Home
I have been gone a lot lately with my pop being sick. Today he felt like running some errands with me so I left early and we burnt a trail and when I got home the police was at my house my wife was screaming at my neighbors like she was gonna kill them. After I got her away from them me and the policeman got the story. First of all I actually got there just a second before the cops did and I heard shooting in the guys back yard behind the shed.

Come to find out my oldest son was on the ridge above our neighbors house crow hunting and some shot fell on his roof. That was no doubt his fault. So this guy instead of coming over and telling us what was going on or walking up there and saying now damnit boys your gonna have to watch where you shoot cause the shot is falling on my house, if you do that again I will tell your dad. He goes and gets a gun and starts shooting up into the woods.

I know that my boy was in the wrong. You can't see any houses from up there but he should have known not to shoot in that direction. He was shooting 7.5s almost strait up so it wasn't danderous he just thinking. I'm gonna make him go through hunters safety again. But what in the hell was that guy thinking? The police asked him did you think that was a good idea to get a gun and start shooting? He said well probably not. He also lied and said he shot into the ground but my wife said she could see limbs shake and dirt flying as did a friend of my sons that was with her.

The police said the charges against him would be reckless endangerment. All I have to do is go take a warrent out on him. What a f'ed up idiot to not just walk over and knock on the door. Its crazy times we live in. If I had been home and saw him shooting up that way and i knew my son was up there, well lets just say I thank God I wasn't home to see that, and all is well. SMH shakin my head, crazy mother.
I can truly say I am thankful I don't have any of you for neighbors.
Lol I hear you. it was a litte to jerry springer for me too. But you don't screw with a moma bear. I mean who in the hell shoots at kids?
Who's kids shoot at others? Neither you or your neighbor have right to be mad; only embarrassed.
Question, if your kids could not see the houses and were shooting in the direction where people lived, how did the neighbor know it was kids shooting? I am assuming he could not see them anymore than the kids could the houses.

Sounds at first blush like two counts of reckless endangerment need to be made. Kids will be kids, but guns aren't toys. I cannot say in that situation how I would have reacted either. One not knowing it was kids. Two not knowing what was being shot. Sounds like a situation that would not have happened if communication would have occurred on either part. Ya'll can point fingers all day long if you like, but thank God no one was hurt to allow you to do so.
Was he shooting a shotgun or something else towards the woods?
Birds fly in the air. You shoot shotguns into the air at the birds and the shot falls. He wasn't shooting at anyone. The shot fell probably 3 or 4 hundred yards away from where my boy was. Where he was shooting from your shots are almost strait up. There is a big difference between shot falling strait down and shooting directly in the direction of someone. It was a mistake made by a teenage boy vs something intentional by a middle aged grown man.
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Who's kids shoot at others? Neither you or your neighbor have right to be mad; only embarrassed.

Yup! That's for sure!
If someone dropped 7.5 shot on my roof i wouldn't give a chit and wouldn't say nothing. Chit Happens . Your wife and the neighbor both over reacted . You are lucky the cop didn't shoot your wife .
What did the neighbor shoot back with?
I didn't think 7.5's could go 3 or 400 yards.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

didn't see, I only heard but my wife said a revolver.

my wife was screaming its reid up there stop shooting and he just kept on shooting. He knows reid and also knows he is the only one who hunts up there and he only bird hunt and you only hunt birds with a shotgun.

Everybody knows the sound of birdshot falling on metal roofs like a barn if you have dove hunted in the south. You can tell it isn't a single loud thud not spinkles of 3 or 4 little pings.

Cops made a judgment that he was being reckless and saw where Reid was shooting from and said they couldn't belive shot could even make it that far. Like I said Reid was in the wrong but my God my wife was screaming at the guy to stop and he just looked at her and kept going. Can you imagine what she felt like. She is still a wreck.
Originally Posted by CRS

It can't.
Strong wind can put the drop area quite a distance from where the shot was fired.
I worry that there are a good many on the 'fire that may have reacted exactly as the neighbor did.
IIRC, I saw a chart once about how far different sized shot will travel..... Thinking at a 45 degree angle it was in the neighborhood of 175 yards.....

Its possible no shot fell on his roof, that he heard the shooting and it pissed him off..

You never know

But if shot did drop on the neighbor my son would be apologizing. Even after the neighbors stupid stunt.

We should be at least a notch above the others.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I worry that there are a good many on the 'fire that may have reacted exactly as the neighbor did.

Sadly I'd have to agree with you. cry
Heck I have shot falling on the roof all the time during dove season. Either by the neighbors or me. I even had if fall on me while mowing grass. Nothing is ever said as its over 300 yards away. Feels like a bugs hitting you. The neighbor is completely wrong for doing what he did. So does that mean the next time it happens to me I go get my 1919 browning out with a full ammo can of 30-06 and plet them back. He!! no, getting hit that far away with 7 1/2's don't even sting. He should have come talked to you or if he still wanted to be a azzhole call the cops, but never shoot back, what was that going to do or prove. Hes lucky he didn't hit your son or he would be someone bitch in jail.
Your son is in serious need of adult supervision and training, just sending them off to Hunter Education class in not enough. Your neighbor needs his azz kicked.
i'm thinking guns and unsupervised teens do not mix. i keep my guns in the safe at all times. i have twin teenagers and taught them well but they do not shoot unsupervised. and i live in the country with no close neighbors.
Originally Posted by jnyork
Your son is in serious need of adult supervision and training, just sending them off to Hunter Education class in not enough. Your neighbor needs his azz kicked.

+1 to that

Yes sir, he's in trouble. I have had him in a duckblind since he was 5 and he has been hunting since he was 8. He killed his first goose with a 20 ga. when he was 8. He has always been very careful and I have always taught him to be safe. He is almost 16 and I just started to give him a little rope cause i was hunting by myself when i was 12 or 13. He had a head in the ass moment and that mixed with a very windy day led shot falling in a bad place and I plan on going through hunter safety with him for the second time. He has always been supervised till lately when hunting and I will now shorten his rope.

