Home
The guy was a genius and all three studio albums were amazing, but I'm firmly in the Axis:Bold As Love camp.

The songs and the killer guitar tone flying around all over the place and his rythm playing (I said goddam-son!) is just incredible. The artwork is off the charts too!

What's your favorite?

None, unless I'm shooting heroine he wasn't really very talented....unless playing a guitar backwards is considered a skill.
Are You Experienced
can't pick one, so i'll go with The Jimi Hendrix Experience (deluxe edition). 60 songs, some of them were unreleased. Jimi is a God on the guitar. he is number 1 on lead guitar legends.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nr_RlzUckdNOsp_uWvAChLl52D3xkpSiw
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
None, unless I'm shooting heroine he wasn't really very talented....unless playing a guitar backwards is considered a skill.

I love it when the boomers can't help themselves. They can't resist the opportunity to show their a$$ when it presents itself.
Randy California was better guitarist imo.
The Experience
A very troubled young man that left us way to early.
Higginez: Got paid to see Jimi Hendrix perform in 1970 - shortly before his heroin induced death!
Sad that he went from the highest paid instrumentalist ever, and MANY critics acclaim his rendition of the Star Spangled Banner "the greatest performance ever" (I was kind of offended by this rendition!), to dead druggie in just a couple of years.
Did NOT get to see him destroy or set fire to any of his guitars.
His graveside monument is very near my mothers grave in Renton, Washington and I am constantly amazed at how many people venture there to pay homage and to take pictures of his memorial!
I was not on the department yet when Jimi was repeatedly arrested for car thefts and forced to join the Army or be incarcerated!
I really don't have a favorite album - somewhat enjoyed "All Along The Watchtower" (one video of it has over 240,000,000 views to date!).
All druggie deaths are sad - his more so than some.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Heroin?

Hendrix weren't no junky.
His death was not heroin-induced. Indeed on his post-mortem it was noted that there were no signs of intravenous drug use. What he died from was asphyxia from aspiration of vomit, after taking some of his girlfriend's sleeping pills - stronger than the ones he was used to - for the insomnia he'd been suffering.
None, unless I'm shooting heroine he wasn't really very talented....

Don't shoot the heroine please.
I always respected his talent at making noise with the guitar, but couldn't stand his 'music'.
Not my cup of tea.
I'm kinda partial to his Blues album.
Electric Ladyland. He was in control of the recordings rather than some schmuck producer. Some notable guests on the album too.
I had several listened to Experienced Smash Hits the most.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Not my cup of tea.
You
Wabi here's a good song not to hard.
Hotel California was pretty good followed by take the money and run.
Probably Axis.
Just ask the Axis
Originally Posted by nemotheangler

I love it when the boomers can't help themselves. They can't resist the opportunity to show their a$$ when it presents itself.

Not a Boomer, which shows you're an ass....and he was shooting up with Clapton and Allman.

PS: Auto spell on the cell phone changed it to "heroine" Boomers.
Cry of Love
Not an album, but perhaps one of the best rock songs ever!

Not a Boomer, which shows you're an ass....and he was shooting up with Clapton and Allman.

PS: Auto spell on the cell phone changed it to "heroine" Boomers.

LMAO!!!!!!
Best guitar player ever!
Originally Posted by hanco
Best guitar player ever!
How about Stevie Ray Vaughn?
Are You Experienced -1967.

Jimi has influenced a lot of Rockers, I wonder what Rock music would be like today if Jimi would have lived to play on?
Not an album, but I just enjoyed the Hendrix Woodstock performance a couple days ago.
Sha Na Na right before Hendrix was also great show.

He wasn't really very talented?

You just completely lost any credibility whatsoever.
Originally Posted by Riverc
Best guitar player ever!
Best guitar player ever!
Originally Posted by dan_oz
His death was not heroin-induced. Indeed on his post-mortem it was noted that there were no signs of intravenous drug use. What he died from was asphyxia from aspiration of vomit, after taking some of his girlfriend's sleeping pills - stronger than the ones he was used to - for the insomnia he'd been suffering.

His gf gave him too many pills. But alas... he took them.
Jimi was an original.

Strike that. He was THE Original.

SRV was great and certainly had his thing, but he wouldn’t have got there without Experiencing Hendrix.

