Home
Posted By: BOBBALEE Oat farmer - 03/19/24
Anyone here know one or grown a crop themselves?

The reason I ask is the use of glyphosate. A Dr Grundy says that oats and wheat are sprayed before harvest to kill the plants making it easier to harvest. Thus all our USA grains are unhealthy.

Anyone know if it is true?
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Oat farmer - 03/19/24
Grew it as a nurse crop yrs ago cut it for hay
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
That's not the same. I'm just curious as to the good Dr's information being true or not.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
Lots of winter wheat here. They do spray it shortly before harvesting. I do not believe it is glyphosate however.
Posted By: Potsy Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
I’ve been away from commercial agronomy for 20 years or so, but, no, I don’t think that’s how it works.
All of the wheat I’ve ever been around was allowed to ripen on its own.
“Roundup Ready” (gmo) crops are sprayed with glyphosphate after they emerge from the ground and are relatively young. They’re immune to glyphosphate while it kills weeds.

They used to use lots of other bad chemicals to do that. Everyone bitched about those too.

Someone who has actually row cropped in the last 25 years correct me if I’m wrong.
Posted By: RHClark Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
Yes, it is used in a percentage of US grain crops. It's used as a discant, if that's the word, to help dry the grains faster. Last time I checked it was used on 20 something percent of US wheat. Don't know the oat percentages. I bet you can google it up.
Thanks Potsy. The Dr says it's bad for gut health and damages mitochondrial function. Seems like whole grains and healthy diet may not go together.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
No. Glyphosate is not commonly used as a preharvest burn down.
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
Of all the harvesting I’ve ever done (wheat, dry peas, corn, oats, barley, etc.), only one crop was ever sprayed prior to cutting.

That was alfalfa seed. The plant had to be killed, or it would choke up the combine. A combination of diesel and dinitro would be sprayed about a week before harvest.

The Dr. is full of baloney, I think. Spraying wheat before cutting?? 🤪
It was used on 33% of wheat in 2013.

https://wheatworld.org/press/the-facts-about-glyphosate-part-1-how-do-wheat-growers-use-glyphosate/
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
We bale our oats, any spray would kill the alfalfa
That's a good link. Thanks.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
Originally Posted by RHClark
Yes, it is used in a percentage of US grain crops. It's used as a discant, if that's the word, to help dry the grains faster. Last time I checked it was used on 20 something percent of US wheat. Don't know the oat percentages. I bet you can google it up.

Absolutely.

It's not the normal practice.
Normally the crop would ripen and weeds wouldn't be a problem.

When they need to hasten the process, or weeds are bad enough to be an issue in the combine, the "Dessicate" it. That's a less disturbing way of saying they spar it with plant killing chemicals.

And harvest just as soon after spraying as possible.

Our current farm practices are based on high yield, low cost, low margins.
It's the system farmers need to work in, or around.

I'm bound to piss some off. Maybe they operate outside the system,
I know Jim is trying hard to be different.

Most agriculture is producing the biggest, cheapest, crop possible.
Health of consumers is not in the top considerations
Posted By: VernAK Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
A barley farmer friend here does it to get harvest done prior to early snows in September.

Much of is used in a vodka distillery and the product is sold in anchorage to add to their problems.

The sand hill cranes eat it and I shoot the cranes and trade the breast for PWS fish fillets.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
I've got oats about 2 in tall right now. but I won't spray them I don't know if it would do harm or not but what little grass is in them ain't going to hurt cuz I'm bailing them for green silage anyway..
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
No Jim is correct or at least correct for Illinois and Iowa. Have only used Gly one time and that was because the weeds so bad had to recommended something
Roundup contrary to popular belief is fairly safe to use and consumption is about as dangerous as covid. Now Paraguat that’s a different answer
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
No. Glyphosate is not commonly used as a preharvest burn down.
This ^^

If it's roundup ready oats It's sprayed early after the oats have started growing. Oats are only good if they are heavy enough for someone to buy them for pressing. If you have a dry year, the oats are only good enough for cattle and pig feed. In a good year and there was good rains and the oats are heavy they can get sold for human consumption. The round up has long since dissipated. Once roundup gets down in the soil it's neutralized. I assume it's still made like in years passed, you can actually grow non roundup ready crops in the same plot the following year with no affects.

IN my youth, there were no roundup ready crops and it was only used as a weed killer before planting. After spraying roundup you had to wait 10 days or so until the stuff neutralized and then you tilled the ground. Roundup ready crops have changed that process to spraying after the desired crops have emerged.

kwg
Originally Posted by IA_fog
No Jim is correct or at least correct for Illinois and Iowa. Have only used Gly one time and that was because the weeds so bad had to recommended something
Roundup contrary to popular belief is fairly safe to use and consumption is about as dangerous as covid. Now Paraguat that’s a different answer

They use the crap out of paraquat on legumes.

Field peas and lentils and chickpeas.

