Home
I’m overrun with squirrels. No birdfeeder is safe from their destructiveness. Squirrel barriers are useless as they simply jump from nearby trees.

What pellet rifle do you recommend? I don’t think I want a 1000fps pellet rifle because of the potential for ricochets. Don't want to go to the scuba shop every time I get low on gas either, so I'm looking for a break-barrel or lever type action. Accuracy is mandatory. Quiet would be good but this is not imperative.

Thx
How far you lookin to shoot em ? If you can keep it within 20 yards a simple Daisy 880 will do the job. I have an old 881 {same as 880 but with silver receiver} from the 70's that has killed a truckload of squrrels off my bird feeders. I have a bunch of other air rifles but my 881 when pumped to full power is MUCH quieter than any of my break barrels or other pumpers.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
How far you lookin to shoot em ? If you can keep it within 20 yards a simple Daisy 880 will do the job. I have an old 881 {same as 880 but with silver receiver} from the 70's that has killed a truckload of squrrels off my bird feeders.

More like 50' max.
My Sheridan .20 cal isIt is accurate enough with iron sights to kill 'em at 30 yards. It's 50 years old or so and has killed beaucoup squirrels, bunnies and a few chucks and raccoons. One pump will kill head shot squirrels, 3 pumps will kill 'em all.
I'll need a scope, my eyes aren't what they used to be. Cataract surgery is scheduled for Tuesday.
PM ole sharp things.
Mass murderer of bushy tails.
This pretty much meets what you describe.

Last you a long time, too.

https://www.crosman.com/airguns/air-rifles/benjamin-392
I've got an old Sheridan that you pump up. Serious squirrel gun.
.22 rifle with mustard shot works well.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
.22 rifle with mustard shot works well.

Seriously? Clean kills?
I have problems with magpies and robins eating my peaches, blackberries, etc. My distances are a little longer, so I have an RWS M48. It has a lever on the side and shoots a pellet around 1000 fps. Kills magpies 50 yards out if I can hit them. With soft lead pellets, ricochets are not a problem. I've destroyed three scopes so far, all air gun rated. My next "pellet rifle" will be a new barrel for my 10-22 a silencer ...
Originally Posted by TwoEyedJack
I have problems with magpies and robins eating my peaches, blackberries, etc. My distances are a little longer, so I have an RWS M48. It has a lever on the side and shoots a pellet around 1000 fps. Kills magpies 50 yards out if I can hit them. With soft lead pellets, ricochets are not a problem. I've destroyed three scopes so far, all air gun rated. My next "pellet rifle" will be a new barrel for my 10-22 a silencer ...

I'm sitting on READY for the "Ear Protection Act"!!!!! Bye bye $200 registration! Gawd, I hate politicians...
No air gun expert here but 3 years ago I got my first... A .22 cal. Benjamin Trail with the Nitro Piston 2 system (break barrel). Seems awful quiet to me but some guys tell me there's others that are even quieter. My maximun range on squirrels is maybe 20 yards but it works for what I need it for. Even squirrel hunted with it just for grins. Chronographed it and getting 736-832 fps velocity depending on pellet weight. I was told .22 for fur, .17 for feathers which influenced me to .22 but it seems that I could have done much the same with a .177 but like I said; I'm still a relative newbie on air guns although I've been impressed by some of the other Crosman stuff, also.
Crossman has been in biz forever! Any RWS aficionados on here?
Originally Posted by 22250rem
No air gun expert here but 3 years ago I got my first... A .22 cal. Benjamin Trail with the Nitro Piston 2 system (break barrel). Seems awful quiet to me but some guys tell me there's others that are even quieter. My maximun range on squirrels is maybe 20 yards but it works for what I need it for. Even squirrel hunted with it just for grins. Chronographed it and getting 736-832 fps velocity depending on pellet weight. I was told .22 for fur, .17 for feathers which influenced me to .22 but it seems that I could have done much the same with a .177 but like I said; I'm still a relative newbie on air guns although I've been impressed by some of the other Crosman stuff, also.

Just googled this one. Looks like a space gun. Is that a silencer or barrel weight?

Crossman has been in biz forever! Any RWS aficionados on here? The RWS Diana Model 24 looks cool and would fit my 11yo grandson.
Last month up in New York I bought a top of the line ($240) .22 Gamo for a nephew to hone his shooting skills. Worked fine with iron sights, came with a probably idiotic variable 9x scope.

The barrel-cocking effort on these things is considerable, the specs said 41lbs, felt like it too.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Last month up in New York I bought a top of the line ($240) .22 Gamo for a nephew to hone his shooting skills. Worked fine with iron sights, came with a probably idiotic variable 9x scope.

The barrel-cocking effort on these things is considerable, the specs said 41lbs, felt like it too.

After a few recommendations for a specific that fits the bill, I'm going to scour around for a decent used one.

