Home
Posted By: Leanwolf Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/15/22
This man, John Allen, does. He relates seeing one when he was 16. Scared him to death. He also is a good story teller.

L.W.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/15/22
They are more believable than Q or Biden.

But not by much.
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/15/22
No. I believe in spirits, but not the ghosts of the deceased
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
This man, John Allen, does. He relates seeing one when he was 16. Scared him to death. He also is a good story teller.

L.W.
I like that channel. He’s an excellent story teller.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/15/22
No.
I know that ghosts are real. My girlfriend has a house in Atlanta that was built in 1939. First four or five times I spent the night in that house the ghosts just about ran me ragged.

My buddy was in medical school in Augusta Georgia at that time, he and his wife came over to spend the night. I told Dwight not to mess with the ghost. Told him not to say a thing, and the ghosts would let themselves be known. Dwight entered the living room and did the macho number. He said "Here I am ghost, show me what you got you badass!"

Macho man Dwight.

About 6:30 am the next morning, we heard the Nissan crank up, and Dwight and his wife were gone, without breakfast, or a word of goodbye. Hell I was still asleep. Dwight rolling down I20 back to Augusta. The ghosts had run Dwight out of the house.

I am not telling you that you must believe in ghosts. You believe what you want.

But I know that ghosts are real.

"There are more things in heaven and earth,
than are dreamed of in your philosophy..."
Hell no . The only ghost I believe in is the Holy Ghost.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/15/22
No, non in the woods either.
Originally Posted by EddieSouthgate
Hell no . The only ghost I believe in is the Holy Ghost.

Yep.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/15/22
The Bible clearly states that there is no communication between the living and the dead. None. It also clearly states that demons are real. They're not dead people and have never been people. They're angels who rebelled against God and were thrown out of heaven along with their leader, Satan. They're very real and dangerous beyond imagination. People who get into seances and the like have no idea of the evil power they're messing with.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The Bible clearly states that there is no communication between the living and the dead. None. It also clearly states that demons are real. They're not dead people and have never been people. They're angels who rebelled against God and were thrown out of heaven along with their leader, Satan. They're very real and dangerous beyond imagination. People who get into seances and the like have no idea of the evil power they're messing with.

Anything like that is from Satan. Pure Evil.
Not ghosts of dead relatives.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/15/22
Truth...
Posted By: GreggH Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/15/22
Rock Chuck has it nailed

GreggH
I think that Satan exists, and I believe that there are demons. I think that people who mess with the Ouija Board are getting in way over their heads, as they may be inviting demons into their lives. I try to steer clear of Satan and demons.

But I also believe that there are ghosts out there that are not malignant. I guess I can't be a Christian.

And when Shakespeare said

"There are more things in heaven and earth'

I guess Shakespeare wasn't a Christian, either.
Posted By: Cecil56 Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/15/22
Strangest one I had happened about 25 years ago. Couple of LDS Missionaries came to visit one night. Got kinda drunk one night, they came knocking, and I let them in. Nice gals, so I let them come back a few more times. We kind of built up a friendship. Anyway, my GF had got killed in an accident a couple years earlier.

The LDS came for a visit and left. They both sat on the couch, me in a chair. They left and I returned to my chair. I could smell my GF there at the chair, clear as day! Neither of the gals had even touched it, so it could not have been them. Plus, if you ever slept with someone for a couple years, you know "their smell". Skin, hair, etc. The LDS were great people, the ones I met. It just kind of spooked me out.

I have nothing bad to say about LDS, some of the nicest people I have ever met! It was just that one very strange experience that scared me away. I have no explanations for that night.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/15/22
I've seen and heard things I can't explain. So yes.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/15/22
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I think that Satan exists, and I believe that there are demons. I think that people who mess with the Ouija Board are getting in way over their heads, as they may be inviting demons into their lives. I try to steer clear of Satan and demons.

But I also believe that there are ghosts out there that are not malignant. I guess I can't be a Christian.

Good post.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/15/22
Kills me how folks on TV shows and other make claims that certain spirits are specific passed folks.

How do they know the ghost isnt a demon lying?

Just leave all of it alone.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Don't believe in ghosts..per say. Wife thinks we have something in our house. So far 95% of the crap I could explain. Being touched was weird but I think that was my mind playing games.

Ouija board was mass produced by Milton Bradley for fugs sake. It's a board game that uses your brain against you.
Posted By: 250Sav_age Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
No ghosts, boogeymen, demons, devil, whatever.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
I might be more inclined to believe in ghosts if every description of them didn't say what they were wearing.

I *might* be able to believe that a living being leaves an energy behind that can be observed,...but hats don't leave a ghost behind,...pants don't leave a ghost behind,...dresses don't leave a ghost behind,....boots don't leave a ghost behind.

Way I see it,...any ghost you encounter is gonna be nekkid,,....or it ain't a ghost.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I might be more inclined to believe in ghosts if every description of them didn't say what they were wearing.

I *might* be able to believe that a living being leaves an energy behind that can be observed,...but hats don't leave a ghost behind,...pants don't leave a ghost behind,...dresses don't leave a ghost behind,....boots don't leave a ghost behind.

Way I see it,...any ghost you encounter is gonna be nekkid,,....or it ain't a ghost.

Never thought of that but seems like it makes alot of sense!
I to this day have no idea if it was a ghost or what the hell it was but have had one weird "encounter"

Was probably 11 or so and was camping near the Gettysburg Battlefield with my scout troop. One day we went to an area of the battlefield called "Devils Den" basically an area of huge boulders all piled around. Myself and 2 friends were crawling amongst the rocks through what were almost tunnels and were in a dark open area that was completely under the rocks. We got disoriented and couldnt find the way we got into this area or a way out. We were beginning to panic a bit when we all heard a clear voice saying "come this way". Sounded like the voice of a male teenager. Went towards the voice and it led us to a "tunnel" that went to the outside of the rock jumble. The same voice was heard telling us to keep coming while we were in the exit "tunnel". When we exited our den leader and his wife were nearby and and when we told them we would've been stuck in there if not for the help from some person they said NO ONE had come out the tunnel before us and there was no one around whos voice would have matched what we heard!!!
I know that ghosts are real. My girlfriend has a house in Atlanta that was built in 1939. First four or five times I spent the night in that house the ghosts just about ran me ragged.

My buddy was in medical school in Augusta Georgia at that time, he and his wife came over to spend the night. I told Dwight not to mess with the ghost. Told him not to say a thing, and the ghosts would let themselves be known. Dwight entered the living room and did the macho number. He said "Here I am ghost, show me what you got you badass!"

Macho man Dwight.

About 6:30 am the next morning, we heard the Nissan crank up, and Dwight and his wife were gone, without breakfast, or a word of goodbye. Hell I was still asleep. Dwight rolling down I20 back to Augusta. The ghosts had run Dwight out of the house.

I am not telling you that you must believe in ghosts. You believe what you want.

But I know that ghosts are real.

