Home
I was wondering if anyone ever got ripped of by a dishonest purchaser in this site or a similar one?
Nope. I've had great luck dealing with the folks buying and selling there.
Not me (knock on wood), but I’m sure it has/does happened on occasion, just due to the shear volume of transactions.
Best learn to "read sign" as the old saying goes.
Not yet, got ripped off on the Ruger site for a grand total of $35, but am still careful about doing business only with established members.
Originally Posted by nimblehunter
I was wondering if anyone ever got ripped of by a dishonest purchaser in this site or a similar one?

Why?

Did you buy a Challenger pistol, or a Yellow Chevy Avalanche? whistle
Originally Posted by TimZ
Not yet, got ripped off on the Ruger site for a grand total of $35, but am still careful about doing business only with established members.

Same here. I am very cautious of new members. There are lots of GREAT folks on here.
I've had no issues dealing with people on forums.I just make sure they have been around for awhile and no negative history.
I've had many transactions through the Classifieds forum here and never a sour one. The same is true for several other forums. There are, however, individuals I will not deal with for being excessively difficult, and in a few cases because they're flamin-assed liberals...you just gotta use your gut there.
Have bought and sold quite a bit here. I only deal with longer term members. Zero issues.
Early on...

Myself and a few others.

Got Jamie 12 years and his wife 2.

Also collected the scammed items and some nice per diem from the DA (I was a witness at the trial).
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Why?

LOL, What a clusterphuck That was!
I've sold more stuff than bought

But never any issues

All in all most guys here are GTG

Any signs of a scammer are brought out in a post pretty fast

The reason I was asking is that I dealt with a guy from Jackson Georgia who traded me an Encore 45 caliber muzzleloader barrel for my Encore 308 barrel. Mine was nearly NIB with about 50 rounds thru the bore and his was supposed to be in excellent condition. It turned out to be badly pitted inside the bore and really bad where powder was left in the breech area. He agreed to send me $100. to make up the difference but never did. I contacted the Encore Classified moderator but never got a reply. The guy gave all kinds of excuses as to why he never got around to sending the $100. Family emergency, close friend died, I'll send it out next week. He finally told me to F off. His name is Casey Mcrae BTW and goes by Trumpvoter77 on the Encore Classified site......Nimblehunter
Not ripped off per se, but bought a scope described as new in box that was obviously used when I got it, plus some accessories listed with it were not included.

I emailed the seller and he was "out of the country" for three weeks. Asked him to get his wife or family to send the extra items but "his reloading room was locked up so no one could get in there". I checked his past ads and PM'ed the buyers for their experiences, some said all was a-okay but some noted that what was promised wasn't what was delivered.

He posted another ad several months later and I congratulated him on his safe return in that ad, plus asked him about that NIB scope that wasn't, and asked if he ever planned to complete our transaction and send the promised accessories.

He finally sent a cheap knock off of what was promised instead of what was described.

That was several years ago and other than that one episode all my transactions on the classifieds have been very satisfactory.
Anyone needing an annuity?
LNIB
Nope. I have backed off on buying a few things as something just wasnt quite right..

Have been more impressed on just how [bleep] some people will pack something for shipping. No schits given.
I purchased two pairs of binoculars, each from a different seller and the both had issues. One obviously out of collimation and one with locking diopter adjustment that was messed up. I don't know that I was intentionally ripped off, but it should have been noticed by the seller prior to sale. I honestly think that some people just don't know enough to know if something is wrong. I've had good luck with everything else.
Are you in need of an Avalache w/1 mile of cable on the winch?
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Why?

Lol, Charger my friend.
Yeah, in 2008 or 2009.

A fella by the name of Paul Webster got 6 or 7 of us on handgun and long gun sales. And he clipped a lot more on other gun and high-end camera forums too.
He was a professional con man and with the help of folks here (and elsewhere) and Lee County, FL law enforcement, he ended up doing some time.

I've had nothing but great experiences both buying/selling otherwise.

Paul Webster Caught story:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/...caught-anti-fraud-tips-from-gunsamerica/
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Color?
It matters!
Bought a Nikon Monarch on here several years ago, supposed to be LNIB. Got it and when you looked through it was like looking at a football. Sent it to Nikon and they sent me a brand new one, so fuqk that guy. Lol

Every other transaction has been flawless, bunch of good guys here.
No.

I rarely go there as there's not much I've ever found I wanted or needed available on that part. Nothing I couldn't get locally without hassle.

I think I only listed 1 item 2 different times - no takers. (krieger barrel) That's not getting ripped off.
Originally Posted by Raeford

Color?
It matters!

