Home
Don't do this.

Sometimes old people think they know who they are talking to...
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Sometimes old people think they know who they are talking to...

How would you know?

You're still young.
Happens all the time when my wife goes out with the kids
Yep, huge problem. Sometimes it even causes the kids to look up from their I-phones.
It’s weird.

Lonely old harmless guy or predator?
Originally Posted by MadMooner
It’s weird.

I don't know. But when you tell them to fugk off they sure get butt hurt.

I've been doing it for almost 18 years now. Had to do it again yesterday.

I don't understand why anyone would try and speak to some kid they don't know.
I love kids. And kids seem to love me; I'm a kid magnet. I've had kids being held by their mom reach their arms out to me at first sight. It's wonderful, but a little bit worrisome, too. I always say to the little bunchkin, "It's okay with me because your Mom is here. And I'm a Grampa." Occasionally, I'll touch hands, but that's all. And I ALWAYS look Mom or Dad in the eye to make sure they're okay with it. The slightest bit of unease, and I step right away.

Inside, I'd love to hug the little squeezle but I know that's no longer possible in today's world. Damn shame.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Yep, huge problem. Sometimes it even causes the kids to look up from their I-phones.

LOL!

I saw a woman with a kid in a stroller. She was looking at her smart phone. He was also looking at his smart phone. Couldn't have been over a year old!

He looked really busy, so I did not talk to him.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I love kids. And kids seem to love me; I'm a kid magnet. I've had kids being held by their mom reach their arms out to me at first sight. It's wonderful, but a little bit worrisome, too. I always say to the little bunchkin, "It's okay with me because your Mom is here. And I'm a Grampa." Occasionally, I'll hold hands, but that's all. And I ALWAYS look Mom or Dad in the eye to make sure they're okay with it. The slightest bit of unease, and I step right away.

Inside, I'd love to hug the little squeezle but I know that's no longer possible in today's world. Damn shame.

Well that's really stupid of the mom and dad to allow that in my opinion.
Originally Posted by deflave
It’s weird.

Was candy offered? Clown suit? Panel Van near? Azz kickoff time! Old people can smell strange too. 😎

Because they're old-timers and when they came up/where they came up, it was not considered a problem.

And people didn't tell them to fugg off.
Happens a lot with my 2 year old, but it's almost always very old women. I think it makes their day.
I believe the children are our future.

LOL........funny but not really.
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
Happens a lot with my 2 year old, but it's almost always very old women. I think it makes their day.

Can't allow that, you need to tell them to fugg the fugg off.
Ahhh, it’s the hermit life for me!!

I think it was the late, great, uncle Shel Silverstein that wrote,

"Do I love children? Yes I do! Baked, broiled, or in a stew!"

( Read that in Playboy. uncle Shel’s nursery rhymes. Like 1965).
I do it all the time, can't see the harm in it if you make sure the parents are right there..what is the big problem?
I usually give them a gentle ribbing, and the parents usually laugh along.

Because they're old-timers and when they came up/where they came up, it was not considered a problem.

Reminds me of Shotgun Joe Biden's excuse for putting his dick beaters all over little girls.

"I'm just an old man from a time when this was ok."

Yeah, right.
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I do it all the time, can't see the harm in it if you make sure the parents are right there..what is the big problem?

Those parents are retards.

Stop doing that.
I have enough grandkids for me. I really do not like other peoples kids. They can be annoying as hell. Because usually their parents are annoying as hell!
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33

Can't allow that, you need to tell them to fugg the fugg off.

Yep.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I have enough grandkids for me. I really do not like other peoples kids. They can be annoying as hell. Because usually their parents are annoying as hell!

^^^Normal response.^^^
I'd talk to them if they would stop crying and running.
Perfect teachable moments. All my kids are grown now but when I go out with the Grandson he is a big flirt with his curly locks and big smile that most women teens through Grandma cant help themselves. Lots of the hes so adorable etc.. comments.

Fortunately when the friendly grandpa dudes make eye contact with me they just avert and move along which is tough because the kid is always smiling and waving to everyone especially the ladies.

I don't allow physical contact when Im in charge from anyone but his Grandmother and Aunties have a hard time keeping the other ladies off of him.

And I never interact with other kids other than to shoot the parents a nod of understanding or disapproval if the brats are acting up.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I love kids. And kids seem to love me; I'm a kid magnet. I've had kids being held by their mom reach their arms out to me at first sight. It's wonderful, but a little bit worrisome, too. I always say to the little bunchkin, "It's okay with me because your Mom is here. And I'm a Grampa." Occasionally, I'll touch hands, but that's all. And I ALWAYS look Mom or Dad in the eye to make sure they're okay with it. The slightest bit of unease, and I step right away.

So THAT explains your demeanor toward me years ago when you fitted the ear plugs on me in Scotty's place!

kidding

Those parents are retards.

Stop doing that.

What is it you are afraid of?

Are you thinking everyone who does so us hitting on your wife via children, that everyone who does so is a predator?

Do you let your kids out on Halloween?
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Perfect teachable moments. All my kids are grown now but when I go out with the Grandson he is a big flirt with his curly locks and big smile that most women teens through Grandma cant help themselves. Lots of the hes so adorable etc.. comments.

Fortunately when the friendly grandpa dudes make eye contact with me they just avert and move along which is tough because the kid is always smiling and waving to everyone especially the ladies.

I don't allow physical contact when Im in charge from anyone but his Grandmother and Aunties have a hard time keeping the other ladies off of him.

I don't allow physical or verbal.

"We teach our daughter not to talk to strangers" is usually enough.

But every now and then you gotta look one in the eye and tell them to fugk off before they'll walk away.

But every now and then you gotta look one in the eye and tell them to fugk off before they'll walk away.

That is paranoid, do you really think there is no difference between kids talking to strangers when alone, or when mom and dad are right there?

Not a damn thing wrong with that in my book. Anyone who doesn't respect those boundaries should be lookin for some hurt

That is paranoid, do you really think there is no difference between kids talking to strangers when alone, or when mom and dad are right there?

Its not paranoia, its creating boundaries and expecting other people to honor them and if they don't then they get the hammer so to speak.

What is it you are afraid of?

Are you thinking everyone who does so us hitting on your wife via children, that everyone who does so is a predator?

"Don't talk to strangers" means just that.

If I let them interact because I'm there I'd be trying to teach one thing via words and teaching the exact opposite via example.

Reminds me of Shotgun Joe Biden's excuse for putting his dick beaters all over little girls.

Yeah, right.

You remind me of the feminists that get their panties in a wad when some old-timer accidentally calls them "honey."

An undeveloped mind will not discern.

You're teaching them to interact with strangers.

So, stop talking to little kids you don't know.
Just the other day there was a little girl there with dad, she had lost her grip on her helium balloon, the string was just out of here reach from the ceiling,
I walked by, grabbed the string and said "oh here's my balloon" and took about three steps. .I turned around and she said, "hey, that is my balloon"
I said "are you sure cuz it looks just like one I lost a couple of days ago".
She got a confused look on her face and her father laughed. I gave the balloon back, we went along our separate ways. No big deal

You remind me of the feminists that get their panties in a wad when some old-timer accidentally calls them "honey."

You're not the first one to be butt hurt over it.

That's why I posted the PSA.

An undeveloped mind will not discern.

You're teaching them to interact with strangers.

So, stop talking to little kids you don't know.

If you can teach a kid not to talk to strangers, then you can teach a child the difference in doing so with or without a parent near by. Until they can do so, they should not ever be alone.
Just the other day there was a little girl there with dad, she had lost her grip on her helium balloon, the string was just out of here reach from the ceiling,
I walked by, grabbed the string and said "oh here's my balloon" and took about three steps. .I turned around and she said, "hey, that is my balloon"
I said "are you sure cuz it looks just like one I lost a couple of days ago".
She got a confused look on her face and her father laughed. I gave the balloon back, we went along our separate ways. No big deal

^^^Not normal.^^^

If you can teach a kid not to talk to strangers, then you can teach a child the difference in doing so with or without a parent near by.

Wrong.
I wear this when taking my grandkid out and that pretty much solves any issues especially when I crank my head around at you.

[Linked Image]

Its not paranoia, its creating boundaries and expecting other people to honor them and if they don't then they get the hammer so to speak.

Yes.
I wear this when taking my grandkid out and that pretty much solves any issues especially when I crank my head around at you.

[Linked Image]

LMFAO.

I'm not butt hurt about anything, sport because I don't talk to other people's kids. But I've known a few older folks, mostly like someone else said older ladies who did. Including my late mother-in-law who was one of the sweetest, gentlest people you could know.

And I don't care what she did, if you had told her to "fugg off" in my presence I wouldn't have been the one to be butt hurt.
Has its own je ne sais quoi .

If you can teach a kid not to talk to strangers, then you can teach a child the difference in doing so with or without a parent near by.

Wrong.

That is your opinion, my three daughters knew the difference between being with a parent and being alone, until they know the difference, they should never be alone.

I guess you wan't your kids growing up in total fear? I chose teaching my kids to be smart, if they are too young to be that, then they are too young to be alone.

