Home
Im 42 yrs old. When given the opportunity, I find myself really wanting to give advice to younger guys I encounter at work, hunting trips, etc. I have come to realize that my 20's and 30's were magical and I did not fully realize it. I feel there were things that I should have capitalized on but diddn't because I lacked the knowledge, confidence, or inspiration. That got me thinking about what you guys 60 and over might have for advice for someone my age. I would really like for you guys to give me your best advice on life in general (relationships with wife, kids, friends; money; career; health; religion; hobby)etc. Basically, what have you done right and what have you done wrong. What do you feel most strongly about. What do you wish you had known, done, or been told 20- 40 years ago. Im looking for serious stuff here. Never hurts to take a look in the mirror and seek out information that can be used for self improvement. thanks a million.
I'm going to be 65 in a few weeks, like about three. I've given this some thought myself. I'll think on it some more and report back. I want to give you an honest answer.
Same advice an old real estate salesman gave me:

"Get a lot while you're young."

Well, I would, but you kids never listen anyway. wink
I've being married to the same woman for 41years. My advice for a long and loving relationship is:

Don't make eye contact.
"YES DEAR" Should be a normal response to just about every thing, but hell I'm still learning, I'm on the third wife!!
About to hit 66. I try to restrain myself and only offer advice or help when asked. When it comes to hunting and fishing locales, I tend to be very secretive. I've divulged such in the past, only to find the friend and his friends occupying the campsite in a subsequent season.
only advice I would give is to stay DEBT FREE, live within your means, treat your wife and family with love and respect, maintain your relationship with God, and don't talk back to cops during traffic stops.
Join the Free Masons.
Don't wait as long as I did ( age 50 )
They WIll make a good man , better.

1 Put your faith in Christ and believe in Him and His Word. An active faith.
2 Realize that you and no one else will ever be perfect.
3 Get used to pain and hard times because they are a'coming.
(Arthritis etc.)
4 Stay completely away from booze and cigs. (Cheap women too)

If you get confused go back to number 1.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
I was going to advise that just because you have something to say doesn't mean someone should hear it. Then I read ColsPaul's post and liked it better. Do it. They sure helped me.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
only advice I would give is to stay DEBT FREE, live within your means, treat your wife and family with love and respect, maintain your relationship with God, and don't talk back to cops during traffic stops.

Some excellent advice there.

But, although as a general principle I fully support and respect LE, I do tend to talk back to cops at those traffic hold-ups if they are intrusive beyond reason and the least bit arrogant.

(Arthritis etc.)

Two of the best pieces of advice I may have ever seen. Wish I had learned them in my teens. When I did learn it was a lot later with a lot of dirty water under the bridge. But life got a whole lot better when I did learn and acted upon these.
Originally Posted by CCCC

Some excellent advice there.

But, although as a general principle I fully support and respect LE, I do tend to talk back to cops at those traffic hold-ups if they are intrusive beyond reason and the least bit arrogant.

I was running late on the way into work this morning. Doing a little over 50 in a 35 MPH zone.
Cop pulled me over. He was repectful and so was I. He gave me a warning ticket. No points and no $. smile
Like the ancient Greeks said, all things in moderation.

Except that gay sex stuff. Stay away from that.
Keep your own counsel unless asked. If you give advice and it turns out wrong they are going to hate you for it. If the advice turns out good they won't like you because you are smarter than they are. grin

Since you asked though:

Remember that you can not drink up all the alcohol in the world as they will keep on making it.

Remember that you can not make love to all the women in the world because you will never meet most of them. Instead find one good one and stick with her what ever happens. Notice I said good one. Kissing wears out cooking don't.

There ain't a damn thing that you can buy with money you don't have. Stay out of debt slavery as much as possible.

Never lie to yourself.

Nobody in this world has to love you.

Respect is earned.

Know your limitations.
Just about to hit 61.

There are probably a ton of life lessons that can be passed on here but I will stay with outdoors, hunting/fishing/camping, etc. While not risking your family's financial security and within your own established parameters, don't keep putting off those great hunts or trips. I have been in Alaska 16 years and have not yet hunted or fished even 20% of the places I wanted to go here. I kept putting it off until "Next year" and now there don't appear to be that many 'next years' of physical ability left. I have done some great hunt trips but because I've played the good host, I've let my guests shoot first which for various excuses has resulted in the fact that I STILL have never shot a Caribou. I've packed several hundred pounds meat out that my friends have shot but still not my own.

Now, because of random physical problems, some short term and a few permanent plus a successful battle with cancer that removed two seasons from my 'available to hunt' list, it is getting harder to do what I want and I blame no one but myself. Working too hard and always telling myself I would do it next time around are the main causes. Case in point. I have been telling myself to get out finish getting my new rifle sighted in, check the zero on the free float job I did on my Moose gun and get the camping trailer fixed up. Well, last night, as I was getting comfy in my overstuffed chair, I leaned over heavily on my right arm and I suddenly heard and felt some crunching in my rib cage. Probably not broken but it is sore as hell. Stupid I know but it has the possibility of delaying a lot of stuff. We shall see if I can shoot without pain. Like I said, ya just never know.

To sum it up. If you love doing it, make the time and do it. You cannot eliminate all regrets but try to keep the list small.

Just one old guy's take on it.

many years ago ...
I wus drivin North and I saw a sign:
" Drink Canada Dry!"

I tried but I don't think I put a dent in it!
Hell, throw caution to the wind and live life like you won't be here tomorrow. Play today like you have the world by the balls! Never say you're sorry and never regret a thing!! laugh
I'm 78 so have lived a few years. I have been divorced and my second wife died of breast cancer so whatever you have faced or are going to face I have probably experienced to some degree. The only advice I can give is that that is contained in a book the USUALLY has a black color and the words HOLY BIBLE in gold. If you follow the rules laid down it it you will never fail to cope with whatever problem arises
Pay off all debt and stay out of debt. Buy with cash a two year old auto about every 10 years. Live modestly and save, save, save. Learn about financial responsibility and practice what you learn. Diversify your savings. Do not loan money to anyone, not even your kids, and never consign for anyone. Save for retirement.
You can borrow money --- but you can't borrow time --- use it wisely on things that matter to you

And the secret to a long marriage --- is a short memory.
Originally Posted by pharmvet
Im 42 yrs old. When given the opportunity, I find myself really wanting to give advice to younger guys I encounter at work, hunting trips, etc. I have come to realize that my 20's and 30's were magical and I did not fully realize it. I feel there were things that I should have capitalized on but diddn't because I lacked the knowledge, confidence, or inspiration. That got me thinking about what you guys 60 and over might have for advice for someone my age.
One thing sticks out - "DO IT NOW" (whether fun, hobby, bucket-list etc).. You may not have tomorrow.. Seriously..
I would really like for you guys to give me your best advice on life in general (relationships with wife, kids, friends; money; career; health; religion; hobby)etc. Basically, what have you done right and what have you done wrong. What do you feel most strongly about. What do you wish you had known, done, or been told 20- 40 years ago. Im looking for serious stuff here.
Here's one - Never work for your parents.. If you've not saved ($) by now, begin immediately; TODAY.. But not in the stock market..
Never hurts to take a look in the mirror and seek out information that can be used for self improvement. thanks a million.
Prepare yourself and family for hard times.. 'Cause they're a-comin'...
When you look in the mirror, the guy looking back is the only one to get it done. No one is going to give you anything.
Your wife and kids are the only measure of success...don`t take them for granted. They take work.

