Home
Posted By: Beprepared Can-Am Spyder - 05/30/11
anyone every ridden one of these?

i'm considering selling my Honda Shadow to invest in one, but i'd like to hear what folks think about them first
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/30/11
PM bigsqueeze, he owns one.
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/30/11
I've ridden motorcycles for over years. If you have a disability or are in your 70s, I can see buying one. I find it hard not to laugh out loud when I look at one.
Posted By: Beprepared Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/30/11
i don't care if someone laughs... i'm worried about the quality of the vehicle and their value

if i could find one for 6-7k i'd jump all over it
Posted By: Jerryv Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/30/11
They may be ugly, but they sure are expensive. laugh

Can't see a motorcycle having more than 2 wheels. If you need more, get a Miata convertible.

Jerry
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/30/11
all that's missing is a NAMBLA t-shirt.
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/30/11
Buy a Gold Wing they aren't as gay.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/30/11
I appreciate the question - a lot. After all, most of us started riding a trike at about 2 or 3, and later moved up to the 2 wheeled bike. Since then I have ridden everything from the old Harleys, an Indian Chief, a Norton Twin, a Vincent Black Shadow, two Triumphs, a BSA and later some of the good rice burners. Now, well past 70 and living way back on a tricky gravel road, but still wanting to ride, with my wife along - your inquiry rings the bells of practicality. Looking forward to some good experienced replies.
Posted By: .280Rem Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/30/11
My brother and I were pointing and laughing at them in the commercial over lunch. I've seen guys on real motorcycles ignore the standard "biker wave" when some guy on a Can Am tries to act like he's on a real motorcycle.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/30/11
I feel your pain Bro,but they are still Gay!!!
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Buy a Gold Wing they aren't as gay.

Close. Why is it that everyone who rides one has antennas sticking out of their helmets. Must have abandonment issues.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/30/11
$25K, no track record, and not really a motorcycle.

Buy a convertible
Originally Posted by 700LH
$25K, no track record, and not really a motorcycle.

Buy a convertible

$25K for that piece of gay schit! On second thought, invest in one...they'll be rare collectors items soon.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/30/11
Originally Posted by .280Rem
"biker wave"

Talk about gay [bleep]! Makes me cringe whenever I see jackazzes do that stupid wave, no matter what they're riding!
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/30/11
The only thing gayer than riding one of those would be worrying about what the "real bikers" think of you.
Posted By: deflave Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/30/11
Agreed on the gay biker wave.

Whatever that thing is supposed to be I hope the owners enjoy them. But if you think it's a bike? Wow...

Travis
Kinda reminds of the old joke about what a fat girl and a moped have in common?

They're both fun to ride until your friends see you!... grin
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
"biker wave"

Talk about gay [bleep]! Makes me cringe whenever I see jackazzes do that stupid wave, no matter what they're riding!

I've never understood the need to waive at another guy just because you're both on motorcycles.

It's not worrying about what "real bikers" think of you on one...it's knowing what they think of you riding one. LOL GAY!
Posted By: northcountry Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/30/11

All these posts and the guy still doesn't have an answer. Wow It is hard to get an answer to a question. Cheer NC
Think he's getting the picture.
Originally Posted by northcountry

All these posts and the guy still doesn't have an answer. Wow It is hard to get an answer to a question. Cheer NC

Kinda reminds of the old joke about what a fat girl and a moped Can-Am Spyder have in common?

They're both fun to ride until your friends see you!... grin

Maybe this'll help clear up my opinion...
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/30/11
All I know is it's another way for weekend warriors to clog up Highway 1 on a summer day.

You know it's really bad when the fat [bleep] on motorcycles are holding up the motor homes..
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/31/11
Probable Can-Am riders..!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/31/11
I see they start at $16K and go to $28K.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/31/11
Harley get together ?
Posted By: GeauxLSU Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/31/11
I heard they track extremely well and better than traditional trikes and I guess I can see that with the wider stance up front in a curve vs wanting to swing out in the rear. Having said that, I just think of how many times on two wheels I had to swerve to avoid hitting something in the road; retread, roadkill, ubiquitous ladder, pothole, whatever... and just the thought of trying to figure that out in a split second with three different lines just makes my head hurt! crazy
Regarding the 'biker wave' I did it all the time. Most folks that ride are just friendly and socialable. For the real and wanna' be 2%'s, well you know....
And for some unknown reason I'm reminded of the guys in Daytona, that parked a few blocks from the festivities in an old station wagon, got out and THEN put on leathers and then walked to the party.
To the OP, some guys would rather trailer their 2 wheeler to an event and ride it the last 2 blocks than own anything with more than 2 wheels or even the 'wrong' nameplate. If it flips your switch, get it and have fun.
Posted By: bender Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/31/11
For that money, just get a sidecar....
Posted By: T LEE Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/31/11
Agree with the above, I could give a crap less what others think if it keeps me in the wind. All I have owned to this point is HD's and one 1940 Indian WAY back in my youth but these look like they could get me riding again, that or a Harley trike.
Originally Posted by T LEE
Agree with the above, I could give a crap less what others think if it keeps me in the wind. All I have owned to this point is HD's and one 1940 Indian WAY back in my youth but these look like they could get me riding again, that or a Harley trike.
T Lee, you should borrow someone's Valkyrie trike for a day. Rode with a couple that both had them. Neither had any physical issues at all (in their 40's) and just absolutely SWORE by those things. A trike just felt weird to me the only time I rode one (test drove a friend's Wing trike) but it was a very short ride as I was terrified I was going to flip the thing and owe him a ton of money and perhaps crack my own noggin. grin Crazy thing was he swore you could NOT flip it. I followed him and he cranked the handle bars as hard as he could doing I guess around 45-50 mph and the thing chirpped and immediately corrected itself. Freaked me out and I wasn't about to try it but I could tell he wasn't faking it. In any case, I agree 100%, ride what you want and love it!
By the way, have you ever seen the 'nickel test' on a Valkyrie? Lots of bets have been won on that. I did it several times on mine, worked every time. Truly amazing.
Sorry for the tangent OP.
Posted By: Beprepared Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/31/11
i think i might have mentioned that i don't give a crap what people think... if you think they are "gay" don't buy one.

i'm interested in hearing from people who have owned one or ridden one.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/31/11
they are a dry land snow-mobile
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/31/11
I have ridden motorcycles for many, many years, both street and dirt. Recently tried one of the Canam's out. It is the most evil handling unstable thing I had ever ridded on. My wife who is a pretty good rider in her own rite tried it as well....same conclusion. IMOP people are going to die on those things.

Lefty C
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/31/11
Originally Posted by Beprepared
i think i might have mentioned that i don't give a crap what people think... if you think they are "gay" don't buy one.

I suspect there aren't that many gay people that post here so you may not get an answer.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/31/11
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
T Lee, you should borrow someone's Valkyrie trike for a day. Rode with a couple that both had them. Neither had any physical issues at all (in their 40's) and just absolutely SWORE by those things. A trike just felt weird to me the only time I rode one (test drove a friend's Wing trike) but it was a very short ride as I was terrified I was going to flip the thing and owe him a ton of money and perhaps crack my own noggin. grin Crazy thing was he swore you could NOT flip it. I followed him and he cranked the handle bars as hard as he could doing I guess around 45-50 mph and the thing chirpped and immediately corrected itself. Freaked me out and I wasn't about to try it but I could tell he wasn't faking it. In any case, I agree 100%, ride what you want and love it!
By the way, have you ever seen the 'nickel test' on a Valkyrie? Lots of bets have been won on that. I did it several times on mine, worked every time. Truly amazing.

My biggest problem is getting past my love of the thump of a V-twin Harley, The Valkyrie trike might be an option though. My problem is bad legs and holding up a 2 wheeler anymore, still want to ride in the wind.
Posted By: NathanL Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/31/11
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
I have ridden motorcycles for many, many years, both street and dirt. Recently tried one of the Canam's out. It is the most evil handling unstable thing I had ever ridded on. My wife who is a pretty good rider in her own rite tried it as well....same conclusion. IMOP people are going to die on those things.

Lefty C

I'm guessing people who have never rode probably won't have the problem that people that have do judging from some of the threads on some other forums.

Might be a lot of mutual admiration society stuff but might be worth looking around
here http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/
and here http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/forums.php
and here http://www.canamspyderforums.com/forums/
Etc.
I'll say this, they've been around a little while and despite their price, they sure aren't getting less popular.
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU

My biggest problem is getting past my love of the thump of a V-twin Harley, The Valkyrie trike might be an option though. My problem is bad legs and holding up a 2 wheeler anymore, still want to ride in the wind.
I let 4 people ride my Valk. Just friends, not necessarily shopping for bikes. 3 of the 4 went out and bought one. The other guy didn't have the budget. One of the three SWORE he'd never ride anything but a Harley. wink
Just ride one. And hold on! smirk
I'd consider a Jap bike for off-road use. For the street if it doesn't say Harley, Triumph, or BMW on the tank I'm not interested.
I'd consider a Jap bike for off-road use. For the street if it doesn't say Harley, Triumph, or BMW on the tank I'm not interested.
Because you're a "three rings of steel" guy right?
[Linked Image]

I've ridden Harleys and for ME, no thanks (comfort). "Dear Lord please don't send the HD worshippers after me. It's just one man's opinion." BMW's, the ones I've sat on anyway, are way too top heavy. I admit it, I'd like to ride a Rocket. But I like big fast engines that make no apology for it and something not everybody else has.
Posted By: Beprepared Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/31/11
as i mentioned earlier, i own a honda shadow.

I am not a very experienced rider, but had absolutely no problem riding in Huntsville where i used to live. I recently moved to austin, and live in a VERY hilly area. The few times that i have been on the road with it here have been TERRIFYING....

riding a 700 pound bike up a 50 degree incline at traffic speeds of 10mph or less while being followed by a pickup truck was one of the most horrifying riding experiences of my life.

If i were a veteran rider, perhaps i would be okay with it.... i am not, and do not think i ever will be with the riding conditions around me

The can-am will be MUCH more stable in traffic, and i will have MUCH better stopping ability.

I'm not a biker. I don't give a crap what bikers think. What i am is a guy who loves to ride on occasion but doesn't want to die on a weekend drive
Posted By: Winnie Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/31/11
They are cool if you want to be the ladies man at the senior center or the man magnet at the gay bar.

Just saying.

grin
Posted By: Calvin Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/31/11
Originally Posted by nsaqam
PM bigsqueeze, he owns one.

Makes sense..
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/31/11
Not quite the Can-Am but check this brand out----

http://www.imz-ural.com/

Made for the last 70 years or so, cost seems to be 13-14 thou.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/31/11
Still have a motorcycle endorsement on my license, but sold my Honda Shadow back in 2008...sorry, don't have the budget for one of those CanAms, but I admit, if I did I could see picking one up...

and I don't give a darn what other folks may think.. I would be buying it for ME, not them...

I'm not out to IMPRESS or DEPRESS someone in life...

