Home
Posted By: johnw flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
i'm up early today... gotta catch a shuttle into chicago and fly out east on business for the day....
i go through this every time i fly now, but i'm [i]stressed[/i] about going without a knife in my pocket.....

rambo i am not... not in any way shape or form, but i carry a knife... usually one of the slimmer swiss army knves... sometimes even their smallest one... the one thats 8 bucks at walmart with a 1 1/2" blade and a nail file...
but i carry a knife..... got a dresser drawer full ...gerbers, bucks, schrades, hen and roosters, kissing cranes....

it goes in my pants before my wallet.... i'd rather go without my wallet.....

if this is what America has become in the face of an attack with box cutters, what in the sam hell will we do when someone of serious military means hits us???

i think that we need some serious reorganization, as a nation....
sadly i don't see anything good happening soon... worse before it gets better, maybe???

maybe send this as an editorial to the local paper when i get back....
Posted By: Lslite Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
+ 1
Posted By: Odessa Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
+2 - We have become a nation of "Chicken Little's". I go through a "de-fanging" process before flying (rarely fly anymore) and even to go into my daughters high school. Our local county courthouse and hospital emergency room uses walk through metal detectors. I was scanned the last time I went to a Braves game in Atlanta and patted down at the Carolina Panthers game this past Monday night (I had my pocket knife at that one, but they were only patting for handguns). My current pocket knife is a small Case knife - I would love to see the list of American citizens who have used a pocket knife to hijack an airplane. Odessa
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
Johnw, I feel your angst. This past August, I had to fly to Germany, and then Greece without my 'pocket protector'. I had several knives that I packed in my checked luggage, and after clearing customs, I got a CRKT M16 back into my pocket.

In Kusadasi Turkey, coming back from visiting the ruins of Ephesus, I was detained by Turkish security when I went to re board my cruise ship. I forgot I left the ship with the knife, and was nailed by the metal detector. Alarms went off, and guys with MP5s came running. Hey, I'm not kidding either!
I was taken to small room, and questioned by an Army Lt. He asked why I was carrying a knife in Turkey. I said 'to clean my fingernails'. He was not amused, but in the end, after some delay, they released me, and I was even able to get my CRKT back, once the ship had cleared Turkish waters.
Posted By: Pugs Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
I have one of these on each of my keychains

http://www.swisstechtools.com/productdetail.aspx?PID=VZ75GDTdP68A

I have traveled all over the civilized and uncivilized world and carried them on commercial airliners for the last 10 years and no one has ever batted an eye. Just looks like another key and it's as handy as a swiss army knife.

No, it's not a self defense blade but it works fine for what I use a pocket know for.
Posted By: btb375 Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
Know just how you feel. I hate not having my knife.
If I fly with checked bags, I stow a small knife in a bag so as to have one when I arrive.
Posted By: T LEE Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
Too bad the link to order don't work.
Posted By: Pugs Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
Originally Posted by T LEE

I think I got mine from A.G. Russell and I see they don't carry it any more but if you Google swisstech there are lots of places to get them. Here's another.

http://www.knivesplus.com/SWISSTECH.HTML
Thanks Pugs, I just ordered 2.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
Now that little SwissTech 'key' is just what I have been wanting. Like Terry, I just ordered two.
Posted By: tzone Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
Felt the same way when I flew to Atlanta to visit friends last winter. The only time I've been without a knife in ten years.

I'd almost rather go without clothes....almost.
Posted By: leopardprey Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
Yeah, I remember flying all over the world prior to 911 with my Spyderco Delica put in my carry on bag.

Completely ridiculous that you can not take even a Swiss Army Knife with you on your carry on. I mean a Swiss Army Knife! Not a box cutter or a locked blade. Still traveling internationally many many times since 911, just now have to put my knives in my Checked bag.
Posted By: ConradCA Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
You might want to consider getting one of the plastic "letter openers". These are pretty cheap and in some respects are just as effective as a steel knife for self defense.

I am not sure about the legality of carrying these on a plane. They are plastic and wont show up on a metal scan and or (I think) on the bagage scanners.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
Thanks Pugs. They are going to make great stocking stuffers.