Stay out of the hole.
Originally Posted by Mauser98
I've being married to the same woman for 41years. My advice for a long and loving relationship is:

Don't make eye contact.
And do what she says.
Or to the wife when you are driving. wink
I am semi-retired. Lord knows I made mistakes along the way. Some advice:
1. Find a good wife. Pretty don't count, what's inside does. If she sticks with you in rough times she's a keeper. Listen to what she says, not just the words. Look at her when she talks to you, turn away from the puter, put down the book. Look at her. Support her interests.
2. Take the time to do the things you enjoy but only when you can. Trust me, short trips can be a lot of fun.
3. Find a group that offers support. Like the Masons. For me it was the Mankind Project. MAKE CONNECTIONS. When you go job hunting it will pay handsomely.
4. Don't burn bridges. If you leave a job or a relationship keep the break clean with no hard feelings.
5. Learn to apologize if you are in the wrong. If it is the wife, apoloqize anyway.
6. Avoid credit debt. It will eat you alive. Trust me, I know.
7. Live within your means. And never buy stuff just to show off.
8. Wait until a product has been on the market for a while before buying it. Let others deal with the bugs and high prices.
9. Enjoy each day like it was your last.
10. Believe and trust in the Lord. Give a prayer of thanks when you are rewarded, too many forget to do that simple thing.
Originally Posted by 1minute
About to hit 66. I try to restrain myself and only offer advice or help when asked. When it comes to hunting and fishing locales, I tend to be very secretive. I've divulged such in the past, only to find the friend and his friends occupying the campsite in a subsequent season.
It's so exasperating seeing a young prospective big buck killer go to the feeder littered with the Tinks bottles and hang his up before climbing to the well used box blind with his plastic rattling antlers and big buck grunter. They take your advice with a grain of salt and start rattling before the truck is out of sight with the philosophy that it may increase their chance even one percent and they are going to do all they can for success.
Here's a more specific question for you guys with some life experience. I'm in my 30's with a wife and 1 kid. I've paid off most debt besides the mortgage on our house and one rental house. We have a pretty good savings, 401k's, a stash of solid assets etc.

I have the chance to buy another house at a very good price just down the street from us. Is it a good idea to take on rental homes? We have one and it cash flows $300/ month and hasn't been too bad to manage. I'd have to put about $30k down on this new one but it would cash flow $350 not counting the down. That $30K is only getting us .8% in savings right now.

I'm still worried that harder times are coming and I feel like just hunkering down but I wouldn't mind having a few paid off rentals when I retire. Prices and rates are good right now. Do I pull the trigger on another house?

Bb
The world is so different today than when I was young, I'm not sure that I have any sage advice to offer. Just love God and your family and be true to yourself.
And vote for the conservative.
Buy good guns not cheap ones. Do not sell them. When you fill the gun safe you can buy another one. A good bird dog is harder to come by than another wife. Any day you spend on the river is not subtracted from those allotted you.
68 here.
You can't learn anything with your mouth open.

You can't buy your way into heavan or spend you way out of hell.

Be brave, generous, and kind and you won't have too many sorries in your life.

Good enough isn't,
Really solid has been given here. Only one area has been left out.If your kids don't love you back as much as you love them, accept it.
Use successful people as your mentors. The rest will tell you they have all the answers but try not to laugh in their face just carry on.
Live your life so the preacher won't have to lie at your funeral. Hasbeen
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Live your life so the preacher won't have to lie at your funeral. Hasbeen

The winner!!

Live by the Golden Rule. Hard to do sometimes, but try harder.

Always buy quality.

Take care of business and it will take care of you.

Well I'm not 60 but 50 is well in my rear view mirror so I figured I would let you know something I would have done differently.

My wife & I have been together a long time and we both grew up w/o a lot of money which meant we did not have as much stuff as others during our shcool years. We both managed to go through college and got good jobs. Since we did not have a lot when we were young we bought "stuff" (clothes, stereos, tvs etc...) as soon as we could afford it. When we had children we bought them lots of stuff too. Then one day we woke up and realized that our house was full of a lot of "stuff" much of which we never used. Thus, our attitude has changed. Over the past few years we have tried to let go of some of the excess stuff we already have and buy less new stuff. We have been moderately successful. There is an exception to this - we really like our pictures of friends/family more. It's the memories we value most now.

I hope this helps a bit.
Originally Posted by pal

Great advice laugh
Im 42 yrs old. When given the opportunity, I find myself really wanting to give advice to younger guys I encounter at work, hunting trips, etc. I have come to realize that my 20's and 30's were magical and I did not fully realize it. I feel there were things that I should have capitalized on but diddn't because I lacked the knowledge, confidence, or inspiration. That got me thinking about what you guys 60 and over might have for advice for someone my age. I would really like for you guys to give me your best advice on life in general (relationships with wife, kids, friends; money; career; health; religion; hobby)etc. Basically, what have you done right and what have you done wrong. What do you feel most strongly about. What do you wish you had known, done, or been told 20- 40 years ago. Im looking for serious stuff here. Never hurts to take a look in the mirror and seek out information that can be used for self improvement. thanks a million.

I came of age in 1966. I wish there had not been any involuntary servitude but there was. I lost about six years of my life but it could have been worse I could have been killed so I was lucky that way. One thing I would have done different is find a way to go to college and gotten at least a Liberal Arts Degree. There are so many master and doctorate degrees based on liberal arts degrees. I might have gone places.

I also regret not breaking away from an over bearing and dominating Mother sooner than I did. Live and learn. I also regret not going to Army National Guard officer training when they opportunity was presented to me.

One positive thing I did was take some flying lessons although I never did get my pilot�s license. The mistake there was paying as I went instead of just getting loan and going for broke.

The most positive thing I�ve ever done was marrying a Celtic Lady (Irish/Scot) with flaming orange hair. The real McCoy. Another thing that I did or I should say in this case we did was not having children. I love kids but not having kids of my own was still the right move. We work with kids today and that fills our kid needs. I think with technology replacing even employment that requires skill and/or college education I don�t know where kids are going to gain employment in the future. Couple technology with the present fascist nation state and I think employment is going be pretty slim in the future. I think the future looks very bleak for our young people.

Last but not least I regret not taking a guided hunting trip with a friend of mine who was a professional licensed guide and outfitter. I could have had guided hunts for free. DUMB! It was always well next year not it�s too late.