Not a knock on either and I think most can savvy.
We went to the same High School, albeit 15 years apart.
Y
O
U

A
R
E

O
L
D
!
!
!

H
O
L
Y

S
H
I
T
!
!
!
SRV and Jimi were both originals in their own right, SRV influenced a lot of Rockers as well, how much different would Rock be if both had survived?
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Higginez: Got paid to see Jimi Hendrix perform in 1970 - shortly before his heroin induced death!
Sad that he went from the highest paid instrumentalist ever, and MANY critics acclaim his rendition of the Star Spangled Banner "the greatest performance ever" (I was kind of offended by this rendition!), to dead druggie in just a couple of years.
Did NOT get to see him destroy or set fire to any of his guitars.
His graveside monument is very near my mothers grave in Renton, Washington and I am constantly amazed at how many people venture there to pay homage and to take pictures of his memorial!
I was not on the department yet when Jimi was repeatedly arrested for car thefts and forced to join the Army or be incarcerated!
I really don't have a favorite album - somewhat enjoyed "All Along The Watchtower" (one video of it has over 240,000,000 views to date!).
All druggie deaths are sad - his more so than some.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

We use to sneak into the cemetery at night and smoke joints and leave guitar picks on his head stone.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
SRV and Jimi were both originals in their own right, SRV influenced a lot of Rockers as well, how much different would Rock be if both had survived?

Probably not much different at all. They both had their influence.
Hey Joe,where you going with that gun in your hand.

He was a better studio player but he did give them hell on his own for sure.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Absolutely! My favorite Hendrix song by far. I know it was a remake of Bob Dylan's version, and I am a Dylan fan, but Hendrix's version was just incredible. Crank it up!
Originally Posted by Higginez
Jimi was an original.

SRV was great and certainly had his thing, but he wouldn’t have got there without Experiencing Hendrix.

Well said. For a Californian.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Far and away the best song of the rock era.
There is no such thing.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Jimi was an original.

Well said. For a Californian.

SRV couldn't have happened at a better time.

We were all hoping Clapton and his shoulder pads would come to their senses and do a blues album again. EVH had spawned a bunch of wankers and the shred thing was fizzling. Slash was bringing the heat with G'n'R (almost single handedly resurecting the Gibson Les Paul fwiw) and here comes the smouldering career of SRV with In Step helped along by MTV Unplugged of all things!

I remember hearing Crossfire and Tightrope on classic radio a ton before he died.

Once he was gone, The Sky is Crying hits. Little Wing, WHAM, Life by the Drop! HOLY SCHIDT!

And then Clapton does MTV Unplugged sans shoulder pads and the world loses their minds.

This is all just from the memory of a 15 year old me FWIW.

Hendrix was in his own lane. Left handed musical genius .
I think "Cry of Love" is my favourite studio album, albeit posthumous. "Live at Monterey" is my favourite overall though.
Smash Hits I had that album when it came out, got the 8 track when it came out and I could drive, and still have the Cassette tape, which is in my garage player 24/7!
Since there were ony three studio albums, I'm not going to play favorites. So many other records and compilations released afterwards that are also fabulous. And the bootlegs!
But in terms of performances, my favorite of all time is "Like a Rolling Stone" at Monterey. I have heard he did this as a surprise, and only told the band of it as they were taking the stage, so it's a true improvisation. Guys that play can't help but be amazed at the fills and transitions he weaves into the music. I have to admit I could have done without the gum chewing, but hey, it's magnificent. Might have been less so otherwise - who am I to say.

Cheers,
Rex
I don't remember any specific album or "song" titles because the only things a bit interesting were the unmusical electronic/audio gimmicks and oddball effects. The only interesting thing in memory was when he plucked strings with his teeth.

Musically, none of his stuff carries much weight or importance. A passing fadster.
Best guitar player ever!
Other than strictly personal preference, what data was used to arrive at that declaration?
Originally Posted by CCCC
I don't remember any specific album or "song" titles because the only things a bit interesting were the unmusical electronic/audio gimmicks and oddball effects. The only interesting thing in memory was when he plucked strings with his teeth.

Musically, none of his stuff carries much weight or importance. A passing fadster.

