Home
Dollar General is on the move in rural areas. They have a high success rate at getting County Commissioners to rezone rural/agricultural areas for commercial use. We are fighting one right now. They seem to want a store about every five to seven miles. Disgusting places, they are.
We have one that filled in an empty building that began life as a grocery store. They are not always the most neatly laid out stores, but I find many a good buy in the food aisles.
Never been in one.

Sound interesting.
10% off storewide for vets on Veterans Day. grin
there is one within walking distance. and one about every three miles.
They are basically miniature Walmarts, they sell the same crap such as food, snacks, health and beauty aids, cleaning supplies, basic apparel, housewares and seasonal items.

Walmart hates them, they are taking a healthy chunk outta their business.

$25.6 billion in sales in fiscal 2018
15,472 retail locations as of March 1, 2019
Approximately 135,000 employees
Ranked #123 on the Fortune 500 list as of May 2018
DG has done that in middle Tn.

Stores in the middle of nowhere and it appeals to my need. I hate going all the way 20 miles into our little pissant town of 150,000 people.

I have 3 DG stores all about 6-7 miles from me. 12 pack of cold Natty Light is never more than 5 mins away.

I interviewed with them about 8 years ago as a geographical marketing analyst. More traveling than I wanted to do.

Captain of the high school cheerleading squad now is a cashier at one those local stores. She was gonna be somebody back in the day.
Now she looks like Learherface from Texas chainsaw massacre. Covered in tatts, smokers deep raspy voice.

I chuckle when I go thru the checkout.
I have nothing against getting a store where rural people can shop without driving 40 miles round trip. Around here they are a great thing in some rural counties. They aren't like a Walmart that puts everybody else out of business. In fact this OP is the first ever compliant I've heard about Dollar General.
Got one close by.
Need to go there tomorrow to get papertowels.
Got a gun stock that needs painted.
Proly grab a 2 liter of pop too.

Time it right and you can get a parade of white trash.

Most of the time it's 75 yr old ladies.
Buicks pack the little lot (park away from them if ya can).
In our closest small town there is a DG, another about 7 miles away and then one other about 7 miles beyond that one. All were built in built up area and most replaced a decrepit building. They go where people are and are very handy for people that don't want to or can't afford to drive the 25 miles to the "big town" of 20,000.
I like having a Dollar General close by, Fugg Walmart.
We cannot seem to locate a store in that area,,,

Is what I get when I googled em, but we ain't short on dollar stores, town of 7K or so we have two dollar joints
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Comon dude Walmart rocks smile
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Dollar General is on the move in rural areas. They have a high success rate at getting County Commissioners to rezone rural/agricultural areas for commercial use. We are fighting one right now. They seem to want a store about every five to seven miles. Disgusting places, they are.

I hear ya.....capitalism and free enterprise suck.
Who owns dollar general?
They supply the ten reading glasses that abound the house, garage and vehicles.
There are too damn many of them.

With small town and neighborhood mom and pop grocery stores and general stores pretty much a thing of the past Dollar General saw a need and filled it. Over the counter medicines, personal hygiene products, engine oil, batteries, fresh eggs, milk,butter, bread, light bulbs, snacks, frozen or canned and dry foods, laundry and cleaning supplies, socks, T-shirts, underwear? They have it in name brand and/or their store brands. Most Saturdays they have a coupon special of $5 off of total $25 spent.

Originally Posted by EdM

Ha! At $8 a pair reading glasses is one thing DG ain’t good at.

Stop by Home Depot and pick up their $5 ones, all in a manly black plastic, they last longer’n any of the other cheap glasses too.
They've popped up like mushrooms after a rain here in NE AL. Rural but heavily populated area. They do A LOT of business and don't mind starting a new one just a few miles down the road from another.
They built one out in the middle of nowhere here.

About halfway to town from where I live. Never stopped there. Never will.

Every time I drive by it, the parking lot is full of trash... Not the kind that blows around in the wind... the other kind. The kind that loads 12 people into a $300 car and takes everyone shopping at Dollar General. whistle
Fugk me.

We boycottin' this too?

Who's our scribe? He need to write this schit down.

We have one that is almost ready to open. I am glad to see it in our small one red light town that has only one grocery store. It will keep my 84 year old mom from driving to the nearest Wal- Mart.
Disgusting places, they are.

