Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
P265/70 R16, 2013 Nissan Frontier, SV V-6, 4-door, stock suspension. Currently has some crapper Provider Entrada A/T tires (previous owner) which are noisy as can be and probably costing me gas mileage. I want highway tires that are QUIET.

I'm considering, from Discount Tire:

Continental Terrain Contact H/T 70,000 mile warranty

Michelin Defender LTX M/S 70,000 mile warranty

Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT 65,000 mile warranty

Goodyear Wrangler Steadfast HT 70,000 mile warranty

Any current problems with Goodyear? BFGoodrich?? Bridgestone???

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cooper^2

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Just put on Goodyear dura treks on my 1/2 ton Chevy. Only been on a couple trails and no complaints so far. Was really interested in Goodyear WRANGLER ULTRATERRAIN AT But those are a discount tire exclusive and we don’t have one nearby.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Defender and be done with it. Rated the quietest of highway tires, long lasting and likely to be round.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S - 65K Mi. Warranty

Great, and quiet, A/T tire.

GR

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I just went through the tire buying crap. My friend has a tire shop and made me a good deal on some off brand tires. I had a week of pure hell. I had them road force balanced twice and two different front end shops look at my Toyota Tacoma and found nothing wrong to cause a vibration. It had a vibration in the steering wheel at 55-65 MPH. Finally my friend said he would refund my money and I bought Goodyear Wrangler Ultra AT's and now my truck runs and drives better than ever and its an 08 model. It cost almost twice as much but well worth it.

Last edited by pyscodog; 08/07/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OP looking at 4 highway tires. 3 recommendations for AT tires and one recommendation that's not one of the 4 on the list. We may not be a very bright group, be we sure are unhelpful.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Geolander A/T 015. Best light truck tire out the there.

Christopher Columbus, the greatest Democrat of them all.

He left not knowing where he was going, and when he got there he did not know where he was. He returned not knowing where he had been, and did it all on someone else's money.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nothing like a tire thread.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I want highway tires that are QUIET.

Micheline Defender LTX M/S 70,000 mile warranty

Michelins are expensive for a reason, they are the best tire made.
Michelin does not make a great off road tire, but for hiway use, they

last longer, more miles

have fewer failures, flats/blowouts.

MOLON LABE
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For highway use, Micheline LTX.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by High_Noon
For highway use, Micheline LTX.

That is the easy button and the far better choice over the others. Goodyears are nice until you put 20k on them and I won't drive in something with Dunlops.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have Michelin Defender LTX on my F250 and will continue buying the same. For my Toyota 4runner, I'm on my 3rd set of Yokohama Geolander and have been very happy with them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I need tires before the winter. I'm either going with the Micheline Defender LTV or the BF Goodrich AT KO2's. I'll probably end up with the Michelines because of the longer warranty and they are quieter. The most off roading I do is in a corn field for goose hunting. I think they will be fine for that.

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I have Michelin Defender LTX on my F250 and will continue buying the same. For my Toyota 4runner, I'm on my 3rd set of Yokohama Geolander and have been very happy with them.

How do your LTX's do in the mud?

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Michelin LTX is a poor choice for mud.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I wouldn't put a Cooper tire on my wheelbarrow let alone my truck.

Had two of them peel the tread off like a cheap re-cap at 70mph. The first one only did about $2,500 worth of damage to my truck.
The second one did $6,000. I am surprised the truck didn't roll over on the second, since it pitched the truck sideways and slid down the highway quite a ways before I got it straightened back out.

When the first one failed, Cooper said the tires were not recalled, but gave me one new one. When the second one failed, they changed their mind and said that lot was indeed recalled.

At the time, there was a law firm that did NOTHING but sue Cooper Tires for failures. I haven't looked lately, but back then, Cooper tires had so many recalls, I'm surprised they are still in business.

Tony

Last edited by TonyRumore; 08/07/23.

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have the Michelin's on this truck. but had the Continental Terrains on my 3/4 ton Ram. Was a great tire in my opinion

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Go see what your Hankook dealer has.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TonyRumore
I wouldn't put a Cooper tire on my wheelbarrow let alone my truck.

Had two of them peel the tread off like a cheap re-cap at 70mph. The first one only did about $2,500 worth of damage to my truck.
The second one did $6,000. I am surprised the truck didn't roll over on the second, since it pitched the truck sideways and slid down the highway quite a ways before I got it straightened back out.

When the first one failed, Cooper said the tires were not recalled, but gave me one new one. When the second one failed, they changed their mind and said that lot was indeed recalled.

At the time, there was a law firm that did NOTHING but sue Cooper Tires for failures. I haven't looked lately, but back then, Cooper tires had so many recalls, I'm surprised they are still in business.

Tony

I had a similar bad experience with a Cooper fail. Luckily, no significant damage.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,780
Posts18,477,082
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.