I guess my best advice is never pass up an opportunity you never know when it will or ever return.
60+ is risky country. Time to prepare is before you get there. Little moderation in the news; high highs and very low lows. Retirement is an opportunity, not the end of the line.
once upon a time, i was spilling my guts to a rabbi friend. (no, i'm not jewish.)

i was sharing that once i struck the wall a glancing blow. and how best to correct my sterring?

his response was hell, Son, you should have struck the wall head-on and knowcked a damn hole through it. grin

his comment sticks with me as perhaps the best advice i've ever received.
Don't lie, don't steal, work hard, learn a good trade/vocation, be honest to yourself, your family, trust in God, understand that it's not always black or white but there are some grey areas along the route of life, stick a few bucks back and don't spend every dime you make and above all HONOR YOUR WORD because in the finality....a man's word is all he's got!!
SPIRITUAL

Ecclesiastes 12:13
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Vertical Alignment . . .

GOD . . . who is the head of the

CHRIST . . . who is the head of the

HUSBAND . . . who is the head of the

WIFE . . . who is the head of the

CHILDREN . . . who should obey your parents in all things

MARRIAGE

Ephesians 5:25
Husbands love your wives even as Christ loved the church and gave himself for it.

Ephesians 5:22
Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

FINANCES

Luke 6:38
Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

Proverbs 22:7
The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender.

Malachi 3:8-10
8Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

9Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Haggai 1:5-7
5Now therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways.

6Ye have sown much, and bring in little; ye eat, but ye have not enough; ye drink, but ye are not filled with drink; ye clothe you, but there is none warm; and he that earneth wages earneth wages to put it into a bag with holes.

7Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways.

DEMOCRATS

Isaiah 5:20
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
First and foremost, you and your wife need to be BEST FRIENDS, then lovers and partners for the long run.

Always keep your word.

Always do it right the first time, don't waste life doing it over.

Always be honest, no matter what.

Love your country, hate the politicians.

Respect the law, never fear it.

In your work, ALWAYS ride for the brand or move along.

Admire those that have made it, DON'T covet their rewards, EARN your own.

Life is not about things, it is about family and true friends.

He who dies with the most toys is still just dead.

This is not for the OP, but very related. It is what he can tell some one much younger than he is now.

"Young people can virtually assure that they and their families will avoid poverty if they follow three elementary ruled for success: 1) complete at least a high school educations; 2) work full time; and 3) wait until age 21 and get married before having a baby. People who followed all three of these rules had only a 2% chance of being in poverty and a 72% chance of joining the middle class (earning above $55,000 in 2010). If someone failed in all three of these, their chance of living in poverty was 77% and they only had a 4% chance of making it into poverty."
Originally Posted by Scott F

(Arthritis etc.)

Two of the best pieces of advice I may have ever seen. Wish I had learned them in my teens. When I did learn it was a lot later with a lot of dirty water under the bridge. But life got a whole lot better when I did learn and acted upon these.

Best advise!
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Don't lie, don't steal, work hard, learn a good trade/vocation, be honest to yourself, your family, trust in God, understand that it's not always black or white but there are some grey areas along the route of life, stick a few bucks back and don't spend every dime you make and above all HONOR YOUR WORD because in the finality....a man's word is all he's got!!

Good bunch of advice.

Most everyone will leave a 15-20% tip, even for barely ordinary service. But if one saves 10 cents out of every dollar he takes in, learns to live on 90% of his income, never spending his own 10% tip, he will be wealthy.
Several things I have learned the HARD way...#1. Treat your wife as if she is the most important thing in your life. ( If you wanna go fishing...ASK first. Instead of sayin.."Im going Fishing !"#2. Gotta be faithful...It ALL feels the same in the dark..except better with YOUR woman who loves you !!#3. Life is SHORT! You are gonna need each other & that's where you need that life long partner that you can trust..or she might need YOU to rely on like NO other time. # 4. A blessing is upon you..if you never paid child support,raised hateful step children ,or made your own kids hate you !!
Originally Posted by Qtip
(Arthritis etc.)

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

A hearty agreement here and I might add one item to #4: flirting with expensive double rifles. cry....... grin
Get a tattoo now before your skin gets any more fragile.

I just turned fifty and that is the same advice that was given to me by my dad. Very nice Sam!!

Mike
Originally Posted by pal

And I asked, "Why, the land isn't going any where?"

And the old real estate salesman said, "'Cause God anit makin' any more land, but He's still makin' people!!! So, the price will go up!!
To assure a lasting and friction free marriage, take your new bride some place remote and exotic for your 1st anniverasry
Many years of wedded bliss has proven my point. The plan is to return to that same place on our 50th anniversary...

...I may even bring her home then if she's learned to stop bitching.
Whatever you enjoy doing, do it now. Don't put it off until later. Make good memories. Also, always vote Conservative.
Buy a chunk of land that you can pay for with a few years of hard smart work. Treat your wife and kids like you might not see them ever again tommorow. Be aware of the evil in mens hearts and be prepaired for it. Buy good guns and lots of ammo or the means to make it. Thank the Lord every day for his blessing and try to make him proud of you. The lord hates a coward. Have a gentle firm hand with kids, dogs and horses. Look every man in the eye and don't do anything you would feel guilty for doing.Find a good woman for a tailgunner not just a piece of tail.
I'm 60 and have made as many mistakes as anyone, more than most. The advice that stuck with me is that no man was ever on his death bed and wished he had spent more time at the office. Put something away for the future, but enjoy life now; you don't know how much of a future you are going to have.
This thread could be a sticky!

Bringing it back up to the top.

As one who has nearly completed 64 years on God's Earth, I think there is some really sound advice to be found here.

And some pretty dang funny stuff, too! smile

If you've never seen this thread, I challenge you to read it all the way through.
Well, I'd like to know how the OP is doing 9 years on.

Did he follow anyone's advice? How did it work out? What would he change now that he's had 9 years more life experience?
Life is suffering.
Suffering stems from the feeling of loss.
The more attached you are to things the more loss you feel in their absence.
Decrease attachment, decrease suffering.
If it flies, floats, or fornicates...rent it!
Seems the OP last posted in the Alaska forum about 7 days ago. Maybe he's out hunting?

If he sees this, I'd sure like to see what he has to say now.
Save your $$ and retire debt free & stay healthy then enjoy life. smile Everything in moderation...Enjoy your family.Along the way do fun chit in your 30,s &40,s because when you get older it hurts a little more. crazyLast but not least don't lie and bullchit people old fuggers hate that.. grin

Take the money you spend on Beer,Booze, Smoking, and save it , if you want to double your money fold it over and put it back in your pocket. spend your money on things they aren't making any more of like Dirt. Rio7
Evnin, buy land, Gods not makin anymore!!! If your handy buy quality tools! Buy a small tractor with bucket, and a hoe, maybe a snow blower, dump trailer ya can make money with it. Also do your own septic, lane way, pond, etc. If ya have land with good timber & fire wood buy a wood splitter, maybe a small saw mill, build your own house!! Don't go overboard with the size to impress??? Single story, you will get old & stairs SUCK. If you've stopped growing, buy once cry once. Take care of your tools & equipment they may outlast you. If ya find that GOOD woman get a prenuptial agreement so she can't take half of stuff she's not entitled to. She may not be as good as ya think!!! (Don't ask) Try to have boys, adopt if ya have to, you'll need wood splitters when ya get to 70 (were I am now)!!!!!!! No boys, good luck!!!!! OH YA, ENJOY LIFE The simple life is more rewarding, travel some, see a few key spots, mountains, ocean, Yukon, Alaska!!! Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣🐾👣🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦
I am 67, been retired since 2009. Never had a boss of any kind since and never worked a day since for any one but myself doing exactly what ever I felt like doing

NEVER borrow any money and you don't need to worry over anything else. Do what you think is right and so long as you didn't borrow for it, you can't go to far wrong to recover from it.
When your wife says she is going to leave you, ask her one of these three things,,...