They say they can't find any traces of it when applied at the right time....but we don't use it.

Scares the hell out of me.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
I've always wondered how that works regarding food safety.
They say they can't detect it.

We don't trust it...so we always swath and pick them up when weedy.

To the OP....see if you can find organic oats.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
Think of it this way. Farming is a business, you don’t use expensive inputs unless you make money by doing so. I worked with wheat in eastern Colorado and western Nebraska and Kansas for a number of years. Dryland wheat might yield 45 bushels in a great year. The cost to buy and apply glyphosate was around 15 bucks an acre. This will eliminate profit in most cases. Bottom line, it won’t get used.
Posted By: Flashdog Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24

They say they can't find any traces of it when applied at the right time....but we don't use it.

You’re smart to be scared, Jim. Years ago I recall an Atlanta nursery owner was exposed to it. He wound up with a lung transplant. Died anyway.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
Been out of oat crops for 30 years; gramps and uncle had it all over the place in rotation but never any Roundup ready.

The kids (me) pulled the weeds, all of them, including thistles which got the spade.
Really don't remember weeds missed not getting choked out by oats.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
I have never seen folks around here spray them because they ripen themselves.

If one is spraying they have money to waste.

I believe that the chemicals are done in by the great ball in the sky.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
There is a lot of soft red winter wheat grown here, because most farmers are in a rotation of the three crops in two years farming practice. Corn is harvested in the fall, then wheat is planted, and it is harvested the following June, and then soybeans are planted into the wheat stubble. In my fifty something years of seeing this done, I've never known of anyone spraying the wheat to dry it down before harvest. I did see soybeans sprayed with Paraquat a few times way back in the 1970 and 80's time frame.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
The Dr. is full of baloney, I think. Spraying wheat before cutting?? 🤪

The Dr. also says you shouldn't eat oatmeal because oats contain lectins.

Cooking oats in water destroys lectins.

But the Dr. makes a lot of money selling books.
Thanks for the replies. I have never farmed, so appreciate your sharing your knowledge.

When a heart surgeon says things you have a tendency to believe him, but I tend to question experts since I've caught a few lying. Dr Gundry has books and products for sale. YouTube channel also.

About paraquat. Decades ago the DEA used it on the merrywanna down in Mexico. Bunch of Americans had lung problems from it. That may be when the DEA/gov decided to join the party rather than oppose it.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24

Me too. I retired from USDA eight years ago. The county I started work in had a man die quickly from ingestion of Paraquat. The owner of a farm had a little bit of Paraquat left over and poured the excess into an empty Coke bottle before disposing of the original container for some crazy reason. One of his workers saw the bottle and took a swig, immediately spitting it out and rinsing his mouth out. Too late…the mouth, being a mucus membrane, absorbed some of it and he was dead in a few hours. Knew the farmer well. No idea why he transferred the liquid to a stupid coke bottle.
Posted By: Slope77 Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
ND is big spring wheat country. You don’t see oats planted here much anymore - the economics aren’t so great when the price is 1/2 or less of wheat. When I was a kid, dad would often plant a bit every year to feed to our own cattle.

I am not aware of Round-up Ready wheat of oats. The typical use is to spray fields with Round-up prior to planting. It kills everything. Then you plant wheat or whatever crop into a “clean” field. By the time the crop emerges, the Round-up has broken down or last its efficacy, otherwise it would kill the wheat or oats or whatever. I don’t think I have ever heard of going back and spraying a small grains crop like wheat or oats to kill it prior to harvest.

I have heard of it used on others, perhaps canola or soybeans, to kill them and dry them down. That usually isn’t an issue with the grass-type crops.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
I remember flax in Minnesota, it looked waves on a lake when it was in bloom.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
I eat oatmeal for breakfast, it claims to be organic, so hopefully no chemicals are sprayed on it.

Round up is some nasty stuff, I wish it had never been invented.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I eat oatmeal for breakfast, it claims to be organic, so hopefully no chemicals are sprayed on it.

Compared to a lot of chemicals, Roundup (glysophate) is rather mild.
It's always been my understanding that glyphosate is destroyed by sunlight. But using it to kill a plant in order to harvest befuddled me. Some agriculture chemicals, i.e. pesticides, are systemic. They work by being taken up by the plants making them toxic to pests. And you.
Diazanon was meant to be applied to a crop and after a week or so would be gone. But using it to drench fire ants caused it to be in ground water. Now it's banned. Don't know if farmers can get it or not.
When used correctly most of the AG chemicals are safe. It's the people who don't read the label who are the problem.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Me too. I retired from USDA eight years ago. The county I started work in had a man die quickly from ingestion of Paraquat. The owner of a farm had a little bit of Paraquat left over and poured the excess into an empty Coke bottle before disposing of the original container for some crazy reason. One of his workers saw the bottle and took a swig, immediately spitting it out and rinsing his mouth out. Too late…the mouth, being a mucus membrane, absorbed some of it and he was dead in a few hours. Knew the farmer well. No idea why he transferred the liquid to a stupid coke bottle.

