Home
Just became aware of this concept this evening, listening to a radio program on locally, but out of Potlandia...

Evidently they are being built all over the place, with no one really bringing attention to them, but I sure see what they are described as being built all over Portland.. and have been for a decade or more.... .and now Eugene ( think U of O. ) is looking at making a study, of turning Eugene into the same thing....Its for the environment Dude!:

Hierarchy of centers for the 15-minute city
ROBERT STEUTEVILLE JUL. 28, 2023
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn MailTo
I recently spoke on a panel discussing the 15-minute city, and the cool graphic above was presented showing a hierarchy of mixed-use centers throughout the City of Portland, Oregon. This kind of analysis would help many cities plan to achieve an urban environment where owning an automobile is optional—or at least car-light living is possible.

To achieve a 15-minute city, you not only need safe and interesting places to walk, but you also need useful destinations. That's where mixed-use centers come in. As the map above shows, there are 32 urban centers in Portland, but they are not all the same. Twenty-one are “neighborhood centers,” which can be defined as a small main street. Each neighborhood center contains about 2,500 households within a half-mile radius (a 10-minute walk from edge to center).

Buildings may be up to four stories tall—but are often one to three stories—in these smaller centers. “Neighborhood centers are hubs of commercial services, activity, and transportation for surrounding neighborhoods. They typically include small parks or plazas that support local activity and gathering,” according to the city. They are scattered throughout Portland.

The next step up is “town centers,” of which there are nine. They include housing for about 7,000 households in a half-mile radius, with buildings up to 5-7 stories. “Each Town Center is a hub of commercial and public services, activity, and transportation for the broad area of the city it serves,” the city explains. “Town Centers include parks or public squares to support their roles as places of focused activity and population. They provide housing capacity within a half-mile radius for enough population to support a full-service neighborhood business district.” Town centers are also scattered throughout the city, although less frequently than neighborhood centers.

Portland has one regional center, the Gateway Regional Center, a major commercial district serving much of the city—especially the eastern half. Finally, downtown Portland serves not just the city, but the entire region.

For Portland, identifying these centers is step towards boosting non-automotive access to services and employment for citizens throughout the city. Strengthening these centers may involve changes in housing or parking policy, or improving infrastructure—especially for walking, biking, and transit. Each center and its surrounding neighborhoods should have a diversity of people and uses to support a 15-minute city.

Editor's note: This article addresses CNU’s Strategic Plan goals of working to change codes and regulations blocking walkable urbanism, to grow the supply of neighborhoods that are both walkable and affordable, and to advance design strategies that help communities adapt to climate change and mitigate its future impact.

no wonder existing housing prices are skyrocketing ALL over the nation.... They soon will be a thing of the past, unless you are some bigtime liberal Billionaire...
If I’m in a 15 minute city, something has gone horribly wrong.
And plenty of Starbucks close by…
It’s not that they want you to drive an electric car,
it’s that they don’t want you driving at all !
Human anthills…..
the biggest urban concern around my area is what to do with empty malls that still have a bunch of stores and restaurants surrounding them.

I would think their solution is going to be turning them into apartments with small shops that service living needs like a dry cleaner, pharmacy and day care center

If I lived in an urban center like mentioned above, I'd want to own a car but only to get me out of the area - I'd want everything I need within walking distance or a short public transportation ride away.

But I really have no desire to live in an urban center
Urban Nirvana is a scheme perpetrated by those seeking money and power.

It will NEVER succeed.

The brokedick world is ALWAYS like parasites at a picnic.

ALWAYS...
Originally Posted by KFWA
the biggest urban concern around my area is what to do with empty malls that still have a bunch of stores and restaurants surrounding them.

I would think their solution is going to be turning them into apartments with small shops that service living needs like a dry cleaner, pharmacy and day care center

If I lived in an urban center like mentioned above, I'd want to own a car but only to get me out of the area - I'd want everything I need within walking distance or a short public transportation ride away.

But I really have no desire to live in an urban center

Of course. They will have to convert all those malls to house 20 million plus illegals. All at taxpayer expense into the forever future.