Plenty of folks knocking them, but only one has admitted to riding one....

isn't that kind of like, claiming you don't like a particular cartridge or rifle, but admit to never shooting one or hunting with one? we know how we make fun of those types...
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/31/11
A bunch of dorks that ride around in skin tight black leathers are calling others GAY? Hmmmmm..........
Posted By: writing_frog Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/31/11

In Europe and France too we have the Can Am Spider. I,m 54 and biker till my 16een, i rode all the good Italian Sport machines of old time (Guzzi Le Mans, Ducati 900SS, Laverda 1000, Benelli Six. Rode also Triumph new Bonnie (own it yet) BSA650, BMW 1000Rs (old model) and 1200RT, old Kawa 900Ninja (full power) plus some trail bikes. Here most bikers, like some of you, disdain the Can Am too. Not because it's a "gay thing" but because it's not a MOTOBIKE. For us it's more turned toward people who never rode a real bike and want to enjoy some "air in the face thrill" or some old guy of my age wanting to look younger and attract some "dolls".

I don't like nor trust the Spider and as lot of biker friends consider this Spider a real dangerous thing on our roads with lots of traffic, as some of us who went in Europe know.

But if a guy want to buy one: it's his own choice and right, never mind what others think. That's freedom...
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Can-Am Spyder - 05/31/11

I suspect there aren't that many gay people that post here so you may not get an answer.

The only gay ones that do post here drive Ford Fiestas.
Originally Posted by gophergunner
A bunch of dorks that ride around in skin tight black leathers are calling others GAY? Hmmmmm..........

Heh. Good one, gg. The Village People comes to mind.
So why did you ask? You had already made up your mind.
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
They are cool if you want to be the ladies man at the senior center or the man magnet at the gay bar.

Just saying.

grin

Priceless!
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

The only gay ones that do post here drive Ford Fiestas.

Just for you, Swampy,,,once more, in case you missed it.
as i mentioned earlier, i own a honda shadow.

I am not a very experienced rider, but had absolutely no problem riding in Huntsville where i used to live. I recently moved to austin, and live in a VERY hilly area. The few times that i have been on the road with it here have been TERRIFYING....

riding a 700 pound bike up a 50 degree incline at traffic speeds of 10mph or less while being followed by a pickup truck was one of the most horrifying riding experiences of my life.

If i were a veteran rider, perhaps i would be okay with it.... i am not, and do not think i ever will be with the riding conditions around me

The can-am will be MUCH more stable in traffic, and i will have MUCH better stopping ability.

I'm not a biker. I don't give a crap what bikers think. What i am is a guy who loves to ride on occasion but doesn't want to die on a weekend drive
I can appreciate the particular incident you describe but a manual anything (regardless of number of wheels) will be a problem in that scenario. Yes 3 wheels would be somewhat easier than two but still, that's just not a place to ride for fun.
In any case, go ride one. I think their commercials are touting the test drive offer. And of course there are used ones around. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/2387576168.html
Posted By: Huntz Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
"biker wave"

That is because you ignorant as to how it began or maybe just ignorant period.
Posted By: ExpatFromOK Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
I can't dig them. They are like Grapenuts; neither grapes nor nuts.

Expat
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11

I don't think i would poke fun at another's ride, as silly as i might think it might be.
Saturday i did about 300miles on my goldwing, there were two wings, a baby wing, and about 25 harley drivers. I didn't see any issues nor did the others. I can tell you this if you want to do a 1000miles a day on an interstate highway, there are very few bikes made to do this comfortable.
As to the age thing, wings are heavy as all get out particularly at slow speeds. At rocket speeds another matter. A number of older guys when they knew they were having balancing problems converted to trikes. And are still driving. And nobody laughs or cares. Try a 90year old driving a goldwing trike in sun city.
As to trike a harley or wing, do the wing every time. Air cooled, driveshaft, heck of a lot more power, road worthy. I had a friend now deceased that had a cool harley trike and the wife had a wing trike. When they road together they always took the wing.
The harley just did not have enough power to stay up on the hills.
I think the can ams look a little silly too, particularly the ads on t.v. for them that have been playing recently.
and as to the biker wave, a lot of people on all kinds of bikes do that here, i don't see it as a big deal.
Posted By: okok Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
They just look dangerous. crazy
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
What i am is a guy who loves to ride on occasion but doesn't want to die on a weekend drive

I don't want you to die either, because in your spiritual condition,..well we all know where unbelievers go... wink

The Can-Am Spyder would be a SOB to try to wheelie, and chicks dig wheelies..!

What's the point of a bike if you can't lean it over on a Curvy road and tickle a foot-peg on the pavement?

If you want to just get some air, surely you've got some friends who would let you stand up and ride around in the back of a truck, plenty of air that way.

For that kind of money, get yourself a tricked out Goldwing. They practically float on air anyway, and they throw down the power like an electric motor. If you've never ridden a Goldwing, you owe it to yourself. Forget those Belching Bucking Vibrating Air Cooled Glorified Roto-Tiller V-Twin Trailered bikes.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
Remember back in high school when we let the self-proclaimed "in-crowd" dictate how we could dress, how we could act, what we could have, and who we could associate with?
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
Originally Posted by Huntz
"biker wave"

Let me guess, a homosexual on a motorcycle headed north waved at another homosexual on a motorcycle headed south and a trend was set?!..
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
LMAO
laugh
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
Hey guys, have you noticed that they're one of the sponsors of this site? Their banner is at the top of the page as I'm typing this. So be gay if you must, but support 24hr.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
Read the entire thread!! You boys are quite funny...LOL! Especially you Swampy! Maybe it takes a gay to know what gay things really are? Right Swamp? Two wheels are fine, but three wheels are just plain `ol gay!

Lots of gay comments + other `lil tid-bits and pics here and there, and ALL from those who have never ridden on or who have never driven a Can-Am. And all from whom those that more than likely, wouldn`t consider one anyway.

But yet, you guys a bunch of so-called experts?

Well, that`s ok. Because sometimes, many usually look at a cover without reading the book.

I like my "gay" Can-Am Spyder RT-S. Let`s see now.

On tighter curves it handles better and is faster rounding those curves than any 2 wheeled motorcycle on the planet. Ooops, that`s too "gay!"

3 wheel disc brakes with ABS on both front wheels. Stops much better than any 2 wheeled motorcycle. But that`s also too gay!

What other "gay" features are there? Oh, here`s some more!

Optional GPS.....Yep! For all the gay looking Can-Ams and for those who don`t know where they are going when using their Can-Ams. And I wonder how many of you have GPS systems in your cars and trucks?..UH OH! BTW, I never have used the GPS systems in any of my other vehicles. In cars and trucks though GPS are ok, but on a Can-Am? Now that`s pretty damn gay.

Tires....165-65-14`s on the front and a 225-50-15 on the rear. And unlike most motorcycle tires, these have deep trenched car like tread, which is far less likely to hydroplane and lose control on slippery roads when in wet weather....Those tire are way too damn gay!

Stability control.....Of course, it`s way too gay to keep all three Can-Am wheels planted firmly on the ground in the event of a dangerous manuver when avoiding a road hazard, a person, another vehicle, or an accident. Why we can`t have that; too darn gay. Why hell! It`s too damn gay to make something almost flip over proof and much safer.

Traction control.....Another gay feature of the Can Am, is if in the event the rider begins to take a corner to fast in wet weather and begins to lose rear wheel control, the Can-Am sensors (developed by that gay corporation called Bosch) will take over instantly; reducing the engine RPM and the rear wheel RPM so the user can still easily maintain control rounding the curve. Whereas on a motorcycle? More than likely a big spill will occur. Whooops! Too many safety features, are just really too gay!

Now here`s a real good gay feature. Front Can-Am touring windshields raise and lower with a push of a button. Not enough wind, lower it. Too much wind, raise it. That`s gotta be way too gay!

How about this one....Front handgrip heaters and rear handgrip heater and heater controls for the passenger. Talk about a damn puzzy and gay feature? Why hell. Now that`s just way over the top and again, waaaay too gay!

Gotta have tunes. Can-Ams are I-pod compatible, have am-fm stereo radios, oh and have rear speakers for any "gay" or straight person who happens to be a passenger. Ooops! But I don`t know any gay guys. No lesbos either. Oh well!

Reverse gear.....Yep! Push a button and ya got reverse. Is that too gay?

Cruise control....Hey! Just another gay feature on a gay 3 wheeler.

Foot brake.....Just like a car, braking a Can-Am is done with the right foot. Oh, but that`s too gay on a Can-am, but certainly OK for a car or truck? Only true and "straight" manly motor cyclists have hand brakes.

Electronic 5 spd semi-auto trans w/paddle shift (no clutch)....Another feature on the long list of gay features. Afterall, true, manly and straight laced motorcylists, must have a hand clutch and shift gears with their foot.

Can-Am 0 to 60 in 4.5 seconds! That would scare the crap out of most gay folk! Nothin like cleaning out them poop schuuts beforehand? LOL! Right Swamp?

Comfortable and plush leather driver and passenger seating....Gay bikes certainly need that softer seating, if ya know what I mean. LOL! Gotta have that!!! The real men can easily use the firmer seats which most motorcycles have.

I`m havin fun. What else here?

Oh yeah! Unlike manly 2 wheeled bikes, the Can-Ams have an optional screen located on the instrument panel`s center with many mode features. Trip meter, average MPG, average MPH, radio station reading, volume, a digital speedo which matches the dial speedo, etc and etc. Too gay? Probably so!

And oh yeah, I almost forgot. Get low on gas, (about 1.6 gallons remaining), there`s a reminder to fill up soon. Just a reminder for all the gay lookin 3 wheeler owners to get some gas. Whoops! That feature is in cars and trucks too?? But that`s too gay!

Better visibility....A wider form of transport usually means better visiblity to other drivers. Oh but that`s too gay as well.

Better lighting......Not just regular great Zenon headlamps, but optional fog lamps too? Too much light of course is waaaay too gay! Very large tail lites and multiple front and side reflectors. Gay machines need them too.

Independent front suspension.....That is gay!

Electronically push button adjustable rear suspension....Now that is for sure one of the better gay features on a Can-Am, especially after a night of,,,,,well U know,,,packin things in???? Kinda helps the behinds over those bumps.

A combined 41 gallons of storage area between the front, rear and side storage compartments.........Gay trikes certainly need that! Not to mention the optional matching trailor. More space for those longer gay Can-Am retreats and rallys.

Many more additional accessories to choose from to really dress up the Can-Ams, which makes it look even more gay. Stuff like an add-on chrome pkg.

And let`s not forget about that Can-Am wearing apparrel. Mine is probably too loose. Tighter ball bustin pants and clothing is better, especially when riding on a gay machine??? Gotta keep that reputation up don`t ya know!!

So even if there was a 1 in 1,000, a 1 in 5,000, a 1 in 10,000 or a 1 in 100,000 chance of taking a spill on a conventional 2 wheeled bike, it only takes that one time to wind up severely injured or dead if bad enough.

Not me. I`d rather live longer, ride on a much more stable and safer,,,though "gay" lookin machine, while still getting that same great open air 2 wheeled motorcycle feel.

If that`s gay lookin, then so be it.

