureaucrats the "tickets" in ration books corresponding to the foods counted, were removed from the ration books. You could not go to a grocery store and buy those items without the proper ration tickets.

I was only four years old when the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor, but I remember a bureaucrat coming to our home and counting all the food we had including the many quart jars of canned food my mother had put up from our large garden. My mother and dad did not like it, but it was WAR!! and they were Patriotic. That's the way it was in 1942. The Government ordered: people obeyed.

Don't think that some form of this can't happen again.

FWIW.

L.W. ( Your favorite skeptic.)

LOL. I"d suggest they not try that this go round if anything actually happens. Would not be good for the people sent door to door. They would be told no.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ihookem
Also, Teal mentioned a real good point when he mentions wasted food. This country wastes 30% of the food we buy. It is the biggest waste in our household. It drives me crazy but the wife buys a lot and some goes to waste. If we have a shortage on food, this will be the first thing America will have to do and then we will have enough, might not be plenty, however, there is hardly a person in this country that would be in need if they cut their food intake by 25%, including me. We could , consume 50% of the food and be just fine. Hard to believe , but it is true.

My mother wastes at least 50% if not more of food she has bought her whole life. Says its a depression thing, buy as much as you can and sit on it.

I despise this and we have words over her stupidity quite often. She sets a piss poor example. Its a dang shame.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Yep.
Chicken, fish, a whole steer, and lots of veggies, corn dogs, egg rolls, Buffalo wings, etc, in 4 freezers, plus a big pantry with boxed, and canned goods.
We're good.

smart fellow

Smart folks have food that won't go bad when the power goes out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cluggins
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Yep.
Chicken, fish, a whole steer, and lots of veggies, corn dogs, egg rolls, Buffalo wings, etc, in 4 freezers, plus a big pantry with boxed, and canned goods.
We're good.

smart fellow

Smart folks have food that won't go bad when the power goes out.

Exactly, or have enough jars at hand to can it all if the power does go out.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by CashisKing
I keep these handy in most rooms and cars/trucks.

They can be useful in a pinch.

Please call before you stop by... just saying.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Can I borrow a cup of flour neighbor?
grin

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 406_SBC, 19 invisible), 2,782 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,778
Posts18,536,004
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.