-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will pick up some Aguila Colibri fo sho.

Love the CCI short CB’s though.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are those Aguilas the same ones that say " do not use in rifle, due to bullet may not exit the barrel"?
Will they even cycle in a semiautomatic rifle?

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
All I can say is that the nitro piston guns are a bit quieter than regular break barrels, 22s kill better sand are slower than 177s and at least for cheap break barrels sights are better because they mount to the barrel not the receiver and aren't subject to break joint variation from shot to shot

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WillARights

Dig-it-All...Im gonna need a higher tang site if Im supposed to ride that like a bicycle with one cheek slapped over each side.

Interesting piece it is. Sub caliber barrel insert that is roughly .175" in the groove. 8" long with a 1:7.5" twist.....12 grooves. laugh Fella named Paul Neubrand built it in Germany (see "middle" picture) prior to WW1 if my information is correct. Will, it's kind of like a pair of tight jeans....you have to put it on before you jerk the trigger (~3 oz when set).

Travis.......no. -laffin'-

So all that stuff is a little off topic, I know you won't find such contraptions in Wally World. I'm kind of like DMc on the shooting HV or even conicals at pests here in the 'hood, for the same reasons. I don't do it. That said, there are times when there is a good backer and a CB short (CCI!) can do the trick. I'm partial to having them on the side facing me of a big oak or pine and up close, say 20-30 yards max The .22 BB caps I've been using of late are rather stunningly expensive these days, something like 50 cents a crack. I've had these since the mid 1980's and mostly just want to use them up. Only 100 dead squill, 'dillos etc to go. If anyone made lead round balls of .220-.222" diameter I'd just load the .22 GTC with them and roll.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...om=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=117525

BB caps on the left, CB caps on the right:

[Linked Image]

There was mention earlier of the CCI Quiet and I'd consider that a crap shoot, pun intended. 20 yards out of a match barrel and this is the best group I've shot. All the other .22s (3) shoot magnificent patterns at that range, 6-8".

[Linked Image]

The CCI CB shorts from the Contender carbine w/match barrel are some serious squill medicine. It would be a rare air rifle as quiet as that rig. Killed 5 hogs with it one day without taking a step. Boar ~200#, Sow ~175# and 3 shoats of about 60#. No, they weren't in a trap. The 6th leetle piggy finally figured something was up and ran all the way home.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
These are fun and effective. grin

[Linked Image]

GAMO Accu-22
Webley Hawk Mk III .177
Crosman Custom Shop 1300KT .177
Crosman P1322 .22

-=[Bob]=-
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought one this spring to hunt woodchucks on long Island.....Put a decent scope on it and tried several different pellets /weights to get the best accuracy, The Marauder .25 is crazy accurate and chucks now fear me smile....Money well spent !!![I opted for the SCBA carbon fiber tank to 4500 PSI method of fill...the hand pump is quite the challenge.quote=Middlefork_Miner] The only problem with getting a pellet rifle for squirrels is that soon after you get it, you'll start getting "problem" coons and opossums....like somebody told me in my "I NEED A NEW BOAT MOTOR" thread, cry once and get it over with....get you a .25 Marauder and a hand pump....quiet and thumps schitt like a .22 short....you can "tune" em pretty easy and Neil Claque used to offer an aftermarket shroud that works even better than the factory "air stripper"... [/quote]

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I could shoot a 50 in the middle of the night and not have visitors but the CB's and the CCI quiets get a lot of use here as well as a couple of 20 cal sheridans from the 60's

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 22250rem
No air gun expert here but 3 years ago I got my first... A .22 cal. Benjamin Trail with the Nitro Piston 2 system (break barrel). Seems awful quiet to me but some guys tell me there's others that are even quieter. My maximun range on squirrels is maybe 20 yards but it works for what I need it for. Even squirrel hunted with it just for grins. Chronographed it and getting 736-832 fps velocity depending on pellet weight. I was told .22 for fur, .17 for feathers which influenced me to .22 but it seems that I could have done much the same with a .177 but like I said; I'm still a relative newbie on air guns although I've been impressed by some of the other Crosman stuff, also.

I have the same one in .177. I was having a huge problem with squirrels raiding my fruit trees and probably killed about 200 of them over the course of 2 years. The .177 works fine on squirrels with the right pellets, and I was making kills out to 40 yards.

I live in a residential area about 40 miles from San Francisco, so I have to be pretty phuqin sneaky when I shoot around the house (I usually set up in a spare bedroom and shot at them as they would go in and out of their dens on the hill across from my house). The rifle isn't whisper quiet, but it was quiet enough that no neighbors ever heard enough to get curious. They did, however, wonder why there were so many dead squirrels.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I use an RWS Model 47 .177 air rifle for pests around my home. I live on a private golf course with fairly small yards so discretion is paramount. I shoot rabbits from the golf cart garage on the lower level using a sidewall for concealment. It works.

IC B3

DMc Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
The only problem with getting a pellet rifle for squirrels is that soon after you get it, you'll start getting "problem" coons and opossums...

Excellent! Quench my blood-thirstiness...

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
DMc Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Neil Claque used to offer an aftermarket shroud that works even better than the factory "air stripper"...

Awesome web page!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
DMc Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This has turned out to be a fun and informative thread!!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot hundreds of Starlings and quite a few squirrels with a Beeman R1 back in the 80s living in the suburbs, Beeman R1 in .177 and a good scope. Had a regular shooting range set up in the back yard.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Will pick up some Aguila Colibri fo sho.

Love the CCI short CB’s though.

Colibri is way more quieter.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
And yes I love the CB's.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
DMc Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PPosey
I shot hundreds of Starlings and quite a few squirrels with a Beeman R1 back in the 80s living in the suburbs, Beeman R1 in .177 and a good scope. Had a regular shooting range set up in the back yard.

Why'd you quit?

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
DMc,

I may have missed it being mentioned on here but rockinbar sold me a Maurauder pistol with buttstock and I HIGHLY recommend you take a gander at these also. Expensive but they are the real deal repeater capable and are easy to charge with a hand pump. Almost makes you like airguns.

My son loves his Gamo but it's kinda loud IMO. But it does roll iguanas dead as fugk. We got three more yesterday afternoon. It's a .17 cal.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Digital Dan
Is there any markings on the right side of the receiver.
I have a 22 with an action like that "HWZ 28" on the right side of the action..
Missing the tang sight, (bet it cost more than I would ever pay) has a rear sight with the square adjustment screw mounted along a dovetail rail and is removable where the dovetsil has been machined away.

Lucky or by design I can use it to mount a scope using 22 rings.

I have never tried good ammo, but she will do pretty decent at 50 yard with some SV ammo.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
DMc Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
DMc,

I may have missed it being mentioned on here but rockinbar sold me a Maurauder pistol with buttstock and I HIGHLY recommend you take a gander at these also. Expensive but they are the real deal repeater capable and are easy to charge with a hand pump. Almost makes you like airguns.

My son loves his Gamo but it's kinda loud IMO. But it does roll iguanas dead as fugk. We got three more yesterday afternoon. It's a .17 cal.

How does that little drum clip work?

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1234, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,524
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.