Does the seat on those have an optional vibrating pickle to sit on ?
Originally Posted by RDFinn
........Ya know! I requested something like that for some extra thrills, but that wasn`t available for some darn reason. I should write the Can-Am people about that option.

That might reduce the capacity of the gas tank which is located under the driver seat.

Compromises and compromises. Less gas, more thrills??? laugh
Posted By: Everyday Hunter Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
$25K, no track record....

Can-Am has no track record? Don't they make a heck of a snow machine? Just askin'.

Steve
Dammit! Forgot one last thing.

When stopped, the gay lookin Can-Am machines have no need for their owners to place their feet on the ground. Just relax`n while a waitin to go.

Balancing the 2 wheelers with both feet or with one foot on the ground, is certainly more manly and far less gay I`d say!

Keeps both hands free for gay waves.
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
$25K, no track record....

Can-Am has no track record? Don't they make a heck of a snow machine? Just askin'.

Steve
...Oh but they do! Bombadier Corp out of Quebec has been building the 3 wheelers since `07. And the Rotex engines they use, have a 60 year history with an estimated 6 million built. They make the Can-Am ATVs, all motors for the Sea Doos, Evinrude motors, + alot of other stuff.

Like I did, you may want to try doing some research homework on Can-Am company history.

And as a matter of fact, the total est mileage by 3 wheeled Can-Am Spyder owners since their intro in `07, is in the millions of miles nationwide.

Happen to chat with the service dept mgr before I bought mine and made a few calls which collaborated with his factoids.

And besides, track record or no track record, with todays software design technology + thousands of miles of road testing which was done prior to the Can-Am intro, it doesn`t take long to prove something new.
Keeps both hands free for gay waves.
.....I`ll try! wink
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
Still trying to think of something gay-er than a CanAm but so far no luck. I mean there's gotta be something........
Still trying to think of something gay-er than a CanAm but so far no luck. I mean there's gotta be something........
.........No Swamp! Your feeble minded brain, will only allow you think of the Can-Am as the gay-est thing on the planet.

You keep pondering though! When you come up with something that`s more gay, please let us all know via your saavy knowledge and such wonderful enlightment.
Posted By: deflave Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
If that long winded post was an effort to make these things sound cool you failed miserably....

Travis

You owe me a keyboard....lol
Originally Posted by deflave
If that long winded post was an effort to make these things sound cool you failed miserably....

Travis
..............Well Good! Because I wasn`t trying to be cool and frankly don`t give a rip that I failed miserably by your estimation.

Besides, it wasn`t by my wind which created that long post. And you could always be somewhat creative and use that round circular device attached to your mouse to either ignore that long post or maybe even choose not to read it??.... grin
Posted By: Mink Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
In all seriousness, what would the bene's be to a Can-Am vice a Goldwing trike or HD Trike?
Posted By: Pete E Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11

Well, here's a clue..

[Linked Image]
anyone every ridden one of these?

i'm considering selling my Honda Shadow to invest in one, but i'd like to hear what folks think about them first

As an alternative, have you considered a road legal ATV?
The new Fudge Packer limited edition Can-Am will be out soon.

Will it come with a free gay looking hat?
I've never seen a gay looking hat so I couldn't say. All I have is a handmade replica of an original 19th century Confederate soldier's hat.

But if you ride your Can-Am to one of the large gay rallys that Can-Am riders attend you should be able to get the Rump Ranger special hat that you're so fond of.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11

Costume included?
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Mink
In all seriousness, what would the bene's be to a Can-Am vice a Goldwing trike or HD Trike?
.........Read my long azz post? Or maybe try doing some research between the 3-wheeled Can Am stance with 2 wheels in the front and one @ the rear, vs the 2 wheelers and the Harley trikes with 2 wheels in the rear and one @ the front?

Sorry boys! Because of motion physics as related to road characteristics and the features that the Can-Ams have in traction control, in stability control, braking features, and because of its 3 wheeled stance or footprint on the road (2 front wheels; one rear), there is no 2 wheeled Harley, no 3 wheeled Harley trike, no 2 wheeled Goldwing or any other 2 wheeled bike on the planet earth that will out slolem, out stop, out manuver or out corner the Can-Ams. The physics simply say no.

3 wheels on the ground with a much wider front footprint of two wheels in the front will win every time over a conventional 2 wheeled bike or the Harley trike. Much easier for a 2 rear wheel and one in the front Harley trike or a 2 wheeled bike to tip over and lose control if a curve is either taken too fast or in the event of an emergency manuver.

As Charlie the Tuna was always told,,,,,,,,,Sorry Charlie!

Posted By: levrluvr Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
They started up legalized civil unions here in Illicagonausea and I heard that the first half dozen or so arrived on Can-Ams. They're offering an AWD version next year for the Subaru crowd.
I've never seen a gay looking hat so I couldn't say. All I have is a handmade replica of an original 19th century Confederate soldier's hat.

But if you ride your Can-Am to one of the large gay rallys that Can-Am riders attend you should be able to get the Rump Ranger special hat that you're so fond of.
...Well Swampo! In case you`re wondering, my ass has always and is,,,,only used as an exit hole.

So if anyone gets any ideas, I`ll just have to kindly stop `em.
Originally Posted by MagMarc

Costume included?
[Linked Image]
.......Looking forward to your expert design!
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
There are quite a few of them up here, must be a 1/2 decent machine.

I'm not trying to equate them with the official ride of the rainbow warriors, but I just can't understand what the appeal is??? If 3 wheels are better than 2, and one is after greater stability, traction control, comfort, etc, why not go with 4 wheels and a soft top sports car? I'm having a hard time believing some sensors and a computer are going to keep you on the road if you take a corner too fast, weather you have 2, 3 or 4 wheels.

If it's the riding experience one is after, you remove as many complications and modern conveniences as possible and pare it down to you and the road.

Originally Posted by levrluvr
They started up legalized civil unions here in Illicagonausea and I heard that the first half dozen or so arrived on Can-Ams. They're offering an AWD version next year for the Subaru crowd.
..........Oh yeah! Please keep me posted. I`ll look for the same out here in So Cal.

I may have to stay out of Northern Calif though. Those wierdos up there may hi-jack my Can-Am.... laugh
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
This should be the only color they come in...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Can-Am Inspiration..!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
While the Spyder isn't that appealing to me I will note that a similarly designed 3 wheeler pulled some incredible G's on the R&T skidpad.
There are handling benefits to the Spyder's design and although they don't look that good to me they are in all ways vastly superior to the more conventionally designed trikes out there.
I'd like to try one some time.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
Originally Posted by Pete E

Well, here's a clue..

[Linked Image]

"Wonky",..ain't no other word to describe it.

If the word "wonky" had yet to be implemented into the English language, it would have occurred at the first sight of that hat.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
C'mon guys, they look like a snowmobile with tires.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
There are quite a few of them up here, must be a 1/2 decent machine.

I'm not trying to equate them with the official ride of the rainbow warriors, but I just can't understand what the appeal is??? If 3 wheels are better than 2, and one is after greater stability, traction control, comfort, etc, why not go with 4 wheels and a soft top sports car? I'm having a hard time believing some sensors and a computer are going to keep you on the road if you take a corner too fast, weather you have 2, 3 or 4 wheels.

If it's the riding experience one is after, you remove as many complications and modern conveniences as possible and pare it down to you and the road.

Well, to answer your question, I do have an `011 Shelby GT500 convertible. 4 wheels on it as as I recall... LOL! The Can-Am is different.

What do 4 wheeled sports cars have on the sides?.....Doors and fenders.

In essense what the Can`Ams do, is offer the rider that same open air motorcycle feel, just as though one were riding on a 2 wheeled motorcycle. But because of its 3 wheeled stance, one gains nearly the same stability and other qualities as you get with a car.

It`s a combination open-aired motorcycle and a car wrapped into one.

Posted By: levrluvr Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
do they make a mower deck for it?
C'mon guys, they look like a snowmobile with tires.
........Kinda does at that!
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
I decide to do a little reading up on the can am. This a review from the first site I hit when I googled it....

"At first glance, one might not know what to make of the Can Am Spyder. It�s sort of a �reverse trike�, the wheels are fairly close in size: two 14� tires in the front, (yes, in the front!) and one 15� tire in the back. It almost looks like a recreational vehicle; as if they mounted a jet ski or a snowmobile on top of three wheels then called it a motorcycle. All I know is that never before have I been on a bike that attracts this much attention! Riders of every brand would stop me at intersections and ask me what it was, what it cost, and where to get one. Abercrombie clad, suburban teenagers came out in droves to say how cool it was. And from every building I walked out of, I would find men circling it in the parking lot. If dogs and babies are �chic magnets�, Spyders are bonified �dude magnets�."

Now really guys,...does that sound the least bit gay to you?.... confused

whistle whistle

Originally Posted by tndrbstr
I decide to do a little reading up on the can am. This a review from the first site I hit when I googled it....

"At first glance, one might not know what to make of the Can Am Spyder. It�s sort of a �reverse trike�, the wheels are fairly close in size: two 14� tires in the front, (yes, in the front!) and one 15� tire in the back. It almost looks like a recreational vehicle; as if they mounted a jet ski or a snowmobile on top of three wheels then called it a motorcycle. All I know is that never before have I been on a bike that attracts this much attention! Riders of every brand would stop me at intersections and ask me what it was, what it cost, and where to get one. Abercrombie clad, suburban teenagers came out in droves to say how cool it was. And from every building I walked out of, I would find men circling it in the parking lot. If dogs and babies are �chic magnets�, Spyders are bonified �dude magnets�."

whistle whistle...........

.....The review forgot to include the gay guys. That`s discrimination! I`m disappointed!
Originally Posted by levrluvr
do they make a mower deck for it?
.......When they do, I`ll come over and cut yer grass ther,,,,,,,BIG BOY!.....How abouts a wink wink.... wink wink
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

.....The review forgot to include the gay guys. That`s discrimination! I`m disappointed!

I thought the last three sentences just about coverd all the bases!.... grin

.......I didn`t see the word "gay" though. Perhaps a few in the crowd.

.......I didn`t see the word "gay" though. Perhaps a few in the crowd.

Perhaps!..... grin

.....The review forgot to include the gay guys.

No it didn't.
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
This should be the only color they come in...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Can-Am Inspiration..!

[Linked Image]
............Now that`s friggin butt ugly gay. A damn pink Can-Am!

See the Can-Am advertisement at the top? Mine is just like that white one touring version on the left,,,,,BUT IN VIPER RED,,,,,thank you!!!

I know what happened. That pink Can-Am must have been owned by a Mary-Kay chickee representative!................OH YUK!
Posted By: T LEE Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
I still think they are kinda neat and since I can't safely ride a 2 wheeler they are up for consideration with the Harley Trike and The Valky trike I looked at today. Need to go to Ft. Myers for a first hand look one of these days.

The one thing about all these new "cruisers" is all the toys I don't need or want, gonna have to check out "stripped down" models if there are any. Don't need an intercom, surround sound stereo, fancy chrome, enough storage for a modern kitchen, CB/FRC radio and on & on.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/01/11
Open air fun with motorcycle sensibilities equals the KTM X-Bow or the Ariel Atom to me.

