Home
I am sick of HP printers, its a constant ink grift, The machine constantly has you push a button because it only has black ink left. Its like I need more reminding. If I click cancel print on the printer, I have to do it for every page and it keeps printing. thus using even more ink up for pages I didn't want printed. what do you guys do when your sick of HP printer BS
Brother laser...period..got 4 of em
I dont use color, but they have em
Get 12000 pages per cartridge
Epson, Canon, Brother, Kodak...

or buy a laser printer.
I've been happy with my Brother for years, but when my current ink cartridges go dry (soon now) I'm going to get an Epson Eco-Tank like my wife has.
I've been happy with my Brother for years, but when my current ink cartridges go dry (soon now) I'm going to get an Epson Eco-Tank like my wife has.
I recently switched to a Canon laser. B&W only, but fast, and no ink to dry out.

I am totally fed up with HP printers, for all the reasons mentioned, and more. Never again.
HP printers are amazing amazing how they can constantly say that they’re low on ink and you only print a couple pages.$100 a shot for cartridge’s and in couple weeks of very little printing be low again.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Just be sure to print test page once a weak to keep the heads clean.
If you can live without color get a cheap mono printer[Brother]
Just buy a new $50 printer every year.

Listen to what elon musk says about your kazy ass working from home
Brother Laser
My HP office jet 8610 has separate tanks for each color. I use inexpensive aftermarket inks from Amazon.

This pack is $25.
[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

You will have to search for your printer model.

The alternative from HP is $180 and it only has one black tank, which I use the most of.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]
Have a Brother Color that work gave me.
I hate the damn thing.
I have a brother laser under the desk that I’m about to hook back up.
'
Unless you REALLY need color, get a Brother laser printer.
Your ink tank and printhead problems will be a thing of the past.

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-2280DW-Wireless-Monochrome-Multifunction/dp/B004QM8J8S

I like a flat bed scanner feature like the one above and check to see if generic toner cartridges are available before you buy.
Generic carts are about 1/3 the cost of genuine carts and work just as well in my experience.
Good I thought it was just me that hated hp. It’s literally cheaper to buy a new printer when it runs out of ink
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I am sick of HP printers, its a constant ink grift, The machine constantly has you push a button because it only has black ink left. Its like I need more reminding. If I click cancel print on the printer, I have to do it for every page and it keeps printing. thus using even more ink up for pages I didn't want printed. what do you guys do when your sick of HP printer BS

I just ordered but have not received three color cartridges for my HP printer. It like yours will only print in black and keeps giving me warnings of low ink levels. When I run a report it still has ink levels at around 15% for those color cartridges. I tried shaking them like we use to in the old days but now luck.

I purchased refilled cartridges at $90.00 ea. in lieu of paying $151.00 for new HP cartridges. I hope they work.
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Good I thought it was just me that hated hp. It’s literally cheaper to buy a new printer when it runs out of ink
'
It's even smarter to not buy an HP inkjet in the first place.
The tricolor cart models are the worst for getting butt-reamed by Mr. HP
They test their new machines and ink concoctions about 2 miles from my location.
I worked for over 30 years for HP and the majority was for the printer division and specifically the dry toner, aka LaserJet, cartridge R&D section. I do not like nor would ever buy an ink jet printer for numerous reasons. On the other hand, one of my responsibilities was evaluating test results from our competitor's dry toner printers. My data is dated, I retired 12 years ago. The results I saw clearly showed HP LaserJet had the best products in the areas of print quality, reliability, and feature richness. At that time Brother was at the bottom of the list in most areas we tested.

Printers stop printing due to liability issues and lord knows EVERYONE want to sue the big corporations. HP started doing this after a Canadian ad campaign where they stated, "Always clear, always sharp" and the only way we, the engineers could meet this claim is to stop when toner supplies are low.

Printers use the razor/razor blade business model. They make very little on the printer and the profits come from the supplies.

One of my last projects was a dry toner printer design which contained a lifetime supply of toner. The user would pay for the toner they used, no toner cartridge changes. Of course this never was implemented although I'm listed on several patents. The supply chain hated the idea due to the loss of their revenue stream.

I absolutely threw my HP out the front door and watched it break into a million pieces. God, did I hate that POS.
Bought an Epson Ecotank, and have not been happier. Have been using it almost a year, and have yet to fill up the tanks. They say it's good for several thousand pages, and I believe them. Excellent printer and would buy it again tomorrow,
Another thumbs up for the Epson Eco Tank. My wife was burning through cartridges left and right on her old printer. Bought an Eco Tank a little over a year ago. Within two years the savings on ink will have paid for the printer
Just looked at some Brother laser printers online. Seem fine until you get to the fine print where they require a monthly subscription billed automatically or they disable the printer. Nope.
We just threw away our third HP, and now have a Canon, (PIXMA) which so far actually prints from our desktop, and phones.
Funny,my HP is on the fritz right now.
Been trying to figure what to get to replace it.
Just looked at some Brother laser printers online. Seem fine until you get to the fine print where they require a monthly subscription billed automatically or they disable the printer. Nope.
'
We've been running Brother laser printers for years and have never run into this nonsense.
In fact, using generic toner cartridges, it seems like printing for free, compared to inkjets.
Had a color laser jet 2695dn just for household use and it quit the red shades due to some dust or dirt on a sensor or lens somewhere in the heart of the machine. Seems near complete assembly is needed to rectify things and without knowledge of how/where all the clips, snaps, latches and hinges are to be found, I'd probably wreck some component if I ripped into it. I found a pdf on how to do the job and it sounded like about a full day effort. HP would not service it themselves, so it's parked and replaced with a tiny Epson ET-3760. Need to pack the HP off to some recycling center. The Epson is OK but does not generate what I'd consider publication quality.

Use high end HP units at work and they do a beautiful job. Those, however, get a couple thousand bucks of service on an annual basis.
If you opt for an inkjet, get a tank type. There are a number of good ones on the market. I have a Canon Pixma 6020 that works very well and uses no expensive cartridges. Just refill the tanks with cheap ink as needed.
HP or Lexmark laser.
Brothers printers work and won't break you.
^^ x2

Consider ink refill kits from someone like inkowl. They sell their own refillable cartridges, but also, you can refill existing cartridges with ink they sell by drilling a hole and taping it off.
I just bought a canon with the ink tanks. I holds a LOT of ink.
Originally Posted by RogueHunter

I absolutely threw my HP out the front door and watched it break into a million pieces. God, did I hate that POS.
Bought an Epson Ecotank, and have not been happier. Have been using it almost a year, and have yet to fill up the tanks. They say it's good for several thousand pages, and I believe them. Excellent printer and would buy it again tomorrow,

Btw, a complete set ink bottles, contains 3 colors and 2 black inks, sells for $21 on Amazon. I bought this spare set and am nowhere near ready to use them yet.
I currently don't have an HP printer, but some of the older ones had the default setting where it used the color cartridge to make black ink. That was the default. You had to change it to a setting where when it printed black, it used the black cartridge. miles
We went through the same deal. The HP cartridges seem to be lasting less and less. The printer works great but having to shell out 60 bucks for a 2 pack cartrige every 3 months was stupid. One one trip to staples a year ago to get another cartridge pack I looked at printers and bought a Cannon ink tank for $230. Still on the original ink and prints just as good as the HP. It's already paid for itself.
Originally Posted by Sauer200
Just be sure to print test page once a weak to keep the heads clean.

I just got an Epson ET-2400 last week. I was wondering about the ink gunking up in them as I don't need to print that often and most of that is black & white. I will try and remember to run a test page every week. Thanks for the tip.
Brother laser is the ONLY answer
I went Laser Jet to get away from the ink jet issues.
Went to using a Brother printer and NEVER looked back.
Originally Posted by milespatton
I currently don't have an HP printer, but some of the older ones had the default setting where it used the color cartridge to make black ink. That was the default. You had to change it to a setting where when it printed black, it used the black cartridge. miles

Yep, process black. Send a print job with any color and the machine uses process black.

That was always a issue with billing, customer complains about all the color "clicks" they're billed saying we never run color jobs. That b/w print job had a few color pixels somewhere....so the box counts it as color. Some professional (production) machines could differentiate and "grade" the job.

Most print drivers have a toggle setting somewhere for b/w only.
Originally Posted by milespatton
Most printers are like that. They mix the colors for black when printing in color and only use the black ink when you switch to to black or grayscale. As a result, my Canon tanks use very little black. The bottles are cheapest in sets and always come with black. I have 3 or 4 extra black bottles now.

HINT: If you don't print a lot, the heads can dry up and get clogged. On the Canon tank printers, the heads are easy to clean but you have to buy a cleaning kit. Prevention is better. Find a large full color photo and save it where you can print it easily. About once a week, print it both in color and in black and white. That will give the heads a good sloshing out.
I bought $70 HP printer at Costco and buy ink off ebay for $12 per XL cartridge. It complains the cartridges aren't HP or are refilled but it still prints.
I like my Brother Laser printer but it just stopped working. It will not turn on, no lights, no noise, nothing.
I’ve tried a different outlet and the online trouble shooting tips.

Any ideas what might be wrong?
My HP just died after just buying 4 new cartridges. I had 3 HP printers and hated them all. Last HP was bought when I was out of town, or I would only have owned 2.
I bought a Cannon with ink wells. Ink is in pretty large bottles, and I guess lasts years. Cost per page is supposedly the cheapest in that class. Ink bottles were cheap at walmart. Only had it a week, but it did well so far. If the cannon pukes I won't get a HP, I'll try another brand.
The mx920 cannon printers with the cheap Amazon ink has always been solid for me. I get about 6 years out of them but we print a bunch. 160 page closing document was no problem for it.
Do you think gas is expensive? A couple years ago, someone calculated the price/gallon of ink in those cartridges. It came to a bit over $1000/gal. Ink for the tank printers costs a very small fraction of that.
Tag......got an HP on it's last leg as we speak.
I'd have to go look. It and the Apple desktop are my wife's domain. All I know is it prints from my Apple laptop when I need it to. When needed she has me order non-OEM cartridges from Amazon.
I bought an Epson printer and bottles of ink. They are now in a box in the wifes garage. It's a POS.
Originally Posted by Houser52
I like my Brother Laser printer but it just stopped working. It will not turn on, no lights, no noise, nothing.
I’ve tried a different outlet and the online trouble shooting tips.

Any ideas what might be wrong?
If the power company hit you with a surge, that will kill them if they are not surge protected.
We leave our Brother laser turned off when not in use and that might make a difference with power surges.
We've had one for about 9 years now and it just works.

We bought this printer (HL 2280 DW) during a promotion for $49.99
The current new model sells for $199.00 so it was a really good deal.
The wife goes to pick it up and calls me all flustered, "It doesn't print in color !"
I replied, "What do we need color for ?"
She says, "Well, I don't know."

I got onto this Brother laser model through talking with the local Cartridge World refill store manager.
He told me which laser printer to get that used easy to refill toner cartridges.
Talk to your local refiller and they will know which printers are giving good service life.
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Another thumbs up for the Epson Eco Tank. My wife was burning through cartridges left and right on her old printer. Bought an Eco Tank a little over a year ago. Within two years the savings on ink will have paid for the printer

That's what I bought too. I like it and never had any qualms about using an inkjet for light duty printing.
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Brother laser is the ONLY answer

I've got several of these. Got them when I use to work for Pitney a second time from 1995 to 2000.

what I use for my business is a Laser Printer, made private label for PB. The one I have hooked to that computer for billing, is over 25 years old. Ink cartridges are available remanufactured on line for pretty cheap. You can buy them rebuilt and they fill them with " ink" actually a powder, holding about 400% of what a new one costs, at a fraction of the price of a new one. I've got 3 more setting on the shelf.

For my wife and son's use, I picked up an Eco Tank at Costco, which is activated for their use at 2 different parts of the house, via WiFi. The ink for that one is cheap and long lasting also.

Printers have not been a problem in this house at all. With the Brother manufactured one, I print thousands of targets off the internet per annum.
for years I always used the scanner on my printers. It really sucked when having to send 2 sided bank statements to my mortgage guy and accountant. last summer I bought a scan snap. its a dedicated scanner. That thing kicks total and complete ass. I can scan 80 pages front to back in like 30 seconds probably less and they scan perfectly. if you do much scanning. its highly worth it. it scanned a bunch of family pics, the photos were all different sizes. its just ate up all of them and scanned them like it was no big deal.

I think when I get another printer I am going epson eco tank.
© 24hourcampfire