Home
I got my daily e-mail from the NRA this morning. One of the articles was titled,
5 Instances When Reloading Is Not Beneficial

Went through the basics with the first (4), then it came to number (5).

5: You're Planning To Use It For Self-Defense

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/5-instances-when-reloading-is-not-beneficial/

JFC I thought that myth was expelled when everybody realized Massad Ayoob was an idiot sponsored by ammunition manufactures.

Back to the same question, find a single case where Handloads were used against the shooter in a good shoot.
They must be talking to that Ayoob charlatan..
How is it a "myth"?
Why would anyone GAF what NRA thinks? Their emails go right to my SPAM folder without being opened.
"However, factory ammunition comes with an added value: a liability shift. Major manufacturers have run their products through extensive legal considerations and are prepared to handle anything that might come up through its use. Should you use your homemade ammunition in a life-or-death encounter, you might have to prove that you didn’t make it any more lethal than something commonly available at a sporting-goods store. Self-defense ammunition is expensive, but not nearly as expensive as paying a lawyer for the extra time to (hopefully) prove that you didn’t fire anything “enhanced” on the day of the incident."

lol
Maybe they have to suck up to ayoob cause he's the only one still paying dues.
Retired LEO here. Most people do not realize that the attorneys don't take an oath to tell the truth during a trial. All they have to do is implant a suggestion that sticks with one of the jurors bias. So they can say anything, get it objected to, but the damage is done. If you should ever have the misfortune of being involved in a shooting, if your not charged criminally, you almost certainly will be sued. Either one is life-changing and expensive. I've been retired 13 years, and a jury trial back in my day with a decent attorney defending you in a homicide was 500K in SE Virginia. I still CC and my ammo is what I carried when it was issued to me, 9mm Golddot, 124 grain +P.
Originally Posted by Morewood
"However, factory ammunition comes with an added value: a liability shift. Major manufacturers have run their products through extensive legal considerations and are prepared to handle anything that might come up through its use. Should you use your homemade ammunition in a life-or-death encounter, you might have to prove that you didn’t make it any more lethal than something commonly available at a sporting-goods store. Self-defense ammunition is expensive, but not nearly as expensive as paying a lawyer for the extra time to (hopefully) prove that you didn’t fire anything “enhanced” on the day of the incident."

lol
Is reloading for a 45 ACP considered to be an 'enhanced' 9mm? Any time you shoot a larger, more powerful caliber, isn't than an enhancement over a smaller caliber?
Originally Posted by steve4102
I got my daily e-mail from the NRA this morning. One of the articles was titled,

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/5-instances-when-reloading-is-not-beneficial/

JFC I thought that myth was expelled when everybody realized Massad Ayoob was an idiot sponsored by ammunition manufactures.

Back to the same question, find a single case where Handloads were used against the shooter in a good shoot.

I don't understand why you're so out of sorts about this. It sounds like a very reasonable precaution.

As for Ayoob being paid by ammo manuifacturers (it's not spelled "manufactures," BTW), what gun writer isn't. Free hunts and such.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
They must be talking to that Ayoob charlatan..
I'll let you have him on your team.😁
As long as suckers (born every minute) send them money the drum will continue.
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
Retired LEO here. Most people do not realize that the attorneys don't take an oath to tell the truth during a trial. All they have to do is implant a suggestion that sticks with one of the jurors bias. So they can say anything, get it objected to, but the damage is done. If you should ever have the misfortune of being involved in a shooting, if your not charged criminally, you almost certainly will be sued. Either one is life-changing and expensive. I've been retired 13 years, and a jury trial back in my day with a decent attorney defending you in a homicide was 500K in SE Virginia. I still CC and my ammo is what I carried when it was issued to me, 9mm Golddot, 124 grain +P.
That load is much enhanced over the 120 gr flat point hard cast in my 327.

Remember the days when anything but ball ammo was a sure sign of a blood thirsty killer? The rhetoric over "dum-dums"?

I think possession of HP ammunition is still prohibited in some jurisdictions.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
That load is much enhanced over the 120 gr flat point hard cast in my 327.

Remember the days when anything but ball ammo was a sure sign of a blood thirsty killer? The rhetoric over "dum-dums"?

I think possession of HP ammunition is still prohibited in some jurisdictions.
HP's are not allowed in NJ. Unless you're a cop.
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

I don't understand why you're so out of sorts about this. It sounds like a very reasonable precaution.

As for Ayoob being paid by ammo manuifacturers (it's not spelled "manufactures," BTW), what gun writer isn't. Free hunts and such.

It's not spelled manuifacturers, either......
Attorney's are ruthless, I agree. Experts can be just as much, if not more so. The truth is, and I've been an expert in one case, was the shot justified or not. That's the only question that ever came up - on either side.
Fug those commie oxygen thieves.