Lol…. I was waiting for this post 😂
The Woodstock album and movie. Hendrix's was the best live electric guitar performance ever.
hopefully the one i never listened too string twanging trash
I was at the Atlanta Pop Festival in 1970. On July 4th, at midnight I saw Jimi play The Star Spangled Banner. What a performance!
Best guitar player ever!
Other than strictly personal preference, what data was used to arrive at that declaration?

Data?? crazy crazy

What kind of data are you looking for?
I don’t think I have ever heard the term "data" used in the context of music theory before.
Hendrix in the West, because it has the live version of Johhny B Goode.
Best one is the one I never heard... Just me, but his music was crap IMHO...
Best guitar player ever!

More clueless.
Originally Posted by hardway

Yep. Knew it was coming. 😂

Originally Posted by Redneck
Best one is the one I never heard... Just me, but his music was crap IMHO...

You did it now, you've lost ALL credibility lololol

Oh the pearl clutching will start by the Fire conservatives: their love for the only black guitarist that lit his instrument on fire and played it with his teeth is undying, his record sales sucked while he was alive...and he considered Billy Gibbons and Duane Allman to be better players, and was completely blown away with Jeff Beck's style and skills. He had serious drug issues, and is said to have been bisexual according to his band mates.

But hey, it must be George Floyd day here...start the reparations lol

PS: Waiting to hear Chet Atkins being the best string picker.
Man....you are a stupid, insecure douche bag.
Man....you are a stupid, insecure douche bag.

Yeah ok twat.....lolol, look who's insecure and butt hurt !!!
Bwanabitch1 is the poster girl for participation trophies.
Bwanabitch1 is the poster girl for participation trophies.

Right, only a select few of the elite are allowed to have opinions here......freedom conservatives my ballz, fuqk off azzhole.
Keep raging little girl.

The feminine approach is bound to work eventually.
Live at the Fillmore East. An extended version of Band of Gypsies. Music was moving to a heavier less psychedelic sound. Favorite version of Hear my train a comin.
Keep raging little girl.

Your mancrush trolling of my every post, is becoming a bit disconcerting at this point.....please take 2 steps backwards. Sitting on Lake Erie with the family awaiting the eclipse, try living life without all the hate....find Jesus bro.
His Blues album, awesome from start to finish. The live version of "hear my train comin" is about as get as it gets with Jimi
A small example of what made Hendrix stand out.

And that is just the rythm parts!
AKCHOPPER: I'll be danged. I walked through that memorial structure once and saw all kinds of little trinkets there - nowadays I just drive by slowly and look at all the young folks (who were not even alive when Jimi was!) that visit there and take pictures and rest there a while. Music can take a funny hold on some people!
By the way I heard that smoking pot would stunt your growth - are you a smaller person?
Just funnin ya. Enjoy Jimi's music if thats your bag.
Still sad that Jimi joined the "27 Club"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Ha Ha Ha, read your own post then recall that boomers were Jimi's audience and embraced his music and made it part of the culture of an era. No flowers in my hair but I did have a bottle of LSA in my helmet band.

mike r
What's your favorite?

I don't really have one. I recognize his talent and innovation, and I "like" his music, however, I was in college in the 80s and they played Hendrix a bit beyond the saturation point on college radio in those days. I haven't recovered from that auditory overdose I guess. I'm a little bit the same with Led Zeppelin. Unless I'm feeling deeply nostalgic at the moment, often if I hear either one, I tend to change stations. I'm kinda getting the same way with Metallica. Which is .. blasphemy.
The New Year’s Eve live recording.

I think he was in a transitional group at the time.

I can’t remember the name of it.

Machine Gun was on it.
Keep raging little girl.

Your mancrush trolling of my every post, is becoming a bit disconcerting at this point.....please take 2 steps backwards. Sitting on Lake Erie with the family awaiting the eclipse, try living life without all the hate....find Jesus bro.

Gawd....you still can't sit down after Flave got done with you!

Hahaha!

Poor democrats.

If you already knew the actualities about his stuff, why did you have to wait?

Originally Posted by local_dirt
Best guitar player ever!
More clueless.
Kindly provide your most erudite explanation for that exclamation of "clueless", preferably emphasizing your musical knowledge and reasoning.
better heard than seen...
People who listen to music - any kind of music - will develop their own likes or dislikes mostly according to their own personal tastes. That is normality, and personal reasoning may range from simply "I just like it (or don't)" all the way over to deep and maybe sophisticated analysis based on some knowledge and skills. Consequently, the personal likes/dislikes can differ widely - as with food, hobbies, entertainment, friends, etc.. Such differences are revealed in this thread.

Some folks here will take the opportunity to disparage, deride and even attack the tastes and comments of another person simply because of differences in their "likes" or "dislikes", but seem to avoid the related questions about their reasoning.

Such derogatory comments/behaviors have little or nothing to do with the qualities of the music itself. But, they seem to show a lot with regard to personal insecurities and maybe smallness of character.
Anyone who thinks Hendrix was only a gimmick player doesn't understand rock guitar (or doesn't like Jimi because he looked like a pimp).
Most of the experience stuff is awesome. The stuff he played with Cox and Miles leaves me flat.

P.S. Mitch Mitchell was a great drummer

Because you’re an old fuddy duddy who can’t resist complaining about any music that Higgenz posts…. It’s funny.

Because you’re an old fuddy duddy who can’t resist complaining about any music that Higgenz posts…. It’s funny.
Actually, this reveals that you know next to nothing about what you just stated - previous postings (or absence thereof) about such music show that you are dead wrong about my basis. Your post above displays ignorance stated as a personal bias - and it illuminates the very essence of the comments about differences in taste. Thanks for the living example.
People who listen to music - any kind of music - will develop their own likes or dislikes mostly according to their own personal tastes. That is normality, and personal reasoning may range from simply "I just like it (or don't)" all the way over to deep and maybe sophisticated analysis based on some knowledge and skills. Consequently, the personal likes/dislikes can differ widely - as with food, hobbies, entertainment, friends, etc.. Such differences are revealed in this thread.

Some folks here will take the opportunity to disparage, deride and even attack the tastes and comments of another person simply because of differences in their "likes" or "dislikes", but seem to avoid the related questions about their reasoning.

Such derogatory comments/behaviors have little or nothing to do with the qualities of the music itself. But, they seem to show a lot with regard to personal insecurities and maybe smallness of character.

Chicken fugger extraordinaire…..

LOL

Can’t make this schidt up!!!!!
Keep raging little girl.

Gawd....you still can't sit down after Flave got done with you!

Hahaha!

Poor democrats.

Diversionary tactics don't work stupid, go fugg a sheep fatboy....I'm sorry your idol boyfriend ran away from the forum, does your woman know how upset you are ?

Best guitar player ever!
More clueless.
Kindly provide your most erudite explanation for that exclamation of "clueless", preferably emphasizing your musical knowledge and reasoning.

Funny how you always espouse your musical knowledge, yet you try to dismember the legacies of some of the most emulated musicians in modern history. I could have made a lot of money betting on your bloated response.

Chicken fugger extraordinaire…..LOL Can’t make this schidt up!!!!!
There was nothing I wished to say to or about you or any other individual except that guitar player in this thread. Now that you have inserted your vulgar response, let it stand as another of the low class "I like what I like for whatever empty reasons and I will attack you if you don't agree" examples - mimicking a charter member of the stoop to ad hominem gang. Nice show. Is this another of your cool gigue clams? Try reading the last sentence of my previous post again - for comprehension this time - and maybe grow up a bit. Still laughing about your juvenile post?

There was nothing I wished to say to or about you or any other individual except that guitar player in this thread. Now that you have inserted your vulgar response, let it stand as another of the low class "I like what I like for whatever empty reasons and I will attack you if you don't agree" examples - mimicking a charter member of the stoop to ad hominem gang. Nice show. Is this another of your cool gigue clams? Try reading the last sentence of my previous post again - for comprehension this time - and maybe grow up a bit. Still laughing about your juvenile post?

You are the one that attacked, you stupid [bleep]. Now fugk off. Get a clue.

Best guitar player ever!
More clueless.
Funny how you always espouse your musical knowledge, yet you try to dismember the legacies of some of the most emulated musicians in modern history. I could have made a lot of money betting on your bloated response.
You may not know the meaning of "espouse", but kindly copy and paste here anything that I said there about anyone's musical knowledge. YOU are the one that brought up the knowledge issue. And, "dismember" is your word too - what a joke. If Hendrix has a worthy legacy I don't know much about it, understand it or care if it exists, let alone try to dismember. You try too hard to give me some credit for something in which I am not even interested. However, I did comment specifically on what I can hear in the recordings - the actual playing - comment based on having heard a lot of really good guitarists. It's simply analysis. Most emulated? By whom, and why?

So, you don't agree, but I made zero comment about your tastes or opinions. What is it in your makeup that agitates you to attack when someone does not agree with your views on a guitar player? Try to make a buck on this post.

Best guitar player ever!
More clueless.
You may not know the meaning of "espouse", but kindly copy and paste here anything that I said there about anyone's musical knowledge. YOU are the one that brought up the knowledge issue. And, "dismember" is your word too - what a joke. If Hendrix has a worthy legacy I don't know much about it, understand it or care if it exists, let alone try to dismember. You try too hard to give me some credit for something in which I am not even interested. However, I did comment specifically on what I can hear in the recordings - the actual playing - comment based on having heard a lot of really good guitarists. It's simply analysis. Most emulated? By whom, and why?

So, you don't agree, but I made zero comment about your tastes or opinions. What is it in your makeup that agitates you to attack when someone does not agree with your views on a guitar player? Try to make a buck on this post.

You are the one that attacked, you stupid [bleep]. Now fugk off. Get a clue.
Another low class and meaningless post - impressive in its own right. Please copy and paste the personal attack in this thread that caused either of you two to go so vulgar.

Best guitar player ever!
More clueless.

You're such a pessimistic old fugk, you don't even realize it. Now fugk off.

PS- I knew you'd be waiting with baited breath, dwelling on my every word.

LMAO.

Best guitar player ever!
More clueless.

LMAO.
I made a bet that you would not be able to re-post what you claimed, but would reply with vulgar, baseless, nasty, empty, meaningless drivel - all 5 - and won. Thanks for the consistency - you are a hero.
Not all Karen's are named Karen, boomers.

The folks that said, "not for me" know how to function. The guys that just want to be negative about his music then argue the point are...boomers.

He might have had a tattoo also! That would really get the boomer crowd on this site stirred up!!

Like it or not, Jimi's name will live on, and you are arguing on the wrong side of that.
Best guitar player ever!
Lotta great guitar players, but Stevie Ray is my all time fave.
Buncha hippies jumpin around twitch'n and flippin screaming making fools of themselves. Sounds like a sack of cats fighting.

Listen to this you'll hear really good 'fast music' - don't bother listening if you're taking pot.

The folks that said, "not for me" know how to function. The guys that just want to be negative about his music then argue the point are...boomers.

He might have had a tattoo also! That would really get the boomer crowd on this site stirred up!!

Like it or not, Jimi's name will live on, and you are arguing on the wrong side of that.
Right - not to my musical liking, and gave brief analysis of what/why. No comments about the guy or his life. I tend to agree with you that the name will live on, along with the guys who don't want to hear the critique.

Right - not to my musical liking, and gave brief analysis of what/why. No comments about the guy or his life. I tend to agree with you that the name will live on, along with the guys who don't want to hear the critique.

Don't GAS about your expurt critique, dumfuk.

Best guitar player ever!
More clueless.

LMAO.
I made a bet that you would not be able to re-post what you claimed, but would reply with vulgar, baseless, nasty, empty, meaningless drivel - all 5 - and won. Thanks for the consistency - you are a hero.

You just don't seem to get it that I have nothing but scorn and wrath for you.
Originally Posted by mrchongo
Best guitar player ever!
Lotta great guitar players, but Stevie Ray is my all time fave.

He's right up there for me, too. It appeared so effortless for him. Used to have a good friend who equally enjoyed Stevie Ray.
Originally Posted by DouginNWPa
Live at the Fillmore East. An extended version of Band of Gypsies. Music was moving to a heavier less psychedelic sound. Favorite version of Hear my train a comin.

Band of Gypsies was excellent. Jimi and Buddy Miles were fast friends back in TN, long before he had the fame.
Well - who would give even a small flip about your vulgar nastiness? You don't seem to understand that your scorn and wrath are important only to you - rough tools in your bag of self-pernicious lashing.
CCCP gonna give us all guilt about our nastiness!

SHEESH!

Making me feel terrible about insulting all the chicken fuggers who don't deserve the ridicule!

Sorry about that chicken fuggers!
Well - who would give even a small flip about your vulgar nastiness? You don't seem to understand that your scorn and wrath are important only to you - rough tools in your bag of self-pernicious lashing.

What part of FUGK OFF Don't you understand?

Old fudd dumfuk.

LMAO that you keep hanging around sniffing my farts.

OUTSTANDING!!!!!
Higz stirring up chit again lol.
Originally Posted by FatCity67

I didn't use ANY of CCCC's buzz words....
Originally Posted by FatCity67

I didn't use ANY of CCCC's buzz words....

Marcuz Dayz Bonquiqui rulz or somsheen?

Actually, this reveals that you know next to nothing about what you just stated - previous postings (or absence thereof) about such music show that you are dead wrong about my basis. Your post above displays ignorance stated as a personal bias - and it illuminates the very essence of the comments about differences in taste. Thanks for the living example.

I bet you’re a real blast at a party 🥴

Just FOAD, dumfuk.

That's a good one. Brings back awesome memories.
Of the three studio? Electric Ladyland by a queef hair over the other two

That's a good one. Brings back awesome memories.
Wrong dirt.
That's a GREAT one. wink
If, and that's a really really big IF, I could only take one of his albums to a deserted isle and live with it for the rest of my life it might be this one. Buddy Miles makes this one even better.

I really feel that the world would never be that cruel.

and If I could bring an extra song it might be this one

or maybe this one (cause sometimes I wonder if they don't want me around)

And seeing as how we live here

Got my own world

Originally Posted by 12344mag
Are You Experienced -1967.

'Scuse me while I kiss this guy.

I bet you’re a real blast at a party 🥴
Good bet - you'd win.
Villanova Junction from Woodstock.

This is the instrumental he riffed in to from the Star Spangled Banner.

Hauntingly beautiful, slow jam with no gimmicks just great guitar playing.
Originally Posted by BlackHunter

Should listen to Steve Vai's Tender Surrender, he based it off Villanova Junction
Originally Posted by Valsdad

First LP Iever bought, Geno.

Love SRV's El Macombo version.

First LP Iever bought, Geno.

1968, parochial school dance, one of my good friend brought that album in. One of the guys that was in the crowd, along with me, that was always on the nuns' scheidt list. When I first saw that cover I said to him, "what kind of negro ( maybe a different word at that time) music are you bringing in here". He said wait until you listen to it.

Might have been the first, or maybe the second album I ever bought. Creedence may have been the first, that was a long long time ago and many brain cells have perished since that time.
Band of Gypsys

Hendrix and Buddy Miles

What?
Electric Ladyland
Geno, a lot of my brain cells got left on the floor back then, too. I think maybe, Credence Clearwater, Iron Butterfly, Black Sabbath and Jethro Tull were among those other first five. Totally sure I was driving my parents nuts.
None for me
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard

What?
The fact that a person likes some performer is good. Others may not like as much, or not at all. Normal.

Some critique a performer and explain what/why they like. Others critique less favorably and explain why. Normal.

Some who like a certain performer react emotionally/childishly/nastily to another person's critique of that performer.
Instead of grasping reality and behaving as an adult, they attack/deride/get vulgar toward the person who says something they don't want to hear. Abnormal - sign of an immature and insecure person.

See the posts.
Originally Posted by killerv
Originally Posted by BlackHunter

Should listen to Steve Vai's Tender Surrender, he based it off Villanova Junction

Thank you killerv - great recommendation.

What?
The fact that a person likes some performer is good. Others may not like as much, or not at all. Normal.

Some critique a performer and explain what/why they like. Others critique less favorably and explain why. Normal.

Some who like a certain performer react emotionally/childishly/nastily to another person's critique of that performer.
Instead of grasping reality and behaving as an adult, they attack/deride/get vulgar toward the person who says something they don't want to hear. Abnormal - sign of an immature and insecure person.

See the posts.

Okay thanks for clarifying. I see what you are talking about all the time on guitar forums.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

What?

See the posts.

GFY, you old turd.

