-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't flown since I retired in '95. I did do a gazillion miles, (or less), when I was working for Boeing and always had some sort of knife in my pocket. What a scary thought to be without "something".

Side note, A European couple recently bought a local business near here. We were there when the Game and Fish fliers showed up in a bundle wrapped in a tie of some sort. As the lady started to leave to get a knife to cut the string I told her that I would do it for her. I reached in and pulled out my "Old Timer" and the deed was done.

She gave me a kind of knowing glance and and said something like, "Ah, yes, American men".

I gave her a smile for that one and even used most of my teeth.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
this is really a pet peeve of mine because I fly a lot and try to never check anything. nevertheless sometimes I forget.....lost a really nice little Boker gentleman's knife (they didn't make me prove I was a gentleman to buy it, thankfully) and most recently a big Gerber fighting folder. When I realized it was in my pocket, I pulled it out and handed it over before I walked through the detector....its scary looking enough I thought they might do more than confiscate it if I tried to actually carry it though. The TSA guy asked if I wanted to go put it in my checked baggage or car...told him I had neither and he should just keep it because its a real good hundred dollar knife. He got all offended and said they have to turn everything in.....I wonder if TSA auctions off tons of pocket knives, or just throws them away?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They actually do auction off batches of them - but the overwhelming majority of them that make it to those auctions are cheap junk. I strongly suspect that a lot of knives on eBay are siphoned off by TSA people.

Come think of it, maybe it'd be worthwhile to buy one of those auction lots, and then simply toss them one at a time back to the TSA when we fly. True recycling, and bought that way, they'd be pennies each.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I travel almost weekly as a requirement for my job so I know the ropes.....now saying that, I had to fly this Monday so I get in the security line, go to cleaning out my pockets when I find my Case Executive in my pocket. It is not an expensive knife but it is a nice knife and was a Christmas gift. Of course I know I have 2 options, go back and check it or hand it over. Well I didn't have time to go back and I wasn't going to hand it over soooooo I stuffed it way down deep in my computer bag and sent it on through. The next thing you know I was gathering my things and headed to the plane. No fuss no muss.

I sure do feel safe with the TSA protecting us

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do a search on ebay for TSA knives, it WILL open you eyes.

Here is one: http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZTSAQ20knivesQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR40QQ_mdoZ

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by johnw
i'm up early today... gotta catch a shuttle into chicago and fly out east on business for the day....
i go through this every time i fly now, but i'm [i]stressed[/i] about going without a knife in my pocket.....

rambo i am not... not in any way shape or form, but i carry a knife... usually one of the slimmer swiss army knves... sometimes even their smallest one... the one thats 8 bucks at walmart with a 1 1/2" blade and a nail file...
but i carry a knife..... got a dresser drawer full ...gerbers, bucks, schrades, hen and roosters, kissing cranes....

it goes in my pants before my wallet.... i'd rather go without my wallet.....

if this is what America has become in the face of an attack with box cutters, what in the sam hell will we do when someone of serious military means hits us???

i think that we need some serious reorganization, as a nation....
sadly i don't see anything good happening soon... worse before it gets better, maybe???

maybe send this as an editorial to the local paper when i get back....
I'm never without a knife either. For me, for the last 20 years or so, it's been a Gerber lockblade with a black Zytel handle. I used to take it on board as easy as my keys. Sometimes they'd measure the blade length and give it back, but mostly they'd just ignore it in the basket and I'd take it back with my keys. Since 9/11 I've had to pack it in my checked luggage, which stinks. I guess they prefer a plane full of helpless victims should hijackers strike again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by leopardprey
Yeah, I remember flying all over the world prior to 911 with my Spyderco Delica put in my carry on bag.
(sic)

I bought a Delica because it seemed like the perfect knife that you wouldn't be hassled when flying (pre-911) yet was big enough to be useful. I still carry it everyday, and it goes with checked baggage.

But, I prefer traveling with just carry on whenever possible.

I guess I've flown enough post 911 that I just don't let it get to me anymore.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Funny that a one-inch little blade brands you as a terrorist, but a stainless steel Cross ballpoint goes through without a glance. I carry one of those when I fly, and with it, I am a long way from defenseless.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is always this replaceable blade knife from Stanley:

[Linked Image]

However, what I'd really like is for Victorinox to make a replaceable blade Swiss Army Knife. Call it the New Traveler or something. There's a huge market out there, or so I believe.