There is of course that old, but spectacular, standby, the Caterham (Lotus) 7.

.....The review forgot to include the gay guys.

No it didn't.
.........When traveling, I`ll look forward to meeting quite a range of the more dy-verse amongst us then. Whatever they may be.
Open air fun with motorcycle sensibilities equals the KTM X-Bow or the Ariel Atom to me.

There is of course that old, but spectacular, standby, the Caterham (Lotus) 7.

.....Saw that on the HD TV Channel. Show called "Rides"
Make sure you got the radio blasting......"It's raining men.....hallelujah.....it's raining men........."
Make sure you got the radio blasting......"It's raining men.....hallelujah.....it's raining men........."
..........You been watchin too much of that movie "Eraser" with Ahhhhh-nold!

If I visit Northern Caleeeefornia,,,,,,RADIO UP FULL BLAST!
Posted By: Huntz Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
"biker wave"

Let me guess, a homosexual on a motorcycle headed north waved at another homosexual on a motorcycle headed south and a trend was set?!..

So I am guessing you will be at Sturgis this year to tell all the Bikers in the Saloons how gay they look when they wave at each other.I mean if you had a set and thats how you felt,I should expect you there .
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11

grin
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
This link is devoted just to you Swampy!

Looks like alot of gay types?,,offering their Can-Am testimonials. One on there owned some 27 motorcycles since 1966 and converted over.

http://en-us.spyder.brp.com/showroom/testimonials.aspx

Maybe these folks are like alot of people?...Naaaaa, of course not!

Posted By: funshooter Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
I am waiting for the day that they start reporting that inexperienced riders are getting thrown off of them becouse they do not know how to handle them going fast around a corner.

They look scary to me
Posted By: deflave Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11

Travis
..............Well Good! Because I wasn`t trying to be cool and frankly don`t give a rip that I failed miserably by your estimation.

Besides, it wasn`t by my wind which created that long post. And you could always be somewhat creative and use that round circular device attached to your mouse to either ignore that long post or maybe even choose not to read it??.... grin

No need. I'm not bothered by it. But you were obviously expounding on how great these machines are. You just coated it with sarcasm.

Travis
Posted By: Beprepared Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
i have never read a such a long post full of absolutely useless crap posted by people with absolutely no clue whatsoever what they they are talking about

2 entire pages of people talking trash about something they know precisely NOTHING about

i asked for information from people with EXPERIENCE... instead i got several pages of word vomit....
Posted By: okok Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
Your point? smile
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
i have never read a such a long post full of absolutely useless crap posted by people with absolutely no clue whatsoever what they they are talking about

2 entire pages of people talking trash about something they know precisely NOTHING about

i asked for information from people with EXPERIENCE... instead i got several pages of word vomit....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: byc Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
here we gooooooooo! Be Prepared. How appropriate! Especially, here.

Bubba, I don't see this crew being into much more than the below kind of junk. Having said that I bet there are 50+ can-am owners from here within the year.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5272419/1

Just my .02
Originally Posted by okok
Your point? smile

no more point that the rest of the replies smile
Remember the Honda 3-Wheeler death traps.
You already had your mind made up. They look like $hit. They are dangerous. They are gay....
Posted By: levrluvr Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by funshooter
I am waiting for the day that they start reporting that inexperienced riders are getting thrown off of them becouse they do not know how to handle them going fast around a corner.

They look scary to me
......And who`s fault would that be? And what you state can also be very easily done, in fact much easier on a 2 wheeled bike.

When you have some evidence, post it.

They look scary to me
......And who`s fault would that be? And what you state can also be very easily done, in fact much easier on a 2 wheeled bike.

Ummm, sorry Mr. Can-Am. But anybody that rides knows a bike is about as safe as it comes in regards to getting "thrown off". That's why I start my kids out on two wheels and not four or (for [bleep] sakes) three.

Travis

Travis

No need. I'm not bothered by it. But you were obviously expounding on how great these machines are. You just coated it with sarcasm.

Travis
............I own one! Not speaking here like I don`t know what the hell I`m talking about. You and others post from ignorance, where at least I post from experience and plenty of research. I also have talked with other Can-Am owners who HAVE owned regular bikes, WHO have themselves said that they are great. And you have done what??

Sarcasm? Call it what you want.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11

They could be the finest machine made by man, and I'd still be ashamed to be seen on one, without a full face tinted shield helmet. Then get on and off it somewhere that no one knew me.

They could be the finest machine made by man, and I'd still be ashamed to be seen on one, without a full face tinted shield helmet. Then get on and off it somewhere that no one knew me.

Dad?

That summed it up for me!

Travis
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11

Ummm, sorry Mr. Can-Am. But anybody that rides knows a bike is about as safe as it comes in regards to getting "thrown off". That's why I start my kids out on two wheels and not four or (for [bleep] sakes) three.

Travis

I've been riding my whole life and I'll say that I've been on the ground riding my KTM 250EXC and my GasGas 321 TXT trials bike a WHOLE bunch more than when riding my Prairie 650 quad.
Thrown OFF isn't what I'd call it exactly but I've surely been thrown DOWN a whole bunch while riding dirt bikes.

They look scary to me

Travis
.....Telegram to Mr. Travis. If someone were to get thrown off of any bike, it`s because they were either forced off the bike by getting hit or they lost control. Any Can-Am rider can get hit and be thrown off. Not saying they couldn`t.

However, conventional bikes and trikes, if given the same identical road conditions were to lose control, the rider is more apt to get thrown off the bike, whereas on the Can-Am far less likely to be thrown because of the features they put into them.

..............Good! Wouldn`t want you ashamed! I feel purdy good on one!
If the Spyder is as fun to ride as I think it would be I wouldn't give a damn what anyone else thought of me for riding it.

Wouldn't have a problem getting out of a Caterham 7 either.

...See what UUUU started!!!! LOL!.....
Posted By: 700LH Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11

Yep, but then you live in Anaheim. Isn't that where Disney Land is?
Come on bro. A bike MAKES you lean. It's natural. Not so much on a quad. I think you know what myself and others mean when they say "thrown off".

But yeah, a fella can still eat schit on two wheels no doubt.... grin

Travis
If the Spyder is as fun to ride as I think it would be I wouldn't give a damn what anyone else thought of me for riding it.

Wouldn't have a problem getting out of a Caterham 7 either.
.......Agreed. Where some would would never find their azzez on a Can-Am, I wouldn`t be caught dead in one of those POS little "Smart" cars.

There`s always something that people would never see themselves riding in or on.

They look scary to me

Travis
.....Telegram to Mr. Travis. If someone were to get thrown off of any bike, it`s because they were either forced off the bike by getting hit or they lost control. Any Can-Am rider can get hit and be thrown off. Not saying they couldn`t.

However, conventional bikes and trikes, if given the same identical road conditions were to lose control, the rider is more apt to get thrown off the bike, whereas on the Can-Am far less likely to be thrown because of the features they put into them.

I hope you enjoy whatever the [bleep] that thing is they call a Can-Am.

Laters,
Travis
Come on bro. A bike MAKES you lean. It's natural. Not so much on a quad. I think you know what myself and others mean when they say "thrown off".

But yeah, a fella can still eat schit on two wheels no doubt.... grin

Travis
......Well I suppose if ya don`t lean too damn far that everything will be fine. As with all driven vehicles, its up to the operator to know his limitations and the ride he`s on!

As far as losing control and getting thrown off, 3 wheeled stances (with two on the front) is superior. That`s simply the way it is brudder.
Travis....I do! And plan to enjoy my [bleep] Can-Am even more.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
I'm lucky enough to have wrenched, and herded a couple of these,....as well as their four wheeled brethren.

Certainly somewhat less "Gay", if that at all

....talk about flat haul azz around a CORNER,.....fun, too,....once one becomes accustomed to kinda' being the tail on a happy dog.

Have had the pleasure of watching those old JAP engined Morgans fight it out on the racetrack several times.
Looks like a lot of fun.

Yep, but then you live in Anaheim. Isn't that where Disney Land is?
......Yep! Near Fantasyland too. But that has little meaning as to what rides one chooses to own. Just like your comment has little meaning equating what rides one has with where one lives.

Got a Shelby GT500 and an Escolade too. Now where in Disneyland are you going to equate those two?
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11

(sic)

Sadly that describes a vast number of posters on every subject.
Posted By: Beargrease Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
For those people who have given up two wheel motorcycles because of physical issues, why not? As TLEE said, good way to get back into the wind with no worries. I think they make sense for some people. Probably get pretty good gas mileage too.
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

(sic)

Sadly that describes a vast number of posters on every subject.

Exactly! I have an expert opinion on every subject! LOL
Just ask!
Posted By: GeauxLSU Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
I've also read on the web people who say hunting is 'gay' and is really about some 'size complex' issue being dealt with.
I had no idea so many people were so worried about how they felt they looked in the eyes of others.
Posted By: Longbob Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
I could only stomach about half that video. John Edwards should have his azz kicked just for general principles.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
............I own one! Not speaking here like I don`t know what the hell I`m talking about. You and others post from ignorance, where at least I post from experience and plenty of research. I also have talked with other Can-Am owners who HAVE owned regular bikes, WHO have themselves said that they are great. And you have done what??

Have you ever owned a two wheel motorcycle yourself?..If not, then discounting others opinions on comparing the two based soley on the fact that they have never owned the canam is kind of redundant don't you think?

Have you ever owned a two wheel motorcycle yourself?..If not, then discounting others opinions on comparing the two based soley on the fact that they have never owned the canam is kind of redundant don't you think?

actually, no... since i didn't ask for opinions on 2 wheeled models, it's not redundant.

I have a 2 wheeled bike, and don't have any interest in the opinions of those who don't own, and haven't ridden a Spyder.

The purpose of the OP was to find opinions from those with EXPERIENCE with the Spyder, not to start a 150 reply flame fest of ignorance

And to the guy who said i had already made up my mind... wtf are you basing that on?

I ask a question, get 120 replys that have NO relevance to my question, and then you say i had already made up my mind at the beginning? that's just moronic

i still don't know if i want one or not...
That's a good point Beprepared. But they're still gay.

Travis
Posted By: ingwe Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
I just think you are Can-Am-o-phobic...
I think you owe me a beer. WTF happened to gopher season Poo-bah? Had a couple good weekends, then floods, now grass is balls high. Why did you allow this?

Travis
Posted By: nathanial Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
May have been said already as I did not read the whole thread but my opinion is the Spyder is a wheeled vigina and the biker wave is about as gay as it gets. My addition to the vomit.
I think you owe me a beer. WTF happened to gopher season Poo-bah? Had a couple good weekends, then floods, now grass is balls high. Why did you allow this?

Travis

Doooood...sorry about gopher season...it was raining too hard for me to ride My Can-Am up there.... grin
Originally Posted by ingwe

Travis

Doooood...sorry about gopher season...it was raining too hard for me to ride My Can-Am up there.... grin

If you own one I will move to have your Poo-Bah status removed sir. See the Gunny's stance on these vehicles posted above. They have been officially rainbow stamped...

