Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just became aware of this concept this evening, listening to a radio program on locally, but out of Potlandia...

Evidently they are being built all over the place, with no one really bringing attention to them, but I sure see what they are described as being built all over Portland.. and have been for a decade or more.... .and now Eugene ( think U of O. ) is looking at making a study, of turning Eugene into the same thing....Its for the environment Dude!:

Hierarchy of centers for the 15-minute city
ROBERT STEUTEVILLE JUL. 28, 2023
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn MailTo
I recently spoke on a panel discussing the 15-minute city, and the cool graphic above was presented showing a hierarchy of mixed-use centers throughout the City of Portland, Oregon. This kind of analysis would help many cities plan to achieve an urban environment where owning an automobile is optional—or at least car-light living is possible.

To achieve a 15-minute city, you not only need safe and interesting places to walk, but you also need useful destinations. That's where mixed-use centers come in. As the map above shows, there are 32 urban centers in Portland, but they are not all the same. Twenty-one are “neighborhood centers,” which can be defined as a small main street. Each neighborhood center contains about 2,500 households within a half-mile radius (a 10-minute walk from edge to center).

Buildings may be up to four stories tall—but are often one to three stories—in these smaller centers. “Neighborhood centers are hubs of commercial services, activity, and transportation for surrounding neighborhoods. They typically include small parks or plazas that support local activity and gathering,” according to the city. They are scattered throughout Portland.

The next step up is “town centers,” of which there are nine. They include housing for about 7,000 households in a half-mile radius, with buildings up to 5-7 stories. “Each Town Center is a hub of commercial and public services, activity, and transportation for the broad area of the city it serves,” the city explains. “Town Centers include parks or public squares to support their roles as places of focused activity and population. They provide housing capacity within a half-mile radius for enough population to support a full-service neighborhood business district.” Town centers are also scattered throughout the city, although less frequently than neighborhood centers.

Portland has one regional center, the Gateway Regional Center, a major commercial district serving much of the city—especially the eastern half. Finally, downtown Portland serves not just the city, but the entire region.

For Portland, identifying these centers is step towards boosting non-automotive access to services and employment for citizens throughout the city. Strengthening these centers may involve changes in housing or parking policy, or improving infrastructure—especially for walking, biking, and transit. Each center and its surrounding neighborhoods should have a diversity of people and uses to support a 15-minute city.

Editor's note: This article addresses CNU’s Strategic Plan goals of working to change codes and regulations blocking walkable urbanism, to grow the supply of neighborhoods that are both walkable and affordable, and to advance design strategies that help communities adapt to climate change and mitigate its future impact.

no wonder existing housing prices are skyrocketing ALL over the nation.... They soon will be a thing of the past, unless you are some bigtime liberal Billionaire...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If I’m in a 15 minute city, something has gone horribly wrong.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
And plenty of Starbucks close by…

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
It’s not that they want you to drive an electric car,
it’s that they don’t want you driving at all !

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Human anthills…..

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the biggest urban concern around my area is what to do with empty malls that still have a bunch of stores and restaurants surrounding them.

I would think their solution is going to be turning them into apartments with small shops that service living needs like a dry cleaner, pharmacy and day care center

If I lived in an urban center like mentioned above, I'd want to own a car but only to get me out of the area - I'd want everything I need within walking distance or a short public transportation ride away.

But I really have no desire to live in an urban center

Last edited by KFWA; 11/10/23.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Urban Nirvana is a scheme perpetrated by those seeking money and power.

It will NEVER succeed.

The brokedick world is ALWAYS like parasites at a picnic.

ALWAYS...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by KFWA
the biggest urban concern around my area is what to do with empty malls that still have a bunch of stores and restaurants surrounding them.

I would think their solution is going to be turning them into apartments with small shops that service living needs like a dry cleaner, pharmacy and day care center

If I lived in an urban center like mentioned above, I'd want to own a car but only to get me out of the area - I'd want everything I need within walking distance or a short public transportation ride away.

