Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#19314062 03/19/24
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone here know one or grown a crop themselves?

The reason I ask is the use of glyphosate. A Dr Grundy says that oats and wheat are sprayed before harvest to kill the plants making it easier to harvest. Thus all our USA grains are unhealthy.

Anyone know if it is true?

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Grew it as a nurse crop yrs ago cut it for hay

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That's not the same. I'm just curious as to the good Dr's information being true or not.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Lots of winter wheat here. They do spray it shortly before harvesting. I do not believe it is glyphosate however.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I’ve been away from commercial agronomy for 20 years or so, but, no, I don’t think that’s how it works.
All of the wheat I’ve ever been around was allowed to ripen on its own.
“Roundup Ready” (gmo) crops are sprayed with glyphosphate after they emerge from the ground and are relatively young. They’re immune to glyphosphate while it kills weeds.

They used to use lots of other bad chemicals to do that. Everyone bitched about those too.

Someone who has actually row cropped in the last 25 years correct me if I’m wrong.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Yes, it is used in a percentage of US grain crops. It's used as a discant, if that's the word, to help dry the grains faster. Last time I checked it was used on 20 something percent of US wheat. Don't know the oat percentages. I bet you can google it up.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Potsy. The Dr says it's bad for gut health and damages mitochondrial function. Seems like whole grains and healthy diet may not go together.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
No. Glyphosate is not commonly used as a preharvest burn down.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Of all the harvesting I’ve ever done (wheat, dry peas, corn, oats, barley, etc.), only one crop was ever sprayed prior to cutting.

That was alfalfa seed. The plant had to be killed, or it would choke up the combine. A combination of diesel and dinitro would be sprayed about a week before harvest.

The Dr. is full of baloney, I think. Spraying wheat before cutting?? 🤪

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
We bale our oats, any spray would kill the alfalfa

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That's a good link. Thanks.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RHClark
Yes, it is used in a percentage of US grain crops. It's used as a discant, if that's the word, to help dry the grains faster. Last time I checked it was used on 20 something percent of US wheat. Don't know the oat percentages. I bet you can google it up.

Absolutely.

It's not the normal practice.
Normally the crop would ripen and weeds wouldn't be a problem.

When they need to hasten the process, or weeds are bad enough to be an issue in the combine, the "Dessicate" it. That's a less disturbing way of saying they spar it with plant killing chemicals.

And harvest just as soon after spraying as possible.

Our current farm practices are based on high yield, low cost, low margins.
It's the system farmers need to work in, or around.

I'm bound to piss some off. Maybe they operate outside the system,
I know Jim is trying hard to be different.

Most agriculture is producing the biggest, cheapest, crop possible.
Health of consumers is not in the top considerations

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A barley farmer friend here does it to get harvest done prior to early snows in September.

Much of is used in a vodka distillery and the product is sold in anchorage to add to their problems.

The sand hill cranes eat it and I shoot the cranes and trade the breast for PWS fish fillets.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've got oats about 2 in tall right now. but I won't spray them I don't know if it would do harm or not but what little grass is in them ain't going to hurt cuz I'm bailing them for green silage anyway..

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
No Jim is correct or at least correct for Illinois and Iowa. Have only used Gly one time and that was because the weeds so bad had to recommended something
Roundup contrary to popular belief is fairly safe to use and consumption is about as dangerous as covid. Now Paraguat that’s a different answer

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
No. Glyphosate is not commonly used as a preharvest burn down.
This ^^

If it's roundup ready oats It's sprayed early after the oats have started growing. Oats are only good if they are heavy enough for someone to buy them for pressing. If you have a dry year, the oats are only good enough for cattle and pig feed. In a good year and there was good rains and the oats are heavy they can get sold for human consumption. The round up has long since dissipated. Once roundup gets down in the soil it's neutralized. I assume it's still made like in years passed, you can actually grow non roundup ready crops in the same plot the following year with no affects.

IN my youth, there were no roundup ready crops and it was only used as a weed killer before planting. After spraying roundup you had to wait 10 days or so until the stuff neutralized and then you tilled the ground. Roundup ready crops have changed that process to spraying after the desired crops have emerged.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by IA_fog
No Jim is correct or at least correct for Illinois and Iowa. Have only used Gly one time and that was because the weeds so bad had to recommended something
Roundup contrary to popular belief is fairly safe to use and consumption is about as dangerous as covid. Now Paraguat that’s a different answer

They use the crap out of paraquat on legumes.

Field peas and lentils and chickpeas.

They say they can't find any traces of it when applied at the right time....but we don't use it.

Scares the hell out of me.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've always wondered how that works regarding food safety.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
They say they can't detect it.

We don't trust it...so we always swath and pick them up when weedy.

To the OP....see if you can find organic oats.

I am MAGA.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (17CalFan, 2ndwind, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 37 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,316
Posts18,526,398
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.