Do you need help with your luggage?

where you are going do you have money for a room.. the door locks here will be changed in an hour?

which auto do you want?
Stairs can sure suck sometimes but if you build your house when you are young, build that two story salt box style with a basement. Put the refrigerator on the top floor and the TV in the basement.

This thread is done.
You are 42, it's a good bet you have the foolishness of youth pretty well behind you. You have asked some serious life navigation questions, another big point in your favor. I haven't got these life skills figured out in my 75 years of bumbling along, but I'd hazard a couple of things to watch out for that gave me trouble.
As much as you love your family...don't get hung up in a career you hate because you are 'doing it for the good of the family'. If you subtract sleep hours, you spend most your life at work. Like what you do, even if the check is not what your wife thinks it should be.
I don't know how old your wife is, but if she is headed into menopause...you could be in for some rough sledding. Some gals handle it pretty well, and some? Well, you may not recognize the gal you married, personality wise. Maybe do a little reading on the subject if you sense some bewildering changes in your relationship.
Right now, the joy of my grandsons and the health to do outdoor stuff with them is the high point of my life, your mileage may vary.
When I saw Derby Dude as the first responder, I thought he had decided to come back to the Fire to answer this one. Then I realized it was old.
Originally Posted by Redneck
Im 42 yrs old. When given the opportunity, I find myself really wanting to give advice to younger guys I encounter at work, hunting trips, etc. I have come to realize that my 20's and 30's were magical and I did not fully realize it. I feel there were things that I should have capitalized on but diddn't because I lacked the knowledge, confidence, or inspiration. That got me thinking about what you guys 60 and over might have for advice for someone my age.
One thing sticks out - "DO IT NOW" (whether fun, hobby, bucket-list etc).. You may not have tomorrow.. Seriously..
I would really like for you guys to give me your best advice on life in general (relationships with wife, kids, friends; money; career; health; religion; hobby)etc. Basically, what have you done right and what have you done wrong. What do you feel most strongly about. What do you wish you had known, done, or been told 20- 40 years ago. Im looking for serious stuff here.
Here's one - Never work for your parents.. If you've not saved ($) by now, begin immediately; TODAY.. But not in the stock market..
Never hurts to take a look in the mirror and seek out information that can be used for self improvement. thanks a million.

Wish I would have learned the never work for your parents thing years ago. I wasted some of my best earning potential years making 1/3 of what I was offered elsewhere and going 7 years without a raise. I worked too much for too little and cost me my health on promises that were never fulfilled.

Bb
Originally Posted by Scott F

(Arthritis etc.)

That is very good advice.
don't have sex with your wifes sister. unless she's really friggen hot. ya wait, no, don't have sex with your wifes sister.
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Wish I would have learned the never work for your parents thing years ago. I wasted some of my best earning potential years making 1/3 of what I was offered elsewhere and going 7 years without a raise. I worked too much for too little and cost me my health on promises that were never fulfilled.

Bb

Good advice Burley.... I have experienced the same
Avoid debt
Find a good partner
Be prepared to work hard in your profession and your marriage
If you have children make sure they know you are the parents and you are in charge but don't beat them up with it
Tell your children you love them every day and don't just throw stuff at them. They need to earn it.
Love your grandchildren and make sure they know it and mean it.
Don't waste your money, love or youth.
Don't let the bottle run your life
Be prepared to be humbled by life and by your savior.

kwg

Qtip= 1 Put your faith in Christ and believe in Him and His Word. An active faith.
(Arthritis etc.)

Logger= This is not for the OP, but very related. It is what he can tell some one much younger than he is now.

"Young people can virtually assure that they and their families will avoid poverty if they follow three elementary ruled for success: 1) complete at least a high school educations; 2) work full time; and 3) wait until age 21 and get married before having a baby. People who followed all three of these rules had only a 2% chance of being in poverty and a 72% chance of joining the middle class (earning above $55,000 in 2010). If someone failed in all three of these, their chance of living in poverty was 77% and they only had a 4% chance of making it into poverty."

When you get paid, the first 10% goes to God. The next 15% goes into savings. Live below your means and if you can't pay cash you can't afford anything. Never ask, how much per month? If you have to ask that, you can't afford it. Buy a low mileage used car 2-3 years old and pay cash. Start saving for the next one. Don't buy the biggest house the bank says you can afford. When you buy a house put a minimum of 20% down and make sure your payment is not more than 25% of your net income. Pay it off as quickly as you can and start saving for the next house. Live in one, rent the other. Pay it off and buy another. Stay as liquid as possible to jump on good deals that will have a good return on them. Especially real estate.

I'm 70. Just wish I'd learned all this stuff about 40 years ago.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
SPIRITUAL

Ecclesiastes 12:13
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Vertical Alignment . . .

GOD . . . who is the head of the

CHRIST . . . who is the head of the

HUSBAND . . . who is the head of the

WIFE . . . who is the head of the

CHILDREN . . . who should obey your parents in all things

MARRIAGE

Ephesians 5:25
Husbands love your wives even as Christ loved the church and gave himself for it.

Ephesians 5:22
Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

FINANCES

Luke 6:38
Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.
IProverbs 22:7
The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender.

Malachi 3:8-10
8Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

9Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Haggai 1:5-7
5Now therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways.

6Ye have sown much, and bring in little; ye eat, but ye have not enough; ye drink, but ye are not filled with drink; ye clothe you, but there is none warm; and he that earneth wages earneth wages to put it into a bag with holes.

7Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways.

DEMOCRATS

Isaiah 5:20
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

I liked this one, so again.

I'm not sure you can find a good wife in a bar!!!

WIVES:

There will/may be times that you don't like your wife!
There may be times that you don't love your wife.
But never forget that YOU chose HER!!!

Decide right now, if you have to choose between your wife and someone else, I don't care who it is, mother, father, child, whatever, you have already chosen the wife!!!

KIDS: You absolutely CANNOT wait until they are 14 to start correcting the problems.......

If you can retire, comfortably, do it. Your trading good years for bad!

Don't wait til the last 10 years to worry about retirement.

There's more.......................