What's disgusting about them?
They are here to, and I don't particularly mind them. There is one about 5 miles from me, and it has saved us a number of trips to places further on down the road. I had a great uncle who was very good about investing, and owned a lot of stocks. DG was his favorite stock, and he had many shares of it, and was always trying to get me to buy some. I never did, as I was always looking for something more glamorous, but it is a stock that has always performed very well.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Disgusting places, they are.

What's disgusting about them?

Here, it's the people that frequent them.

Been years since I was in a Dollar Store of any type.

They do have their redeeming qualities though...

They are the only place you can buy your 2 year old a cheap Chinese toy that is mislabeled, painted with lead paint, and has parts the child can choke on... All that for 99 cents! smile
I've never seen a DG in so. Idaho. We're flooded with Family Dollars and a few Dollar Trees.
Like just about any other store in the world, location matters.

If you live in a schithole it will be a schithole. If you live in an affluent area they'll be well kept and have better schit.

I will advise not to go there the day before New Year's unless you want to witness two DG employees explain to a mother of seven-hundred-and-twelve the difference between helium and oxygen.

You'll be standing there for a while.
We have plenty of them!!!
Why hate em. We have 2 . They sell cotton twine to tie roasts and chickens with. Wmart doesn't. They also sell readers and Sunglasses cheaper than Wmart. I'll admit their checkers do look rode hard and put up wet. Not people I would trust with my cash register.
I have no problem with the stores. This country has bigger troubles than Dollar General.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I have no problem with the stores. This country has bigger troubles than Dollar General.

No problem with them either.

If I don't shop there, there's plenty that do. At least it's not a government bread line.

Dollar stores keep those that shop there out of the other places as well... smile
We seem to have one on every other corner in here in N. AL. They are actually pretty low profile, and they take some of the armed stickup pressure off the corner gas station/convenience stores.
I don't see the problem with the DG model, except they do probably over-saturate the market a bit. We spend a lot of time up in Emily, Mn. and there's one small grocery store in town that's very high priced. The local DG gives a viable option with more variety, but I'm guessin the local hardware store isn't too crazy about their neighbor down the street.
They'd all be sucking wind if govt EBT and WIC were to suddenly end...
I've heard you don't have to dress up to go to DG like you do for Wal-Mart.
Originally Posted by 700LH

Comon dude Walmart rocks smile

A Walmart comparison is a real stretch. I do despise Walmart after working with them for years as a supplier, but Walmart and Dollar General are apples and grapefruit. Love or hate Walmart, they work and although they have become the standard in the retail industry, I believe they leave a lot to be desired for a store and try to avoid them. Dollar General, however, is a place that you had better check the dates on any perishable product you buy there, because their volume is so low, products do go out of date. I don't know what keeps their doors open, it sure isn't the amount of business they do...
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I don't know what keeps their doors open, it sure isn't the amount of business they do...

They did over 25 billion in sales last year, maybe you have some inside info we don't know about?

[Linked Image]
Dollar general has the penny shopping if you really want to shop cheap, all you gotta do is decode what is just a penny.
https://www.howtoshopforfree.net/the-secrets-to-penny-shopping-at-dollar-general/
Ronnie
They seem to pack the stores with all the schit outta busted Chinese shipping containers.
Love me some DG.
Originally Posted by JeffA
I don't know what keeps their doors open, it sure isn't the amount of business they do...

They did over 25 billion in sales last year, maybe you have some inside info we don't know about?

[Linked Image]

Yes, my inside information is due to being inside the store and pulling outdated products that didn't sell. They never have any cars in the parking lot either...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by EdM

Ha! At $8 a pair reading glasses is one thing DG ain’t good at.

Stop by Home Depot and pick up their $5 ones, all in a manly black plastic, they last longer’n any of the other cheap glasses too.

Fuggg that...... Dollar Tree, a buck a pair. I have them laying all over the place.

Yes, my inside information is due to being inside the store and pulling outdated products that didn't sell. They never have any cars in the parking lot either...