Funny thing, I have interacted with kids a hundred times, never once have I sensed a parent angry or concerned.
Why would you want to? Heck, I can barely tolerate my own children and can't stand other peoples. crazy
More than ten times I have come across young cub scouts or girl scouts, with a parent, selling cookies out front of a store, I stop and talk with them a few minutes, tell them about when I was a cub scout..is that OK?
Well there are enough out there who are predators to scare the hell out of me.

Teachable moments:

Momma and I were in the local Walmart grabbing some groceries about fifteen years ago. We saw our oldest daughter with her two girls at the other end of the store, and headed that way to say hi and get some grandkid hugs from the three and 1 1/2 year old girls.

When we got to where the girls' grocery cart was, our daughter was about six feet away looking at items on the shelf. I lifted the eighteen month old toddler out of her seat in the grocery cart and stepped almost out of sight around the end of the isle

If the look of sheer terror on our daughters face when she finally looked back at her cart was any indication, she probably never turned her back on the girls again.

No, it was not funny. And I was not laughing. I only let her panic for 1/2 second or so before I stepped out with her daughter. But she understood, it could have been anybody.

I'm not butt hurt about anything, sport because I don't talk to other people's kids. But I've known a few older folks, mostly like someone else said older ladies who did. Including my late mother-in-law who was one of the sweetest, gentlest people you could know.

And I don't care what she did, if you had told her to "fugg off" in my presence I wouldn't have been the one to be butt hurt.

Yes. I'm sure you could kick my ass.

Awesome.
i See where Flave is coming from. Better to be safe than sorry these days. It’s a different world out there, half the country is medicated.

I taught my kids the same. I even taught my daughters to say “daddy has a 45”.
More than ten times I have come across young cub scouts or girl scouts, with a parent, selling cookies out front of a store, I stop and talk with them a few minutes, tell them about when I was a cub scout..is that OK?

Depends on their age and maturity of the kid.
Originally Posted by skeen
Why would you want to? Heck, I can barely tolerate my own children and can't stand other peoples. crazy

I like kids, teens not so much. I talk to my neighbor's kids, they don't seem to mind. Just the other say I paid the six your old girl next door $5 to load five palm branches into my truck...she was very proud of herself for earning that $5
Originally Posted by skeen

^^^Normal response.^^^

WRONG, it depends on their age or whether or not they are with a parent.
Can we get a PSA about old dudes talking next to you at the urinal?

That is your opinion, my three daughters knew the difference between being with a parent and being alone, until they know the difference, they should never be alone.

I guess you wan't your kids growing up in total fear? I chose teaching my kids to be smart, if they are too young to be that, then they are too young to be alone.

Funny thing, I have interacted with kids a hundred times, never once have I sensed a parent angry or concerned.

You're not the first to be butt hurt over it.

That's why I posted what I posted.

Originally Posted by widrahthaar
Can we get a PSA about old dudes talking next to you at the urinal?

They must like what they seein' peein'.
yesterday evening we had a family with 5 small kids come up to look at the fish we had hanged for pics at the marina. the kids had all kinds of questions about the fish, we had the dad get his cooler and gave him 4 nice snapper. i don't normally talk to kids i don't know except a hi if they wave or say hi.

WRONG, it depends on their age or whether or not they are with a parent.

You're not the first to be butt hurt over it.

That's why I posted what I posted.

Butt hurt, do I sound butt hurt just bbecause I disagree with you?
Which brings us to this point, who are you to be posting PSA's, stating your opinion does not make it right.

Just know that any kids that are old enough to grasp the conversation more than likely rolled their eyes and talked about you as soon as you walked away.

Old dude with new balances “back when I was in the scouts we didn’t have a Walmart we had to go door to door”

13 year old number 1: can’t believe he only bought 1 box after telling us that story”

13 year old number 2: yeah and he smelled like my grandpa
Me the family, the S-I-L and her brood were in a restaurant in Gatlinburg, TN., had ordered, waiting for food, and across the room a young couple trying to eat, with 2 yo screaming like there's no tomorrow......

I ask mom, holding the child, and not able to eat....... 'if you let me, I'll hold him and you can eat'......... she did, he got quiet, we walked around the room looking at all the stuffed animal heads on the wall, THEY got to eat in peace.... at least once, the other patrons didn't have to listen to the screaming, little one had a much better time for a few minutes, I never got out of sight of mom and dads table..............

Just the other day I was going into Home Depot and a mom with 4 or 5 yo coming out in one of those buggys that have a seat and a steering wheel for the little ones.......... as they passed I stopped and asked '....excuse me young man, can I see your drivers license...'?????

He grinned, looked at mom.......... mom busted a gut!!!!

I have yet to have a GFY............... will deal with it when/if I ever get one..............

IMHO
Originally Posted by viking
i See where Flave is coming from. Better to be safe than sorry these days.

I see where he's coming from too. Parents have every right to set boundaries, and everyone else needs to honor those boundaries. But his post wasn't directed to parents, it was directed to old people and "old people need to back off "is a little too general for me.

I'd say most old men should back off. But there's a big difference in a 60-something greaseball in a wife-beater with tats vs. a 90 year-old woman barely moving in a walker. It's a shame that some can't register subtle nuances like that. And anyone who'd tell that woman to "fugg off" for talking to his kids is a douchebag in my opinion.
Do you have personal or professional experience with child molester?

I don’t have kids, but I am very aware that they are walking around at any age.

Personally, I would find it odd that an adult would want to engage in a passing play date with a strangers kid.

A stranger helping a parent by picking up a dropped toy at a grocery store the parent didn’t see their child drop, but hears “Here you go little one” or whatever, wouldn’t generate hostility from me...

Sitting next to my kid and trying to engage in a conversation without first addressing me for approval would...😎
Originally Posted by widrahthaar

Just know that any kids that are old enough to grasp the conversation more than likely rolled their eyes and talked about you as soon as you walked away.

Old dude with new balances “back when I was in the scouts we didn’t have a Walmart we had to go door to door”

13 year old number 1: can’t believe he only bought 1 box after telling us that story”

13 year old number 2: yeah and he smelled like my grandpa

Maybe, or maybe just your cynicism...either way what would i care if they got a laugh at out of me?
I do not initiate any contact with children whether or not they are accompanied by an adult . After many years of close association with and working with our local sheriff and my wife's work with abused kids through her pediatric office I am very leery of men who show an interest in gabbing with young kids. I bet most families have the odd male relative that likes to hold kids on his lap and tickle and tease them. Avoid them like the plague. I have a beautiful outgoing 7 year old granddaughter that I worry about. She introduces herself to everybody we come in contact with and asks their name and where they are from, which is a wonderful thing to be so self assured and interested in others. But I am going to have to ask my daughter and my wife to explain dirty old men to her because she thinks everybody is a good person and a potential friend.

This reminds me of when my son was just a tiny little guy. I was in an HEB in South Texas and some old, old, old lady walked up to my son and and gently touched his hair and started saying some schit about eggs and eyes.

I take my left arm and gently push her hand away and said "Hey lady. What the fugk are you doing? Get your own fugking kid."

She looked at me like I was El fugking Diablo in the flesh. I didn't know what to say so I didn't say anything. Grabbed my son's hand and went to check out. There was literally a circle of Mexicans just staring at us with their mouths open.

Later at work I explained the story and everyone busted up laughing. Apparently it's some sort of Mexican voodoo bullschit. Evil eyes drain power so you gotta touch the kid or something. I told them all if their wives or mothers do that schit they better stop or they're gonna end up face down in the Nueces. Not everyone is born and raised in bum fugk Mexico.

LMAO. Touching somebody else's kid? WTF? Fugk off old lady.
I find it amusing that if anyone came here and posted " I took the six your old boy next door to the range", everyone would be patting him on the back.

Could then be asked, why would any normal man want to take a six year old boy who is not their own, to the range, or fishing?
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Personally, I would find it odd that an adult would want to engage in a passing play date with a strangers kid.

A stranger helping a parent by picking up a dropped toy at a grocery store the parent didn’t see their child drop, but hears “Here you go little one” or whatever, wouldn’t generate hostility from me...

Sitting next to my kid and trying to engage in a conversation without first addressing me for approval would...😎

Do I?

Professional yes, personal no.
I find it amusing that if anyone came here and posted " I took the six your old boy next door to the range", everyone would be patting him on the back.

Could then be asked, why would any normal man want to take a six year old boy who is not their own, to the range, or fishing?

I wouldn't pat you on the back.

I'd call you a moron at best.

I wouldn't pat you on the back.

I'd call you a moron at best.

Now you are just getting nasty, I guess the intelligent debate is over with..have a nice day.

I'd say most old men should back off. But there's a big difference in a 60-something greaseball in a wife-beater with tats vs. a 90 year-old woman barely moving in a walker. It's a shame that some can't register subtle nuances like that. And anyone who'd tell that woman to "fugg off" for talking to his kids is a douchebag in my opinion.

You think four year old's know the difference.

They don't.

Do I?

Professional yes, personal no.

Understand completely....😎

This reminds me of when my son was just a tiny little guy. I was in an HEB in South Texas and some old, old, old lady walked up to my son and and gently touched his hair and started saying some schit about eggs and eyes.

I take my left arm and gently push her hand away and said "Hey lady. What the fugk are you doing? Get your own fugking kid."