Started doing this at about your age. Save 25% of all monies you make towards your retirement and learn to live on what is left. I'm 69 now. Not anywhere close to rich but very comfortable.
George
That's for sure. Drive older cars, live in a smaller house. New and big don't matter, It's all for show. Millions of very successful families have been raised in lower level houses. Cut your level of living and put it away. You'll be needing it down the road. Saving even $100 per pay check and investing it will grow faster than you could ever imagine.
Most of what I have learned in 74 years is how little I know. I'll share two pieces of advice preachers gave me.

Don't second guess yourself. There may have been something you could have done better yesterday, but you can't do it now.

Give a tenth, save a tenth, and spend the rest with thanksgiving and praise.

This!
Turned 45 last Friday.

Watching.
Originally Posted by Qtip
(Arthritis etc.)

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
Amen!
AMEN!
From a 3 time divorced, former charter pilot and fisherman friend of mine...

"If it Flys, floats or [bleep], rent it when you need it."
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959
From a 3 time divorced, former charter pilot and fisherman friend of mine...

"If it Flys, floats or [bleep], rent it when you need it."

Sage advice.

There have been books written on those subjects, a 24Hr Campfire post will give you many opinions, hoping you can sort the fly [bleep] from the pepper. 24 pages, minimum.
George Washington once said, "only give advice when it's asked and be brief in doing so".
My advice, include God in everything you do as if He is watching. Which He is.

I'm not 60 years old yet so I'll just there's a lot of great advice here and this is pretty much sums it up in a nut shell. Nice to see a quality thread on the campfire......not nearly as many per capita these days.
Advice?
I’ll tell you some things I have done right, and things I wish I had done differently, and make of that what you will;
(I’ll be 60 in a month or so)
I have tried to be honest, and to give an honest days work.
I have been pretty good with money, saving and living within my means.
I have tried to live within the “lines” put forth by the society that I identify with.
I have, at various times, fallen short in every aspect of the above, and then I try to learn from those times and go on.

Things I wish I had done better?
I believe there were times I should have taken more risks, tried scary things, “lived” more.
Been kinder to people when I had the chance.
Stayed in better shape (that’s a no [bleep] there!)
Let anger at things, people or myself get the better of me.

A bonus tip; Enjoy the company of a dog, I cannot say enough how much I feel such a simple thing as the love of a good dog can improve one’s life…

I applaud you for having the drive, foresight, courage, whatever you want to call it, to ask such a simple, yet powerful question, and I hope you (and others) can get something useful out of it…

Good luck, life’s a random SOB sometimes!

Don't worry about anything, ride a Harley, fish a lot, hunt a lot, and fool with a lot of women. Money? You can't take it with you but you can sure as hell waste your youth trying to make a lot of it.
Originally Posted by irfubar

Bb

Good advice Burley.... I have experienced the same

Your folks didn't give you an allowance? $0.25 per lawn?
Originally Posted by flintlocke
You are 42, it's a good bet you have the foolishness of youth pretty well behind you. You have asked some serious life navigation questions, another big point in your favor. I haven't got these life skills figured out in my 75 years of bumbling along, but I'd hazard a couple of things to watch out for that gave me trouble.
As much as you love your family...don't get hung up in a career you hate because you are 'doing it for the good of the family'. If you subtract sleep hours, you spend most your life at work. Like what you do, even if the check is not what your wife thinks it should be.
I don't know how old your wife is, but if she is headed into menopause...you could be in for some rough sledding. Some gals handle it pretty well, and some? Well, you may not recognize the gal you married, personality wise. Maybe do a little reading on the subject if you sense some bewildering changes in your relationship.
Right now, the joy of my grandsons and the health to do outdoor stuff with them is the high point of my life, your mileage may vary.

Neighbor.

OP should be 51 years old now. I'm hoping he's going to see the resurrection of this thread and reply. Don't think he's doing too bad as he seems to be in AK now, not TX.

On a happier note, I hope, did you get some rain over there to help with that River Complex fire?
Don't ever quit if you like what your doing and appreciate what you have. I'm 63 and one thing I learned is, it's very hard to get in shape once you get out of shape.

Bb

Making the decision to work for your parents is not the only "career" where this happens. I realize there's plenty of companies that treat their employees well, but there's an increasing number of companies that do not, particularly larger, ‘progressive’ companies. Despite glowing evaluations, and in most every job or career path I chose, I experienced lies, unfulfilled promises, and exploitative behavior by upper management at such companies - no matter if you ride for the brand and are successful or not.

I’m not quite an “old guy,” yet, but I’m getting mighty close and I’ll be old before I know it. I’ve learned a few things along the way, though. Lord knows, I’m often guilty of not taking my own advice, so take it for what it’s worth.

There are degrees of success, but I realized, long ago, that in order to succeed, I was solely responsible. No one is going to do it for you. I thought I had it sussed, to a certain extent, with a company I started prior to 9/11 and I experienced a degree of success. 9/11 put a quick and decisive end to that, however, when 11 of my 12 clients breached their contracts shortly after 9/11. A few of the things I learned during this time in my life were: working 80 hrs/wk is no way to live, paying yourself first is of utmost importance, and I learned to avoid legal action at all costs- just because you win multiple lawsuits doesn’t mean you’ll ever see a penny.

You cannot be assured of always making the right decision. The important thing is how you respond to these failures, because you will fail. Perseverance is key and you must want to succeed.

Listen to your inner voice and don’t second guess yourself once you’ve made a decision. Have faith, do what you truly believe to be right, be kind to children, know when to fish and when to cut bait, do what you can to educate and inform fellow Americans about the evils of Socialism, Marxism, and Communism; watch your health, exercise, and keep negative, leftist and Marxist people out of your life as much as humanly possible.

Ultimately, the only thing that matters in life is your friends and family and, in particular, your children. Take the time to raise them right and give them the knowledge they will need (in small doses) for both success in life and for navigating rough waters, such as we are currently experiencing.

EDIT: Forgot to add: Never go swimmin' with bow-legged women.
Oh hell, when will I ever learn?...responding to a thread without looking at the dateline. 2012, the guy probably got tired of his old life and ran off with some morally bankrupt little hottie half his age.
Geno, Between the 2 rainstorms we got about 8/10ths of an inch and a badly needed break from the River Complex fire front. We could see it crowning out and hear the roar at my house. They turned a bunch of equipment and the big Chinooks loose from the Dixie fire and saved Callahan. Everything should be fine unless we get a hot dry southwest wind.
I saw a TikTok video of some crews on the Antelope fire last week, making a run for their lives...I have never seen anything like that in my life, terrifying don't cut it. They had to drive through walls of flames 30 to 40 ft high, if one of those pickups in the lead had quit, they would be burying about 12 guys this week. What a summer.
Jeez, I thought they were doing good on the Antelope?

You got over 3x what we got here, but we're grateful for anything. Even the frost last night. It goes good with the big moon.

As to the OP...........I hope he's having fun in AK where his last post was from just a week or so back. Maybe out in the bush.
Not 60 but I have lived, won, lost, and won again...What I learned is somethings that you think will last, can easily become temporary and vanish.