Maybe it was just your location...
They got Zig Zags and EZwiders.
They are keeping business local in our small rural towns. The wimminz run 40+ miles to the walmart for who knows what twice a week and get everything while at the large town. DG fills a void in the small towns and gives no reason to travel further. We just recently got one in our "no stop light town" and it is helping most of the other businesses by keeping people here. Add to that employees, taxes etc that are staying local.
I wish they'd sell ammo, just the basics, 22LR, shotgun etc etc.
I’ve never be a fan of these type of stores. Occasionally they have good prices, but IMO.....they prey upon older folks and the less educated. You have to read the labels carefully, often products are of less quality or a diluted version of a name brand item! memtb
Everything in the store is less quality. That’s why it’s Dollar General. It ain’t 10 Dollar General.
Their business model works - I think they were near the top of the heap in sales growth and margins lately. I'm also glad as hell they've been able to profitably reach out to underserved areas. It would have been cool if Mom 'n Pop places could still have made a go of it, rather than a corporate place.

Still, I dunno know what it says about the true health of the economy when a discount store is the biggest draw around. It's like our local grocery store owner said, "When Big Lots, Goodwill, and the Salvation Army have taken over the biggest store fronts in your town, that's not a good sign."

FC
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Everything in the store is less quality. That’s why it’s Dollar General. It ain’t 10 Dollar General.

Don't forget Five Below for the high rollers.

You western trash probably haven't seen those yet.
Originally Posted by deflave

We got one here a couple years back. 2/3 of the damned place was candy. I have no idea how they're still in bidness.

FC
Small locally owned grocery in the closest town to hunting camp, went to a chain operation a few years ago. No one around there likes it much now, as they have a limited choice in too many things, far too much of their own brand of chit that is pretty awful. Next closest grocery is almost 20 miles away.

Town has had a DG for a long time and put up an entirely new store two years ago, to replace the original one. Bigger, lots more stuff. Now most go down there for national brand frozen foods, as an example, instead of the grocery. Same brand of bread I get, is a dollar a loaf cheaper at the DG, than the puke grocery. Comes off the same truck when it passes thru town. Most days there are more vehicles at the DG, than at the grocery.

They serve a purpose in many of the small PA towns I pass through. We have a Dollar Tree near where I live, worst chithole I've ever been in and it doesn't have a fraction of the stuff DG has..
There are three in this county and one Walmart. One of them is almost in the Walmart parking lot. They are very convenient even if their stock is limited. You can park right next to the door and get in and out a whole helluva lot quicker than Walmart where there are about twenty handicapped spots near the door, unused, and the rest of the lot full of pogues wandering aimlessly in the store...consuming. We would have one down in the little town 4 miles distant, but the stupid mother farkers in the town elected some even more stupid mother farkers to their town council who, in their wisdom, decided to not allow Dollar General to come in because it might hurt the business of this tiny grocery store that carries almost nothing and everything it does carry is out-of-date.
DG has taken the place of the old country stores. I'm not sure why anyone would be upset about getting one in their community. They are economical and convenient. The Dollar General Markets are actually pretty decent grocery stores.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
DG has taken the place of the old country stores. I'm not sure why anyone would be upset about getting one in their community. They are economical and convenient. The Dollar General Markets are actually pretty decent grocery stores.
Agreed.
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

We got one here a couple years back. 2/3 of the damned place was candy. I have no idea how they're still in bidness.

FC

I’ll keep an eye out for the diabeetus discount store.
Originally Posted by memtb
I’ve never be a fan of these type of stores. Occasionally they have good prices, but IMO.....they prey upon older folks and the less educated. You have to read the labels carefully, often products are of less quality or a diluted version of a name brand item! memtb

From reading the comments I think some posters are generalizing, all Dollar stores are not created equally.
DG has deep pockets and doubtfully are risking selling out dated product. They sell their own label product and major name brand.

It might surprise some to find there are no DG in most of the NW yet many here from the NW have gained a opinion, maybe their travels or were they once lived or maybe just confusion as to what store is actually being discussed here.

[Linked Image]
No thanks.
Originally Posted by memtb

From reading the comments I think some posters are generalizing, all Dollar stores are not created equally.
DG has deep pockets and doubtfully are risking selling out dated product. They sell their own label product and major name brand.

It might surprise some to find there are no DG in most of the NW yet many here from the NW have gained a opinion, maybe their travels or were they once lived or maybe just confusion as to what store is actually being discussed here.