That’s just what lifetime farmers do, never throw away anything that might be of value.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
Originally Posted by muleshoe

That’s just what lifetime farmers do, never throw away anything that might be of value.

Or why someone would just pick up a bottle and drink out of it when they don't really know what is in it.

kwg
Posted By: milespatton Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
[quote]Roundup contrary to popular belief is fairly safe to use and consumption is about as dangerous as covid./quote]
This hazard was decided by a California Jury. Then the lawyers ran with it. If it was what you hear on TV, there would be nobody in Arkansas without the cancers attributed to Roundup, the only glyphosate brand mentioned in the lawyer ads. miles
[quote]Round up is some nasty stuff, I wish it had never been invented.
/quote]
Bull scat. I have been around it since it"s invention. It is common for the wind to blow it back on you when spraying, and also getting your hands soaked while cleaning sprayer nozzles. Usually you are without a place to wash off. You might have a rag to dry off a little. I am 76 years old, a lot of friends a neighbors, and my self has done this for years without any cancers related to roundup. I repeat from another post of mine in this thread, Decided by a California JURY.
My father-in-law said the same thing about asbestos. He worked around it all his life and he was fine into his seventies.

Then he died from a very aggressive form of lung cancer.

I'm not saying roundup will kill you, just that a sample of a few means not very much.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
Agent Orange Cheerios…mmm good 😂🤣😂🤣
As testing gets better, they are able to find smaller and smaller traces of things.

Some of that schit has always been there....probably not glyphosate....but I wouldn't be surprised if you could find traces of glyphosate in organic crops.
[quote]My father-in-law said the same thing about asbestos. He worked around it all his life and he was fine into his seventies.

I'm not saying roundup will kill you, just that a sample of a few means not very much.

/quote]
I read the obituaries in the Little Rock paper every morning. Most of the people in it are younger than me.I have a good friend, since we were five years old, Life long farmer, probably used more roundup, than you and everybody that you know, added together. I have a lot of friends like that, since I live in a farming community. All alive, cancer free. Talk about something that you know about. miles
Posted By: victoro Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
Thanks Potsy. The Dr says it's bad for gut health and damages mitochondrial function. Seems like whole grains and healthy diet may not go together.

Anything that will kill an insect or a plant can't be good for humans. Systemic poison was used on citrus fruits but I don't know if it's still used. Instead of spraying the trees they applied it to the ground around the the trees. When insects ate the poisoned leaves it killed them quickly before they could do much damage. This same poison was in the fruit but not enough to kill a human quickly (we're too big).
Originally Posted by victoro

Anything that will kill an insect or a plant can't be good for humans. Systemic poison was used on citrus fruits but I don't know if it's still used. Instead of spraying the trees they applied it to the ground around the the trees. When insects ate the poisoned leaves it killed them quickly before they could do much damage. This same poison was in the fruit but not enough to kill a human quickly (we're too big).

We have pretty much contaminated every crop and food source that consumes those crops. Traces of arsenic can still be detected in rice that is farmed where cotton was treated with arsenic in civile war times. I do not believe that glyphosate becomes completely harmless in a short amount of time or is safe applied anywhere close to a food crop.
Originally Posted by milespatton
[quote]My father-in-law said the same thing about asbestos. He worked around it all his life and he was fine into his seventies.

/quote]
I read the obituaries in the Little Rock paper every morning. Most of the people in it are younger than me.I have a good friend, since we were five years old, Life long farmer, probably used more roundup, than you and everybody that you know, added together. I have a lot of friends like that, since I live in a farming community. All alive, cancer free. Talk about something that you know about. miles

My spray pilot buddy fought his ass off to beat cancer.

He didn't win.

We have pretty much contaminated every crop and food source that consumes those crops. Traces of arsenic can still be detected in rice that is farmed where cotton was treated with arsenic in civile war times. I do not believe that glyphosate becomes completely harmless in a short amount of time or is safe applied anywhere close to a food crop.

Arsenic being a very very common component of the earths crust.

If you look hard enough...you will find it everywhere.

That doesn't mean it's good for consumption. Lots of stuff found everywhere in the earth you shouldn't eat. LOL. Everything "organic" ain't good for you.
Diazinon is an organo-phosphate. It's not a food.

The label will tell you if a product can be used on food crops. But you have to read it.

Round Up was originally glyphosate. Now, from what I'm told, they have different formulations with added ingredients. You have to check the label.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24

Um, no.