That ain't right. I'm afraid we'd have to have a little talk about that.
Anyone who has spent a lot of time outdoors in areas where bird hunting is common has probably had a birdshot shower, which is fairly harmless.

I seriously doubt that your son's birdshot rained on his roof. 3-400 yards is just too far for me to believe. For the moment, I call BS on the neighbor's story. You at least have to consider the possibility that your son did absolutely nothing unsafe.

If you want to believe that birdshot did rain on your neighbor's roof, there is a world of difference between the actions of your son and the actions of your neighbor. If the neighbor's story is true, then what your son did was possibly careless and disrespectful, but not forseeably dangerous to life or property. Your neighbor's action was a chargeable felony, and a direct threat to life and property. Now if he was shooting with a revolver, at targets 3-400 yards away, he probably wasn't likely to kill anyone, but it's still a felony.

My suggestion is that you'll probably have this person as a neighbor for a while, and you're better off telling him that you'll forego prosecution. Your neighbor ought to be the one apologizing, but if you want a good neighbor, you're better off not making that a condition.
Your son did nothing wrong , he doesn't need any more education , at least not for some shot falling on someones house. Buying him some ammo and tell him to go crow hunting again . Your neighbor is the one who needs some more education .

Is it possible your neighbor is full of [bleep]?

7.5's ain't going that far with or without wind.

I'd hate to see a kid that actually likes to play outside lose privileges because of a [bleep] up neighbor.

Unsupervised teens with guns? Heck, I was hunting by myself at ten years old. And if I hadn't been, I doubt I would have turned into much of a hunter. My dad was too busy working to do much but on the weekends and with a farm, most of the time not then either. By the time I was actually a teen, I did whatever I wanted with a gun. I figure a 12 year old with a gun, even a slightly reckless one, is about fifty times less dangerous than your average 16 year old behind the wheel of daddy's pick-up and most of you don't bat an eye at that.

As for birdshot, anyone who ever bird hunted or squirrel hunted has had it rain down on you and it is harmless. A shot in the air with birdshot, is a safe shot. It might be rude to shoot so that shot ends up on your neighbor's roof, but it isn't dangerous in the slightest.
Good Plan SealBilly. Kids are gonna make mistakes. And if that's the worst he ever does while hunting, you've done a good job. Just remember, kids today are probably not quite as mature as we were at that same age.

Like you, I've been hunting on my own, and was allowed to run wild on our Ranch with a .22 or a single shot 16ga un-supervised since I was about 11 or 12.
I'm sure I made some bone-headed mistakes, and was just damn lucky my old man didn't see them, or catch me in the act. Luckily, I somehow survived to reach adulthood.

My Dad used what I like to call the "Tony Lama" method of Gun Saftey on me & my little brother.
Another words, if we pointed a gun in a un-safe direction, he would bury his pointed toe Tony Lama boots right up our ass with a swift kick you didn't soon forget. Of course, nowadays, that would be considered child abuse!

I'm Not recommending that for your son, though. I don't have any children, but every one of my Neices & Nephews have rifles & shotguns that I bought them and trained them with. And my patience & a little positive re-enforcement has gone a long way in teaching them all good firearms saftey, and also safe gun handling & hunting.
Like I said, all kids make mistakes. Let him know how serious it could have been, and like you said, tighten up the ole lease for now. I bet he will be just fine, and grow up to be a fine young man.

As for your neighbor, he's damn lucky it wasn't my child or neice or nephew that he randomly returned fire at in a general direction! I'm not very patient at all with an idiot that just returns fire in the direction of a gunshot that he "heard"
That SOB would be eating his next few meals through a straw, if you know what I mean!

In my 40+ years of Dove Hunting, I've been peppered with bird shot a time or two. It does happen when you have a lot of hunters in a 600 acre milo field, with the doves flying hot and heavy. It feels like light rain drops, so when the shooter is 400 yards away, not a whole lot of chance for a serious injury.
Personally, I doubt the #7.5 shot ever reached your neighbors house at 400 yards. My guess was the guy heard gunshots & just decided to show his ass by Acting Stupid. If he was randomly shooting pistol rounds at your son and your wife witnessed the act, I would Definately file charges on him! JMHO, though.
I don't see that your son did anything wrong. If he was 300-400 yards from the house, any reasonable person (teen or adult) wouldn't think that to be unsafe with that type of weapon/load.

Your neighbor, on the other hand, recklessly fired a weapon in the direction he knew people to be. He's guilty of a crime in every state I'm aware of
my wife was screaming its reid up there stop shooting and he just kept on shooting. He knows reid and also knows he is the only one who hunts up there and he only bird hunt and you only hunt birds with a shotgun.

Who on earth would keep shooting with a kid's mom begging them to stop?

The guy is incredibly malicious or functionally deranged or both.

Ordinarily I'd be all about reconciliation, sorting stuff out informally, and not involving Cops.

But in this case sounds like he's already crossed a line. What's next? One of you having to deploy deadly force?

Based upon the facts presented here I'd file charges.

JMHO,
Birdwatcher
my neighbor would shoot a gun at my child once

and only once.
ok what is making this thread weird to me is people are more worried about how far shot will travel than how people act or the safety of my kids. So here is the deal do the math if it makes you feel better.

My property is 288 feet long north to south the corner of the field is about another 50 yards north and maybe 150 yards west. My neighbors house is close to another 300 feet from the south end of my property making the blind we shoot crows out of kind of northwest of his house. Ridge is about a 30 degree incline and is about 100 yards tall. Hell I don't know it could be closer to 200 250 yards I suck at math and I'm a shot gun guy who doesnt give a $hit if it isnt within 50 yards not a rifle shooter that can say that's 207 yards dead flippin nuts on the money cause I shot a crow with a 204 that had one blue eye at 207 yards and I know 207 yards like the top of my weenie.