But I really have no desire to live in an urban center

Of course. They will have to convert all those malls to house 20 million plus illegals. All at taxpayer expense into the forever future.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can see something like that being a total magnet for the homeless. No worries about cars jumping the curb and interrupting your morning sidewalk dump……

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They have been proposed in the Tucson and Phoenix metropolitan areas. They have merit for those who CHOOSE to live that way and I can see why some people might. Public transportation in most areas is an expensive and inefficient use of taxpayer money. In Tucson the buses are mostly empty and the windows are covered so you can’t see inside. In our town they have short buses running around with one or two people. A taxi service would be cheaper. Public transportation also has a huge carbon footprint for those who care.

My mom lives in a retirement community. She is 95, healthy and her mind is sharp. She quit driving a couple years ago but still keeps her car. Everything she needs is within 30 minutes of her home, including her doctors. She likes it that way.

The problem is, those who want to control everyone know people are more controllable when they are concentrated in small areas and depend on someone else for all their essentials. My concern is the controllers are not open about their end game, Agenda 21. These things are presented and start out voluntary and then become mandatory, think electric vehicles. Yes I am paranoid but that doesn’t mean they aren’t after me!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My closest neighbor in 10 acres away. I'm going to keep it that way

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There will have to be an exemption for San Antonio Tx. At 04:30 doing 70mph it takes 45 minutes from one City Limit sign to another not including the urban concentric outer areas.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 11/10/23.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sounds like hell, doesn't it?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
One way to get the peasant class on the currently empty buses...mandate a remote govt controlled 'kill switch' on new vehicles starting in 2026. Think I'm bs'ing you? See Infrastructure and Jobs Act sect 24220.
I can see lotsa kill switches being activated on voting day in red areas, naw, that's too farfetched.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where I live, no land can be developed unless you play golf with the the city council.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Going big in Europe, London , Paris etc. and next up Cleveland Ohio 🤣

https://cities-today.com/an-emerging-15-minute-city-in-east-london/

Swifty
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have been alive for 74 years, and for ten of those years, I lived in a city. For two of those years, I lived a block and a half from where I worked, four blocks from my wife's work, four blocks from the supermarket, four blocks from the kids' schools, three blocks from the Boys and Girls Club, where I taught boxing. We had a car and pickup sitting behind the house and seldom started either one unless we were headed out of town. It was a great way to live.
Then I bought a house in the suburbs and simply threw away ten hours a week; plus adding the stress of dealing with city traffic at each end of the day. I had not appreciated how liberating it was to not have to start each day by getting in the car. It was truly as close to the good life as one could get in the city. I had been close before. I lived a mile out of town and a mile from the sawmill, and was able to walk to work if I chose to. We had to drive to another town for groceries though (three miles).
I think the concept of the fifteen minute city if a great one. Communities should be built to contain everything within walking distance for the residents. Of course, another thing to keep in mind is that the driver for everything is manufacturing or industry and this is what has to be accommodated. The industrial areas should have housing, recreational facilities, health care, and so on, close to the factories and shops. The rest of the city is built to siphon wealth off from the industries and their workers. Retail centers, mandated services, government bureaucracies, etc.
Some of the old Company towns were pretty well thought out. Potlatch, Idaho comes to mind.
Today, I live a long way from town, but my work is right here. The car and pickup generally sit idle for a week at a time. I like my hermit-like existence just fine. If I should ever move to town again, I'll position myself so I can walk everywhere ,and driving or riding will just be recreation. GD

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
That's been the Democrat's (Communist's) wet dream for years. The want everybody to live in high rise apartments and either walk, ride bicycles or use mass transit. People are much easier to control that way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like the large European cities that developed before horseless carriages, i.e. most all of them.

In Berlin one of the first big differences I noticed (besides all the signs being in German) was that outside the downtown central core your basic necessity shops all repeated every few blocks - grocer, butcher, barber/hair stylist, the local Bierhalle, etc. Stores on the street level and apartments from the 2nd floor on up.

The other big difference was the extremely efficient and inexpensive public transportation system which didn't necessitate private transport. Didn't have a car for 2 1/2 years but could get anywhere in the city in no more than a half hour via bus and U-Bahn aka the subway.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Convince the population that they have no need for a car (captive subjects)... Brought to you by the same folks who want to convince you that you would like living in a 320 sq ft shipping container and eating bugs for sustenance...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (badwolf, BDR1, batch, BB3, 11 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,056
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.