There might be an occasion here or there that a crop is late and they want to speed up the drying. But, here's the deal. Glyphosphate is absorbed through leaves. If a farmer were to be trying to speed up harvesting, the plant would most likely be in the dough stage at the least. Meaning the grain kernels are filled and the only thing that is changing, is they are drying out. They are no longer taking anything up/in. The article later posted here stated the majority of preharvest spry is to kill weeds and after the wheat plant is completely dead. So no take up into the grain.

when I worked for MSU, the best weed scientist I ever knew stated plainly, that you could drink a cup of roundup and your body would excrete it entirely with no metabolism of it at all. IOW, it would pass right through. Now, I haven't kept up on the recent studies and wouldn't say that long-term exposure couldn't be bad for you. But unless you are a farmer spraying the stuff all the time, glyphosphate shouldn't be a concern.
Thanks Tarkio

I fully understand this, but pilots spray lots of chemicals, not only roundup. Lots of them need more protection, and careful handling. Don't lump all farm chemicals into into one hate. miles

Not for preharvest burn down.

That article stated the preharvest use of roundup was used on 3% of wheat acres.

And in general, it is used after the wheat plant has shut-down/died. It is used to kill any weeds that are green and would affect harvest.

Not quite.

You need to understand that some of these agents are very specific to the unique pathways of a particular plant or animal.

Your generic statement is reslly pretty shallow. Think about it, water can kill most all mammals, right? Yet, can mammals exist without water?

Chocolate kills dogs. But does it kill you and me?

Phenylketoneurics can't drink diet soda. It will kill them fairly quickly. Because their bodies can't metabolize phenlylalanine (from memory so forgive me if I got that a little wrong)
I'll add to what Miles said. There is a lot of evidence of it being safe if properly used. A jury of illiterates can't really make an informed opinion on chemistry.

A thing Dr Gundry has said is that European pasta is healthier because they banned the glyphosate use.

Arguing such things is a long dark tunnel with lots of turns.

I fully understand this, but pilots spray lots of chemicals, not only roundup. Lots of them need more protection, and careful handling. Don't lump all farm chemicals into into one hate. miles

One hate?

What are you talking about?

Glyphosate is not harmless.
I'll add to what Miles said. There is a lot of evidence of it being safe if properly used. A jury of illiterates can't really make an informed opinion on chemistry.

A thing Dr Gundry has said is that European pasta is healthier because they banned the glyphosate use.

Arguing such things is a long dark tunnel with lots of turns.

Who is this "dr"?

Glyphosate is not banned in Europe.
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Um, no.

There might be an occasion here or there that a crop is late and they want to speed up the drying. But, here's the deal. Glyphosphate is absorbed through leaves. If a farmer were to be trying to speed up harvesting, the plant would most likely be in the dough stage at the least. Meaning the grain kernels are filled and the only thing that is changing, is they are drying out. They are no longer taking anything up/in. The article later posted here stated the majority of preharvest spry is to kill weeds and after the wheat plant is completely dead. So no take up into the grain.

when I worked for MSU, the best weed scientist I ever knew stated plainly, that you could drink a cup of roundup and your body would excrete it entirely with no metabolism of it at all. IOW, it would pass right through. Now, I haven't kept up on the recent studies and wouldn't say that long-term exposure couldn't be bad for you. But unless you are a farmer spraying the stuff all the time, glyphosphate shouldn't be a concern.

They said the exact same thing about Malathion too. Dad even saw a "salesman" drink a glass.

That doesn't mean it's good for consumption. Lots of stuff found everywhere in the earth you shouldn't eat. LOL. Everything "organic" ain't good for you.

Alright.
Lol apparently.

There is arsenic in every you eat.....so stop eating. Problem solved.
That fugging guy!

Yeah...naw.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
Jim;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope all is well with you and your fine family thus far.

When we were still farming which is 40 plus years ago now, we'd swath everything and it'd dry there before we could combine it.

Somewhere along the way either through crop manipulation or chemicals, I don't believe most of the crops get swathed up there anymore.

Next time I chat with my nephew who is still managing my brother's place, I'll ask him.

I want to say my brother had told me years back they killed the crop with something in order to straight combine, but I can't recall what that was anymore Jim.

The fruit industry out here is really chemical heavy too in order to snuff the bugs and worms.

Again it might be better now, but 35 years back the orchards that I was involved with were dead zones by fall, as in no birds even Jim.

When we were looking for a rural property around that time, we took pains to not be near an orchard as we didn't want our kids exposed to that stuff.

But yes sir, you are wise to approach most chemicals like a 3 toed coyote who finds a nice juicy steak lying in the middle of the trail.

In my family, of the other 2 couples we farmed with, my brother, his wife, a cousin and his wife, 2 are dead from cancer and one is still in treatment.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence....

All the best.

Dwayne
Right on Dwayne!

You and I and our health and wellness are just metrics in a cost/benefit analysis for the FDA, EPA, USDA and Industrial Food.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24

Thank you RHClark I couldn't agree more.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
Right on Dwayne!

You and I and our health and wellness are just metrics in a cost/benefit analysis for the FDA, EPA, USDA and Industrial Food.

