Home
Or the demand is dying. I did a quick check today and found 3 Chevy Duramax 2500 LT trucks for $62,000.00. I called Dave Smith and they have 1 2500 LTZ for $70,000.00.

In January, I couldn’t find a single truck over 1/2 ton in the entire western US. Dave Smith said that GM has decided that they will build trucks as they get orders, and maybe not deal with filling lots with trucks anymore.

The news isn’t worth listening to, Biden has wrecked the American economy and what once made America great has been diminished to bicycle riders and people smeared with tattoos.

All of a sudden, robbing a bank doesn’t sound like such a bad idea…
Wonder if the chip thing is still an issue??

I bet there are close to 2000 F-150 s sitting on a huge lot just up the street from where I work.

Also wondering if the slow down is people waiting for the stuff to hit the fan in the next 6 months to 1 year.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I bet there are close to 2000 F-150 s sitting on a huge lot just up the street from where I work.

Also wondering if the slow down is people waiting for the stuff to hit the fan in the next 6 months to 1 year.

You have witnessed that personally?

I have heard rumors, just nothing proving that. I can’t imagine what a year old truck will be worth when all those chips are supposed to arrive.

Meanwhile they seem to be building and selling trucks, where are they getting those chips?
I can try to snap a pic if I remember when I leave work tonight.

I was estimating it as a 20 acre lot, Earth measure it as 34 acres.

Awesome! Is this just a Ford thing?
Yes. I know of 2 other lots about 15-20 miles north that are loaded the same.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Here is one of em. Last time I was by there it was more full than this pic. Not sure when this image was taken.
All of those reflective glares is the top of trucks.
Probably a half dozen or more light towers going over them every night.
That's probably where my f150 was sitting the 8 times it was delayed.

Bb
I recently did the truck thing.
What a mess.
Ended up buying my lease.
Worst time ever to buy a new vehicle

Dave
maybe they are holding them for the Chinks, when they come to take over after the end of the Biden Administration this fall.
Yes. I know of 2 other lots about 15-20 miles north that are loaded the same.

I live within 50 miles of the Super Duty plant in Louisville, and for awhile this spring, they had every lot in the area (including right up the road from me) filled with Super Dutys awaiting chips. Due to downsizing at Ft. Knox, our little town has a lot of strip malls that are empty, Ford fenced them in and used them for overflow.
I could use 5 new/newer trucks right now, We’re waiting til the bottom falls out though. My insurance agent said they’re selling more gap insurance policies than they ever have. People afraid prices will crash and in the event it’s totaled they want the pay off to be covered even if it’s more than the “new” value.
Chip issue isn't going away until early- to mid-2023. Build trucks & park them; you can't makeup profit for a truck you never built, but you can plug in a chip later after it becomes available. In Detroit alone Ford had 30K+ pickups parked, but that number has been whittled down as chips arrive. And just in time for a potential recession and escalating interest rates making expensive trucks even less affordable. Talk about the perfect storm. LGB.
Originally Posted by kappa8
Chip issue isn't going away until early- to mid-2023. Build trucks & park them; you can't makeup profit for a truck you never built, but you can plug in a chip later after it becomes available. In Detroit alone Ford had 30K+ pickups parked, but that number has been whittled down as chips arrive. And just in time for a potential recession and escalating interest rates making expensive trucks even less affordable. Talk about the perfect storm. LGB.

I think you nailed it.

I guess I don’t understand why you can order a new truck and get it, while there are trucks already made and undeliverable because they have no chips?
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I guess I don’t understand why you can order a new truck and get it, while there are trucks already made and undeliverable because they have no chips?

Not sure, but it seems Ford is having more issues than Ram for example. I ordered a Ram 2500 in late February and picked it up in June. A good friend of mine ordered a F450 in early November and still doesn't have a delivery date.
I’ve heard of several people not taking the trucks they ordered once they come in. I found one on the lot built in mid June, I bought it late June. One was right beside it that the guy who ordered backed out on. That seems to be helping with the back log.

They’re using the available chips for trucks that already have a buyer, no risk of a truck sitting on a lot for a month waiting for a buyer?
Originally Posted by Grumman
I’ve heard of several people not taking the trucks they ordered once they come in. I found one on the lot built in mid June, I bought it late June. One was right beside it that the guy who ordered backed out on. That seems to be helping with the back log.

I've heard this too. People with FOMO got on the list "just in case" and now it's time to buy and they bail. Didn't really want/need a new rig.
The Ford dealer here shows 12 pickups on their lot. Not a single real truck in the bunch. They're all short beds grocery haulers.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

They’re using the available chips for trucks that already have a buyer, no risk of a truck sitting on a lot for a month waiting for a buyer?