Osky
I can see something like that being a total magnet for the homeless. No worries about cars jumping the curb and interrupting your morning sidewalk dump……
They have been proposed in the Tucson and Phoenix metropolitan areas. They have merit for those who CHOOSE to live that way and I can see why some people might. Public transportation in most areas is an expensive and inefficient use of taxpayer money. In Tucson the buses are mostly empty and the windows are covered so you can’t see inside. In our town they have short buses running around with one or two people. A taxi service would be cheaper. Public transportation also has a huge carbon footprint for those who care.

My mom lives in a retirement community. She is 95, healthy and her mind is sharp. She quit driving a couple years ago but still keeps her car. Everything she needs is within 30 minutes of her home, including her doctors. She likes it that way.

The problem is, those who want to control everyone know people are more controllable when they are concentrated in small areas and depend on someone else for all their essentials. My concern is the controllers are not open about their end game, Agenda 21. These things are presented and start out voluntary and then become mandatory, think electric vehicles. Yes I am paranoid but that doesn’t mean they aren’t after me!
My closest neighbor in 10 acres away. I'm going to keep it that way
There will have to be an exemption for San Antonio Tx. At 04:30 doing 70mph it takes 45 minutes from one City Limit sign to another not including the urban concentric outer areas.
Sounds like hell, doesn't it?
One way to get the peasant class on the currently empty buses...mandate a remote govt controlled 'kill switch' on new vehicles starting in 2026. Think I'm bs'ing you? See Infrastructure and Jobs Act sect 24220.
I can see lotsa kill switches being activated on voting day in red areas, naw, that's too farfetched.
Where I live, no land can be developed unless you play golf with the the city council.
Going big in Europe, London , Paris etc. and next up Cleveland Ohio 🤣

https://cities-today.com/an-emerging-15-minute-city-in-east-london/
I have been alive for 74 years, and for ten of those years, I lived in a city. For two of those years, I lived a block and a half from where I worked, four blocks from my wife's work, four blocks from the supermarket, four blocks from the kids' schools, three blocks from the Boys and Girls Club, where I taught boxing. We had a car and pickup sitting behind the house and seldom started either one unless we were headed out of town. It was a great way to live.
Then I bought a house in the suburbs and simply threw away ten hours a week; plus adding the stress of dealing with city traffic at each end of the day. I had not appreciated how liberating it was to not have to start each day by getting in the car. It was truly as close to the good life as one could get in the city. I had been close before. I lived a mile out of town and a mile from the sawmill, and was able to walk to work if I chose to. We had to drive to another town for groceries though (three miles).
I think the concept of the fifteen minute city if a great one. Communities should be built to contain everything within walking distance for the residents. Of course, another thing to keep in mind is that the driver for everything is manufacturing or industry and this is what has to be accommodated. The industrial areas should have housing, recreational facilities, health care, and so on, close to the factories and shops. The rest of the city is built to siphon wealth off from the industries and their workers. Retail centers, mandated services, government bureaucracies, etc.
Some of the old Company towns were pretty well thought out. Potlatch, Idaho comes to mind.
Today, I live a long way from town, but my work is right here. The car and pickup generally sit idle for a week at a time. I like my hermit-like existence just fine. If I should ever move to town again, I'll position myself so I can walk everywhere ,and driving or riding will just be recreation. GD
That's been the Democrat's (Communist's) wet dream for years. The want everybody to live in high rise apartments and either walk, ride bicycles or use mass transit. People are much easier to control that way.
Sounds like the large European cities that developed before horseless carriages, i.e. most all of them.

In Berlin one of the first big differences I noticed (besides all the signs being in German) was that outside the downtown central core your basic necessity shops all repeated every few blocks - grocer, butcher, barber/hair stylist, the local Bierhalle, etc. Stores on the street level and apartments from the 2nd floor on up.

