Home
P265/70 R16, 2013 Nissan Frontier, SV V-6, 4-door, stock suspension. Currently has some crapper Provider Entrada A/T tires (previous owner) which are noisy as can be and probably costing me gas mileage. I want highway tires that are QUIET.

I'm considering, from Discount Tire:

Continental Terrain Contact H/T 70,000 mile warranty

Michelin Defender LTX M/S 70,000 mile warranty

Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT 65,000 mile warranty

Goodyear Wrangler Steadfast HT 70,000 mile warranty

Any current problems with Goodyear? BFGoodrich?? Bridgestone???
Cooper^2
Just put on Goodyear dura treks on my 1/2 ton Chevy. Only been on a couple trails and no complaints so far. Was really interested in Goodyear WRANGLER ULTRATERRAIN AT But those are a discount tire exclusive and we don’t have one nearby.
Defender and be done with it. Rated the quietest of highway tires, long lasting and likely to be round.
Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S - 65K Mi. Warranty

Great, and quiet, A/T tire.

GR
I just went through the tire buying crap. My friend has a tire shop and made me a good deal on some off brand tires. I had a week of pure hell. I had them road force balanced twice and two different front end shops look at my Toyota Tacoma and found nothing wrong to cause a vibration. It had a vibration in the steering wheel at 55-65 MPH. Finally my friend said he would refund my money and I bought Goodyear Wrangler Ultra AT's and now my truck runs and drives better than ever and its an 08 model. It cost almost twice as much but well worth it.
OP looking at 4 highway tires. 3 recommendations for AT tires and one recommendation that's not one of the 4 on the list. We may not be a very bright group, be we sure are unhelpful.
Geolander A/T 015. Best light truck tire out the there.
Nothing like a tire thread.
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I want highway tires that are QUIET.

Micheline Defender LTX M/S 70,000 mile warranty

Michelins are expensive for a reason, they are the best tire made.
Michelin does not make a great off road tire, but for hiway use, they

last longer, more miles

have fewer failures, flats/blowouts.
For highway use, Micheline LTX.
Originally Posted by High_Noon
For highway use, Micheline LTX.

That is the easy button and the far better choice over the others. Goodyears are nice until you put 20k on them and I won't drive in something with Dunlops.
I have Michelin Defender LTX on my F250 and will continue buying the same. For my Toyota 4runner, I'm on my 3rd set of Yokohama Geolander and have been very happy with them.
I need tires before the winter. I'm either going with the Micheline Defender LTV or the BF Goodrich AT KO2's. I'll probably end up with the Michelines because of the longer warranty and they are quieter. The most off roading I do is in a corn field for goose hunting. I think they will be fine for that.
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I have Michelin Defender LTX on my F250 and will continue buying the same. For my Toyota 4runner, I'm on my 3rd set of Yokohama Geolander and have been very happy with them.

How do your LTX's do in the mud?
The Michelin LTX is a poor choice for mud.
I wouldn't put a Cooper tire on my wheelbarrow let alone my truck.

Had two of them peel the tread off like a cheap re-cap at 70mph. The first one only did about $2,500 worth of damage to my truck.
The second one did $6,000. I am surprised the truck didn't roll over on the second, since it pitched the truck sideways and slid down the highway quite a ways before I got it straightened back out.

When the first one failed, Cooper said the tires were not recalled, but gave me one new one. When the second one failed, they changed their mind and said that lot was indeed recalled.

At the time, there was a law firm that did NOTHING but sue Cooper Tires for failures. I haven't looked lately, but back then, Cooper tires had so many recalls, I'm surprised they are still in business.

Tony
Have the Michelin's on this truck. but had the Continental Terrains on my 3/4 ton Ram. Was a great tire in my opinion
Go see what your Hankook dealer has.
Originally Posted by TonyRumore

Had two of them peel the tread off like a cheap re-cap at 70mph. The first one only did about $2,500 worth of damage to my truck.
The second one did $6,000. I am surprised the truck didn't roll over on the second, since it pitched the truck sideways and slid down the highway quite a ways before I got it straightened back out.

When the first one failed, Cooper said the tires were not recalled, but gave me one new one. When the second one failed, they changed their mind and said that lot was indeed recalled.

At the time, there was a law firm that did NOTHING but sue Cooper Tires for failures. I haven't looked lately, but back then, Cooper tires had so many recalls, I'm surprised they are still in business.

