Home
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Narcan - 06/16/22
Got my Narcan endorsement last night.

Now I can bring back you Boomers who accidentally stacked 28 pain patches on top of each other.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
Icy hot patches?

You gonna be Shaq’s best buddy….
Posted By: Teal Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
"ACCIDENTALLY"
Posted By: Raeford Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Now I can bring back you Boomers who accidentally stacked 28 pain patches on top of each other.

Who you callin a Boomer, bish?
Originally Posted by Raeford

Who you callin a Boomer, bish?

Yeah Jim, say it again. Boomers didn't have the hearing aids on.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Narcan - 06/16/22

Jim, what kind of overdoses does this work on?
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
what kind of overdoses does this work on?

Nothing works on 24 HC bhulscheidt OD's!
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Narcan - 06/16/22

Nice Jim...

Thanks for you med service...
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Jim, what kind of overdoses does this work on?

Uh.....the good kind.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
Son is a paramedic and gets to see the effects of Narcan frequently. Told me it will blow your mid at the speed at which it reverses OD’s. Like a magic wand.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
What do you need an endorsement for?

The pharmacies around Omaha will give NARCAN to anyone over 19 who asks for it.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

We can't administer that dose here as per our medical director....so we need signed off on a different dose and administration device.

If I were a lay person....they would give me the big dose for free.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
You should just let those damn junkies die.
Originally Posted by smokepole

No kidding eh?

Yeah....that's not gonna happen!

On an interesting side note....it looks like fentanyl is nowhere near as dangerous as we thought.

At least to cops and ems types.

Not saying that you should eat a bunch of white powder at the scene of an OD....
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Narcan - 06/16/22

We can't administer that dose here as per our medical director....so we need signed off on a different dose and administration device.

Works the same way with automatic defibrillator. A non emt firefighter or police officer on duty can’t use one here. Stupid.
Posted By: AKduck Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
We hand kits out to folks we release, no need for training.
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Son is a paramedic and gets to see the effects of Narcan frequently. Told me it will blow your mid at the speed at which it reverses OD’s. Like a magic wand.
I'm the IT guy for a Fire and Medic Department. They've told me stories where a junkie coded flatline, legally dead, the did the Narcan and CPR to get it moving through the system and brought the guy back to life. Then the guy got pissed and tried to kick their azz for taking away his high.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
I deer hunted with an EMT and he said that they give Narcan to the same people multiple times. The junkies get together and shoot up, but keep one person coherent enough to call 911 when people overdose.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
Then the guy got pissed and tried to kick their azz for taking away his high.

Yes. People get pissed at you for ruining their high....

The gratitude really amazes me.
Posted By: akrange Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
107000 died last year because of Mr. Pudd’n ..
I’m tell ya these People aren’t of this World..
The ones that Support Them aren’t Either..
We get Um in the Womb or We get Um on the Streets.

Roll Them or They Roll You
Originally Posted by Windfall
I deer hunted with an EMT and he said that they give Narcan to the same people multiple times. The junkies get together and shoot up, but keep one person coherent enough to call 911 when people overdose.

There is actually a national hotline for users.

It's called Never Use Alone.

You call them up they say okay....you shoot and they wait on the line for a couple minutes to see if you OD'd.

If you can answer after a few minutes...you are probably going to be OK.

Kinda rubs me a little raw considering that if you are a first responder and have thoughts of suicide...you wait 6 months to get an appointment.

Oh well.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
On an interesting side note....it looks like fentanyl is nowhere near as dangerous as we thought.

Not saying that you should eat a bunch of white powder at the scene of an OD....

Maybe it has already been cut from its pure form. If it were as deadly as some cases suggest, high school kids would be dropping like flies.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
but but but but

Dr Mercola says…..apple cider vinegar with “the mother” works faster than Narcan and also it’s healthy for your inner gut bacterial flora

mmm

I always worship Dr Mercola and Alex Jones
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Narcan - 06/16/22

Late wife did just that one afternoon. I called daughter up to house. I think we pulled like six or seven ( or more) off of her. She had just put them on. She thought they were like salonpas patches. Damn hospice folks left them in with bandage stuff when they determined wife wasn’t gonna die and they took her out of hospice care. I didn’t know they were in there! She found em. Just started slapping em on. I didn’t know what was going on with her. She was going crazy. Geez!!!
Posted By: deflave Re: Narcan - 06/16/22

No kidding eh?

Yeah....that's not gonna happen!

Yeah that was a nice little fable that got tossed around a good while.
Me and my buddies, Happy Camper, Ringman, Doane61 all get in our Snuggies and listen to Dr Mercola podcasts with a warm cup of SmoothMoove laxative green tea.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
SIL is a LEO and when they get a call for a junkie who's overdosed in the past he doesn't administer Narcan, he let's them wait for the paramedics.
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Then the guy got pissed and tried to kick their azz for taking away his high.