Travis
I'm secure in my masculinity...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How much did that college kid charge to let you do that to him?

Sicko....

Travis

[Linked Image]

Nice Tassels.!

Look how far you have to hang off this thing to take it thru a corner at a decent speed...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah,...That Looks Stable.! Just what I'd want a non-experienced rider to have to do,...hang off the thing going into a curve with oncoming traffic...

Can-Am is comparable to a snowmobile or a bike with training wheels. Test rider says so. For those that don't want the Full experience of riding a bike.

Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
So I am guessing you will be at Sturgis this year to tell all the Bikers in the Saloons how gay they look when they wave at each other.I mean if you had a set and thats how you felt,I should expect you there .

Sorry, I wasn't aware that NAMBLA's annual convention was in Sturgis this year, and no, I won't be there for that, but be sure to give my regards.

...........Redundant? Don`t think so. I know guys that own motorcycles, talked with many others who have, who they themselves HAVE purchased a Can-Am. Interestingly, THEY don`t think its gay at all. How about that!

You don`t need to have ever physically owned a 2 wheeled motorcycle in order to know what the differences or road characteristics are between them vs a Can-Am. It is very simple to discuss with them and compare their many years of riding experiences on conventional 2 wheeled bikes vs their more recent experience riding on Can-Ams.

So no, that`s not redundant.
You already had your mind made up. They look like $hit. They are dangerous. They are gay....
..........C`mon Swamp! Tell me why there are dangerous. Dangerous? How so?

Can`t wait to read your detailed?,,,expert analysis.

...........Redundant? Don`t think so. I know guys that own motorcycles, talked with many others who have, who they themselves HAVE purchased a Can-Am. Interestingly, THEY don`t think its gay at all. How about that!

You don`t need to have ever physically owned a 2 wheeled motorcycle in order to know what the differences or road characteristics are between them vs a Can-Am. It is very simple to discuss with them and compare their many years of riding experiences on conventional 2 wheeled bikes vs their more recent experience riding on Can-Ams.

LOL,...My comments was made because you on one hand, never having owned a motor cycle, contiualy insist you know what your talking about when comparing the two...but on the other hand, You are saying that others who haven't owned the canam can't possibly know what they are talking about when comparing the two....

What does all that really mean?..I guess it means you have two hands...you can do the gay wave from either side.... laugh

Posted By: Jed 1899 Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
Can-Am was making MX and off road bikes in the mid to late 70's..there was nothing made at that time that could touch them.
There was a 250 MX that would leave your hair standing on end.
I'll bet that Spyder is a hoot...if you can keep it grounded.

[Linked Image]

Nice Tassels.!

Look how far you have to hang off this thing to take it thru a corner at a decent speed...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah,...That Looks Stable.! Just what I'd want a non-experienced rider to have to do,...hang off the thing going into a curve with oncoming traffic...

Can-Am is comparable to a snowmobile or a bike with training wheels. Test rider says so. For those that don't want the Full experience of riding a bike.

..........Yep! I do have to lean my body more into the curves IF I take the curves at a higher speeds than normal.

And you`re going to tell me from that video, that his body is so far off that Can-Am when rounding the curves, that any body part will even come close to colliding with any on-coming traffic?? Yeah right! No part of his body ever exceeded or went beyond the widest part of that Can-Am and nether do mine.

Going through curves, a 2 wheeler bike and its rider must lean or tilt to one side, right? With the Can-Am, only the rider leans as needed depending on how fast he takes the curve.

It is kinda like a snow mobile on wheels. Training wheels or not, nanny technology or not, gay or not, or whatever else any criticisms may be, the Can-Am nonetheless offers me an open air ride just exactly like a regular motorcycle does, but with much better stability, stopping, and manuverability. Even former motorcycle owners of many years who now own a Can-Am will tell say exactly the same thing.

Call it gay, NAMBLA (good one there Great Wapoopie), or any other so called gay nickname you wish. And I`ll bet that there won`t be one time where I will ever take a spill off of it, whereas the odds of taking spills or losing control are usually greater for the far "less gay" looking 2 wheeled manly machines?

And I`ll bet that there won`t be one time where I will ever take a spill off of it

Don't get too confident, that's when accidents happen... wink

the far less gay looking 2 wheeled manly machines?

There,..you admit it.! That didn't hurt did it.?
Training wheels or not, nanny technology or not, gay or not, or whatever else any criticisms may be, the Can-Am nonetheless offers me an open air ride just exactly like a regular motorcycle does,

And THAT is all that matters. Ne need to apologise for that...
...Cruise what ya choose...
...I'll stick with 2 wheels.....

LOL,...My comments was made because you on one hand, never having owned a motor cycle, contiualy insist you know what your talking about when comparing the two...but on the other hand, You are saying that others who haven't owned the canam can't possibly know what they are talking about when comparing the two....

What does all that really mean?..I guess it means you have two hands...you can do the gay wave from either side.... laugh

......On this thread, I have based my knowledge on WHAT BOTH current and former motorcycle owners "WHO ALSO" own Can-Ams have said.......THEY ARE "ONE" IN THE SAME!..Got it?

I`ll probably feel more comfortable doing the gay wave with my left hand.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11

[Linked Image]

Nice Tassels.!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Well, we've all been having a fine time bustin' balls here, haven't we? Funny how some threads just degenerate that way here on the 'Fire. Bigsqueeze, don't take it personal. It's just the Campfire, and balls will get busted. laugh

Now, I really appreciated this video review of the pros and cons of the Can-Am Spyder. As I suspected, the handling characteristics are more like a sled than a bike, which is not something I'm personally looking for. But I also agree with the guy when he says this vehicle will attract a lot of people who can't ride a 2-wheeled cycle comfortably or safely, but they still want to ride. More power to 'em, I say. I have friends and patients whose strength, balance, or agility has been compromised by health issues to the point where a 2-wheeled ride isn't in the cards any more. But this innovative trike could be a ticket for some of those folks to ride again, and that is never a bad thing.

I for one won't have a problem giving Can-Am riders a wave when we pass on the highway.

The reviewer says, "... a true motorcyclist will be disappointed in the Spyder when compared to his 2-wheeled bikes...", and after observing him riding it hard on the track, I am inclined to agree. You have to "hang some ham" in tight corners to compensate for the inability to lean. Not my cup of tea. Also, "...The active steering control is like having your mom--or a nanny--on the seat behind you."

So, for the record, I vote against the "gay" label on this sucker. After all, if we're gonna do that, we're on a slippery slope that can only end in calling Bristoe "gay" for riding a Bergman and drinking Ketel One.
laugh
And I`ll bet that there won`t be one time where I will ever take a spill off of it

Don't get too confident, that's when accidents happen... wink

the far less gay looking 2 wheeled manly machines?

There,..you admit it.! That didn't hurt did it.?
Accidents always happen for sure. Through no fault of my own, if someone hits me then they hit me. But when it comes to losing control and taking a spills due to road conditions (slick wet roads), weather, avoiding something or someone and so on, the odds are greatly reduced on a Can-Am.....Sorry! Those are just the facts and not my own facts either.

I`d rather be safer and look gay-er to some or to all vs that manly 2 wheeled motorcycle look with greater odds of being mamed for life or dead.

I only admitted "less gay 2 wheeled manly machines" as a polite form of sarcasm.
Originally Posted by DocRocket

[Linked Image]

Nice Tassels.!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Well, we've all been having a fine time bustin' balls here, haven't we? Funny how some threads just degenerate that way here on the 'Fire. Bigsqueeze, don't take it personal. It's just the Campfire, and balls will get busted. laugh

Now, I really appreciated this video review of the pros and cons of the Can-Am Spyder. As I suspected, the handling characteristics are more like a sled than a bike, which is not something I'm personally looking for. But I also agree with the guy when he says this vehicle will attract a lot of people who can't ride a 2-wheeled cycle comfortably or safely, but they still want to ride. More power to 'em, I say. I have friends and patients whose strength, balance, or agility has been compromised by health issues to the point where a 2-wheeled ride isn't in the cards any more. But this innovative trike could be a ticket for some of those folks to ride again, and that is never a bad thing.

I for one won't have a problem giving Can-Am riders a wave when we pass on the highway.

The reviewer says, "... a true motorcyclist will be disappointed in the Spyder when compared to his 2-wheeled bikes...", and after observing him riding it hard on the track, I am inclined to agree. You have to "hang some ham" in tight corners to compensate for the inability to lean. Not my cup of tea. Also, "...The active steering control is like having your mom--or a nanny--on the seat behind you."

So, for the record, I vote against the "gay" label on this sucker. After all, if we're gonna do that, we're on a slippery slope that can only end in calling Bristoe "gay" for riding a Bergman and drinking Ketel One.
...............You sir, are amongst some of the more mature posters on this thread......
But when it comes to losing control and taking a spills due to road conditions (slick wet roads), weather, avoiding something or someone and so on, the odds are greatly reduced on a Can-Am.....Sorry! Those are just the facts and not my own facts either.

The fact is... thats your onboard NANNY thats keepin the reigns on you...
If you ever decide to "cut the apron strings" you will never look back....

Originally Posted by DocRocket

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...............You sir, are amongst some of the more mature posters on this thread......

Don't hold my disability in the sarcasm department against me... my feelers might get hurt.
laugh

[Linked Image]

Hey, Poobah!! I got a really nice Subaru Forester for sale, should go well with that headdress...
laugh
But when it comes to losing control and taking a spills due to road conditions (slick wet roads), weather, avoiding something or someone and so on, the odds are greatly reduced on a Can-Am.....Sorry! Those are just the facts and not my own facts either.

The fact is... thats your onboard NANNY thats keepin the reigns on you...
If you ever decide to "cut the apron strings" you will never look back....

.....The fact is, that all the std so-called on board nanny features it has, I like. Don`t hold your breath waiting for me to cut the apron strings and never look back. wink
I have a serious question. Assuming proper health and a desire for the "open air" feel. WTF is so complex about operating a motorcycle?

Travis
Well boys! Gonna hit the road for awhile and head down to San Diego. Have a friend down there who has a Harley motorcycle and wishes to see my new Can-Am. His wife will not ride with him on the motorcycle. If she likes the Can-Am, he`ll buy one so they both can ride.

Nice day today for an open air ride.

If anybody waves hi who appears to be gay, I`ll let ya know!......LOL!
Have fun. Don't tip over.

Travis
I have a serious question. Assuming proper health and a desire for the "open air" feel. WTF is so complex about operating a motorcycle?

Travis
...I have a serious answer which you should have already known if you read all my posts!

Aside from being hit by another driver thru no fault of my own, a 3 wheeled stance which has 3 wheeled disc brakes w/ABS on the two fronts, a much wider front tire footprint, where when stopped there`s no need to place any feet on the ground, when there is built in electronic traction control for wet roads and built in stability control for emergency manuvering, (those nanny features), you have something which will out stop and out manuver conventional 2 wheeled bikes, along with the much reduced odds of losing control.