She looked at me like I was El fugking Diablo in the flesh. I didn't know what to say so I didn't say anything. Grabbed my son's hand and went to check out. There was literally a circle of Mexicans just staring at us with their mouths open.

Later at work I explained the story and everyone busted up laughing. Apparently it's some sort of Mexican voodoo bullschit. Evil eyes drain power so you gotta touch the kid or something. I told them all if their wives or mothers do that schit they better stop or they're gonna end up face down in the Nueces. Not everyone is born and raised in bum fugk Mexico.

I'd agree that touching someone else's kid is out of bounds but I thought your thread was about talking to someone else's kid??
I may talk with a kid, it's never been a problem. This is primarily with babys being held by a parent, and seldom more than anything which would be considered a polite complement. There is imo a rapid decline in cuteness the further away from that stage the child becomes.

They don't.

Not my point. My point is about telling "old people" in general to fugg off if they speak to your kid. The greaseball should know better and should stay away. And you should know better than to tell a 90 year-old woman in a walker to "fugg off" for speaking to your kid in a public place.

They don't.

When will your 4 yr old son ever be alone?

The assumption by some here is that because they aren't predators there wouldn't be a "problem". But from a knowledgeable/thinking parents' point of view, all it takes is few minutes on your local sexual and violent offenders registry anyone can find on their 'puter and it becomes very evident where Deflave is coming from.

The other side of the coin is the distinct possibility of being falsely charged with one form or another of assault for engaging with someones' kid. There are some very sick parents out there that use their children as tools and wouldn't bat an eye at making a buck off them.
I think there's a time and place for saying things to kids. I was riding my bike down the path Wednesday. Two parents walking. Their two kids on bikes out ahead of them. I scrubbed off speed to pass with minimal disparity. I said hello to the parents. As I passed the little girl I told her I like the color of her bike. Then I passed the little boy and told him his bike was really cool. He responded by squealing something in excitement and simulated whacking the throttle repeatedly with his right hand. Had either parent told me to fugk off, I am not sure how I would have reacted. It certainly wouldn't keep me from doing the same thing again.

When I caught a foul ball at a triple A game last week, I asked the kid next to me if he wanted it. He was thrilled. We shared a fist bump. If his dad had told me to fugk off I don't know how I would have reacted. I would have moved to a new seat. I don't like being near cockholes. It wouldn't keep me from doing the same thing again.

Context matters.

They don't.

Not my point. My point is about telling "old people" in general to fugg off if they speak to your kid. The greaseball should know better and should stay away. And you should know better than to tell a 90 year-old woman in a walker to "fugg off" for speaking to your kid in a public place.

You see, the problem is not with an adult who means no harm talking to a child, the problem is you and deflave who have a paranoia and dislike of most strangers they come across. Well that is on you.

When my mother was a school teacher she used to take her kids to the old folk's home, because she understood how the old folks would enjoy interacting with the kids, she encouraged her students to talk with old people to learn. These were sixth graders.

Last week I gave a gal who has a couple of kids $100 bucks to take her kids to the Boardwalk, I knew should could not afford to do so...gee, am I a "normal man" for doing so?
Not no, but HELL NO!
Its not paranoia, its creating boundaries and expecting other people to honor them.......

A little paranoia is a good thing, it keeps you alert and you avoid a lot of trouble
Kids should be kept at home until they are 24.
Originally Posted by Hastings
Not no, but HELL NO!
Its not paranoia, its creating boundaries and expecting other people to honor them.......

A little paranoia is a good thing, it keeps you alert and you avoid a lot of trouble

Sure it is, otherwise we would let our kids run the neighborhood like we used to..times have changed, I get that. But teaching your kids to be smart, when it is OK and not OK to talk to a stranger is adequate. Being with mom and dad should be a time when it is OK, riding your bike alone, NOT
Originally Posted by Huntz
Kids should be kept at home until they are 24.

That would be a great way to protect them! By the time they are 24 they should be able to handle an old person saying hello without suffering lifelong traumatizing consequences.

We've had a small community of Mennonites around my are for several years. Out in public places their children are the most consistently quiet, well behaved kids I've ever seen. One of my favorite things when I see them out in stores is to make goofy faces and do silly things trying to get them to start acting up like other little hellions do. It's a real blast when I can get them to start running around, giggling, laughing and talking loudly. I always straighten up and act like just another uninterested shopper minding my own business when their mothers turn around and quietly admonish them.
Originally Posted by joken2

We've had a small community of Mennonites around my are for several years. Out in public places their children are the most consistently quiet, well behaved kids I've ever seen. One of my favorite things when I see them out in stores is to make goofy faces and do silly things trying to get them to start acting up like other little hellions do. It's a real blast when I can get them to start running around, giggling, laughing and talking loudly. I always straighten up and act like just another uninterested shopper minding my own business when their mothers turn around and quietly admonish them.

What kind of man are you? wink
Most times the tots got more sense than their friggin millennial parents!!
This thread is hilarious.
1) Whataburger in Corpus Christi, has an elevator and stairs to the upstairs dining. Group of moms with several kids piles in the elevator, a little kid, maybe five, has the doors close in his face, leaving him there alone. OMG did that kid wail, I stand not to far away and reassured him, call over teenage staff girl in uniform, she walks him by the hand and leads him up the stairs to find his mommy.

2) I’m at the playground with my young granddaughter (often a difficult situation because if you two are playing tag, other little kids want to join in). This girl, maybe ten, no parents around is frozen in a fearful panic on the climbing bars, doesnt know how to get down. Since my granddaughter is playing nearby I walk over to talk to my granddaughter but really to explain to the stuck kid how to get down and to reassure her I’ll catch her if she falls, at no time did I come close to touching the kid. She climbs down, incident over.

3) Worst one of all grin In a McDonald’s in the evening with my then-five yo granddaughter waiting for her daddy to get off work. No kids in the McDonald’s playground so the kid cajoles me to come climb on it with her. Ya I know “12 and under” but the whole place is mostly empty and I’ve never been in one of those things.

15 minutes later we’re having a good time playing hide and seek , I’m “it” as usual, when three or four Mexican moms with a herd of kids walk in. They all get quiet and look up, there’s this old guy crawling through a tube on the ceiling, no kid visible.

I probably encourage my kids to speak to strangers. Not weird old people randomly, but if I happen to chat with someone I’ll include them and have them contribute.

I’d bet 9 times out of 10 a pedophile knows his victim by name and spends time with him/her. Family member, daycare worker, coach, etc...
But yes, random old people walking up to talk to kids is kinda weird.
Nobody has the right to talk to my kids. To be fair, not many did, I was pretty unambiguous about other folks around mine. I wouldn't even let grandparents take my kids out of my sight when they were little.

Buncha creepy fuggs out there. Clarke is more militant than I though. I smile at little kids and babies, maybe make a face and try to get a reaction if I'm bored. I hate other peoples kids, always have. Maybe not hate, but strongly dislike.
How old until folks can talk to the kids?

Me?

Girls = late teens
Boys = mid teens.

I'm talking random stranger convo here. My son at 16 is big enough to tell someone to fugg off if they are odd.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Nobody has the right to talk to my kids. To be fair, not many did, I was pretty unambiguous about other folks around mine. I wouldn't even let grandparents take my kids out of my sight when they were little.

Buncha creepy fuggs out there. Clarke is more militant than I though. I smile at little kids and babies, maybe make a face and try to get a reaction if I'm bored. I hate other peoples kids, always have. Maybe not hate, but strongly dislike.

That's something, I enjoy kids like I do my own grand-kids. I'm sure age has a lot to do with it.

I can still remember long time ago, my father commenting on one his friends who had a daughter later in life. I remember him commenting on how it wasn't normal for a man to want to spend that much time with a little daughter...then came pop's grand daughter. Should have seen him, inseparable, took her everywhere. Felt like reminding him and telling him he needed to apologize to his friend for thinking the worst.
Whoever.

Mine are still quite young but my oldest just started team sports. More adults around now besides just me and his mom. Different dynamic this year.
Society is fugged up, this thread proves it

That's something, I enjoy kids like I do my own grand-kids. I'm sure age has a lot to do with it.

I can still remember long time ago, my father commenting on one his friends who had a daughter later in life. I remember him commenting on how it wasn't normal for a man to want to spend that much time with a little daughter...then came pop's grand daughter. Should have seen him, inseparable, took her everywhere. Felt like reminding him and telling him he needed to apologize to his friend for thinking the worst.

You run your house, I'll run mine. I do not subscribe to the idea that grandparents have any "rights" when it comes to kids. At least when we are talking normal (what used to be anyway) homes with a self supporting mom and dad at home situation. I wasn't well liked by my in-laws for a long long time. I lost no sleep over it. My kids = my responsibility. Period.

If however, the situation dictates the kid and grandkids are dependent on the grandparents for support, whether it be housing, or money, or whatever then I'd say the grandparent has more of a say.
I probably encourage my kids to speak to strangers. Not weird old people randomly, but if I happen to chat with someone I’ll include them and have them contribute. I’d bet 9 times out of 10 a pedophile knows his victim by name and spends time with him/her. Family member, daycare worker, coach, etc...
I required my kids (and now grandkids) to talk to store clerks and other business people and make transactions themselves with me present. I wasn't about to let them grow up shy. What I didn't go for was unsolicited strangers engaging them or family members with unusual interest in them. Absolutely I wouldn't let adults take them off ATV riding or swimming. Those 2 activities are trouble. My lady doctor suggested that her 12 year old son would like to come out and hunt with me to kill a deer. I told her I would be glad to take him but she or his dad would have to come also.
Whoever.

