Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Had a friend who left a shell in one of his hunting jackets accidentily, besides being harranged at the airport he got a letter from HS saying he was on a list and if anything came up in the future they would go after him (paraphrase),
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Aside from being a moron, you're also full of schit.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Z
zeN Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
You need to fix your gay homo internet stalking thing you do, scum sucking lawyer, but thanks for demonstrating time and again what a vile little vermin you are

Last edited by zeN; 05/19/09.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by johnw
i'm up early today... gotta catch a shuttle into chicago and fly out east on business for the day....
i go through this every time i fly now, but i'm [i]stressed[/i] about going without a knife in my pocket.....

rambo i am not... not in any way shape or form, but i carry a knife... usually one of the slimmer swiss army knves... sometimes even their smallest one... the one thats 8 bucks at walmart with a 1 1/2" blade and a nail file...
but i carry a knife..... got a dresser drawer full ...gerbers, bucks, schrades, hen and roosters, kissing cranes....

it goes in my pants before my wallet.... i'd rather go without my wallet.....

if this is what America has become in the face of an attack with box cutters, what in the sam hell will we do when someone of serious military means hits us???

i think that we need some serious reorganization, as a nation....
sadly i don't see anything good happening soon... worse before it gets better, maybe???

maybe send this as an editorial to the local paper when i get back....
I wrote a very similar post sometime shortly after 9/11. I had been a regular knife carrier for years at that point, and always had a 2.5" blade with me on flights. It went in the basket at the metal detector which got handed to the guard, he/she would give it back when I passed through. Sometimes they'd notice it and measure the blade length, see that it was under three inches, and hand it back to me, but that was it. When they changed the policy after 9/11 I hated it. Still do. No American adult should be required to travel without a pocket knife just because some A-Rabs attacked people on a plane. Just the opposite. They should have started issuing bowie knives to each adult male American passenger as they boarded.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by zeN
Have never been confident the letter openers actually pass through undetected

I think if you are caught with one of those "synthetic letter openers", you could be more [bleep] than with a small "innocent looking" folder like a Case...

With the synthetic blade, the security folks are not stupid and they will take the view that you as trying to evade the secuirity checks and smuggle a weapon on board. Once that happens, I would imagine your immediate travel plans are up [bleep] Creek!

However with a small folder (or something like the swiss tech key mentioned by Pugs), even if it is found, the worst thats likely to happen is its confiscated...

Last edited by Pete E; 05/19/09.
Z
zeN Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Yes Pete but the question is are these blades detectable, they do provide you with a significant weapon, that does not have to be unfolded with two hands

IC B2

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by zeN
Yes Pete but the question is are these blades detectable, they do provide you with a significant weapon, that does not have to be unfolded with two hands

my two hands are a significant weapon... i carry a knife as a tool to make me appear intelligent. and it usually works as intended... you appear to use a keyboard for the same purpose, but with dubious results...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Zen,

Having watched stuff coming through airport Xray scanners, I would not rely on them being undetectable...While you would not set off one of the walk-through metal detectors, the problem comes when something else on your person does, causing you to be subject to a physical search...Quite a few times, things like my belt buckle, eyelets in my boots ect have triggered the walk through detector and *if* I had been carrying one of those synthetic blades, I'm sure it would have been found..

Its a stupid situation really, as if someone needed a weapon on a plane, they would only have to break one of their duty free booze bottles, and such a broken bottle would be far more dangerous than a box cutter...

Last edited by Pete E; 05/19/09.
Z
zeN Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Up yours John, I see you are part of the [bleep] club around here, I'm sure your hands are a weapon as you beat yourself (off) to coma

Z
zeN Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Thanx Pete good point

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Shouldn't you be in your repeat of freshman English class now?

You got that everyone's a homo thing down pretty well,son. Explains a lot!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just ordered three SwissTech Key's and two Micro Plus Mini Tools.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
As a NY'er that watched the towers fall from 15 blocks away and flies commercial all the time, I felt both naked and highly concerned after the 9/11 TSA prohibtions on pocketknives.

I'm no badass, but...my brother kinda is, and he recommended I carry a very strong steelcased ballpoint pen on-board as an improv weapon, and if the SHTF on board, stuff a glossy inflight magazine under my shirt for some protection before doing the unthinkable.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You need one of those Credit Card knifes like Steven Seagal used in the movie Glimmer Man

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I do not fly any more. If I cannot drive then I take the train. On longer trips I take the train first class. It is a great relaxing way to travel and you don't have to undress or have your knife stolen. But I am an old fart and can take the time. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When my wife tells people that I don't want to fly, they jump to the conclusion that I'm afraid of flying. They couldn't be more wrong. It's just that I'm so American that I can't stand the thought of being totally disarmed. I've been carrying a knife since almost forever. Don't know how people can get throught the day with out one. I carry one as a tool but I choose one that is big enough that it would serve as a weapon if need be. (Currently a CRKT Carson M4 with Veff serrations.)

I can hardly bear the thought that our leaders believe that the answer to bad people doing bad things is to disarm good people and deprive them of any advantage in a conflict situation.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
But, don't you just feel so much safer knowing that all of those awful weapons aren't around? grin frown

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As soon as they can guarantee the bad guys are unarmed too, I'll gladly fly.

Actually I'd fly if I had to, but I prefer to have some control of my safety and especially that of my family. That usually means driving which nowadays often gives me the option of packing my heater in addition to my knife.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175
I just ordered three SwissTech Key's and two Micro Plus Mini Tools.

the one that i found in my Christmas stocking worked out very well for me...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
zen

You got a problem with Bush?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,422
Posts18,507,459
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.