Point being its a long ways and the distance of the shot fall isn't what's important. I mean wth some idiot shot in the direction of my son who I love more than life on purpose.
Ive had shot rain down on me many times in the woods, not a big deal at all...your neighbor sounds like an idiot.
I would have filed charges on that SOB in a heart beat! Some one earlier in this thread mentioned apologizing to the neighbor, and not filing charges as to keep peace with a "neighbor" or something to that effect.
If that SOB took random shots at my KID, I'd make damn sure he knew that he was not going to be MY neighbor, and even if that meant going to court.
That guy is unstable to say the least, if he did what your wife said & witnessed, and is a danger to everyone in your neigborhood.

Also, some certain Campfire Posters are always criticizing LE on here for being too quick to arrest someone.
If I had been SealBilly, I'd of been damn pissed if the responding officer DID NOT take that SOB directly to jail!

Whether the kid made an honest mistake or if the neighbor was just lying, That SOB committed a crime with the stupid ass stunt he pulled. I'm sure it would be at least a Class A Misdomeanor, or probably even a Class C Felony! Either way, I damn sure wouldn't won't that unstable SOB around my Wife or Kids !!!
Your neighbor was completly out of line and should be prosecuted before he hurts someone. As a father I'm just glad to hear that your boy is ok. All kids use poor judgement at times, and I'm not saying yours did, but for someone to shoot at someone over that is psychotic. Your neighbor is sick and should get some help. This could have ended much worse.

Bb
Originally Posted by KFWA
my neighbor would shoot a gun at my child once

and only once.

Not often I agree with you. But on this I do.
I'm not fileing charges but I told the cops right in front of my wife and the neighbor if he ever comes outside with a gun and shoot up into the woods when my son is hunting on top of the ridge again I most esuredly will take his life and you can put that in your report. And I will, without hesitation. I don't give a damn about anything in this world, money, material stuff all that crap but my family and my friends are worth more that anything to me.

I have give that man fish that I have caught, rope that was gonna be thrown away at work after a wire pull, took him bowls of chilli when I made a big pot and was the first one to welcome him when he moved here. I put a 2200 dollar fence in my back yard so my beagles would stay out of his garden, he was to dang stupid to understand they were killing the rabbits that were eating his garden. I just don't understand.
It's entirely possible for shot to travel 200-300 yds and fall HARMLESSLY to the ground.

The neighbor needs to be charged for his actions, but the boy really didn't do anything "wrong", and doesn't deserve any punishment at all

Originally Posted by seal_billy
ok what is making this thread weird to me is people are more worried about how far shot will travel than how people act or the safety of my kids. So here is the deal do the math if it makes you feel better.

My property is 288 feet long north to south the corner of the field is about another 50 yards north and maybe 150 yards west. My neighbors house is close to another 300 feet from the south end of my property making the blind we shoot crows out of kind of northwest of his house. Ridge is about a 30 degree incline and is about 100 yards tall. Hell I don't know it could be closer to 200 250 yards I suck at math and I'm a shot gun guy who doesnt give a $hit if it isnt within 50 yards not a rifle shooter that can say that's 207 yards dead flippin nuts on the money cause I shot a crow with a 204 that had one blue eye at 207 yards and I know 207 yards like the top of my weenie.

Point being its a long ways and the distance of the shot fall isn't what's important. I mean wth some idiot shot in the direction of my son who I love more than life on purpose.

PREZACTLY !!!

The more I think about the Incadent, the madder I get! mad THAT Sorry SOB endangered the life of your Kid, and it seems like the responding LEO wasn't even concerned about the saftey of your Family! That SOB should have been in the back of a Patrol Car in Handcuffs, and headed straight to Jail! I think if I was you, I'd be having a conversation with the local Police Chief or Sherriff, of that Agency first thing Monday Morning. And My First Question would be " why the hell ain't that SOB in Jail, and why hasen't his handgun been logged in as evidence!
And I would bet money that most of the LEO guys here on the Fire would agree that it is quite a serious matter or Offense! Again, JMO, though.
I am getting the house ready to sell asap. I have hated it here for the last 10 years. This is the straw that broke the camels back! Its paid off is the only reason I'm still here but this is just stupid.
Your neighbor is a fuggin idiot and needs his ass whipped. You should be happy your kid is shootin' crows instead of shootin' dope. That birdshot wasn't dangerous to your neighbor and I say he's full of sh*t.
7 1/2s at anything over 75 yards is not going to hurt anything. Neighbors should be charged.
Tell your neighbor if he shoots his pistol at your son again , you will start buying him 00 Buck to crow hunt with .
There is a big difference between a kid making a mistake and an adult intentionally shooting toward a kid.

If the figures you provided are correct, it's 288 yards from your shooting blind to the neighbors house.

To stay under 300 yards you need no more then 3 shot with 3 dram loads. Since the standard upland game loads are 3 1/2 drams you neighbors house appears to be in range for a little lead rain.

kid needs schooled on the 4 basic firearms saftey rules. chit like this starts with its only a bb gun then its only a shotgun then its only a 22. dad wore redwings not lamas
I am getting the house ready to sell asap. I have hated it here for the last 10 years. This is the straw that broke the camels back! Its paid off is the only reason I'm still here but this is just stupid.

It's a good time to sell.

Prices are high, and if you with to mortgage a new property you can still get in before rates increase.

I don't think the kid did anything wrong at all. A shot in the air with bird shot, is a safe shot. If the thought of someone shooting over your head at a distance bothers you, please stay out of the dove fields.

But anyway, they neighbor sounds like an idiot. I'd probably let it go too, but he needs to understand a thing or two.
Don't be too tough on the boy. He learned a good lesson about his shotgun's range. Your neighbor learned one, too.
The reason I bring the shot distance up is because I don't think your Son is at fault at all. I think your neighbor is a piece of cap and needs his ass whipped. Definitely wasn't justifying your neighbors action.
Wisturkeyhunter, I knew what you ment. Wasnt aimed at you. Some of the earlier posts were what I was addressing. No worries bro, I was just making a point and those guys in the earlier post are intitled to their opinion s too.
This thread reminds me of my mid teen years when my hunting bud and I used to shoot birdshot at each other from 100yds or so. 7 1/2's were harmless, but 5's and 6's got kinda stingy at times. Have a hard time believing 7 1/2's would travel 300-400 yards.

