Home
Posted By: Alan_C Do you have a favorite Soup ??? - 04/06/24
It’s cold here and just microwaving some Progresso Pea Soup. I chop up some bacon. Micro the bacon and add to soup. I crave pea soup once in a while.
Yes, the next soup.
I do like a good vegetable beef soup but my favorite is my wife's potato soup. Good stuff.
We like the Progresso clam chowda 😁
Eating it all week & happy about it.

Home made veggie soup. Nothing fancy, just a a pound or more of stew meat, onion, quart of tomato juice, 2 cans of mixed vegetables, 3-5 cubed potatoes & a third or half a head of cut up cabbage. Simmered for 3-5 hours for the first heat.

I love it when Huy Fong Scriracha is added & have peanut butter & saltines on the side.
Originally Posted by navlav8r
One of my favorites too. I usually take green onions and cut them up with scissors and add 2 to a can. Sometimes I add some canned mushrooms. Good stuff!
Originally Posted by gunzo
Eating it all week & happy about it.

Home made veggie soup. Nothing fancy, just a a pound or more of stew meat, onion, quart of tomato juice, 2 cans of mixed vegetables, 3-5 cubed potatoes & a third or half a head of cut up cabbage. Simmered for 3-5 hours for the first heat.

I love it with Huy Fong Scriracha in it & peanut butter & saltines on the side.
Sounds good Gunzo! The cabbage caught my attention. Sardines and peanut butter is interesting. Thanks for sharing!
Chicken heart corn soup with a ton of mushrooms and enough barley you can stand up a spoon in a bowl of it
About the only soup I like is the one my paternal Grandmother who raised me made. The good thing is I can have it any time I want as I learned how to maake it. I did modify it a bit by using good grade beef hamburger rather than cubed browned meat The rest is just lots of taters, green beans peas, carrots and spinach.The rest is a lot of spices. During the colder months I add a little extra red pepper flakes otherwise it's just a pinch. The end result looks more like a stew but she called it soup. She believed soup should be hearty and not some watery mess. I agree.The point is it's just an old country French one pot meal and I never get tired of it. Hope I never do.
PJ
Navy bean soup, lentil soup, tomato, chicken noodle almost any soup is great on a cold day.
love soups. Chicken noodle, beef vegetable, pasta e [bleep], chicken potato, chicken tortilla, clam chowder, etc.
Proper minestrone for me like my dear Mother made using oxtails for the broth. I am 62 now and have yet to make it.
No Soup for You!...
Yes.
She Crab and/or Lobster Bisque
Homemade French onion soup.
I guess I like weird ones. This one is moose marrow, green onion, and broccolini:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

And tripe with pig feet:

And grouse with mushrooms and veggies:

I love all of them, but mostly anything with a type of meat and veggies. I cook on a woodstove and just throw stuff in the dutch oven , cook it and eat it. I have been using dried kale every day this winter as I prefer it cooked. The last of the butternut and the potatoes from the garden are getting eaten in the next few weeks!
My BIL makes great soups

Potato Leek
Albondigas

also New England Clam Chowder
Homemade potato soup.
Potatoes cooked in chicken broth. Then add a bit of garlic, onion, cream, butter and browned pork sausage. Salt and pepper to taste. Thicken with corn starch or flour
I make my own cream of chicken vegetable soup. Simmer a boneless chicken breast or two in a can of chicken broth, cube it up and add sliced carrots, diced onion, celery, frozen niblet corn, frozen green peas, and a couple of handfuls of egg noodles. Slow simmer for an hour, then add half a cup of heavy cream right before serving, simmered long enough to heat thoroughly. Serve with buttered Ritz crackers or grilled garlic bread.
I make pretty good renditions of chicken noodle, Zuppa Toscana, and seafood chowder.