Yes. People get pissed at you for ruining their high....

The gratitude really amazes me.

Our medical director wants us to use the smaller dose nasal applicator for that very reason.

She wants us to give a little bit....just to get them breathing on their own again....but keep them sedated.

She figures we can meter it out slowly so the patient won't become combative.

The combative patient does happen...but it's pretty rare apparently.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
SIL is a LEO and when they get a call for a junkie who's overdosed in the past he doesn't administer Narcan, he let's them wait for the paramedics.

He has it but doesn't administer it?

That's pretty shìtty.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
LE doesn't respond to overdoses here anymore (unless there's a death). Considered a medical issue.
I think even the garbage man carries narcan in Cheatham County Tn

Awwwe look….sombody throwed away a perfectly good white boy
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Narcan - 06/16/22

Narcan? Give 'em a gram or two of fentanyl and a "happy travels" card.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Late wife did just that one afternoon. I called daughter up to house. I think we pulled like six or seven ( or more) off of her. She had just put them on. She thought they were like salonpas patches. Damn hospice folks left them in with bandage stuff when they determined wife wasn’t gonna die and they took her out of hospice care. I didn’t know they were in there! She found em. Just started slapping em on. I didn’t know what was going on with her. She was going crazy. Geez!!!

Everyone forgets that it ain't just junkies that od.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Narcan - 06/16/22

Tell me more about these "pain patches".....
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
LE doesn't respond to overdoses here anymore (unless there's a death). Considered a medical issue.

Good policy. This is a problem that will clear itself up, if Narcan use went way down
Originally Posted by ingwe

Theys the good ones. Transdermal Fentanyl!
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
Damn, another IPO investment opportunity missed. Who's got the inside line on the next pharma best-seller?
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
I'm repeating what we were taught....

Even the nasal spray can cause the person to become combative. We were taught to spray'em and either grab a hold or get out of the way, cause they most likely will come up swinging.

Nitrile gloves that we normally use when dealing with patients WILL NOT STOP fentanyl for very long. It will go thru the glove. Just skin contact with very much and you're in trouble.

LE doesn't respond to overdoses here, unless it is a death.

If you dont mind wiping a few butts and bathing old people and retards at the nursing home.

It’s all you can want.

Like peel and eat shrimp at Captain D’s

Pro tip…Stick em in your armpit. Makes the workday go a lot smoother.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
One thing to remember about Narcan is that it can wear off faster than a long-acting or extended-release narcotic, and the abuser will renarcotize and go back into respiratory failure again. For one example, an extended release morphine, or even just a big dose of IV morphine can do that.

Repeated doses may become necessary more often than not from street to ER I would imagine.
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
LEO’s do respond here. They get our Narcan when it goes out of date.
We average 3 OD’s a weekend in our little town of 16 thousand or so. Lots of repeats.
County wide, to include the city, we average one OD fatality a week.
When I started in 95 we went on maybe 1 or 2 OD’s a year. Crazy!
We have an organization in our county called Hoosier Uplands that specializes in providing assistance and housing to all who are on drugs or don’t work. The churches offer free food and showers; brings them in from all over.
A couple of weeks ago we had one from Michigan.
Kind’ve like leaving the cat food bowl on the back porch.
Tonight you have one coon, tomorrow night you have ten, lol.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
One thing to remember about Narcan is that it can wear off faster than a long-acting or extended-release narcotic, and the abuser will renarcotize and go back into respiratory failure again. For one example, an extended release morphine, or even just a big dose of IV morphine can do that.

Repeated doses may become necessary more often than not from street to ER I would imagine.

They taught us that Narcan will last somewhere around 30 min., then the victim will go back under the influence of the drugs.

Great point to keep in mind
Posted By: 79S Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
about 8 miles down the road from us in a neighborhood/subdivision that's notorious for heroin OD's. At the time the nearest responding ambulance was several miles away, so the Burrough built a fire station out there with a full-time Ems crew their just to respond to the heroin OD's. This place is considered part of big lake which is notorious for having a lot of junkies. The state troopers here carry several doses of NARCAN 99% of the time they are the first ones to respond to the scene.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Narcan - 06/16/22

Theys the good ones. Transdermal Fentanyl!

The military use to issue Fentanyl Lollipops, pretty cool.

mike r
I remember hearing about those Mike.

I think some hospital used them too.
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
I'm glad there is Narcan.

Some of the attitudes on here are sick, should para's not hit a fat guy with insulin because he won't lose weight or quit eating cheeto's or quit drinking beer even though diabetic?
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Some of the attitudes on here are sick, should para's not hit a fat guy with insulin because he won't lose weight or quit eating cheeto's or quit drinking beer even though diabetic?

Here the conversation has been - why WONT the cops administer insulin to someone who needs it but WILL Narcan?