If'n your neighbor was shooting a handgun towards your kid at that distance he really oughta have his butt kicked. Although the law would likely side with him on that issue and you'd be in deeper than him.

Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Everybody knows the sound of birdshot falling on metal roofs like a barn if you have dove hunted in the south. You can tell it isn't a single loud thud not spinkles of 3 or 4 little pings.

Cops made a judgment that he was being reckless and saw where Reid was shooting from and said they couldn't belive shot could even make it that far. Like I said Reid was in the wrong but my God my wife was screaming at the guy to stop and he just looked at her and kept going. Can you imagine what she felt like. She is still a wreck.

I'd tell that sucker he best thank God you weren't home or you would have stopped him dead nuts cold for attempted murder.
Should have pressed charges. Been peppered with shot multiple times and I just laugh. Firing towards somebody with a handgun intentionally? That needs jail time.
Yep. Sounds like attempted murder to me.
I would press charges. This guy was shooting at your kid for Christ's sake!

I'm not fileing charges but I told the cops right in front of my wife and the neighbor if he ever comes outside with a gun and shoot up into the woods when my son is hunting on top of the ridge again I most esuredly will take his life and you can put that in your report. And I will, without hesitation...

I understand how you feel, but should such a thing occur in the future, please stop and consider that your son needs you around to be in his life, not locked away from him.

Oh crap.

Oh, are you from New York. You're as bad as the neighbor who was pissed because he was getting shot at. I hope you aren't a teacher and have a kid eat a pop tart the wrong shape.
Originally Posted by rem141r
i'm thinking guns and unsupervised teens do not mix. i keep my guns in the safe at all times. i have twin teenagers and taught them well but they do not shoot unsupervised. and i live in the country with no close neighbors.

So the kids who have used a gun protecting themselves or siblings from an intruder would have been chitt out of luck in your house?
Originally Posted by Mink

+1 to that

Half the folks on the fire figured shot fired up wouldn't go that far so the kid needs heck for not knowing better? Some folks need to get a life.
Was anybody there wearing a wife beater?
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Who on earth would keep shooting with a kid's mom begging them to stop?

The guy is incredibly malicious or functionally deranged or both.

Ordinarily I'd be all about reconciliation, sorting stuff out informally, and not involving Cops.

But in this case sounds like he's already crossed a line. What's next? One of you having to deploy deadly force?

Based upon the facts presented here I'd file charges.

JMHO,
Birdwatcher

This^^^. The guy is a nut job.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I would have filed charges on that SOB in a heart beat! Some one earlier in this thread mentioned apologizing to the neighbor, and not filing charges as to keep peace with a "neighbor" or something to that effect.
If that SOB took random shots at my KID, I'd make damn sure he knew that he was not going to be MY neighbor, and even if that meant going to court.
That guy is unstable to say the least, if he did what your wife said & witnessed, and is a danger to everyone in your neigborhood.

Also, some certain Campfire Posters are always criticizing LE on here for being too quick to arrest someone.
If I had been SealBilly, I'd of been damn pissed if the responding officer DID NOT take that SOB directly to jail!

Whether the kid made an honest mistake or if the neighbor was just lying, That SOB committed a crime with the stupid ass stunt he pulled. I'm sure it would be at least a Class A Misdomeanor, or probably even a Class C Felony! Either way, I damn sure wouldn't won't that unstable SOB around my Wife or Kids !!!

At least Texans can tell chitt by the smell of it.

I wouldn't even need turrets
I'm not fileing charges but I told the cops right in front of my wife and the neighbor if he ever comes outside with a gun and shoot up into the woods when my son is hunting on top of the ridge again I most esuredly will take his life and you can put that in your report. And I will, without hesitation. I don't give a damn about anything in this world, money, material stuff all that crap but my family and my friends are worth more that anything to me.

I have give that man fish that I have caught, rope that was gonna be thrown away at work after a wire pull, took him bowls of chilli when I made a big pot and was the first one to welcome him when he moved here. I put a 2200 dollar fence in my back yard so my beagles would stay out of his garden, he was to dang stupid to understand they were killing the rabbits that were eating his garden. I just don't understand.

You will never be able to understand crazy people. Lot of folks died thinking they had a nut job figured out.
Originally Posted by pal
Don't be too tough on the boy. He learned a good lesson about his shotgun's range. Your neighbor learned one, too.

That's an assumption it's best not to make with a nut.
First, for the guys doubting the travel of shot, we have it documented and tested that 7 1/2 go about 900 feet or 300 yards. The Club I belong to had to find out because we have a fairly busy road on one of our borders.

Second, if the neighbor would've simply said to the youth, "hey, you're raining shot on the house." I'm sure the youth would've said, "sorry", and it probably wouldn't have happened again. Here in my state, we have to only be 150 yards away from an occupied dwelling.

Neighbor firing a pistol in his direction needs to be arrested for felonious assault at the minimum. That was just stupid and how people get killed. If the boy would've died, it would be 2nd degree at a minimum. If it's me? I sign the warrant.

Don't be too hard on your boy, he learned his lesson. And good on Mama! Who knows what the dickhead next door would've done when your son returned. He already exhibited his dominant stupidity gene.
Originally Posted by huntsonora

guaranteed!!!!!
Not taking a side, but will bring up a couple things not mentioned.

1) Don't try to justify your dogs in your neighbors garden by excusing them because they killed the rabbits in his garden for him. It's his garden to defend, not yours. And I don't know too many dogs that don't love to [bleep] in the neighbors yard. I'm sure that didn't help relations if they did.

2)Don't blame your neighbor for the $2200 fence, they're your dogs, they are your responsibility. Keep them home at your expense and trouble. They should never be his problem. How many hotheads here shoot on sight when the neighbors dog shows up?