Maybe not.

Maybe some Dollar General's are better than others.

Lots of "dollar stores" are going out of business too. Here, small towns are the target. There are 2-3 in every town big enough to have a stop light.
They are building one on pasture land about a mile from my house, don't think anyone is too happy about it.
Originally Posted by gregintenn

.......+1...... That's why I refer to 'em as 21st century general stores. They found a marketing niche, or vacuum in the market, and filled it. Couple different ones around here that I go to depending on which direction I'm going. Prices are great and I sometimes pick up a loaf of a brand name potato bread for a buck less than the same item at the supermarket. Never been in one that was dirty or somehow unappealing. The business model is straight out of Marketing 101....... Provide stuff folks want, at a good price, where they can get to you easily, and you'll do business.
Originally Posted by Woodhits
They are building one on pasture land about a mile from my house, don't think anyone is too happy about it.

Exactly what they did here. Cut about 2 acres out of a pasture and built the store. Nothing else around for a good distance.
WE’RE #1!!!! WE’RE#1!!!!!

1409 stores!!!!!
We have one of the Dollar General Markets in a former Kroger.
2 miles from my house, next nearest grocer is 7-8 miles and 29 stoplights out......
If I need 3-4 things[groceries].
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Maybe some Dollar General's are better than others.

Lots of "dollar stores" are going out of business too. Here, small towns are the target. There are 2-3 in every town big enough to have a stop light.

I'm sure they don't fly every where. I'm in a area that is speckled with small rural communities. It seems there is a DG every couple miles or so. I have only been in a couple of the stores a couple of times. I noted nothing negative but my stops were short, never walked through a entire store.

I've been impressed with their rapid growth and the fact they get by with a minimal structure, a slab and a standard metal building that goes up in weeks and ka-boom, they are open for business.

Smart guys in my book.... Stock market says the same....
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

1409 stores!!!!!

Wonder if that has anything to do with the number of wetbacks? whistle

grin

I don't know about the Dollar General stores in your area but those around here stock many nationally recognized name brand products side by side with their store brand generic equivalent.
Walmart went after them and failed.

I get a chuckle outta this...

Originally Posted by http://fortune.com
Express stores might have been a flop for Walmart, but Dollar General isn’t complaining.

Dollar General announced today that is has purchased 41 former Walmart Express locations across 11 states, relocating 40 existing Dollar General stores into the newly purchased sites by October. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

To take back shoppers it has lost to Dollar General, and Dollar Tree in recent years, the retail giant opened up between 270 and 300 new small stores in 2014—which included 102 Walmart Express stores—spending an extra $600 million at the time to do so. The express stores were aimed at getting mid-week business from customers who were not willing to go to a giant storefront for a few items.

In January, Walmart announced it was ending its Walmart Express experiment, which accounted for 102 out of 154 total store-closings.

“Dollar General is excited to add these locations to our existing store base. We look forward to the opportunity to better serve our customers in these communities by continuing to provide the convenience and value they expect from Dollar General,” said Todd Vasos, Dollar General’s chief executive officer.

According to Dollar General, the newly-relocated stores will have a new format that features a layout with additional sales floor square feet, as well as expanded offerings such as fresh meat and produce. The company also intends to operate the fueling stations in 37 of these locations.
I don't get it.
We used to have a dime store in town, that had been here for as long as I can remember. If you needed something you could go done there and be relative sure you could get it. They closed about ten years ago go. We got a dollar general 3 years ago. It's not mom and pop owned , but off you need something they have it. So what's the big deal!

1409 stores!!!!!

grin

You can't say wetbacks! There beaners
I hate them gawtdamn ChiCom bastards! Go get those Chinese bastards President Trump!!!

MAGA!

Oh, honey look! A Dollar General......lets stop and pick up an absolute load of crap!
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I hate them gawtdamn ChiCom bastards! Go get those Chinese bastards President Trump!!!

MAGA!

Oh, honey look! A Dollar General......lets stop and pick up an absolute load of crap!

Just like Cabela’s!!!!!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Dollar General is not a dollar store, but I know the name confuses mouth breathers.
Dollar General is not a dollar store, but I know the name confuses mouth breathers.

BS it's not.

It's a dollar store.

Not everything in all dollar stores are a dollar anymore.