Looking around on pellet gun forums, the break barrels are referred to as "Springers". Kewl.
Just an FYI. I have a Benjamin 392 and have had a couple Sheridans. All were alot louder than my Daisy 881 and NONE are/were as accurate. I also have a BSA Meteor, which is only a low-mid power gun for a springer and it too is alot louder than the 881 and no more accurate. I don't know if the new plastic receivered, Chinese made 880's are as good as the old metal receiver USA made guns but I have my doubts. There are good used old school metal receiver 880's on gunbroker all the time for under 75.00 from Dennis Baker that have been newly resealed and that's what I'd get if going that route.
If finding a squirrel-proof birdfeeder is the most important thing then here it is . . . I have several in my yard and have used them for years. 100% squirrel-proof.

If shooting squirrels is the motive, plenty of pellet guns out there. No need to use one excuse to justify the other IMO.
Just an FYI. I have a Benjamin 392 and have had a couple Sheridans. All were alot louder than my Daisy 881 and NONE are/were as accurate. I also have a BSA Meteor, which is only a low-mid power gun for a springer and it too is alot louder than the 881 and no more accurate. I don't know if the new plastic receivered, Chinese made 880's are as good as the old metal receiver USA made guns but I have my doubts. There are good used old school metal receiver 880's on gunbroker all the time for under 75.00 from Dennis Baker that have been newly resealed and that's what I'd get if going that route.

What a great lead! Dennis Baker looks like a "One stop shop!!! I'm liking the crap out of this one:

[Linked Image]
OMG, I had one of these when I was a kid! I'd completely forgotten this until seeing it on the Dennis Baker's website. I'm wondering to myself if this is why I'm so prejudiced toward pump shotguns???

[Linked Image]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEW9TG6Dcgg
The old Blue/silver streaks were top shelf when I was a kid.

I use a little Stevens Favorite shooting CB Shorts. About like a pellet rifle. Maybe a bit more than most, but quite and accurate.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I use a little Stevens Favorite shooting CB Shorts. About like a pellet rifle. Maybe a bit more than most, but quite and accurate.

That's a great alternative! Thx. I'd forgotten about CB Caps too. Chit I'm getting old!

Some capitalist ought to consider coming out with a .17 cal CB Cap!! Create a whole new firearm market!!!
Originally Posted by DMc

What a great lead! Dennis Baker looks like a "One stop shop!!! I'm liking the crap out of this one:

[Linked Image]
I have one of those too. Excellent gun and very accurate. Plenty for backyard squirrels although again, quite a bit louder than the 881 if that's of much concern.
http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spring-piston/weihrauch-hw95/
Originally Posted by DMc

That's a great alternative! Thx. I'd forgotten about CB Caps too. Chit I'm getting old!

Some capitalist ought to consider coming out with a .17 cal CB Cap!! Create a whole new firearm market!!!

The box lists them as 29 grain and 710fps. Have checked them across the chronograph, but they pack plenty of wallop for tree rats. They’ll penetrate a 2x4 at close range.

Go big! They're dangerous game.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/AirForce_TexanSS_Big_Bore_Air_Rifle/4317

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by shoot4fun

Hilarious!!! And the sound effects are spot on!
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Had a service issue with my Airforce airgun. They're made right here in Fort Worth. Those ppl are azzholes and completely swore them off. Re-filling those bottles is a PIA.
Go big or stay on the porch.:)
Gun Digest just had an article about these.
The Author took one bear hunting.

https://www.umarexusa.com/blogs/airgun-news/the-new-50-caliber-umarex-hammer-is-an-air-rifle
I've never been much into fhuqking around,so simply do not. Easily one of THE most FUN rifles ever fhuqking built,is a Feinwerkbau 300S side cocking Springer. 'Twas a time,they were THE Holy Fhuqking Grail of Accuracy and still to this very day,they remain a marvel. The ergo's are fantastic,the trigger is beyond superb and while their Iron Sights are rather good...they are easily scoped to boot. Furthermore,one can easily extrapolate Velocity/BC and flight characteristics,to more mainstay centerfire offerings and cross reference those findings,while really stretching the platform out.

Peter Hathaway Capstick coined it "Mini Sniping",which is a fair label IMHO. An article of that billing,was in G&A on October of '84.

Mini Sniping RINK

Anywhoo...once such excellence is experienced,everything else wanes miserably in comparison. I'll take mine with an RWS 27MOA integral ring mount and a 10x Fixed Fhuqker,fed with JSB Exacts. Hint.

[Linked Image]

It prolly don't suck,that they share some High Zoot Annie 54 Virtue(s). Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Capstick never really did get much right,but at 30yds in the backyard in nice conditions,a FWB 300S will certainly connect fhuqking dots.

[Linked Image]

HW 97's in .22 are fun too,but fhuqking lightyears wayyyyyyyyyy shy of a 300's Splendor.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You've been led to water.

Thank me later.