3) If lead shot WAS falling on his house, it very well could have been falling on his wifes car or his $60K Dodge truck too. I don't think that's cool, even if your insurance takes care of the damage, if any. He shouldn't have shot falling on him at his own house.

4) If he knows your kid hunts up there, then your kid also knows his house is down there. It's your kids responsibility not to shoot towards houses. Your neighbor is at your kids mercy.

5) I haven't been around many hounds, but the ones I've seen can bark pretty obnoxiously. Is yours? Are they keeping him up at night?

Your neighbor sounds like he blew a gasket, never ok unless threatened with life or limb. Sounds like he needs to move, or seriously decompress. Tick tick tick... Watch out for him. Glad he's not my neighbor! frown

But are you sure you haven't been contributing to his uneasiness as your neighbor? If he's having ongoing issues with you, your dogs, your kid, or your wife, your whatever, you may be a bad neighbor as well. Not saying you are, because I don't know. But I wouldn't rule it out with your characterization of the things that have gone on between you two. Might want to put yourself in his shoes and see if there isn't something you can do to help this guy feel at home in his home.
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Let us know when this will be on the Jerry Springer Show. Bring them beagles as a backup.
A guy shoots at a kid and doesnt get arrested?!? That wouldnt happen around here.

Getting sprinkled by shot from above is really a non event. Imo the kid didnt do anyhting wrong.
Mama shoulda grabbed a gun instead of a telephone.
Originally Posted by Auger01
A guy shoots at a kid and doesnt get arrested?!? That wouldnt happen around here.

Here either. That would be a GO TO JAIL; DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200 card for sure. wink
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Not taking a side, but will bring up a couple things not mentioned.

1) Don't try to justify your dogs in your neighbors garden by excusing them because they killed the rabbits in his garden for him. It's his garden to defend, not yours. And I don't know too many dogs that don't love to [bleep] in the neighbors yard. I'm sure that didn't help relations if they did.

2)Don't blame your neighbor for the $2200 fence, they're your dogs, they are your responsibility. Keep them home at your expense and trouble. They should never be his problem. How many hotheads here shoot on sight when the neighbors dog shows up?

3) If lead shot WAS falling on his house, it very well could have been falling on his wifes car or his $60K Dodge truck too. I don't think that's cool, even if your insurance takes care of the damage, if any. He shouldn't have shot falling on him at his own house.

4) If he knows your kid hunts up there, then your kid also knows his house is down there. It's your kids responsibility not to shoot towards houses. Your neighbor is at your kids mercy.

5) I haven't been around many hounds, but the ones I've seen can bark pretty obnoxiously. Is yours? Are they keeping him up at night?

Your neighbor sounds like he blew a gasket, never ok unless threatened with life or limb. Sounds like he needs to move, or seriously decompress. Tick tick tick... Watch out for him. Glad he's not my neighbor! frown

But are you sure you haven't been contributing to his uneasiness as your neighbor? If he's having ongoing issues with you, your dogs, your kid, or your wife, your whatever, you may be a bad neighbor as well. Not saying you are, because I don't know. But I wouldn't rule it out with your characterization of the things that have gone on between you two. Might want to put yourself in his shoes and see if there isn't something you can do to help this guy feel at home in his home.

Yes I understand the dogs are my responsibility and I wasn't trying to justify myself was just stating that i tried to keep things friendly. I had beagles before he moved in. I did the neighborly thing by putting them in a fence when they got on his nerves. They don't bark much at all unless a rabbit or cat comes close to their fence and it a quiet night for all because they sleep in our house at night.

I have lived here since 1987 and never had any problems with neighbors before him. But the guy below him has had trouble with him too. He is the problem. All summer long he sits outside or in his basement with the garage door up, which is fine but he plays music so loud you can't think. He is the problem. As soon as he moved in he put a barb wire fence around his whole place and put no hunting or fishing signs on every wood post. There is only like 2 flippin acres and no water to fish in, he thinks his 2 acres is a ranch.. He's a crazy bastard. My wife has never said a word to him but hello when they were both in the yard. Shes a peach not a battle ax. My boys stay in our yard and have helped his dad who lives with him and is about 80 do chores. My neighbor that lived there before him was great and he told me when he left for Ky. for a job that he appreciated me and hoped the best for me and he hated to leave. I'm not a saint but trust me its not me.
I'm not a saint but trust me its not me.

rest assured, that after reading your horsechit thread, I'll NEVER trust you to do the right thing, Mister.

The azzwhole fired a center fire arm at your SON.

Man up, and quit crawling / flopping around on the ground in front of this fire.

Go lay charges .

GTC
I'd hide the neighbor's revolver

up his azz

then he could look at it every day

what a f'ing moron

so thankful this story isn't about your kidding getting hit.

good luck on the move and hate it for your whole family to have to endure this BS.

keep your calm, and good luck to you guys sealbilly, what a helluva day

Well, this has been entertainment for a poor IT guy trying to kill time while the consultants try to bring a dead server farm back to life.

Let me make some observations.

1) The 16 year old did nothing wrong. I seriously doubt the idea of 7.5 shot traveling that far. The neighbor is lying. Throw that out, and you have a young safe hunter hunting safely.

2) The correct thing to do when hunters are hunting too close to your house is call the cops, not go out and discharge a pistol in their direction. That neighbor belongs in jail.

We moved into a new neighborhood back in '69. There was an old farm adjoining our property, and we used to get rabbit hunters every fall coming through. Hunting in the township was illegal, so every fall when the rabbit hunters started shooting, Mom would call me in, call the township police and the police would come out and tell the hunters to leave. No muss, no fuss. I cannot imagine my father going out and trying to return fire. That is deranged.

I was involved in an incident on the other side of the issue about 30 years ago. My buddy and I were out at a friend's farm throwing clays for each other. A local town cop showed up, and said he'd received a complaint. I explained that we were there by the permission of the landowner and we were firing away from the housing project on the other side of the road. The cop said we were now inside city limits. I politely disputed the fact, and the cop said we could finish our round, but to check with the landowner asap. Monday AM, I called the landowner, and he said the property had been annexed the week before and apologized to me and then called the town cops to straighten things out.