We have a house in our family like that, up in New York State, an old farmhouse that dates back to the mid-19th Century at least tho added on to over the years. It has run off a number of visitors, tho none have left without saying goodbye. When I stay there I sleep outside, its just easier.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
“My name is Legion, for we are many”

Never seen one, but I have felt their presence a few times. Once was my Great Great grandfather when I was a kid. I was in a fire. I woke to his voice urging me to do this and I was able to get out unharmed.

A friend of mine from PA, one of the soberest guys I know, has visited Gettysburg at night several times and speaks of floating orbs and regiments dressed in Colonial style garb to be seen on occasion.
Originally Posted by marktheshark
I to this day have no idea if it was a ghost or what the hell it was but have had one weird "encounter"

Was probably 11 or so and was camping near the Gettysburg Battlefield with my scout troop. One day we went to an area of the battlefield called "Devils Den" basically an area of huge boulders all piled around. Myself and 2 friends were crawling amongst the rocks through what were almost tunnels and were in a dark open area that was completely under the rocks. We got disoriented and couldnt find the way we got into this area or a way out. We were beginning to panic a bit when we all heard a clear voice saying "come this way". Sounded like the voice of a male teenager. Went towards the voice and it led us to a "tunnel" that went to the outside of the rock jumble. The same voice was heard telling us to keep coming while we were in the exit "tunnel". When we exited our den leader and his wife were nearby and and when we told them we would've been stuck in there if not for the help from some person they said NO ONE had come out the tunnel before us and there was no one around whos voice would have matched what we heard!!!

Had my kids at Gettysburg several years ago. While driving on the road down near Devils Den there was a huge black snake halfway across the road. I swerved around it and when I looked in my drivers side mirror the snake had it's head up probably 6 inches off the road looking at me. Freaked me out. Asked about it in one of the gift shops in town and they were all aware of the local snake.

I took many pictures also all around there with my digital camera. I was surprised by many orbs in the pics.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Nope

Maybe that's why some of them use bed sheets?
Posted By: blanket Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Same here
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm

LOL!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
I Believe in The Holy Ghost.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm

lol

TOGA TOGA TOGA!!
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Eggzackly
Posted By: hanco Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
No but I had some good watermelon today!
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Yes.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Well......scary old Trump haunts the Lefties in their brain every day.
Never seen or “felt” anything I thought was a ghost, a presence, evil, ufo, alien, bigfoot, giant bird, extinct woodpecker, chupacabra, spirit ship, etc.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Sure.

How could there not be ghosts?
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
I believe that demons and evil spirits exist, and I believe that we’re involved in a spiritual war for the soul of ourselves and our nation. This is as plain as the nose on your face. This country is under control of evil Influences and some very evil people.
I also believe in spiritual energy that can and does occasionally manifest itself into physical surroundings. Some people are able to pick up on this, but I think most people are not.
I myself have never had a ghostly experience, but Dad and his mother were both firm believers. Both have related stories to me, and many other friends and relatives as well. Too many for me to say that ghostly stuff doesn’t happen.
I don’t go in for seances, fortune telling or ouija boards. I believe that stuff opens up doors better left closed.
But I do believe that God will and does allow a certain amount of “messages” to be passed by deceased family members to comfort their survivors.
A while back we had a thread about near death experiences and seeing loved ones who had passed on. I completely believe that a Loving God would allow us a guide that we know and trust to help us through rough times and scary experiences.
7mm
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
I believe that we’re involved in a spiritual war for the soul of ourselves and our nation. This is as plain as the nose on your face.
7mm

I see that also. Romans 1 starting at chapter 18 sounds like today's news.
Posted By: killerv Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Yes

Had a buddy growing up that lived in an old 1800s home, said a little ghost boy would come try to wake him up at night and try to get him to come play. They moved.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Y'all need to aks renegade.

^^^^^ THis. I do believe in the Rougaroo and Sasquatch though grin
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I have never felt fear like that in my life.
And I have been able to overcome fear and work with it and set it aside in some pretty schitty situations from conditioning, training, and drilled in reaction.

Even thinking about ghost shawl lady and tree peakers at times gives me goosebumps on my forearms or raises the hair on em.

People can laugh or whatever.
I know what the fuuuck I seen on those 1st 2 mornings and I know what I experienced that 3rd morning.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
Originally Posted by marktheshark

Had my kids at Gettysburg several years ago. While driving on the road down near Devils Den there was a huge black snake halfway across the road. I swerved around it and when I looked in my drivers side mirror the snake had it's head up probably 6 inches off the road looking at me. Freaked me out. Asked about it in one of the gift shops in town and they were all aware of the local snake.

I took many pictures also all around there with my digital camera. I was surprised by many orbs in the pics.

Why would driving past a snake in the road freak you out? And what does that have to do with ghost?
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
A few years back ole Boudreaux went to pickup little Boudreaux at that big school in Baton Rouge. Lil Boo was not ready so ole Boo was wondering around campus and ended up in the auditorium. A man started speaking and Boudreaux being a county boy found this interesting.

The speaker first asked who believes in ghost? Nearly everybody raised their hands, including Boudreaux.
He then asked has anybody seen a ghost? Still plenty of hands were in the air and Boudreaux was still waiving his arm.
The next question was have you talked to a ghost? Boudreaux and just a few others raised there hands.

The speaker said the next question is a little personal but who in here has had sex with a ghost? Only ole Boudreaux raised his hand. The speaker invited him on stage, got real close, and asked what was it like to have sex with a ghost.

Boudreaux looked at him and replied, I am so embarrassed. I thought you were saying goats.
Posted By: pullit Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
No
I’ve read that Devil’s Den got its name from an Indian legend involving that area and a demon or evil spirit that lived in those rocks as a gigantic black serpent.
This was well before the War between the States. That area was first settled by whites in the 1730s, 40s and ‘50s.
When Ben was young, he had the collection of Books “Gohst of Gettysburg “.
They’re actually pretty good reading.
When Penny and I go, we usually reserve one evening to spend around the tower on Doubleday Avenue. Iverson’s Pits are located in the field across the road. Supposed to be the most haunted place on the field.
There have been a couple times I felt a very eerie presence, and she swore she heard a horse trot last.
We usually spend a couple days there, and we take in a “Ghost Walk” as well. They’re pretty entertaining.
7mm
Edited to add this link.
Iverson’s Pits
Posted By: Huntz Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
We had one in our previous house.At one time or another everyone in the family saw HER.The Previous owners wife had died there from cancer.She would often appear on the stairs or an upstairs bedroom.She never tried to scare anyone and I think was not aware that we were there.Not malevolent at all.No form of communication at all.I believe her spirit(soul) did not understand she was dead.
My great aunt on Dad’s side had a small house in Pleasantville across from the old post office.
In the early 70s, my parents would take her to Philadelphia once or twice a month for Chemo. (at that time most hospitals didn’t offer it)
The last time they took her, she knew the jig was up. Dad said she went around rubbing her hands and kissing the walls, saying “Goodbye little house” and things like that.
Many years later, Dad was coming out of the post office and saw an older lady looking out the second story window. A couple days later he ran into the current owner, a young fellow who lived there with his wife.
He asked him if his mother was visiting, and told him what he’d seen.
“Oh, you mean the ‘Lady in White’!” He told Dad that the house was inhabited by this spirit they’d both seen numerous times.
Dad died convinced that it was his Aunt Garnet looking out the window that day!
7mm
Posted By: AKduck Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Yes. Yes I do. Grew up in Central Texas in a house built in 1865.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Satan's game is to get you to believe in anything that's against Jesus. These 'ghosts' are his demons, sent to deceive you. Yes, many times people have seen spirits, haints, whatever you want to call them, but none of them are departed souls. They're Satan's followers deceiving you.
Posted By: plumbum Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
I believe that people believe in ghosts.