Hint.
Originally Posted by 35

https://www.umarexusa.com/blogs/airgun-news/the-new-50-caliber-umarex-hammer-is-an-air-rifle

That oughta work well on squirrels in city limits... wink
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
This pretty much meets what you describe.

Last you a long time, too.

https://www.crosman.com/airguns/air-rifles/benjamin-392

That is probably the modern equivalent of the Benjamin 312's my brother and I got about 50 years ago. They are both still working and knocking tree rats off the feeder. Nailed one this morning. I did have to put a new seal in the pump on one about ten years ago. Five pumps for full power. They make kind of a loud snap when you shoot, but if you keep the barrel inside the door, even the next door neighbor won't hear it.

Jerry
Originally Posted by DMc

This is a good design because it will still allow a small amount of seed to fall to the ground for the doves and squirrels.
Yep at less than 20yds. Squirrels here typically run up the big crepe myrtles. Easy pickings.
Boxer, what does one of those cost?
Boxer, what does one of those cost?

+2 ?
"What pellet rifle do you recommend? I don’t think I want a 1000fps pellet rifle because of the potential for ricochets."

I don't know much about pellet guns but I've had a cheap BEEMAN .17 caliber for a long time that is very accurate and shoots a little less than 1000fps. So far I had any ricochets because I haven't missed with it. I sighted it in at 30 ft. with a bunch of different pellets and the GAMO Hunter 8.4 gr. all lead pellets were by far the most accurate. I did have to replace the original scope because it wouldn't hold zero. I gave my Son a Crossman .22 caliber for his eighth birthday years ago and he was a deadly shot with open sights, he's still got it.
$1235 back in 1999

http://www.airguns.net/reviews_fwb300s.php
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Yikes! "Contaminated water Boxer"
I've got a NIB Beeman Silver Kodiack X-2 I'll let go for $75......grin
I shoot a Beeman R9 and R7 with Hawke scopes. These are break action spring guns made by Weirauch and they have nice triggers. Plenty accurate and the R9 has enough power for squirrels. I use a .177 for target shooting but for hunting squirrels a .22 would be better. Spend a few more bucks and get a quality air rifle. They're great for indoor practice when you can't get to the range.
Originally Posted by 35

Nope. I spent time in the back of a cruiser thinking the same thing. They are considered a "firearm" and I nearly lost mine, along with a fine. After 2 hours and being able to make the officers laugh, I was cut loose with a warning.
I’ve killed thousands upon thousands of birds, squirrels and small game with my old 760 or 880. Today there are some crazy good options in very accurate break barrel pellet guns. The Gamo Whisper is a great option. My son had a Ruger 1000fps pellet gun and with the scope he was knocking down starlings at 100yards plus with regularity. We’re not urban so he always had the option of using the .22 or shotgun but he loved his pellet guns. For less than $200 you will be setup ready to kill squirrels.
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by 35

Nope. I spent time in the back of a cruiser thinking the same thing. They are considered a "firearm" and I nearly lost mine, along with a fine. After 2 hours and being able to make the officers laugh, I was cut loose with a warning.
WTF, was your sligshot broke down ? Out of hex nuts at the hardware store ?
Originally Posted by DMc

News flash! The .17 BB cap was invented many years back and they are available here in the US. INTERNATIONAL SHOOING SPORTS has them. I have a couple thou, they whack squill just dandy. I also have a mould for a conical bullet.

.22 BB caps work as well. Fair warning, they foul the bore a bit. DON'T put off cleaning the barrel.
I wore out a Gamo .177 that was supposed to shoot 1000 fps , maybe it did for a couple of years . Then moved to a Benjamin Trail nitro piston .22 . Im very happy with the Benjamin with scope for less than $200 on sale from Pyramyd air . Added a scope that suited me a little better than the original .

I would take reasonable caution regarding ricochets but to me the difference in .177 and .22 is that the .22 pellets carry energy much farther .
Originally Posted by 35

WTF, was your sligshot broke down ? Out of hex nuts at the hardware store ?

Nope. But that is why I use the slingshot In city now. (It is under the FPS limit).
For mother's day, it is traditional for us to give my wife two rose bushes she doesn't already have. This time it was Princess diana Rose's, which smell like licorice. They weren't planted even an hour when a squirrel tried to dig it up. I shot it with the crossman 760.
Half an hour later I had Columbus police at my front door, claiming I had discharged a firearm in city limits. I told them I had done no such thing, it was just a bb gun. They said it was the same thing, and I said bullshit! It ain't even close to the same thing. They said they had an ordinance that said it was, and there was a large fine. I said prove it, I don't think this rule even exists. They could not find the ordinance #, and I refused the ticket. They called the dispatch, who said sure it's a rule, but they couldn't find it either. I demanded a supervisor and this went on for about 2 hours. All the while in the back of the cruiser, lights going.
I asked if they would be giving me any grief about the weapon choice if it were a home invasion? They said no. Of course not, as long as it was an appropriate type of weapon, legal to use. And the creative juices started to flow.....
"Officers, are you aware that it was the fleas carried by rats and squirrels that carried the the plague that wiped out a third of Europe? I had the bb gun with me as a form of persuasion to get the squirrel to leave peacefully, but the little bastard charged me! And besides the claws and teeth, there is always those damn fleas to consider. Well, I used the minimum force required to stop the attack, and it just happened to be fatal. It was just the one shot, but it was a heart shot, and did the job. Due to the fleas. I was in mortal fear for my life, and if you know anything about history, you know I was right."
Officer, you write it up, and I'll sign it, if you really want to waste all of our time."
When they both stopped laughing, they gave me back my air rifle. And told me to have a nice day, and not to do it again.
CCI, CB's from a longer rtifle barrel ( say a older 24" remington) are quiter than a pellet gun.
Don't buy Remington CB if very quiet is wanted,