The other big difference was the extremely efficient and inexpensive public transportation system which didn't necessitate private transport. Didn't have a car for 2 1/2 years but could get anywhere in the city in no more than a half hour via bus and U-Bahn aka the subway.
Convince the population that they have no need for a car (captive subjects)... Brought to you by the same folks who want to convince you that you would like living in a 320 sq ft shipping container and eating bugs for sustenance...
Originally Posted by victoro
That's been the Democrat's (Communist's) wet dream for years. The want everybody to live in high rise apartments and either walk, ride bicycles or use mass transit. People are much easier to control that way.

And that is why I say it is great for those who CHOOSE to live that way. Different strokes for different folks. My concern is choosing to live that way is not the end game.
I can walk to Walmart, the parts store, and liquor store.

Does that count?
Sounds like a great idea if you’re little enclave was mostly upper middle class and higher and you could keep out the riff raff. I wouldn’t want to do it in the schit stained hell scape of today’s cities.
Again, the economic driver has to be manufacturing or industry. This means people working. We have spent over a half century striving to eliminate productive employment and denigrating the working class. Understanding the importance of a productive working class is the root of a successful economic and societal model. A high rise office building full of advertising execs is not productive industry. The same building full of investment banker is not productive industry, though they can claim some relationship. Fill the same building with engineers, and you are getting close to having a saleable product.
I am no longer a productive member of society. Since I only provide services for tourists. I would be of little value in the 15 minute city.
It is one thing to be ignorant of our effect on the environment in general, it is quite another to be openly antagonistic toward it, just to gratify our wants. Planning cities in ways to counteract urban sprawl and waste is a good thing. Many of us would not want to live in the city, but if that's the case, maybe we shouldn't work there either. GD
Originally Posted by greydog
Again, the economic driver has to be manufacturing or industry. This means people working. We have spent over a half century striving to eliminate productive employment and denigrating the working class. Understanding the importance of a productive working class is the root of a successful economic and societal model. A high rise office building full of advertising execs is not productive industry. The same building full of investment banker is not productive industry, though they can claim some relationship. Fill the same building with engineers, and you are getting close to having a saleable product.
I am no longer a productive member of society. Since I only provide services for tourists. I would be of little value in the 15 minute city.
It is one thing to be ignorant of our effect on the environment in general, it is quite another to be openly antagonistic toward it, just to gratify our wants. Planning cities in ways to counteract urban sprawl and waste is a good thing. Many of us would not want to live in the city, but if that's the case, maybe we shouldn't work there either. GD

These people won't be filling office buildings. They'll be working from home.
“I am no longer a productive member of society”

Think about that statement. As those in control gain more control the efficiency quotient will require non productive people to be removed from society. Concentrating people, cattle, sheep, elk, potatoes or anything else into small areas make them easier to control.
Yes. For those of us paying attention, they've been discussed by the WEF for sometime
Obama goal. Been seeing this since at least 2006!
Obama never tried hiding his goals for America.
Remember!?
"The Constitution is an old, outdated document and needs to be up dated!" - i.e. tossed out and rewritten to make him king/chancellor/chief/imperial leader, etc, etc.
Sioux City had Neiborhood's with everything a family needed. Trolly cars could take them where they needed to go.
Sioux City had Neiborhood's with everything a family needed. Trolly cars could take them where they needed to go.
Fu'ck the 15 min cities, I am out and will never be a part of that
Where in the plan is the space for BLM and Antifa to riot and burn? That is now a part of Portlands lifestyle, what is the 15 minute city doing to accomodate them? In regards to 45 100's remarks about non productive citizens, I was just watching an old Twilite Zone that had Burgess Meredith in it as a Librarian, on trial, and sentenced to Death by the Government for being OBSOLETE. Some of those old episodes were eerily prescient and accurate!
Yes they were
I read all about this when I read agenda 21 years ago. I'm sure it's in agenda 2030 as well. You can already see lots of apartment complexes of 4 to 5 story along the newish commuter rail in Utah. There's one near my inlaws house that has spartments around a movie theater with several fast food joints nearby all next to the rail system. There's not nearly enough parking spots for the apartments and every night cars are parked on both sides of any street within a block of the apartments.