The demand is greater than that. People want those trucks, they would sell if they were on a lot somewhere in America…
So you order and get a 2021 truck in mid late 2022, one that has sat for 10-15+ months.

Woo-Hoo, good times!
Used lots all of a sudden have lots of vehicles on the lot again around here. It's not so much that supply is increasing, demand is dropping on recession fears and increased interest rates. Since most people buy on payments, not price, doubling the interest rate pushes that payment up a couple of hundred a month, even when stretched to 7 years and more.
A fairly local Chevy dealer here says they have 34 Duramax 2500's at this time. A low number for them. They've been known to be the 4th largest Chevy Truck dealer in the nation.

Ya want a High Country? they have a few, about $84,000 ea.

And I also saw the F250's in storage east of Louisville. The entire property at Ky. Speedway covered with Furds.

That lot has been on and off full for close to a year. That sound about right to you?
Just spoke to my friend that ordered a 2022 last November. He said his order will now move to a 2023 without any priority. He said it may be another year before he sees the F450 he ordered if that soon. It is a total mess.
Why is it Chrysler/Fiat can deliver new vehicles in a few months of being ordered, yet ford is a year or more out?
It is puzzling, you would think the manufacturers would want to sell every available truck, yet it sounds like they hey are trying to create their own shortage.

With electric cars being pushed so hard these days, you would think that Detroit and big oil would be more involved with the cost of fuel and availability of trucks…
It could be that the chips Ford needs run critical systems. I know GM and Dodge are selling with the option to go back to the dealer and have the missing chips installed. Those chips run non critical functions like heated steering wheel, park assist, and DMF.

Just a guess.

Clyde
Hate to get a ‘22 (or ‘21) model year when the ‘23’s are hitting. They going to cut you a deal on a 2 year old truck selling as “new”?
Or the demand is dying. I did a quick check today and found 3 Chevy Duramax 2500 LT trucks for $62,000.00. I called Dave Smith and they have 1 2500 LTZ for $70,000.00.

In January, I couldn’t find a single truck over 1/2 ton in the entire western US. Dave Smith said that GM has decided that they will build trucks as they get orders, and maybe not deal with filling lots with trucks anymore.

The news isn’t worth listening to, Biden has wrecked the American economy and what once made America great has been diminished to bicycle riders and people smeared with tattoos.

People are running out of money and have maxed out their 4 to 6 credit cards and can't fit an $800 a month truck payment in their budget under this Biden economy. Plus their net worth ( house value) has started to plummet and people are slowly waking up.

You'll start seeing lot more inventory and sales in a few months like in 2010
A couple truck groups I belong to have been reporting they have gotten their trucks (in this case GM and Chevy) without the chips that control certain functions like heated seats and other options and GM has given them a credit until the chips come in and they will be installed at the dealership at a later date... sounds kind of sketchy to me but the demand for trucks hasn't really slowed down and a lot of guys are taking what deals they can to get a truck these days...
Recent upward swing in fuel probably didn't help much. It's coming down but still...
Originally Posted by gunzo
And I also saw the F250's in storage east of Louisville. The entire property at Ky. Speedway covered with Furds.
Last I heard, Ford cleared out the KY Speedway by sending all the trucks to crushers for scrap.
With electric cars being pushed so hard these days, you would think that Detroit and big oil would be more involved with the cost of fuel and availability of trucks…
How is it that there doesn't seem to be a shortage of chips for electric cars?
I work in the industry. Ford availability has been better the Ram or Chevy/GMc with the exception of Superdutys. Superduty F250 and F350 stopped shipping at all for almost 6 months. Most ford dealers of decent size have 35-60 vehicles on the ground. Just cause their website says they have 34 doesn't mean there are 34 on the ground. Many of the dealer groups pool their inventory on all their websites. For example: if they have 10 chevy dealerships they may show 100 available but the reality is most dealers might have 10. they also started showing "in Transit" and in production vehicles on their website which could take 1-6 months to get there.

Toyota inventory comes in spurts. A dealer near me that sold 320 new last month currently has 4 on the ground. supposed to have several hundred coming this month but they have not showed up yet.