When Wayne is gone and there is a profound apology and drastic change in behavior, we can talk about membership again.
To make matters worse, if you are in a urban enviroment, and shoot someone not of your race, you have a real up hill battle to fight. Media will not be on your side, jurors will likely not be your peers, and the judge will likely be liberal. You can be 100% in the right and still lose everything. Literally.
That particular point made by the NRA is gratuitous at best. If the purpose of your having/using the firearm in a situation is self-defense (and is that not the core of the 2nd amendment?), you are entitled to the best defense you can manage.

Yes, this glut of greedy lawyers has heavily influenced the minute slicing/dicing of equipment used in such situations - purely trying to grab $$ from those who had to defend themselves against a criminal - which misuse of the law is sick and deplorable.

I would be immensely more interested in effectively protecting my loved ones and myself than I would be concerned about a sleazy lawyer trying to profit from my doing something basically sound and correct.

That ammo has been in the gun for a long time - I don't even know specifically what it is or who made it - so neither do you.
I requalify every year at the local PD or with the Sheriff's department. I carry the same ammo. Just to stay out of this garbage. I'm pretty sure whatever they are using will kill bad guys. I see no need to get all fancy and such.

kwg
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
How is it a "myth"?
If the claim is made by the defendant that they were justified in shooting the attacker, the only factors a jury is allowed to consider are factors related to justification. The prosecutor is not even permitted to introduce evidence that your ammo was hand loaded, since that doesn't relate to whether the shooting was justified.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
How is it a "myth"?
If the claim is made by the defendant that they were justified in shooting the attacker, the only factors a jury is allowed to consider are factors related to justification. The prosecutor is not even permitted to introduce evidence that your ammo was hand loaded, since that doesn't relate to whether the shooting was justified.
I agree, I think the only time a "load" would come into question is if you shot the perp, bullet went through him, through the sheetrock, shattering the 2x4 stud, busted through the outside brick, traveled 50', went through the privacy fence, across the street, through a cars window and ended up lodged into the Twinkie that a 4 yr old in the back seat was getting ready to take a bite out of.
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
When Wayne is gone and there is a profound apology and drastic change in behavior, we can talk about membership again.

Amen brother. Life Member here.
Anyone remember Harold Fish and his choice of ammo.
I receive American Rifleman every month because I've been a Life Member for about 30 years. They go from the mailbox to the front seat of my pickup, ride into the garage with me, then go straight into the trash can. Except the ones with the ballots...I bring those in and handwrite my feelings toward the BoD and Skunkpierre on the ballots and mail them in.

Until the bylaws are changed so the BoD does not control the Nominating Committee, I am OUT and they'll never see another nickel of mine.

When I feel like contributing to the righteous cause, GOA gets my money.
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I receive American Rifleman every month because I've been a Life Member for about 30 years. They go from the mailbox to the front seat of my pickup, ride into the garage with me, then go straight into the trash can. Except the ones with the ballots...I bring those in and handwrite my feelings toward the BoD and Skunkpierre on the ballots and mail them in.

Until the bylaws are changed so the BoD does not control the Nominating Committee, I am OUT and they'll never see another nickel of mine.

Basically the same here (NRA Life Member since 1990), but became a LM of the Second Amendment Foundation instead of GOA. They are both good, but SAF spends their money fighting laws that violate the 2nd.
I’m an NRA life member but haven’t given them an extra dollar in years. It still pisses me off to think that I sacrificed making payments on a lifetime membership during hard financial times and a layoff, thinking that I was doing something worthwhile. Meanwhile Wayne bought suits, and provided housing for a mistress.
And we wonder why the enemy gets stronger. Divide and conquer. I agree with some of what I read here, but keep it to myself. Support who you want, I give to several, but attacking any pro gun group, or pro gun writer just plays into the hands of those who hate us.
I was a member for 35 years. Wayne Lapierre, in my opinion, is a typical corporate crook. I'll wait to sign up again. Bastards call me every week.
How is it a "myth"?
Find one case, one single case where the prosecution used handloaded ammunition against the defendant in a self defense shooting.

While you are at it, find a case where handloaded ammunition was a factor in a civil case.
Depends on the State. Some States, MN for example, have passed legislation making difficult if not impossible to sue the shooter in a “justified” self defense shooting.
In Washington if you are involved in a justified shooting or it’s ruled as justifiable self defense then you are immune to civil suits or further actions against you. If the state takes you to trial and you are found not guilty the state is required to pay all your legal fees and costs. So while this state has been going downhill we still have historically enjoyed a fairly decent stance towards our 2A rights. It’s only been the last decade where they’ve been trampled on by the new transplants and liberal geeks.

If I’m ever forced to use my firearm in self-defense I will be so clearly justified that the question of what ammo I’m using won’t be asked. If it is asked they can shove the answer up their ass because it changes nothing regarding the justification and justification is all that matters in those cases.