Lol, wasn't that fugging thing safety yeller?
Asphalt angel stole my heart
I've had good luck buying and selling on our Classifieds. I find that good communication goes a long way toward a successful transaction. If I have somebody on ignore I won't deal with them and I tend to hang back when a new guy posts something.
As far as selling goes, I find it's better to sell here than wait for a gun show to peddle things, plus, I only have to carry it to the Post Office.

Color?
It matters!

Lol, wasn't that fugging thing safety yeller?

One of a kind Collectable!
Originally Posted by slumlord

Pool pics or it never happened

And so soon after Houndgirl
Nope.
I bet I have 50 classified cowboys on my "do not deal with" ignore list.

It's very rare I actually see an ignored user post anywhere except the classifieds.
Nope. I don't buy used sporting goods ,gun, scope ect.. on lines. I like to fondle purchases before giving my money away. YMMV
Hello. I’m Larry Root
I have bought, sold, and traded many guns etc. on this forum for years. I was never screwed and I also made some friends I have met on the forum---personally! Good guys all of them!!
I have read of a few rip offs, but nothing like some people think there are!
The more people you know and recognize on the forum the safer it is!
I never have, Fuuuuked up a while back, sold rings as lows, but they were mediums. I went to Academy, bought lows, sent them to the buyer, cause I messed up. Rather take a loss than do someone wrong.

I’ve had guys send me valuable things when I mentioned needing something. Fine fellows here!
I’m done with most everything …
The Browning Auto I just bought was Junk ..

The Respect for one another has slipped a long way since my first purchases years ago ..
I bought Zeiss HD scope that was represented as NIB. Paid half of the new retail price. Scope wouldn't hold zero out of the box. I am not sure if it was an honest mistake, but I don't think so. I took advantage of the Zeiss lifetime warranty (with full disclosure to Zeiss), and Zeiss offered me a full retail refund, which I used to buy a new Zeiss V6 scope resulting in a truly brand new upgraded scope for half off. I came out about $750 ahead on the deal. I'd be happy to get "ripped off" like that anytime.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Ditto.

I may have that picture here some where, I will check after work.
i have.
got burned for a whopping 25.00 for some ar parts

also got strung along for a week or so by a "I'll take it" that never paid, just strung me along with a sob story. that one is still here.
Not burned, but singed once.

ya!

GWB
I bought a handfull of stuff on here. Always a good experience. But always from known members and mostly Leupold scopes that I could send in for warranty if by chance there was something wrong with one. But they have all been either NIB or LNIB delivered as promised. I havent bought anything on any other forum.
Good luck here. Only deal with members that have a couple hundred + posts.
Asphalt angle? I missed that one I guess…

Only two issues ever in the classifieds…

One guy bought some reloading equipment form me, I packed it up tight as a drum and shipped no problem. Tracking verification showed arrived in 4 days with signature confirmation. Month goes by and he reached out wanting a refund as it was all damaged in shipping. Refused to provide proof of damage, so I suggested he take it up with usps insurance…

Had another fella sell me a Marlin and it took a call to the local sherif to get the guy motivated enough to ship the gun.

Otherwise there is the very rare “I will take it” only for the guy to back out 2days later. Usually I don’t mind that unless the guys are just being jerks about it. That’s what the ignore function is for…

Dave
Walmart never does me wrong

Thing is tho, I haven’t stepped foot in there in 30 year. Maybe since 19 and 89
For those who say that they only deal with with established members: How does that work? If something is posted for sale and a newer member posts "I'll take it", does the seller refuse and wait for someone else to come along? That seems kind of dishonest.
Walmart never does me wrong

Thing is tho, I haven’t stepped foot in there in 30 year. Maybe since 19 and 89

You can wear a Wigg but it’s still You

I may have that picture here some where, I will check after work.
But why?
Larry Root backed out on our lay-a-way deal.
Originally Posted by WMR
For those who say that they only deal with with established members: How does that work? If something is posted for sale and a newer member posts "I'll take it", does the seller refuse and wait for someone else to come along? That seems kind of dishonest.

I have no problem selling to new members, as local custom is that one pays the money, then the sold item(s) are shipped. For established folk, I typically ship ASAP.

ya!

GWB
Do you know why Asphalt angle had that user name? well her black side boyfriend told her he was going to blacktop her and she told him she was on her period, so he told her to bend over and he was going to Asphalt her.
Never. Always been treated fairly and honestly.
And I do my best to treat those who buy from me with the same level of integrity.
Plenty of advice given on here already.

Yet some peoples kids still get played.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Never an issue over many transactions. If anything seems squirrelly, I insist on discussing the deal over the phone -- that will usually root out a scammer.

I thought she was looking for a liver?
I swear to God ..
If some one came on here that joined 3 days ago had 30 to 50 post randomly on threads.

And was selling a buffalo bob and howdy doody cap gun set Lnib
for a thousand bucks and only took paypal f&f, zelle, or venmo for payment and a email for contact via Pm or even listed on the ad.