I get what it's used for - Narcan but what does it actually DO exactly? How does it work?
Blocks the bodies ability to absorb/metabolize opiates
https://www.webmd.com/connect-to-care/addiction-treatment-recovery/how-does-narcan-work
Posted By: deflave Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
Originally Posted by Teal

Here the conversation has been - why WONT the cops administer insulin to someone who needs it but WILL Narcan?

I get what it's used for - Narcan but what does it actually DO exactly? How does it work?

The only cops administering Narcan are most likely carrying an EMT cert. Unless a particular department or agency is giving full stop to their cops administering Narcan, which would end in complete disaster.

But we're dealing with a population that thinks Chauvin murdered George Floyd and that you can vaccinate COVID.

So, more Brawndo.
Blocks the bodies ability to absorb/metabolize opiates

Interesting but what about the opiates already in the stream? I'm not a user - don't know but I'd think you'd already have absorbed quite a bit to need the narcan? Looking to learn - not snark.
Cliff Notes edition: There are different kinds of opioid receptors (sometimes noted as mu, delta, kappa) in the body and spinal cord. When narcotics attach to them they alter the brain, brain stem, limbic system, and spinal cord function causing from pain relief, euphoria, sedation and some respiratory depression to unconsciousness and respiratory failure.

Narcan is an opioid antagonist and competes for these same receptors, knocking them off after circulating in the blood stream, and reversing the opioid effects. It acts almost instantaneously in one brain-body circulation time.

Correction: beta, not delta.
Thanks. Interesting
It should be noted that like guns, narcotics are not the problem. The problem is always people, people who abuse both. We’d be in a world of hurt without narc’s, both literally and figuratively. But just because narc’s are abused, a second, great wrong would be legalizing them. Totally wrong.

Fentanyl is truly a great drug, used in medical environments, and often used as the basis for many anesthesia techniques. In fact, it has spawned a couple of others — sufentanyl and alfentanyl — longer- acting and ultra-short acting derivatives.

But fentanyls potency in anesthesia also make it ultra dangerous when abused in street form when the strength/potency and amount in some pill or tablet are completely unknown. I have seen a nurse administer 1cc of medical grade fentanyl (50 mcg), a relatively small amount, in the recovery room, and put a patient in respiratory arrest necessitating resuscitation and Narcan.
Posted By: Steve Re: Narcan - 06/16/22

Originally Posted by Steve

Wow

It’s it wonder the second deputy didnt get passive buzz just being that close.
Posted By: persiandog Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
i don't get it , i have had about 6 surgeries and Fentanyl at much higher doze was used. he barely got a sniff of the good stuff.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Steve

Wow

It’s it wonder the second deputy didnt get passive buzz just being that close.

What did the fugging guy do? Miami Vice it?
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
I have read accounts of junkies who were resuscitated 3 times in one day. Got hopped up at 9am and passed out, rescued by EMS, transported. Walked out of the hospital AMA and at 1 pm zonked out again, this time rescued by cops. At 7 pm, he "died" again but was saved by EMS with the Narcan.

Do you know that it is dangerous to send cops racing across town lights and sirens? Do you know that, sometimes innocent civilians get killed in wrecks with emergency vehicles?

These junkies are deliberately taking this dope because they just don't care. Or maybe they really want to die. Time to quit equipping cops with Narcan.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I have read accounts of junkies who were resuscitated 3 times in one day. Got hopped up at 9am and passed out, rescued by EMS, transported. Walked out of the hospital AMA and at 1 pm zonked out again, this time rescued by cops. At 7 pm, he "died" again but was saved by EMS with the Narcan.

Do you know that it is dangerous to send cops racing across town lights and sirens? Do you know that, sometimes innocent civilians get killed in wrecks with emergency vehicles?

These junkies are deliberately taking this dope because they just don't care. Or maybe they really want to die. Time to quit equipping cops with Narcan.

Uh, nope.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Narcan - 06/16/22
What did the fugging guy do? Miami Vice it?

Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Narcan - 06/16/22

Uh, nope.

Agreed.

I’m with Jim on this.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Uh, nope.

Agreed.

I’m with Jim on this.

Cops, EMS, Plugs, Soldiers et. al. are all volunteers, and most of whom get paid for doing what they actually enjoy. Those outside of the clans have no idea of the prevailing mindset. Being involved in bizarre and phugged up situations on a regular basis is kind of fun.

mike r
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
My partner and I either Narcaned or intubated the SAME POS 4 times in a single 24 hour shift.... Narcan the first 3, just tubed her and ventilated on the way to the ER the last time. They gave her Narcan when we got there, she janked her tube and IV and walled out within an hour. I got an ear chewing from the medical director for not "just giving her Narcan and letting her leave".
Posted By: ElAhrairah Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
If youre saving od'ing junkies lives, youre part of the problem. Stop it. Let the worthless losers die. Theyre just gonna steal your catalytic converter if you save them.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
Originally Posted by ElAhrairah
If youre saving od'ing junkies lives, youre part of the problem. Stop it. Let the worthless losers die. Theyre just gonna steal your catalytic converter if you save them.