Can anyone tell us the difference in a longer barrel CB sound level, and the newer pellet rifles made to be quiet such as the Gamo Whisper?
Well that was a darn good story kellory. Now I can understand why you use a slingshot. I'd get the hell out of that city though. Can't imagine living someplace where I couldn't even shoot a BB gun without trouble.
Well that was a darn good story kellory. Now I can understand why you use a slingshot. I'd get the hell out of that city though. Can't imagine living someplace where I couldn't even shoot a BB gun without trouble.

That's part of why I use it, but not all. I happen to like quite a few more primitive skills. It makes sense when doing a deer drive, to tag small game kicked up quietly, instead of shooting it, because that would screw the drive for the other hunters as well. Many times, I have kicked up rabbits, squirrels or even turkeys while getting into shooter position for a deer drive. As long as it is in season, why give it a free pass? Kill it, and collect it on the way out. I started with a slingshot as a child shooting at targets. But never realized it's effectiveness until I tried to feed myself with one, as a test of primitive type weapons.
As for getting out of the city, it sounds good. But the fact is, my wife needs fast medical attention when she needs it. She has 2 life threatening conditions. Minutes matter. I'll stay where I'm at for now.

That's part of why I use it, but not all. I happen to like quite a few more primitive skills. It makes sense when doing a deer drive, to tag small game kicked up quietly, instead of shooting it, because that would screw the drive for the other hunters as well. Many times, I have kicked up rabbits, squirrels or even turkeys while getting into shooter position for a deer drive. As long as it is in season, why give it a free pass? Kill it, and collect it on the way out. I started with a slingshot as a child shooting at targets. But never realized it's effectiveness until I tried to feed myself with one, as a test of primitive type weapons.
Yeah I killed small game and birds with a slighshot when I was a kid but don't have any desire to use one anymore. I've got lots of rifles, shotguns and pellet guns for that now. I don't shoot small game while deer hunting either. I have plenty of time for that before and after deer season.
As for getting out of the city, it sounds good. But the fact is, my wife needs fast medical attention when she needs it. She has 2 life threatening conditions. Minutes matter. I'll stay where I'm at for now.
Sorry to hear that. I can certainly understand. You'd never make it to the hospital in time here.
One of the best deals going right now is a Diana model 52, side lever 22 for $300, you'll need a scope too. Lifetime warranty.

Link here for Airguns of Arizona.

You may want to post in the Airgun page, further down ,as well, Good hunting!
Originally Posted by Whiptail

[Linked Image]
DMc,

I have a new found love for certain air rifles since moving to South America.

However I HIGHLY recommend you do an online search for Aguila Colibri's before committing to air driven. They make zero noise and if you pair them up with a Savage Rascal (or similar) you will be mightily impressed.

Also, my brother lives in a non-suppressor friendly state so I told him to go with the bolt action, tube fed Marlin's and CCI Quiets. He could not be happier.

What do you think will happen if you convince everyone to move out of the city?
Thanks Trav

Lot's of options out there. The Fire is an amazing place.

[Linked Image]
I'm really liking the rat shot idea and am going to give it a pop.

No way I'm sending a 50 cal projectile off into the wild blue yonder in a suburban neighborhood. Phugh that.

But I'm definitely going to get a pellet rifle to have here for my Grandson.. I'm preparing my "Put your eye out" speech as of this writing...
Originally Posted by DMc

Better have tame squirrels, that you can walk right up to... wink
Originally Posted by DMc

What's the useful range? 20 feet? If so, I'm in biz.
I would not try rat shot.
Correction.

I WOULD try rat shot but I know it will end not well.
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by DMc

What's the useful range? 20 feet? If so, I'm in biz.

In my experience 22 rat shot works better out of a pistol than a rifle. The pattern is better anyway. A rifle barrel messes with things, unless it's a smoothbore.

I'm thinking 10 feet or less effective range.
LOL

I'm even thinking I might cut down a 410 shell and throw a roll crimp on it. A squib load..

[Linked Image]

Has anyone ever tried the 2 liter bottle over the muzzle trick? Or is that BS?
Naw.. Didn't have to think about that too long. 2 hours in back seat of a cruiser doesn't sound inviting.
Ratshot out of a rifle.