Also, the Can-Ams in many respects are more user friendly aka; 5 spd electronic semi-auto trans w/no clutch is one example, and that I don`t have to place either foot on the ground when stopped is another.

Has nothing to do with how complex or the lack of complexity that conventional bikes have. It`s a matter of having more safety and what I feel more comfortable on when in traffic or on the open road.

And on another thread which I started right after I took delivery of my Can-Am, I admitted to having a built-in deathly fear of 2 wheeled motorbikes. Many years ago, I had two very close friends killed while using their bikes many years ago. Ironically, there were no other vehicles involved in both accidents.

The Can Am simply gives me the same open air motorcycle feel. And because of its different design with the 3 wheeled stance plus the other safety features, I can now bridge that fear, be confident and content with doing some open air riding just as though I were truly on a 2 wheeled motorcycle. The Can Am bridged that gap for me.

I really cannot explain things any better than that.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11

They look scary to me

I did not Bash the Can Am.
My piont was given by the test driver in the video. An inexperianced driver my not lean into the corner and could be troughn off the bike on a two wheeled bike you tend to fall down and yes slide for a very long time if you are lucky enough not to hit something that stops you. Been there done that toooo many times myself. But I personaly would rather slide than be launched.

My opinion was they scare me. I have been riding for over 30 years on 2 wheels and also have a quad in the dirt the quad is great and I do not like riding it on asphalt that too scares me but at least you can slide the back end around on the quad the Can Am looks to be to computer controled to allow that.

Again I am not bashing the Can Am just voiceing my opinion.
To each his own I could care less about what others think of me

Travis
......Don`t worry. Because unless something strikes me hard and forces me to tip over,,,it cannot tip over.

If I were to lets say take a curve too fast, the sensors would take over by quickly reducing the engine`s RPM and quickly slowing down the rear wheel RPM down, which in turn slows the Can-Am down. So even if I tried tipping the thing over rounding a tight curve, the darn thing wouldn`t let me.

Hey! Nice try though! But I`ll do my best not to tip over!

Posted By: NH K9 Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
......Don`t worry. Because unless something strikes me hard and forces me to tip over,,,it cannot tip over.

If I were to lets say take a curve too fast, the sensors would take over by quickly reducing the engine`s RPM and quickly slowing down the rear wheel RPM down, which in turn slows the Can-Am down. So even if I tried tipping the thing over rounding a tight curve, the darn thing wouldn`t let me.

If you trust "drive-by-wire" long enough it will let you down.

George
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
Friggin' two and three wheeled nancy boy sissys.

A real man only needs one wheel...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Oakster Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
Can Am vehicles are more like a snowmobile, than a motorcycle. I wouldnt consider them a motorcycle. They are a summertime snowmobile.

It would be fun to up the horsepower to about 225 and get a fatter rear wheel. Maybe they are front wheel drive... heck, I dont know.
Originally Posted by NH K9

If you trust "drive-by-wire" long enough it will let you down.

George
..........I`ll cross that bridge whenever it comes, IF at all. I tend to favor the IF at all analogy. And if one drives responsibly like their supposed to and not like a raving maniac through curves and like a raving maniac on wet road conditions, then there will be no need for the so called "drive by wire" built-in Can Am features for additional safety in the first place.

Doesn`t matter what arguements any of you Can-Am opponents use.

I`m outta here! Can Am`n it to San Diego now.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
It doesn't matter to me what you choose to ride. You only have to please yourself. I was speaking in general terms and from experience.

I've always preferred to trust my skills behind the wheel. I drive the car/bike, it doesn't drive me.

George
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
Hope you have a gay old time on your ride!... grin
Posted By: birdwacker Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
I had to drive my friends spyder 50 miles home for him after he got sick and couldn't drive anymore.In a nut shell I don't like it. In turns the thing wants to throw you out of the seat. I'll stick to my cruiser.
Posted By: Oakster Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11

Travis

For one thing its much harder, and more dangerous to make an emergency maneauver, Gravel, debris in the road and wet pavement are not your friend on two wheels and anyone who has ridde a bike much knows that is dangerous.

I had a lady pull out of the car wash in her pick up, directly in front of me. As she accelerated, rear end dipped down and laid a 'tail gate' wide ribbon of water on the road. When I had to hid the brakes on my harley to avoid running into here, I was sliding all over the place. Lucky I didnt go down on the pavement, or eat a bumper. On a can-am, I wouldnt have had to worry about hitting the pavement.

Had debris fall off a trailer before as well. I am much more worried about a 4" round post in the road when I am on my Harley that I think I would be if I were on a Can Am.

Travis

Hey! Nice try though! But I`ll do my best not to tip over!

Ok. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Travis
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/02/11
Does anyone know if the Carver is available here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carver_%28automobile%29
Arrived safely down here in the beautiful parts of northern San Diego just south of Del Mar. Had a few thumbs up on the way down. Though I didn`t signal them to pullover to ask if they were gay......LOL!

After some a few simple instructions and a little practice, my buddy and his wife took a little 15-20 minute tour including going up and down the freeway. Like me, she has a deathly fear of 2 wheeled motorbikes.

They got back a few minutes ago. I`m now sitting here in their home, and hubby has just been told by the wifey to get a Can-Am touring RT ASAP! He too says, "that he`ll be more than happy to write the check."

And this is coming from a diehard motorcycle fanatic who has owned 10 Harleys over the past 35 years.

The best thing is, is that both of them can now enjoy open air riding,,,together.

17 years ago, I introduced them for the first time to each other as they both were in my class for several months, and now I intro them to a Can-Am...........

Posted By: Teal Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/03/11
I've raced 2 wheeled motorcycles, quads and snowmobiles. Can-Am being basically a street snowmobile in the handling department having ridden such things.

AT SPEED - it's much easier to get thrown off a sled in a turn. That's why on a sled/quad you lean way to the inside when doing so and on a cycle - you simply pitch the bike over and apply throttle, relatively you're in the middle of the bike as apposed to hanging off the side of it.

The quad is slightly easier to handle than a sled, due to the ability to slide the rear end and keep machine under your ass. Can-Am's rear tire precludes someone from doing this.

IMO - unless I was in some what physically disabled, I can't see owning a Can-Am. It really offers no advantage to me, an able bodied rider. IMO the wide front and non-slidable rear is a distinct disadvantage (safety wise) because I have to apply much more body english to take a turn at speed. Shifting weight to the inside and possibly lifting the outside leg off the peg. If you can't take a turn at speed - why own the damn thing?

Speaking with my mother, who in her 50's puts 30,000+ miles a year on her Harley (5 feet tall and living in WI, that's more than most RUBs will do in a lifetime), she wouldn't give up the 2 wheels either.

ETA - any idiot can own X bikes in Y years - how many miles did they put on em? Love hearing these guys brag about their 2008 Softail with 6,000 miles on it. See someone trade in a 3.5 year old Harley with 98,000 miles on it - that's a biker.....
Posted By: okok Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/03/11
Arrived safely down here in the beautiful parts of northern San Diego just south of Del Mar. Had a few thumbs up on the way down. Though I didn`t signal them to pullover to ask if they were gay......LOL!

After some a few simple instructions and a little practice, my buddy and his wife took a little 15-20 minute tour including going up and down the freeway. Like me, she has a deathly fear of 2 wheeled motorbikes.

They got back a few minutes ago. I`m now sitting here in their home, and hubby has just been told by the wifey to get a Can-Am touring RT ASAP! He too says, "that he`ll be more than happy to write the check."

And this is coming from a diehard motorcycle fanatic who has owned 10 Harleys over the past 35 years.

The best thing is, is that both of them can now enjoy open air riding,,,together.

17 years ago, I introduced them for the first time to each other as they both were in my class for several months, and now I intro them to a Can-Am...........

This is pure B.S.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/03/11
Originally Posted by okok

This is pure B.S.

Supposedly owned 10 Harley's over the years, but the wife is deathly scared of two wheels. Fiction at it's finest!.. eek
Posted By: 700LH Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/03/11
This is pure B.S.

Yup
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/03/11
This is pure B.S.

Yup
.......Well its true boys! Per them, not once has she rode with him on the back of any Harley he`s owned since they`ve known each other. They always have taken one of their cars when they have gone anywhere together.

So what can I tell ya. You think it`s bullschitt then fine. You can think it`s bullschitt until pigs start flying. All I did was just pass along the story.
Originally Posted by teal
I've raced 2 wheeled motorcycles, quads and snowmobiles. Can-Am being basically a street snowmobile in the handling department having ridden such things.

AT SPEED - it's much easier to get thrown off a sled in a turn. That's why on a sled/quad you lean way to the inside when doing so and on a cycle - you simply pitch the bike over and apply throttle, relatively you're in the middle of the bike as apposed to hanging off the side of it.

The quad is slightly easier to handle than a sled, due to the ability to slide the rear end and keep machine under your ass. Can-Am's rear tire precludes someone from doing this.

IMO - unless I was in some what physically disabled, I can't see owning a Can-Am. It really offers no advantage to me, an able bodied rider. IMO the wide front and non-slidable rear is a distinct disadvantage (safety wise) because I have to apply much more body english to take a turn at speed. Shifting weight to the inside and possibly lifting the outside leg off the peg. If you can't take a turn at speed - why own the damn thing?

Speaking with my mother, who in her 50's puts 30,000+ miles a year on her Harley (5 feet tall and living in WI, that's more than most RUBs will do in a lifetime), she wouldn't give up the 2 wheels either.

ETA - any idiot can own X bikes in Y years - how many miles did they put on em? Love hearing these guys brag about their 2008 Softail with 6,000 miles on it. See someone trade in a 3.5 year old Harley with 98,000 miles on it - that's a biker.....
....Can Ams aren`t for everyone but OK for me. And besides, when I take curves at normal speeds and even a little faster, I have no problems whatsoever with any body english. I`m very stable as a matter of fact. I don`t drive like a maniac and don`t do curves at excessive high speeds like alot of motorcyclists I`ve seen. So any lack of body stability or body english going into a turn and through the turns doesn`t concern me. On the Can Am, I`m more than comfortable and stable going around the curves at the speed limits and when I exceed the limit a few mph. I`d rather be on something where I lean to one side through curves, rather than be on a motorcycle as it must lean as well as the rider. Do have a few thousand miles of bicycle riding experience.

Don`t know how many miles he puts on them before he trades for a new one or a newer used one every 3 years or so. I didn`t ask. I do know he drives them alot and always without the wife. And frankly, that is really ir-relevant here anyway. And so what if he likes to up grade every 3 years or so.
Posted By: Teal Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/03/11
You missed it - I can trade up every 3 years and brag about all the bikes I've owned - like its supposed to give credibility or I can trade every 3 years and put just under 100k miles on them in those 3 years.

My 57 year old mother does that - living where we have snow on the ground 6 months a year.

Just saying that a dude's had X bikes in Y years don't mean chit to me because most of them put less than 2000 miles a year on...
Posted By: zeebill Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/03/11
New Here but old else where! Got my 2nd Can Am last year and finally figuring out how it likes to be set up and ridden after 6500 miles on it. 67 years old Disabled Vet with bad pegs and I can not hold a 2 wheeler up when I stop it. The Spyder was the answer for me. I had not been on a 2 wheeler since 1967 so my motorcycle experience had long since faded.