Mike
Posted By: 1akhunter Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
i hear you boys, grew up on a farm, if you didn't have a pocketknife you were handicapped, scrape acid off battery terminals on the tractor, cut binder twine to feed hay, get a splinter out, cut a pig, cut a piece of shirt off to use as a bandage if you got buggered up away from the house and it'd be awhile before you got back, etc. etc. etc.

have lived in AK some time now, never blinked an eye when I'd travel with my 3 7/8 lock back, well until I got out in America, then the hassles would begin.

so I bought a little Kershaw specifically for flying, itty bitty thing, now I can't even take that??? freaking maroons

my first thought when hearing about flight 93 and the passengers rushing the bastids armed with boxcutters was I'd slice me off a couple of seat belts and go after Achmed with his box cutter aiming to put knots on his head faster than he could rub them.

I hate not having a knife on me, even a little one.

as an aside on the link Allen gave, those look similar to the little micro tool I take sheep hunting but different brand name Seber IIRC, not the key, the plier gizmos.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
I cant stand being knifeless either, makes me feel almost nekkid!
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
Like you guys, I believe that a gentleman always has a pocketknife - and a clean handkerchief.

On a visit to New Jersey once, I panicked about five minutes after I checked my bag. Knife still in pocket, and me in the security line. Crap. I dropped the thin little single-blade folder into my carry-on bag and hoped for the best.

Sure enough, I'm putting on my shoes when a huge TSA guy asks me if that's my bag.

Yessir, why?
The scanner shows there may be a knife in it.
Really? I don't think so, but anything can happen, I guess. If there is, it's gone through three security checks in two days.

He arched his eyebrows and started a hand search. To my hopefully hidden relief, he didn't find it. I shrugged and said, Well, I don't fit any of your profiles, anyway, do I?

He made a microscopic smile, stopped searching, and handed me the bag. Have a nice flight, sir.
Posted By: Dave@az Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
I also go every day with my SAK in my pocket,not to long ago I went to a Concert in Vegas to see CSNY and got caught at the entrance, they wanted my knife,I asked what the were going to do with it they said "Throw it away" I said NFW! Had to go to security drop it off and return after to retrieve it!!!!
Uh huh. Just like at airports, "Throw it away" means drop all the good ones into the guard's pocket.
Posted By: Dave@az Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
Like when the local PD would confiscate our BEER? Waaaaay back when!
Posted By: twodogs Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
I haven't flown since I retired in '95. I did do a gazillion miles, (or less), when I was working for Boeing and always had some sort of knife in my pocket. What a scary thought to be without "something".

Side note, A European couple recently bought a local business near here. We were there when the Game and Fish fliers showed up in a bundle wrapped in a tie of some sort. As the lady started to leave to get a knife to cut the string I told her that I would do it for her. I reached in and pulled out my "Old Timer" and the deed was done.

She gave me a kind of knowing glance and and said something like, "Ah, yes, American men".

I gave her a smile for that one and even used most of my teeth.

Posted By: Steve_NO Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
this is really a pet peeve of mine because I fly a lot and try to never check anything. nevertheless sometimes I forget.....lost a really nice little Boker gentleman's knife (they didn't make me prove I was a gentleman to buy it, thankfully) and most recently a big Gerber fighting folder. When I realized it was in my pocket, I pulled it out and handed it over before I walked through the detector....its scary looking enough I thought they might do more than confiscate it if I tried to actually carry it though. The TSA guy asked if I wanted to go put it in my checked baggage or car...told him I had neither and he should just keep it because its a real good hundred dollar knife. He got all offended and said they have to turn everything in.....I wonder if TSA auctions off tons of pocket knives, or just throws them away?
They actually do auction off batches of them - but the overwhelming majority of them that make it to those auctions are cheap junk. I strongly suspect that a lot of knives on eBay are siphoned off by TSA people.

Come think of it, maybe it'd be worthwhile to buy one of those auction lots, and then simply toss them one at a time back to the TSA when we fly. True recycling, and bought that way, they'd be pennies each.
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
I travel almost weekly as a requirement for my job so I know the ropes.....now saying that, I had to fly this Monday so I get in the security line, go to cleaning out my pockets when I find my Case Executive in my pocket. It is not an expensive knife but it is a nice knife and was a Christmas gift. Of course I know I have 2 options, go back and check it or hand it over. Well I didn't have time to go back and I wasn't going to hand it over soooooo I stuffed it way down deep in my computer bag and sent it on through. The next thing you know I was gathering my things and headed to the plane. No fuss no muss.