When Jesus walked on water, some disciples thought he might have been a spirit.

They may or may not exist, but they are none of my business. No good has ever come from them.
Only the Holy Ghost.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Originally Posted by renegade50
And I have been able to overcome fear and work with it and set it aside in some pretty schitty situations from conditioning, training, and drilled in reaction.

Even thinking about ghost shawl lady and tree peakers at times gives me goosebumps on my forearms or raises the hair on em.

I know what the fuuuck I seen on those 1st 2 mornings and I know what I experienced that 3rd morning.
Those that don't believe...................won't

Whatever they are, ghosts, spirits, whatever name from whatever culture you want to give them.............I'm with you. They're out there.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
I think stuff exists, but most likely not what people think it to be.

Stay away from it.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
The Bible clearly states that there is no communication between the living and the dead. None.

Well, it's not quite as clear as all that...

If you check out I Samuel 28, when Saul conned the witch of Endor to conjure up the spirit of Samuel, the scripture clearly states that it was the spirit of Samuel himself, i.e., a "ghost". So it's pretty hard to unequivocally state that the Bible says there is no communication between the living and dead. It may not be a common thing, and by scripture it is certainly a forbidden thing to do, but the example of Saul and Samuel seems to indicate it is indeed possible.

Now, I've heard all kinds of convoluted logic by preachers saying that it wasn't Samuel, it was a demon, or "a gods coming out of the earth" in the witch's words, but the scripture passage states pretty clearly that, yep, it was Samuel's ghost and nobody else. So I'm inclined to take the scripture at its face value.

It also clearly states that demons are real. They're not dead people and have never been people. They're angels who rebelled against God and were thrown out of heaven along with their leader, Satan. They're very real and dangerous beyond imagination. People who get into seances and the like have no idea of the evil power they're messing with.

There is no question in my mind that Satan/Lucifer is a real person, a fallen angel, and the Prince of this world. He has minions (not cute yellow capsules in denim overalls, unfortunately), and I believe that most of the paranormal activity that people ascribe to "ghosts" of living people are actions of these agents of evil.

But I also believe that the spiritual world, as part of the time-space continuum, is far more complex than most religious people give credit to. C.S. Lewis touched on this in his writings on several occasions, in The Great Divorce, in Mere Christianity, in his science fiction trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandria, and That Hideous Strength), and of course in his Narnia series. Aquinas touches on it briefly in parts of his Summa Theologica, but I'm danged if I can give you a citation for that, it's 40 years since I cracked Summa.

C.S. Lewis explained it best, I think, by saying that there are echoes of the spiritual forces at play at the beginning of the world(s) that we encounter from time to time. If you think of them in physical terms as wave phenomena (which is what sonic echoes are, of course) there will be times and places where these echoes will pile up to have greater amplitude and become more apparent. Events in the past that had great spiritual impact, such as the deaths of many people at one place and time, may have spiritual echoes that are strongest at a physical location, such as a battlefield.

I myself have experienced a very strong sense of these spiritual echoes in a couple of places. The one most of us here on the 'Fire would recognize was/is the Little Bighorn Battlefield. My first visit to the battlefield happened on an afternoon in April of 1996. I arrived at the battlefield at about 3 pm. It was a cold and blustery afternoon, heavily overcast, and a mofo of a blizzard was on its way in. The guy in the Smokey the Bear hat told me I was the only person there that day, due to the weather I guess. I bought an interpretive map and drove up into the park and promised him I'd be back by the time he was going to close the gates at 5.

I was very familiar with the place from reading many, many books over the years, but it was an entirely new thing to drive up into the battlefield that day and see it with my own eyes. I drove all the way to Reno Hill to start my exploration. I got out of my minivan with my dog and we nosed around the hill. I found several of the shallow rifle pits that made the western perimeter of the defensive position, and laid down in them, trying to imagine the lines of sight I would have with a Springfield rifle. It was interesting... I realized I couldn't see damn all from down there, just a small sector of the slope up from the river. Interesting, but not spooky. I poked my way around back toward the Custer monument over the next hour or so, stopping and getting out to examine some of the headstones along the way, examining the topography, and so forth. I made it back to the road above the monument shortly before 5 pm. I got out again, and I had the unshakable sense that there was someone coming along the road behind me. When I turned and looked there was no one there, of course. But I could feel someone there. Several someones, actually, and on horseback. The wind was out of the northwest, and cold, but I could smell horse sweat. You don't have to be a horseman to know that horses don't smell much like sweat when it's 35 degrees out, but they sure as hell do on a hot June afternoon on the Montana plains.

A couple years later I was on a flight from Minneapolis to Portland, and fell asleep. I had a dream about battle, vague and chaotic, and woke up with a start. My wife asked me what was up, and I said to her, "I think we're over the Little Bighorn Battlefield." I looked out the window, and there it was, 30,000 feet below and a few miles north of our line of flight. The line of the river and the interstate running through there is topographically unmistakable.

Ghosts? I dunno. But there was something there that was not of the natural world, and I've felt it every time I've visited that place. Never as strong as that first time, though, when I was the sole living person on those hills. Perhaps there was less psychic interference from other people, or maybe the dark wintry twilight played havoc with my imagination. I dunno. But it sure felt real at the time and there's no mistaking the smell of horse sweat...

Other people have told me similar experiences at Civil War battlefields.
Posted By: Teal Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear. Matthew 14:26, NIV
"Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have." Luke 24:39, NIV

Jesus did not deny the existence of ghosts; He simply said He wasn't one. So I can imagine there's a lot of confusion. In the Gospel of Matthew, the disciples saw Moses and Elijah (who had not yet resurrected) with Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration (Matt. 17:1–9).