True, same w/ jews, dems, cops, MDs ad nausem. Welcome to the CF, more deep thinkers are needed.

mike r
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Narcan - 06/17/22

Uh, nope.

Agreed.

I’m with Jim on this.

Rock solid.

As long as they live, there is hope.

Doing nothing when you hold the life saving item in your hand
let's you watch a druggie die.

The guy who walks away committed murder.

Tell me again how you are so much better than that addict?
He makes his stupid decisions through drugs or being dope sick.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Uh, nope.

Agreed.

I’m with Jim on this.

Rock solid.

The guy who walked away didnt commit murder. The moron that stuck a needle in his arm committed suicide. If you dont care about your own life, dont expect me to care about it on your behalf. Cry me a river with your bleeding heart.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
The law doesn't see it that way.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
Opioids
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
Give the junkies all the dope they want- - - -pure and unadulterated, free of charge, and distributed by government sponsored outlets located where they hang out. Just require that they get DNR tattooed on their foreheads in letters 3 inches tall.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Uh, nope.

Agreed.

I’m with Jim on this.

Rock solid.

The guy who walked away didnt commit murder. The moron that stuck a needle in his arm committed suicide. If you dont care about your own life, dont expect me to care about it on your behalf. Cry me a river with your bleeding heart.

Tell yourself what you want. Justify how you want.

There is the simple truth that the narcan was all they needed,
And you denied it.

The 18 year old hot rodder put himself upside down in the ditch bleeding.

The hemorrhaging expectant mother is responsible too.
What if (gasp) she didn't want to get pregnant and had a one night stand?

Bleed out you Trash?
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
I offered to buy a new rescue vehicle for a fire department if they would discontinue the use of NARCAN, but they said that they couldn't, so they are making due with their existing truck. They said that it was inhumane not to save a life when they could and who am I to argue with that? Maybe the local addicts who they save with NARCAN can pass the hat to fund that new truck that they need.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
I offered to buy a new rescue vehicle for a fire department if they would discontinue the use of NARCAN, but they said that they couldn't, so they are making due with their existing truck. They said that it was inhumane not to save a life when they could and who am I to argue with that? Maybe the local addicts who they save with NARCAN can pass the hat to fund that new truck that they need.

Wow!

You are a model of everything I don’t want to be. You sure showed them.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Wow!

You are a model of everything I don’t want to be. You sure showed them.

You never will be me, so you're safe on that count.

The EMTs will continue to save people who overdose, so my choice not to buy them a new truck changed nothing except for the quality of their ride. I only donate to causes that I believe in and I don't believe in enabling addicts.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
Fentanyl is why I quit doing coke.

Tom Petty
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Fentanyl is why I quit doing coke.

Tom Petty

Best super bowl halftime show Eva…….

2006’ish
Posted By: Jerryv Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
How much does the Narcan cost and who pays for it?

Jerry
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
Word.
Originally Posted by Jerryv
How much does the Narcan cost and who pays for it?

Jerry

50 to 100 dollars a dose.

You pay for it.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
Originally Posted by Mike_S

Works the same way with automatic defibrillator. A non emt firefighter or police officer on duty can’t use one here. Stupid.
Years ago when cops here got theirs it was like a freakin' demolition derby. Every ems call of unconscious, difficulty breathing, chest pain, the cops drove like bats out of hell so they could try their new toy. We had some close calls with cops cars.
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
I'm the IT guy for a Fire and Medic Department. They've told me stories where a junkie coded flatline, legally dead, the did the Narcan and CPR to get it moving through the system and brought the guy back to life. Then the guy got pissed and tried to kick their azz for taking away his high.
Never had anyone want to kick our ass, seen them wake up confused and freak out a little though. I've had them refuse medical aid a bunch of time, their right to do so.

I had a friend and semi-coworker kill herself that way. Her cancer was terminal so she saved up a bunch of patches and then covered her arms and chest with patches.

Except for that pesky little thing called your oath. You don't get to makes value judgements on people you respond to. You do your job the best you can with all the tools you have and don't take it personal.
Originally Posted by smarquez

Except for that pesky little thing called your oath. You don't get to makes value judgements on people you respond to. You do your job the best you can with all the tools you have and don't take it personal.

What oath, protect and serve? Youre doing the exact opposite of protecting and serving the general population by keeping vermin alive despite their efforts to kill themselves.
You will be in trouble with the law if you abandon an OD.
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Narcan - 06/17/22

What oath, protect and serve? Youre doing the exact opposite of protecting and serving the general population by keeping vermin alive despite their efforts to kill themselves.

