Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Think of it this way. Farming is a business, you don’t use expensive inputs unless you make money by doing so. I worked with wheat in eastern Colorado and western Nebraska and Kansas for a number of years. Dryland wheat might yield 45 bushels in a great year. The cost to buy and apply glyphosate was around 15 bucks an acre. This will eliminate profit in most cases. Bottom line, it won’t get used.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by IA_fog
No Jim is correct or at least correct for Illinois and Iowa. Have only used Gly one time and that was because the weeds so bad had to recommended something
Roundup contrary to popular belief is fairly safe to use and consumption is about as dangerous as covid. Now Paraguat that’s a different answer

They use the crap out of paraquat on legumes.

Field peas and lentils and chickpeas.

They say they can't find any traces of it when applied at the right time....but we don't use it.

Scares the hell out of me.

You’re smart to be scared, Jim. Years ago I recall an Atlanta nursery owner was exposed to it. He wound up with a lung transplant. Died anyway.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Been out of oat crops for 30 years; gramps and uncle had it all over the place in rotation but never any Roundup ready.

The kids (me) pulled the weeds, all of them, including thistles which got the spade.
Really don't remember weeds missed not getting choked out by oats.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have never seen folks around here spray them because they ripen themselves.

If one is spraying they have money to waste.

I believe that the chemicals are done in by the great ball in the sky.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is a lot of soft red winter wheat grown here, because most farmers are in a rotation of the three crops in two years farming practice. Corn is harvested in the fall, then wheat is planted, and it is harvested the following June, and then soybeans are planted into the wheat stubble. In my fifty something years of seeing this done, I've never known of anyone spraying the wheat to dry it down before harvest. I did see soybeans sprayed with Paraquat a few times way back in the 1970 and 80's time frame.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
The Dr. is full of baloney, I think. Spraying wheat before cutting?? 🤪

The Dr. also says you shouldn't eat oatmeal because oats contain lectins.

Cooking oats in water destroys lectins.

But the Dr. makes a lot of money selling books.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies. I have never farmed, so appreciate your sharing your knowledge.

When a heart surgeon says things you have a tendency to believe him, but I tend to question experts since I've caught a few lying. Dr Gundry has books and products for sale. YouTube channel also.

About paraquat. Decades ago the DEA used it on the merrywanna down in Mexico. Bunch of Americans had lung problems from it. That may be when the DEA/gov decided to join the party rather than oppose it.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by IA_fog
No Jim is correct or at least correct for Illinois and Iowa. Have only used Gly one time and that was because the weeds so bad had to recommended something
Roundup contrary to popular belief is fairly safe to use and consumption is about as dangerous as covid. Now Paraguat that’s a different answer

They use the crap out of paraquat on legumes.

Field peas and lentils and chickpeas.

They say they can't find any traces of it when applied at the right time....but we don't use it.

Me too. I retired from USDA eight years ago. The county I started work in had a man die quickly from ingestion of Paraquat. The owner of a farm had a little bit of Paraquat left over and poured the excess into an empty Coke bottle before disposing of the original container for some crazy reason. One of his workers saw the bottle and took a swig, immediately spitting it out and rinsing his mouth out. Too late…the mouth, being a mucus membrane, absorbed some of it and he was dead in a few hours. Knew the farmer well. No idea why he transferred the liquid to a stupid coke bottle.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
ND is big spring wheat country. You don’t see oats planted here much anymore - the economics aren’t so great when the price is 1/2 or less of wheat. When I was a kid, dad would often plant a bit every year to feed to our own cattle.

I am not aware of Round-up Ready wheat of oats. The typical use is to spray fields with Round-up prior to planting. It kills everything. Then you plant wheat or whatever crop into a “clean” field. By the time the crop emerges, the Round-up has broken down or last its efficacy, otherwise it would kill the wheat or oats or whatever. I don’t think I have ever heard of going back and spraying a small grains crop like wheat or oats to kill it prior to harvest.

I have heard of it used on others, perhaps canola or soybeans, to kill them and dry them down. That usually isn’t an issue with the grass-type crops.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I remember flax in Minnesota, it looked waves on a lake when it was in bloom.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I eat oatmeal for breakfast, it claims to be organic, so hopefully no chemicals are sprayed on it.

Round up is some nasty stuff, I wish it had never been invented.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I eat oatmeal for breakfast, it claims to be organic, so hopefully no chemicals are sprayed on it.

Round up is some nasty stuff, I wish it had never been invented.

Compared to a lot of chemicals, Roundup (glysophate) is rather mild.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It's always been my understanding that glyphosate is destroyed by sunlight. But using it to kill a plant in order to harvest befuddled me. Some agriculture chemicals, i.e. pesticides, are systemic. They work by being taken up by the plants making them toxic to pests. And you.
Diazanon was meant to be applied to a crop and after a week or so would be gone. But using it to drench fire ants caused it to be in ground water. Now it's banned. Don't know if farmers can get it or not.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
When used correctly most of the AG chemicals are safe. It's the people who don't read the label who are the problem.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Me too. I retired from USDA eight years ago. The county I started work in had a man die quickly from ingestion of Paraquat. The owner of a farm had a little bit of Paraquat left over and poured the excess into an empty Coke bottle before disposing of the original container for some crazy reason. One of his workers saw the bottle and took a swig, immediately spitting it out and rinsing his mouth out. Too late…the mouth, being a mucus membrane, absorbed some of it and he was dead in a few hours. Knew the farmer well. No idea why he transferred the liquid to a stupid coke bottle.

That’s just what lifetime farmers do, never throw away anything that might be of value.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Originally Posted by Godogs57

That’s just what lifetime farmers do, never throw away anything that might be of value.

Or why someone would just pick up a bottle and drink out of it when they don't really know what is in it.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote]Roundup contrary to popular belief is fairly safe to use and consumption is about as dangerous as covid./quote]
This hazard was decided by a California Jury. Then the lawyers ran with it. If it was what you hear on TV, there would be nobody in Arkansas without the cancers attributed to Roundup, the only glyphosate brand mentioned in the lawyer ads. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote]Round up is some nasty stuff, I wish it had never been invented.
/quote]
Bull scat. I have been around it since it"s invention. It is common for the wind to blow it back on you when spraying, and also getting your hands soaked while cleaning sprayer nozzles. Usually you are without a place to wash off. You might have a rag to dry off a little. I am 76 years old, a lot of friends a neighbors, and my self has done this for years without any cancers related to roundup. I repeat from another post of mine in this thread, Decided by a California JURY.

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My father-in-law said the same thing about asbestos. He worked around it all his life and he was fine into his seventies.

Then he died from a very aggressive form of lung cancer.

I'm not saying roundup will kill you, just that a sample of a few means not very much.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agent Orange Cheerios…mmm good 😂🤣😂🤣

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,704
Posts18,494,316
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.