Just like everything in yesteryear's dime store wasn't a dime.

Look for yourself. https://aboutus.dollargeneral.com/our-history/

BS it's not.

It's a dollar store.

You ever stepped foot in a Dollar General?
Its funny how some of these "discount" stores end up being the least economical choice sometimes.

Kind of like the Kirkland coffee we get from Amazon.

The cans we get are all beat to schit.

We are paying Amazon and Costco to [bleep] their "seconds" to us at full price.

What the fugg??

Oh, well....save money live better and all that.....
They popped up like prom dresses around here the last two years. I avoid them mostly because they seem to attract meth addicts. Or maybe southern Oregon attracts meth addicts and they congregate there. Anyhow, the bench outside seems to always have some down and outer glued to it, pullin hard on a Marlboro and wearing a pink tutu.
You'll know that inflation is out of control when $10,000 General Store's start appearing across America.

BS it's not.

It's a dollar store.

I have. They are a fuggin' dollar store.

Some may be better than others in certain areas, but don't piss down our necks and tell us it's raining.

https://aboutus.dollargeneral.com/our-history/

Don’t go in them if they are disgusting.
I’ve seen them, never been in one, only cause I never had the need.
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

FC

Not here. They got everything. Phone chargers, protectors, books, toys, gifts, beach stuff and all kinds of schit.

And candy.
That was one thing we noticed last winter as we drove around throughout the US; Dollar General stores everywhere. Seemed like every crossroads has one. GD
Our Shopko is closing maybe we can get one here. It sounds just like they sell the same thing as Shopko but are more successful at it.
Can't ever have enough Mattress stores and Dollar Generals
They're popping up everywhere around here. I've got one six miles from my house and it's saved me a lot of driving over the several years it's been there. I can drive six miles and get a loaf of bread or I can drive 30 to a wal-mart and get the same loaf. At the wal-mart I get to walk 300 yds through the store fighting meth heads and other assorted trash for my loaf of bread, at the DG I can walk 50' and fight fewer meth heads. I could also drive 30 miles and go to the hoity toity grocery & pay twice as much for the same loaf of bread, but I'd get to stare at the butt of some narcissistic rich housewife while she goes on her daily "look at me!" tour of the local upscale stores.

I'll stick with the DG, I get in and out quick without getting ripped off on the price. That's 99.9% of what I care about.
They built one out in the middle of nowhere here.

About halfway to town from where I live. Never stopped there. Never will.

Every time I drive by it, the parking lot is full of trash... Not the kind that blows around in the wind... the other kind. The kind that loads 12 people into a $300 car and takes everyone shopping at Dollar General. whistle

I don't call if the Squalor General for nothing.
It might not be the cheapest option though.

1409 stores!!!!!

grin

Barry!!!

They just opened one in of all places, Webberville!!! They ain’t had a store like that there since the Tonkawas cooked a Comanche captive in Puss Webber’s washpot!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
It might not be the cheapest option though.

DG almost never is the absolute cheapest. They carefully price their stuff just a little higher than Wal-mart, just enough to make it not worth the drive to get to a cheaper place. They're not ridiculously high though.

Here we have a grocery chain called Winn-Dixie. You can walk into one of them and a can of beans will be twice the price of the exact same thing at the Wal-mart two blocks away. I don't know how they stay in business.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
There are three in this county and one Walmart. One of them is almost in the Walmart parking lot. They are very convenient even if their stock is limited. You can park right next to the door and get in and out a whole helluva lot quicker than Walmart where there are about twenty handicapped spots near the door, unused, and the rest of the lot full of pogues wandering aimlessly in the store...consuming. We would have one down in the little town 4 miles distant, but the stupid mother farkers in the town elected some even more stupid mother farkers to their town council who, in their wisdom, decided to not allow Dollar General to come in because it might hurt the business of this tiny grocery store that carries almost nothing and everything it does carry is out-of-date.

Around here I am pretty sure that the handicap parking spots at Wal-Mart must be leases out as long-term parking; they are always full.

BS it's not.

It's a dollar store.

I have. They are a fuggin' dollar store.