Rexburg Idaho is starting to build lots of 4-5 storey apartments above restaurants near the university with little to no parking nearby. Makes it tough to go to Cafe Rio if you're driving. There's no fire escapes on any of the apartments either but they have sprinkler systems that hopefully work when it's 30 degrees below.

When I went to school there years ago student apartments had to have a parking spot for each bed. Now there's very few parking spots and buildings built right close to 2 lane streets.

Bb
I have noticed several new, multi-story concrete buildings going up around Tucson. They all appear very similar in architecture with just a few small windows. They look like industrial complexes with limited parking as mentioned.
John, you've seen my "stomping grounds" - the 12K population town I live in is about as large as I can stand anymore.
I'm thinking our friend 45-100 feels the same.
We both could be a bit hard to control, I believe. Come down and join us!
We know a couple that lived in Portland, sold their car, then used public transportation
I grew up country living, lived in Wichita, KS for 15 years. Now back where I grew up and I have no desire to live in a 15-minute city. I would rather live in woods.
Originally Posted by 45_100
They have been proposed in the Tucson and Phoenix metropolitan areas. They have merit for those who CHOOSE to live that way and I can see why some people might. Public transportation in most areas is an expensive and inefficient use of taxpayer money. In Tucson the buses are mostly empty and the windows are covered so you can’t see inside. In our town they have short buses running around with one or two people. A taxi service would be cheaper. Public transportation also has a huge carbon footprint for those who care.

My mom lives in a retirement community. She is 95, healthy and her mind is sharp. She quit driving a couple years ago but still keeps her car. Everything she needs is within 30 minutes of her home, including her doctors. She likes it that way.

The problem is, those who want to control everyone know people are more controllable when they are concentrated in small areas and depend on someone else for all their essentials. My concern is the controllers are not open about their end game, Agenda 21. These things are presented and start out voluntary and then become mandatory, think electric vehicles. Yes I am paranoid but that doesn’t mean they aren’t after me!

If you are white, conservative, male and middle class.. they are after us all Mark... we're the 50% plus of the population the Globalists want to get rid of...

Think outside the box.... What is a 15 minute city have as a mission as compared to a concentration camp?

Same thing as soon as they put up the fence.... Just like the NAZIs did in Poland and Warsaw with the Ghettos full of Jews.

This whole concept is nothing new.... they are just putting it in a new box and telling us how convenient it will be for us...
when its really convenient for them instead... all in one place, in a small area that they can do what they want with everyone, who can not do a damn thing about it. We're all guilty by association.
Originally Posted by greydog

You left out one little point tho GreyDog.... How many jobs in this nation were shipped overseas 3 and 4 decades ago...
The convenience are for the people in control of society, not the people forced into the 15 minute cities. You don't think a small area would be easy for a criminal element to control? or that they will be left alone, if they work controlling the neighborhoods providing what the cities politicians want done?

I say again, compare it to the concept in concentration camps. Put all your eggs in one small basket. You have control of your political enemies.
Originally Posted by lee440
Where in the plan is the space for BLM and Antifa to riot and burn? That is now a part of Portlands lifestyle, what is the 15 minute city doing to accomodate them? In regards to 45 100's remarks about non productive citizens, I was just watching an old Twilite Zone that had Burgess Meredith in it as a Librarian, on trial, and sentenced to Death by the Government for being OBSOLETE. Some of those old episodes were eerily prescient and accurate!

think outside of your box for a moment... instead of police controlling these neighborhoods, they will be like parts of Potlandia today... BLM and Antifa control certain neighborhoods already in Potlandia.. with the blessings of the city fathers...
that is how they get away with every thing they do and destroy...

its right in front of peoples eyes, yet they see nothing, because they are programmed to think in other ways.

tell people a lie long enough, or make them believe it long enough, it will become truth....Heck reference Joseph Goebbles in Nazi Germany, Lenin in Soviet Russia, Gaddafi in Libya, Edi Amin in Uganda etc etc etc.