Cars can sit at the port for several reasons: waiting on chips, recalls, lack of trucks/drivers to deliver them. The ports are now allowing dealers to bring a van load of guys and self deliver 5-10 vehicles at a time because of a lack of drivers.

the small town dealers are really being hurt by lack of vehicles. I know of two small dealers with Zero new 1500 trucks on the ground.

used car inventory has increased and prices are coming down. interest rates and inflation is killing credit scores for the past 2 quarters now. But you still see 1-2 year old used trucks priced higher than MSRP for a new one. I know of some that are charging $10,000 additional "market adjustments" on top of the listed prices which is illegal in most places. Sad things is there are people lining up to pay it especially for new vehicles in short demand. these people will be buried upside down in vehicle value for years. I cant believe the banks are financing these vehicles.

No one is scrapping new vehicles that is pure BS.

Most dealers have had record profits 8 out of the last 15 months with the other months darn close to records so they are not hurting at all. However if the new inventory situation changes rapidly a lot of used cars are going to sit or be sold at huge losses.

It going to take another year for things to get back to relative normal.
It is puzzling, you would think the manufacturers would want to sell every available truck, yet it sounds like they hey are trying to create their own shortage.

Nope, they can keep the demand WAY up and supply low, then they don't have to discount the new trucks at all. Fifteen years ago, I could look at a newspaper and see adds for the dealers advertising $10-13 thousand OFF sticker price, now they are commanding a premium OVER sticker, for basically the same kind of vehicles. When I bought my last new pickup, I got a $1000 rebate, now they want $4000 OVER sticker. The carmakers are lapping this stuff up.
Originally Posted by ribka

People are running out of money and have maxed out their 4 to 6 credit cards and can't fit an $800 a month truck payment in their budget under this Biden economy. Plus their net worth ( house value) has started to plummet and people are slowly waking up.

Something like 2 trillion in additional cc debt added in last two quarters and reports that any average savings that was increasing has been depleted now.

This downturn is gonna hit a second wave here shortly.
A buddy knew where a new Bronco was coming to a dealer at. Gave em a down and once the Bronco came in the price went up almost $15k.

They gave him the option to take at the increased price or get his down payment back.

He is still shopping for a Bronco for his wife.
Originally Posted by Heeler

That lot has been on and off full for close to a year. That sound about right to you?
The old Metro Auto Auction lot??

Probably.

I know there is a lot up East of Oceans of Fun that was packed on my boss says there is another somewhere off of 210 that's full.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by ribka

Something like 2 trillion in additional cc debt added in last two quarters and reports that any average savings that was increasing has been depleted now.

This downturn is gonna hit a second wave here shortly.
Dad watches some business show and says they are sayin spring. Supposedly economies in other countries are slowing down as is ours which fuel prices and lumber prices are easing up. I guess we will see

I am holding off on building a new house until then. Hopefully material prices go down as some have almost doubled in a year and a half.
A buddy knew where a new Bronco was coming to a dealer at. Gave em a down and once the Bronco came in the price went up almost $15k.

They gave him the option to take at the increased price or get his down payment back.

A buddy here ordered a Bronco in late 2020[with a substantial down payment].
He turned near $10K on it without ever driving it.
Back in March, I tried to buy a new Nissan Frontier. They were $3000 over sticker and I refused to pay that. I offered to pay sticker and they declined. I didn't even bother to ask about the company discount I get off of sticker. I knew what that answer would be. Went to local Toyota dealer to buy a Tacoma. They were charging 8000 dollars over sticker and getting it. Couldn't keep them in stock. I finally bought a new CMC Canyon AT 4. I paid sticker but also got my supplier discount which took 1800.00 off. Still waiting for chips for the heated seats. It will probably be awhile.
I wouldn't buy a new truck even if I had the spare change. The prices are ridiculous.
Originally Posted by AML
Back in March, I tried to buy a new Nissan Frontier. They were $3000 over sticker and I refused to pay that. I offered to pay sticker and they declined. I didn't even bother to ask about the company discount I get off of sticker. I knew what that answer would be. Went to local Toyota dealer to buy a Tacoma. They were charging 8000 dollars over sticker and getting it. Couldn't keep them in stock. I finally bought a new CMC Canyon AT 4. I paid sticker but also got my supplier discount which took 1800.00 off. Still waiting for chips for the heated seats. It will probably be awhile.
Wait until these people that way overpaid want to trade in a couple or 3 years.
You should see what they have done to lease buyouts....
Dave
Originally Posted by dave7mm
You should see what they have done to lease buyouts....
Dave

I haven't kept up with them. What is happening on that end?
There are pros and cons to the dealers in this situation- the cons are they don't have vehicles for people to look at and test drive so I'm betting that alone drives down sales . The Pros for dealers is that if they aren't on the dealers' lot, they don't have to pay the flooring and interest on the vehicle until it hits the lot and by that time it is probably already sold so minimum up front cost to the dealers ...