Hope like hell you don't meet one of your own who thinks you're OD'ing when you're actually having a chest grabber. That would suck.
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
Ma was given Fentanyl at 85 for her crumbling spine. She was in constant pain. Some rock star died...I think it was Petty of an OD. She immediately ripped off her patch when she saw it on the news.

Next day she tells dad they have bedbugs and she's scratched her legs bloody. Dad looks. No bedbugs. Day 2 she says they're all over her legs - call an exterminator. Bugman comes, looks at bed, does tests or whatever on the mattress and sheets. No bedbugs. Dad says spray anyway. $500 pissed away. Next day her withdrawals subsided enough to realize there never were any bedbugs. She needed to taper down her dosing instead of going cold turkey. Dad was pissed.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
My best friend is a cop in our home town and says the same thing. I told him to go to the doughnut shop when he finds someone that overdosed and give them an hour.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Narcan - 06/17/22

So you'd appoint yourself judge and jury for someone you didn't know.
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: Narcan - 06/17/22

Ah, the old “ the most good for the most people”. AKA Utilitarianism, the backbone of Communism….
Posted By: WMR Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

Hope like hell you don't meet one of your own who thinks you're OD'ing when you're actually having a chest grabber. That would suck.

Maybe, but if we're going to let folks die because their problems are self inflicted, then those that eat a bad diet, or smoke, or drink, or......... whatever, they've all got it coming. Kind of a slippery slope, isn't it.
In Omaha the Hy-Vee pharmacies will sell NALOXONE without a prescription to anyone over 18. Lots of people get a dose of it so that they can save a person who ODs on opioids at a party or a bar.

Altruistic or enabling?

You decide.
Posted By: greydog Re: Narcan - 06/17/22

Everyone forgets that it ain't just junkies that od.
No, sometimes it's just dumbazzes. GD
In Omaha the Hy-Vee pharmacies will sell NALOXONE without a prescription to anyone over 18. Lots of people get a dose of it so that they can save a person who ODs on opioids at a party or a bar.

Altruistic or enabling?

You decide.

Aren't you the sooper smart guy that couldn't vote for Trump?

They also hand out narcan to people who are on prescription opiates.

Protect and serve without judgement and reservation.
You are proof that not everyone can do the job or would do the job. You fit into the don't have enough human compassion category.

Altruistic or enabling?

You decide.

I would assume that people who are on prescription opioids would have doctors who would concurrently prescribe the antidote for use in case of an accidental overdose.

Hy-Vee is dispensing NALOXONE without a prescription so that it can get into the hands of laypersons who might be present when a person using recreational opioids overdoses. You or I could get it and you might choose to do so, but the most that I would do for someone who has overdosed and is not my wife or child is to call 911 and wait for the EMTs to arrive.
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

Maybe, but if we're going to let folks die because their problems are self inflicted, then those that eat a bad diet, or smoke, or drink, or......... whatever, they've all got it coming. Kind of a slippery slope, isn't it.

"Well, your house is on fire through no fault but your own . We're leaving, good luck".

Altruistic or enabling?

You decide.

I would assume that people who are on prescription opioids would have doctors who would concurrently prescribe the antidote for use in case of an accidental overdose.

Hy-Vee is dispensing NALOXONE without a prescription so that it can get into the hands of laypersons who might be present when a person using recreational opioids overdoses. You or I could get it and you might choose to do so, but the most that I would do for someone who has overdosed and is not my wife or child is to call 911 and wait for the EMTs to arrive.

So a Biden supporter and a bit of a selfish kghunt too?

Dang.

You could very well be held liable for neglence if that person where to die and you had either the knowledge or the resources to change the outcome.

You might should take another IQ test.
Posted By: tdbob Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
Narcan's not the most expensive drug in a paramedic's drug bag, but it's not free. Going on multiple responses on the same patients for the same thing is going to impact an agency's budget. These people are typically uninsured and don't have money to pay for a response. Something is going to have to give for some agencies. They'll either cease to be or stop carrying Narcan and just put these people in the recovery position and let them sleep it off. I'm sorry to those that might think that's cruel but that is the reality for some agencies.
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
So can one take Narcan if they're not having an overdose event?

Asking for a friend...
Posted By: tdbob Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
Yes, typically for most people it's a benign drug.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Narcan - 06/17/22

Altruistic or enabling?

You decide.

Dang.

You could very well be held liable for neglence if that person where to die and you had either the knowledge or the resources to change the outcome.

"might should"

Jim..............................what would Sister Mary Margaret have to say about that abomination of the English language?
Originally Posted by tdbob
Narcan's not the most expensive drug in a paramedic's drug bag, but it's not free. Going on multiple responses on the same patients for the same thing is going to impact an agency's budget. These people are typically uninsured and don't have money to pay for a response. Something is going to have to give for some agencies. They'll either cease to be or stop carrying Narcan and just put these people in the recovery position and let them sleep it off. I'm sorry to those that might think that's cruel but that is the reality for some agencies.