My faith basically says - along with Scripture it forbids divination or necromancy—summoning the dead or other practices meant to seek forbidden knowledge (e.g., Deut. 18:11 cf. Lev. 19:31; 20:6, 27; CCC 2116). Which is a bit different than saying "there's a ghost"
Posted By: 250Sav_age Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
It's funny when people discuss haints, demons and little green men.
Posted By: ribka Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
I just saw the Ghost of Kiiv. He was wearing women clothes and high heels like Zelenskiy

Quite the ghost and no I am not lying
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
...whats bugged me about ghost sightings...forever..... is that ghosts typically appear in "period correct" dress?
I mean WTF , I can see a spirit sticking around but for some reason It would seem more difficult for his/her kit.
Particularly in the case of Civil War muskets, They weigh a lot. I'd SAF hate to schlepp one of those to eternity.

...and get this , who's ever reported seeing a naked ghost? I'd have thought Marilyn Monroe would have stuck around to rat out the Kennedy Brothers after their involvement?

Makes no sense
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
If Jesus mentioned Ghost, then there are ghost.
Posted By: MadDog4298 Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Originally Posted by 250Sav_age
It's funny when people discuss haints, demons and little green men.
True story an older gentleman in our town smoked for over 50 years and decided to quite with the help of a drug call Chantex(spelling?) . Well everything went well for a day and then he went to hallucinating and seeing green men walking around and he thought they were real. His family called the ambulance and they figured out real quick it was a side affect of the drug so he quit taking it. He’s still alive today and quit smoking!!!
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Originally Posted by renegade50

No laughs here
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
I personally believe that there are many dimensions. And that time as we perceive it is merely an illusion. That is to say we can only experience it one way. Other being might be able to move back and forth on a timeline. God can see all of time and all of creation laid out before him. He can see everything that has happened, is happening, and will happen laid out before him as the great NOW. Thus it is all happening simultaneously to him. And perhaps, other beings as well are more perceptive of this and able to move in other dimensions more freely. I believe the spirit world is largely just that, another dimension with beings who inhabit it like we inhabit ours.

Anyway, from time to time I believe these beings may dip into our dimension and we are able to perceive them, a little like a fish might see a hand thrust into the water without seeing the human it is attached to. He sees it come in and go out. He doesn’t know where it came from or where it went. To him it was there and now it is gone. Some ghosts are like that.

And since I think time is more or less happening all the time everything at once. That means in some respect the battle of Gettysburg is still being fought and will continue to be so forever. So, sometimes this bleeds over into our dimension or certain persons are able to perceive it as though through a glass, darkly.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22

I think christians believe in demons AND the Holy Ghost.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
I strongly believe that as mere humans, we don't know, what we don't know.
That's as deep as I get.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Satan's game is to get you to believe in anything that's against Jesus. These 'ghosts' are his demons, sent to deceive you. Yes, many times people have seen spirits, haints, whatever you want to call them, but none of them are departed souls. They're Satan's followers deceiving you.

RC,

What’s the deception, and if it’s from Satan, why?

A person sees something, call it a ghost or spirit. The spirit/ghost doesn’t say or do anything. The person who saw it only has a story to tell that they saw something.

It would be different if the ghost/spirit said, go kill your cat and drinks it’s blood. Then sure, maybe it’s a demon. But just a sighting of a something that didn’t speak - To me that’s reaching to say it’s 100% satanic.

Change my mind.

🦫
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Originally Posted by reivertom
Well......scary old Trump haunts the Lefties in their brain every day.

And makes many like Piglosi and Kilery wake with fear at night.
DocRocket,

I know the exact feeling of something mystical or ghost like at the Battle of the Little Bighorn site. My logical side tells me it was my imagination and buildup to seeing a famous site that I had wanted to visit for years. IDK, but there was absolutely a feeling of something that I could almost feel and see but not quite.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Originally Posted by RUM7
That's as deep as I get.

I’d concur with that. Mysteries abound and not everything has or can be explained away.

🦫
Posted By: plumbum Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Originally Posted by Teal
When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear. Matthew 14:26, NIV
"Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have." Luke 24:39, NIV

Jesus did not deny the existence of ghosts; He simply said He wasn't one. So I can imagine there's a lot of confusion. In the Gospel of Matthew, the disciples saw Moses and Elijah (who had not yet resurrected) with Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration (Matt. 17:1–9).

My faith basically says - along with Scripture it forbids divination or necromancy—summoning the dead or other practices meant to seek forbidden knowledge (e.g., Deut. 18:11 cf. Lev. 19:31; 20:6, 27; CCC 2116). Which is a bit different than saying "there's a ghost"

I think that's exactly right.
Posted By: Rmhiter65 Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Spirits?? Yes
Ghost??No
Absolutely!…without any doubt. Our entire neighborhood is haunted. The nice house across the street has sold 4 times in the 10 years we’ve lived here with no one lasting more than 2 years. All of our local friends and neighbors will say the same thing. I don’t run and good always overcomes evil eventually so while the man and 2 little girls that seem to like our house don’t feel evil I ain’t going anywhere. I could write pages and pages of our experiences as well as our close friends but something about this localized spot is haunted. One night some kids hit “a man” that just appeared out of nowhere by our house. They got out of the car crying and emotional because they thought they had just killed someone. The car had suffered damage consistent with all of their stories (which is really weird) but there was no victim. We used flashlights and headlights and searched everywhere with nothing found. When I asked them if the man was wearing a black hoody the girls freaked out. There’s a ghost that wears a black hoody and shows up from time to time standing on the yellow line in the middle of the road. My best friend and his wife “hit” him one night coming home after dinner. My buddy swerved but said there’s no way he didn’t hit him. His wife was crying as he’s looking for the guy but he doesn’t find anything. There’s something that’s completely unexplainable here but I don’t care because I’ve always had a close, personal relationship with God and I know that with him on my side there’s nothing to worry about….
Posted By: las Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
Not until I see one myself.

But I gott say, my dogs freaked me out not long ago at our rec cabin. I was concentrating on some involved work and the random thought crossed my mind that I ought to take them for a walk. I turned around and they were both waiting at the door. The hair on the back of my neck prickled up.....

I'm either clairvoyant, or they are/were possessed by demons.

I'm going with the demons. smile
Posted By: DMc Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/16/22
The verdict on Big Foot is still out, but I believe in the Lock Ness monster and UFO’s.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
DocRocket,

I know the exact feeling of something mystical or ghost like at the Battle of the Little Bighorn site. My logical side tells me it was my imagination and buildup to seeing a famous site that I had wanted to visit for years. IDK, but there was absolutely a feeling of something that I could almost feel and see but not quite.

I had a very strong sense of "presence" there.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by RUM7
That's as deep as I get.

I’d concur with that. Mysteries abound and not everything has or can be explained away.