One end of my BB gun:

[Linked Image]

The other end:

[Linked Image]

The middle:

[Linked Image]

End of the day, 2 shots per target @ 50'

[Linked Image]

I misspoke earlier, it is International Shooting Service. http://www.iss-internationalshootersservice.com/pdf/4mmzimm.pdf
Dan,

Is that a Gamo?
I guarantee that rat shot will do nothing but piss those squirrels off. Squirrels might be pound for pound, the toughest critters out there.

Dig-it-All...Im gonna need a higher tang site if Im supposed to ride that like a bicycle with one cheek slapped over each side.
https://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?product=Whisper%20CFR&productID=388

I have one of these about 12 years old now - still shoots like a champ after thousands of pellets . Mine was called a CFX Royale I think - it has a wood stock .
The underlever is under the barrel and pulls straight down - the pellet loads right behind the rear sight .
Two of my friends bought the same gun after seeing mine shoot , pretty quiet - will truly stack pellets on top of each other - friends rifles do the same . They bought the package - scope included - I put a Leapers 4x bugbuster on mine .
Killed hundreds of ground squirrels with it when I lived in Idaho .
Most accurate gun I own & I have custom centerfires - 4 cz rimfires - crazy accurate in windless conditions .

Knocked a big crow out of the neighbors yard at 46 lased yards - they haven't spoke to me since - no loss - old hag and gay from seattle , wa.

Get a tin of RWS flat point match pellets all the of these rifles shot them into bugholes .
You have to learn how to shoot a Spring gun - lite buttery hold as they call it .
1000 fps rifles only shoot those FPS with 5-6gr. pellets move up to the heavy match RWS and you'll be around 775 fps - from what I've read on Pyramid air .
You might as well get a Benjamin Marauder - a quality pellet rifle will be your most used gun unless your wife threatens to divorce you if she sees you aiming it out the window again - lots of women out there though .
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/RWS_Supermag_177_Cal_9_3_Grains_Wadcutter_500ct/232

This pellet has won hundreds of competitions - and this design has the most ''tear'' = killing power . I've shot every type pellet hp/round nose/red plastic tip/ etc. nothing killed the truckloads of ground squirrels beter than these wadcutter supermags .
The only problem with getting a pellet rifle for squirrels is that soon after you get it, you'll start getting "problem" coons and opossums....like somebody told me in my "I NEED A NEW BOAT MOTOR" thread, cry once and get it over with....get you a .25 Marauder and a hand pump....quiet and thumps schitt like a .22 short....you can "tune" em pretty easy and Neil Claque used to offer an aftermarket shroud that works even better than the factory "air stripper"...
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
The only problem with getting a pellet rifle for squirrels is that soon after you get it, you'll start getting "problem" coons and opossums....like somebody told me in my "I NEED A NEW BOAT MOTOR" thread, cry once and get it over with....get you a .25 Marauder and a hand pump....quiet and thumps schitt like a .22 short....you can "tune" em pretty easy and Neil Claque used to offer an aftermarket shroud that works even better than the factory "air stripper"...

There ya go!

Killed countless vermin up to and including hogs with mine.

Loudest thing is the pellet hitting what you shoot at.

If you are in the city, rules of safety apply though. Not that they don't in the country, but it's quite a bit of gun for urban use.
Just googled this one. Looks like a space gun. Is that a silencer or barrel weight?............ DMc.... That's a silencer.... It's got baffles in it but I forgot if Crosman calls it a silencer or if they have another term for it. That gun was also my first experience shooting thumbhole stocks and I discovered that I like them. Came with a Center Point 3-9x scope that's still on there. The whole rig is 3 years old this month and has been problem free. Didn't get it from Dennis Baker but I hear that he's a good guy to do business with.
Moderator , dead air space moderator .
Originally Posted by deflave
Dan,

Is that a Gamo?

Definitely not a Daisy.....
Will pick up some Aguila Colibri fo sho.

Love the CCI short CB’s though.
Are those Aguilas the same ones that say " do not use in rifle, due to bullet may not exit the barrel"?
Will they even cycle in a semiautomatic rifle?
All I can say is that the nitro piston guns are a bit quieter than regular break barrels, 22s kill better sand are slower than 177s and at least for cheap break barrels sights are better because they mount to the barrel not the receiver and aren't subject to break joint variation from shot to shot
https://www.air-arms.co.uk/showroom_category/spring-guns
Originally Posted by WillARights

Dig-it-All...Im gonna need a higher tang site if Im supposed to ride that like a bicycle with one cheek slapped over each side.

Interesting piece it is. Sub caliber barrel insert that is roughly .175" in the groove. 8" long with a 1:7.5" twist.....12 grooves. laugh Fella named Paul Neubrand built it in Germany (see "middle" picture) prior to WW1 if my information is correct. Will, it's kind of like a pair of tight jeans....you have to put it on before you jerk the trigger (~3 oz when set).