Jim;
Thanks for the reply.

When I got into cabinet making there were a whole lot of chemicals in the finishes as well, so it'll be a minor miracle if some of that lifetime exposure doesn't assist me to shuffle off this mortal coil in a more expedient fashion.

What I have come to believe - unfortunately too Jim - is that the infinitesimally minute size of the crap that they - the government and many/most big business - do not give about me and you, is difficult to grasp.

Less than zero truly Jim.

That said, we can perhaps educate others and as always take steps to make it better for our kids and grandkids hopefully.

That's a decent goal in my view.

Best to you all Jim.

Dwayne
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
Right on Dwayne!

shocked shocked shocked

Alright.
Lol apparently.

There is arsenic in every you eat.....so stop eating. Problem solved.

I think there's a more sensible approach than just saying everything is poisonous and not giving a damn about what you eat, or on the other hand being afraid to eat anything because of possible contamination. If one rice has many times the amount of arsenic as another because of where it was grown, it should be an easy decision which one to eat.
Regarding "farmers" that have used pesticides/herbicides for decades and are cancer free.................

Yeah, I've known folks that smoked or chewed tobacco for many decades and didn't get cancer either. Then again, I've known folks like a friend who was in his mid 30's that had a big chunk of his jaw removed, right at the spot he kept his dip, and folks in their 50's with lung cancer from smoking (OK, maybe it was from the formaldehyde in their furniture coverings, or wall insulation)

I'm a double survivor, skin cancer most likely from abundant sun exposure (multiple blistering sunburns when I was young) and renal cell carcinoma from who the hell knows. Was it from exposure to pesticides as a kid? I mean they sprayed friggen DDT over neighborhoods, every household I knew of had shaker cans of diazinon and other pesticides on shelves in the garage and they were used everywhere a bug popped up, especially on garden crops. Folks kept them around for years, because "I'll be damned if I'm going to let the government take away something that works. It hasn't killed me yet". Maybe my kidney cancer was from cleaning car parts in gasoline or diesel, in a galvanize pan, with a wire brush and getting all that used oil and solvent on my skin.? Maybe it came from the creek that ran in front of our house that drained our neighborhood and those upstream, some of which had leaky septic systems and some of which had very convenient storm drains in which anything anyone didn't want to deal with went right in the drain? Maybe it came from breathing leaded gas exhaust fumes and playing with pewter "army men"? 20 years of drinking and smoking tobacco? Maybe I go ahold of some paraquat sprayed weed when I was a kid? Too much chlorinated water when I lived in the burbs?

I no longer care where it came from, but I'd like to do what I can to keep it from coming back, or from getting a new case, or a different kind of cancer. Cancer sucks.

What I'd like is to be informed of what was used on the food I eat. I don't even care if they tell me what the residual level is, maybe for me any level is too much. I'd just like to know it was used. Then I can make an informed decision as to whether I want to purchase it. Which is why I tend to buy local and "organic" when I can, as poor a system as we have in this country at least I have an idea of what's NOT in or on my food.

Maybe it's all BS. Listened to a professor, of Population Dynamics, a dude with years of working with numbers and numerous well respected publications, wonder whether the seeming increase in heart disease and cancer rates in developed countries was more attributable to lengthened lifespans due to modern medicine and better nutrition than it was to any kind of inputs to our bodies. The way he put it, a higher percentage of the population died from malnutrition and basic infections and such and never lived long enough for cancer and heart disease to become an issue. Maybe my cancer issues are from living past 30??? You know, cancer is just really great cell growth, maybe my cells just managed to learn to grow better and it wasn't the result of the exposure to all that crap I was exposed to over the years.

Believe the science, or believe the anti-science, some of the scheidt they use on your food is nasty crap.....for a reason. It kills scheidt they don't want to live and supposedly lets other stuff live with little or no effect on you................but especially it has a beneficial effect on their bottom line (or they ain't doing it right).

All I know, it's my belief I have a right to know what is being sold to me.

Hey Jim, I had a big bowl of your favorite miller's oatmeal this morning, from one of your favorite retail outlets. Bob's Red Mill organic steel cut oats from Costco grin
Sound like oats McCarthy wouldn't eat!

"Red" mill.....
Sound like oats McCarthy wouldn't eat!

"Red" mill.....
Please, don't tell me Bob is a commie.

I'd have to add him to the growing OCBL.

So many businesses and sports and such on it already, a fella won't be able to do, eat, or wear ANYTHING soon.
There are currently no GMO roundup ready wheats or Oats on the market. There has been a couple of finds in Oregon and Montana, where research on GMO roundup ready wheats took place and protocols were not followed and some genetics ‘escaped’. Those wheats were soft white wheats and won’t be in bread you eat.
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco

An ignorant statement. Agent Orange was a 50-50 mix of 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T. 2,4,5-T manufacturing produced double oxygen bridges called dioxin. Dioxin was responsible for strong carcinogenic properties of the agent orange mix. Glyphosate is not chemically similar to this and the glyphosate residues found in some oat products are of the metabolites (breakdown products) of glyphosate and not glyphosate. Additionally the rates found in those studies of oat products are in the ppt range which is insignificant.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

Compared to a lot of chemicals, Roundup (glysophate) is rather mild.
Yes!!!

