Love me some DG.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I don't know what keeps their doors open, it sure isn't the amount of business they do...

They did over 25 billion in sales last year, maybe you have some inside info we don't know about?

[Linked Image]

Yes, my inside information is due to being inside the store and pulling outdated products that didn't sell. They never have any cars in the parking lot either...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by EdM
They supply the ten reading glasses that abound the house, garage and vehicles.

Ha! At $8 a pair reading glasses is one thing DG ain’t good at.

Stop by Home Depot and pick up their $5 ones, all in a manly black plastic, they last longer’n any of the other cheap glasses too.

Fuggg that...... Dollar Tree, a buck a pair. I have them laying all over the place.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know what keeps their doors open, it sure isn't the amount of business they do...

They did over 25 billion in sales last year, maybe you have some inside info we don't know about?

Yes, my inside information is due to being inside the store and pulling outdated products that didn't sell. They never have any cars in the parking lot either...

Maybe it was just your location...

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
They got Zig Zags and EZwiders.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are keeping business local in our small rural towns. The wimminz run 40+ miles to the walmart for who knows what twice a week and get everything while at the large town. DG fills a void in the small towns and gives no reason to travel further. We just recently got one in our "no stop light town" and it is helping most of the other businesses by keeping people here. Add to that employees, taxes etc that are staying local.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I wish they'd sell ammo, just the basics, 22LR, shotgun etc etc.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’ve never be a fan of these type of stores. Occasionally they have good prices, but IMO.....they prey upon older folks and the less educated. You have to read the labels carefully, often products are of less quality or a diluted version of a name brand item! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everything in the store is less quality. That’s why it’s Dollar General. It ain’t 10 Dollar General.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Their business model works - I think they were near the top of the heap in sales growth and margins lately. I'm also glad as hell they've been able to profitably reach out to underserved areas. It would have been cool if Mom 'n Pop places could still have made a go of it, rather than a corporate place.

Still, I dunno know what it says about the true health of the economy when a discount store is the biggest draw around. It's like our local grocery store owner said, "When Big Lots, Goodwill, and the Salvation Army have taken over the biggest store fronts in your town, that's not a good sign."

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Everything in the store is less quality. That’s why it’s Dollar General. It ain’t 10 Dollar General.

Don't forget Five Below for the high rollers.

You western trash probably haven't seen those yet.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by deflave

We got one here a couple years back. 2/3 of the damned place was candy. I have no idea how they're still in bidness.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Small locally owned grocery in the closest town to hunting camp, went to a chain operation a few years ago. No one around there likes it much now, as they have a limited choice in too many things, far too much of their own brand of chit that is pretty awful. Next closest grocery is almost 20 miles away.

Town has had a DG for a long time and put up an entirely new store two years ago, to replace the original one. Bigger, lots more stuff. Now most go down there for national brand frozen foods, as an example, instead of the grocery. Same brand of bread I get, is a dollar a loaf cheaper at the DG, than the puke grocery. Comes off the same truck when it passes thru town. Most days there are more vehicles at the DG, than at the grocery.

They serve a purpose in many of the small PA towns I pass through. We have a Dollar Tree near where I live, worst chithole I've ever been in and it doesn't have a fraction of the stuff DG has..

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are three in this county and one Walmart. One of them is almost in the Walmart parking lot. They are very convenient even if their stock is limited. You can park right next to the door and get in and out a whole helluva lot quicker than Walmart where there are about twenty handicapped spots near the door, unused, and the rest of the lot full of pogues wandering aimlessly in the store...consuming. We would have one down in the little town 4 miles distant, but the stupid mother farkers in the town elected some even more stupid mother farkers to their town council who, in their wisdom, decided to not allow Dollar General to come in because it might hurt the business of this tiny grocery store that carries almost nothing and everything it does carry is out-of-date.

Last edited by EthanEdwards; 04/11/19. Reason: Edited again to beat the mother farking censor
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
DG has taken the place of the old country stores. I'm not sure why anyone would be upset about getting one in their community. They are economical and convenient. The Dollar General Markets are actually pretty decent grocery stores.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gregintenn
DG has taken the place of the old country stores. I'm not sure why anyone would be upset about getting one in their community. They are economical and convenient. The Dollar General Markets are actually pretty decent grocery stores.
Agreed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by deflave

We got one here a couple years back. 2/3 of the damned place was candy. I have no idea how they're still in bidness.

FC

I’ll keep an eye out for the diabeetus discount store.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by memtb
I’ve never be a fan of these type of stores. Occasionally they have good prices, but IMO.....they prey upon older folks and the less educated. You have to read the labels carefully, often products are of less quality or a diluted version of a name brand item! memtb

From reading the comments I think some posters are generalizing, all Dollar stores are not created equally.
DG has deep pockets and doubtfully are risking selling out dated product. They sell their own label product and major name brand.

It might surprise some to find there are no DG in most of the NW yet many here from the NW have gained a opinion, maybe their travels or were they once lived or maybe just confusion as to what store is actually being discussed here.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
No thanks.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by memtb

From reading the comments I think some posters are generalizing, all Dollar stores are not created equally.
DG has deep pockets and doubtfully are risking selling out dated product. They sell their own label product and major name brand.

It might surprise some to find there are no DG in most of the NW yet many here from the NW have gained a opinion, maybe their travels or were they once lived or maybe just confusion as to what store is actually being discussed here.

Maybe not.

Maybe some Dollar General's are better than others.

Lots of "dollar stores" are going out of business too. Here, small towns are the target. There are 2-3 in every town big enough to have a stop light.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (06hunter59, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 22kHornet, 64 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,382
Posts18,527,587
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.