Travis.......no. -laffin'-

So all that stuff is a little off topic, I know you won't find such contraptions in Wally World. I'm kind of like DMc on the shooting HV or even conicals at pests here in the 'hood, for the same reasons. I don't do it. That said, there are times when there is a good backer and a CB short (CCI!) can do the trick. I'm partial to having them on the side facing me of a big oak or pine and up close, say 20-30 yards max The .22 BB caps I've been using of late are rather stunningly expensive these days, something like 50 cents a crack. I've had these since the mid 1980's and mostly just want to use them up. Only 100 dead squill, 'dillos etc to go. If anyone made lead round balls of .220-.222" diameter I'd just load the .22 GTC with them and roll.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...om=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=117525

BB caps on the left, CB caps on the right:

[Linked Image]

There was mention earlier of the CCI Quiet and I'd consider that a crap shoot, pun intended. 20 yards out of a match barrel and this is the best group I've shot. All the other .22s (3) shoot magnificent patterns at that range, 6-8".

[Linked Image]

The CCI CB shorts from the Contender carbine w/match barrel are some serious squill medicine. It would be a rare air rifle as quiet as that rig. Killed 5 hogs with it one day without taking a step. Boar ~200#, Sow ~175# and 3 shoats of about 60#. No, they weren't in a trap. The 6th leetle piggy finally figured something was up and ran all the way home.

[Linked Image]
These are fun and effective. grin

[Linked Image]

GAMO Accu-22
Webley Hawk Mk III .177
Crosman Custom Shop 1300KT .177
Crosman P1322 .22
I bought one this spring to hunt woodchucks on long Island.....Put a decent scope on it and tried several different pellets /weights to get the best accuracy, The Marauder .25 is crazy accurate and chucks now fear me smile....Money well spent !!![I opted for the SCBA carbon fiber tank to 4500 PSI method of fill...the hand pump is quite the challenge.quote=Middlefork_Miner] The only problem with getting a pellet rifle for squirrels is that soon after you get it, you'll start getting "problem" coons and opossums....like somebody told me in my "I NEED A NEW BOAT MOTOR" thread, cry once and get it over with....get you a .25 Marauder and a hand pump....quiet and thumps schitt like a .22 short....you can "tune" em pretty easy and Neil Claque used to offer an aftermarket shroud that works even better than the factory "air stripper"... [/quote]
I could shoot a 50 in the middle of the night and not have visitors but the CB's and the CCI quiets get a lot of use here as well as a couple of 20 cal sheridans from the 60's
Originally Posted by 22250rem

I have the same one in .177. I was having a huge problem with squirrels raiding my fruit trees and probably killed about 200 of them over the course of 2 years. The .177 works fine on squirrels with the right pellets, and I was making kills out to 40 yards.

I live in a residential area about 40 miles from San Francisco, so I have to be pretty phuqin sneaky when I shoot around the house (I usually set up in a spare bedroom and shot at them as they would go in and out of their dens on the hill across from my house). The rifle isn't whisper quiet, but it was quiet enough that no neighbors ever heard enough to get curious. They did, however, wonder why there were so many dead squirrels.
I use an RWS Model 47 .177 air rifle for pests around my home. I live on a private golf course with fairly small yards so discretion is paramount. I shoot rabbits from the golf cart garage on the lower level using a sidewall for concealment. It works.
The only problem with getting a pellet rifle for squirrels is that soon after you get it, you'll start getting "problem" coons and opossums...

Excellent! Quench my blood-thirstiness...
Neil Claque used to offer an aftermarket shroud that works even better than the factory "air stripper"...

Awesome web page!
This has turned out to be a fun and informative thread!!
I shot hundreds of Starlings and quite a few squirrels with a Beeman R1 back in the 80s living in the suburbs, Beeman R1 in .177 and a good scope. Had a regular shooting range set up in the back yard.

Colibri is way more quieter.
And yes I love the CB's.
Originally Posted by PPosey
I shot hundreds of Starlings and quite a few squirrels with a Beeman R1 back in the 80s living in the suburbs, Beeman R1 in .177 and a good scope. Had a regular shooting range set up in the back yard.

Why'd you quit?
DMc,

I may have missed it being mentioned on here but rockinbar sold me a Maurauder pistol with buttstock and I HIGHLY recommend you take a gander at these also. Expensive but they are the real deal repeater capable and are easy to charge with a hand pump. Almost makes you like airguns.

My son loves his Gamo but it's kinda loud IMO. But it does roll iguanas dead as fugk. We got three more yesterday afternoon. It's a .17 cal.
Digital Dan
Is there any markings on the right side of the receiver.
I have a 22 with an action like that "HWZ 28" on the right side of the action..
Missing the tang sight, (bet it cost more than I would ever pay) has a rear sight with the square adjustment screw mounted along a dovetail rail and is removable where the dovetsil has been machined away.