If a neighbor had come out of his house that day and decided he had the right to fire at us at a distance of 300 yards, I would have thought charges of attempted murder would be in order.
Everything down? Bummer.
Your neighbor is a POS.....you need to move!
I'd go file the charges.
I'd also GPS the physical distance from three location if the hulls to the roof and have the neighbor who saw him with the revolver ready to give a statement.
Get a notarized statement from a game warden staying that #7 from X distance couldn't penetrate wet toilet paper.
A guy shoots at a kid and doesnt get arrested?!? That wouldn't happen around here.

Getting sprinkled by shot from above is really a non event. Imo the kid didn't do anything wrong.
Originally Posted by frogman43
Your neighbor is a POS.....you need to move!

No, your neighbor is a piece of sh*t and he needs to move, 'cause his house accidently caught on fire and burned to the ground.
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

rest assured, that after reading your horsechit thread, I'll NEVER trust you to do the right thing, Mister.

Man up, and quit crawling / flopping around on the ground in front of this fire.

Go lay charges .

GTC

Little harsh ain't it?
Check the Tennessee hunting regulations to see how far from an occupied dwelling you are required to be before discharging a firearm. The prosecutor who handles your complaint against your neighbor will certainly check that reg. I believe the law is 100 yards but you better know for sure. Was the land your son was hunting on yours, public or some other landowner? Did he have written permission if it was so posted? Sometimes when the legal system gets involved there are unintended consequences.
100 yards, another land owner permition by word of mouth, land is not posted.
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Everything down? Bummer.

Yeah, in the interim, I've had to drive 35 miles into work, to relieve my partner. This was supposed to be a 1 hour outage. We now have 2 consultants on death watch, waiting for another consultant in Canada to call back.

Lock the doors.

Go lay charges .

GTC

ok lets say I do, then what happens is what usually happens, our wonderful system works like it usually does. Nothing happens but a slap on the wrist or jail and he makes bail right back out, now we already know this dude is crazy. Now crazy guy is mad as hell. My kids are home alone for 2 hours everyday before I get home from work with that guy next door.

You say man up, let me tell ya it was a lot harder for me not to beat his eyes out than it was to use my brain, keep my cool and think about what is gonna be the thing that keeps my boys safe. I have wanted to move for a while so its gonna be now.

You seem so very nice, maybe I'll buy a house next to you. grin.

Good luck. What size company? Never even heard of an entire farm going TU at once. Hope your DR plan is up to date.
Man oh man seal billy, sounds like you've got a true crazy. Sorry for your trouble. I left town never to return for events exactly as you describe. Your long term solution is to live in the country. Trust me on that one, you'll be much happier.
If these things are recurring, you filing charges may be what is needed to either get him into the system and held accountable, get him to move, or get him to shut up. One things for sure, doing nothing gets you nothing.
On the loud music, cops hate it when all the neighbors call repeatedly for parties at the same place. You and your neighbors can band together and marathon call the cops on the nights he plays the music.
Again, YOUR happiness will be an investment. Move to the country ultimately.
Bad deal all around, hope Mother Hen is calmed back down and okay today. smile

Gunner
Congratulations on not stomping his GD guts out. A major escalation to deadly endangerment like his is nearing insane territory, so prepare for more of it. That genie is out of the bottle now. Be safe.
Nah, I imagine the guy feels like a first rate dumbass this morning and he'll probably tread pretty lightly from here on out.
I read this thread again, and more details have come out.

1. The neighbor knows your son and that he bird hunts in that area.
2. Your wife was screaming at him to stop.
3. The guy was using a revolver.

While your son made an error in judgement, this azzhat neighbor of yours made a conscious descision to try and fatally harm your son. He cannot claim ignorance due to the above. That requires IMO an azz whipping at best and legal prosecution as well. Also IMO, attempted murder would not be a stretch knowing the above.
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Good luck. What size company? Never even heard of an entire farm going TU at once. Hope your DR plan is up to date.

It's a small farm and a long story. We're about a year into a massive clean-up after they fired the VP and started doing it right. They hired me just in time to see his tail lights.

My guess is the Canadians will come across in the next hour.
The root cause was a corrupted VMWare host-- bad luck. The HA worked, but. . .

Sorry for the unintentional hijack.

Back to the subject. My feeling is that anytime you pop a primer in someone's direction, you mean to kill them. Beyond that, everything else in this story is fluff. Call the prosecutor on Monday AM. In KY, you can put a peace bond on the perp and squelch that kind of stuff.
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

Granted that hindsight is 20-20, but his ass woulda been paid for if Mother Hen had dropped him while he was shooting toward her kid.

The OP wouldn't have to move and maybe the neighbor's replacement wouldn't be insane.
Originally Posted by pira114

Go lay charges .

GTC

Little harsh ain't it?

No ,.......one's SON getting shot would be "Harsh".

Originally Posted by curdog4570

Gunner

Granted that hindsight is 20-20, but his ass woulda been paid for if Mother Hen had dropped him while he was shooting toward her kid.

The OP wouldn't have to move and maybe the neighbor's replacement wouldn't be insane.

Or this crazy bastard returns fire on his wife at that point and the man is either dealing with a dead spouse or trying to get her out of jail. I think she reacted appropriately under the circumstances. No need to escalate the crazy with someone that is already in loonyville.

With that said, I damn sure would not have faulted her is she went over and put this guys balls into the next county.

No need to escalate the crazy with someone that is already in loonyville.

With that said, I damn sure would not have faulted her is she went over and put this guys balls into the next county.

If she really had been in fear that this guy was not only flaming away on his revolver but acted like he was intentionally trying to hit someone, she would have been within her rights to take him down. With a firearm!
I hope you're not suggesting you think she could have prevailed against this guy , who was armed and flaming away, by just walking over there, on his property, and attacking him physically. That would be really stupid.
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Gunner

Or this crazy bastard returns fire on his wife at that point and the man is either dealing with a dead spouse or trying to get her out of jail. I think she reacted appropriately under the circumstances. No need to escalate the crazy with someone that is already in loonyville.