A co-workers friend ordered a new Ford diesel, when it showed up,
The truck went up a bunch. His trade dropped. It was $15k on the deal.
He hesitated, they gave him 24 hours. He got a bank loan, and
threatening a breach of contract suit, bought it outright.
Took it home and sold it on the web. Took almost a month, but he made
around $9k on the deal. Still driving his old(2018) truck.
A year ago if a used vehicle came up for sale it was gone within a few days if price was decent.

I started my 06 Silverado out high for a few days and have now been at what I feel is a fair price w room to still come down.

2 tire kickers and 1 bud that tried lowballing me. Not sure if it's just cars that get decent mileage that sell fast or if the used market for truck has softened.
Originally Posted by Sheister
...a lot of guys are taking what deals they can to get a truck these days...

Not this cowboy. I will hang on to my 2003 GMC with the 8.1L gas guzzler and 6 speed manual. Why would I want to pay $60K+ for a plastic push button POS?

Ordered a New 2022 Ram 1500 crew cab back in April 2022 it was delivered to me in 12 weeks. grin
everyone is free to spend their money as they see fit but I cant undersatnd at all why people are more than willing to spend 70,000 plus on something with a realistic value of 40,000 and think they got a good deal
The carmakers are also doing something else stupid, they aren't making basic models any more, everything they're making are the high-dollar rigs. When the local Ford dealer here gets a new F-150, it's always at least a $55,000 vehicle, with all the gadgets and gewgaws they can cram into it. Trying to buy a regular old pickup is impossible around here. I've checked their website several times recently (I was in the market, but changed my mind) and they had ZERO new vehicles, none. All they had were used cars/trucks, mostly stuff folks don't want anyway, and all those were overpriced. (Ft. Knox Ford).
After looking at their line-up. I decided that Ford doesn't make anything I want anyway.
I bought a new GMC a few months ago. Waiting on chips. August and aSeptember for the.heated steering wheel and heated and cooled seats. December for the parking assist chip
Originally Posted by elkmtb
used car inventory has increased and prices are coming down. interest rates and inflation is killing credit scores for the past 2 quarters now. But you still see 1-2 year old used trucks priced higher than MSRP for a new one. I know of some that are charging $10,000 additional "market adjustments" on top of the listed prices which is illegal in most places.

Where is it illegal to sell a vehicle and add a “market adjustment” ?
Will be plenty this fall after the ELE hits in September.
Hard times for lots of people.
Our local small town Ford dealer has zero new pickups on the lot.

None.
There are 3 dealers between 10 and 20 minutes of me and 2 don't have any Super Dutys.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Our local small town Ford dealer has zero new pickups on the lot.

None.

This is why…

Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by gunzo
Last I heard, Ford cleared out the KY Speedway by sending all the trucks to crushers for scrap.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Originally Posted by elkmtb
used car inventory has increased and prices are coming down. interest rates and inflation is killing credit scores for the past 2 quarters now. But you still see 1-2 year old used trucks priced higher than MSRP for a new one. I know of some that are charging $10,000 additional "market adjustments" on top of the listed prices which is illegal in most places.

Where is it illegal to sell a vehicle and add a “market adjustment” ?
Here's a little info from Carsdirect.com:

Are Car Dealer Markups Legal?
By
Alex Bernstein
, Managing Editor - February 17, 2022

With the majority of car buyers now paying above MSRP, it may beg the question of whether or not car dealer markups are even legal. Since prices are market-driven and franchise rules can allow dealers to determine selling prices, dealer markups may be legal but have nuances worth knowing about to get the best deal possible.

Are new car markups legal? From the manufacturer's standpoint, dealers are often given the freedom to price cars based on market demand. In some cases, so-called market adjustments may create scenarios in which a car sells for $1,000, $5,000, or even $30,000 over MSRP. The worst markups may be even higher.

In many cases, state & local laws may dictate what a dealer can advertise to avoid "false advertising" and "bait-and-switch" situations. This may involve listing the VIN and expiration date. While it may be appropriate to talk with a legal professional if necessary, it's also important to keep in mind that cars are subject to prior sale.

Can dealers mark-up interest rates? Lenders generally need to adhere to laws meant to protect consumers. When it comes to captive financing, each automaker has its own rules and limits on markups. For example, VW Credit and Audi Financial Services recently limited the markup on lease rates from 3% down to just 1%.