Lucky or by design I can use it to mount a scope using 22 rings.

I have never tried good ammo, but she will do pretty decent at 50 yard with some SV ammo.
DMc,

I may have missed it being mentioned on here but rockinbar sold me a Maurauder pistol with buttstock and I HIGHLY recommend you take a gander at these also. Expensive but they are the real deal repeater capable and are easy to charge with a hand pump. Almost makes you like airguns.

My son loves his Gamo but it's kinda loud IMO. But it does roll iguanas dead as fugk. We got three more yesterday afternoon. It's a .17 cal.

How does that little drum clip work?
Engraving but no other marks. All script is on the barrel.
spent a summer shooting 13 stripe ground squirrels with Colibre on a big baseball field with an animal control officer, we were ordering 5K at a time and sweeping empties out of the truck at lunch
Originally Posted by blanket
spent a summer shooting 13 stripe ground squirrels with Colibre on a big baseball field with an animal control officer, we were ordering 5K at a time and sweeping empties out of the truck at lunch

One of the less lucky species of vermin...

LOL! Guessing that's true. LOLOL
Originally Posted by DMc

Try this video, I'm amazed that squirrel held on as long as it did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgDa_cpgHWs
If I were an "urbanite", which I have become due to local [bleep] lining their nest, I would suggest a Benji Marauder in 25 cal..

Multiple whacks and a 5 gallon of pure Pb and a mould, it's cousin Eddy's gift....

was a chitload of fun
I'm ordering one of those Yankee Flippers... Gotta be worth the money in Laff's alone.

11K views. Maybe I can get my money back by monetizing a youtube video.....
.25 Marauder will indeed whack em dead. But in an "urban" environment, you really are shooting the equivalent of a .22 CB round. The aerodynamics aren't as good, but still, maybe a bit much unless your backstop is literally bulletproof.

As Boxer/BigStick said, there is nothing like a FWB 300S. But you're trading power for pinpoint accuracy. I've heart shot squirrels with the .25 Marauder and they just fall out of the tree. Not as likely to happen with the target .177. Figure on head shots only. I've seen them from $3-400 right now, depending on condition.

I've got a .177 Marauder for avian pests, and it makes the .25 Marauder sound positively loud in comparison. And the .25 is anything but truly loud. Accuracy not quite like the 300S, but still quite good, and with heavier pellets, about double the energy.

But the .22 Marauder "pistol" might very well be the best of the lot. About the right amount of power, and in a nice compact package. Do a little hand pumping and get some exercise before you shoot. This is purely anecdotal on my part though. While I own the first three pellet rifles, I do not own the Marauder pistol.
Walmart had the .22 Benjamin's on clearance and I picked one up. Seems pretty good for $54
I just wanna kill a few grouse in front of my new-used, gun-shy dog. She will get it I think. Then we'll work up to .22, and 20 ga next year.

Now if the damn USPS will stop sending it back to Midway for "insufficient address" (same one I've had for 22 years), we are good to go - as long as it comes in tomorrow, as we are heading for the remote (buku grouse!) cabin on Tuesday.

Back up plan is to borrow a friend's Sheriden when we hit Fairbanks.

Honey Half-Lab is on her own if we see a bull moose.... or geese... smile
Casting 22 airguns sucks ass.

25's, no matter the output, gets you miles with a bucket of lead. At the furnace, checkbook or at impact....

Ever once in a while you can find a .22 smooth bore (no rifling) commonly called a Garden gun. It was made for .22shot shells for birds and snakes.

Ever once in a while you can find a .22 smooth bore (no rifling) commonly called a Garden gun. It was made for .22shot shells for birds and snakes.

Thanks. Didn't know that.
Originally Posted by DMc

No way I'm sending a 50 cal projectile off into the wild blue yonder in a suburban neighborhood. Phugh that.

But I'm definitely going to get a pellet rifle to have here for my Grandson.. I'm preparing my "Put your eye out" speech as of this writing...

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_RWS_54_Air_King/398
I have a Gamo Tac with the whisper barrel - pretty good. However, the rating is 1200 fps but that's with a very lightweight pellet that will get pushed from a mosquito flying around from the next block. The 10.5 grain pellet I use brings it down to just under 700 fps.

But most scopes that come with them are crap. For under $70 you can get a Hammers 3-9x40mm scope with an AO. The rings should have a base with a pin that gets trapped in the rail slot to keep it from moving. And you must use a scope that's a springer specific or the pounding will ruin a traditional scope. Good luck.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722313

https://youtu.be/oDQwMRz8ago

https://youtu.be/ho-YEToMo60
"I'll need a scope, my eyes aren't what they used to be. Cataract surgery is scheduled for Tuesday."

