Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
only advice I would give is to stay DEBT FREE, live within your means, treat your wife and family with love and respect, maintain your relationship with God, and don't talk back to cops during traffic stops.

This will take you a very long way.

Also, save as much money as you possibly can. You WILL need it.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Here's a more specific question for you guys with some life experience. I'm in my 30's with a wife and 1 kid. I've paid off most debt besides the mortgage on our house and one rental house. We have a pretty good savings, 401k's, a stash of solid assets etc.

I have the chance to buy another house at a very good price just down the street from us. Is it a good idea to take on rental homes? We have one and it cash flows $300/ month and hasn't been too bad to manage. I'd have to put about $30k down on this new one but it would cash flow $350 not counting the down. That $30K is only getting us .8% in savings right now.

I'm still worried that harder times are coming and I feel like just hunkering down but I wouldn't mind having a few paid off rentals when I retire. Prices and rates are good right now. Do I pull the trigger on another house?

Bb

Very hard to say. If you buy, then you'll have three homes to maintain. I'd want to have $50k in cash set aside that I could drop into any or all of them on a moment's notice in case a tenant wrecks the place, major appliances fail, sewage systems collapse, or something else major goes wrong. We could also have another economic downturn where people can't/won't pay rent and the government decides to ban evictions. We're dealing with that in Washington state right now, and I suspect that it will bankrupt more than a few people in your position.

That $30k is a vital safety net for a landlord. I'd consider it an operating fund that just happens to earn interest.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SCRooster
Originally Posted by pharmvet
Im 42 yrs old. When given the opportunity, I find myself really wanting to give advice to younger guys I encounter at work, hunting trips, etc. I have come to realize that my 20's and 30's were magical and I did not fully realize it. I feel there were things that I should have capitalized on but diddn't because I lacked the knowledge, confidence, or inspiration. That got me thinking about what you guys 60 and over might have for advice for someone my age. I would really like for you guys to give me your best advice on life in general (relationships with wife, kids, friends; money; career; health; religion; hobby)etc. Basically, what have you done right and what have you done wrong. What do you feel most strongly about. What do you wish you had known, done, or been told 20- 40 years ago. Im looking for serious stuff here. Never hurts to take a look in the mirror and seek out information that can be used for self improvement. thanks a million.

This is perhaps the finest question I've ever seen asked around the Campfire.

One thing most of us over 60 could probably do is write a book about "if we had it to do over again."

My personal advice would be to invest invest invest and always, ALWAYS, live below your means. New cars and overly large houses are a massive waste of money. Stay out of debt at all costs.

Secondly, work for yourself if at all possible. The sacrifices you make early will pay-off later. And if you cannot work for yourself ... find a good company that operates on good principles and values in a recession/depression proof industry and stick with it. A good example of that today might be trucking. It's a growth industry, pays exceedingly well and you can be your own boss if you want. If not there are several fine companies to work for ... Southeastern Freight Lines and JB Hunt being the first two that come immediately to mind. There are other industries and other companies out there ... find one that you love.

... and partners are made for dancing, not for business.

Women ... bang out the beautiful ones when you are young but always be on the lookout for the really great ones, the keepers. If your lucky and your heart is in the right place you'll get lucky and find one that is both. They are rare but they are out there. My first one was exceedingly beautiful. My second one is both beautiful and good .... a great wife and mother and I try to honor her every day. Always know the difference between lust and love. One very important thing when it comes to women, especially these days, is to find one that aligns with you politically and philosophically or else you'll be miserable before you realize it and it'll be costly to get out of it. They will scar you for life - the wrong ones.

A rule to live by ... a man told me this when I was doing contract work in Central America some years ago back in the mid 80s. "What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become." Never obsess or dwell on anything to the point of destruction. Always think carefully, chose your battles wisely, think forward, think ahead, do your due diligence and then make your move. Each move you make, each decision ... will define your life. Be careful about what you think about ... learn thinking discipline, be a productive thinker and feed your mind with good things. And this is important .... what you think about is what you do ... but what comes out of your mouth or off of your fingetips is the result of your thought-process. Use a filter in situations that may have consequences or repercussions .... and almost everything does these days.

Something I cannot stress enough ... control stress.

You're at your peak earning years between 35-55 ... make the most of them. Invest your earnings wisely. Take calculated risks.

Do everything in moderation. EVERYTHING EVVVVVERRRRRRRYYYYTHING. Drinking, eating, exercising .... working. Never overdue anything for any extended period to the point of obsession or addiction. NEVER. It is always destructive over time.

Work and family are equal but remember without one there is rarely the other by any successful life metric.

Life is simple - it's just not easy .... and it goes-by really fast friend. Good luck.

SCRooster, that is some of the finest advice I've ever seen in print on the Fire. The youngers would do well to absorb and internalize it.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I can think of all sorts of thing s I could have done better when I was 42 but if I was 42 now, I don't know what I would do. Probably work when I had to and play when I could, just like before! The thing is, our lives are influenced by the times. I don't have time for any real long term plans now and didn't waste time on them then. I honestly don't see the point in busting your ass when you are young, in hopes that you can enjoy the fruit of your labors when you are old.
The bottom line? At 72 I can't tell you a damned thing! GD

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Too soon old, too late smart."

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I can say that if there's some physically demanding
something you want to do, like a hard near impossible
hunt, or once in a lifetime trip, etc. do it while you're
young and resilient.
Even if you have to scrimp and sacrifice for months
and save up, then quit a lucrative job, do it and don't
look back.
I've seen way too many that were waiting for the
silver haired years and didn't make it or were too
far gone and had the re-re's the rest of their sad days

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I only have two pieces of advice I'd give a young guy:

1. Make plans now and take that one or two hunts of a lifetime as soon as you possibly can while you're young. Even if it means sacrificing for material goods now. You'll never be younger than you are today and if you wait too long, you'll find out that your body can't handle it anymore and you'll be miserable. Do it now while you're young and can enjoy it. Especially those mountain hunts that are so difficult.

2. Make sure that you spend time with your parents or those family members that you care about that are older. Do things with them. Include them in your hunts or activities. Don't ignore them now and think you'll have time to spend with them later, because you won't. They'll be gone, or sick, or out of their minds with dementia before you realize and then you won't be able to do the things with them or talk to them anymore and you'll be extremely regretful.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Always take the bull by the horns - and others will watch.

A
atm Offline
A
Originally Posted by flintlocke
ATM...Deteriorata...that is classic prose. Pithy yet not pissy.

Thanks Flint

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Decrease your expectations of others, and increase your gratitude for God’s grace.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B3

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

417 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 40 invisible), 1,915 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,635
Posts18,493,138
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.