Mine are still quite young but my oldest just started team sports. More adults around now besides just me and his mom. Different dynamic this year.

A coach or a parent of another player isn't the same thing as a random stranger.
Originally Posted by 700LH
Society is fugged up, this thread proves it

Idunno, most create their own realities, I want to think things are no where near as bad as some like to think.

There seems to be some confusion between the meanings of paranoia and prudence.
A coach or a parent of another player isn't the same thing as a random stranger.
A lot of coaches, scout masters,karate teachers, youth pastors, priests, and such bear watching. The woods are full of perverts and some gravitate toward sports or church.
I probably encourage my kids to speak to strangers. Not weird old people randomly, but if I happen to chat with someone I’ll include them and have them contribute. I’d bet 9 times out of 10 a pedophile knows his victim by name and spends time with him/her. Family member, daycare worker, coach, etc...
I required my kids (and now grandkids) to talk to store clerks and other business people and make transactions themselves with me present. I wasn't about to let them grow up shy. What I didn't go for was unsolicited strangers engaging them or family members with unusual interest in them. Absolutely I wouldn't let adults take them off ATV riding or swimming. Those 2 activities are trouble. My lady doctor suggested that her 12 year old son would like to come out and hunt with me to kill a deer. I told her I would be glad to take him but she or his dad would have to come also.

Agreed.

Been on several colonial Spanish archaeological digs. One common denominator is all the "figas” found. It’s a charm or ornament that has been blessed to protect the bearer from evil eye. They even had them on their horse tack and such. Big schidt in their culture. Found ‘em all way from Louisiana to edge of West Texas.

Been on several colonial Spanish archaeological digs. One common denominator is all the "figas” found. It’s a charm or ornament that has been blessed to protect the bearer from evil eye. They even had them on their horse tack and such. Big schidt in their culture. Found ‘em all way from Louisiana to edge of West Texas.

That old Mexican woman still talking to Jesus about ol’ El Diablo Blanco!
Whoever.

One would be wise to keep in mind that pedophiles gravitate toward coaching, and scouting, and youth ministries,etc for the target rich environment.

You run your house, I'll run mine. I do not subscribe to the idea that grandparents have any "rights" when it comes to kids. At least when we are talking normal (what used to be anyway) homes with a self supporting mom and dad at home situation. I wasn't well liked by my in-laws for a long long time. I lost no sleep over it. My kids = my responsibility. Period.

If however, the situation dictates the kid and grandkids are dependent on the grandparents for support, whether it be housing, or money, or whatever then I'd say the grandparent has more of a say.

WTF, grand parents, rights? The fact you even think about what rights your folks have in regards to your kids tells me you are wound pretty tight.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Whoever.

One would be wise to keep in mind that pedophiles gravitate toward coaching, and scouting, and youth ministries,etc for the target rich environment.

That was kinda my point earlier.

I don’t sweat a random old lady at the store.

Weird church guy? Even young ones..... Yeah, fugg off buddy.

WTF, grand parents, rights? The fact you even think about what rights your folks have in regards to your kids tells me you are wound pretty tight.

My folks and in-laws are GTG. Seen enough situations to know that ain’t always the case though.

Raise your kids however you see fit. Ain’t my place to judge, though I may chuckle.
Whoever.

Truth!
It’s weird.

I know it's really weird, but some old people are Grandparents or just love children in general. It was very common for old people to make over children and pat them on the head when I was a kid. Now, because of the perverts, everybody thinks if you do that you are a weirdo.
It’s weird.

Because some folks are nice. And some folks are overly paranoid. Which, really, probably there is a right to be this day and time. But ONCE AGAIN, we go blame EVERYONE in a category(guns) rather than punish the individuals that do whatever the crime is...

Geez.
[quote=deflave]Don't do this.

I agree. Only exception I can think of is finding a lost child. Several years ago at out local walmart. I turned into an isle and found maybe a 2 yr old little boy crying his eyes out. I checked the other isles close by and seen no one. I wenrt back to the boy and asked where his mama was. He held his arms up so I picked him up and headed to customer service. I ran into a Walmart worker that had a walkie talkie. I told her the situation. She got on the radio and had customer service announce over head about the boy and our location. The walmart lady tried to take the boy but he was latched onto me. It took about 10 minutes for the momma to get there to her son. She had 5 or 6 other kids with her. She reached for the boy and he just clung to her still scared to death. She started ragging on 1 of the other older kids about letting him get lose. I told her your son and your responsibility not the other kids. Told her she was mighty lucky I found him instead of a molester. Crazy heifer started cussing me and telling me dont be telling me how to raise my kids.

People like that dont deserve children in my opinion

Nowadays, with what we are told is a real and growing threat are organized, thriving sex slave groups that abduct children and even teens to sell/trade on underground perv markets, it's extremely important that parents, guardians, and those responsible for their welfare and safety be much more wary of strangers and their surroundings than it was back in the old days.
Gotta show the wife this. Shes the most civil, polite person I've ever met. You're in public and someone starts trying to interact with one of the kids uninvited, she will flat light somebody up! She'll usually give them the stink eye first and if they proceed it's [bleep] go time.
I put aside the fact that it could be some kind gentle old person who's getting their feelings hurt, mainly because of the fact that I'm callous and self involved and could really care less. We've tried to teach our kids to not give a fugg about their fellow man. Makes life much simpler and less painful

Nowadays, with what we are told is a real and growing threat are organized, thriving sex slave groups that abduct children and even teens to sell/trade on underground perv markets, it's extremely important that parents, guardians, and those responsible for their welfare and safety be much more wary of strangers and their surroundings than it was back in the old days.

Keep your kids away from pizza parlors and Lady Gaga.
I really do not like other peoples kids. They can be annoying as hell. Because usually their parents are annoying as hell!

LMAO!

Sig line material KW!!
Whoever.

this^^^ kids are easy targets and the short eyes know all the tricks and many are networked. Kids and young people "disappear" in staggering numbers. The consequences, not the odds are the factor that parents should pay attention to the most. Stay the phuqe away from my grandkids. That being said my wife makes eye contact and coos at babies in restaurants all the time, drives me crazy. Great thread and very timely.

mike r
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Gotta show the wife this. Shes the most civil, polite person I've ever met. You're in public and someone starts trying to interact with one of the kids uninvited, she will flat light somebody up! She'll usually give them the stink eye first and if they proceed it's [bleep] go time.

Your wife and mine could be twins. I always get a kick out of the reactions from folks when the wife lets it go, they never had any idea what shes was capable of.

BTW, it's only funny when it's not directed at me......... wink
When I notice one or more of the lil bastards looking my way, I growl at them, and bare my teeth like I'm going to bite em, that usually keeps them at bay and sometimes even scared and crying, God I love going to Walmart ! laugh
Seems there's a whole worlds of people always ready to tell others to fuqk off for some reason or other.
What I have trouble understanding is how I manage to miss all the fights that get started that way.
Not to say I doubt what I read, but I kinda do.
Does anyone have reliable data that has not been inflated regarding the number of child molestations/abductions over the years? Is it a growing problem in reality or hyped like gun statistics?
I am reminded of this...

Situational enforcement here.

One can never be too "prudent".

Even if it seems a bit "paranoid" to others.

Geno

PS, you got any of them figas hanging around you could part with. I'll hang one in the juniper out front where the driveway is. Keep the debbil away.

PPS, them Mexicanos have nothing on the Italiananos. I think we invented the evil eye. Or maybe it was them Huns from up north?
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Does anyone have reliable data that has not been inflated regarding the number of child molestations/abductions over the years? Is it a growing problem in reality or hyped like gun statistics?

Only about 100 missing-child reports each year fit the profile of a stereotypical abduction by a stranger or vague acquaintance.

From: https://web.archive.org/web/20150216071609/http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/forensics/americas_missing/2.html

About a decade ago, I had this conversation with an attorney that was familiar with this field of study. I had told her that I had thought that the incidence per capita had dropped over the years, but that media coverage of these events had gone way up. "Exactly" was her response.

It's not the strangers you need to worry about, it's the people you "know".

Whoever.

That was kinda my point earlier.

I don’t sweat a random old lady at the store.

Weird church guy? Even young ones..... Yeah, fugg off buddy.

This.
I put aside the fact that it could be some kind gentle old person who's getting their feelings hurt, mainly because of the fact that I'm callous and self involved and could really care less. We've tried to teach our kids to not give a fugg about their fellow man. Makes life much simpler and less painful

If I had kids I might feel the same way...............................maybe.

Sure doesn't seem to be good for society. Perhaps our way of life has come to this?

Geno
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I am reminded of this...

Situational enforcement here.

Exactly what I thought of this morning when I first saw this thread.

Geno
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

Only about 100 missing-child reports each year fit the profile of a stereotypical abduction by a stranger or vague acquaintance.