If you allow yourself to feel sorry for yourself for too long, you’re wasting time that could be spent recovering what you lost. Move forward - not back...

Once you regain it, you’ll appreciate it more, protect it better, and be more aware of the signs of trouble, making adjustments to prevent the past.

A good lady is gold...A bad woman will wreck your castle. Pick wisely!

🦫
After passing your benchmark, I’ll admit it takes much longer to find my phone.
GFY?
Originally Posted by Tarbe
This thread could be a sticky!

Bringing it back up to the top.

As one who has nearly completed 64 years on God's Earth, I think there is some really sound advice to be found here.

And some pretty dang funny stuff, too! smile

If you've never seen this thread, I challenge you to read it all the way through.

Thanks Tarbe for bringing this back because I'd never seen it before. It's an interesting thread with a lot of good stuff.

Here's my advise.

NEVER EVER go into business with a liberal. They do not understand capitalism. It simply does not compute in their brain. You'll find yourself in a constant tug of war. Rush Limbaugh used to say that liberals will destroy everything they touch. Man, ain't that the truth.

P.S. - My brother and I bought him out in 2014 and it was the best business decision we ever made.
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
Join the Free Masons.

My brother in law....ex bil....was one...Cheated on my sister while he was "teaching golf lessons"..Great man...great man..
A deer friend of mine used to tell me what his old hunting partner used to say. "If you want to go into business with someone first take them on an elk hunt". I think that applies to many partnerships in life. I've learned allot about people on my trips, for sure!
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
Join the Free Masons.

Oh, please. Some of the most devious, foul mouthed, prejudiced, crooked, hateful men I knew were of that clan.

Be not deceived, Jesus & the Word of God is the ONLY purification source we benefit from.

This is perhaps the finest question I've ever seen asked around the Campfire.

One thing most of us over 60 could probably do is write a book about "if we had it to do over again."

My personal advice would be to invest invest invest and always, ALWAYS, live below your means. New cars and overly large houses are a massive waste of money. Stay out of debt at all costs.

Secondly, work for yourself if at all possible. The sacrifices you make early will pay-off later. And if you cannot work for yourself ... find a good company that operates on good principles and values in a recession/depression proof industry and stick with it. A good example of that today might be trucking. It's a growth industry, pays exceedingly well and you can be your own boss if you want. If not there are several fine companies to work for ... Southeastern Freight Lines and JB Hunt being the first two that come immediately to mind. There are other industries and other companies out there ... find one that you love.

... and partners are made for dancing, not for business.

Women ... bang out the beautiful ones when you are young but always be on the lookout for the really great ones, the keepers. If your lucky and your heart is in the right place you'll get lucky and find one that is both. They are rare but they are out there. My first one was exceedingly beautiful. My second one is both beautiful and good .... a great wife and mother and I try to honor her every day. Always know the difference between lust and love. One very important thing when it comes to women, especially these days, is to find one that aligns with you politically and philosophically or else you'll be miserable before you realize it and it'll be costly to get out of it. They will scar you for life - the wrong ones.

A rule to live by ... a man told me this when I was doing contract work in Central America some years ago back in the mid 80s. "What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become." Never obsess or dwell on anything to the point of destruction. Always think carefully, chose your battles wisely, think forward, think ahead, do your due diligence and then make your move. Each move you make, each decision ... will define your life. Be careful about what you think about ... learn thinking discipline, be a productive thinker and feed your mind with good things. And this is important .... what you think about is what you do ... but what comes out of your mouth or off of your fingetips is the result of your thought-process. Use a filter in situations that may have consequences or repercussions .... and almost everything does these days.

Something I cannot stress enough ... control stress.

You're at your peak earning years between 35-55 ... make the most of them. Invest your earnings wisely. Take calculated risks.

Do everything in moderation. EVERYTHING EVVVVVERRRRRRRYYYYTHING. Drinking, eating, exercising .... working. Never overdue anything for any extended period to the point of obsession or addiction. NEVER. It is always destructive over time.

Work and family are equal but remember without one there is rarely the other by any successful life metric.

Life is simple - it's just not easy .... and it goes-by really fast friend. Good luck.

Here's some good advice; from a great man, and a pretty good football coach :
This was a very good thread back then, and is again. It illuminates some excellent distillations of thought and experience, and also reveals some telling differences among principles and choices.

I think that the best of it highlights self-honesty, self-reliance, self-determination and the almighty power of God. Some of the comments regarding choice of mates, friends, habits and behavior in mind and body are valuable. Although striving to grasp such things within myself even when quite young, I wish I could have seen this plain talk in those days. Thanks for the distant, but cogent, inquiry that started this.

As for the recent comments on the Masonic Order, long years of observation and experience have shown me that they, like other such endeavors, are a revealing slice of humanity. Some of the most good-hearted, generous and intentionally helpful men in life have been strong Masons - others were in it for what it would profit them to have the code, the ring and the connections. Others were simply bad acting phonies. Nothing new, one way or the other.
Lots of good advice here. I'm 67 and heard a lot of it when it mattered, thanks to a great Mom and Dad. A whole lot of what's been posted here can be found in the Book of Proverbs. Read that book frequently and it will point you in the right direction.
Well, talk is cheap and your actions speak louder than your talk.
Act, don't react, always pitch in when a dirty job needs to be done, laziness is not God's way.
Kindness is far reaching, and is God's way.
My personal opinion is keep your indoor time to a minimum.
Never apologize for being dirty , sweaty and the hardest worker out there. God likes that. Cheers.
Lots of great advice given, I'll add to put in some time staying in shape.
A 42 year old guy will be my age (75) in the blink of an eye. Time goes faster each year your on this earth. Plenty of time to change your windage and elevation. Pay yourself first. That's something I forgot most of my first 40 years of so. Up until that time I lived a little higher on the hog, then I should have. I had a good life, but not much to show for it. Then several of my friends and co workers started to retire. That set me to thinking about my own situation. I made a few adjustments in my spending and lifestyle habits.
I got the opportunity to retire early at 51 and took it. Probably one of the best decisions I have ever made. I worked part time on my own terms off and on for another ten years.
Pay yourself first. Live within or below your means Get rid of debt. None of this would have been possible, if I had stayed on my original path. It is best to start early but there is always plenty of time.
Greg Norman, the golfer and ultra successful businessman gave some advise 30+ years ago which stuck with me.

"When your 20, figure out where you want to be at 40 and work backwards to make it happen. At 40, figure out where you want to be at 60 and make it happen. At 60, figure out where you want to be at 80 and make it happen".

If your 20, and at 40 you want to married, have house and kids, coach Little League in the Spring and hunt in the Fall. Make it happen. Then, if you want to retire at 60, work your plan and make it happen. If you want to travel between 60 and 80, do it.

Work hard when you're young, save for later, but smell a few roses along the way. More importantly, know when it is "later"! wink

" Desiderata - Words for Life

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.

— Max Ehrmann, 1927 "
It never ceases to amaze me how much I've turned into my father and even my grandfather.

Be a good example to your children.

Don't make eye contact.