This concept is ALL Communism 101, and NO One hardly identifies it as such....many folks are blind to the obvious, or are just programmed to recognize it when its right in front of them.
Well first of all, the 15 minute concept is nothing new.

And having spent time in places that afforded you to walk everywhere you needed to be I can tell you flat out, that it's a nice way of living. It's the original concept of a city.

San Antonio (as an example) is not a city. It's a giant schit hole sprawled out over hundreds of miles. It's a perfect idea of what putting huge groups of people together should not be.

Second of all, the idea that compressing lots of people into small areas makes them more easily controlled and less dangerous is silly. Those are actually the most dangerous situations you can create. Look at the history behind Hue, Fallujah, and of course Gaza. It is a horrible concept if you're trying to keep tabs on people. Matter of fact this very concept is what gave root to some of America's largest criminal enterprises. Ever.
Originally Posted by deflave

And having spent time in places that afforded you to walk everywhere you needed to be I can tell you flat out, that it's a nice way of living. It's the original concept of a city.

San Antonio (as an example) is not a city. It's a giant schit hole sprawled out over hundreds of miles. It's a perfect idea of what putting huge groups of people together should not be.

Second of all, the idea that compressing lots of people into small areas makes them more easily controlled and less dangerous is silly. Those are actually the most dangerous situations you can create. Look at the history behind Hue, Fallujah, and of course Gaza. It is a horrible concept if you're trying to keep tabs on people. Matter of fact this very concept is what gave root to some of America's largest criminal enterprises. Ever.

Turn in your tinfoil hat, Pard.
Originally Posted by cra1948

Turn in your tinfoil hat, Pard.

I keep it on standby pard.
Originally Posted by mark shubert
John, you've seen my "stomping grounds" - the 12K population town I live in is about as large as I can stand anymore.
I'm thinking our friend 45-100 feels the same.
We both could be a bit hard to control, I believe. Come down and join us!

Mark,

They are planning all of this now, to be pushed out where older folks like us exist now... Remember back in Doctor Zhivago, the movie.. what did the communist party do to their house in the city? Filled it full of people, and saying the house was too big for just one family....confine people into small areas... they are easier to control, with fewer resources.

This is exactly like what is being done all over the entire country. In 10 years how many of us will be gone from this world.. and the ones left aren't going to be able to fight back very much...This has all been planned for over the last 30 years or so... and its just been quietly implemented, from sea to shining sea.... The liberal leftists and the DNCC, have had this planned and are slowly implementing it. They brainwashed our children, and their new world order will be put into place, and the youth of today are already programmed to accept and even desire it... Sheep being lead to Slaughter, and they don't even know it...

If I go anywhere it will back home to Southwestern Virginia, or SE West VA....my home roots... its pretty rural, people are pretty well armed and programmed to defend their home and property...

If the democRATS cheat and gain the White House, Senate and the House in 2024.. It pretty much over for our generations... I come from Generations that have had to fight for their existence since they first got off the boat at Jamestown in 1607... 80% of those folks died in the first two years there... and before another boat arrived... only 20 to 25 of those original settlers survived the first two years at Jamestown. I am a descendent of those 20 to 25 people.. 17 generations later...Standing up is in my blood. Trump getting elected again is our only real hope to even have a fighting chance.
Originally Posted by Seafire
If I go anywhere it will back home to Southwestern Virginia, or SE West VA....my home roots... its pretty rural, people are pretty well armed and programmed to defend their home and property...

You think those areas are going to be easier to remain "free" than the rural western states?
Not really trav.....

I'd be going home to where my roots are from, and have been for 16 generations before me...

I'm descended from the first people that got off the boat at Jamestown in 1607, and 80% died with the first 24 months from Disease and Indians.. I'm a descendent of the 20 to 25 people that survived.

In the potential of just having say 10 years of so of good health, it will be time for me to just go home..

No less or no more complicated than that. You really think we have that much real freedom left in this nation if the democRATS convert us to communism?

Even you wouldn't want to die and be left in Oregon for eternity. smile
Not really trav.....