🦫

Wait, what? But we have (genuflection inserted here) SCIENCE that explains everything.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
Originally Posted by 5sdad
DocRocket,

10 years or so ago I was going through North Dakota Historical archives that had recently been digitized.
Among the ones I was going through was Indian interviews from Standing Rock reservation about the battle.
Sitting bull was among the interviewee’s.
He said he wasn’t a participant in the battle but among the women and child.
After the battle he roamed the battlefield and when he came across last stand hill he was startled by Custer’s spirit.
He said the spirit had not yet departed but was lingering.
I meant to get back to those archives when I had more time, but never found that volume of archives again.
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
DocRocket,

10 years or so ago I was going through North Dakota Historical archives that had recently been digitized.
Among the ones I was going through was Indian interviews from Standing Rock reservation about the battle.
After the battle he roamed the battlefield and when he came across last stand hill he was startled by Custer’s spirit.
I meant to get back to those archives when I had more time, but never found that volume of archives again.

There’s a newer Documentary out there with those interviews, including Sitting Bull’s. Can’t remember if it’s on Netflix or Amazon Prime. But I think it’s on Prime.
Posted By: blanket Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
Yes there is a presence in some places. Some are more sensitive than others.
Posted By: MTGunner Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
Do I believe in ghosts....? NO! MTG
Posted By: jdm953 Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
This.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I personally believe that there are many dimensions. And that time as we perceive it is merely an illusion. That is to say we can only experience it one way. Other being might be able to move back and forth on a timeline. God can see all of time and all of creation laid out before him. He can see everything that has happened, is happening, and will happen laid out before him as the great NOW. Thus it is all happening simultaneously to him. And perhaps, other beings as well are more perceptive of this and able to move in other dimensions more freely. I believe the spirit world is largely just that, another dimension with beings who inhabit it like we inhabit ours.

Anyway, from time to time I believe these beings may dip into our dimension and we are able to perceive them, a little like a fish might see a hand thrust into the water without seeing the human it is attached to. He sees it come in and go out. He doesn’t know where it came from or where it went. To him it was there and now it is gone. Some ghosts are like that.

And since I think time is more or less happening all the time everything at once. That means in some respect the battle of Gettysburg is still being fought and will continue to be so forever. So, sometimes this bleeds over into our dimension or certain persons are able to perceive it as though through a glass, darkly.
This.
Posted By: blanket Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
Originally Posted by stxhunter

This.
Agree
I remember reading a theory that everything that has happened, is happening, and will happen all occurs simultaneously. The analogy was that time is like a flip book - it is a series of "stills" that are always there. We have not figured out how to flip backwards, jump ahead, or stop the forward flip.
Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by stxhunter

This.
Agree
Yup, we’ll said.
Read James Lee Burke and see his description of ghostly Rebel soldiers.

Jim
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
I remember reading a theory that everything that has happened, is happening, and will happen all occurs simultaneously. The analogy was that time is like a flip book - it is a series of "stills" that are always there. We have not figured out how to flip backwards, jump ahead, or stop the forward flip.

Time is a dimension that an omnipotent being can see spread out before him. We on the other hand can only experience time on a straight line moving in one direction. We can see back but we can’t go back and we can’t see forward, we can only move forward against our will.

It explains how God knows everything while simultaneously allowing us free will. It isn’t that he knows what we will do and had foreordained it thus denying us our free will, he sees it is happening currently though to us, we haven’t reached that point in the timeline. Such a theory would also seem to imply that at least some version of reality exists at every point in the timeline. So there are, in essence many or infinite versions of ourselves each occupying different points in the timeline and moving forward separately.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
Any Roman Catholic believers that there is no communication between the living and the dead (Excluding Jesus and the Apostles that is)???

If so, do any of them believe in the Virgin of Guadalupe, Our Lady of Fatima, or the Virgin of Lourdes?

Believe in Visions of the Saints?

“That Prison of Suffering”—St. Maria Faustyna Kowalska

St. Maria Faustyna Kowalska, most commonly known as St. Faustina, was a Polish nun who claimed to have had a series of visions that included Jesus, the Eucharist, angels and various saints. It is from her visions, recorded in her diary, that the Church received the now popular devotion the Divine Mercy Chaplet. In one entry, she tells of a vision of purgatory:

“I saw my guardian angel, who ordered me to follow him. In a moment I was in a misty place full of fire in which there was a great crowd of suffering souls. They were praying fervently, but to no avail, for themselves; only we can come to their aid. The flames, which were burning them, did not touch me at all. My guardian angel did not leave me for an instant. I asked these souls what their greatest suffering was. They answered me in one voice that their greatest torment was longing for God.

“I saw Our Lady visiting the souls in purgatory. The souls call her ‘The Star of the Sea.’ She brings them refreshment. I wanted to talk with them some more, but my guardian angel beckoned me to leave. We went out of that prison of suffering. [I heard an interior voice, which said] ‘My mercy does not want this, but justice demands it. Since that time I am in closer communion with the suffering souls.’” (Diary of St. Faustina 20)

there's a couple of more on the page that ^ came from

https://aleteia.org/2013/11/01/3-sobering-visions-of-purgatory-from-the-saints/

Assuming the story of the Virgin Mary is correct, she would be considered a dead person (human spirit) communicating with presently living humans?

I'm not that familiar with any of the Protestant versions of Christianity, do any of them believe in Saints, visions, and such (Episcopal/Anglicans perhaps?)
An older story from a different forum:

“One evening my wife and I were driving back from a day in the hills. We drove past a friend's house about 6 PM. They were having a family function and a dozen or more people were gathered together in the front yard. Their eldest son, let's call him "Mark", was standing maybe 50 feet off to one side, watching and smiling, dressed in swim trunks and a t-shirt. As we slowed down and honked, he waved and grinned at us.

An hour after we got home we had a phone call telling us that "Mark" had drowned in a mountain lake at noon.”

Spooky as hell.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
Nope.
Posted By: Teal Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
Any Roman Catholic believers that there is no communication between the living and the dead (Excluding Jesus and the Apostles that is)???

If so, do any of them believe in the Virgin of Guadalupe, Our Lady of Fatima, or the Virgin of Lourdes?

St. Maria Faustyna Kowalska, most commonly known as St. Faustina, was a Polish nun who claimed to have had a series of visions that included Jesus, the Eucharist, angels and various saints. It is from her visions, recorded in her diary, that the Church received the now popular devotion the Divine Mercy Chaplet. In one entry, she tells of a vision of purgatory:

“I saw my guardian angel, who ordered me to follow him. In a moment I was in a misty place full of fire in which there was a great crowd of suffering souls. They were praying fervently, but to no avail, for themselves; only we can come to their aid. The flames, which were burning them, did not touch me at all. My guardian angel did not leave me for an instant. I asked these souls what their greatest suffering was. They answered me in one voice that their greatest torment was longing for God.

“I saw Our Lady visiting the souls in purgatory. The souls call her ‘The Star of the Sea.’ She brings them refreshment. I wanted to talk with them some more, but my guardian angel beckoned me to leave. We went out of that prison of suffering. [I heard an interior voice, which said] ‘My mercy does not want this, but justice demands it. Since that time I am in closer communion with the suffering souls.’” (Diary of St. Faustina 20)

Assuming the story of the Virgin Mary is correct, she would be considered a dead person (human spirit) communicating with presently living humans?

