Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Im 42 yrs old. When given the opportunity, I find myself really wanting to give advice to younger guys I encounter at work, hunting trips, etc. I have come to realize that my 20's and 30's were magical and I did not fully realize it. I feel there were things that I should have capitalized on but diddn't because I lacked the knowledge, confidence, or inspiration. That got me thinking about what you guys 60 and over might have for advice for someone my age. I would really like for you guys to give me your best advice on life in general (relationships with wife, kids, friends; money; career; health; religion; hobby)etc. Basically, what have you done right and what have you done wrong. What do you feel most strongly about. What do you wish you had known, done, or been told 20- 40 years ago. Im looking for serious stuff here. Never hurts to take a look in the mirror and seek out information that can be used for self improvement. thanks a million.

GB4

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm going to be 65 in a few weeks, like about three. I've given this some thought myself. I'll think on it some more and report back. I want to give you an honest answer.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same advice an old real estate salesman gave me:

"Get a lot while you're young."

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Well, I would, but you kids never listen anyway. wink

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've being married to the same woman for 41years. My advice for a long and loving relationship is:

Don't make eye contact.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"YES DEAR" Should be a normal response to just about every thing, but hell I'm still learning, I'm on the third wife!!

"Just another day in Oz!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About to hit 66. I try to restrain myself and only offer advice or help when asked. When it comes to hunting and fishing locales, I tend to be very secretive. I've divulged such in the past, only to find the friend and his friends occupying the campsite in a subsequent season.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
only advice I would give is to stay DEBT FREE, live within your means, treat your wife and family with love and respect, maintain your relationship with God, and don't talk back to cops during traffic stops.

Sam......

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Join the Free Masons.
Don't wait as long as I did ( age 50 )
They WIll make a good man , better.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
1 Put your faith in Christ and believe in Him and His Word. An active faith.
2 Realize that you and no one else will ever be perfect.
3 Get used to pain and hard times because they are a'coming.
(Arthritis etc.)
4 Stay completely away from booze and cigs. (Cheap women too)

If you get confused go back to number 1.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I was going to advise that just because you have something to say doesn't mean someone should hear it. Then I read ColsPaul's post and liked it better. Do it. They sure helped me.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
only advice I would give is to stay DEBT FREE, live within your means, treat your wife and family with love and respect, maintain your relationship with God, and don't talk back to cops during traffic stops.

Some excellent advice there.

But, although as a general principle I fully support and respect LE, I do tend to talk back to cops at those traffic hold-ups if they are intrusive beyond reason and the least bit arrogant.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

1 Put your faith in Christ and believe in Him and His Word. An active faith.
2 Realize that you and no one else will ever be perfect.
3 Get used to pain and hard times because they are a'coming.
(Arthritis etc.)
4 Stay completely away from booze and cigs. (Cheap women too)

If you get confused go back to number 1.

Two of the best pieces of advice I may have ever seen. Wish I had learned them in my teens. When I did learn it was a lot later with a lot of dirty water under the bridge. But life got a whole lot better when I did learn and acted upon these.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Some excellent advice there.

But, although as a general principle I fully support and respect LE, I do tend to talk back to cops at those traffic hold-ups if they are intrusive beyond reason and the least bit arrogant.

I was running late on the way into work this morning. Doing a little over 50 in a 35 MPH zone.
Cop pulled me over. He was repectful and so was I. He gave me a warning ticket. No points and no $. smile

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like the ancient Greeks said, all things in moderation.

Except that gay sex stuff. Stay away from that.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keep your own counsel unless asked. If you give advice and it turns out wrong they are going to hate you for it. If the advice turns out good they won't like you because you are smarter than they are. grin

Since you asked though:

Remember that you can not drink up all the alcohol in the world as they will keep on making it.

Remember that you can not make love to all the women in the world because you will never meet most of them. Instead find one good one and stick with her what ever happens. Notice I said good one. Kissing wears out cooking don't.

There ain't a damn thing that you can buy with money you don't have. Stay out of debt slavery as much as possible.

Never lie to yourself.

Nobody in this world has to love you.

Respect is earned.

Know your limitations.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just about to hit 61.

There are probably a ton of life lessons that can be passed on here but I will stay with outdoors, hunting/fishing/camping, etc. While not risking your family's financial security and within your own established parameters, don't keep putting off those great hunts or trips. I have been in Alaska 16 years and have not yet hunted or fished even 20% of the places I wanted to go here. I kept putting it off until "Next year" and now there don't appear to be that many 'next years' of physical ability left. I have done some great hunt trips but because I've played the good host, I've let my guests shoot first which for various excuses has resulted in the fact that I STILL have never shot a Caribou. I've packed several hundred pounds meat out that my friends have shot but still not my own.

Now, because of random physical problems, some short term and a few permanent plus a successful battle with cancer that removed two seasons from my 'available to hunt' list, it is getting harder to do what I want and I blame no one but myself. Working too hard and always telling myself I would do it next time around are the main causes. Case in point. I have been telling myself to get out finish getting my new rifle sighted in, check the zero on the free float job I did on my Moose gun and get the camping trailer fixed up. Well, last night, as I was getting comfy in my overstuffed chair, I leaned over heavily on my right arm and I suddenly heard and felt some crunching in my rib cage. Probably not broken but it is sore as hell. Stupid I know but it has the possibility of delaying a lot of stuff. We shall see if I can shoot without pain. Like I said, ya just never know.

To sum it up. If you love doing it, make the time and do it. You cannot eliminate all regrets but try to keep the list small.

Just one old guy's take on it.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
many years ago ...
I wus drivin North and I saw a sign:
" Drink Canada Dry!"

I tried but I don't think I put a dent in it!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hell, throw caution to the wind and live life like you won't be here tomorrow. Play today like you have the world by the balls! Never say you're sorry and never regret a thing!! laugh

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm 78 so have lived a few years. I have been divorced and my second wife died of breast cancer so whatever you have faced or are going to face I have probably experienced to some degree. The only advice I can give is that that is contained in a book the USUALLY has a black color and the words HOLY BIBLE in gold. If you follow the rules laid down it it you will never fail to cope with whatever problem arises

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 77 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,957
Posts18,480,454
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.