Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope all is well with you and your fine family thus far.

When we were still farming which is 40 plus years ago now, we'd swath everything and it'd dry there before we could combine it.

Somewhere along the way either through crop manipulation or chemicals, I don't believe most of the crops get swathed up there anymore.

Next time I chat with my nephew who is still managing my brother's place, I'll ask him.

I want to say my brother had told me years back they killed the crop with something in order to straight combine, but I can't recall what that was anymore Jim.

The fruit industry out here is really chemical heavy too in order to snuff the bugs and worms.

Again it might be better now, but 35 years back the orchards that I was involved with were dead zones by fall, as in no birds even Jim.

When we were looking for a rural property around that time, we took pains to not be near an orchard as we didn't want our kids exposed to that stuff.

But yes sir, you are wise to approach most chemicals like a 3 toed coyote who finds a nice juicy steak lying in the middle of the trail.

In my family, of the other 2 couples we farmed with, my brother, his wife, a cousin and his wife, 2 are dead from cancer and one is still in treatment.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence....

All the best.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 03/20/24.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB4

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Right on Dwayne!

You and I and our health and wellness are just metrics in a cost/benefit analysis for the FDA, EPA, USDA and Industrial Food.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by RHClark
Originally Posted by victoro
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
Thanks Potsy. The Dr says it's bad for gut health and damages mitochondrial function. Seems like whole grains and healthy diet may not go together.

Anything that will kill an insect or a plant can't be good for humans. Systemic poison was used on citrus fruits but I don't know if it's still used. Instead of spraying the trees they applied it to the ground around the the trees. When insects ate the poisoned leaves it killed them quickly before they could do much damage. This same poison was in the fruit but not enough to kill a human quickly (we're too big).

We have pretty much contaminated every crop and food source that consumes those crops. Traces of arsenic can still be detected in rice that is farmed where cotton was treated with arsenic in civile war times. I do not believe that glyphosate becomes completely harmless in a short amount of time or is safe applied anywhere close to a food crop.

Thank you RHClark I couldn't agree more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Right on Dwayne!

You and I and our health and wellness are just metrics in a cost/benefit analysis for the FDA, EPA, USDA and Industrial Food.

Jim;
Thanks for the reply.

When I got into cabinet making there were a whole lot of chemicals in the finishes as well, so it'll be a minor miracle if some of that lifetime exposure doesn't assist me to shuffle off this mortal coil in a more expedient fashion.

What I have come to believe - unfortunately too Jim - is that the infinitesimally minute size of the crap that they - the government and many/most big business - do not give about me and you, is difficult to grasp.

Less than zero truly Jim.

That said, we can perhaps educate others and as always take steps to make it better for our kids and grandkids hopefully.

That's a decent goal in my view.

Best to you all Jim.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Right on Dwayne!

shocked shocked shocked

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by victoro
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
Thanks Potsy. The Dr says it's bad for gut health and damages mitochondrial function. Seems like whole grains and healthy diet may not go together.

Anything that will kill an insect or a plant can't be good for humans. Systemic poison was used on citrus fruits but I don't know if it's still used. Instead of spraying the trees they applied it to the ground around the the trees. When insects ate the poisoned leaves it killed them quickly before they could do much damage. This same poison was in the fruit but not enough to kill a human quickly (we're too big).

We have pretty much contaminated every crop and food source that consumes those crops. Traces of arsenic can still be detected in rice that is farmed where cotton was treated with arsenic in civile war times. I do not believe that glyphosate becomes completely harmless in a short amount of time or is safe applied anywhere close to a food crop.

Arsenic being a very very common component of the earths crust.

If you look hard enough...you will find it everywhere.

That doesn't mean it's good for consumption. Lots of stuff found everywhere in the earth you shouldn't eat. LOL. Everything "organic" ain't good for you.

Alright.
Lol apparently.

There is arsenic in every you eat.....so stop eating. Problem solved.