Their would be a thread 4 days later up here about no contact, no shipping#, and do you guys think I mighta got ripped off....

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🥴🥴🥴😄😄😄
Originally Posted by renegade50
I swear to God ..
If some one came on here that joined 3 days ago had 30 to 50 post randomly on threads.

for a thousand bucks and only took paypal f&f, zelle, or venmo for payment and a email for contact via Pm or even listed on the ad.

Their would be a thread 4 days later up here about no contact, no shipping#, and do you guys think I mighta got ripped off....

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🥴🥴🥴😄😄😄

You say it's LNIB. Does it come with all the accessories, including holster? How much for shipping?
Define "ripped off". If you mean a total loss of money for no product, then NO.

If you mean poor quality photos hiding defects- then YES.

If you mean poor descriptions hiding the condition despite REPEATED requests for better photos- then YES.

Once got a 7.62x39 chambered Mauser where the "gunsmith" had destroyed the bolt face and extractor to the point of almost not being to hold a cartridge. The same gun had no extractor cut in the face of the barrel, meaning it could not support the rear of the cartridge. Poor work. The seller was surprised to find that someone would check into a rifle in such detail and could not understand why I was so picky.

I simply avoid the Classifieds here and save myself disappointment.
Yes and yes

Shipping is included in the price.

Sweeeeet....

👍👍👍😄😄😄
Originally Posted by gregintenn

+1

I’m careful who I deal with and how I deal with them but have never had an issue.
I'm not a prolific poster at 24 HC though I do log on and read multiple times a day. Lots of knowledge and experience here for all things shooting and hunting. Lots of entertainment too lol. I have sold a few things and traded a few things. I have bought optics, clothing, ammo, and I think 7 maybe 8 rifles to date. I have had no issues.
I have bought and sold several things here over the past few years without any issues.
I swear to God ..

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🥴🥴🥴😄😄😄

Hahahahahaha

Wabigoon would get screwed
I bought a Tikka from Shortactionsmoker, he claimed half inch groups, best I could do was .6”, the liar.
Originally Posted by fishnpbr
I'm not a prolific poster at 24 HC though I do log on and read multiple times a day. Lots of knowledge and experience here for all things shooting and hunting. Lots of entertainment too lol. I have sold a few things and traded a few things. I have bought optics, clothing, ammo, and I think 7 maybe 8 rifles to date. I have had no issues.

Nobody's gonna mess with you with that avatar!
Nope. Two of the best deals I got on the classifieds were with new low/count members.

1) Unprimed new cases. 100 WW 250 Savage, 100 Remington .257 Roberts and 4 50 piece bags of 7x57mm.

2) Leupold 1.5-4x20 scope
Ripped off? Nope. A couple of screw-ups though that I had a part of. I bought a couple of items, changed directions and resold, to find out they weren't quite right. One Remington 700 barrel was 22" not 24" and one bipod was determined to be fake. I ate it on both. The Montana guy that sold the 22" barrel to me as 24" acted like a professional seller saying it was beyond the return period. I don't recall ever inspecting it, my bad. I crossed him off my Christmas list just for being a dick. Turns out he really was a storefront, runs a pawnshop or such. The other guy is ok. He and I both weren't familiar with the bipod model and just figured it was as they are. I know from other dealings with him he's no scammer or cheat.
I don’t do a lot of buying and selling on here. Years (15?) ago I bought a 180 prefix Mini-14 stock from a member in California but not through the classifieds. He sent it before he got payment, then sent me some more Mini-14 stuff gratis. I’ve sold,sent or given stuff to members a few times, never a bad experience.

I have bought Danny’s maple syrup, though I’d prefer to go get some in person when I’m up home. Maybe next trip.
Nope.

And never once in 200+ transactions on Africahunting.com and Accuratereloading.com.
I had one a few years back on another forum. Didn't get ripped off per se, but the item was definitely not represented accurately. I was needing a 410 shotgun press and found an 'as new' MEC 600 JR proffered at a reasonable price. It turns up and its obviously one the dude found at some yard sale. It didn't have the bottles, and was missing a few other things that it should have had and was certainly well 'loved' by whoever had it previously! The seller was in pretty tight with the two guys running the board so my public thrashing of the guy got me kicked in the nutz by the site mods. I bought the missing parts from MEC, fixed up the press and then never used it. About then a local guy got laid off and was selling a brand new Grabber in 410 for about 50% of new so I bought that instead and sold the 600.