Hot sour soup is one of my favorites, but I haven't figured out to make that one myself, yet.
Polish dill pickle soup
Love to make soup. I make a bunch of different kinds.
Current favorite is Panera's summer squash. 👍 Amazing, but it will disappear soon until next fall.
This is a pretty simple soup that goes as fast as you can open the cans. Great last minute dinner with some cornbread.
https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a78065/seven-can-soup/
If I'm going scratch, some albondigas, Spanish rice on the side and corn tortillas.
Soups Online, https://www.soupsonline.com/ is a great source for soups, soup starter kits, and bunch of other stuff.

I've been getting soup kits from them for years. Split pea, chicken noodle, potato corn chowder, french onion, white bean with smoked pork hocks, vegetable, senate bean soup, are some of my regulars.
Thanks Mike! I will make a note of that. Good info!
Yes. My own meat and vegie making. Runs about 60 or $70 for all the ingredients in a 7-gallon turkey fryer pot with at least a 24-hour slow simmer.

Usually grilled venison, pronghorn, elk, beef, or occasionally bear diced, then pinto beans, spuds, peas, rice, barley, celery, bell peppers, mushrooms, green beans, corn, onions, garlic, a head of cabbage, maybe some rice, then diced tomatoes, about 4 quarts of tomato juice, bay leaves, soy sauce, salt, coarse ground black pepper, and a bit of fire from a whatever hot sauce. Last, water to cover the ingredients. Ladled into damned near every container we own and placed in the chest freezer. With a known rush day approaching a container goes into the fridge to thaw for a couple days and then reheated to serve. Never had a complaint.
Chicken noodle
Me and Campbells have been good friends for some time. Often a can of tomato with added Itallion spice and red bell pepper with ritz.
It's a toss-up between French Onion and Mock Turtle. I'm a huge fan of both. It is honestly hard to find either one done well anymore.

Mock Turtle Soup used to be a staple in Cincinnati. It's not a German dish, but the Germans latched onto it. By the 1840s, every little hovel in the Over the Rhine District had a front room with a table and the frau would serve you a bowl of Mock Turtle. Until recently, there were still German restaurants that served it. Right now, I can think of only one place. It's a bar over near Pleasant Ridge. My mom learned the recipe from Grandma and used to make it.

French Onion is another seemingly lost art. In my day, there were two restaurants known for their French Onion. One was La Normandie, the rathskeller underneath La Masionette, a 5-star French restaurant. The other was Zinos, an Italian-ish restaurant near the U.C. campus. Both are long gone. LaRosa's, the local pizza carryout giant, has a French Onion, but it is a pale shadow of the real stuff.
I make a bunch of different ones. The one that gets the most accolades is my lettuce soup.
This reminds me of my mom making soup, when ever she said we were having soup for supper, we knew it was time to clean out fridge.
We never knew what would be in there, but it was always good.

My wife makes the diet soup with lean ground beef and cabbage, it is always very good.
My xwife made a killer cream of mushroom leek soup. If only she wasn't such a bi tch.....
My favorite is Swamp soup/Turnip green soup. It's simple and quick to put together. We will make a big pot, a pan of cornbread and it will all be gone the next day.
Seafood chowder or 15 bean soup with lots of ham.
Our go-to soups for cooler months are chicken/turkey/sausage gumbo and cabbage soup, which is a venison/vegetable soup. Rarely eat them from April to September.
My own beef/venison/veggie soup. Takes half a day to make it. No one ever complains when they eat it. And does a good job of cleaning out the alimentary canal...
Beef stew

Eat year around, never got into certain foods for the time of year
Chikin noodly
I don't have a favorite - I'm not that soupisticated.
I developed a great potato soup recipe several years back, may have posted it here. I make one kind or another of venison soup at least once a week, very popular in our house. Many good soup recipes in Eileen Clark’s (Mrs Mule Deer) Soups stews and chili cookbook, well with the small price. I generally use them as jumping off points, reconfiguring as ingredients on hand and family tastes dictate…make notes on the pages.