I think there's a more sensible approach than just saying everything is poisonous and not giving a damn about what you eat, or on the other hand being afraid to eat anything because of possible contamination. If one rice has many times the amount of arsenic as another because of where it was grown, it should be an easy decision which one to eat.

Last edited by RHClark; 03/20/24.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Regarding "farmers" that have used pesticides/herbicides for decades and are cancer free.................

Yeah, I've known folks that smoked or chewed tobacco for many decades and didn't get cancer either. Then again, I've known folks like a friend who was in his mid 30's that had a big chunk of his jaw removed, right at the spot he kept his dip, and folks in their 50's with lung cancer from smoking (OK, maybe it was from the formaldehyde in their furniture coverings, or wall insulation)

I'm a double survivor, skin cancer most likely from abundant sun exposure (multiple blistering sunburns when I was young) and renal cell carcinoma from who the hell knows. Was it from exposure to pesticides as a kid? I mean they sprayed friggen DDT over neighborhoods, every household I knew of had shaker cans of diazinon and other pesticides on shelves in the garage and they were used everywhere a bug popped up, especially on garden crops. Folks kept them around for years, because "I'll be damned if I'm going to let the government take away something that works. It hasn't killed me yet". Maybe my kidney cancer was from cleaning car parts in gasoline or diesel, in a galvanize pan, with a wire brush and getting all that used oil and solvent on my skin.? Maybe it came from the creek that ran in front of our house that drained our neighborhood and those upstream, some of which had leaky septic systems and some of which had very convenient storm drains in which anything anyone didn't want to deal with went right in the drain? Maybe it came from breathing leaded gas exhaust fumes and playing with pewter "army men"? 20 years of drinking and smoking tobacco? Maybe I go ahold of some paraquat sprayed weed when I was a kid? Too much chlorinated water when I lived in the burbs?

I no longer care where it came from, but I'd like to do what I can to keep it from coming back, or from getting a new case, or a different kind of cancer. Cancer sucks.

What I'd like is to be informed of what was used on the food I eat. I don't even care if they tell me what the residual level is, maybe for me any level is too much. I'd just like to know it was used. Then I can make an informed decision as to whether I want to purchase it. Which is why I tend to buy local and "organic" when I can, as poor a system as we have in this country at least I have an idea of what's NOT in or on my food.

Maybe it's all BS. Listened to a professor, of Population Dynamics, a dude with years of working with numbers and numerous well respected publications, wonder whether the seeming increase in heart disease and cancer rates in developed countries was more attributable to lengthened lifespans due to modern medicine and better nutrition than it was to any kind of inputs to our bodies. The way he put it, a higher percentage of the population died from malnutrition and basic infections and such and never lived long enough for cancer and heart disease to become an issue. Maybe my cancer issues are from living past 30??? You know, cancer is just really great cell growth, maybe my cells just managed to learn to grow better and it wasn't the result of the exposure to all that crap I was exposed to over the years.

Believe the science, or believe the anti-science, some of the scheidt they use on your food is nasty crap.....for a reason. It kills scheidt they don't want to live and supposedly lets other stuff live with little or no effect on you................but especially it has a beneficial effect on their bottom line (or they ain't doing it right).

All I know, it's my belief I have a right to know what is being sold to me.

Hey Jim, I had a big bowl of your favorite miller's oatmeal this morning, from one of your favorite retail outlets. Bob's Red Mill organic steel cut oats from Costco grin

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Sound like oats McCarthy wouldn't eat!

"Red" mill.....

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sound like oats McCarthy wouldn't eat!

"Red" mill.....
Please, don't tell me Bob is a commie.

I'd have to add him to the growing OCBL.

So many businesses and sports and such on it already, a fella won't be able to do, eat, or wear ANYTHING soon.