There is no "recovery position" for an OD without prior treatment.

To do so would be considered "abandonment" and gross negligence.

Narcan is in no way shape or form necessary to save the life of an opiate OD.

You ventilate with a BVM with high flow 02 on the way to the hospital.

If your agency does not have a bottle of o2 and a BVM...they are not much of an agency.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Altruistic or enabling?

You decide.

Dang.

"might should"

Jim..............................what would Sister Mary Margaret have to say about that abomination of the English language?

It was used for a certain effect. Kind of pointing out how stupid some "sooper smart" people are.

Insult to injury sort of thing.
Thanks for triggering a Nun flash back though!

A hole! Hahaha!
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
Double modal formation-sweet.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
Thanks for triggering a Nun flash back though!

A hole! Hahaha!
What?

You don't think fondly of your times around the Penguins?

My fondest memory of them is my first. Being lifted out of my desk in kindergarten or 1st grade by a pair of sharp fingernails in my left ear.

I think I could have used some fentanyl then.

Altruistic or enabling?

You decide.

Dang.

I didn't vote for either Biden or Trump, so that was a wash. Even if I had voted for Trump, the majority of the people who live in my Congressional District didn't, so Biden won the Electoral College Vote that my vote would have counted toward. You seem to be pissed at me, but what about the 6M people in California who voted for Trump and won him 0 out of 55 Electoral College Votes? At least he got 4 of Nebraska's 5.

I'm not a healthcare professional, so I claim no healthcare knowledge and I don't carry the resources, NALOXONE, to change anyone's outcome. Maybe the best thing to do is to not call 911 and just walk on past, allowing GOD's will be done on Earth and it is in Heaven. Surely someone who cares will take action, right?

No need to take another IQ test at my age. I'm more interested in reaping than sowing, just sowing enough so that my kids will have a strong financial foundation that will provide them with more latitude than I had when I was their ages. Their educations are all paid for, so they don't need to compete for an ROTC scholarship, and they will have a virtually guaranteed income for life as long as there is a continued demand for corn and soybeans. I make no apologies for my success or for the wealth accrued by my parents and my in-laws that my Wife and I have inherited.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
Originally Posted by tdbob

IMHO, Narcan is a waste of my our dollars. Without directly saying so, tdbob's response points that direction.
Weds I was witness to a single car accident involving some crack/meth head. Took 4 Natcans to bring him around.
As I was giving my statement to the state trooper I overheard him on the radio. Seems the perp was responsible for 3 other vehicle accidents in a 10 mile stretch, south of this accident scene, and had just left a court appearance in the adjoining county seat.
Told the trooper that in the long run we'd all be better of if the were to have been left to his own demise, or double-tapped. Trooper didn't say anything, but the look on his face suggested his full agreement.

Altruistic or enabling?

You decide.

Dang.

I didn't vote for either Biden or Trump, so that was a wash. Even if I had voted for Trump, the majority of the people who live in my Congressional District didn't, so Biden won the Electoral College Vote that my vote would have counted toward. You seem to be pissed at me, but what about the 6M people in California who voted for Trump and won him 0 out of 55 Electoral College Votes? At least he got 4 of Nebraska's 5.

I'm not a healthcare professional, so I claim no healthcare knowledge and I don't carry the resources, NALOXONE, to change anyone's outcome. Maybe the best thing to do is to not call 911 and just walk on past, allowing GOD's will be done on Earth and it is in Heaven. Surely someone who cares will take action, right?

No need to take another IQ test at my age. I'm more interested in reaping than sowing, just sowing enough so that my kids will have a strong financial foundation that will provide them with more latitude than I had when I was their ages. Their educations are all paid for, so they don't need to compete for an ROTC scholarship, and they will have a virtually guaranteed income for life as long as there is a continued demand for corn and soybeans. I make no apologies for my success or for the wealth accrued by my parents and my in-laws that my Wife and I have inherited.

I bring up the IQ test because you should get a refund.

That was some of the stupidest shìt I have ever read here.

You are just another self serving liberal..and a Christian Scientist apparently?
Posted By: kolofardos Re: Narcan - 06/17/22

Altruistic or enabling?

You decide.

Dang.

Just out of curiosity, by any chance, are you mentally r e t a r d e d?
Posted By: Raeford Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
Hey Jim,

Good on ya for doing what you do!

Happy Fathers day!
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Narcan - 06/17/22
I didn't vote for either Biden or Trump, so that was a wash. Even if I had voted for Trump, the majority of the people who live in my Congressional District didn't, so Biden won the Electoral College Vote that my vote would have counted toward . You seem to be pissed at me, but what about the 6M people in California who voted for Trump and won him 0 out of 55 Electoral College Votes? At least he got 4 of Nebraska's 5.

It wasn't a wash, apathy like that is why scum keep getting elected.

Second highlighted sentence goes along with the first. Content to live off the backs of others.