And, when you're wrong, admit it.
When you are right, for God's sake keep your mouth SHUT.
"Loose lips sink ships"
Health becomes more important as you age. People in their 20's and 30's may feel invincible but father time will eventually catch up with you. My best advice for younger people is to not use tobacco products. Having good healthy lungs makes doing almost everything much easier when you hit the 60's and beyond.

Originally Posted by Beaver10
Not 60 but I have lived, won, lost, and won again...What I learned is somethings that you think will last, can easily become temporary and vanish.

If you allow yourself to feel sorry for yourself for too long, you’re wasting time that could be spent recovering what you lost. Move forward - not back...

Once you regain it, you’ll appreciate it more, protect it better, and be more aware of the signs of trouble, making adjustments to prevent the past.

A good lady is gold...A bad woman will wreck your castle. Pick wisely!

🦫
This, also don't hold grudges sometimes that person can end up be a good friend.
Originally Posted by silver78
Well I'm not 60 but 50 is well in my rear view mirror so I figured I would let you know something I would have done differently.

My wife & I have been together a long time and we both grew up w/o a lot of money which meant we did not have as much stuff as others during our school years. We both managed to go through college and got good jobs. Since we did not have a lot when we were young we bought "stuff" (clothes, stereos, tvs etc...) as soon as we could afford it. When we had children we bought them lots of stuff too. Then one day we woke up and realized that our house was full of a lot of "stuff" much of which we never used. Thus, our attitude has changed. Over the past few years we have tried to let go of some of the excess stuff we already have and buy less new stuff. We have been moderately successful. There is an exception to this - we really like our pictures of friends/family more. It's the memories we value most now.

I hope this helps a bit.

Nine years have passed since I made this post. I guess my thoughts are a bit different today. 60 is now in the rear view mirror. So instead of mentioning what I would do differently I will suggest what you need to prepare for.

Loss.

In the past four years I have lost a number of friends and family. Many of those who passed were the folks who lived hard. Smoked/drank a lot. It really makes a difference. But a number of the folks who passed just drew the short straw on life.

In August my family did a 2fer. That's where you bury two family members on the same day. My cousin and my sister in law. The kicker is that I watched two fathers and mothers bury their children that day. That was a suckfest.

Meanwhile my brother is battling stage 4 cancer. He's down to about 100 pounds. Looks like an anorexic on a diet.

I am not looking for any sympathy here. My story is not unusual. Just want to point out what's going to happen as you age. Either you die young or your friends die. Everyone dies in the long run.
Going on 68 and married 44 yrs.

Have a good woman, one that is not wasteful and takes pleasure in saving money.

Live within your means. Have fun but don't be wasteful. Save for your future.

Have a plan for your future. Pay off your house buy a certain age is one possibility. My house was paid for at age 50. HAVE NO CREDIT CARD DEBT... Strive to be debt free.

If you can do this you'll be far ahead of the game.
Don't live beyond your means under any circumstances. But concentrate on using your means to LIVE. Do that trip, buy (for cash) that toy you want, trip, do things while you still can.
Buddy of mine did that. Fiscally rational, worked hard, had a great wife and family, could have had his own outdoor adventure show kind of life, right? He was killed this last winter sledding in the mountains. But his life was pretty darn full, he jammed a lot into his 59 years.
Two ears and one mouth! That should tell you a lot!!
Eat, Drink, and don't Marry!
A young bull and an old bull are standing on a hill looking at a herd of cows. The young bull says "hey, lets run down there and screw one of those cows!"

The old bull looks at him for a minute and says "why don't we just walk down there and screw all of them..."
A major part of your life will be spent working, prepare yourself to work a job you love.

Strong people are generally most useful, never quit learning and improving yourself. If you think you are good enough you are wrong.

Experiences are more valuable than stuff. Get out and challenge yourself and see the world.

Never, ever give up.

mike r

Don't make eye contact.

Good One! I have been married for 49 years and have never tried that one. grin
A well developed sense of gratitude is a major key to happiness.

Been married 51 years. Best advice is to marry a good supportive woman who is understanding, likes to laugh, and isn’t full of herself. I was in a high divorce rate career and without my wonderful life I probably would have been a three time loser.
Don't marry a motormouth.
When I was 42 I was able to do whatever I wanted to as far as outdoor things. I always worked 8 hrs a day and several hours gunsmithing a day during the week, and the rest of the year I did whatever I had time for ----things like backpacking, cross country skiing, hunting, fishing, and trapping, playing on a softball team and still was able to work around home doing usual married man and father to three children stuff.
Somewhere along the line as you get older there will be some of those things you quit doing each year as time goes by.
I am not saying you can't do those things because of your age physically, but responsibility wise you drop one thing and pick up another .
I am 75 now, and I still plan on doing neat stuff, but find that I pick what I like the best and do first. I still hunt deer, elk, and antelope (maybe), and fish some, but some things can even trump hunting and fishing, like grandkids and family things. Photography has always been interesting to me and more my speed. grin
The main thing besides your personal things like a job, saving a little money, your religion, your health etc. is treat your friends like you want to be treated.
Now I should tell all of this to my two boys and daughter who are 39-- 45years old. !!!

I’ll throw my 0.02 in

Only date trashy women
Deteriorata

You are a fluke of the universe. You have no right to be here.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste,
And remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Avoid quiet and passive persons, unless you are in need of sleep.
Rotate your tires.
Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself,
And heed well their advice, even though they be turkeys.

Know what to kiss, and when.
Consider that two wrongs never make a right, but that three do.
Wherever possible, put people on hold.
Be comforted that in the face of all aridity and disillusionment,
And despite the changing fortunes of time,
There is always a big future in computer maintenance.

Remember The Pueblo.
Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle, and mutilate.
Know yourself.
If you need help, call the FBI.
Exercise caution in your daily affairs,
Especially with those persons closest to you -
That lemon on your left, for instance.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls
Would scarcely get your feet wet.
Fall not in love therefore. It will stick to your face.

Gracefully surrender the things of youth: birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan.
And let not the sands of time get in your lunch.
Hire people with hooks.
For a good time, call 606-4311. Ask for Ken.
Take heart in the bedeepening gloom
That your dog is finally getting enough cheese.
And reflect that whatever fortune may be your lot,
It could only be worse in Milwaukee.

You are a fluke of the universe.
You have no right to be here.
And whether you can hear it or not,
The universe is laughing behind your back.

Therefore, make peace with your god,
Whatever you perceive him to be - hairy thunderer, or cosmic muffin.
With all its hopes, dreams, promises, and urban renewal,
The world continues to deteriorate.
Give up!
ATM is an interesting handle choice.
lol

That was good.
Im 42 yrs old...//...Never hurts to take a look in the mirror and seek out information that can be used for self improvement. thanks a million.
I feel exceptionally lucky to have made it to the ripe old age of 62.