A suggestion to those who like the canned stuff….check out the sodium content. Learn to make your own. If you can load your own ammunition you should be able to make soup that’s better (and better for you) than the factory made stuff.
I don't have a favorite soup, but I do have a favorite color, a favorite day of the week, and a favorite Beatle.

I'm on pins and needles waiting for AlanC to get to those hot topics.
Pozole Rojo
Clam Chowder
Something I make on occasion if I have time. Chicken and sausage gumbo. I think that’s sort of a soup.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Originally Posted by kolofardos
I guess I like weird ones. This one is moose marrow, green onion, and broccolini:

And tripe with pig feet:

The first 2 of these are trippin my trigger, they sound so good. The grouse soup sounds/looks good as well, but grouse are really scarce here & I could never put their delicious meat in a soup. But considering you live in BC, I figure you have access to many grouse a year.
Originally Posted by Alan_C
It’s cold here and just microwaving some Progresso Pea Soup. I chop up some bacon. Micro the bacon and add to soup. I crave pea soup once in a while.
Just made a big batch of Navy Bean Soup. Love that stuff.
My minestrone probably.

I started adding some curry powder to my chicken soup and like that too.

Currently trying to find a good knoephla recipe.
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
No Soup for You!...
You soup Nazi.
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
She Crab and/or Lobster Bisque
Love Lobster Bisque, too. Hard to find it in restaurants these days, though, and a PITA to make at home.
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Homemade French onion soup.
A favorite of mine, too. I make it from scratch, and always add Madeira to the soup before I top with bread and cheese, and stick it in the oven.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Clam Chowder
New England or Manhattan?
Caldo de-res (beef) & Caldo de-pollo (chicken) - Mexican soups served with a side of corn tortillas & fresh limes.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Bear Creek........or real home made
Love just about any soup, a favorite that hasn’t been mentioned is Stracciatella, chicken soup with an egg and some Pecorino Locatell Romano added. Actually, an Italian egg drop soup.
Chili is hard to beat.
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Love just about any soup, a favorite that hasn’t been mentioned is Stracciatella, chicken soup with an egg and some Pecorino Locatell Romano added. Actually, an Italian egg drop soup.
I like Greek style egg drop soup better, with rice and lemon juice. Unlike Stracciatella, you add the eggs in and mix after the broth is on the warm side, not quite hot, then bring it back up to serve.

I love Chinese egg drop soup, too, and make it often. For that, you need to add the eggs and stir while the broth is still hot, near to boiling point, and only after you've thickened it with corn starch.
Wife made a big pot of ham and bean today. So that's my favorite soup, today.

Love 'em all, though. Especially dote on seafood-based ones.
My wife makes killer soup, but my favorite soup is actually a bone in ribeye, very rare.
Thanks for everyone’s input. There is some serious chefs here! I’m pretty much a out of a can guy. But I have been inspired !!
Any, But a good tomato based shrimp and corn soup is killer
Albondigas
Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by kolofardos

And tripe with pig feet:

The first 2 of these are trippin my trigger, they sound so good. The grouse soup sounds/looks good as well, but grouse are really scarce here & I could never put their delicious meat in a soup. But considering you live in BC, I figure you have access to many grouse a year.

The moose marrow soup is definitely a rare treat, but there's lots of grouse around here. Limit in most areas is 10 to 15 a day.
OK, here's a weird one, sounds horrible but gets standing ovations from guests. A Polish soup with prunes, sometimes called czernina soup. Original recipe called for duck or goose blood...yuk, so I substituted pork shoulder or country style spare ribs. I know, this sounds nutso, prunes or plums in soup, and vinegar...but don't let your mind decide, let your tastebuds decide. Google Polish prune (or plum) soup. If you don't want to make the kluski noodles just use plain Gnocchi which is made with potato flour like Kluski. I'm getting my courage up to try the original recipe calling for blood of duck, goose or pig blood.
Flintlocke, your soup sounds good ! Pork and a sweet fruit go together. Apple, pineapple , prunes , etc. I’ve had a duck soup once . Loved it! Always enjoy reading your posts. Cheers! Alan
My chicken soup may seem a little odd, and it evolved over many years, but many of the recipients have told me that it is the best soup they ever have eaten.