From: http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/forensics/americas_missing/2.html

About a decade ago, I had this conversation with an attorney that was familiar with this field of study. I had told her that I had thought that the incidence per capita had dropped over the years, but that media coverage of these events had gone way up. "Exactly" was her response.

Check out the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Relatives and friends as child molesters is common but many other threats exist.

mike r
Originally Posted by Valsdad

One can never be too "prudent".

Even if it seems a bit "paranoid" to others.

Geno

PS, you got any of them figas hanging around you could part with. I'll hang one in the juniper out front where the driveway is. Keep the debbil away.

PPS, them Mexicanos have nothing on the Italiananos. I think we invented the evil eye. Or maybe it was them Huns from up north?

Geno,

Most all the figas I’ve see are a small cast brass or copper, (about the size of a kidney bean) clenched fist with the thumb sticking out between the index finger and middle finger. With a small loop for chain, string, or leather cast into the wrist/forearm portion.

Sure doesn't seem to be good for society. Perhaps our way of life has come to this?

Geno

I sit in traffic and watch the idiots hand over hard earned $ to some piece of [bleep] 20yr old white kid with a sign every day. An indifference towards strangers isn't the problem with society, it's the parasite class that seems to be the majority after 8 years of Obama convincing an eager audience of their victim status.
I preach hard work and smart decisions = success in this country and you owe no one a free lunch.
It’s weird.

Me and the other PM on my project were having lunch yesterday, and the 2-3 year old girl who was jabbering and laughing in the booth behind us got out of the booth before momma to leave, she looked up at me and I said "hey cutie"....I kid you not, she held her fist out for a bump and I obliged. It was funny as hell and cute at the same time.
A lot of the old timers on this forum are avoiding this thread.

laughing

[Linked Image]

From: http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/forensics/americas_missing/2.html

Thanks. It's very difficult to dig through the bogus stats that we are fed daily by those with a vested financial interest in selling fear.
Depends on the context and location to me. Also, your definition of "old". If it's some eighty-year-old, few of them are gonna be spry enough to make away with all but the youngest of kids. As somebody else said, if it's some sixty-year-old, that's a lot different. I also figure lots of the true old people only know about half of what they're babbling about anyway. Lots of them want to talk to children because they've reverted to their second childhood themselves. If I'm in a nursing home with the kids, I expect them to get swarmed by oldsters, starved for attention.

Oh, and I'd say no offense to some of the oldsters on here, but IDGAF whether they're offended or not, so there's that, Polesmoker, lvmiker, Blowsinger, et al.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Depends on the context and location to me. Also, your definition of "old". If it's some eighty-year-old, few of them are gonna be spry enough to make away with all but the youngest of kids. As somebody else said, if it's some sixty-year-old, that's a lot different. I also figure lots of the true old people only know about half of what they're babbling about anyway. Lots of them want to talk to children because they've reverted to their second childhood themselves. If I'm in a nursing home with the kids, I expect them to get swarmed by oldsters, starved for attention.

Oh, and I'd say no offense to some of the oldsters on here, but IDGAF whether they're offended or not, so there's that, Polesmoker, lvmiker, Blowsinger, et al.

You offend no one, you are irrelevant.

mike r
Originally Posted by slumlord

laughing

[Linked Image]
A lot of old timers here are sniffing the air and wondering what the smell is. In five minutes, they'll realize they've shixt their Depends again and probably need to see the doc about reducing their dosage on their meds.

But seriously, generally I don't want strangers talking to my kids regardless of their age. One of mine is eighteen though and the other is fourteen so...
Originally Posted by lvmiker

You offend no one, you are irrelevant.

mike r
If I was irrelevant, you wouldn't bother posting to me, great grandpa.
What does PSA mean. (not the prostate test.)
Originally Posted by Hubert
Public Personal Service Announcement
Thanks.
No probs.
Thanks.

You got any popsicles in your freezer? The one in the cellar?

I got friends...in crawlspaces
Well, what do you know. Liberals don't have a monopoly on helicopter parenting and raising snowflakes.

You get them 'maters all tied up yet?

Get one of the neighbor kids to help?
Oh wait, that would be frowned upon.

Geno

That f u c k i n g f a g Garth Brooks has a ranch about 120 miles south of here.
I never get any trick or treaters anymore

😩😩
Children an overrated.

Geno

I sit in traffic and watch the idiots hand over hard earned $ to some piece of [bleep] 20yr old white kid with a sign every day. An indifference towards strangers isn't the problem with society, it's the parasite class that seems to be the majority after 8 years of Obama convincing an eager audience of their victim status.
I preach hard work and smart decisions = success in this country and you owe no one a free lunch.

The communist infilitraiont and brainwashing has won if we are supposed to teach our kids not to care for others. I figured it eventually would, but it in and of itself will lead to no good. Much less the abductions.

Fairly simple IMHO, you keep close enough watch on the kids you brought onto this earth and teach them right and wrong and the odds of this happening are nil. OTOH if you are of the group of it it saves just one, then we have lost.
Personal Service Announcement

lol

um no
Public Service Announcement

Palmetto State Armory
Originally Posted by 700LH

Palmetto State Armory

Penis Sucking Assclown

Check out the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Relatives and friends as child molesters is common but many other threats exist.

mike r

Any organization that leads off with the "424,066 children reported missing to law enforcement" in a large animated .gif on their home page is worthy of immense skepticism. And the hard to miss donation buttons, well they're an added bonus.

What they are not telling you is that the vast, vast majority of those 424K reports are due to:

1) Family abductions
2) Children lost, injured, stranded - aka missing involuntarily
3) Runaways or throwaways.
4) Missing with a benign explanation. Nowadays, that pretty much means dead battery in the cell phone, or junior just turned it off.

But please, DO NOT take my word on it. Please read the results of the NISMART surveys for the actual breakdowns.

https://www.ojjdp.gov/research/NISMART1-3.html

I have no idea why a grown man would gain pleasure from that.

Depends on the kid as far as teaching lessons is concerned.

Or are you asking my opinion in general?

Depends on the kid.

Now they are putting Depends on kids?!?!?
But yes, random old people walking up to talk to kids is kinda weird.

Yes.

I do take my kids everywhere.

I'm their dad.
I did not read through all 16 pages, so tell to fugg off or go slog through the entire thread if this has been covered....

What age kids are we talking about here?

At what point in the child’s development are they allowed to interact with strangers in your presence?

I am a middle aged bachelor with no children, so what the fugg do I know....but, I have always felt that it is important to talk with the parent first. Let the parent size you up. The child will take cues from the parent and that is how children learn what is appropriate interaction and what is not. If you do not allow them to interact at all, how will they recognize danger when you are not around?

Could not agree more.

I'd agree that touching someone else's kid is out of bounds but I thought your thread was about talking to someone else's kid??

It is.

Don't talk to kids you don't know.

That old Mexican woman still talking to Jesus about ol’ El Diablo Blanco!

Keep in mind I'm a very, very, very laid back person and when I use the word fugk, it's not always a derogatory thing.

But there was some serious culture clash at that moment. All I was trying to convey was don't talk to or touch my kid. I think it was perceived differently due to Texans being so fugking stupid and thin skinned.
my wife went to town one morning saw a dog barking at the ditch . when she got close she saw a small kid in the ditch she knows who lives and they don't have kids . she called 911 the dispatcher said get the kid away from the dog it was cold and raining at the time she did not want to put the kid in her car . dispatcher said it was ok just stay on the phone and don't move . there was a bad wreck that morning took 22 min. for the police to get there she was scared that she would be caught by a parent with there kid in her car . cops got there and took about 10 min. to find her home .32 min. that mother did not know her 2/3 year old went out the front door. the little girl could have been one that was not found. it scared the $hit out of my wife
Originally Posted by reivertom

I know it's really weird, but some old people are Grandparents or just love children in general. It was very common for old people to make over children and pat them on the head when I was a kid. Now, because of the perverts, everybody thinks if you do that you are a weirdo.

I had grandparents and parents.

I'm a Gen X'er.

Never once saw anybody involved in my rearing approach a kid they didn't know and ask or say stupid fugking schit. And they sure as fugk didn't try to pat them on the head.
Originally Posted by rost495

Because some folks are nice. And some folks are overly paranoid. Which, really, probably there is a right to be this day and time. But ONCE AGAIN, we go blame EVERYONE in a category(guns) rather than punish the individuals that do whatever the crime is...

Geez.

I'm not punishing anyone for anything.
[quote=smokepole] I was in an HEB in South Texas and some old, old, old lady walked up to my son and and gently touched his hair and started saying some schit about eggs and eyes.

The Major Frank Burns model of parenting grin

The little Ol’ Abuelita was prob’ly trying to be nice which was prob’ly obvious to regular folks.

All that being said, when I’m with the grandkid I generally feel the need to have a firearm close at hand. Anyone or anything tries to mess with that kid and ITS ON. ‘Spect most folks feel the same way.

Good wife.
Originally Posted by Tracks
Seems there's a whole worlds of people always ready to tell others to fuqk off for some reason or other.
What I have trouble understanding is how I manage to miss all the fights that get started that way.
Not to say I doubt what I read, but I kinda do.

Every time I have an altercation my wife shakes her head and says "Only you."