I'd be going home to where my roots are from, and have been for 16 generations before me...

I'm descended from the first people that got off the boat at Jamestown in 1607, and 80% died with the first 24 months from Disease and Indians.. I'm a descendent of the 20 to 25 people that survived.

In the potential of just having say 10 years of so of good health, it will be time for me to just go home..

No less or no more complicated than that. You really think we have that much real freedom left in this nation if the democRATS convert us to communism?

Even you wouldn't want to die and be left in Oregon for eternity. smile

Which part of Virginia?
It’s a fine idea if the people living there were honest, reasonable, and trustworthy, but let’s face it, a considerable segment of the population just aren’t, and would fugg it up for everyone else. The police can no longer be trusted to keep order or protect us from malefactors, and given the penchant of government, city governments especially, to make it difficult or even illegal for people to protect their own property and even their lives, these places would soon turn into little Portlands, San Franciscos, and Baltimores.

I have everything I need within 15 minutes by car, 20 if you count a place to hunt. A pretty good shooting range is 5 minutes away, if I obey the speed limit. We have a big garden and fruit trees, and decent neighbors about 50 yards away on all four sides. Our yard is planted with a variety of trees and ornamentals and we have fresh flowers available daily from last frost to first. 25 minutes away is my IWLA chapter, with another range, plus clays, and a lake full of fish and visited by all sorts of wildlife. I go to the grocery store every week or two, often on my way home from shooting, hunting, or fishing. Total annual mileage for us is about 5K miles, down from the 35K I drove when I still worked.

Give this life up for the opportunity to play human feces hopscotch every day, and put all the things I like to do miles and miles away? Fugg no!
I agree with everything Seafire has said about the 15 minute cities. Like I said earlier, they are fine as long as people can CHOOSE to live there or not. They work for some people but not all.

The problem is forcing people into them against their will and I am convinced that is the long term plan. Deflave is correct in that it creates a dangerous situation but that fear makes it easier not more difficult to control people. They fear going out of their apartment or cubicle so they stay inside expecting the government to provide for their needs.

Riding or walking through a small pen of bunched up cattle, horses, sheep or whatever is several factors more dangerous than riding through a large area with the same number of animals. Riding in an alleyway packed with livestock has its perils as well. But they are more controllable in small areas. People are no different. Free men have tools of resistance that imprisoned men don’t have.

Imagine the worst, most evil thing government can do. What they have planned is worse than that.
Location and wealth will save no one...

At most it may help make people... "NOT be the low hanging fruit"... for a while.

A city/urban center requires perfect harmony of services, power, water, sewer, PoPo et al.

Perfect Harmony amongst humans... is a fantasy I have not embrace for many years.

You think those areas are going to be easier to remain "free" than the rural western states?
I found quite by accident a beautiful little community in south eastern West Virginia. It is quite isolated from the hustle and bustle of modern life but reasonably close to a major highway and fairly close to Beckley. The name of the place is Odd, and while that is an odd name it is really named Odd. I used the Odd Road as a cut through from Highway 77 and headed east over to Highway 16.

When I got to my lodging that night I did a search on the village of Odd and found out that while it is isolated and has a low population it is indeed a famous place. Real estate there should be affordable and should remain rural.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Human anthills…..
This ^^

No gardens. No way to be self-sufficient. You have to depend on everything working right to survive. It sounds pretty scary to me. Even though I live in a city I have a place to fall back on.

kwg
Originally Posted by 45_100
I agree with everything Seafire has said about the 15 minute cities. Like I said earlier, they are fine as long as people can CHOOSE to live there or not. They work for some people but not all.

The problem is forcing people into them against their will and I am convinced that is the long term plan. Deflave is correct in that it creates a dangerous situation but that fear makes it easier not more difficult to control people. They fear going out of their apartment or cubicle so they stay inside expecting the government to provide for their needs.

Riding or walking through a small pen of bunched up cattle, horses, sheep or whatever is several factors more dangerous than riding through a large area with the same number of animals. Riding in an alleyway packed with livestock has its perils as well. But they are more controllable in small areas. People are no different. Free men have tools of resistance that imprisoned men don’t have.