First off a Can Am Spyder is not a motorcycle by any stretch of the imagination! It doesn't handle remotely like one in anyway I remember. More like a 4 wheeler or maybe even Ski-Doo! It suffers greatly from trailing throttle under steer, another words when you let off it wants to go straight. If you let off before an upcoming turn and excellerate through the corner or keep the hammer down and not lift it is happier. I live in WV so there are many corners that are small mountain roads and blind to the eye ahead so I practice this daily. After awhile it gets to be old hat. Leaning is optional after you set the air pressures, preload springs on the front shocks, and rear air shock all the way stiffer. It really could use a stronger front anti-roll bar too. They missed the set-up completely on the front end but then I have found they subcontracted its design to a seperate company and that may explain the fact that it is way too soft and wallors around like a whale looking for a new home.

It gets horrid MPG if ridden at all spiritedly like 24 to 26 MPG and if you keep it below 5000 RPMs gets near 28 MPG. I have a 2010 Spyder RT-S now which is the cruiser and touring model. I it is loaded with every in creation I could want. Cruise control, power windscreen, power brakes with ABS, power steering (which they had a recall on), AM-FM sterio with controls for front and rear, I-Pod set-up, heated front and rear hand grips, fog and driving lights, and an Eletronic Control center left grip mounted that boggles the mind. I opted for the electronic paddle controlled transmission too after hearing the sticks had all kinds of problems with shifter control positioners when they first came out.

I previously had a 2008 RS (sport and more spartan model of Spyder) which I drove from WV to Gold Beach, Oregon, a total of 3417 miles in 9 days with a one day layover in Cheyanne for service and tourist activity. It was faster and lighter than my current trike and got better MPG (around 30 MPG) but had a smaller windscreen and was like 4 seconds 0-60. It would blow any Harley I ever ran with off till about 125 when they would catch me if they tried. I drove open wheel formula cars and many other racers for many years so I still drive somewhat aggressively and generally attack the road at times.

Most 2 wheelers are very friendly and curious about the Spyder and I have made some good friends amoung the Harleys and MBW's I have rode with over the years. I have traded off with Harley riders for highway trips where I stop little and they have many of the same comments I have made about the Spyder.

Overall I say if you can still safely ride a 2 wheeler stay on it till your body tells you it is time. Comparing it to a conventional trike set up it wins hands down handling wise. Cost wise versus one of them it comes with more on it versus them stock for muchless money. Then there is the problem of finding a conventional trike which when I was looking was a big problem. They were scarce and dealers told you what you were going to pay and it was take it or leave it. The economy now may have changed that a bit as people have less spare and spendable cash for recreational products so one may be able to bargain a bit more now.

I got my 2010 RT-S with a matching trailer for a shade over $29,000 and when I shopped for the same thing in a Harley I was in the $35,000 to $40,000 range if I could have found one. It is way to computerized as most current vehicles today are for my taste but I am an older generation then the current computer savy kids today. Has a "Nanny" type handling safety program that throws you into Limp mode when you really least of all need it but that is what modern people seem to like to buy and trust? Not my cup of tea but the ABS braking has saved my bacon on a wet interstate ramp once already. It is possible to overdrive the "Nanny" in certain conditions and applications of the throttle and we will leave that as it sets or I will be getting sued for wrongfull death or something.

It has a wild look to it that hides the fact it is really as aerodynamic as a barn door and very twitchy in crosswinds. When I went through Kansas on the RS I hit 105 degree temps, 38 mile and hour cross winds with gusts to 58 mile per hour but I managed to keep moving and stayed safe till I finally ran out of it.

I figured it out and I now have over 20,000 miles on one of these trikes with a racing backround so I profess to a lot of faith in my ability to make something go fast and be trustworthy in the handling department. Granted they are not a motorcycle but they keep this still alive and kicking old fart on the rode open wheeling and having fun! Next project is a Dirt Late Model for the street! Now that should keep me out of trouble for a couple of years I guess! Bill
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/03/11
Thanks for your insight full input Zeebill,
And Welcome to the 'fire
Posted By: 9point3 Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/03/11
Never understood the need to dress up like you are in a gay S&M convention with the black leather garb and then ride around in tight knit groups sneering at folks who don't ride the type of bike that they are on.

Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/03/11
Originally Posted by 9point3
Never understood the need to dress up like you are in a gay S&M convention with the black leather garb and then ride around in tight knit groups sneering at folks who don't ride the type of bike that they are on.

Folks in tight knit groups that sneer down thier nose at other folks is far from being limited to just motorcycle riders....

As far as the leather goes, That is the only line of defence between the rider and the asphalt should the bike go down..and if anyone rides long enogh they WILL go down at some point. Altho the majority of folks do tend to do it as fashion statement more than anything else...
...my leathers are brown with road rash all over em,.... and I personaly don't care what anyone else rides...

This is pure B.S.

Yup
.......Well its true boys! Per them, not once has she rode with him on the back of any Harley he`s owned since they`ve known each other. They always have taken one of their cars when they have gone anywhere together.

So what can I tell ya. You think it`s bullschitt then fine. You can think it`s bullschitt until pigs start flying. All I did was just pass along the story.

Tell ya what, I usta live in your area, in fact the first full time paying job I ever had was in Anaheim.
Just south of you is the Ortega highway, a great place to ride. I have rode there and took that HWY to work in Dana Point daily for some time. Take you three wheeler there, and see if you can keep up with the guys that ride that road on their sport bikes. Then report back to us how you can keep up with a motorcycle with that toy you own. If your gonna say you can, your gonna need video to prove it.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/03/11
Well you know that ain't gonna happen!.... laugh
Originally Posted by teal
You missed it - I can trade up every 3 years and brag about all the bikes I've owned - like its supposed to give credibility or I can trade every 3 years and put just under 100k miles on them in those 3 years.

My 57 year old mother does that - living where we have snow on the ground 6 months a year.

Just saying that a dude's had X bikes in Y years don't mean chit to me because most of them put less than 2000 miles a year on...
....Didn`t miss a thing. If he chooses to drive each bike that he`s owned 2000 miles per year or 20,000 miles per year, what`s the big deal? So freekin what?

And I`m not concerned with what means chit to you regardless of how many miles or the lack thereof he rides.
Mr 700LH............I didn`t buy the Can-Am to go into 2 wheeled bike territory here in Orange County Calif in order to keep up with any 2 wheeled motorcycle, 2 wheeled sport bikes, or race any of them from 0-60, race them in the quarter mile, or race around any curves.....Understand that?

It is a 3 wheeled touring machine, and because of its 3 wheeled (ABS on the front) disc brakes, it can stop faster than any 2 wheeled motorbike, out manuver any 2 wheeled motorbike in case of avoiding something with all 3 wheels remaining on the ground (due to its built-in stability control) in case of that event, and vs 2 wheeled bikes it is safer on wet roads especially rounding curves because of its built in traction control, which keeps the rider from losing control IN CASE he enters a curve going to fast.

Now in those three categories, disc brakes w ABS, traction control and stability control, you ain`t gonna find those features on any 2 wheeled bike in existence. And if you do please let me know and who the maker is.

Conventional bikes have their pro and cons just as the Can Ams do. All depends on what one wants. Vs the 2 wheeler fans and their philosophies which are all and good, I prefer the overall pros and philosophy or concept behind the Can Am.
Originally Posted by zeebill
New Here but old else where! Got my 2nd Can Am last year and finally figuring out how it likes to be set up and ridden after 6500 miles on it. 67 years old Disabled Vet with bad pegs and I can not hold a 2 wheeler up when I stop it. The Spyder was the answer for me. I had not been on a 2 wheeler since 1967 so my motorcycle experience had long since faded.

First off a Can Am Spyder is not a motorcycle by any stretch of the imagination! It doesn't handle remotely like one in anyway I remember. More like a 4 wheeler or maybe even Ski-Doo! It suffers greatly from trailing throttle under steer, another words when you let off it wants to go straight. If you let off before an upcoming turn and excellerate through the corner or keep the hammer down and not lift it is happier. I live in WV so there are many corners that are small mountain roads and blind to the eye ahead so I practice this daily. After awhile it gets to be old hat. Leaning is optional after you set the air pressures, preload springs on the front shocks, and rear air shock all the way stiffer. It really could use a stronger front anti-roll bar too. They missed the set-up completely on the front end but then I have found they subcontracted its design to a seperate company and that may explain the fact that it is way too soft and wallors around like a whale looking for a new home.

It gets horrid MPG if ridden at all spiritedly like 24 to 26 MPG and if you keep it below 5000 RPMs gets near 28 MPG. I have a 2010 Spyder RT-S now which is the cruiser and touring model. I it is loaded with every in creation I could want. Cruise control, power windscreen, power brakes with ABS, power steering (which they had a recall on), AM-FM sterio with controls for front and rear, I-Pod set-up, heated front and rear hand grips, fog and driving lights, and an Eletronic Control center left grip mounted that boggles the mind. I opted for the electronic paddle controlled transmission too after hearing the sticks had all kinds of problems with shifter control positioners when they first came out.

I previously had a 2008 RS (sport and more spartan model of Spyder) which I drove from WV to Gold Beach, Oregon, a total of 3417 miles in 9 days with a one day layover in Cheyanne for service and tourist activity. It was faster and lighter than my current trike and got better MPG (around 30 MPG) but had a smaller windscreen and was like 4 seconds 0-60. It would blow any Harley I ever ran with off till about 125 when they would catch me if they tried. I drove open wheel formula cars and many other racers for many years so I still drive somewhat aggressively and generally attack the road at times.

Most 2 wheelers are very friendly and curious about the Spyder and I have made some good friends amoung the Harleys and MBW's I have rode with over the years. I have traded off with Harley riders for highway trips where I stop little and they have many of the same comments I have made about the Spyder.

Overall I say if you can still safely ride a 2 wheeler stay on it till your body tells you it is time. Comparing it to a conventional trike set up it wins hands down handling wise. Cost wise versus one of them it comes with more on it versus them stock for muchless money. Then there is the problem of finding a conventional trike which when I was looking was a big problem. They were scarce and dealers told you what you were going to pay and it was take it or leave it. The economy now may have changed that a bit as people have less spare and spendable cash for recreational products so one may be able to bargain a bit more now.

I got my 2010 RT-S with a matching trailer for a shade over $29,000 and when I shopped for the same thing in a Harley I was in the $35,000 to $40,000 range if I could have found one. It is way to computerized as most current vehicles today are for my taste but I am an older generation then the current computer savy kids today. Has a "Nanny" type handling safety program that throws you into Limp mode when you really least of all need it but that is what modern people seem to like to buy and trust? Not my cup of tea but the ABS braking has saved my bacon on a wet interstate ramp once already. It is possible to overdrive the "Nanny" in certain conditions and applications of the throttle and we will leave that as it sets or I will be getting sued for wrongfull death or something.