Probably some truth in that.
Originally Posted by RDW

Me and the other PM on my project were having lunch yesterday, and the 2-3 year old girl who was jabbering and laughing in the booth behind us got out of the booth before momma to leave, she looked up at me and I said "hey cutie"....I kid you not, she held her fist out for a bump and I obliged. It was funny as hell and cute at the same time.

Not the type of scenario my PSA is addressing.

laughing

[Linked Image]

Yeah.

Havre, MT had a "balloon animal guy" that roamed around town. As in, literally approached strange children in public and asked them if he could make them a balloon animal.

He got an education as well. And seemed very confused by it. As did everyone else. FLAVE was the ass hole. Not the creepy fugk walking around town trying to make balloon animals for kids.

Society as a whole is dumber than fugk.

It's not just about the level of inherent danger. It's about instilling in the mind that you don't talk to strangers.
Originally Posted by savage24
I did not read through all 16 pages, so tell to fugg off or go slog through the entire thread if this has been covered....

What age kids are we talking about here?

At what point in the child’s development are they allowed to interact with strangers in your presence?

I am a middle aged bachelor with no children, so what the fugg do I know....but, I have always felt that it is important to talk with the parent first. Let the parent size you up. The child will take cues from the parent and that is how children learn what is appropriate interaction and what is not. If you do not allow them to interact at all, how will they recognize danger when you are not around?

I don't know that I have a set age.

My oldest daughter is 12. I don't think any adult should be approaching a 12 year old but when an old Puerto Rican woman says she likes her blonde hair while we stand in line at Wal-Mart, I don't react the same as I would a 50 year old man.

When will your 4 yr old son ever be alone?

My son is going on 18. He's alone all the time.

I think. Hell I don't know what he does.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
yesterday evening we had a family with 5 small kids come up to look at the fish we had hanged for pics at the marina. the kids had all kinds of questions about the fish, we had the dad get his cooler and gave him 4 nice snapper. i don't normally talk to kids i don't know except a hi if they wave or say hi.

Rog got hustled out of four fish! Grin...

Now you are just getting nasty, I guess the intelligent debate is over with..have a nice day.

It's not a debate it's a public service announcement.
Havre, MT had a "balloon animal guy" that roamed around town. As in, literally approached strange children in public and asked them if he could make them a balloon animal.

OK, that guy would set off my radar warning too.
Professional services automation (PSA) software for businesses.
It's not just about the level of inherent danger. It's about instilling in the mind that you don't talk to strangers.

You could try looping this in the background as reinforcement.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

OK, that guy would set off my radar warning too.

Oh no. Perfectly normal behavior.

I just think that was weird because I was "from Chicago."

Was candy offered? Clown suit? Panel Van near? Azz kickoff time! Old people can smell strange too. 😎

[Linked Image]
I agree with you 'flave. I didn't want anyone talking to or touching my kids. I sure as heck wont have that interaction with my grands!

mike r

Any organization that leads off with the "424,066 children reported missing to law enforcement" in a large animated .gif on their home page is worthy of immense skepticism. And the hard to miss donation buttons, well they're an added bonus.

What they are not telling you is that the vast, vast majority of those 424K reports are due to:

1) Family abductions
2) Children lost, injured, stranded - aka missing involuntarily
3) Runaways or throwaways.
4) Missing with a benign explanation. Nowadays, that pretty much means dead battery in the cell phone, or junior just turned it off.

But please, DO NOT take my word on it. Please read the results of the NISMART surveys for the actual breakdowns.

https://www.ojjdp.gov/research/NISMART1-3.html

Not to be contentious but the number quoted on the NCMEC website clearly states that it is the amount "reported missing to law enforcement", no attempt to dissemble or mislead. The NISMART survey is an estimate by a govt. agency w/ the most recent data collected in 2011. I am not an advocate for and have no ties to NCMEC but they do far more to raise awareness of threats to children than any govt. agency.

Scepticism is a healthy attitude to any quoted statistic.

mike r
100% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
People that grew up in the 40's and 50's still see the world like this
[Linked Image]

People that grew up in the 70's and 80"s see the world as it is, like this
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Texczech
I agree with you 'flave. I didn't want anyone talking to or touching my kids. I sure as heck wont have that interaction with my grands!

Somebody gotta keep this world right side up.
Originally Posted by renegade50

Yeah and nobody hears about the less than famous cases.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...or-issues-helicopter-parenting-can-cause

You are most welcome.
Just got back from Target, kid in the cart ahead of me in line was balling. I said “I hear you sweetheart, I’m feeling the same way today”.
The kid stopped crying and just looked at me, mom laughed, thank goodness she didn’t tell me to GFY. I made it out of there without being arrested.
Just got back from Target, kid in the cart ahead of me in line was balling. I said “I hear you sweetheart, I’m feeling the same way today”.
The kid stopped crying and just looked at me, mom laughed, thank goodness she didn’t tell me to GFY. I made it out of there without being arrested.

"Looks like you and crying girls have a lot in common."

That would be my reply to you.

I'm thinking she was bawling. Just a guess.

Let's hope so.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I don’t think shoo-ing old men away from five year olds qualifies as helicopter parenting.

Let's hope so.

I bet people who don't understand the importance of being able to spell, or discern homonyms, were talked to by old strangers as kids.

Well of course it would, you are miserable and snotty, why would I expect anything different from you?
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Let's hope so.

I bet people who don't understand the importance of being able to spell, or discern homonyms, were talked to by old strangers as kids.

Ah yes, the spelling police. Friend I’m on an iPhone holding it three feet away, I cannot see everything spellchecknis doing to me. Thanks for being on the job.
Who here would think it would be ok to let Joe Biden touch their kid.

Plenty of creepy joe vids on the web.
Years of em....

Well of course it would, you are miserable and snotty, why would I expect anything different from you?

You sound like the old man I encountered yesterday.

Go find a friend or adopt.

Kid’s in public aren’t there for your amusement.

Years of em....

Joe is on the register.

You sound like the old man I encountered yesterday.

Go find a friend or adopt.

Kid’s in public aren’t there for your amusement.

You live your life, I’ll live mine, regardless of your PSA.

Years of em....

Joe is on the register.

You're starting to get it.

You live your life, I’ll live mine, regardless of your PSA.

Never mind.
Go out to run around come back and you two goof balls are still at it?

No, I went to Target, talked to a couple of kids. 😁
No, I went to Target, talked to a couple of kids. 😁

Chester the Molester you is. LOL!!!

This is not a debate.

It's a PSA.

This is not a debate.

It's a PSA.

Your so cute when you get worked up.
You can't spell and you live in California.

How serious can your comments be taken?

Flexeril and beer is finally kicking in ohhh yeahhhh

I don't know what that is.
Once in a Walmart pharmacy line waiting for some drugs and feeling like crap this little boy in a shopping cart whose mom was also in line started talking to me. I was probably 27 and had a wife and baby girl at home. I was ignoring him and his mom didn’t hear him talking to me finally he asked my name, I told him and then asked his name. Momma heard that! She shot me a look and I think flames shot out of her eyes. She didn’t say anything, but the message was clear. I didn’t bother explaining, I was hurting too bad and figured it’d just make things worse.

In Wyoming strangers talk to each other all the time. A little situational context, while being a protective parent goes a long ways.

Flexeril is a brand of the drug Cyclobenzeprine, a muscle relaxant. It is sold on the street, much like Oxy or Hydracodone, but is not one of these types of drugs. Side effects are horniness and getting pissed off easily. You are not supposed to take it in conjunction with alcohol. It is supposed to be taken in conjunction with Acetemenephin or Ibuprofen. It is very effective.

Flexeril is a brand of the drug Cyclobenzeprine, a muscle relaxant. It is sold on the street, much like Oxy or Hydracodone, but is not one of these types of drugs. Side effects are horniness and getting pissed off easily. You are not supposed to take it in conjunction with alcohol. It is supposed to be taken in conjunction with Acetemenephin or Ibuprofen. It is very effective.

Who the heck needs to buy it off the street? supposedto schommoseto..
Thought a check on the sexual offender registry was a good idea... Seems there are three of them within one block of my house. Seems there are a lot more than that when you increase the radius to two diagonal blocks. One I was aware of.

Only 3.500 in all of AK... seems a bit concentrated here. When the fact almost are male it would seem likely to thin things out a bit.
Fairly concentrated down here in Southeast. Quick search says 73 for the island with most being within 5 miles of each other. Most of them have the same look though so easy to watch out for.
I hate how the world has changed in this regard. Used to chat up youngsters quite a bit back in the day. But because we don’t kill pedophiles and turn them back in the street, I can see the unease it could cause parents.

Was pretty lucky by vocation still got to shoot the chit w lil ones and usually knew their parents.

Even for you good guys it’s teaching kids it’s okay to talk to strangers, you mean no harm, the next guy, who knows ?

It sucks but is what it is. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Around here more’n a few guys who had 16yo girlfriends when they were 20 on the sex offender list. Prob’ly most of the guys on that list are genuine pervs, quite a lot aint.

Thought a check on the sexual offender registry was a good idea... Seems there are three of them within one block of my house. Seems there are a lot more than that when you increase the radius to two diagonal blocks. One I was aware of.

Only 3.500 in all of AK... seems a bit concentrated here. When the fact almost are male it would seem likely to thin things out a bit.