Some may be better than others in certain areas, but don't piss down our necks and tell us it's raining.

https://aboutus.dollargeneral.com/our-history/

Lol, okay, if you say so.
They are basically miniature Walmarts, they sell the same crap such as food, snacks, health and beauty aids, cleaning supplies, basic apparel, housewares and seasonal items.

Walmart was the disrupter, wiping out numerous local mom and pop retail outlets.

Now Walmart has become the disruptee, being disrupted by Amazon, Dollar General, et. al.

Such is capitalism, survival of the fittest. Customers the winners (generally, not always)

DF
Already here - opened up about 3 years ago.. Busy too...
Who here is against free enterprise? Sounds like a lot of folks.
Haha! Free eh?

You are joking right? You must be.

Tax breaks and zoning bribes.....yep. Pretty free....

Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Around here I am pretty sure that the handicap parking spots at Wal-Mart must be leases out as long-term parking; they are always full.

Day before last I parked next to a older, kind of rough looking GM car with handicap license plate, temporary spare on left rear and a light bar on roof, parked in a designated handicap only spot at a local Dollar General store. As I walked past it I could see it had the full firefighter turnout gear laying in the back seat. I had to wonder how someone that qualified for handicapped license plates could be capable of working fires even on a volunteer fire dept.
Could possibly be that the handicap sticker was for the wife of the driver. We have a sticker for my wife, for whom walking is difficult.
Haha! Free eh?

Do they sell college admissions?
But the Clover Valley chocolate syrup tastes better than the other brands. whistle
They treat their employees like dirt. They will sue your county council if denied. I won't shop in one again.

Every day is dollar day at the Dollar General store! More power to’em.

Could possibly be that the handicap sticker was for the wife of the driver. We have a sticker for my wife, for whom walking is difficult.

The driver was a Caucasian man. I saw him inside the store. Ball park guess, mid to late 40s, 6'+, 200 - 240lbs. He was alone inside the store and in the car, too.. Ky issues special handicap license plates. Even if that was their only vehicle and the handicap plate was for health issues of wife, mother, sibling, etc., and not him,
it wouldn't allow him to park in a handicap only parking spot when alone.

Originally Posted by 700LH
Haha! Free eh?

Do they sell college admissions?

No, thats Costco you are thinking of.

Its generally next to the imported prime beef.
Originally Posted by joken2

The driver was a Caucasian man. I saw him inside the store. Ball park guess, mid to late 40s, 6'+, 200 - 240lbs. He was alone inside the store and in the car, too.. Ky issues special handicap license plates. Even if that was their only vehicle and the handicap plate was for health issues of wife, mother, sibling, etc., and not him,
it wouldn't allow him to park in a handicap only parking spot when alone.

Got it. I don't abuse the wife's sticker when alone. Sometimes I will drop her off at a store while I go run other errands, then when I return, I will park in a handicap spot so that she doesn't have so far to walk when we come out of the store. I pointed out this scenario because I imagine people sometimes see me exit the vehicle looking like I don't qualify to park there.
"How do I get to the Dollar General?" Just go past the Family Dollar, about 150 yards.

"Which direction?" Any direction.
We had three corporate small discount stores opening in this area at the same time a few years ago : Family Dollar, Bill’s Family Dollar, and Dollar General. They had an even start and went head to head in some small towns of 4-5k population. Dollar General sores thrived and the others mostly failed. Dollar General then built new buildings and left the leased storefronts where they started...just as their competitors started.

A couple years ago, Shopko built big new stores in two of these nearby towns, one right next door to the new Dollar General. Both lasted less than a year before closing their doors while the Dollar General sores are still going great.

Here, where County Seat towns are 30-40 miles apart and many don’t have a Walmart, the Dollar General stores fill a real need. Their paper products, even name brand toilet paper, are cheaper than Walmart, so Peg buys ours there.
They are constantly giving five dollar coupons for your next visit. How many stores do that?
Originally Posted by JP_Lucas
They are constantly giving five dollar coupons for your next visit. How many stores do that?

And you can repeatedly use those coupons on the same visit. My wife had $100 worth of stuff the other day at checkout. She would have them ring up $25 worth, pay for it, then ring up another $25 worth. It took a little longer, but she got $20 knocked off the total.
The grumpies can diss and bitch all they want.

Truth is, they have gallons of milk same price as walmart or kroger. They have beer, ice cream, some frozen foods, a lots of canned goods.