It has a wild look to it that hides the fact it is really as aerodynamic as a barn door and very twitchy in crosswinds. When I went through Kansas on the RS I hit 105 degree temps, 38 mile and hour cross winds with gusts to 58 mile per hour but I managed to keep moving and stayed safe till I finally ran out of it.

I figured it out and I now have over 20,000 miles on one of these trikes with a racing backround so I profess to a lot of faith in my ability to make something go fast and be trustworthy in the handling department. Granted they are not a motorcycle but they keep this still alive and kicking old fart on the rode open wheeling and having fun! Next project is a Dirt Late Model for the street! Now that should keep me out of trouble for a couple of years I guess! Bill
.....Nice post Bill........In your case due to your medical conditions, the Spyder RT was the right answer for you. What color did ya get?

Though given the fact that I don`t have your medical conditions, I still wished for the 3 wheeled stance. Wanted a user friendly, open air riding touring machine, with no clutch and no putting any feet on the ground when stopped to worry about. Like all the features including the adj up and down touring windshield. Basically I have all the "nanny" goodies that you have too; cruise control, heated grips, am-fm radio and all the rest.

My `011 RT-S in viper red in my opinion, gives to me all the handling and stopping capability that I require. Although I`m not quite experiencing your sentiments when decelerating for the curves and accelerating through them.

Though not a motorcycle, Can Ams still offer the same open air riding just like the 2 wheeled motorcycles do. It is also intersting to note that you mention your Can Am ABS system saved your bacon so to speak.

But regardless of the two philosophies, 2 wheeled motorbikes vs 3 wheeled Can Ams and setting aside which is faster on straightaways, in 1/4 mile runs, 0 to 60 runs or anything else, my priorities were stopping distances, manuvering stability, and traction stability in wet weather. And in talking with several avid and very experienced 2 wheeled biker fans who now own a Can Am themselves, when it comes to those 3 categories alone and by themselves, no 2 wheeled bike can honestly compare.

I noticed also that when in the crosswinds you feel it. That`s what happens when you have more surface area for the wind to hit which the Can Ams do have. So that`s a given in that dept. I slow down if I have to and things are fine, like yesterday on a round tripper to San Diego. Still able to keep her going pretty straight. Don`t know yet if I`ll get the matching trailor. I guess that`ll depend on how lite my girlfriend is capable of packing?? Yeah right! Probably wind up getting one, or I`ll just keep the trailor option a secret from her?....LOL!

My gas mileage is similar to what you`re getting. But, the more surface area there is on any thing for the wind to hit + with the 3 wheeled stance, I fully expected a mileage reduction which was of little concern to me beforehand. Over the last nearly 3 weeks, 1200+ miles on mine now. Just goin out and having some fun. Reception amongst the "normal" bikers has been excellent btw.

Two different philosophies for open air riding.

Good luck with your Can Am, happy touring, welcome to the forum, and all the best wishes to you.

On tighter curves it handles better and is faster rounding those curves than any 2 wheeled motorcycle on the planet. Ooops, that`s too "gay!"

You said that and a whole [bleep] more BS is the only reasonI ever replied to you in the first place. If your gonna spout a lot of crap your gonna get replies that call BS.
I could give a care WTF you ride or where you ride, just don't expect guys to be complete mushrooms you can keep in the dark and feed BS to.
BTW, that Mustang you have, if you really have one, would be great fun on the Ortega too. If you have the balls to drive it like it should/could be driven.

Have a good day.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/03/11
Big, many bikes sport ABS and traction control these days and at least one is offered with an airbag.

You said that and a whole [bleep] more BS is the only reasonI ever replied to you in the first place. If your gonna spout a lot of crap your gonna get replies that call BS.
I could give a care WTF you ride or where you ride, just don't expect guys to be complete mushrooms you can keep in the dark and feed BS to.
BTW, that Mustang you have, if you really have one, would be great fun on the Ortega too. If you have the balls to drive it like it should/could be driven.

Have a good day.
...Ya know what there 700 LH.....You`re truly,,,a real "BIG" azz hole + a few other choice names I can think of.

You tell me to go race here and race there and try and keep up with this or that. So if you don`t care what the hell I ride as you say, then stop with your idiotic suggestions,,,azz hole!

That`s right! Bring up the Mustang...You are a real azz and a damn clown!
Big, many bikes sport ABS and traction control these days and at least one is offered with an airbag.

........Who are the makers?
Many BMW's sport ABS as do many other makes.
The 1992 Honda ST1100 sported traction control and now Ducati, Kawasaki, and many others do as well.

The Honda GoldWing is the only bike with an airbag AFAIK.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/03/11
Thanks for your post zeebill, and welcome to the 'Fire. Like I said earlier, I see the Can-Am as a great option for the disabled biker. Your case proves it. Good for you! Hope to run across you on the road one of these days.
...Ya know what there 700 LH.....You`re truly,,,a real "BIG" azz hole + a few other choice names I can think of.

From a macho guy like you,, I consider this a complement
thanks laugh
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/03/11
The 1992 Honda ST1100 sported traction control and now Ducati, Kawasaki, and many others do as well.

The ST 1300's have ABS as well.

On tighter curves it handles better and is faster rounding those curves than any 2 wheeled motorcycle on the planet.

Gonna have to call BS on this one as well.

My ST1300 wasn't as fast or as nimble as some of the bikes out there, but I know damn well it will take the curves better than a Gay Spyder and leave it sitting there in exhaust fumes.

[Linked Image]
Big, you need to relax a bit buddy.

You take criticism of your preferences and choices far too seriously. Whether it's the Spyder or short barrels on your rifles.

Repeatedly mentioning shooting someone or beating them to a pulp is concerning and disconcerting to say the least.

Relax and enjoy what you enjoy and heck with the others if they don't like it.

On tighter curves it handles better and is faster rounding those curves than any 2 wheeled motorcycle on the planet.

My ST1300 wasn't as fast or as nimble as some of the bikes out there, but I know damn well it will take the curves better than a Gay Spyder and leave it sitting there in exhaust fumes.

[Linked Image]

Nice bike 444.

Those Honda ST's are superb sport touring bikes but I have a soft spot for the late Aprilia Futura.

.......Ok then. Let assume you`re correct and you probably are. In regards to reduced stopping distances then, wouldn`t a 3 wheeled system stop faster than a two? And wouldn`t the traction control and stability control also be better with a three wheeled stance vs a two?

Please check this out this link and these Can-Am videos for me and please tell me if two wheeled bikes have the these same capabilities in those three particular areas. And if so, then regarding those three areas only, wouldn`t the Can-Am 3 wheeled stance be better for maintaining rider control if in the event a quick lane change, approaching a curve too fast on wet roads and for reduced stopping distances? Am I getting wrong info from experienced two wheeled bikers who have bought Can-Ams?

Please check this out. Am I missing something here?

http://en-us.spyder.brp.com/showroom/photos-and-videos.aspx

Click onto the "videos13" and find the following three boxes below and play the videos.

"About traction control"
"About stability control"
"About anti-lock brakes"

Thank you.

Looking forward to a reply.
Big, you need to relax a bit buddy.

You take criticism of your preferences and choices far too seriously. Whether it's the Spyder or short barrels on your rifles.

Repeatedly mentioning shooting someone or beating them to a pulp is concerning and disconcerting to say the least.

Relax and enjoy what you enjoy and heck with the others if they don't like it.
....Maybe so. And I should also forget about the provocation as well from 700 LH.

[Linked Image]
....Nice bike! Here`s the link I just posted;

http;//en-us.spyder.brp.com/showroom/photos-and-videos.aspx

Click on "vidoes13" and find these three boxes and play the videos.

about traction control (do you have that rear wheel feature?)
about stability control (on a cone slolem, your bike can corner the same?)
about anti-lock brakes (stop as quickly?)

If so, then more power to you. Then all the info I get from experienced 2 wheeled bikers who now own "gay" Can Ams might be wrong then.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/04/11
Mr 700LH............I didn`t buy the Can-Am to go into 2 wheeled bike territory here in Orange County Calif in order to keep up with any 2 wheeled motorcycle, 2 wheeled sport bikes, or race any of them from 0-60, race them in the quarter mile, or race around any curves.....Understand that?

It is a 3 wheeled touring machine, and because of its 3 wheeled (ABS on the front) disc brakes, it can stop faster than any 2 wheeled motorbike, out manuver any 2 wheeled motorbike in case of avoiding something with all 3 wheels remaining on the ground (due to its built-in stability control) in case of that event, and vs 2 wheeled bikes it is safer on wet roads especially rounding curves because of its built in traction control, which keeps the rider from losing control IN CASE he enters a curve going to fast.

Now in those three categories, disc brakes w ABS, traction control and stability control, you ain`t gonna find those features on any 2 wheeled bike in existence. And if you do please let me know and who the maker is.

Conventional bikes have their pro and cons just as the Can Ams do. All depends on what one wants. Vs the 2 wheeler fans and their philosophies which are all and good, I prefer the overall pros and philosophy or concept behind the Can Am.

BMW,Kawasaki,Suzuki,Aprila,Ducati,KLM,and many more have ABS on front and back plus traction control .You do not need Stability control on a Bike as they are a Gyroscope.Any of these bikes can brake better and do tighter curves than the Can Am.You need to go to a track like Road America when they offer track weekends and you will find out how full of horse puckey you are!!!!Here you are if you can ride a Can Am like this I will kiss your ass and give you two hours to draw a crowd.We will have to think of what you can do for me if you can`t!!!! whistle
http://youtu.be/M5u2z0sdcE8
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/04/11
Well, I won't sling manure about the Can-Ams, I saw one yesterday tooling down the road and it looked like the operator was enjoying himself. It seemed to make him happy, so why should anyone else give a rip? Ain't that what it's all about?

OTOH, I was very comfortable in my pickup with the A/C running full-bore, also enjoying myself and listening to the radio without having to have it blast the whole world around me. I like FOUR tires on the ground. That's TWICE as good as a motorcycle, in my book. But I won't harangue anyone about that.
Posted By: Teal Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/04/11
...Didn`t miss a thing. If he chooses to drive each bike that he`s owned 2000 miles per year or 20,000 miles per year, what`s the big deal? So freekin what?

And I`m not concerned with what means chit to you regardless of how many miles or the lack thereof he rides.

You're the one who was trying to say that guys who've owned so many bikes are making the switch as if to say that the Can-Am is better. Afer all Bob with 15 motorcycles to his credit has switched to the Can-am. BFD he had 15 bikes if he didn't ride the damned things. That's my point.

AS to the stopping with 3 wheels and ABS faster than a 2 wheeler --- well then I guess a logging truck should stop danged instant then huh?

A Kawasaki ZX-6r weights approx 386 lbs dry, a Can Am is 697 - simple physics and inertia tells me that most likely, the Can Am is gonna roll just a bit farther than a motorcycle....
Posted By: Beprepared Re: Can-Am Spyder - 06/05/11
my bike weighs 593lbs... it has 2 wheels, and i don't ride it in ANY rain because i have no confidence in being able to stop it on wet ground

i think a 697lb vehicle with twin front wheels and ABS would be easier to stop
© 24hourcampfire