Clear enough?

Lol.
What I find rather interesting, at least to me, is that Jimi Hendrix claimed that Terry Kath and Chicago were better performers than he. I liked both very much. Yes, different styles, but why cannot one enjoy different styles? I like semi-auto pistols and revolvers, bolt action and semi-auto rifles, etc. Why not various styles of music?
Originally Posted by Henryseale
What I find rather interesting, at least to me, is that Jimi Hendrix claimed that Terry Kath and Chicago were better performers than he. I liked both very much. Yes, different styles, but why cannot one enjoy different styles? I like semi-auto pistols and revolvers, bolt action and semi-auto rifles, etc. Why not various styles of music?

Terry Kath was a hell of a player, gets very little recognition for his work.....died to early also.

What?

See the posts.
GFY, you old turd. Clear enough? Lol.
Well BH and any others, if you wish further understanding, this guy jumped up and provided an excellent example:

"Some who like a certain performer react emotionally/childishly/nastily to another person's critique of that performer.
Instead of grasping reality and behaving as an adult, they attack/deride/get vulgar toward the person who says something they don't want to hear. Abnormal - sign of an immature and insecure person."
Originally Posted by longarm

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Ha,

I'm not going to dig through my box(es) of vinyl to look for mine wink
If Jimi wasn't pretty good.............................

would he have jammed with folks like this?

Have you played with people like Roland Kirk?

“Oh yeah, I had a jam with him at Ronnie Scott’s in London, and I really got off. It was great. It was really great. I was so scared! It’s really funny – I mean Roland, that cat gets all those sounds. I might just hit one note, and it might be interfering, but we got along great, I thought. He told me I should have turned it up.”

Have you jammed with Larry Coryell, Sonny Sharrock, and people like that?

“Larry and I had, like, swift jams down at The Scene, but I haven’t had a chance to really play with him. I sort of miss that. Who’s the other guy? I think I’ve heard some of his things.”

Sonny Sharrock? He’s all over the guitar. Sometimes, it sounds like it’s not too orderly.

“Sounds like someone we know, huh? [laughs]”

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/jimi-hendrix-1970-interview

Have you played with people like Roland Kirk?

“Oh yeah, I had a jam with him at Ronnie Scott’s in London, and I really got off. It was great. It was really great. I was so scared! It’s really funny – I mean Roland, that cat gets all those sounds. I might just hit one note, and it might be interfering, but we got along great, I thought. He told me I should have turned it up.”

Have you jammed with Larry Coryell, Sonny Sharrock, and people like that?

“Larry and I had, like, swift jams down at The Scene, but I haven’t had a chance to really play with him. I sort of miss that. Who’s the other guy? I think I’ve heard some of his things.”

Sonny Sharrock? He’s all over the guitar. Sometimes, it sounds like it’s not too orderly.

“Sounds like someone we know, huh? [laughs]”

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/jimi-hendrix-1970-interview

Geno, thank you for bringing up Rahsaan Roland Kirk and Larry Coryell!

Haven't listened to them in a while. Need to dig them out and get a head full.

^ ^ ^
Knows at least 20 musicians in his own circle, with more talent than Prince!
Originally Posted by add

^ ^ ^
Knows at least 20 musicians in his own circle, with more talent than Prince!
There are lots of folks with innate "talent", but musicianship goes way beyond that. We have thousands of actual accomplished musicians - who can read written music at sight, write arrangements, play in tune, improvise artistically, etc.. Prince had some talent and was a self-made commercial success but, in a truly musical sense, he couldn't carry their instrument cases.
If sight reading music is high on your list it’s no wonder you don’t get Hendrix or even Prince.

Classically trained doesn’t hold any weight now days and for good reason.

Painful as that is for CCCC, it’s the dang truth.

If Jimi wasn't pretty good, this thread wouldn't exist.
If sight reading music is high on your list it’s no wonder you don’t get Hendrix or even Prince.

It may be your personal truth, but it sure isn't "the dang truth". Once again, you are exposing your ignorance about the music universe beyond frets and 6 strings (as you have in past threads).