CHICKEN SOUP
1-1/2 ounces arugula, spinach, chopped
1 Roma tomato, chopped
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
Optional: 1/4 red onion; and/or 1/4 red pepper
48 oz chicken broth
500 ml Chardonay
1 Yuengling Light Beer
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 stick butter
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1/2 tablespoon Montreal Steak seasoning
1/2 tablespoon Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup frozen corn
8 ounces of sliced mushrooms
2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, chopped
8 ounces noodles

Blend the arugula, tomato, and walnuts (and red pepper and onion) in several small quantities mixed in with some of the broth into molecule-sized particles in a blender.
Low-boil all ingredients except for chicken, mushrooms, and noodles for 50 minutes.
Add mushrooms at 50 minutes.
Add chicken at 60 minutes.
Add noodles at 70 minutes.
Finish at 80 minutes.
Originally Posted by pertnear
Caldo de-res (beef) & Caldo de-pollo (chicken) - Mexican soups served with a side of corn tortillas & fresh limes.

Salvador restaurant right around the corner from my house serves the best soups in three counties Just like these pictures..
Pepper pot
I don’t have the discerning palette that some of you guys do.

For store bought I’m going with Campbell split pea. That with a grilled cheese is damned hard to beat.

My wife makes a damn good potato soup, and hamburger soup. Used leftover taco meat a few years ago and now that’s how she makes it every time. That and a buttered roll. Hmmmmm
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Salvador restaurant right around the corner from my house serves the best soups in three counties Just like these pictures..
you lucky Bastid'...

This "recipe" is a cry for help.
No.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

you lucky Bastid'...
That dish would shame Martha Stewart!
Originally Posted by sqweeler
Pepper pot

[Linked Image from variety.com]
Chunky cheesy potato soup

1 bag of Hashbrown Obrien's
1 jug of chicken broth (large)
1 can of cream of chicken soupl
1 package of cream cheese
1 package of ranch seasoning
1/2 Vidalia onion
1 cup of mild cheddar cheese
and about two cups of bacon bits.

Cook in a crock pot overnight, stirring occasionally.

My nephew and his wife brought a pot of this to a family dinner back in deer season. It was more than edible, the wife and I love it. It's been offered, with minor variations, on FB quite a bit this fall. Filling, like any potato soup. Easy to fix, too, just dump everything into the crock pot, and cook slow and low for at least six hours.
Don't knock it until you try it !
The tastiest, healthiest soup you'll ever eat

Homegrown banana taters have that semi sweet flavor that complements the fish head n tail, other veggies thicken the soup for a fantastic meal for those cold -40 F winter days

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Originally Posted by Swamplord

Homegrown banana taters have that semi sweet flavor that complements the fish head n tail, other veggies thicken the soup for a fantastic meal for those cold -40 F winter days

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

LIKE!
Made a copy of a famous restaurant's Italian Lintel and Sausage Soup, it taste is very similar to the restaurant's version, that they serve on Thursday.
I add Thai Bird peppers to my bowl.

Most of my soups are a meal in a bowl.
they say that eyeballs are a delicacy... oft saved for honored guests... i can't make it, so Sorry... prior commitments and stuff!...
Originally Posted by Swamplord

That looks tasty
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Chunky cheesy potato soup

1 bag of Hashbrown Obrien's
1 jug of chicken broth (large)
1 package of cream cheese
1 package of ranch seasoning
1/2 Vidalia onion
1 cup of mild cheddar cheese
and about two cups of bacon bits.

Cook in a crock pot overnight, stirring occasionally.

My nephew and his wife brought a pot of this to a family dinner back in deer season. It was more than edible, the wife and I love it. It's been offered, with minor variations, on FB quite a bit this fall. Filling, like any potato soup. Easy to fix, too, just dump everything into the crock pot, and cook slow and low for at least six hours.
I'd try it!
Originally Posted by earlybrd
That looks tasty

😂🤣
Well...it would be a good way to cook the cheek meat.
We get a chicken/wildass rice frozen soup from Fareway that is really good. For homemade, I make a potato/leek soup with small pieces of ring bologna (GOOD ring bologna - coarse ground, not that over-grown hot dog stuff that most stores try to pass off) added in. I boil the ring bologna first to take some grease out of it. I also throw in some small bits of carrot and celery when "transclucencing" the leeks. Just before serving, I add the half & half for a few minutes to get it heated up.
Sounds good too.
I would like to try cooking dal.
Campbells Cream of Mushroom
Corn soup with smoked pork sausage and shrimp! Kee yaw !!
My wife makes a ham bone soup that is very popular here. Lots of cabbage and veggies. She did one today with the Easter ham leftovers.
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
grin Sad.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

It's easy and very hard to screw up.

Plus, there are a bunch of variations.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
grin Sad.
very sad... Campbells was decent when i was a kid... been awful for at least 3 or 4 decades now...
Fish chowder or lobster bisque works for me.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Fish chowder or lobster bisque works for me.
Italian fisherman's stew is delicious, called Cioppino.
No way to clam chowder.

Yes to tomato with grilled cheese samiches.
Very few soups I don't enjoy.
But the topper of no-goes is split pea. sick

We make a pot of something /week in the winter.
Bean and ham,beef barley,gumbo are way up on the favs.
Originally Posted by add

It's easy and very hard to screw up.

Plus, there are a bunch of variations.

Awesome.

They all look pretty good.
Originally Posted by rong

You ain’t the only one brutha.

Hell to the NO.
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Hell to the NO.

grin
I love soups of all kinds. I cannot say I have had a bad one yet.

The stuff in a can doesn’t count.

Jim, an old roommate used to make dal. He learned how in chef school in the UK. You'll think "Ah, this ain't No big deal" when you start eating it. Next thing you know, you've shotgunned 3 bowls of lentils and a full sheet of dal.

And if you've got good hot sauce around, it's waaaay worse.
Mostly what is hot and ready. RZ.
Originally Posted by duke61
Navy bean soup, lentil soup, tomato, chicken noodle almost any soup is great on a cold day.
I have Navy pea beans in the pressure cooker right now with 2 ham hocks from Easter. I couldn't find any dry Lima beans so I had to buy a couple of cans of them to add when the pressure goes down.

I can only eat a big bowl of the beans per day. If I go for 2 bowls I get a bit gassy and even the wife can't stand to be around me. (I think she is there now) Heaven in a bowl.

kwg
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
grin Sad.
very sad... Campbells was decent when i was a kid... been awful for at least 3 or 4 decades now...

Sounds about right. I haven’t had any in 30 years, but the memories are good. Then again, I bought some Spaghetti O’s a couple years ago for some nostalgia and they were complete garbage.

Hell to the NO.

More for me!
Albondigas is also a favorite. I can't find it around here in Texas so get it when I am in Idaho.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Hell to the NO.

More for me!

I love it but it makes me fart like a mule.
Originally Posted by Houser52
Homemade potato soup.
Potatoes cooked in chicken broth. Then add a bit of garlic, onion, cream, butter and browned pork sausage. Salt and pepper to taste. Thicken with corn starch or flour

One of my favorite home made soups, other than beef stew. No onions in my potato soup, though. 😬

Hell to the NO.

+1. 🤮
I make a minestroni that'll blow your socks off. Clam chowder a close second.
Yes. Seafood chowder.

Get the best ingredients possible. This has Japanese scallops, locally caught fresh haddock, locally dug clams and shrimp.

Start your chowder base with salt pork. Render under high heat, then add onions and some garlic.

Add seafood stock, some olive oil and whisk in some flour and butter. When it's time, add your potatoes.

Add your half and half and heavy cream.

Increase heat but do NOT boil.