Tony

I had a similar bad experience with a Cooper fail. Luckily, no significant damage.
Got a set of Michelins and they roll smooth and quiet. Amazingly so, will coast 50 percent further than my winter studs. Wear is also quite good considering there's lots of forestry and boondocks "roads" under them.
Michelin Defender LTX M/S 2 have been great tires for me on our Toyota Highlander. Got over 90,000 on first set and have over 70,000 on the ones on it now and they will go to 90,000. Relatively quite and do very well in snow. Not so much in mud.
I've got 45,000 on a set of Defenders on my 1/2 ton Ram. Still look and ride new. Very good in snow and rain. Also very quiet.

When my wife's '21 Durango needs tires, Defenders will be going on it.
I had Michelin Defenders on my last truck. Great tires ,wet traction snow. no flats. Had 90,000 on them when I traded it. Just put a set on my Wife's Toyota SUV today. When I buy tires for my truck they will be Michelin.
Just bought a set of the Continental Terrain Contact H/T
for the wife's Highlander to replace the junk coopers the dealer had installed and am very happy with them. i was in same boat as you but i did a search comparison of the Michelins vs Continentals . For the price the Continentals are as good as the Michelins and some tests rate them higher. Heres a tire rack one just google it you will have days or reading . https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=300
I’m pleased with my Firestone Destination AT2’s. Good quiet ride on the ride and aggressive enough for snow and mud.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
OP looking at 4 highway tires. 3 recommendations for AT tires and one recommendation that's not one of the 4 on the list. We may not be a very bright group, be we sure are unhelpful.

The IQ level here has dropped immensely over the past five years or so.
I put Michelin Defenders on my Tacoma about a year ago based on the advice of several folks I know. I’m very happy with them. They ride smooth and quiet, showing no wear. Great on wet roads.
I'm running Michelins and Coopers on all 6 of my SUVs.

Defender LTX M/S on 5 different vehicles and Cooper Discoverer HTP II on 1.

I gave up on Firestone, General, Goodyear, and Kelly Springfield.
Originally Posted by Anaconda

last longer, more miles

Agree. I’m mostly an “on road” driver, and have used Michelins with very good results.
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by Anaconda

last longer, more miles

Agree. I’m mostly an “on road” driver, and have used Michelins with very good results.

^^^This^^^
Nokians are equal to Michelins... FACT
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

I’m gonna be one more of those unhelpful people. The OEM Hankook Dynapro HT tires are still on my ‘19 Frontier, 85,000 miles now no problems, 6/32” was still on them at 80,000. I’ve had them rotated and balanced every 5,000 with each oil change. All highway miles.

I’m looking to switch them out soon. I could be talked into Michelin Defenders but there hasn’t been a thing wrong with these Hankooks.
ElkSlayer91 was a tire expert...

What ever happen to him?
I just had a set of Goodyear Workhorse AT's put on my 2 wheel drive chevy pickup. I had the highway tire on before these. I am not hearing any difference in noise between the 2 sets and the last set were highway tires while the Workhorse AT's are definitely more of an off road/mud and snow tire. The downside is the Workhorse AT's are guaranteed for 50,000 miles and the former highway tires were guaranteed for 60,000. I have only owned the truck for 30,000 miles and they had some wear on them before I bought the truck. So, I don't know if they would of actually made it for 60,000.

kwg
Defenders if it's all on road BFG Ko2s if you're doing some off roading.

Bb
Originally Posted by JLWilson
Geolander A/T 015. Best light truck tire out the there.

I had these on my '16 Frontier, great tires for my needs (2WD, but I drove it a lot in snow, never a spin, relatively quiet, and a LOT better than the OEM tires).

My new '23 Frontier has Hankooks on it, they're the quietest tires I've never heard, they may not be great off-road (haven't tried them off-road yet), but they are super quiet on the highways.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

This what makes tire threads so great.

You never ask about a specific tire.

Cause everyone is going to tell you about their tires.

It's fabulous and encapsulates what's great about forums.
I run full throttle 75MPH on the highway pulling the ponies and cows.
(Ace)

Depending on the washboard, 30-60MPH on the gravel.
(Sam)

Toyo MT's, nuff said.

chorle
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Nokians are equal to Michelins... FACT

I believe Nokian and "Vativa" are the same tire, made in Finland. I have run them exclusively for the last 20 years and absolutely love them. I will continue to buy them until I can't get them anymore. The wear great, ride great, are excellent in Minnesota winters and were considerably less than the other brands mentioned. My dealer turned me onto these years ago and he still runs them himself. Seriously, give them a hard look.
For highway only driving I have no idea but for all around highway and some offroad use go with the BFG all terrain. For serious gravel roads, snow, mud and pretty much anything you can throw at them Toyo M55 is the toughest tire I have found.
I know Ali down at the tire shop and he always hooks me up with top of the line Coopers for a decent price.