Open your brain for a change - consider the fact that having high regard for the ability to sight read, write well, listen and play cohesively with others, improvise effectively in the moment on some new changes, etc. does not mean "classically trained". It means well trained musically, and most of that is self training. Excellent music learning/training does not in any way prevent one from hearing, analyzing and assessing what a rock guitar player is doing. Keen listening is what expert musicians do, and those abilities in assessing a rock player are very much aided by the learned traits noted above.

For example, how does an expert mechanic's precise knowledge of the venturi effect, the atomization process and vaporization interfere with his ability to diagnose and replace a bad fuel filter. Try to get the concept.

You use that term "get" about certain players. What does your term "get" mean? If it means hear, analyze, understand and assess according to recognized standards - you are dead wrong with your statement about "classical" training and holding weight. Well trained music folks easily get rock - much of it is rather elementary.

If your "get" simply means "like, admire, enjoy" a player and appreciate that with other such fans - that is understandable, but that concept is a very different matter. The well trained musician can "get" in that form - might "get" a weak or limited player - even though that listener may be very well trained way beyond the level of the performer. Understanding a rock performance is one thing - critiquing and liking it is something else. That realm is a matter of individual or group taste - an open field - no rights or wrongs. Just opinions. We all have those.

As ever and of course, you are welcome to your likes. That has nothing to do with other persons' assessments and likes. If another person applies techniques and standards different from or beyond yours, that gives you nothing - except maybe the opportunity to learn something.

If you are offended because someone else critiques one of your favorites, your taking offense is a matter within and about you - not the other person. Only a fool lowers himself to slinging mud or insults at another person on the basis of such ignorance. Get it?
TLDR
I think probably will change my vote to Are You Experienced.

If was the first rock album I ever had.

Turned into me buying pretty much everything that was available.

Even have the four cd box set.
I see you can still buy that box set....and it's like 40 bucks now.

I think I payed way more for it when it came out.
TLDR
Well, it does take some effort and comprehension to learn. Your loss.
I see you can still buy that box set....and it's like 40 bucks now.

I think I payed way more for it when it came out.
Funny how things work out sometimes, eh?

It may be your personal truth, but it sure isn't "the dang truth". Once again, you are exposing your ignorance about the music universe beyond frets and 6 strings (as you have in past threads).

Open your brain for a change - consider the fact that having high regard for the ability to sight read, write well, listen and play cohesively with others, improvise effectively in the moment on some new changes, etc. does not mean "classically trained". It means well trained musically, and most of that is self training. Excellent music learning/training does not in any way prevent one from hearing, analyzing and assessing what a rock guitar player is doing. Keen listening is what expert musicians do, and those abilities in assessing a rock player are very much aided by the learned traits noted above.

For example, how does an expert mechanic's precise knowledge of the venturi effect, the atomization process and vaporization interfere with his ability to diagnose and replace a bad fuel filter. Try to get the concept.

You use that term "get" about certain players. What does your term "get" mean? If it means hear, analyze, understand and assess according to recognized standards - you are dead wrong with your statement about "classical" training and holding weight. Well trained music folks easily get rock - much of it is rather elementary.

If your "get" simply means "like, admire, enjoy" a player and appreciate that with other such fans - that is understandable, but that concept is a very different matter. The well trained musician can "get" in that form - might "get" a weak or limited player - even though that listener may be very well trained way beyond the level of the performer. Understanding a rock performance is one thing - critiquing and liking it is something else. That realm is a matter of individual or group taste - an open field - no rights or wrongs. Just opinions. We all have those.

As ever and of course, you are welcome to your likes. That has nothing to do with other persons' assessments and likes. If another person applies techniques and standards different from or beyond yours, that gives you nothing - except maybe the opportunity to learn something.

If you are offended because someone else critiques one of your favorites, your taking offense is a matter within and about you - not the other person. Only a fool lowers himself to slinging mud or insults at another person on the basis of such ignorance. Get it?

Heavily invested, in how much he doesn't know...
Originally Posted by add

Heavily invested, in how much he doesn't know...
And aren't we all? Now, explain how you know that and we might be impressed.
CCCCC gonna tell us which Hendrix album he's fond of any minute now....

LMAO!

What a douche.
Come on now CCCC, which Hendrix album is your fav?

We are all waiting with baited breath.

I'd actually like to know your favorites.

Petra?

Michael W. Smith?

LOL
© 24hourcampfire