If youre hangin out at the house and discover youre out of Pace picante sauce or need ketchup, can of wasp spray, pack of hot dogs, bag of charcoal, some snacks for kids field trip they are fuggin GREAT.

Jesus christ,,,, no one said you had to buy goddamm shoes and school clothes there.

I don't get the hate
We have three Dollar Generals within 5 miles, along with a Family Dollar or two, and just down the road a bit further, a Dollar Tree. Lotsa "Dollar" stores around here in rural Kentucky. They do a booming business, by the looks of their parking lots, which seem to be full all the time.
When one is accustomed to gracious living, it is difficult to relate to the hoi polloi.
Tell me a dollar store where you can buy beer, wine, Charmin, and a gallon of milk? If they had a pharmacy, they'd give Walgreens a run for their money.
Tell me a dollar store where you can buy beer, wine, Charmin, and a gallon of milk? If they had a pharmacy, they'd give Walgreens a run for their money.

Dollar General.

It's generally a dollar store. They got some other schit though.
When one is accustomed to gracious living, it is difficult to relate to the hoi polloi.

Right?

So youre too good to shop at Dollar General?

I don't live 2 miles from the hospital and 1 mile from the Publix like most condo schmucks.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Right?

So youre too good to shop at Dollar General?

I don't live 2 miles from the hospital and 1 mile from the Publix like most condo schmucks.

I shop there all the time - I was jabbing those who are too good to shop there. (We so badly need a sarcsm icon.)
My bad

Thought you were all turdlike on me.

Yes, we need a sarcasm font.
Originally Posted by Redneck
Already here - opened up about 3 years ago.. Busy too...

Sort of a cross between a Walmart and a 7-11.

The business model seems to be more franchise than company stores like Walmart.

My neighbor is a general contractor. He builds them, sells them to investor groups. He was planning to build a group to keep, but ends up selling them.

Guess it's too easy to turn them over than to keep them for the long haul.

DF
The grumpies can diss and bitch all they want.

Truth is, they have gallons of milk same price as walmart or kroger. They have beer, ice cream, some frozen foods, a lots of canned goods.

If youre hangin out at the house and discover youre out of Pace picante sauce or need ketchup, can of wasp spray, pack of hot dogs, bag of charcoal, some snacks for kids field trip they are fuggin GREAT.

Jesus christ,,,, no one said you had to buy goddamm shoes and school clothes there.

I don't get the hate
Total agreement. Need some AA or AAA batteries-covered. Ice-there you go. Prices all may not be as good as Walmart, but they are more convenient. There are a couple of big DG's around here that carry about as much stuff as the old pre-Supercenter Walmarts did. At some point though, I reckon you start going backwards on things. Overall, I like them a lot.

Dollar Tree bought Family Dollar and in the process of closing upwards of 400 of the Family Dollar stores and converting a couple hundred more over to strictly Dollar Trees.

Dollar Tree to Close or Rebrand Up to 600 Family Dollar Stores
small business annihilators
i have a college buddy who just retired as a top level exec for them. think walmart start-up. they are on track to become serious competition for wmt . we have 3 or 4 about 25 minutes from the farm. wife visits them weekly. i have no problem with honest competition, in any arena.
Originally Posted by hotsoup
i have a college buddy who just retired as a top level exec for them. think walmart start-up. they are on track to become serious competition for wmt . we have 3 or 4 about 25 minutes from the farm. wife visits them weekly. i have no problem with honest competition, in any arena.

Disruptor today, distuptee tomorrow...

Just business cycles.

Amazon and its like have done damage to brick and morter businesses. I'm sure it's helped FedEx and UPS stock...

At least theoretcially the consumer is the long term winner. Sometimes I wonder about that, though.

DF
Originally Posted by cas6969
"How do I get to the Dollar General?" Just go past the Family Dollar, about 150 yards.

"Which direction?" Any direction.

Haha!

Must be Texas.

How many Dollar Generals does you car get per gallon?
Why lower yourself to shop at Dollar General when you always go to Wal Mart??
Even tho it's further away--
We have a Dollar General Market here in our little burg. Not crazy about their food offerings. However, appreciate that they offer a little competition to keep the only other private grocery store in town from price gouging...