Yes, I'd kick Jr's backside, pet Momma, and let the legal system play their usual game with neighbor, then in 5/10 years he'd turn around and I'd be there......................

Gunner
How does that saying go?

Oh yea,,, There's two sides to every story. The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.

Or something like that.
Some here think the boy didn't do anything wrong. Seems to me one of the basic rules of shooting are to know where every shot is going to end up. With houses in the area he shouldn't be shooting in that direction no matter how harmless the end result would seem to be. He is certainly less in the wrong than the neighbour but not completely guilt free.

Jim
Agreed, the boy needs to be more careful, but 7.5 shot dropping on a roof. Who does he shoot at when it hails?
Your neighbor was definitely out of line.

If anyone is ever going to have the pleasure of shooting my kids,
it's definitely going to be me. I've earned it. wink
I would watch the neighbor. What else is going to set him off on a shooting spree ? Hope cool heads prevail and all can see the dangers here and defuse any future problems.
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Some here think the boy didn't do anything wrong. Seems to me one of the basic rules of shooting are to know where every shot is going to end up. With houses in the area he shouldn't be shooting in that direction no matter how harmless the end result would seem to be. He is certainly less in the wrong than the neighbour but not completely guilt free.

Jim

He did know where it was going...up. A shotgun filled with birdshot and shot in the air is safe, period. It isn't a rifle.

Have any of you ever been duck hunting on a busy WMA on opening day? My goodness if some of you went by the same standards there that you espouse here, you would never take your shotgun out of the case. The shot sometimes looks like rain tinkling down in the decoys. At times, it is almost constant.

On the other hand, it might be considered rude. Especially if there were other options.
SealBilly,unless you actually saw and collected some of that 7.5 shot that was supposedly falling on the house...Nobody's gonna convince me that it happened.I believe this person just wanted to act crazy and put on a show like he's all bad and crazy,don't you know.Your Son did nothing wrong.

I know that my boy was in the wrong. You can't see any houses from up there but he should have known not to shoot in that direction. He was shooting 7.5s almost strait up so it wasn't danderous he just thinking. I'm gonna make him go through hunters safety again.

Well, that's the good part. for the rest of it...

Sorry to hear about your Dad, and your neighbor, and the cops. All that doesn't sound so good.

Sycamore
Originally Posted by shameless
SealBilly,unless you actually saw and collected some of that 7.5 shot that was supposedly falling on the house...Nobody's gonna convince me that it happened.I believe this person just wanted to act crazy and put on a show like he's all bad and crazy,don't you know.Your Son did nothing wrong.

Yea, lying brat was probably chootin crows with buckshot. crazy

I'd definitely call a fire member and his son liars rather than question someone trying to choot a kid with a pistol.

Shameless fits you well.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

No need to escalate the crazy with someone that is already in loonyville.

If she really had been in fear that this guy was not only flaming away on his revolver but acted like he was intentionally trying to hit someone, she would have been within her rights to take him down. With a firearm!
I hope you're not suggesting you think she could have prevailed against this guy , who was armed and flaming away, by just walking over there, on his property, and attacking him physically. That would be really stupid.

9 of 10 women I am aware of would be hard pressed to prevail in a gunfight with an already armed azzhat. Bad situation either way, but I do feel she would have been within her rights either way as well.

I ain't suggesting jack chit, as I cannot say how I would have reacted in the same situation, but I damn sure would have got my hands on the guy....gun or not. Personally, I feel a rifle would have been the best solution.
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by shameless

Yea, lying brat was probably chootin crows with buckshot. crazy

I'd definitely call a fire member and his son liars rather than question someone trying to choot a kid with a pistol.

Shameless fits you well.
What are you talking about?I refuse to believe any bird shot was raining on the idiot's roof.I also do believe he just saw an opportunity to act an idiot and shoot at the kid.So what are you trying to say?
The kid did nothing wrong and the neighbor is a dangerous idiot. Birdshot is harmless falling and most likely didn't fall that far away. All the little bitches here wringing their hands and pontificating about how wrong the kid was are hunting posers.
What I want to hear is the storey from your son as far as being under fire. Did he hear the pistol? That storey.
I thing the boys mom was watching the nut job shooting into the woods where the boy was.

That's why she lost her cool and was screaming at the guy to stop shooting.
That boy did nothing wrong! At 300 yards there is no way him or anyone else could predict 7.5 shot falling on a house. I wouldn't take any action toward that lad. The neighbor needs that revolver shoved up his a$$ and fired. My father had a Greyhound farm in Penrose with lots of water that carried over on his neighbors land and when the locals hunted ducks and geese the shot would fall on the corrugated roofs and the only thing said is looks like they are hunting, maybe they will let us have one or two.
Glad no one was hurt first of all.
Now as for the neighbor,he should have been arrested.
He did wrong not your kid.
From where my son was I don't think hecould have possably hit him. The ridge is about 100-150 yards tall and it Iis flat on the top. Reid was on the oopposite side of the field. He said he didn't hear the guy yelling but he heard shots and then my wife called him and told him to get home and that schmuck was shooting up his way. We as does the guy below him call him schmuck. The guy from what I gather from Tabitha shot a couple of times before she went outside and when she did go outside he was raising all kinds of hell. That's when he shot 3 more times in reids direction. That's when she flipped and called reid, 911 and then I pulled up. Reid said he heard shots but knew before my wife called him they were headed in his direction when he heard one zip overhead and to his right. When he left the blind he circled around as to go away from the danger. I could tell from here he came out of the woods.

That crap was like a dream after it was over. I'm still in disbelief.
Some on here think they're two side to the story but I say they're 3 or 4 cause the ass hole told the cops 2 different ones while I stood there.
Sound like all are well, which is good. I've never viewed raining shot as an issue all. As a kid in some of Virginia's crowded corn fields during dove season, folks rained shot all over each other and never drew a comment.