Good tire IMHO
Originally Posted by colvin
for the wife's Highlander to replace the junk coopers the dealer had installed and am very happy with them. i was in same boat as you but i did a search comparison of the Michelins vs Continentals . For the price the Continentals are as good as the Michelins and some tests rate them higher. Heres a tire rack one just google it you will have days or reading . https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=300

Thanks for that comparative review. The Continental Terrain Contact H/T was reviewed pretty much equal to the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Plus, the Continental is $209.00/each with a $110 mail-in rebate, while the Michelin is $255.00/each with no rebate at this time (at my nearest Discount Tire).
Skip all the crap and put Toyo mt on .great wearing and do well in mud. Get your wallet out. No free lunch
I have toyo AT 3's each tire has a 4100 pound load rating, they are quiet and seem to be wearing well. which is perfect for hauling my 15000 pound fifth wheel across the country.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
This
Originally Posted by COLORADO_LUCKYDOG

I'm mainly highway and dirt ranch roads. No mud. I don't expect they'd be good in mud, not a very aggressive tread. Which is fine with me, I don't expect to do any mud off-roading with a crew cab diesel long bed. That's a recipe for being stuck, really bad.
Well, I ordered 4 Continental Terrain Contact H/T's from Discount Tire, my appt is Thursday morning. Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forward to ditching the noisy all terrain tires I've been using since the beginning of 2019. In case you're wondering, total bill is $1005.96 with a $110. mail-in rebate.
My buddy who commutes to work probably 60 mile round trip every day.
He just got some falkens wildpeak h/to2. He likes them
I have wildpeak a AT 3 on my truck. Very happy with that tire

Edit I see I’m 2 hours late
Geez, the guy wants road tires, not dirt road ranch tires. I picked up a brand new set of Geolanders takeoffs someone was selling on FB for $300 for my truck. 99% or my driving is on pavement and they work great on dry, wet, or snowy roads. Might not be the best for hauling a 20,000# 5th wheel cattle trailer on rough dirt roads, but I’ll never do that and my truck wouldn’t anyways. I doubt the OPs Nissan Frontier midsize truck will either.

Tony

I've been running Cooper AT3's for eight years with no issues.
You're in TX. You could run mostly bald Maypops and be good. That said, I don't care for either Firestone or Bridgestone.

Tony

That’s surprising.

What year were these failures?
Well, I ordered 4 Continental Terrain Contact H/T's from Discount Tire, my appt is Thursday morning. Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forward to ditching the noisy all terrain tires I've been using since the beginning of 2019. In case you're wondering, total bill is $1005.96 with a $110. mail-in rebate.

Nice , i think you will be happy with them. We've had our continentals on for about 4 months now and man what a difference from the coppers that were on. So the 2 major things i noticed driving the wife's highlander were how quiet they were and the better handling from them.
LTX and you won’t regret it
never seen a at3 that didnt get very loud after half wear.id never buy those whining things again. have 2 buddys that just took them off at half tread wear for the same reason. yoyo tires have wore better than anything else for me.

new then 2021 silverado has 24,000 miles bf goodrich at tires that came from discount tire. had them rotated and rebalanced yesterday. they say they have only worn 1/16th" in 24,000 miles. didnt hurt my mpg . if toyo tires would have been available when i needed tires i wouldnt have bought the goodrich . all the toyo were sitting on ships off the california coast then. very happy with the bf goodrich so far.
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S - 65K Mi. Warranty

Great, and quiet, A/T tire.

GR
I put 4 of these i 27” on my 2002 Ranger 3 years ago last fall.
When I bought my 2010 Ranger, I switched the wheels and tires over the The new one before I sold the old one.
They’re pretty decent all terrain, do well in heavy snow, and they’re quiet.
7mm
I've had good luck with General grabber at2's, Cooper at3, Hankook atm's,
Of your hiway choices I would go with the Continentals. They wear like iron. Have some on my 08 Infinity G37 and prefer them over anything I have had on that vehicle. I know it isn't a pickup so maybe not apples to apples but Dad swore by them.
I use AT's and went with Geolander this time. They are not at all macho looking is the only pity. On slick roads they are freaking great and quiet. No real off road mud test to speak of yet. Very happy so far.
Michelin for the win!
My last two sets of michelins dryrotted before they needed replacing, rode great, and did pretty dang good off road, but not gonna buy them again until that is addressed. Never had that issue with other brands. The new ltx ats almost look like highway tires

My 2020 came with duratracs, they slip and slide everywhere, and are very loud once you get over 50.