I'm not that familiar with any of the Protestant versions of Christianity, do any of them believe in Saints, visions, and such (Episcopal/Anglicans perhaps?)

As a Catholic - I don't see those people as "dead" - Blessed Mother, Saints, etc.

"He who believes in the Son has eternal life; he who does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God rests upon him." (John 3: 36)

"And behold, a lawyer stood up to put him to the test, saying, 'Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?' He said to him, 'What is written in the law? How do you read?' And he answered, 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.' And he said to him, 'You have answered right; do this, and you will live.' " (Luke 10: 25-28)

"So Jesus said to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. ' " (John 6: 53-57)

Eternal LIFE is pretty specific/clear.
"So Jesus said to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. ' " (John 6: 53-57)

That's some fugked up schit right there, I don't care how you slice it.
Posted By: Teal Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

It's the biblical basis/foundation for the Holy Eucharist and transubstantiation.
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Please read the entire chapter 6 of the book of John.
It will give you the context, and you can see what Jesus is actually referring to.
This was a discussion being held at the time of Passover, after Jesus performed the miracle of feeding the five thousand.
Posted By: shaman Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
The farm had not been lived in for close onto 20 years when we acquired it. The old guy, Arnold, had lived there for a number of years alone after his wife died.

Shortly after we moved in, odd things started happening. For one thing, the back door kept coming unlocked. For another, a light in the upstairs attic started coming on all by itself.

Then the apparitions started. Over the next few years, KYHillchick, I and the kids all saw or heard someone in his underwear going from the smaller of the two downstairs bedrooms to the bathroom.

Once, 'Hilll woke up to footsteps, and thought it was one of us hitting the can at 0300, but no one ever came back. When he actually appeared, you'd catch him out of the corner of your eye and try to look at him directly, and he'd be gone.

I solved the door problem by putting a big barrel bolt on the door and adding a padlock on the outside. He still occasionally works the deadbolt, but he hasn't found the padlock.

The upstairs light is still a problem. I'll come in for the weekend, turn on the main breaker and find the upstairs light is on. I'll turn it off, go downstairs and then find it on again before I leave on Sunday.

Once, this was about 5 years in, I was out back talking to 'Hillchick on the cellphone. Suddenly, I heard voices coming from inside the cabin. It sounded like two men walking in through the back door and going into the dining room while having a conversation. I told 'HillChick that the neighbors were visiting, and had to go. I went in the house, and there was no one there.

Outside of the last incident, none of this has been particularly creepy. Even seeing a little guy in his underwear didn't seem all that odd. We just learned to live with it, and it pretty much fizzled after the first decade. I still have a problem with the upstairs light, but even that is getting to be a rare thing.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
You better be afraid of the ghosts.

👅
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22

RC,

A person sees something, call it a ghost or spirit. The spirit/ghost doesn’t say or do anything. The person who saw it only has a story to tell that they saw something.

It would be different if the ghost/spirit said, go kill your cat and drinks it’s blood. Then sure, maybe it’s a demon. But just a sighting of a something that didn’t speak - To me that’s reaching to say it’s 100% satanic.

Change my mind.

🦫
Jesus said that there is no contact between the living and the dead. If Satan can convince you that there there is, then he's convinced you that Jesus was wrong, that he's imperfect, and he is not God.
The case of Samuel appearing to Saul was a special case. As Jesus said, with God all things are possible. God has the power to make the impossible possible. He impossibly brought Jesus back from the dead, did he not? God also impossibly made dead believers appear when Jesus died on the cross. They were seen walking around Jerusalem. We aren't given any information what that was all about other than it happened. It was another special case of God exercising his infinite power to do the impossible.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22

RC,

Change my mind.

🦫
Jesus said that there is no contact between the living and the dead. If Satan can convince you that there there is, then he's convinced you that Jesus was wrong, that he's imperfect, and he is not God.
The case of Samuel appearing to Saul was a special case. As Jesus said, with God all things are possible. God has the power to make the impossible possible. He impossibly brought Jesus back from the dead, did he not? God also impossibly made dead believers appear when Jesus died on the cross. They were seen walking around Jerusalem. We aren't given any information what that was all about other than it happened. It was another special case of God exercising his infinite power to do the impossible.

Then couldn’t God be exercising his infinite power, doing the impossible for someone who sees something, or hears a voice from somebody they once knew…Like a child, a parent, grandma, spouse, etc…?

🦫
Posted By: Huntz Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22

RC,

Change my mind.

🦫

Then couldn’t God be exercising his infinite power, doing the impossible for someone who sees something, or hears a voice from somebody they once knew…Like a child, a parent, grandma, spouse, etc…?

🦫
Where is Happy Crapper to splain all this chit when you need him?
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
Jesus said that there is no contact between the living and the dead.
What was that passage(s)?
TIA
Originally Posted by Teal

As a Catholic - I don't see those people as "dead" - Blessed Mother, Saints, etc.

"He who believes in the Son has eternal life; he who does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God rests upon him." (John 3: 36)

"And behold, a lawyer stood up to put him to the test, saying, 'Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?' He said to him, 'What is written in the law? How do you read?' And he answered, 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.' And he said to him, 'You have answered right; do this, and you will live.' " (Luke 10: 25-28)

Eternal LIFE is pretty specific/clear.

OK, Eternal Life, sure thing. In the Spirit World (Heaven in Christian terms), but they are dead as far as this world is concerned, no?

If it's true for the Saints (mortal men) and the Blessed Virgin ( a blessed, but mortal, woman) and they have been granted Eternal Life, could that not also be true for other mortals that followed the guidance in your quotes (Luke and John), and if so, and folks were visited by them, would those folks not be seeing the spirits of dead (in the common vernacular) people?

RC,

Change my mind.

🦫

🦫

I'm no Theologist, but in my view, God can, and does, just about anything God wants.

So, to answer your question.....................................YES
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
Before I got married (and then divorced) I was staying at the ex's grandfather's house, since he had passed a few years prior. We were in the living room watching the old Curtis Mathis television. I was sitting in her grandfather's Lazy Boy recliner. Then it was time to go up to the bedroom and get busy. In order to get out of the Lazy Boy it must be returned to the upright position, which I did. I then turned the TV off and went upstairs. Sometime later - in the middle of the night - I heard something, so I went downstairs to investigate and to get a glass of ice water.

I went into the living room and the Lazy Boy was reclined and the television was on! No one else was in the house. I again turned the TV off and I put the chair back into the upright position. Perhaps granddad didn't like me boning his granddaughter in his bed.

The next day, nothing happened & I didn't get kilt.
Posted By: las Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
Maybe it's Shaman, glowing in the dark after shaving his hair? smile
Originally Posted by las
Maybe it's Shaman, glowing in the dark after shaving his hair? smile
Maybe he needs to ask The Donald who his spray on tan person is?
Originally Posted by Tyrone
TIA
Read the parable of Lazarus and the rich man, Luke 16:19-31.

Then there's Hebrews 9:27 Man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment.