Imagine the worst, most evil thing government can do. What they have planned is worse than that.

Mark, your analogy to working with livestock is 100% on the money.
Crowded animals are VERY dangerous.
One way to force people to live in rabbit warrens is to make cars unaffordable to purchase or run, or by taxing them by the mile, already being done here and there. Make home, and especially land ownership prohibitively expensive, and you have them by the short and curlies. All in progress. Meanwhile the uber-rich will be scarfing up as much open land as they can, again, well under way. One advantage the East has over the West is that the rural areas are broken up into smaller parcels, so grabbing big, contiguous chunks is more difficult.

These little 15-minute enclaves are much like traditional villages, except there’s no surrounding open lands to allow folks to let off some steam, just more villages and maybe some downtown areas, plus some parks, which like all city parks will be drug-riddled crime zones full of homeless vagrants and gangs.
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I read all about this when I read agenda 21 years ago. I'm sure it's in agenda 2030 as well. You can already see lots of apartment complexes of 4 to 5 story along the newish commuter rail in Utah. There's one near my inlaws house that has spartments around a movie theater with several fast food joints nearby all next to the rail system. There's not nearly enough parking spots for the apartments and every night cars are parked on both sides of any street within a block of the apartments.

Rexburg Idaho is starting to build lots of 4-5 storey apartments above restaurants near the university with little to no parking nearby. Makes it tough to go to Cafe Rio if you're driving. There's no fire escapes on any of the apartments either but they have sprinkler systems that hopefully work when it's 30 degrees below.

When I went to school there years ago student apartments had to have a parking spot for each bed. Now there's very few parking spots and buildings built right close to 2 lane streets.

Bb

I saw those when I was down there couple months ago. My bud took me to a pizza joint that was in one of them. Great concept for 18-late 20yr olds.
I guess that means the mass shoplifter gangs will have shorter distances to run.
Which part of Virginia?

West of Roanoke, Christansburg , Blacksburg up over into Between Bluefield and Beckley WVA...

Yeah Real hillbilly country, and not always the brightest crayons in the box or tools in the shed.

I am descended from the first people who settled in that part of Virginia, which later became West Virginia.
First Community was Lillydale, settled in there before the French and Indian War.

The Lilly Family Reunion is held on a former farm that was donated for the family reunion by Family member was passed in about 1950

That Reunion has made the Guinness World Book of Records 6 times since 1990, and the largest family reunion held in either the USA or the world...Started by my Great Grandfather and his brothers in 1929.
Originally Posted by Hastings

I found quite by accident a beautiful little community in south eastern West Virginia. It is quite isolated from the hustle and bustle of modern life but reasonably close to a major highway and fairly close to Beckley. The name of the place is Odd, and while that is an odd name it is really named Odd. I used the Odd Road as a cut through from Highway 77 and headed east over to Highway 16.

When I got to my lodging that night I did a search on the village of Odd and found out that while it is isolated and has a low population it is indeed a famous place. Real estate there should be affordable and should remain rural.

Well Hastings... that is exactly the place where the Lilly family Reunion is held. I have many ancestors buried right in that area, that have been in that area since the very early 1700s. Lillys and Meadows as last names... the Meadows got off at Jamestown in 1607, and there some of the few to survive the first two years, when 80% of them died.

Take a right turn off I-77, go about 400 yds and you hit old US 19 south. Turn right, go about 500 yds, take a left turn going south bound.. there is a church right there on a curve, across the road is the Family Reunion Farm... out front is a grave stone....Robert Lilly and Francis Moody.. They are patriarchs of the family Reunion.. It was started by my Great GrandFather and his brothers in 1929.

Talk about tough Genes....As posted on their Grave Stone there in Odd, WVa, in front of the farm the family Reunion is held at each year.... Both Robert and Francis were born in 1696, and were together and moved into Western Virginia at the time in the Early 1700s. As posted on their grave stone...Francis died in 1806, and Robert died in 1810.. she was a 110 at the time of her death and Robert was 114 at the time of his.