Pride is something you obviously lack. But you are not alone, there are millions like you.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Narcan - 06/18/22

Altruistic or enabling?

You decide.

Dang.

You are just another self serving liberal..and a Christian Scientist apparently?

You're welcome to your opinion. My usual response to unsupported criticism is that I've been called worse things by better people.

I doubt that anyone who knows me would ever think of me as being liberal. They would see me for what I am, a right of center Republican and church going Missouri Synod Lutheran who proudly served his country.

I didn't vote for Trump or Biden because I didn't, still don't, believe that either of them was worthy of my support. I didn't expect Biden to be as bad as he has been, but my 1 vote wouldn't have gone far to offset the 22,091 vote margin that Biden won by in Nebrasdka's 2nd.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Narcan - 06/18/22
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Narcan - 06/18/22

Altruistic or enabling?

You decide.

Dang.

You're welcome to your opinion. My usual response to unsupported criticism is that I've been called worse things by better people.

I doubt that anyone who knows me would ever think of me as being liberal. They would see me for what I am, a right of center Republican and church going Missouri Synod Lutheran who proudly served his country.

I didn't vote for Trump or Biden because I didn't, still don't, believe that either of them was worthy of my support. I didn't expect Biden to be as bad as he has been, but my 1 vote wouldn't have gone far to offset the 22,091 vote margin that Biden won by in Nebrasdka's 2nd.

Better men? I doubt it.

Glad we all suffer now so you could spout your phoney virtue.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Don't know why you quoted that...but 260 is a self serving khgunt.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Narcan - 06/18/22

Only complete azzholes place ultimatums on community support.

And an ultimatum that would receive such a predictable result shows your lack of intended support to start with. Doubtful you have much if any history at all of such community support.

I'm sure most in your community are well aware of exactly who and what you are, it seldom takes long for a total POS like yourself to expose themselves, exactly like you did with your local Fire Department, hat's off to them for telling you and your pretend funding to GFY.
Posted By: GregW Re: Narcan - 06/18/22

Altruistic or enabling?

You decide.

Dang.

I can't believe people post this kind of stuff. Nobody GAF and you just look really stupid. But you are not alone on this very forum. Lots of "well respected" members take every opportunity to remind the forum how wealthy and successful they are. It's freaking hilarious as nobody GAF...
Originally Posted by JeffA

And an ultimatum that would receive such a predictable result shows your lack of intended support to start with. Doubtful you have much if any history at all of such community support.

I'm sure most in your community are well aware of exactly who and what you are, it seldom takes long for a total POS like yourself to expose themselves, exactly like you did with your local Fire Department, hat's off to them for telling you and your pretend funding to GFY.

Plus 1.....
Unreal...
Posted By: Judman Re: Narcan - 06/18/22
Every inmate we release gets some narcan. Carry on
Posted By: Judman Re: Narcan - 06/18/22
Nurse just dropped this off a minute again for a guy gettin released tomorrow as a matter of fact.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Narcan - 06/18/22
I didn't vote for either Biden or Trump, so that was a wash. Even if I had voted for Trump, the majority of the people who live in my Congressional District didn't, so Biden won the Electoral College Vote that my vote would have counted toward . You seem to be pissed at me, but what about the 6M people in California who voted for Trump and won him 0 out of 55 Electoral College Votes? At least he got 4 of Nebraska's 5.

Second highlighted sentence goes along with the first. Content to live off the backs of others.

Pride is something you obviously lack. But you are not alone, there are millions like you.

I'm not apathetic, I voted for the Republican candidate for Senate, Ben Sasse, and House, Don Bacon.

I made around $18M, before i inherited any money. What was I supposed to do with the inheritance, give it away? If I'm living off the backs of others, those backs belong to the people rent our resort properties and our farms. If they didn't want to rent the condos or the farm ground they don't have to.

I'm proud to be an American, proud to have served 7 years in the U.S. Army, proud of my 3 successful infantry company commands, proud of my 4 college degrees, proud of my success in business, proud of my family, and glad to have been in a position to help more than a few people.

Everybody has a skill. My skill is being able to cut through the clutter and recognize the root causes of problems such that I don't waste time treating symptoms. The last company that I owned that wasn't vaction rentals or farms was struggling because the owner trusted people who were stealing from him. I got rid of the 6 thieves, did some cosmetic upgrades, implemented a profit sharing compenstion program for employees, and turned it around in less than 2 years. Bought in a $2.2M, put $600K into it, sold it for $5.9M after 22 months. My best investment was my first, had about $1M of borrowed money into it, sold it for around $9M after 18 months, paid the bills, and grew the remaining $8M into $18M over the next 12 years. Isn't growing a business and making money a key component of the American Dream?
Posted By: deflave Re: Narcan - 06/18/22

Altruistic or enabling?

You decide.

Dang.

