Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
https://www.zerohedge.com/commodities/media-isnt-warning-you-america-careening-towards-food-crisis

Are people paying attention?

I have 3 deer, an elk and a lamb. Plus a bunch of frozen veggies. Canned fish and deer this past winter

Last edited by ribka; 03/14/22.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yep

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yep and got another half of beef on its way end of month .

Last edited by pete53; 03/14/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep.
Chicken, fish, a whole steer, and lots of veggies, corn dogs, egg rolls, Buffalo wings, etc, in 4 freezers, plus a big pantry with boxed, and canned goods.
We're good.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ribka
https://www.zerohedge.com/commodities/media-isnt-warning-you-america-careening-towards-food-crisis

I have 3 deer, an elk and a lamb. Plus a bunch of frozen veggies. Canned fish and deer this past winter

3 freezers full here and a well stocked pantry. Hoping that the electricity stays on.

I doubt that the majority of folks are paying attention. Hot water comes out of the tap, the tv comes on and Taco Bell is still in business. All is well.

The larger inner cities could get a lot sportier than they already are.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wife's doing a lot of canning including meats...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Tell me about canning fish? I can vegetables, fruit deer, chickens, and so on, but I've never heard of canning fish?

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Houston_2

Hoping that the electricity stays on.

I suppose that is the wild card.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Yep.
Chicken, fish, a whole steer, and lots of veggies, corn dogs, egg rolls, Buffalo wings, etc, in 4 freezers, plus a big pantry with boxed, and canned goods.
We're good.

smart fellow

R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
duel fuel gennie hooked up. Thank God plumbed for nat gas. And canned a lot more than usual this past year

Originally Posted by RJY66

Last edited by ribka; 03/14/22.
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

3 freezers full here and a well stocked pantry. Hoping that the electricity stays on.

I doubt that the majority of folks are paying attention. Hot water comes out of the tap, the tv comes on and Taco Bell is still in business. All is well.

The larger inner cities could get a lot sportier than they already are.

[i][/i][u][/u]

There's the rub.
SHTF bad enough gennies aren't going to save all that frozen food.
Yes I have a freezer full too, it's never going to be enough.
Nothing but bad choices and worse choices coming.

Oh, am I supposed to have some pithy saying here? Sorry, not today.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Possibly !!!!!

grin

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Electricity, is the key in my view. Canned stuff keeps, frozen won’t.

NRA Patron
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
duel fuel gennie hooked up. Thank God plumbed for nat gas. And canned a lot more than usual this past year

Originally Posted by RJY66

Good move and prep on the dual fuel generator. I’ve got a large enough portable gasoline gen and a tractor pto gen but fuel,,,??

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by dale06
Electricity, is the key in my view. Canned stuff keeps, frozen won’t.

Regional grocer had canned green beans & canned corn @ .50 can over the weekend.
Added 40 cans to our stash.

FJB & FJT
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Talked to a farmer friend of mine. If gas was subject to the same increases in fertilizer - gas would be 17 a gallon right now.

I'd be curious to know -

1. Given how much food this country wastes and raw commodities it exports - is it really possible to go hungry or would we simply re-evaluate how we eat? Too many people buy "meals" and not "ingredients" - that is people are paying 20 bucks for a meal that they could get the ingredients for at 9 bucks and make themselves. So to speak.
2. Does a lack of fertilizer really mean no food? Lower yield doesn't mean they don't plant it completely - they may switch crops but the math will become supply/demand on new crop EVERYONE'S growing vs lower yield but higher supply/demand delta = more money on the other stuff.

Me

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Bought a 4patriots solar generator for shtf to power my freezer in summer and heater in winter

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by J23

Tell me about canning fish? I can vegetables, fruit deer, chickens, and so on, but I've never heard of canning fish?

J23;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking to be a good one for you and you're all well.

There's a bunch of videos on this, so I pulled one off the top that I honestly didn't watch all of, but she seems pretty thorough.

Where I grew up in Saskatchewan the Romanian/Ukrainian and often Mennonite folks used to go down to the sucker runs in spring and catch washtubs full. When I asked them how they cooked them, they all replied that they pressure canned them.

While I can't say this with certainty, they claimed it was tough to tell the difference between it and say canned tuna or salmon other than texture.

Hopefully this is useful for you or someone out there.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by IA_fog
Bought a 4patriots solar generator for shtf to power my freezer in summer and heater in winter

Can you tell us more about what you have, how it’s connected, how you phase it inand out.

Would appreciate it if you have the time.

Good thread.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Knowing how to smoke/dry meat is probably as important if not more than the freezer.

Lasts a long time - not dependent on electricity.

Me

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (10Glocks, arky65, afisher, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 11 invisible), 1,519 guests, and 797 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,600
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.