You'll not need the scope then. The sights on the venerable Daisy 880 are plenty good enough for squirrels.
And rats, and Cuban Frogs, and Coral Snakes and Cottonmouths. And anything else I take a disliking to
I was at deer lease in the late 70’s. A guy shot his wife in the ass with a pellet gun. She called him names I had never heard before. He was drunk of course.
Originally Posted by hanco
I was at deer lease in the late 70’s. A guy shot his wife in the ass with a pellet gun. She called him names I had never heard before. He was drunk of course.

Better than the "eye".
Originally Posted by DMc
I'm ordering one of those Yankee Flippers... Gotta be worth the money in Laff's alone.

11K views. Maybe I can get my money back by monetizing a youtube video.....

Good plan! Get them dizzy so they're slow and and easier to hit.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722313

https://youtu.be/oDQwMRz8ago

https://youtu.be/ho-YEToMo60

It's called sarcasm, kellory.
I assumed your word was good. Next time I'll know better.

Picked up and shot some Colibri. Silly quite.

3 things stood out right away.

1- Slow enough to see their flight.
2- Odd smell. Guessing there is no powder, just priming compound?
3- Velocity seemed inconsistent. Just judging from penetration in pine boards, so a swag on my part.

Not sure I’d shoot a coon with them, but they are great fun around the yard.
Lotsa info here: https://www.youtube.com/user/EdgunUSA
The cost of the"Better Ones" will make your eyes water.
I assumed your word was good. Next time I'll know better.

And I assumed you were a dude.

Picked up and shot some Colibri. Silly quite.

3 things stood out right away.

1- Slow enough to see their flight.
2- Odd smell. Guessing there is no powder, just priming compound?
3- Velocity seemed inconsistent. Just judging from penetration in pine boards, so a swag on my part.

Not sure I’d shoot a coon with them, but they are great fun around the yard.

Not sure what you tried them in, but be sure you don't use something longer than 16". You're actually not even supposed to use them in anything but handgun length barrels but I have never stuck one in a 16" barrel.

All Aguila stinks. I thinks it's the lube and not the powder/primer in them.

They kill stuff dead but I would never mess with them past 10yds-15yds. Think BB gun range.
Well, glad I didn’t stick one in the bore! Was shooting them in a little rifle. Barrel isn’t much over 16” though.

Will have to try them in the LCR.
Oh, you gonna love them in the LCR.

A PERFECT mate for them is like the Savage Rascals or Cubs.

If you have a 16" Marlin or Browning lever gun they shine there too.
Stevens Favorite! I love the little thing.
Oooooh, yeah. (Macho Man font.)

I killed piles of schit with one of those. But they tend to be longish in the barrel length. I'd guess that's why you were seeing them in flight. Diminishing returns and blah, blah, blah.
Basic Crosman .177 break action in 495 fps rating, $100 or less at Walmart. Plug the bleed hole in the piston with some JB weld and you’re in the 800 fps area. Drills through squirrels beautifully.
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by PPosey

Why'd you quit?

I moved to the sticks,,, still shoot alot, more actually
25 marauders with their GM barrels were marveled as above a 22 Crosman barrel by the diehard compressed guys. I had a .300 cal being built in Canada with a bottle adapter to a Marauder action, a custom barrel/ polished Leade, TKO (or Clague it was years ago), and a Suhl stock to fit it. While waiting on build, etc. I picked up a Evanix RS II with side toggle action and found a new world stepping into Euro Rifles. Sold the .300 (.30 cal barrel for .30 JSBs not .308 cal) I always wanted to try a P-Rod and have had eyes out for a Running Boar 300S. Now I see you can get import carbines/pistols in .357/9 and .30 along with .25/.22. Guy was running around Hawaii killing Goats and Pigs with his 22 RS Evanix and probably still is.
The TX 200 is another that looks good with a tune and not forced to be “harnessed”
After getting them sighted in, I turned the Grandkids loose with their new pellet rifles..

Lola with a Diana Model 24 Carbine .177 - Leupold "Shorty".

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Derris with a Swiss Arms TG-1 .177, which came with a 4 X 40 scope.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They both did phenomenal (X-ring) sitting backwards on a chair using a towel as a cushion.

Distance was 30'.

The dog was looking for squirrels .
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by hanco

Better than the "eye".

I "see" what you mean!

Hurts just thinking about it!
Originally Posted by gremcat
25 marauders with their GM barrels were marveled as above a 22 Crosman barrel by the diehard compressed guys. I had a .300 cal being built in Canada with a bottle adapter to a Marauder action, a custom barrel/ polished Leade, TKO (or Clague it was years ago), and a Suhl stock to fit it. While waiting on build, etc. I picked up a Evanix RS II with side toggle action and found a new world stepping into Euro Rifles. Sold the .300 (.30 cal barrel for .30 JSBs not .308 cal) I always wanted to try a P-Rod and have had eyes out for a Running Boar 300S. Now I see you can get import carbines/pistols in .357/9 and .30 along with .25/.22. Guy was running around Hawaii killing Goats and Pigs with his 22 RS Evanix and probably still is.

Ah! Another GTA forumite...
© 24hourcampfire