LOL

What a worthless sack of schit.
Posted By: akasparky Re: Narcan - 06/18/22

I'm not apathetic, I voted for the Republican candidate for Senate, Ben Sasse, and House, Don Bacon.

I made around $18M, before i inherited any money. What was I supposed to do with the inheritance, give it away? If I'm living off the backs of others, those backs belong to the people rent our resort properties and our farms. If they didn't want to rent the condos or the farm ground they don't have to.

I'm proud to be an American, proud to have served 7 years in the U.S. Army, proud of my 3 successful infantry company commands, proud of my 4 college degrees, proud of my success in business, proud of my family, and glad to have been in a position to help more than a few people.

Everybody has a skill. My skill is being able to cut through the clutter and recognize the root causes of problems such that I don't waste time treating symptoms. The last company that I owned that wasn't vaction rentals or farms was struggling because the owner trusted people who were stealing from him. I got rid of the 6 thieves, did some cosmetic upgrades, implemented a profit sharing compenstion program for employees, and turned it around in less than 2 years. Bought in a $2.2M, put $600K into it, sold it for $5.9M after 22 months. My best investment was my first, had about $1M of borrowed money into it, sold it for around $9M after 18 months, paid the bills, and grew the remaining $8M into $18M over the next 12 years. Isn't growing a business and making money a key component of the American Dream?

You're a POS, no one cares.
260 thinks it's God's will.

Like if a fellow breaks into his house and rapes his wife...260 gonna stand there and say "Thy will be done".

You just doubled down. Are you related to EdM?
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Narcan - 06/18/22

Like if a fellow breaks into his house and rapes his wife...260 gonna stand there and say "Thy will be done".

To get this back on track….
The Narcan, does this scheit work for hangovers?
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Narcan - 06/18/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I have no idea, but..... it wont hurt to try!
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Narcan - 06/19/22
No, it will not. It is a narcotic antagonist only. Actually, like almost every drug, it’s not wholly benign. There are cases in the med literature of pulmonary edema after Narcan.

Of course in the scenario’s here, that’s not a worry
Posted By: Judman Re: Narcan - 06/19/22
Maybe 260 and biitch stick should get together and regale each other about $$$$?? Haha 😂😂
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Narcan - 06/19/22
Originally Posted by GregW

You just doubled down. Are you related to EdM?

That about sums it up
Posted By: old_willys Re: Narcan - 06/19/22
If you watched any of Live PD back when it was on they were giving Narcan to druggies multiple shot a night, as I remember they claimed they had one man that was relived 7 times in one night. That is bullshit and a waste of their time!
Posted By: Buck720 Re: Narcan - 06/19/22
Why are we carrying narcan to save crackheads but no epi pens for innocent people?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Narcan - 06/19/22
Narcan does not work on Crack!

Haha!
Posted By: Buck720 Re: Narcan - 06/19/22
My bad! Pill heads! Haha!!! They all the same in my book.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Narcan - 06/19/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I wish.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Narcan - 06/19/22
No, it will not. It is a narcotic antagonist only. Actually, like almost every drug, it’s not wholly benign. There are cases in the med literature of pulmonary edema after Narcan.

Of course in the scenario’s here, that’s not a worry
The only thing I saw was a few junkies puking afterwards. In the olden days we slammed it. People would wake up like a jack in the box. Admin rate was changed to slow titration to restore breathing. We were actually doing that anyway so we could deliver a sleepy patient to the ER. The only thing I saw was a few junkies puking afterwards.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Narcan - 06/20/22
If they'd had Narcan back in the day, they couldn't have filmed that great scene in Pulp Fiction.

Let that sink in.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Narcan - 06/20/22
The way this thread has gone, I hesitate to even contribute but there is a point to be made. The one who supplies the financing has the right to place restrictions on the funds. The one accepting the funds has to decide whether or not the terms are acceptable. Governments do this all the time, especially the federal government. A small municipal fire department got a grant to buy a new fire engine but the old engine had to be removed from service. It was still serviceable, fire equipment doesn't really get used that much in reality. There were lots of smaller fire districts that could use it or it could have gone into Mexico or retained as a backup. The new engine needs DEF to operate. But according to the grant it had to be destroyed.
In my opinion 260 had every right to place conditions on his donation and the department had every right to refuse that donation based on those conditions.
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: Narcan - 06/22/22
Instead of paying for NARCAN, put the same money in a fund for victims of drug related crimes.
Posted By: rem shooter Re: Narcan - 06/23/22
Instead of paying for NARCAN, put the same money in a fund for victims of drug related crimes.
I agree 100%
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Narcan - 06/23/22
Originally Posted by JeffA

That was a bold face lie. I don't believe that horseschit for a second.
Posted By: Plumdog Re: Narcan - 06/23/22
Odd that Narcan is given away free while Insulin costs an arm and a leg.
© 24hourcampfire