50 miles round trip to Wally World in three different directions... I'm glad to have the DGM...

Haha!

Must be Texas.

How many Dollar Generals does you car get per gallon?

Laugh now, a few short years ago there were none in North Dakota, their coming your way.

Blaine County won't be without a DG much longer..

You too will soon become a Dollar General shopper................ No one is safe......

They must not sell teeth..for a penny.....

I suspect that Slumlord is actually a top executive at DG....
Is a 50 mile round trip a big deal in Kentucky??
Originally Posted by akasparky

Laugh now, a few short years ago there were none in North Dakota, their coming your way.

Blaine County won't be without a DG much longer..

You too will soon become a Dollar General shopper................ No one is safe......

I wonder.

I dont know if they would come slumming this low.....
Good place to buy Super Glue and cheater reading glasses.

Dollar General is employing the concept Wal-Mart did when it got started. Small stores, smaller towns and deeply discounted items that people buy most frequently.

Captain of the high school cheerleading squad now is a cashier at one those local stores. She was gonna be somebody back in the day.
Now she looks like Learherface from Texas chainsaw massacre. Covered in tatts, smokers deep raspy voice.

Translation: "I was smitten with her beauty and charm but when I finally got up the courage and asked her out on a date she rolled her eyes, laughed hysterically with her cheerleader friends and then had her jock boyfriend and two of his buddies hang me from a fence by my Underoos...The memory still hurts. Bad."

wink
Is a 50 mile round trip a big deal in Kentucky??

"Big deal?" No... Just 60 to 70 minutes (RT) out of my day that I would prefer to spend otherwise. Versus 8 miles/10 minutes RT on decent road to DGM...

Have averaged 100 miles, 2+ hours, per day RT for work for past 26 years. My tolerance for idiots on the roadways is wearing thin. Anything I can do to reduce wind shield time is good.
Interesting.

My buddy is in Norfolk.

60 miles is an all day deal for him.
I like the DG.

I’m in rural MS. Walmart’s is 30 mins away. Dg is 6.

Not the best selection. But if you need mayo, charcoal and deodorant from 7am til 10pm they got it.
Gawtdamnit!

Who needs charcoal and deodorant at 2200?

Why cant you people plan schit?
Never know when you Out of deodorant til the little piece falls on the floor.
Gawtdamnit!

Why cant you people plan schit?

Some of us are just so rogue that living spontaneous, impulsive lives seems normal.

I mean, if I need a Häagen-Dazs fix and it's 2155, I'm going for it...
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

Translation: "I was smitten with her beauty and charm but when I finally got up the courage and asked her out on a date she rolled her eyes, laughed hysterically with her cheerleader friends and then had her jock boyfriend and two of his buddies hang me from a fence by my Underoos...The memory still hurts. Bad."

wink

Wrong, keep trying. I was already dating a much smarter and better looking young woman.

Don't project the years of rejection you endured upon me with a snarky barb. Too bad you had to finally settle for the prune faced mole you're anchored to now. How much did it cost for you to adopt her anyway? wink

laugh laugh laugh
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

wink

grin

Wrong, keep trying. I was already dating a much smarter and better looking young woman.

Don't project the years of rejection you endured upon me with a snarky barb. Too bad you had to finally settle for the prune faced mole you're anchored to now. How much did it cost for you to adopt her anyway? wink

Ha ha! You're really cute when you get upset! Your type is so predictable. Full of piss and vinegar and absolutely delights in incessantly bashing others but when a softball of a jab comes your way, it's balled fists and gritted teeth and potshots at wives time. Classy all around!
comments about DG similar to my experience.

I have one walking distance from my home with a now closed soon to be Dollar Tree, Family Dollar on the other side of the intersection.

I go there maybe once every 2 months. Every time I go there is usually 5 - 7 people in the store. If they had a larger crowd, I'd go somewhere else, so I think their model is really open a store where you can get in and get out

I have family in very rural Alabama and its DG there at every major crossroads. And its a huge timesaver from having to drive into town an additional 17 miles

The Dollar General Markets often have pretty sizable crowds of customers especially evenings and weekends. Along with everything else that regular DG stores have the DG Market stores stock a variety of fresh fruit, vegetables and meats but their meat does not look to be butchered and packaged on site.
© 24hourcampfire