In it is contentment

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
There are currently no GMO roundup ready wheats or Oats on the market. There has been a couple of finds in Oregon and Montana, where research on GMO roundup ready wheats took place and protocols were not followed and some genetics ‘escaped’. Those wheats were soft white wheats and won’t be in bread you eat.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Agent Orange Cheerios…mmm good 😂🤣😂🤣

An ignorant statement. Agent Orange was a 50-50 mix of 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T. 2,4,5-T manufacturing produced double oxygen bridges called dioxin. Dioxin was responsible for strong carcinogenic properties of the agent orange mix. Glyphosate is not chemically similar to this and the glyphosate residues found in some oat products are of the metabolites (breakdown products) of glyphosate and not glyphosate. Additionally the rates found in those studies of oat products are in the ppt range which is insignificant.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I eat oatmeal for breakfast, it claims to be organic, so hopefully no chemicals are sprayed on it.

Round up is some nasty stuff, I wish it had never been invented.

Compared to a lot of chemicals, Roundup (glysophate) is rather mild.
Yes!!!

Send Simon out to a tobacco field for a few days. He’d be begging for the Magic and Miracles of Dow Chemicals or Monsanto.

Oh I say there, Boy…. Your hoe and water jug are at the end of the first row.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

🎶 🎶 🎵 🎵

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BeanMan

An ignorant statement. Agent Orange was a 50-50 mix of 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T. 2,4,5-T manufacturing produced double oxygen bridges called dioxin. Dioxin was responsible for strong carcinogenic properties of the agent orange mix. Glyphosate is not chemically similar to this and the glyphosate residues found in some oat products are of the metabolites (breakdown products) of glyphosate and not glyphosate. Additionally the rates found in those studies of oat products are in the ppt range which is insignificant.

What I find unconvincing about your argument, is the fact that the general public has been told by leading scientists many times that a substance is harmless only to learn later that it was not harmless at all.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

As I understood it...the dioxin was a contaminate or was created through faulty processes in the factory in New Zealand.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

As I understood it...the dioxin was a contaminate or was created through faulty processes in the factory in New Zealand.

Yes, there and Malaysia, apparently overheating during the process freed up electrons to form the double oxygen bridge.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

What I find unconvincing about your argument, is the fact that the general public has been told by leading scientists many times that a substance is harmless only to learn later that it was not harmless at all.

Using your argument then everything would be unsafe because science cannot be trusted. The truth is the vast majority of things deemed safe are safe.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by milespatton
[quote]My father-in-law said the same thing about asbestos. He worked around it all his life and he was fine into his seventies.

Then he died from a very aggressive form of lung cancer.

I'm not saying roundup will kill you, just that a sample of a few means not very much.

/quote]
I read the obituaries in the Little Rock paper every morning. Most of the people in it are younger than me.I have a good friend, since we were five years old, Life long farmer, probably used more roundup, than you and everybody that you know, added together. I have a lot of friends like that, since I live in a farming community. All alive, cancer free. Talk about something that you know about. miles

LOL, cancer rates from exposure to chemicals in the environment is something I know about. And what I know is, one person's anecdotes don't mean jack shìt.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
[quote=milespatton]
My father-in-law said the same thing about asbestos. He worked around it all his life and he was fine into his seventies.

I'm not saying roundup will kill you, just that a sample of a few means not very much.

/quote]
I read the obituaries in the Little Rock paper every morning. Most of the people in it are younger than me.I have a good friend, since we were five years old, Life long farmer, probably used more roundup, than you and everybody that you know, added together. I have a lot of friends like that, since I live in a farming community. All alive, cancer free. Talk about something that you know about. miles

LOL, cancer rates from exposure to chemicals in the environment is something I know about. And what I know is, one person's anecdotes don't mean jack shìt.
Anecdotal Science is the best kind.

In it is contentment

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

Yes, there and Malaysia, apparently overheating during the process freed up electrons to form the double oxygen bridge.

What was the idea of making it there?

Just because it was a bit closer?

Cheaper? Could they produce it using procedures that were outside regs in the US?

I didn't know it was produced in Malaysia.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by smokepole
[quote=milespatton]
My father-in-law said the same thing about asbestos. He worked around it all his life and he was fine into his seventies.

/quote]

Anecdotal Science is the best kind.

Don't know about best...but.it certainly the most fun.

I am MAGA.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12savage, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,911
Posts18,479,524
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.