Scott

P.S. I knew a guy who once got a full sized Gerber multi-tool through TSA screening. A big honking thing with at least 3 different cutting type blades, never mind the stabbing options. Yep, we're safe all right....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All of this thread is merely an addendum to my rant on flying commercial and the Thousands Standing Around. Does anyone have any reasonable suggestions as to what we, as travelers can do to change all of this. At this point I don't even care if the airlines all fail and that disturbs me. We need to legally regain our rights and dignity as paying customers.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I flew for work about twice a month for the last 6 years. Last fall I arrived at my destination and found my Buck 55 in my computer bag(a carry on) I carried the knife on my trip and before I left I put back in the same spot in the bag. I went through TSA without a hitch on the return.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You might want to consider getting one of the plastic "letter openers". These are pretty cheap and in some respects are just as effective as a steel knife for self defense.

i don't carry a knife as a means of self defense... the bag that i took as a carry on today would make for a decent weapon, if it came to that....

i carry a knife because i've always carried a knife.... i cannot imagine how any man makes it through the day without one...

i had a couple of hours this afternoon and did some Christmas shopping at faneuil hall... my canvas field satchel was 1 1/2 notches of the leather strap short of fastening when i was done... a swiss army knife would have bored a new hole in exactly the right spot... a helpful jewelry clerk provided me with some string to tie the bag shut with, and that's how i came home.....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
In '96 i came out of Barrow with a folding belt knife on. (You are NEKKID in the bush without a belt knife!).

It got confiscated - well, put in the pilots' cabin and returned on landing - in Anchorage. ON THE WAY BACK! It had gone thru Security on my belt in Barrow, Anchorage, Seattle on the way out, and Reno, Seattle on the way back.

Guess they figured anyone being forced to go back to Barrow with winter beginning must be desperate..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About a year and a half ago I flew to western Canada to visit one of my daughters. While packing I put my folder knife (which I normally carry in a nylon belt sheath) into my checked luggage. When I arrived at my daughters I couldn't find the knife. Of course I was convinced an airline employee had been into the bag and had stolen the knife.

The original knife, a Buck, cost $28 and it was 27 years old. It was purchased as a memento of my first hunting trip to Wyoming so had more sentimental value than anything else.

A couple of months ago I was looking into the same suitcase for something and what do you think I found hidden in a crease in the bag? You're right, it was my missing knife. All of a sudden I had to apologize (in my mind) to the employees of the airline in question. As my wife says, "you never look hard enough"!

Jim

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by T LEE
Too bad the link to order don't work.

I think I got mine from A.G. Russell and I see they don't carry it any more but if you Google swisstech there are lots of places to get them. Here's another.

http://www.knivesplus.com/SWISSTECH.HTML

well,

i immediately had the urge to order one of these as well...
i put it on my christmas list instead...
my wife complains that i never check our family email... she's wrong again, i just found an email confirmation of order from knivesplus!!!
i reckon that i'll just conyinue to let her believe that i don't check email.....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got my Swiss Techs the other day, really great find thanks to Mr. Pugs.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I lost a good SOG seal knife to a police officer in Tijuana. Sometimes it's best not to put up a fuss while traveling.

Last edited by Rick n Tenn; 12/20/08.
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by T LEE
Too bad the link to order don't work.

I think I got mine from A.G. Russell and I see they don't carry it any more but if you Google swisstech there are lots of places to get them. Here's another.

http://www.knivesplus.com/SWISSTECH.HTML

well,

i immediately had the urge to order one of these as well...
i put it on my christmas list instead...
my wife complains that i never check our family email... she's wrong again, i just found an email confirmation of order from knivesplus!!!
i reckon that i'll just conyinue to let her believe that i don't check email.....

thanks again, pugs...

we went to a wedding in vegas over the weekend... i put my regular pocket knife in the pocket of my favoritest cut offs and they went into our checked bag...
before we left the house, my wife went through the bag and took my cut offs (that she keeps threatening to discard) out...

we got to our room and i started digging in the suitcase for my cut offs... the ones that my wife took out at home... i spent 4 days with my in-laws with just the swiss tech... it's a great little item to have with you...

i was speaking to my wife again by the time that we flew home yesterday...
of the half dozen or so times that i used the swiss tech over the weekend, the majority were at her request and for her direct benefit.... laugh

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Z
zeN Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
A knife is a nautral right-the foundation of modern man, even dna is cut with a knife:)
Had a friend who left a shell in one of his hunting jackets accidentily, besides being harranged at the airport he got a letter from HS saying he was on a list and if anything came up in the future they would go after him (paraphrase),
I'm sure Bush would have rendered him for waterboarding if he had been caught with a knife

Have never been confident the letter openers actually pass through undetected

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,494
Posts18,509,091
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.