Last two sets I have bought were toyo open country at3, loved them but I'm about to give the falken wild peaks a try, a little more warranty, a little more thread, and I've heard good things. I remember when you could get a set of good AT tires for 1k, not anymore, those days are gone.
Have the same truck as the OP and also need tires. Will probably go with Nokians again. Good enough and $1000 out the door. Good for about 40K.
Made the cooper mistake they were horrible noisy salesman at discount tire talked me into them
They were great for 10k or so then they went to howling
They made it right and replaced them with good years cost me something but not much
Mischlin is my favorite tire expensive up front but will outlast them all making them really the best value
Mischlin owns bf Goodrich so when I need an off-road tire the ko2 has the Mischlin silica in them and serve pretty well
I’m running them on my k5 and wife’s 4 runner and a farm truck.
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Mischlin owns bf Goodrich so when I need an off-road tire the ko2 has the Mischlin silica in them and serve pretty well

That's what I'm running.

Great tires after taking off the POS Coopers. frown
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco

That's what I'm running.

Great tires after taking off the POS Coopers. frown

KO2 have been discontinued, replaced with the K03. I ordered up a set today to replace a set of KO2 with too many miles on em.
Michelin is my choice. I tried several others on my 2001 Tundra, and they were the best hands down when it came to ride and wear.
At 85,000 miles the OEM Hankook Dynapro HT tires on my Nissan Frontier were down to 5/32.(70,000 mile warranty).

Quiet tires. All highway miles, no towing. One flat at 40,000 miles, sheet metal screw, fixed cheap at local Tex-Mex tire shop no problem.

One began to sound like it was getting out of round last week so I just switched them out for the same again. $165 per tire plus mounting at a national tire chain.

The Dynapro HT tire just went out of production. Hankook replaced it with a Dynapro AT tire, also a 70,000 mile rated highway tire, $145 at that same place.
On my 2000 Tundra the Michelin LTX AT2 tires are extremely quiet. Replaced the fronts with Cooper and they are not up to Michelin standards.
Last Saturday I drove my F350 home using a 20 year old virgin spare tire.

Pull up to the hayfield, get out and hear a noise, take a look and see the right front tire losing about 10lbs per minute. She was going down quick. Started the air compressor and got her back up so I could insert my hydraulic jack. POS 3 year old jack didn't work, it's been continually chitty and I forgot to buy a new one.

Anyway I had to use the factory issued jack, it's either the first or second time for that item. It worked.

Then I had to lower the spare tire. It was a Michelin(!) but it did have some cracks on the sidewall. Dry rot,,,,nah it was okay, just drove the 20 miles home about 20 mph slower.
Originally Posted by pal
On my 2000 Tundra the Michelin LTX AT2 tires are extremely quiet. Replaced the fronts with Cooper and they are not up to Michelin standards.
I had a couple sets of Cooper, and after a while they rode like they were square and did the shimmy....I thought it was just my truck. I had to get them balanced several times. I didn't know any better until I got some Michelin Defenders.
Well as much as I been busted on here about running wally world Goodyear wranglers AT,s.
They have a good aggressive tread.
Shed mud well.
Gravel and small rocks.
Pick them out with a screwdriver at the house.
Ain't never experienced hydroplaning with em.
Usually blow by the fearful in heavy rain.
Quiet on the Highway, but I'm also pretty hard of hearing.
But I can hear Slumlord talking to me on Ph or in person.
So they can't be that loud I geuss.
Ain't had no wobble ride or out of balance issues with em.

All I can say is I can get 50 55k outta em.
And ain't never got stuck yet in places I go.
Red and Grey clay stuff
Rock ledge areas
Forrest floors and the dredded frozen leaf cover on wet slick ground under them.
Ran em on 4wd rangers
Got em on my little POS 4wd Colorado.
And honestly that little POS Colorado is shorter wheel base than any ranger I have had and is able to go into alot more tight and knarly areas.
Seems to have more power in 1st and 2nd gear hi and low on hills and holds well on side slopes also.

I could try other aggressive AT tire brands at waaay higher prices but how much would I actually gain use wise over 160 165 bucks a tire I paid for these.

Tires are like just about everything else.
Personal preference and what works for you.

I'm gonna go start a oil change thread.
👍🏻🤣🤦‍♂️🤣👍🏻
I run BFG AT’s and they last a long time, stay in balance and round, have the traction-device snowflake, and are tough. But the OP wants highway tires for his truck.
Originally Posted by renegade50

👍🏻🤣🤦‍♂️🤣👍🏻

Damn right brother!

FWIW I have yet to find(buy) a chitty tire or bad engine oil.
Wow, lucky you. I’ve had bad tires.

Not sure how’s you’d even know for sure you had bad engine oil, unless I suppose you get samples tested. I just run Mobile One in everything from lawnmowers on up and sleep well at night.

