Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
How is it a "myth"?
If the claim is made by the defendant that they were justified in shooting the attacker, the only factors a jury is allowed to consider are factors related to justification. The prosecutor is not even permitted to introduce evidence that your ammo was hand loaded, since that doesn't relate to whether the shooting was justified.
I agree, I think the only time a "load" would come into question is if you shot the perp, bullet went through him, through the sheetrock, shattering the 2x4 stud, busted through the outside brick, traveled 50', went through the privacy fence, across the street, through a cars window and ended up lodged into the Twinkie that a 4 yr old in the back seat was getting ready to take a bite out of.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
When Wayne is gone and there is a profound apology and drastic change in behavior, we can talk about membership again.

Amen brother. Life Member here.

NRA Life Member
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Anyone remember Harold Fish and his choice of ammo.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I receive American Rifleman every month because I've been a Life Member for about 30 years. They go from the mailbox to the front seat of my pickup, ride into the garage with me, then go straight into the trash can. Except the ones with the ballots...I bring those in and handwrite my feelings toward the BoD and Skunkpierre on the ballots and mail them in.

Until the bylaws are changed so the BoD does not control the Nominating Committee, I am OUT and they'll never see another nickel of mine.

When I feel like contributing to the righteous cause, GOA gets my money.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I receive American Rifleman every month because I've been a Life Member for about 30 years. They go from the mailbox to the front seat of my pickup, ride into the garage with me, then go straight into the trash can. Except the ones with the ballots...I bring those in and handwrite my feelings toward the BoD and Skunkpierre on the ballots and mail them in.

Until the bylaws are changed so the BoD does not control the Nominating Committee, I am OUT and they'll never see another nickel of mine.

When I feel like contributing to the righteous cause, GOA gets my money.

Basically the same here (NRA Life Member since 1990), but became a LM of the Second Amendment Foundation instead of GOA. They are both good, but SAF spends their money fighting laws that violate the 2nd.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’m an NRA life member but haven’t given them an extra dollar in years. It still pisses me off to think that I sacrificed making payments on a lifetime membership during hard financial times and a layoff, thinking that I was doing something worthwhile. Meanwhile Wayne bought suits, and provided housing for a mistress.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
And we wonder why the enemy gets stronger. Divide and conquer. I agree with some of what I read here, but keep it to myself. Support who you want, I give to several, but attacking any pro gun group, or pro gun writer just plays into the hands of those who hate us.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I was a member for 35 years. Wayne Lapierre, in my opinion, is a typical corporate crook. I'll wait to sign up again. Bastards call me every week.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How is it a "myth"?
Find one case, one single case where the prosecution used handloaded ammunition against the defendant in a self defense shooting.

While you are at it, find a case where handloaded ammunition was a factor in a civil case.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
Retired LEO here. Most people do not realize that the attorneys don't take an oath to tell the truth during a trial. All they have to do is implant a suggestion that sticks with one of the jurors bias. So they can say anything, get it objected to, but the damage is done. If you should ever have the misfortune of being involved in a shooting, if your not charged criminally, you almost certainly will be sued. Either one is life-changing and expensive. I've been retired 13 years, and a jury trial back in my day with a decent attorney defending you in a homicide was 500K in SE Virginia. I still CC and my ammo is what I carried when it was issued to me, 9mm Golddot, 124 grain +P.
Depends on the State. Some States, MN for example, have passed legislation making difficult if not impossible to sue the shooter in a “justified” self defense shooting.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
In Washington if you are involved in a justified shooting or it’s ruled as justifiable self defense then you are immune to civil suits or further actions against you. If the state takes you to trial and you are found not guilty the state is required to pay all your legal fees and costs. So while this state has been going downhill we still have historically enjoyed a fairly decent stance towards our 2A rights. It’s only been the last decade where they’ve been trampled on by the new transplants and liberal geeks.

If I’m ever forced to use my firearm in self-defense I will be so clearly justified that the question of what ammo I’m using won’t be asked. If it is asked they can shove the answer up their ass because it changes nothing regarding the justification and justification is all that matters in those cases.

I do tailor my ammo to the perceived target. If I’m in the woods hollow points and heavy hard cast are in the cylinder or mags. If I’m in populated areas where innocent bystanders are present I carry lightweight or pre-fragmented rounds like Glaser Safety slugs or RBCD. I know there are some who don’t like lightweight or pre-fragmented rounds because they’ve read reviews but in my experience, real life experience, I’ve found those rounds to be devastating when used within their intended parameters just like any bullet.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Retired LEO here. Most people do not realize that the attorneys don't take an oath to tell the truth during a trial. All they have to do is implant a suggestion that sticks with one of the jurors bias. So they can say anything, get it objected to, but the damage is done. If you should ever have the misfortune of being involved in a shooting, if your not charged criminally, you almost certainly will be sued. Either one is life-changing and expensive. I've been retired 13 years, and a jury trial back in my day with a decent attorney defending you in a homicide was 500K in SE Virginia. I still CC and my ammo is what I carried when it was issued to me, 9mm Golddot, 124 grain +P.

Originally Posted by steve4102
How is it a "myth"?
Find one case, one single case where the prosecution used handloaded ammunition against the defendant in a self defense shooting.

While you are at it, find a case where handloaded ammunition was a factor in a civil case.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by CCCC

How is it a "myth"?

What’s your point

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
How is it a "myth"?
If the claim is made by the defendant that they were justified in shooting the attacker, the only factors a jury is allowed to consider are factors related to justification. The prosecutor is not even permitted to introduce evidence that your ammo was hand loaded, since that doesn't relate to whether the shooting was justified.

Ah I see what you mean now. Thanks hawkeye.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

How is it a "myth"?

What’s your point
Is that a question? Highlights the diversity of "true knowledge and expertise" we find on the Campfire. "This bad stuff will happen to you - no it won't because it hasn't."

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S

How is it a "myth"?

What’s your point
Is that a question? Highlights the diversity of "true knowledge and expertise" we find on the Campfire. "This bad stuff will happen to you - no it won't because it hasn't."

Ah, I get it, live in fear cuz somebody told you you should live in fear, just in case.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It doesn't matter what ammo you use, only the DA. The DA in the Rittenhouse shooting tried to vilify him over his ammo choice. Factory FMJ.....

Todd

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Justahunter
It doesn't matter what ammo you use, only the DA. The DA in the Rittenhouse shooting tried to vilify him over his ammo choice. Factory FMJ.....

Todd
Tried to, but it was objected to and sustained.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I do tailor my ammo to the perceived target. If I’m in the woods hollow points and heavy hard cast are in the cylinder or mags. If I’m in populated areas where innocent bystanders are present I carry lightweight or pre-fragmented rounds like Glaser Safety slugs or RBCD. I know there are some who don’t like lightweight or pre-fragmented rounds because they’ve read reviews but in my experience, real life experience, I’ve found those rounds to be devastating when used within their intended parameters just like any bullet.

Honest question. Have you shot people? Or were these experiences responding to a scene where someone else shot the person?

GOA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What the hell do I care about some attorney questioning me if I employed hand loads or factory? I’m still alive to be questioned. If the DA wants to question me....good ‘nuff. I can handle my own when it comes to ballistics, firearms, techniques et al. Let ‘em fire away with the questions. He better be ready to look like a damn fool.
The NRA has little or NO input regarding such. MTG

Last edited by MTGunner; 12/02/22.

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 3,105 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,881
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.