I sure do feel safe with the TSA protecting us
Do a search on ebay for TSA knives, it WILL open you eyes.

Here is one: http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZTSAQ20knivesQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR40QQ_mdoZ
Originally Posted by johnw
i'm up early today... gotta catch a shuttle into chicago and fly out east on business for the day....
i go through this every time i fly now, but i'm [i]stressed[/i] about going without a knife in my pocket.....

rambo i am not... not in any way shape or form, but i carry a knife... usually one of the slimmer swiss army knves... sometimes even their smallest one... the one thats 8 bucks at walmart with a 1 1/2" blade and a nail file...
but i carry a knife..... got a dresser drawer full ...gerbers, bucks, schrades, hen and roosters, kissing cranes....

if this is what America has become in the face of an attack with box cutters, what in the sam hell will we do when someone of serious military means hits us???

sadly i don't see anything good happening soon... worse before it gets better, maybe???

I'm never without a knife either. For me, for the last 20 years or so, it's been a Gerber lockblade with a black Zytel handle. I used to take it on board as easy as my keys. Sometimes they'd measure the blade length and give it back, but mostly they'd just ignore it in the basket and I'd take it back with my keys. Since 9/11 I've had to pack it in my checked luggage, which stinks. I guess they prefer a plane full of helpless victims should hijackers strike again.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
Originally Posted by leopardprey
Yeah, I remember flying all over the world prior to 911 with my Spyderco Delica put in my carry on bag.
(sic)

I bought a Delica because it seemed like the perfect knife that you wouldn't be hassled when flying (pre-911) yet was big enough to be useful. I still carry it everyday, and it goes with checked baggage.

But, I prefer traveling with just carry on whenever possible.

I guess I've flown enough post 911 that I just don't let it get to me anymore.
Funny that a one-inch little blade brands you as a terrorist, but a stainless steel Cross ballpoint goes through without a glance. I carry one of those when I fly, and with it, I am a long way from defenseless.
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
There is always this replaceable blade knife from Stanley:

[Linked Image]

However, what I'd really like is for Victorinox to make a replaceable blade Swiss Army Knife. Call it the New Traveler or something. There's a huge market out there, or so I believe.

Scott

P.S. I knew a guy who once got a full sized Gerber multi-tool through TSA screening. A big honking thing with at least 3 different cutting type blades, never mind the stabbing options. Yep, we're safe all right....
Posted By: batch Re: flying knifeless... - 12/11/08
All of this thread is merely an addendum to my rant on flying commercial and the Thousands Standing Around. Does anyone have any reasonable suggestions as to what we, as travelers can do to change all of this. At this point I don't even care if the airlines all fail and that disturbs me. We need to legally regain our rights and dignity as paying customers.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: flying knifeless... - 12/12/08
I flew for work about twice a month for the last 6 years. Last fall I arrived at my destination and found my Buck 55 in my computer bag(a carry on) I carried the knife on my trip and before I left I put back in the same spot in the bag. I went through TSA without a hitch on the return.
Posted By: Bootsfishing Re: flying knifeless... - 12/12/08
If you must carry ....

http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/nfk.htm

http://www.keepshooting.com/knives/polymer/blackpolymer.htm

http://www.iasa.com.au/folders/RoboLander_files/plasticknives.htm

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...lat/Number/2636448/page/1/gonew/1#UNREAD

http://www.discountcutlery.net/en-us/dept_21736.html

Have to be LEO for these...
http://www.falcontactical.net/sykn.html
Posted By: johnw Re: flying knifeless... - 12/12/08
You might want to consider getting one of the plastic "letter openers". These are pretty cheap and in some respects are just as effective as a steel knife for self defense.

i don't carry a knife as a means of self defense... the bag that i took as a carry on today would make for a decent weapon, if it came to that....

i carry a knife because i've always carried a knife.... i cannot imagine how any man makes it through the day without one...

i had a couple of hours this afternoon and did some Christmas shopping at faneuil hall... my canvas field satchel was 1 1/2 notches of the leather strap short of fastening when i was done... a swiss army knife would have bored a new hole in exactly the right spot... a helpful jewelry clerk provided me with some string to tie the bag shut with, and that's how i came home.....
Posted By: las Re: flying knifeless... - 12/12/08
In '96 i came out of Barrow with a folding belt knife on. (You are NEKKID in the bush without a belt knife!).