Send Simon out to a tobacco field for a few days. He’d be begging for the Magic and Miracles of Dow Chemicals or Monsanto.

Oh I say there, Boy…. Your hoe and water jug are at the end of the first row.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

🎶 🎶 🎵 🎵
Originally Posted by BeanMan

An ignorant statement. Agent Orange was a 50-50 mix of 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T. 2,4,5-T manufacturing produced double oxygen bridges called dioxin. Dioxin was responsible for strong carcinogenic properties of the agent orange mix. Glyphosate is not chemically similar to this and the glyphosate residues found in some oat products are of the metabolites (breakdown products) of glyphosate and not glyphosate. Additionally the rates found in those studies of oat products are in the ppt range which is insignificant.

What I find unconvincing about your argument, is the fact that the general public has been told by leading scientists many times that a substance is harmless only to learn later that it was not harmless at all.

As I understood it...the dioxin was a contaminate or was created through faulty processes in the factory in New Zealand.

As I understood it...the dioxin was a contaminate or was created through faulty processes in the factory in New Zealand.

Yes, there and Malaysia, apparently overheating during the process freed up electrons to form the double oxygen bridge.

What I find unconvincing about your argument, is the fact that the general public has been told by leading scientists many times that a substance is harmless only to learn later that it was not harmless at all.

Using your argument then everything would be unsafe because science cannot be trusted. The truth is the vast majority of things deemed safe are safe.

/quote]

LOL, cancer rates from exposure to chemicals in the environment is something I know about. And what I know is, one person's anecdotes don't mean jack shìt.
Originally Posted by smokepole
[quote=milespatton]
My father-in-law said the same thing about asbestos. He worked around it all his life and he was fine into his seventies.

/quote]

LOL, cancer rates from exposure to chemicals in the environment is something I know about. And what I know is, one person's anecdotes don't mean jack shìt.
Anecdotal Science is the best kind.

Yes, there and Malaysia, apparently overheating during the process freed up electrons to form the double oxygen bridge.

What was the idea of making it there?

Just because it was a bit closer?

Cheaper? Could they produce it using procedures that were outside regs in the US?

I didn't know it was produced in Malaysia.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
[quote=milespatton]

/quote]

Don't know about best...but.it certainly the most fun.
[quote=milespatton]

/quote]

Don't know about best...but.it certainly the most fun.
I knew a guy who knew a gal who's granpa's cousin.....................
Regarding "farmers" that have used pesticides/herbicides for decades and are cancer free.................

Yeah, I've known folks that smoked or chewed tobacco for many decades and didn't get cancer either. Then again, I've known folks like a friend who was in his mid 30's that had a big chunk of his jaw removed, right at the spot he kept his dip, and folks in their 50's with lung cancer from smoking (OK, maybe it was from the formaldehyde in their furniture coverings, or wall insulation)

I'm a double survivor, skin cancer most likely from abundant sun exposure (multiple blistering sunburns when I was young) and renal cell carcinoma from who the hell knows. Was it from exposure to pesticides as a kid? I mean they sprayed friggen DDT over neighborhoods, every household I knew of had shaker cans of diazinon and other pesticides on shelves in the garage and they were used everywhere a bug popped up, especially on garden crops. Folks kept them around for years, because "I'll be damned if I'm going to let the government take away something that works. It hasn't killed me yet". Maybe my kidney cancer was from cleaning car parts in gasoline or diesel, in a galvanize pan, with a wire brush and getting all that used oil and solvent on my skin.? Maybe it came from the creek that ran in front of our house that drained our neighborhood and those upstream, some of which had leaky septic systems and some of which had very convenient storm drains in which anything anyone didn't want to deal with went right in the drain? Maybe it came from breathing leaded gas exhaust fumes and playing with pewter "army men"? 20 years of drinking and smoking tobacco? Maybe I go ahold of some paraquat sprayed weed when I was a kid? Too much chlorinated water when I lived in the burbs?

I no longer care where it came from, but I'd like to do what I can to keep it from coming back, or from getting a new case, or a different kind of cancer. Cancer sucks.

What I'd like is to be informed of what was used on the food I eat. I don't even care if they tell me what the residual level is, maybe for me any level is too much. I'd just like to know it was used. Then I can make an informed decision as to whether I want to purchase it. Which is why I tend to buy local and "organic" when I can, as poor a system as we have in this country at least I have an idea of what's NOT in or on my food.