Originally Posted by AKduck
Fairly concentrated down here in Southeast. Quick search says 73 for the island with most being within 5 miles of each other. Most of them have the same look though so easy to watch out for.

From beach sex to public urination: 9 insane things that will get you labeled a sex offender

[Linked Image]

Holy Christ, you won't be talking to anybody on that breakfast cocktail.
There are a couple races greatly over-represented on the list as a function of their numbers in the population... as a rough guess the Natives on the list represent more than half and are but 15% or so of the total population... AAs are also significant when only a tiny percentage of the population is black.

Originally Posted by AKduck

From beach sex to public urination: 9 insane things that will get you labeled a sex offender

Remember reading about a teacher whose career and marriage where ruined by two teenage girls making false claims. They finally admitted they lied and the guy fought like hell to get things righted. He committed suicide before he was able to get it done...
Was just in the grocery store a couple of hours ago. Local oldster pawing the checkout girl. Obviously she didn't want what he was selling but he just kept on. Reminded me of this thread.
Jeebus....I am gone for a couple days and this place gets the schits.
Around here more’n a few guys who had 16yo girlfriends when they were 20 on the sex offender list. Prob’ly most of the guys on that list are genuine pervs, quite a lot aint.

Hell Birdy! What do you think a quinceanēra is all about???

Hell Birdy! What do you think a quinceanēra is all about???

LOL
You can't spell and you live in California.

How serious can your comments be taken?

seriously
I don't have a horse in this race, I don't approach others children nor have children that are approached.

But I might have an idea as to why the OP responds so aggressively.

I have had residences in Florida for most of my life, almost 20% of Florida's population is composed of retirees. Most probably have grand children some where.
A lot of these old f's are lonely and bored, getting out in public could easily be some of the only human interaction some get.

I see it when I shop and really just about anywhere you go here.
Old f's approaching children...all the time...I mean with almost epidemic regularity.
Babies are like old f magnets but any kid 12 and under is potential prey.

It's often "you remind me of my grand son" or isn't she cute, look at that hair, as they reach out to touch.

This crap is cringie at best in most all of these situations.

I see it handled in different ways, most often a luke-warm to cold smile, maybe a verbal acknowledgment but in short the accompanying parent blow's these old f's off as quickly as possible. You can always tell it isn't the first time for the kid and sure as hell isn't gonna be the last.

I really feel for the kids involved at times, you see them look at their parent with that special "save me it's happening again" look in their eyes.

It's not OK, and it's getting more not OK everyday.

If you are one of these types you need to try and limit it to a smile and a wink and be on your way when the over whelming desire comes upon you.

I can't say this odd activity has ever stood out to me anywhere other than here in Florida.
I'm sure it's just due to the frequency of seeing it happen here.

With the OP and his family being recent transplants to the retirement capital of the world here I think I get it...being it's such a regular occurrence here it could be like "culture shock" of sorts for a guy with kids....

Dressing your kids more appropriately when they head out in public could slow the roll...hint.....

[Linked Image]
https://www.zazzle.com/g_f_y_t_shirt-235279874462068160

f=folks
Some of you guys sound like lunatics. What kind of confidence will your kids have if they are never allowed to speak to an adult? You are present, so there is nothing to worry about. This thread is really paranoid.
I like kids, and am not a pedo. That said I have to be aware of the creeps around too. Walking a dog (90 lbs) intimidates some children and parents; Friday 6 kids (and parents) wanted to pet my chihuahua
Originally Posted by kennyd
I like kids, and am not a pedo. That said I have to be aware of the creeps around too. Walking a dog (90 lbs) intimidates some children and parents; Friday 6 kids (and parents) wanted to pet my chihuahua

Holy [bleep]! You have a 90lb Chihuahua?! You gotta post pics of that....
It’s weird.

May be they were raised with manners.

When people smile at them, they smile back.
When people speak to them, they speak back.
May be they never noticed the asshat with the kid.
Originally Posted by JackRyan
It’s weird.

grin

Thinkin' along the same lines here...

I have a full white beard and sizeable belly too so I get the expected Santa Clause jabs year-round from adult friends and even the occasional stranger. As the Christmas holidays approach I start getting lots of stares from little kids, many of which have turned out funny and some have been a bit touching.

One time a grandma was trying unsuccessfully to get her little grand daughter to behave and stop running around being rowdy in a Walmart. All of a sudden the kid looks up, sees me, I say "Ho-Ho-Ho" and do the I'm watching you fingers thing, she freezes in her tracks, gulps and starts acting like a good little girl. Grandma smiles and gives me a 'thank you' nod.

Another time at a Cracker Barrel gift shop, me standing around waiting on my wife to get done playing lookie - lookie, a precious little toddler girl saw me and ran off and got a little girly foot push trike, dragged it back to where I was standing, proceeds to jabber away and pointing at me then to the little trike.

Then there was the time right before Christmas an elderly woman leading by the hand a youngish girl that looked to be in her teens at least and also obviously handicapped. The handicapped girl saw me and her face changed immediately from a somber, spaced-out expression to a big toothy grin and she started waving frantically at me and my wife. Of course I/we smiled and waved back at her.

This is not a debate.

It's a PSA.

You know, if your PSA had gone along the lines of "If someone asks you not to talk to their child, just comply" you'd probably have had 100% buy in. It's understandable that everyone has different parenting styles/methods/philosophies.

As is, well it's worth exactly what we paid for it...

[Linked Image]

Better crop your photo a bit there Phil. I can read your's and Leandra's name pretty clearly.
Originally Posted by DocRocket
It’s weird.

grin

Concur. smile

Not sure about the azzhat thing. Maybe a well meaning Helicopter Dad.

Happy Father's Day BTW!
Odd OP and some strange posts here.
We raised four kids. They were my step kids but I think of them as my own. We live in an area where I didn't worry about people for the most part. With that said, now we have an adorable little granddaughter and I'm not sure I'll feel the same way if some stranger comes up and paws on her.

Originally Posted by Rooster7
now we have an adorable little granddaughter and I'm not sure I'll feel the same way if some stranger comes up and paws on her.

What's been obvious in this thread is there has been many state that they feel they possess some sort of right of entitlement for engaging random children in public places.

What's been absent is current parents of minor children stating that it's perfectly OK for random people to engage their children in conversation any time, any place.

The sense of entitlement amongst the elderly is epidemic...
Originally Posted by JeffA

Originally Posted by Rooster7
now we have an adorable little granddaughter and I'm not sure I'll feel the same way if some stranger comes up and paws on her.

What's been obvious in this thread is there has been many state that they feel they possess some sort of right of entitlement for engaging random children in public places.

What's been absent is current parents of minor children stating that it's perfectly OK for random people to engage their children in conversation any time, any place.

The sense of entitlement amongst the elderly is epidemic...
Not just in this either.
Not just in this either.

You mean like parking in the fire lane at the shopping center, it's not really for fire trucks, it's special parking for old f's that don't have handicap permits.

You know, if your PSA had gone along the lines of "If someone asks you not to talk to their child, just comply" you'd probably have had 100% buy in. It's understandable that everyone has different parenting styles/methods/philosophies.

As is, well it's worth exactly what we paid for it...

Parents shouldn't have to ask anyone to stop engaging with children they don't know. It's common sense.

And it's obvious from many of the responses here that a lot of old fugks don't possess that common sense.

Which brings us to my PSA.

You're welcome.
I don't have a horse in this race, I don't approach others children nor have children that are approached.

But I might have an idea as to why the OP responds so aggressively.

I have had residences in Florida for most of my life, almost 20% of Florida's population is composed of retirees. Most probably have grand children some where.
A lot of these old f's are lonely and bored, getting out in public could easily be some of the only human interaction some get.

I see it when I shop and really just about anywhere you go here.
Old f's approaching children...all the time...I mean with almost epidemic regularity.
Babies are like old f magnets but any kid 12 and under is potential prey.

It's often "you remind me of my grand son" or isn't she cute, look at that hair, as they reach out to touch.

This crap is cringie at best in most all of these situations.

I see it handled in different ways, most often a luke-warm to cold smile, maybe a verbal acknowledgment but in short the accompanying parent blow's these old f's off as quickly as possible. You can always tell it isn't the first time for the kid and sure as hell isn't gonna be the last.

I really feel for the kids involved at times, you see them look at their parent with that special "save me it's happening again" look in their eyes.

It's not OK, and it's getting more not OK everyday.

If you are one of these types you need to try and limit it to a smile and a wink and be on your way when the over whelming desire comes upon you.

I can't say this odd activity has ever stood out to me anywhere other than here in Florida.
I'm sure it's just due to the frequency of seeing it happen here.

With the OP and his family being recent transplants to the retirement capital of the world here I think I get it...being it's such a regular occurrence here it could be like "culture shock" of sorts for a guy with kids....

Dressing your kids more appropriately when they head out in public could slow the roll...hint.....

f=folks

Actually I don't find Florida much worse than other places. But the old people and number of hispanics is certainly a factor.

The worst was Montana. The absolute worst. Probably because it is so rural.

You're welcome.

Should've called it something else. Old women are basically harmless and if you say "PSA" to an old man he'll be thinking you mean something entirely different.