It got confiscated - well, put in the pilots' cabin and returned on landing - in Anchorage. ON THE WAY BACK! It had gone thru Security on my belt in Barrow, Anchorage, Seattle on the way out, and Reno, Seattle on the way back.

Guess they figured anyone being forced to go back to Barrow with winter beginning must be desperate..... smile
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: flying knifeless... - 12/12/08
About a year and a half ago I flew to western Canada to visit one of my daughters. While packing I put my folder knife (which I normally carry in a nylon belt sheath) into my checked luggage. When I arrived at my daughters I couldn't find the knife. Of course I was convinced an airline employee had been into the bag and had stolen the knife.

The original knife, a Buck, cost $28 and it was 27 years old. It was purchased as a memento of my first hunting trip to Wyoming so had more sentimental value than anything else.

A couple of months ago I was looking into the same suitcase for something and what do you think I found hidden in a crease in the bag? You're right, it was my missing knife. All of a sudden I had to apologize (in my mind) to the employees of the airline in question. As my wife says, "you never look hard enough"!

Jim

Posted By: johnw Re: flying knifeless... - 12/20/08
Originally Posted by Pugs

I think I got mine from A.G. Russell and I see they don't carry it any more but if you Google swisstech there are lots of places to get them. Here's another.

well,

i immediately had the urge to order one of these as well...
i put it on my christmas list instead...
my wife complains that i never check our family email... she's wrong again, i just found an email confirmation of order from knivesplus!!!
i reckon that i'll just conyinue to let her believe that i don't check email.....
Posted By: T LEE Re: flying knifeless... - 12/20/08
Got my Swiss Techs the other day, really great find thanks to Mr. Pugs.
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: flying knifeless... - 12/20/08
I lost a good SOG seal knife to a police officer in Tijuana. Sometimes it's best not to put up a fuss while traveling.
Posted By: johnw Re: flying knifeless... - 05/19/09
Originally Posted by Pugs

well,

i immediately had the urge to order one of these as well...
i put it on my christmas list instead...
my wife complains that i never check our family email... she's wrong again, i just found an email confirmation of order from knivesplus!!!
i reckon that i'll just conyinue to let her believe that i don't check email.....

thanks again, pugs...

we went to a wedding in vegas over the weekend... i put my regular pocket knife in the pocket of my favoritest cut offs and they went into our checked bag...
before we left the house, my wife went through the bag and took my cut offs (that she keeps threatening to discard) out...

we got to our room and i started digging in the suitcase for my cut offs... the ones that my wife took out at home... i spent 4 days with my in-laws with just the swiss tech... it's a great little item to have with you...

i was speaking to my wife again by the time that we flew home yesterday...
of the half dozen or so times that i used the swiss tech over the weekend, the majority were at her request and for her direct benefit.... laugh
Posted By: zeN Re: flying knifeless... - 05/19/09
A knife is a nautral right-the foundation of modern man, even dna is cut with a knife:)
Had a friend who left a shell in one of his hunting jackets accidentily, besides being harranged at the airport he got a letter from HS saying he was on a list and if anything came up in the future they would go after him (paraphrase),
I'm sure Bush would have rendered him for waterboarding if he had been caught with a knife

Have never been confident the letter openers actually pass through undetected
Posted By: isaac Re: flying knifeless... - 05/19/09
Had a friend who left a shell in one of his hunting jackets accidentily, besides being harranged at the airport he got a letter from HS saying he was on a list and if anything came up in the future they would go after him (paraphrase),
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Aside from being a moron, you're also full of schit.

You need to fix your gay homo internet stalking thing you do, scum sucking lawyer, but thanks for demonstrating time and again what a vile little vermin you are

I wrote a very similar post sometime shortly after 9/11. I had been a regular knife carrier for years at that point, and always had a 2.5" blade with me on flights. It went in the basket at the metal detector which got handed to the guard, he/she would give it back when I passed through. Sometimes they'd notice it and measure the blade length, see that it was under three inches, and hand it back to me, but that was it. When they changed the policy after 9/11 I hated it. Still do. No American adult should be required to travel without a pocket knife just because some A-Rabs attacked people on a plane. Just the opposite. They should have started issuing bowie knives to each adult male American passenger as they boarded.
Posted By: Pete E Re: flying knifeless... - 05/19/09
Originally Posted by zeN
Have never been confident the letter openers actually pass through undetected

I think if you are caught with one of those "synthetic letter openers", you could be more [bleep] than with a small "innocent looking" folder like a Case...

With the synthetic blade, the security folks are not stupid and they will take the view that you as trying to evade the secuirity checks and smuggle a weapon on board. Once that happens, I would imagine your immediate travel plans are up [bleep] Creek!

However with a small folder (or something like the swiss tech key mentioned by Pugs), even if it is found, the worst thats likely to happen is its confiscated...
Yes Pete but the question is are these blades detectable, they do provide you with a significant weapon, that does not have to be unfolded with two hands
Originally Posted by zeN
Yes Pete but the question is are these blades detectable, they do provide you with a significant weapon, that does not have to be unfolded with two hands

my two hands are a significant weapon... i carry a knife as a tool to make me appear intelligent. and it usually works as intended... you appear to use a keyboard for the same purpose, but with dubious results...
Posted By: Pete E Re: flying knifeless... - 05/19/09
Zen,

Having watched stuff coming through airport Xray scanners, I would not rely on them being undetectable...While you would not set off one of the walk-through metal detectors, the problem comes when something else on your person does, causing you to be subject to a physical search...Quite a few times, things like my belt buckle, eyelets in my boots ect have triggered the walk through detector and *if* I had been carrying one of those synthetic blades, I'm sure it would have been found..

Its a stupid situation really, as if someone needed a weapon on a plane, they would only have to break one of their duty free booze bottles, and such a broken bottle would be far more dangerous than a box cutter...
Up yours John, I see you are part of the [bleep] club around here, I'm sure your hands are a weapon as you beat yourself (off) to coma
Thanx Pete good point
Posted By: isaac Re: flying knifeless... - 05/19/09
Shouldn't you be in your repeat of freshman English class now?

You got that everyone's a homo thing down pretty well,son. Explains a lot!
Posted By: bea175 Re: flying knifeless... - 05/19/09
I just ordered three SwissTech Key's and two Micro Plus Mini Tools.
Posted By: ZeroGravitas Re: flying knifeless... - 05/19/09
As a NY'er that watched the towers fall from 15 blocks away and flies commercial all the time, I felt both naked and highly concerned after the 9/11 TSA prohibtions on pocketknives.

I'm no badass, but...my brother kinda is, and he recommended I carry a very strong steelcased ballpoint pen on-board as an improv weapon, and if the SHTF on board, stuff a glossy inflight magazine under my shirt for some protection before doing the unthinkable.
Posted By: bea175 Re: flying knifeless... - 05/19/09
You need one of those Credit Card knifes like Steven Seagal used in the movie Glimmer Man
Posted By: Scott F Re: flying knifeless... - 05/19/09
I do not fly any more. If I cannot drive then I take the train. On longer trips I take the train first class. It is a great relaxing way to travel and you don't have to undress or have your knife stolen. But I am an old fart and can take the time. grin
Posted By: bruinruin Re: flying knifeless... - 05/19/09
When my wife tells people that I don't want to fly, they jump to the conclusion that I'm afraid of flying. They couldn't be more wrong. It's just that I'm so American that I can't stand the thought of being totally disarmed. I've been carrying a knife since almost forever. Don't know how people can get throught the day with out one. I carry one as a tool but I choose one that is big enough that it would serve as a weapon if need be. (Currently a CRKT Carson M4 with Veff serrations.)

I can hardly bear the thought that our leaders believe that the answer to bad people doing bad things is to disarm good people and deprive them of any advantage in a conflict situation.
Posted By: g5m Re: flying knifeless... - 05/19/09
But, don't you just feel so much safer knowing that all of those awful weapons aren't around? grin frown
Posted By: bruinruin Re: flying knifeless... - 05/19/09
As soon as they can guarantee the bad guys are unarmed too, I'll gladly fly.

Actually I'd fly if I had to, but I prefer to have some control of my safety and especially that of my family. That usually means driving which nowadays often gives me the option of packing my heater in addition to my knife.
Originally Posted by bea175
I just ordered three SwissTech Key's and two Micro Plus Mini Tools.

the one that i found in my Christmas stocking worked out very well for me...
Posted By: rost495 Re: flying knifeless... - 05/19/09
zen

You got a problem with Bush?
Posted By: T LEE Re: flying knifeless... - 05/19/09
[Linked Image]
Posted By: stxhunter Re: flying knifeless... - 05/19/09
you might find something here to ease your mind http://www.coldsteel.com/honeycomb.html
Posted By: CaliRN Re: flying knifeless... - 05/19/09
Bought one of the Swiss Tech key knifes, pretty cool. TSA took
it away from me at LAX. Look on Ebay for TSA auctions and you will see a bunch of Swiss Techs for sale. Flew to Hawaii with the family last year, my daughter found a handful of .22 LR in
her carry on from our last shooting trip and it made me wonder
who was watching the scanner that day... Pretty sad state of
affairs. Can't have a pocket knife but those glossy magazines
make pretty good batons rolled up. Gee, who left this Parker
steel ballpoint pen in my pocket...

Posted By: AcesNeights Re: flying knifeless... - 05/20/09
I carry a pen onboard an aircraft and am not defenseless. I have also carried a non-magnetized one of these...I guess you'd call it my travelin' buddy. I usually check it now as I am afraid of losing it to some fat arsed TSA lesbo.

http://www.bowenknife.com/knives_belt_main.shtml
Posted By: Pugs Re: flying knifeless... - 05/20/09
Originally Posted by CaliRN
Bought one of the Swiss Tech key knifes, pretty cool. TSA took
it away from me at LAX.

Hmmm, I've never cleared security at LAX with mine but I've likely taken it through 50 other airports worldwide over the last decade or so with no issues but I never just drop my keys in the little tray so they get a look. They go in my carry on, briefcase or jacket pocket. If they can figure out what it is from a scan more power to them.

Glad you guys like them. I find myself using it all the time.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: flying knifeless... - 05/20/09
Originally Posted by stxhunter
you might find something here to ease your mind http://www.coldsteel.com/honeycomb.html

Is it possible for a guy with short hair to be sooooo taken with a hairbrush....'cause I am.
Posted By: Medina Re: flying knifeless... - 05/20/09
[Linked Image]

ceramic knife, everyone should own one.
Posted By: johnw Re: flying knifeless... - 05/20/09
Originally Posted by Medina
[Linked Image]

ceramic knife, everyone should own one.

millimeter wave radar imaging can literally detect the mole on my hairy ass...

and because of it

a ceramic or plastic knife in your boot will cause you trouble in at least 6 U.S. airports already... more to come...

when i'm in line for the scanner/xray conveyor i drop my wallet, keys, change and cell phone into a pocket on my carry on... no trouble, no fuss...
Posted By: JimBoyTaco Re: flying knifeless... - 05/20/09
In 1968 I was returning to Billings From Denver after a visit to the VA hospital. I found a 6" hunting knife for sale in the Denver airport gift shop. I bought it, stuck it in my belt and got on the plane. I was a smoker then and drank too. After a smoke or two and a whiskey ditch I arrived in Billings and went home. No muss no fuss. AND the stwardess was a good looking girl!
Back in December batch posted

Originally Posted by batch
All of this thread is merely an addendum to my rant on flying commercial and the Thousands Standing Around. Does anyone have any reasonable suggestions as to what we, as travelers can do to change all of this. At this point I don't even care if the airlines all fail and that disturbs me. We need to legally regain our rights and dignity as paying customers.

In NOvember of 2010 and 2012 hold your candidates up to the light and see if they intend to work tirelessly to rescind many, most or all of these type of "Chicken Little" laws. We are slowly being taught to fear everything (by "We" I mean most of America, not Me. The things I fear are beyond my control). WE, which includes Me, need to say NO to this attitude of fear when we go to the ballot box. There are those who would have us live in fear because they want to control us.

There was a time when Americans prided themselves as being the molders and masters of their own destinies. This is what we need to regain. We turn to the "Government" for our protection, our education, our health and our livelihoods, either partially or wholly from the cradle to the grave. This is our lives as the giant, tax gobbling, money munching government bureaucracy which has created itself, is growing itself, and perpetuating itself on our (not mine) fearful votes every two years. We need to put people in office that will honorably discharge their duties, will truly work with the best interest of their constituency and the Nation at heart and that will above all else, �Tell the Truth without being asked and when asked�. Until we demand this of the candidates we vote for we are doomed to being sucked further down the rat hole we find ourselves in now.

Alan

Posted By: T LEE Re: flying knifeless... - 05/21/09
There it is, pure and simple.
© 24hourcampfire