Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
i'm up early today... gotta catch a shuttle into chicago and fly out east on business for the day....
i go through this every time i fly now, but i'm [i]stressed[/i] about going without a knife in my pocket.....

rambo i am not... not in any way shape or form, but i carry a knife... usually one of the slimmer swiss army knves... sometimes even their smallest one... the one thats 8 bucks at walmart with a 1 1/2" blade and a nail file...
but i carry a knife..... got a dresser drawer full ...gerbers, bucks, schrades, hen and roosters, kissing cranes....

it goes in my pants before my wallet.... i'd rather go without my wallet.....

if this is what America has become in the face of an attack with box cutters, what in the sam hell will we do when someone of serious military means hits us???

i think that we need some serious reorganization, as a nation....
sadly i don't see anything good happening soon... worse before it gets better, maybe???

maybe send this as an editorial to the local paper when i get back....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
+ 1

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+2 - We have become a nation of "Chicken Little's". I go through a "de-fanging" process before flying (rarely fly anymore) and even to go into my daughters high school. Our local county courthouse and hospital emergency room uses walk through metal detectors. I was scanned the last time I went to a Braves game in Atlanta and patted down at the Carolina Panthers game this past Monday night (I had my pocket knife at that one, but they were only patting for handguns). My current pocket knife is a small Case knife - I would love to see the list of American citizens who have used a pocket knife to hijack an airplane. Odessa

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Johnw, I feel your angst. This past August, I had to fly to Germany, and then Greece without my 'pocket protector'. I had several knives that I packed in my checked luggage, and after clearing customs, I got a CRKT M16 back into my pocket.

In Kusadasi Turkey, coming back from visiting the ruins of Ephesus, I was detained by Turkish security when I went to re board my cruise ship. I forgot I left the ship with the knife, and was nailed by the metal detector. Alarms went off, and guys with MP5s came running. Hey, I'm not kidding either!
I was taken to small room, and questioned by an Army Lt. He asked why I was carrying a knife in Turkey. I said 'to clean my fingernails'. He was not amused, but in the end, after some delay, they released me, and I was even able to get my CRKT back, once the ship had cleared Turkish waters.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one of these on each of my keychains

http://www.swisstechtools.com/productdetail.aspx?PID=VZ75GDTdP68A

I have traveled all over the civilized and uncivilized world and carried them on commercial airliners for the last 10 years and no one has ever batted an eye. Just looks like another key and it's as handy as a swiss army knife.

No, it's not a self defense blade but it works fine for what I use a pocket know for.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Know just how you feel. I hate not having my knife.
If I fly with checked bags, I stow a small knife in a bag so as to have one when I arrive.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Too bad the link to order don't work.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T LEE
Too bad the link to order don't work.

I think I got mine from A.G. Russell and I see they don't carry it any more but if you Google swisstech there are lots of places to get them. Here's another.

http://www.knivesplus.com/SWISSTECH.HTML

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks Pugs, I just ordered 2.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now that little SwissTech 'key' is just what I have been wanting. Like Terry, I just ordered two.

Sam......

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Felt the same way when I flew to Atlanta to visit friends last winter. The only time I've been without a knife in ten years.

I'd almost rather go without clothes....almost.

Camp is where you make it.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Yeah, I remember flying all over the world prior to 911 with my Spyderco Delica put in my carry on bag.

Completely ridiculous that you can not take even a Swiss Army Knife with you on your carry on. I mean a Swiss Army Knife! Not a box cutter or a locked blade. Still traveling internationally many many times since 911, just now have to put my knives in my Checked bag.

Last edited by leopardprey; 12/11/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might want to consider getting one of the plastic "letter openers". These are pretty cheap and in some respects are just as effective as a steel knife for self defense.

I am not sure about the legality of carrying these on a plane. They are plastic and wont show up on a metal scan and or (I think) on the bagage scanners.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Pugs. They are going to make great stocking stuffers.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i hear you boys, grew up on a farm, if you didn't have a pocketknife you were handicapped, scrape acid off battery terminals on the tractor, cut binder twine to feed hay, get a splinter out, cut a pig, cut a piece of shirt off to use as a bandage if you got buggered up away from the house and it'd be awhile before you got back, etc. etc. etc.

have lived in AK some time now, never blinked an eye when I'd travel with my 3 7/8 lock back, well until I got out in America, then the hassles would begin.

so I bought a little Kershaw specifically for flying, itty bitty thing, now I can't even take that??? freaking maroons

my first thought when hearing about flight 93 and the passengers rushing the bastids armed with boxcutters was I'd slice me off a couple of seat belts and go after Achmed with his box cutter aiming to put knots on his head faster than he could rub them.

I hate not having a knife on me, even a little one.

as an aside on the link Allen gave, those look similar to the little micro tool I take sheep hunting but different brand name Seber IIRC, not the key, the plier gizmos.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I cant stand being knifeless either, makes me feel almost nekkid!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Like you guys, I believe that a gentleman always has a pocketknife - and a clean handkerchief.

On a visit to New Jersey once, I panicked about five minutes after I checked my bag. Knife still in pocket, and me in the security line. Crap. I dropped the thin little single-blade folder into my carry-on bag and hoped for the best.

Sure enough, I'm putting on my shoes when a huge TSA guy asks me if that's my bag.

Yessir, why?
The scanner shows there may be a knife in it.
Really? I don't think so, but anything can happen, I guess. If there is, it's gone through three security checks in two days.

He arched his eyebrows and started a hand search. To my hopefully hidden relief, he didn't find it. I shrugged and said, Well, I don't fit any of your profiles, anyway, do I?

He made a microscopic smile, stopped searching, and handed me the bag. Have a nice flight, sir.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I also go every day with my SAK in my pocket,not to long ago I went to a Concert in Vegas to see CSNY and got caught at the entrance, they wanted my knife,I asked what the were going to do with it they said "Throw it away" I said NFW! Had to go to security drop it off and return after to retrieve it!!!!

DC Miller
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Uh huh. Just like at airports, "Throw it away" means drop all the good ones into the guard's pocket.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Like when the local PD would confiscate our BEER? Waaaaay back when!

DC Miller
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (160user, 1minute, 257Bob, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 15,163 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,144
Posts18,542,528
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.