You were probably thinking Hastings of US Hwy 19, instead of a Hwy 16. But Hwy 16 just goes a little further west.
https://alavigne.net/Motorsports/ImageGallery/2008/10-AppalachianRoadTrip/?p=wv16-va16.. plenty of good pictures on that site....

South of Odd on old Hwy US 19, you come across a very small bridge, with just a creek under it...It is named Hank Williams Bridge.. its so small you have to look for it... but it was at that little Bridge, the kid driving Hanks car, stopped and Realized Hank Williams had passed away.... He was taken to the hospital there in Beckley. I 77 replaced old US 19 as the main road southbound. US 19 starts up in NY State and ends just across the Kentucky line...

https://www.facebook.com/p/Southern-WV-Lilly-Family-Reunion-100077092251805/
Which part of Virginia?

West of Roanoke, Christansburg , Blacksburg up over into Between Bluefield and Beckley WVA...

Yeah Real hillbilly country, and not always the brightest crayons in the box or tools in the shed.

I am descended from the first people who settled in that part of Virginia, which later became West Virginia.
First Community was Lillydale, settled in there before the French and Indian War.

The Lilly Family Reunion is held on a former farm that was donated for the family reunion by Family member was passed in about 1950

That Reunion has made the Guinness World Book of Records 6 times since 1990, and the largest family reunion held in either the USA or the world...Started by my Great Grandfather and his brothers in 1929.

Those are really nice areas.

Which part of Oregon are you in?
Originally Posted by Hastings

Home of The Whittaker Family

ruff ruff Ray
I’m all for it in the right circumstances …. Don’t want to live in one myself but urban sprawl is a major killer of prime AG land here. The standard sub division of 1/4 ac lots where everyone has a front and backyard takes 1000’s of acres out of AG production every year…. Adds to wasted water, commute times, pollution, etc.

Cities need to build up not out….. Thankfully our county BOD put in place a requirement that any land converted from AG zoning to residential or commercial requires that the owner puts twice as much land in a AG lands trust that will preserve it (at least until some new politicians that own such land find a way to break it) 🥴
Being close to highways and major thoroughfares is NOT a benefit when times get sporty.

A lot of urban planners around here are using the self-contained “village” type concept instead of the dumbass sprawling strip malls spread out over 5 miles of concrete city, pavement and stoplights. Cities and the cancerous sprawl that eats away at our green spaces are the death of empires. Give me wide open spaces, mountains and oceans with the people capable of surviving “alone” there.

Trav,

I'm in the Rogue Valley, about a mile off of I 5, in the northern part of the Rogue Valley...
30 miles north of the CA State Line, but 60 miles as the Freeway runs...

in Josephine County.. The area is beautiful, but too many of the locals leave a lot to be desired...
Ya take the good with the bad...

Trav,

I'm in the Rogue Valley, about a mile off of I 5, in the northern part of the Rogue Valley...

in Josephine County.. The area is beautiful, but too many of the locals leave a lot to be desired...

Gotcha.

I have spent some time around Winchester, VA. It is surprisingly nice.
…and you, Comrade Jones, you will live there. And comrade Smith, you will live there. Comrade Davis, you will live over there…
If you don't know what a 15-minute City is then you need to get out more...
You know why they call it a 15 min city? Because that sound much better than concentration camp.
A problem with all these 15 minute city designs is that the planners left out the rifle range.

smile

Bruce

Trav,

Gotcha.

I have spent some time around Winchester, VA. It is surprisingly nice.

My half sister lived up there.. I have relatives up and down the Shenandoah Valley. My younger years we use to skip out of school for the day and go up and hang out at Harper's Ferry WVa, just to the north of Winchester.

There are a lot of great places in Virginia.. much moreso when I was growing up...

population is like 4 times what it was when I was in high school.. Graduated High School in Fairfax County, West Springfield.
just a couple exits north of Ft Belvoir and Quantico, off I 95.
© 24hourcampfire