I do tailor my ammo to the perceived target. If I’m in the woods hollow points and heavy hard cast are in the cylinder or mags. If I’m in populated areas where innocent bystanders are present I carry lightweight or pre-fragmented rounds like Glaser Safety slugs or RBCD. I know there are some who don’t like lightweight or pre-fragmented rounds because they’ve read reviews but in my experience, real life experience, I’ve found those rounds to be devastating when used within their intended parameters just like any bullet.

How is it a "myth"?
Find one case, one single case where the prosecution used handloaded ammunition against the defendant in a self defense shooting.

While you are at it, find a case where handloaded ammunition was a factor in a civil case.
Originally Posted by CCCC

How is it a "myth"?

What’s your point
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
How is it a "myth"?

Ah I see what you mean now. Thanks hawkeye.

How is it a "myth"?

What’s your point
Is that a question? Highlights the diversity of "true knowledge and expertise" we find on the Campfire. "This bad stuff will happen to you - no it won't because it hasn't."

How is it a "myth"?

What’s your point
Is that a question? Highlights the diversity of "true knowledge and expertise" we find on the Campfire. "This bad stuff will happen to you - no it won't because it hasn't."

Ah, I get it, live in fear cuz somebody told you you should live in fear, just in case.
It doesn't matter what ammo you use, only the DA. The DA in the Rittenhouse shooting tried to vilify him over his ammo choice. Factory FMJ.....

Todd
Originally Posted by Justahunter
It doesn't matter what ammo you use, only the DA. The DA in the Rittenhouse shooting tried to vilify him over his ammo choice. Factory FMJ.....

Todd
Tried to, but it was objected to and sustained.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I do tailor my ammo to the perceived target. If I’m in the woods hollow points and heavy hard cast are in the cylinder or mags. If I’m in populated areas where innocent bystanders are present I carry lightweight or pre-fragmented rounds like Glaser Safety slugs or RBCD. I know there are some who don’t like lightweight or pre-fragmented rounds because they’ve read reviews but in my experience, real life experience, I’ve found those rounds to be devastating when used within their intended parameters just like any bullet.

Honest question. Have you shot people? Or were these experiences responding to a scene where someone else shot the person?
What the hell do I care about some attorney questioning me if I employed hand loads or factory? I’m still alive to be questioned. If the DA wants to question me....good ‘nuff. I can handle my own when it comes to ballistics, firearms, techniques et al. Let ‘em fire away with the questions. He better be ready to look like a damn fool.
The NRA has little or NO input regarding such. MTG
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Basically the same here (NRA Life Member since 1990), but became a LM of the Second Amendment Foundation instead of GOA. They are both good, but SAF spends their money fighting laws that violate the 2nd.

ditto.
That particular point made by the NRA is gratuitous at best. If the purpose of your having/using the firearm in a situation is self-defense (and is that not the core of the 2nd amendment?), you are entitled to the best defense you can manage.

Yes, this glut of greedy lawyers has heavily influenced the minute slicing/dicing of equipment used in such situations - purely trying to grab $$ from those who had to defend themselves against a criminal - which misuse of the law is sick and deplorable.

I would be immensely more interested in effectively protecting my loved ones and myself than I would be concerned about a sleazy lawyer trying to profit from my doing something basically sound and correct.

That ammo has been in the gun for a long time - I don't even know specifically what it is or who made it - so neither do you.
Exactly. I mean, how the heck could the Po-leece even tell whether the ammo was factory or reloaded?
Not in Tennessee. If you are not convicted of a crime, you can not be sued in a civil case in a self defence situation.
Originally Posted by Cowboy21
I was a member for 35 years. Wayne Lapierre, in my opinion, is a typical corporate crook. I'll wait to sign up again. Bastards call me every week.

Same... Wayne LaPierre is a total crook, POS, and should be ousted by the BOD of the NRA but they lack the balls.

Bye bye NRA! I'll come back when WLP is gone.
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Fug those commie oxygen thieves.

This. Until then, fuggem.
And by the way, LEOS don't take an oath to tell the truth either, too many cases of investigators and interrogators lying to suspects to get them to admit something, it is rampant.
Originally Posted by Masshunter
And we wonder why the enemy gets stronger. Divide and conquer. I agree with some of what I read here, but keep it to myself. Support who you want, I give to several, but attacking any pro gun group, or pro gun writer just plays into the hands of those who hate us.

I'm not so sure I regard NRA as being a "pro gun group" anymore when I consider the stupid things they've done in the past (not to mention the more recent escapades that have come to light)...things like supporting Harry Reid, for instance, back in the 90s. The NRA is being run to benefit those who draw an NRA paycheck, and they've degenerated to the point that they operate like---and blend in quite well with the DC Swamp. We do ourselves a supreme disservice by keeping quiet and allowing this to continue without objection. With friends like that who needs enemies?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire