-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just looked at some Brother laser printers online. Seem fine until you get to the fine print where they require a monthly subscription billed automatically or they disable the printer. Nope.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
We just threw away our third HP, and now have a Canon, (PIXMA) which so far actually prints from our desktop, and phones.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Funny,my HP is on the fritz right now.
Been trying to figure what to get to replace it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Just looked at some Brother laser printers online. Seem fine until you get to the fine print where they require a monthly subscription billed automatically or they disable the printer. Nope.
'
We've been running Brother laser printers for years and have never run into this nonsense.
In fact, using generic toner cartridges, it seems like printing for free, compared to inkjets.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a color laser jet 2695dn just for household use and it quit the red shades due to some dust or dirt on a sensor or lens somewhere in the heart of the machine. Seems near complete assembly is needed to rectify things and without knowledge of how/where all the clips, snaps, latches and hinges are to be found, I'd probably wreck some component if I ripped into it. I found a pdf on how to do the job and it sounded like about a full day effort. HP would not service it themselves, so it's parked and replaced with a tiny Epson ET-3760. Need to pack the HP off to some recycling center. The Epson is OK but does not generate what I'd consider publication quality.

Use high end HP units at work and they do a beautiful job. Those, however, get a couple thousand bucks of service on an annual basis.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you opt for an inkjet, get a tank type. There are a number of good ones on the market. I have a Canon Pixma 6020 that works very well and uses no expensive cartridges. Just refill the tanks with cheap ink as needed.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
HP or Lexmark laser.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Brothers printers work and won't break you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
^^ x2

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Consider ink refill kits from someone like inkowl. They sell their own refillable cartridges, but also, you can refill existing cartridges with ink they sell by drilling a hole and taping it off.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought a canon with the ink tanks. I holds a LOT of ink.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RogueHunter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I am sick of HP printers, its a constant ink grift, The machine constantly has you push a button because it only has black ink left. Its like I need more reminding. If I click cancel print on the printer, I have to do it for every page and it keeps printing. thus using even more ink up for pages I didn't want printed. what do you guys do when your sick of HP printer BS

I absolutely threw my HP out the front door and watched it break into a million pieces. God, did I hate that POS.
Bought an Epson Ecotank, and have not been happier. Have been using it almost a year, and have yet to fill up the tanks. They say it's good for several thousand pages, and I believe them. Excellent printer and would buy it again tomorrow,

Btw, a complete set ink bottles, contains 3 colors and 2 black inks, sells for $21 on Amazon. I bought this spare set and am nowhere near ready to use them yet.

- Rogue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I currently don't have an HP printer, but some of the older ones had the default setting where it used the color cartridge to make black ink. That was the default. You had to change it to a setting where when it printed black, it used the black cartridge. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We went through the same deal. The HP cartridges seem to be lasting less and less. The printer works great but having to shell out 60 bucks for a 2 pack cartrige every 3 months was stupid. One one trip to staples a year ago to get another cartridge pack I looked at printers and bought a Cannon ink tank for $230. Still on the original ink and prints just as good as the HP. It's already paid for itself.

living the good life every day
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Sauer200
I've been happy with my Brother for years, but when my current ink cartridges go dry (soon now) I'm going to get an Epson Eco-Tank like my wife has.
Just be sure to print test page once a weak to keep the heads clean.

I just got an Epson ET-2400 last week. I was wondering about the ink gunking up in them as I don't need to print that often and most of that is black & white. I will try and remember to run a test page every week. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by RJY66; 04/16/24.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Brother laser is the ONLY answer

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I went Laser Jet to get away from the ink jet issues.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Went to using a Brother printer and NEVER looked back.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by milespatton
I currently don't have an HP printer, but some of the older ones had the default setting where it used the color cartridge to make black ink. That was the default. You had to change it to a setting where when it printed black, it used the black cartridge. miles

Yep, process black. Send a print job with any color and the machine uses process black.

That was always a issue with billing, customer complains about all the color "clicks" they're billed saying we never run color jobs. That b/w print job had a few color pixels somewhere....so the box counts it as color. Some professional (production) machines could differentiate and "grade" the job.

Most print drivers have a toggle setting somewhere for b/w only.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by milespatton
Most printers are like that. They mix the colors for black when printing in color and only use the black ink when you switch to to black or grayscale. As a result, my Canon tanks use very little black. The bottles are cheapest in sets and always come with black. I have 3 or 4 extra black bottles now.

HINT: If you don't print a lot, the heads can dry up and get clogged. On the Canon tank printers, the heads are easy to clean but you have to buy a cleaning kit. Prevention is better. Find a large full color photo and save it where you can print it easily. About once a week, print it both in color and in black and white. That will give the heads a good sloshing out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

740 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,844
Posts18,478,277
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.