I’ve had several sets of Defenders. Great highway tires. You don’t need mud to get them stuck. Dew on the grass will do it.
General at grabbers
I've got general grabbers on my 1500, they were on when I bought it. They seem fine. For the last 9 years before I ran Hancooks, Got incredible mileage out of them. I've onlr put 28000 on the generals and bought the pickup with 27000 miles on so have no idea of what the tires have on them. Wear so far has been minimal.
Nothing but bad experiences with Continental tires on new vehicles. Avoid at all costs.

Always replaced with Michelins & never regretted it.

Buy Michelin and you'll never regret the extra pennies.
Originally Posted by kappa8
Nothing but bad experiences with Continental tires on new vehicles. Avoid at all costs.

Always replaced with Michelins & never regretted it.

Buy Michelin and you'll never regret the extra pennies.

+1
This...Michelin Defender LTX M/S 70,000 mile warranty...all I ever buy, ride comfort is good from day one to the day you replace them but you better like them 'cause they last a very long time, my last set 70k+ miles. Putting a set on my new truck as soon as these tires wear out.
Originally Posted by 257Bob
This...Michelin Defender LTX M/S 70,000 mile warranty...all I ever buy, ride comfort is good from day one to the day you replace them but you better like them 'cause they last a very long time, my last set 70k+ miles. Putting a set on my new truck as soon as these tires wear out.

Yup, haven’t read all 5 pages of this thread yet, but Consumer Reports always rates the Michelin and Continental tires as their top choices. All three of our vehicles have the Michelin tires on them including my F-150 with those LTX’s. That truck doesn’t go out stump jumping like my old ones did because if I get stuck in 2wd, I just dial in 4wd, back out and atv or walk from there. Engaging the brain before I need 4wd has saved me lots of winching.
Originally Posted by colvin
Colvin, that is the most useful post on the entire thread!

Sweet, an evaluation showing actual measured data! OK, I'm an analytical nerd but real data rules IMNSHO!

I'm sure going to look for a similar evaluation at tiretrack.com when I need new tires!

/John
Since the OP is looking for hwy pickup tires, I'm of no help. I've never had hwy tires on a pickup. Always buy M/S style tread for pickups.
Rather than talk about it, here is an example of what the latest Toyo Open Country tires are capable of. I am not stuck, just got out to take a picture when I was shooting gophers…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Add a set of chains and you can go even farther. Still not stuck, just not moving forward anymore. Backed right out of the drift…

Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by renegade50

👍🏻🤣🤦‍♂️🤣👍🏻

Damn right brother!

FWIW I have yet to find(buy) a chitty tire or bad engine oil.

Me either Sam. Some ride a little different or whatever, but I've never bought a bad set of tires.
Originally Posted by High_Noon
The Michelin LTX is a poor choice for mud.

So are the M&S I have on my Ram 3500. Work pretty well otherwise. Been running them year round up here - but not off-road much except the 2 miles into my Lobo cabin (track - Ok when it's not wet - turns to grease). A bit squirrely on snow/ice too, of course. But - "I have 4WD- I can go anywhere". smile

They will last the winter out, anyway - might just go with them again in the spring. Almost certainly "whatever" will be Michelin again.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Add a set of chains and you can go even farther. Still not stuck, just not moving forward anymore. Backed right out of the drift…

What is that white stuff?

I am from the Virginias
I need tires before the winter. I'm either going with the Micheline Defender LTV or the.............. BF Goodrich AT KO2's............lll. I'll probably end up with the Michelines because of the longer warranty and they are quieter. The most off roading I do is in a corn field for goose hunting. I think they will be fine for that.
No....83 rt mile per day on black top...1/2 the tread gone...in less then 2months....no !
Looking to put car tires on a truck? How about buying a car if that's what you're going to use it for?
I like A/T's or M/T's on a truck and car tires on a car.
I guess we have different preferences.
"KO2 have been discontinued, replaced with the K03. I ordered up a set today to replace a set of KO2 with too many miles on em."

According to BF Goodrich's website they still make the KO2 and you can still order them. I bought five LT295/65 R20 ALL TERRAIN T/A KO2 tires last Friday. The website also says the KO2 is a snow/ice wet pavement tire and the KM3 (not KO3) tire is a mud tire.

https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/auto/tires/mud-terrain-t-a-km3
Originally Posted by pal

Mchelin has the highest quality standards of any tire manufacturer along with the best compounding. I have yet to see a LTX mounted on a truck or SUV that does not get its rated mileage, Provided of course that you keep them properly inflated.
© 24hourcampfire