Add killer protein sea goodies.

Serve with oyster crackers and maybe a plate of locally caught, deep fried striped bass.

Minga, dem clams and all. Fuggetaboutit!
Next level gourmet compared to what I was gonna say...^^^^^^^^

lol
When in Rome.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Originally Posted by SamOlson
When in Rome.

I’d eat that little white dog before I ate clams.

Gross+p+
I'm a bit leery of eating any seafood from Japan these days.
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Yes. Seafood chowder.

Get the best ingredients possible. This has Japanese scallops, locally caught fresh haddock, locally dug clams and shrimp.

Start your chowder base with salt pork. Render under high heat, then add onions and some garlic.

Add seafood stock, some olive oil and whisk in some flour and butter. When it's time, add your potatoes.

Add your half and half and heavy cream.

Increase heat but do NOT boil.

Add killer protein sea goodies.

Serve with oyster crackers and maybe a plate of locally caught, deep fried striped bass.

Minga, dem clams and all. Fuggetaboutit!

Daaaaamn! That made me drool into my beard!
Fat beef cut up in chunks, celery , onion, carrots, tomatoes, tomato sauce. Sometimes a can of corn, and every now and then some okra. Well seasoned with black pepper and Tony Chachere's.
Favorite soup is mushroom. Not the canned or package type! In Europe, soups are popular menu items and every restaurant has a different version. Quite fun and tasty to sample the different varieties and “takes” from each chef.
I love soup! Take me to the finest restaurant and I’ll not get past the soup menu. Had cabbage and bacon and beef with brown broth for supper. There is one bowl of leftovers…probably won’t make it thru the night.

Favorites…Mexican Seven Seas, most any kind of chowder - most favorite - old fashioned southern potato soup.

Least favorite- chicken, turkey or beef noodle. Absolutely the least favorite is cold tomato aspic…retch!
Cream of Mushroom as prepared by a steakhouse on hwy 41 near Danville IL(?)
FANTASTIC, but likely gone.
Homemade Clam chowder, super simple and easy to make.
I also like Wisconsin chili, not sure if that’s the correct name. But Grandma came from there and she is the one who called it that. Basically its a spaghetti soup with burger kidney beans ,tomato sauce( spaghetti sauce thinned), diced tomatoes,onion seasoning. My mom makes it a little on the sweet side and my wife and I make it spicy. Add cornbread and dinner is served.
I love soups and make a lot of them. Well I did before doing carnivore.
My wifes favorite is cheese soup. We used to go to a Mexican restaurant that served it before the entree.
Think a flavorful chicken gravy on the thinner side poured over shredded jack cheese. I can make it for her in less than 10 min and it gets me ……well bonus points 😉
I make chicken stock, by chopping an onion, carrot and a couple of sticks of celery, then adding a bit of salt, a bayleaf, a boiler chicken (much better flavour from an old bird) and enough water to cover in a pressure cooker, I bring it up to pressure and give it 45 minutes.

From there, I put it in the fridge overnight, and next evening I skim off any fat, and take all the meat off the bones, discarding the bones.

I can then use it a number of ways - add some pumpkin perhaps, or some barley and veges, or some potatoes and chicken giblets. I did it just this week with spuds and giblets.

I also do something similar with the last of a leg of ham - bone and all - instead of the chicken. This goes well with a double handful of roasted and peeled chestnuts, or barley, or split peas.

Another one I have been doing as we've come to the end of summer here is really quick and simple: gazpacho. A few tomatoes, half a green capsicum and a cucumber, with a couple of cloves of garlic, some balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Run it in the blender until it is smooth and serve. No cooking required. You can also add a bit of bread if you want it thicker.
Yakamien.
Ramen...

Sometimes I eat it dry, smeared with peanut-butter.
Home made clam chowder and home made beer cheese are my favorites.
Originally Posted by navlav8r
That Progresso clam chowder is good, but my favorite now is the Progresso Chicken & Sausage gumbo. Real tasty.
How about a good wood duck and sausage gumbo with okra, is that soup or stew?
Homemade bean & ham.