If a promotional interest rate like 0% APR is being widely advertised, captive lenders may prohibit markups. In other cases, lenders allow "dealer participation" based on a customer's credit and other factors. Dealers may profit on the difference in "buy rate" and "sell rate," or sometimes take a fixed fee from the manufacturer.

Getting the best deal possible. If you think you may be paying a markup, we recommend looking at your unique situation. Prices can be subject to change and incentives generally come out at the start of the month. While there can be ways to avoid a dealer markup, your options may be limited amid an inventory shortage.

The information in this article reflects our expert analysis of car prices and manufacturer incentives and should not be interpreted as legal advice. Be sure to speak with a legal professional based on laws for the area in which you live.

Awesome! Is this just a Ford thing?

Naw, obamamobiles are parked also. obamamotors says it has 95,000 vehicles waiting on parts.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Will be plenty this fall after the ELE hits in September.

What's this ELE you speak of?
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
The carmakers are also doing something else stupid, they aren't making basic models any more, everything they're making are the high-dollar rigs. When the local Ford dealer here gets a new F-150, it's always at least a $55,000 vehicle, with all the gadgets and gewgaws they can cram into it. Trying to buy a regular old pickup is impossible around here. I've checked their website several times recently (I was in the market, but changed my mind) and they had ZERO new vehicles, none. All they had were used cars/trucks, mostly stuff folks don't want anyway, and all those were overpriced. (Ft. Knox Ford).
After looking at their line-up. I decided that Ford doesn't make anything I want anyway.
they dont have enough computer chips to put in the trucks they have already made, sitting in parking lots with no chips in them ,or for the ones can make ,so what is their solution? build only trucks with all the options that take more of the chips they dont have ,.Making way less of them , instead of building basic models with less chips .kinda like democrats who say we will lower inflation ,by barrowing more money, and giving it away
Serious question. Can a “work truck” be found or does one have to order it from the manufacturer? I’m talking either an f-150 Half ton or a GMC/Chev. Just a plane white p/u with 8 cyl, auto trans, heat and air. Thanks
Originally Posted by hotsoup
Serious question. Can a “work truck” be found or does one have to order it from the manufacturer? I’m talking either an f-150 Half ton or a GMC/Chev. Just a plane white p/u with 8 cyl, auto trans, heat and air. Thanks

Around here, you'd have to order one, there are none on the lots. You cannot find ANY F-150s, for local example, less than $55K on a lot, if they have any pickups at all. They do NOT want to sell a pickup without the "value-added" crap to jack up the prices. The dealers don't want to fool with a stock, basic pickup, unless you're buying for fleet sales. They just don't want to do it.

Local tends to have a couple but they're also never 1/2 ton. Always a chassis cab of some sort.
The Ram dealer by me moves a lot of white Ram Tradesman trucks. 4x4 with 5.7 for mid 30's.
I see white Chevys for about the same price.
I just wish they would bring back the extended cab. I don't need a 4 door but the 2 door sucks. Give me a extended cab with a 6 1/2' box.
It's lack of demand. All of the stolen and fraudulently obtained covid payoff money has been spent.
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
The Ram dealer by me moves a lot of white Ram Tradesman trucks. 4x4 with 5.7 for mid 30's.
I see white Chevys for about the same price.
I just wish they would bring back the extended cab. I don't need a 4 door but the 2 door sucks. Give me a extended cab with a 6 1/2' box.
Nobody has quit making the extended cab.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Around here, you'd have to order one, there are none on the lots. You cannot find ANY F-150s, for local example, less than $55K on a lot, if they have any pickups at all. They do NOT want to sell a pickup without the "value-added" crap to jack up the prices. The dealers don't want to fool with a stock, basic pickup, unless you're buying for fleet sales. They just don't want to do it.

Yep, who wants to sell a $40k truck? We needed a new truck for work. Coworker crashed one. We asked for Tradesman edition 3/4 ton and we have fleet sales. Still took ten weeks to get one.
They still make the extended cab with a 6.5’ box. They (GM) just call it a ‘double cab’ as opposed to a crew cab, and the doors open outward, just like a mini crew cab. Have to look fairly close to detect a difference.
Originally Posted by K1500
They still make the extended cab with a 6.5’ box. They (GM) just call it a ‘double cab’ as opposed to a crew cab, and the doors open outward, just like a mini crew cab. Have to look fairly close to detect a difference.
Door handles exposed on the shorter doors. Dodge started this on their extended cabs back in '02sh.
© 24hourcampfire