With today's ignorant sector though, I guess one should minimize those events.

Taking on horizontal shot, however, is another deal indeed.
take gunner's advice

keep you family safe, if justice is to be served, there needs to be a significant cooling period.

I'm not advocating you do anything in particular.

other than keep your family safe the best way you can, including having their husband and dad around forever.

best to you in this f'ed up situation
I don't believe any fell on his house,and I hope they keep an eye on that nut next door.It would be a bad day at Blackrock if a neighbor was pulling that around here.Even if some did fall to the roof he couldn't have heard it,not on metal,and certainly not on shingles.
thanks guys for the good wishes. I'm ready to get back on some obama hating and best caliber debating or who shaves there junk more often and who looks better in a thong threads, o or who drives on ice better yanks or hillbillies. The Fire is chaos, lol.
Sign the warrant. If he shoots another kid, or God forbid Reid, you'll never forgive yourself.

This guy has crossed a line and it will be that much easier to cross the next time. Your boy heard the bullet zing, it was clearly fired in his direction. If you've ever had heard that sound you'll never forget it.
thanks guys for the good wishes. I'm ready to get back on some obama hating and best caliber debating or who shaves there junk more often and who looks better in a thong threads, o or who drives on ice better yanks or hillbillies. The Fire is chaos, lol.

I've been around the Fire just long enough to know that just because you start a thread, does not mean you can end it. grin
I used to have a crazy neighbor once but your neighbor has mine beat beat. Don't want to go into the details and take away from this thread. I can understand your anger.
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Sign the warrant. If he shoots another kid, or God forbid Reid, you'll never forgive yourself.

This guy has crossed a line and it will be that much easier to cross the next time. Your boy heard the bullet zing, it was clearly fired in his direction. If you've ever had heard that sound you'll never forget it.

I wonder if anyone knows how far away one can normally hear the zing of a bullet as it goes by. It's pretty frightening, actually.

Maybe you should - cross is very good people!

Mark
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Unsupervised teens with guns? Heck, I was hunting by myself at ten years old. And if I hadn't been, I doubt I would have turned into much of a hunter. My dad was too busy working to do much but on the weekends and with a farm, most of the time not then either. By the time I was actually a teen, I did whatever I wanted with a gun. I figure a 12 year old with a gun, even a slightly reckless one, is about fifty times less dangerous than your average 16 year old behind the wheel of daddy's pick-up and most of you don't bat an eye at that.

As for birdshot, anyone who ever bird hunted or squirrel hunted has had it rain down on you and it is harmless. A shot in the air with birdshot, is a safe shot. It might be rude to shoot so that shot ends up on your neighbor's roof, but it isn't dangerous in the slightest.
I agree...... if you dove hunt you have most likely been hit by falling shot, it's no big deal. George Digweed breaks clays at 130 yards. if the kids were hunting up in the hills I could see it going that far if it was down a hill a ways. Have a talk with the son and let him keep enjoying the outdoors safely.
Originally Posted by CRS
Oh, yes they can (depending on wind).. But on the drop, one could catch pellets in your hand and find out they feel about the same as sleet..

In any case - that neighbor should be spending time behind bars AND have his firearms confiscated. SB's wife had every reason to be yellin' at the idiot neighbor..
+1, that neighbor is lucky he got off so easily.
Originally Posted by smokepole
+1, that neighbor is lucky he got off so easily.

the fact that he IS getting "off so easy",
....... well, the reasoning behind that poor choice of action will continue to elude me.
GTC

You need to at least press some kind of charge in order to get it on the record. The cops can only establish a pattern of behavior if they have a paper trail.

Your "neighbor" will only escalate, as all bullies do. They only stop for awhile when put on notice.

If your son had a legal right to hunt where he was with that equipment, then your neighbor has no say in the matter.
Sounds like you may be the root of your problem.
Originally Posted by mark shubert

Maybe you should - cross is very good people!

Mark

I dunno' about 'Good people", Mark,.......

I DO know that I spent yesterday helping a new neighbor get his front gate started,.. Iron not quite as substantial as mine, but CLOSE. He and his adolescent son helped,....digging out a length of casing, and a worn out Grader cutting edge, we laid em' out on the bay floor, and stitched em' together ( the plow bolt holes are PERFECT for orienting commercial gate hinge bolts ;)) We dug around in my boneyard, and came up with a couple of pretty fair gates, and I made him a square price on em'.

In reciprocity the Father Son team helped me with some bull work and fencing / trellising I'm doing. We had a clinic on post holing this tough, baked High Alkali soil with a preliminary Water pick pattern, a shallow sump, and than some Sulphuric acid,.........and touched down on a myriad of minor "preparing a fenceline, never sweat" details, as well.

An "Old Fart" neighbor, long time Compadre, from a mile or two off dropped off a big Diesel powered Roto Tiller,......I CANNOT rope start the damn thing, but the stout young kid CAN (just),.....so there we were,....coupla Old Farts, a Middle aged Dad, and his Son,.....hanging out and getting some quality garage / gear head time,.......

When the afternoon started to wind down, the kid went and got his Dad and I some cold beer, and we kicked back discussing muzzle control and ALWAYS checking the breech of an arm when handed one,......The kid was all ears, and got to handle some nice old guns,.........one, an '03 Springfield Sporter that he does not know his Dad's buying for him as his deer hunting tool.

......there's neighbors, and than there's neighbors, I guess.

I'd say that attaching a "Smiley" to an OP that one had just put up about a bully firing a CF at one's SON, and generally just azzing around as to HANDLING that situation will remain a distant source of amazement, and a somewhat perplexing FOREIGN affair. I WILL be praying and invocating that we hear of no more of this kinda' shooting.

GTC

I would start hosting a 'turkey shoot' in my backyard to escalate things.

Give the proceeds to volunteer firefighters hall or FOP.
© 24hourcampfire