I've bought and sold hundreds of things on various boards through the years. I'm both cautious and lucky. If it's any more than about $100, I insist on speaking with the seller. A few times my spidey senses have tingled when it's obvious the seller wasn't on the up and up. The others seem to just refuse to talk when it's a scam. I also don't use Zelle, Venmo, or other similiar BS - pretty much guarantee that's fraud if they won't take any other form of payment.
Nope. In fact…everyone I’ve done business with on the Classifieds here…I’ve considered it a pleasure to do business with em’.
Lots of transactions, both buying and selling....no issues.
Bought a couple nice rifles on here, saved some money, both are sub inch rifles!
My point is just be cautious if dealing with Casey Mcrae from Jackson Ga. [email protected] ripped me off and would probably do the same to others also.
Not the first problem here. Hasbeen
My point is just be cautious if dealing with Casey Mcrae from Jackson Ga. [email protected] ripped me off and would probably do the same to others also.

Ice down a 12 pack and head that way

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Haven't done that much here, but every transaction has been on the "up-and-up"......so far!

I'll attempt "deals" that don't require very much money to change hands.

BTW! All the deals I've done on this site WERE NOT in the "classified" section.
Just guys yakking about stuff they want to get rid of or would like to have.

Yea, we got it dude. Go kick the mf'ers ass and quit whining about it.
I've ot bought or sold on this forum, but I have bought and sold plenty on other forums. Always worked out well.
I recently sold a pile of reloading supplies and took in about 60 personal checks.
I shipped all the items as soon as the check arrived and did not wait for them to clear.
One check bounced, but when I contacted the guy, he promptly sent a money order to cover it.

Tony Rumore
Tromix
Originally Posted by cra1948
I bought a 180 prefix Mini-14 stock from a member in California but not through the classifieds. He sent it before he got payment, then sent me some more Mini-14 stuff gratis.

Years ago, I bought a transferable full auto AC556 (Mini-14) from a machine gun dealer and he got the form 3 cleared in two days and sent the gun before my payment even got to him. It was $8,000.

Tony
I've never had any problems with buying items from the Classified forum here on the Fire.
Only problem I had was about a year after I bought a scope off Kingston and really good comms back and forth during that.

Was I started getting Barry pictures one day outta the blue.
Was like who in the fuuuuk is sending me this schitt???

Then it dawned on me..

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🥴🥴🥴😄😄😄
Only problem I had was about a year after I bought a scope off Kingston and really good comms back and forth during that.

Then it dawned on me..

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🥴🥴🥴😄😄😄

That guy, eh?

Sheesh even.

Then it dawned on me..

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🥴🥴🥴😄😄😄
Dawning of the Age of Aquarius.
Only once. I bought some "once fired" Fed GM brass. Most of it had to be trashed. The seller was a high count poster and long time member. He disappeared after the sale.
Originally Posted by hanco
Bought a couple nice rifles on here, saved some money, both are sub inch rifles!

I sold all my guns to I believe Hanco on here, but back when I was a gun owner, I never had any issues with 24Hour Classifieds as either a buyer or seller. Though, I did once have guy get angry with me because I didn't answer his questions at midnight or 1 a.m. and somebody said "I'll take it" before I could answer his questions the following day.

With that said, I've had a couple of guys severely misrepresent guns on Gunbroker. It both cases it involved Photoshopping blatant flaws and in both cases, it was with dealers that had lots of positive reviews.

Despite my ribbing Hanco, he's a great guy to do business with.
Bought a few scopes, brass, ammo, odds and ends and a single rifle on a WTB post here on the classifieds with no issues. Did get to conversing with a member here that is somewhat local to me that I have bought a few rifles from face to face.
I too sold all my firearms to members in Texas. GBT!
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Originally Posted by hanco

I sold all my guns to I believe Hanco on here, but back when I was a gun owner, I never had any issues with 24Hour Classifieds as either a buyer or seller. Though, I did once have guy get angry with me because I didn't answer his questions at midnight or 1 a.m. and somebody said "I'll take it" before I could answer his questions the following day.

With that said, I've had a couple of guys severely misrepresent guns on Gunbroker. It both cases it involved Photoshopping blatant flaws and in both cases, it was with dealers that had lots of positive reviews.

Despite my ribbing Hanco, he's a great guy to do business with.

Sold some to you also, never a problem. Thanks again for letting me have the Henriksen rifle back.
I like folk here, Honest people. All my deals have been good, except USPS mishaps.
Only have bought things on the fire, pretty sure I have not sold anything but could be wrong. Have not been ripped off but have been disappointed in what I purchased twice. Licked my wounds and moved on. Seems my idea of excellent condition is not the same as some others. Chance ya take i guess when you only can see a couple pics and take someone you dont knows word for it. Live n learn.
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
If I have somebody on ignore I won't deal with them and I tend to hang back when a new guy posts something.

If you have someone on ignore then you wouldn’t see their posts for what they were selling smile

Bought and sold many items on here and other forums. Never had a deal go sideways that I can remember.
© 24hourcampfire