Maybe it's all BS. Listened to a professor, of Population Dynamics, a dude with years of working with numbers and numerous well respected publications, wonder whether the seeming increase in heart disease and cancer rates in developed countries was more attributable to lengthened lifespans due to modern medicine and better nutrition than it was to any kind of inputs to our bodies. The way he put it, a higher percentage of the population died from malnutrition and basic infections and such and never lived long enough for cancer and heart disease to become an issue. Maybe my cancer issues are from living past 30??? You know, cancer is just really great cell growth, maybe my cells just managed to learn to grow better and it wasn't the result of the exposure to all that crap I was exposed to over the years.

Believe the science, or believe the anti-science, some of the scheidt they use on your food is nasty crap.....for a reason. It kills scheidt they don't want to live and supposedly lets other stuff live with little or no effect on you................but especially it has a beneficial effect on their bottom line (or they ain't doing it right).

Hey Jim, I had a big bowl of your favorite miller's oatmeal this morning, from one of your favorite retail outlets. Bob's Red Mill organic steel cut oats from Costco grin

Bob passed away recently. Like a week or two ago. No mention of glyphosate that I recall.
Just saw this. I haven't read it yet but here it is.

https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/f...&LINK=CTA_Read_More&locale=EN-US

Bob passed away recently. Like a week or two ago. No mention of glyphosate that I recall.

Dang,

they still gonna sell them steel cut oats I hope.

And we use some of his variety flours for making our bread if we can't find it in some other places we get ours from.
My wife's nephew died from an aggressive form of prosate cancer. He was a lifelong farmer who was the one that did most of the spraying for a large family farm operation. He told me shortly before he died that if he had it all to over again, he would have been more careful handling chemicals.

What was the idea of making it there?

Just because it was a bit closer?

Cheaper? Could they produce it using procedures that were outside regs in the US?

I didn't know it was produced in Malaysia.

I’m not sure of the reason, probably cheaper. It’s worth noting that the agent orange mix was first used by the British in what was then called Malaya post WWII
Somebody call Erin Brockavich.

There was a whole town scrooged over by dioxin.

Love Canal?

When you read this article I’m sure you noticed that it says Glyphosate is primarily used prior to planting or during fallow situations?

Love Canal?

Wrong.

It was Times Beach.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Absolutely.

It's not the normal practice.
Normally the crop would ripen and weeds wouldn't be a problem.

When they need to hasten the process, or weeds are bad enough to be an issue in the combine, the "Dessicate" it. That's a less disturbing way of saying they spar it with plant killing chemicals.

And harvest just as soon after spraying as possible.

Our current farm practices are based on high yield, low cost, low margins.
It's the system farmers need to work in, or around.

I'm bound to piss some off. Maybe they operate outside the system,
I know Jim is trying hard to be different.

Most agriculture is producing the biggest, cheapest, crop possible.
Health of consumers is not in the top considerations

Wrong glyphosate is NOT a desiccate. It is used to kill weeds. Roundup is a slow killer of weeds. Would need to wait at least a week or so to harvest. Now Paraguat is a desiccate and can combine in 2 -3 days
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24

Using your argument then everything would be unsafe because science cannot be trusted. The truth is the vast majority of things deemed safe are safe.

I'm well beyond "trusting science".
And I would have said tha 5 years ago.

Pure science is trustworthy, as pure Communism would be a good thing.
Both run into a common problem, they require people. And so can't exist in the theoretical pure state.

When did the last big scientific study not happen due to funding from someone with an interest in the results?

The egg board funds a study.
The results show that eggs actually are healthy.

Monsanto, the epitome of science, tells you exactly how Glyphosate acts and reacts.
And it's science.

Meanwhile, how much money does Monsanto make from Roundup and Roundup ready seed.

I'd fall over dead if they suddenly came out and said,
"Glyphosate is dangerous, Roundup Ready seeds have been genetically modified and are dangerous. We need to never use any again and purge them from the supply chain as soon as possible."

Don't matter what science might say, Monsanto will never do that.
Remember the science, on Big Tobacco's side?
I never lived there. Heard about it on the news, when I wasn't working to fund my lavish retirement.
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by muleshoe

Or why someone would just pick up a bottle and drink out of it when they don't really know what is in it.

kwg

My company sells Gramoxone which is paraquat and one of our training videos is just like that only a CHILD drank it from a coke bottle. Now the paraquat made in the last 10-15 years has a AUTOMATIC PUKE ingredient just for that reason
Posted By: ERK Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
When I was at the Monsanto plant I asked them when they were going to put it in a dry form so that it would have residual to kill plants that come up after it’s put down.
The scientist informed me they would love to do it but it was impossible since at soon at it touches ground it turns inert and is useless. It kills only plants on contact.
I sprayed paraquat on flax to kill any green plants so it was way easier to combine. That’s the Schitt I would worry about although I have no evidence it is harmful in that scenario. Edk
Posted By: rost495 Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
Glyphosphate doesn't bother me much.