Chicken w/rice.

MM
Sounds like a great soup! Never had Wood duck. I like anything Duck though, even Duck eggs!
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler
Yakamien.

That reminds me...I was going to try making that.

I make a similar soup with pork.
I came in hungry so just now I put together some salvage turkey from Christmas, chopped up celery, bell pepper, and onion, a can of store brand cream of chicken, a small amount of left over light red kidney beans and sausage, two slightly expired Rice A Roni single meal chicken flavor packs. It ain't bad and didn't cost much.
Sounds like a great soup! Never had Wood duck. I like anything Duck though, even Duck eggs!
Wood duck is one of the consistently best tasting ducks there is. I've never cleaned on that had eaten any kind fish or shellfish. Teal are real good also but there isn't much to one.
Alan C: My favorites are:
#1 = Manhattan Clam Chowder
#2 = Cream of Potato
#3 = New England Clam Chowder
#4 = Wifes Turkey Noodle Soup
#5 = Chili Con Carne
#6 = My homemade Venison Stew
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
When in Rome.

Gross+p+

LOL

Holy cry!
When in Rome.

Gross+p+

LOL

Holy cry!

Ever since we dissected clams or oysters or what we they were in school I can’t even contemplate it. The smell and texture just…. No.

Funny because I’ve cleaned gutshot critters and hauled off rotten carcasses but it never bugged me as far as eating real meat.
Chowda.

White or red. Razor, horse, geoduck….All make killer chowder.

Love lamb and barley soup.

Split pea would likely round out my top three.

Chili count? It’d be up there as well.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Chowda.

White or red. Razor, horse, geoduck….All make killer chowder.

Love lamb and barley soup.

Split pea would likely round out my top three.

Chili count? It’d be up there as well.

Cincinnati style? Hell yeah!
Ox tail;

Deer & barley;

Short soup / noodle soup;

Chicken noodle;

Cheddar broccoli;

Seafood bisque;

Squash;

Zuppa Toscana;

Potato, bacon & leek or onion chowder;

All homemade - nothing better smile
Totally awesome !!! All winners!!!!
Always wanted to try oxtail. Haven’t yet.
The Ladies Auxiliary of my fire company used to have a soup sale fund raiser twice a year. Made the best vegetable beef soup ever.

It's as good as they say, Gruff !

Process;

Get some She Crab from the Carolina coast and it will be your new favorite.
Bouillabaisse
My Mom's homemade ham and bean soup.

It just keeps getting better day by day in the fridge.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Get some She Crab from the Carolina coast and it will be your new favorite.

One of the VERY few soups I will eat.
Originally Posted by Hastings

Neither, it's a gumbo! LOL

But I will second the goodness of that combo!

Didn't make this 1, but it was fantastic !!

Originally Posted by New_2_99s

It's as good as they say, Gruff !

Process;

Looks delicious! That's one soup I've not made. There's a Jamaican place nearby where I enjoy it.
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Didn't make this 1, but it was fantastic !!

Definitely the correct color roux. But I'm a French bread man when it comes to Gumbo. Cornbread is for shrimp and corn soup.
I assured this was a Wabi thread.
Despite objections here, split pea can be good.
Miso is good.
My fav is Pike Place clam chowder (from that specific restaurant, not just any clam chowder found around Pike Place).
An Instant Pot trick: Save all your vegetable trimmings - potato peels, carrot ends, cabbage hearts, lettuce leaves, tomato scraps - everything. Keep adding to a bag in the freezer. When you have enough bulk toss it in a mesh bag and pressure cook it with a little water to make broth. When done throw out the contents of the bag. Use the broth as a base for about any soup.
Alaneatadik Soup
Does Ramen in the little packets count?
Sure! I think a while back 7mm buster made soup from the ketchup packets from the fast food. He’s a good guy!!
© 24hourcampfire