Here's a good article I read: GHOSTS

RC,

Change my mind.

🦫

🦫
Yes, God could do that. However, in keeping with God's character, he only exceeds his own power for special purposes. In the case of Samuel appearing to Saul, this was the king of Israel, God's own chosen ruler, sinning to the point where God was going to kick him off the throne. He needed something powerful to convince him.
In the case of the dead believers arising at Jesus' death, we aren't told what God was doing. He had his own reasons and didn't have a need to tell us what it was.
After nearly 30 years in EMS I've witnessed things that I can't explain. guy with a broken neck walking out of a pool. told me 2 white guys in white flowing robes pulled him out. by standers said he walked out and fell over. He didn't walk anywhere with the c3 fracture he had and there was no white people in this neighborhood I assure you. Birds pecking on the window of a guy who just passed. I've felt the presence of peoples spirits in houses I've never been in before. I believe there's plenty of things in this universe we are too ignorant to comprehend. Just like animals seem to have a 6th sense, I believe we lack certain perceptions. Because we lack these we are ignorant of their possibilities of existing. I think we use religion to try and explain some of these. possibilities of ghost being around us and trying to reveal something maybe real. Must be pretty frustrating for them not to be able to convey the message. maybe that's their hell. IMHO
RC,

Thanks for the information.

🦫

RC,

Change my mind.

🦫

🦫

I'm no Theologist, but in my view, God can, and does, just about anything God wants.

So, to answer your question.....................................YES

That was my thinking. Especially when a spirit seems to be comforting or benevolent towards the person witnessing it.

🦫
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
A couple of theories are that ghosts are demons or that ghosts are those in purgatory.
Posted By: shaman Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
Now the really weird stuff happens at the house just up the road from the farm. I don't know about the current inhabitants. However, the guy who sold us our place was raised in this house, and his parents remain. . . active.

For a while after we moved in there was a woman renting it out that complained that she was getting groped and pinched by a spirit. She finally had enough and moved out.

The mother's spirit was also fairly active. The previous owner used to have to come over and call up to the attic. "Don't worry, Momma! You're hats are just fine." It seems Mom was very proud of an extensive hat collection that she kept in boxes in the attic. After she died the hats were removed. However, something was frequently heard in the attic rummaging through non-existent hat boxes.

I was never personally witness to any of this, but these are not the sort of stories you go making up. As with our apparitions, most of this has died down over the intervening 20 years. However, it was quite something when we first got there.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22

I quite agree. As for the bolded piece, this is why He announced himself to Moses as "I AM".

Eternal beings that are not tethered to the unilateral time-stream of the universe, unlike we humans in this corporeal life, have a hard time grasping this. Other eternal beings who have never been tied to the physical universe as we are can presumably experience eternity as a single moment; so it's certainly possible that a human spirit that has been released by death may appear to be "stuck" to a place like a haunted house or a battlefield. Whether it's a different "dimension" or simply a different viewpoint of one cohesive universe is, to my mind, not a big distinction.
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
DocRocket,

It's strange how a battle that was so small (compared to others like the Somme, Stalingrad, Gettysburg, etc) as Little Bighorn should have such a strong spiritual presence. I suspect there is something else at play here, beyond the Little Bighorn site.

C.S. Lewis wrote of this, pointing out the fact that there are places in Britain and continental Europe that seem to have strong spiritual presence, which he called "nodes", if I recall correctly. Places like this seem to be a focus for repeated paranormal activity, and may attract temporal activity such as battles, accidents, and so forth. I know of a couple of these places in western Canada, which were highly significant to the plains Indians, "holy" places to them, where I myself and others have experienced paranormal phenomena. These were associated with battles and other socially significant events in the past, at least according to oral histories.
TIA

....crickets...

He can't cite one because there is nothing in the Gospels to support this assertion.
Originally Posted by shaman
Now the really weird stuff happens at the house just up the road from the farm. I don't know about the current inhabitants. However, the guy who sold us our place was raised in this house, and his parents remain. . . active.

For a while after we moved in there was a woman renting it out that complained that she was getting groped and pinched by a spirit. She finally had enough and moved out.

The mother's spirit was also fairly active. The previous owner used to have to come over and call up to the attic. "Don't worry, Momma! You're hats are just fine." It seems Mom was very proud of an extensive hat collection that she kept in boxes in the attic. After she died the hats were removed. However, something was frequently heard in the attic rummaging through non-existent hat boxes.

I was never personally witness to any of this, but these are not the sort of stories you go making up. As with our apparitions, most of this has died down over the intervening 20 years. However, it was quite something when we first got there.

My house in Wisconsin was apparently "haunted". I never personally saw or otherwise interacted with our ghost, but one of my daughters, my late/ex-wife, and one of my daughters' friends all did interact with her.

The ghost was that of a young woman who had worked for previous owners of the house in the 1920's who had died in the house. Both my daughter and my late/ex-wife said her name was Elizabeth, or Lizzie, and years later we were able to confirm that this was indeed the name of a maid who had lived and died there. We ALL heard footsteps in the attic that sounded like a woman wearing leather shoes walking, on numerous occasions. My daughter selected the attic for her bedroom when we lived there, and she said she saw the ghost numerous times but that was all she was aware of. Her young friend encountered the ghost in our basement on one occasion, and he was absolutely terrified by the apparition, which he said was hideous and threatening. My then wife, who was something of a psychic, said she had conversations with the ghost girl in her "dreams", on several occasions, and she proclaimed the ghost harmless.

Myself, I never saw or heard her (other than the footsteps). But we often had personal objects moved from one floor of the house to another, and lights would be found on when they had been definitely turned off. Interestingly enough, when I had an electrician replace the old knob-and-tube wiring in our kitchen and part of our main floor, the problem of lights switching themselves off and on ended. Apparently Lizzie couldn't figure out the new switches.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
James,

Years ago I had an appointment to meet some farm and ranch folks pretty far out in the country. Rural Texas. Old ranch/farm type house.

I drove up at the appropriate time, and knocked on the door. No answer. Went back to the pickup to wait, and saw a woman standing beside a clothes line in back of the house. Middle aged looking woman. Her hair was up, not hanging free.

When I walked around the house to talk to her she wasn't there. I continued to walk completely around the house, but didn't see her.

Before I could get back to my pickup, another car drove up, and it was the people I was supposed to meet.

I apologized and told them I wasn't prowling around their house, but had seen the woman out back and went to talk to her.

The husband and wife looked at each other, then back to me and simply stated "So, you saw her too."

I told them I did, plain as day. They just said she was a ghost that lived around their place. That she means no harm. I told them I didn't feel scared or threatened, and they said "Good", and we went about our meeting.

Not the best ghost story there is, but pretty good confirmation that my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. smile
Posted By: las Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
Healy Creek valley, especially the upper end, has a "feel" to it for me, anyway. It feels to me like something powerful resides there, brooding maybe, not hostile, just uncaring.
Posted By: 250Sav_age Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
No wonder Biden won.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
No wonder Biden won.