I'll leave you with an old saying,"Youth is wasted on the young".
Get it while you can.
Still hoping the OP is out hunting caribou or moose in AK and reads this when he gets back.
The
Originally Posted by High_Noon

For real

Doxycycline might be needed
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Get it while you can.

atm
?
Originally Posted by slumlord
The

For real

Doxycycline might be needed

Z-Pack?
Z-pack for pneumonia

D-pack for poo-moanya
What the heck, take em both.

There's a lot of bad stuff floating around.

A bit of horse paste, the Pumpkin Spice, won't hurt anything either.
Sam Adams

....barf
Beer shouldnt taste like nutmeg
I'm 64 and was going to give you a ton of advice, but damn I forgot what I was going to say. eek
Originally Posted by DouginAlaska
I'm 64 and was going to give you a ton of advice, but damn I forgot what I was going to say. eek

This is likely the most honest answer yet.
Don't marry a motormouth.

........ or a movie star.
3 key words for life:

Decision, Temptation, Moderation
There's no difference between a long life and a short life, they are just both moments in time....
I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!
Life is all about ass; you’re either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.
Interesting thread
I'm 62. My advice is to eat healthy and stay fit. The physical difference between 42 and 62 is significant. Have your body ready to be 60 well before you get there.
I was wondering that sort of douche would dredge up a 10 year old thread. Should have known it would be one of the useless trolls.
ATM...Deteriorata...that is classic prose. Pithy yet not pissy.
Learn something new every day.
Imagine being a member here and thinking you needed to solicit advice...this place abounds with unsolicited advice...

This will take you a very long way.

Also, save as much money as you possibly can. You WILL need it.

Okie John
Here's a more specific question for you guys with some life experience. I'm in my 30's with a wife and 1 kid. I've paid off most debt besides the mortgage on our house and one rental house. We have a pretty good savings, 401k's, a stash of solid assets etc.

I have the chance to buy another house at a very good price just down the street from us. Is it a good idea to take on rental homes? We have one and it cash flows $300/ month and hasn't been too bad to manage. I'd have to put about $30k down on this new one but it would cash flow $350 not counting the down. That $30K is only getting us .8% in savings right now.

I'm still worried that harder times are coming and I feel like just hunkering down but I wouldn't mind having a few paid off rentals when I retire. Prices and rates are good right now. Do I pull the trigger on another house?

Bb

Very hard to say. If you buy, then you'll have three homes to maintain. I'd want to have $50k in cash set aside that I could drop into any or all of them on a moment's notice in case a tenant wrecks the place, major appliances fail, sewage systems collapse, or something else major goes wrong. We could also have another economic downturn where people can't/won't pay rent and the government decides to ban evictions. We're dealing with that in Washington state right now, and I suspect that it will bankrupt more than a few people in your position.

That $30k is a vital safety net for a landlord. I'd consider it an operating fund that just happens to earn interest.

Okie John
Originally Posted by SCRooster

This is perhaps the finest question I've ever seen asked around the Campfire.

One thing most of us over 60 could probably do is write a book about "if we had it to do over again."

My personal advice would be to invest invest invest and always, ALWAYS, live below your means. New cars and overly large houses are a massive waste of money. Stay out of debt at all costs.

Secondly, work for yourself if at all possible. The sacrifices you make early will pay-off later. And if you cannot work for yourself ... find a good company that operates on good principles and values in a recession/depression proof industry and stick with it. A good example of that today might be trucking. It's a growth industry, pays exceedingly well and you can be your own boss if you want. If not there are several fine companies to work for ... Southeastern Freight Lines and JB Hunt being the first two that come immediately to mind. There are other industries and other companies out there ... find one that you love.

... and partners are made for dancing, not for business.

Women ... bang out the beautiful ones when you are young but always be on the lookout for the really great ones, the keepers. If your lucky and your heart is in the right place you'll get lucky and find one that is both. They are rare but they are out there. My first one was exceedingly beautiful. My second one is both beautiful and good .... a great wife and mother and I try to honor her every day. Always know the difference between lust and love. One very important thing when it comes to women, especially these days, is to find one that aligns with you politically and philosophically or else you'll be miserable before you realize it and it'll be costly to get out of it. They will scar you for life - the wrong ones.

A rule to live by ... a man told me this when I was doing contract work in Central America some years ago back in the mid 80s. "What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become." Never obsess or dwell on anything to the point of destruction. Always think carefully, chose your battles wisely, think forward, think ahead, do your due diligence and then make your move. Each move you make, each decision ... will define your life. Be careful about what you think about ... learn thinking discipline, be a productive thinker and feed your mind with good things. And this is important .... what you think about is what you do ... but what comes out of your mouth or off of your fingetips is the result of your thought-process. Use a filter in situations that may have consequences or repercussions .... and almost everything does these days.

Something I cannot stress enough ... control stress.

You're at your peak earning years between 35-55 ... make the most of them. Invest your earnings wisely. Take calculated risks.

Do everything in moderation. EVERYTHING EVVVVVERRRRRRRYYYYTHING. Drinking, eating, exercising .... working. Never overdue anything for any extended period to the point of obsession or addiction. NEVER. It is always destructive over time.

Work and family are equal but remember without one there is rarely the other by any successful life metric.

Life is simple - it's just not easy .... and it goes-by really fast friend. Good luck.

SCRooster, that is some of the finest advice I've ever seen in print on the Fire. The youngers would do well to absorb and internalize it.
I can think of all sorts of thing s I could have done better when I was 42 but if I was 42 now, I don't know what I would do. Probably work when I had to and play when I could, just like before! The thing is, our lives are influenced by the times. I don't have time for any real long term plans now and didn't waste time on them then. I honestly don't see the point in busting your ass when you are young, in hopes that you can enjoy the fruit of your labors when you are old.
The bottom line? At 72 I can't tell you a damned thing! GD
Too soon old, too late smart."
I can say that if there's some physically demanding
something you want to do, like a hard near impossible
hunt, or once in a lifetime trip, etc. do it while you're
young and resilient.
Even if you have to scrimp and sacrifice for months
and save up, then quit a lucrative job, do it and don't
look back.
I've seen way too many that were waiting for the
silver haired years and didn't make it or were too
far gone and had the re-re's the rest of their sad days
I only have two pieces of advice I'd give a young guy:

1. Make plans now and take that one or two hunts of a lifetime as soon as you possibly can while you're young. Even if it means sacrificing for material goods now. You'll never be younger than you are today and if you wait too long, you'll find out that your body can't handle it anymore and you'll be miserable. Do it now while you're young and can enjoy it. Especially those mountain hunts that are so difficult.

2. Make sure that you spend time with your parents or those family members that you care about that are older. Do things with them. Include them in your hunts or activities. Don't ignore them now and think you'll have time to spend with them later, because you won't. They'll be gone, or sick, or out of their minds with dementia before you realize and then you won't be able to do the things with them or talk to them anymore and you'll be extremely regretful.
Always take the bull by the horns - and others will watch.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
ATM...Deteriorata...that is classic prose. Pithy yet not pissy.

Thanks Flint
Decrease your expectations of others, and increase your gratitude for God’s grace.
© 24hourcampfire