I think the engineering of the basic seed or plant may be a much bigger thing to worry about than round up.

Although I suspect neither is a huge issue.

We live longer now than we ever have.

The drs out there to make money it seems to me. Just like everyone else. Find a fad that someone will pay into.

YMMV
Posted By: rost495 Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24

We sprayed agent orange for years on fence lines. Not a single person got cancer that was involved in that spraying. Granted we didn't get wetted out with it either.

Many things are not good for us. Many times the amount we would have to take is something that will never happen, to make it bad.

Which science do you believe?

If you have a feeling then go organic by your own growth with non modified. You may or may not live longer.

IMHO after being around medical issues. The most damaging thing you have is your genes.
Was it surplus from Vietnam contaminated with dioxin?
Posted By: ipopum Re: Oat farmer - 03/20/24
Well golly gee people are prone to believe something and nothing factual can change their mind.

But we don`t bat an eye at something that is proven. Over eating, smocking, consumption of liquid beverages etc.

I smoked for years before I quit. Drinking, yup in my past. Too much sun exposure, been there and done that. I have a lot of DR visits to prove it.

It is interesting to read a thread. Someone will post facts and a page or so later right back to that can`t be true,

A lot of facts available on chemicals but not all will believe them.
Originally Posted by rost495

We sprayed agent orange for years on fence lines. Not a single person got cancer that was involved in that spraying. Granted we didn't get wetted out with it either.

Many things are not good for us. Many times the amount we would have to take is something that will never happen, to make it bad.

Which science do you believe?

If you have a feeling then go organic by your own growth with non modified. You may or may not live longer.

IMHO after being around medical issues. The most damaging thing you have is your genes.

If I have a choice, I would just rather have my oats without poison please.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Oat farmer - 03/21/24
[quote=milespatton]

/quote]

That's right. You can chug a gallon of glyphosate and as long as you've got the anecdote you'll be OK.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Oat farmer - 03/21/24
Was it surplus from Vietnam contaminated with dioxin?
I did totally miss that part. It was not.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Oat farmer - 03/21/24
[quote=milespatton]

/quote]

That's right. You can chug a gallon of glyphosate and as long as you've got the anecdote you'll be OK.

Huh?

You may be on to something there.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Oat farmer - 03/21/24
Huh?

You may be on to something there.

Of course I am. And don't act so surprised, that's hurtful.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Oat farmer - 03/21/24
Oh my gosh.

I should read more carefully next time.

That was good.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Oat farmer - 03/24/24

I elk hunted years ago with her lawyer. Hell of a worldwide hunter.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Oat farmer - 03/24/24
Just to show you the influence that your TV, and lawyer advertising on people, just this morning I read a post by a local woman, about Roundup. According to Her, Roundup will kill you, your children, Honeybees, dogs , cats and most everything else. Her late husband was a farmer, as was His Dad, and Her Her Son currently farms. None of these died from anything Roundup related, although Roundup is used a lot on their farm, which is very large. Her Husband and His Dad died from old age, pure and simple. I have known this family all my life, and I am 76 years old. I was on the cemetery board with Her Husband, and now Her son is on the board in His place. She on the other hand Has never worked except housework, maybe. I think most of that was done by hired help. Anyway what caught my eye, was the part about honeybees. According to her, Roundup will kill honeybees for 5-10 miles in every direction. Funny thing, I spray it around my hives to keep vegetation down close to them, and then I mow the rest. Granted that I spray in late evening, when the bees are in the hive, and that gives time for the chemical to go dormant. Lots of BS going around Roundup, by people that have never used it. miles
Posted By: plumbum Re: Oat farmer - 03/24/24

Hexavalent chromium was the issue in Hinkley.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Oat farmer - 03/24/24
Roundup is a trade name.

We have a local farmer while he was still in highschool went to Germany and bought the rights to a weed killer that used glyphosate as it's active ingredient. After he and his dad started producing this weed killer DOW Chemical in effect STOLE it from them and now you know that chemical as Roundup. As I recall, he bought the rights from Bayer sometime in the 1960's.

This local farmer sued Dow and it took over 20 years to settle the lawsuit. In the end he won but it was a pretty shallow victory for him. He went on to produce his version of glyphosate and sold it in Brazil and India and other 3rd world countries for years. He sold out of everything just a couple of years ago as a very wealthy man. He and his dad were just a couple of dumb a$$ed farmers with a plan.

Look up Dennis Albaugh and check it out yourself. Another Ankeny graduate is Mark Westrum. The former owner of Armalite. He retired about 10 years ago and sold the company. It's since gone to $hit in a handbasket.

kwg
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Oat farmer - 03/25/24
Originally Posted by plumbum

Hexavalent chromium was the issue in Hinkley.

I always thought it was that myself.🤣

In the movie she fires her first atty and then hires the guy I hunted with.
© 24hourcampfire