I believe there are ghosts much more than I believe "he won".
Posted By: 250Sav_age Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
No wonder Biden won.

I believe there are ghosts much more than I believe "he won".

Point made, thanks.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
I don't know about ghosts - But I'm one of those things that go bump in the night.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/17/22
I knew a guy who witnessed a car accident, he knows CPR and was trying to revive the young man who in the first car. As he was doing his best, two policeman arrived and took over for him.
He said when he looked up at the two LEOs as they were running up to him, he swore that the man he was trying to help was running with them. Said he glanced down and then back up, and there were only the two LEOs and nobody else. The young man passed in less than a minute after that.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/18/22
Originally Posted by DocRocket
TIA
....crickets...

He can't cite one because there is nothing in the Gospels to support this assertion.
He did cite a passage, but it was the one about Lazarus the beggar and the separation between Heaven and Hell, not Earth and Purgatory or Sheol.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 05/18/22

I quite agree. As for the bolded piece, this is why He announced himself to Moses as "I AM".

Eternal beings that are not tethered to the unilateral time-stream of the universe, unlike we humans in this corporeal life, have a hard time grasping this. Other eternal beings who have never been tied to the physical universe as we are can presumably experience eternity as a single moment; so it's certainly possible that a human spirit that has been released by death may appear to be "stuck" to a place like a haunted house or a battlefield. Whether it's a different "dimension" or simply a different viewpoint of one cohesive universe is, to my mind, not a big distinction.
I think this depiction of the Universe is fairly accurate. God occupies all the space in the image, especially the space outside of the Universe. Hence, He sees the entire thing at once.

[Linked Image from rightedition.com]
Posted By: b_winter Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 08/14/22
The Bible clearly states that there is no communication between the living and the dead. None.

Well, it's not quite as clear as all that...

If you check out I Samuel 28, when Saul conned the witch of Endor to conjure up the spirit of Samuel, the scripture clearly states that it was the spirit of Samuel himself, i.e., a "ghost". So it's pretty hard to unequivocally state that the Bible says there is no communication between the living and dead. It may not be a common thing, and by scripture it is certainly a forbidden thing to do, but the example of Saul and Samuel seems to indicate it is indeed possible.

Now, I've heard all kinds of convoluted logic by preachers saying that it wasn't Samuel, it was a demon, or "a gods coming out of the earth" in the witch's words, but the scripture passage states pretty clearly that, yep, it was Samuel's ghost and nobody else. So I'm inclined to take the scripture at its face value.

But I also believe that the spiritual world, as part of the time-space continuum, is far more complex than most religious people give credit to. C.S. Lewis touched on this in his writings on several occasions, in The Great Divorce, in Mere Christianity, in his science fiction trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandria, and That Hideous Strength), and of course in his Narnia series. Aquinas touches on it briefly in parts of his Summa Theologica, but I'm danged if I can give you a citation for that, it's 40 years since I cracked Summa.

Speaking of communication with the dead - maybe this is a necropost? Anyway - I figured I'd throw in . . . maybe someone else's two cents . . . because I find this subject interesting. I've read a bit from Mike Heiser's work over the years - he's a biblical scholar with expertise in a bunch of ancient languages and Ancient Near East religion, and some related subjects. For what it's worth, at least as a layman, I find his arguments compelling and more to the point, relevant to this part of this thread.

This is a link to an excerpt from one of his books, but I think a summary of his relevant argument might go something like this:

The writers of the Old Testament - in line with general Ancient Near East religious thought - conceived of different planes of existence in a kind of cosmic geography - one of which was inhabited by entities referenced by the term "elohim". The term primarily referred not to the attributes of an entity, but to it's proper plane of existence - in this case, the spirit world. Angels, demons, spirits (of the dead), the gods, and Yahweh were all understood as properly being in that plane of existence, so that they were all types of "elohim." (This is outside the scope of this summary, but for what it's worth, "Yahweh" would have been sort of 'species unique' among the more generic "elohim" classification.) That these entities were all properly inhabitants of the spirit world doesn't preclude them from interaction with the physical world - so for example the Old Testament talks about angels interacting with humans (Joshua 5:13-15,) an evil spirit harassing King Saul (1 Samuel 16:14), and more relevant to this discussion, the spirit of Samuel. The problem with interacting with the spirits of the dead was that it was a kind of violation of your proper plane of existence (or maybe a violation of the rules governing that sort of interaction?).

My thoughts on the matter might be as follows:

Rock Chuck - from what I can see, several passages in the Old Testament seem to back up this view of spirits of the dead - that one could find a way to communicate with them, but within the context of Israelite religion, one definitely should not do so (see Leviticus 20:5-7, Leviticus 20:27, Deuteronomy 18:10-14, Isaiah 8:19-20, 1 Samuel 28).

DocRocket - in light of your quote about preachers talking about the passage in Samuel (gods coming out of the earth, etc), you might find the article I linked to be an interesting read. In summary, the spirit of Samuel was recognized by the medium (or, apparently, in a more accurate translation, the 'mistress of the ghost' or something along those lines) as an "elohim" type entity (a 'god' coming out of the earth); this being is then recognized by Saul as Samuel.
Posted By: poboy Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 08/14/22
I'm getting this creepy feeling that I have seen this
exact thread before.
Posted By: skeen Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 08/14/22
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Do You Belive In Ghosts

No.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 08/14/22
I don't care.........................
Posted By: tzone Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 08/14/22
Yes
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 08/14/22
Ab so fugging lutely.
Originally Posted by Huntz
Where is Happy Crapper to splain all this chit when you need him?

Or rather now the ghost of Happy Crapper.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 08/14/22
Not in the slightest.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 08/14/22
Originally Posted by poboy
exact thread before.

laugh

Brought back from the dead!
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 08/14/22
I believe in everything I see.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 08/14/22
Originally Posted by Mike70560
A few years back ole Boudreaux went to pickup little Boudreaux at that big school in Baton Rouge. Lil Boo was not ready so ole Boo was wondering around campus and ended up in the auditorium. A man started speaking and Boudreaux being a county boy found this interesting.

The speaker first asked who believes in ghost? Nearly everybody raised their hands, including Boudreaux.
He then asked has anybody seen a ghost? Still plenty of hands were in the air and Boudreaux was still waiving his arm.
The next question was have you talked to a ghost? Boudreaux and just a few others raised there hands.

The speaker said the next question is a little personal but who in here has had sex with a ghost? Only ole Boudreaux raised his hand. The speaker invited him on stage, got real close, and asked what was it like to have sex with a ghost.

Boudreaux looked at him and replied, I am so embarrassed. I thought you were saying goats.

Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 08/15/22
Nope
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 08/15/22
Originally Posted by poboy
exact thread before.
That's just a glitch in the Matrix.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Do You Belive In Ghosts - 08/15/22
© 24hourcampfire