You're welcome.

Should've called it something else. Old women are basically harmless and if you say "PSA" to an old man he'll be thinking you mean something entirely different.

Intended harm has nothing to do with it.

I figured old people would remember the days of of PSA's from network television but apparently the 80's are already a blur.
80's? Hell, I remember Amos & Andy in black and white. The only blur I see is gen X-ers thinking they had an original thought.
Decent women engaging kids doesn't bother me. Men from teenager on up showing an inordinate interest in children make me suspicious. There are a bunch of misfits out there hiding under a pretty thin veneer. And it is true that it is most often acquaintances and even family, (uncles, step-dads, siblings, etc.). Talk to your local child protection officials. You will be surprised.
i never had kids myself, but i raised two stepdaughters, and a son. and about nine grandkids, and three or four great grandkids.
i have a five year old great grandson flying in tomorrow with his dad, who i both consider a grandson, and son, long story.
we will be out and about. I have been paranoid forever about their safety. I remember one of the granddaughters as we were 4wheeling one day i was talking about running wild as a kid in the county, no body thought it odd. She said she wished she could have done that too.
My comment was society was a lot different today than in the small area i grew up in where everybody knew each other. surely there were predators in my time as a kid, but if they were found out, they probably would have been dead.

I don't talk to kids not of the clan. Mostly i can't stand the screaming little brats. And i grew up with the thing kids are seen, not heard.
But i think i would have my radar go on high alert if anyone approached one of the youngins to endulge them in conversation without asking.
my five year old great grandson is to me a super good looking kid. Now i am gonna have to be thinking about this thread as we are out in public. Net reaction is i don't think i would think much of anyone male or female getting to friendly.
times are different than when i grew up.
People are odd about their kids. I remember a few years ago driving down the street from my house, a little girle still in diapers playing basically
in the gutter along the sidewalk, no adults present, and thinking My God, where are they?
I would rather be overprotective than the other way.
I seem to remember my Grandparents generation "The Greatest" didn't really pay any attention to other kids that weren't their blood or those that were family friends when I was around them. Other than the passing your baby is so cute from my Grandmothers. My Grandfathers couldn't have careless about other kids and seems kind of annoyed by them whenever I was with them out in public usually at the hardware store or lumber yard.
Imagine, an opportunity to teach a child respect for his elders and the boundaries of acceptable discourse within a public sphere. And then using that opportunity to tell someone to “...[bleep] off.”
Makes me nervous. I was in Walmart with Kaiden when he was about 18 month old. He was seated in the cart. This older dude, mid 60's I'd say, comes by and says, " How do you get him to be such a good boy?" I responded, don't remember what I said.

Going through the store I catch this guy three times going by the end of the isle waving at Kaiden. I'm keeping Kaiden tight, which is what I did anyway, but I'm thinking, "Please you old MFer, do not make me shoot you in the head!"

I know pedophiles, I know the personality. I mean real pedophiles, one's that have a sexualized love for children.
I seem to remember my Grandparents generation "The Greatest" didn't really pay any attention to other kids that weren't their blood or those that were family friends when I was around them. Other than the passing your baby is so cute from my Grandmothers. My Grandfathers couldn't have careless about other kids and seems kind of annoyed by them whenever I was with them out in public usually at the hardware store or lumber yard.

This was the basic attitude to other peoples children when I was growing up.

Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i never had kids myself, but i raised two stepdaughters, and a son. and about nine grandkids, and three or four great grandkids.
i have a five year old great grandson flying in tomorrow with his dad, who i both consider a grandson, and son, long story.
we will be out and about. I have been paranoid forever about their safety. I remember one of the granddaughters as we were 4wheeling one day i was talking about running wild as a kid in the county, no body thought it odd. She said she wished she could have done that too.
My comment was society was a lot different today than in the small area i grew up in where everybody knew each other. surely there were predators in my time as a kid, but if they were found out, they probably would have been dead.

I don't talk to kids not of the clan. Mostly i can't stand the screaming little brats. And i grew up with the thing kids are seen, not heard.
But i think i would have my radar go on high alert if anyone approached one of the youngins to endulge them in conversation without asking.
my five year old great grandson is to me a super good looking kid. Now i am gonna have to be thinking about this thread as we are out in public. Net reaction is i don't think i would think much of anyone male or female getting to friendly.
times are different than when i grew up.
People are odd about their kids. I remember a few years ago driving down the street from my house, a little girle still in diapers playing basically
in the gutter along the sidewalk, no adults present, and thinking My God, where are they?
I would rather be overprotective than the other way.
.If you never had any kids yourself How the hell did you have grandkids and great grandkids ?
My observation is that the ratio of jerks and misfits in the parental population is far, far higher than the ratio of dangerous and difficult folks in the population over 65 years of age. Noting the above post, in any particular case the encounter between a little kid and an elderly person could be the most positive thing that happened for that kid - and the parents - that day. Old folks have no entitlements beyond those of other folks, and certainly are not entitled to engage little kids without acceptance by the kids' parents. It certainly seems that some important social concepts have been weakened or lost during the past 30 or 40 years, and some posts here reflect such loss.
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Imagine, an opportunity to teach a child respect for his elders and the boundaries of acceptable discourse within a public sphere. And then using that opportunity to tell someone to “...[bleep] off.”

^Southerner^^^
Originally Posted by CCCC
My observation is that the ratio of jerks and misfits in the parental population is far, far higher than the ratio of dangerous and difficult folks in the population over 65 years of age. Noting the above post, in any particular case the encounter between a little kid and an elderly person could be the most positive thing that happened for that kid - and the parents - that day. Old folks have no entitlements beyond those of other folks, and certainly are not entitled to engage little kids without acceptance by the kids' parents. It certainly seems that some important social concepts have been weakened or lost during the past 30 or 40 years, and some posts here reflect such loss.

Let's try this again...

The positive interaction that ends without harm can be detrimental to the child.

It instills in the child that talking to strangers ends well. The parent that allows it is teaching by example. This is not a good thing to teach small children.

I'm going to break my arm patting myself on the back over this. Seems this PSA was more necessary than I'd realized.
If you never had any kids yourself How the hell did you have grandkids and great grandkids ?

We gonna need a birds and the bees thread before this is all over.
Yup

Originally Posted by Armednfree
This was the basic attitude to other peoples children when I was growing up.
You can tell people to go away politely...
Originally Posted by night_owl

You can TRY to tell people to go away politely.

As I clearly illustrated in this thread.
Don't do this.

IMHO, this depends on the environment and the age of the child.. When child's with parents it can be OK if done properly and with some distance involved, i.e., not nose-to-nose... Also is/can be done in small-town cafes or at local sporting events..... less and less so re: the bigger and bigger the city.. FWIW..
Originally Posted by night_owl

You can TRY to tell people to go away politely.

As I clearly illustrated in this thread.

Have to agree with Clark (Travis would never do such a thing). Having strangers constantly ask your kids "what's wrong with him.... is he drunk?" gets irritating.

Teach your children to seek out some angry looking dude who says F-off kid when they get lost. Tell them to stay away from the little old gray headed Grandmas. GW
Originally Posted by oldtimer303

Teach your children to seek out some angry looking dude who says F-off kid when they get lost. Tell them to stay away from the little old gray headed Grandmas. GW

I took my kids to see Mt. Rushmore once. We were having breakfast within view of the monument. Cuttin' up and enjoying ourselves. An old lady gets up and walks over to our table and interrupts everyone mid-conversation as she leans on the table. My kids just stare at her as she explains SHE used to be a school teacher (like anybody gives two fugks) and that she wanted them to tell THEIR school teacher that they had breakfast with four United States Presidents at the same time when they got back from summer vacation.

My kids just looked at me and went back to eating.

Then she looked at me. I said "Will do. Thanks" and she slowly turned and walked away.

My kids still laugh about that goofy ol' bitch.
It's apparent from this thread that a lot of folks think that because 90% of the population is in the white zone that it's best to be in the white zone.

I don't interact with other people's kids unless invited to, or forced into it. Anyone who does that around my brood gets the stinkeye. I don't want or need that distraction from my job. Some people do need to be reminded to MYOB. If they have to be told twice, well.......
Originally Posted by Redneck
Don't do this.

IMHO, this depends on the environment and the age of the child.. When child's with parents it can be OK if done properly and with some distance involved, i.e., not nose-to-nose... Also is/can be done in small-town cafes or at local sporting events..... less and less so re: the bigger and bigger the city.. FWIW..

Mmmm, nope.

Just don't do it.
Originally Posted by FreeMe
It's apparent from this thread that a lot of folks think that because 90% of the population is in the white zone that it's best to be in the white zone.

I don't interact with other people's kids unless invited to, or forced into it. Anyone who does that around my brood gets the stinkeye. I don't want or need that distraction from my job. Some people do need to be reminded to MYOB. If they have to be told twice, well.......

Very well put, Mr. FreeMe.

Very well put.
I don't know why, but I must have a special "look" or something.

Little kids, especially babies, tend to fixate on me. It's one of those slack-jawed gaping stare kind of things. I get it all the time. It's probably my size. Parents usually catch it, and I usually say something to the kid or with a baby, I wave. Some get shy. Most smile or laugh. I've never once had a parent glare at me.

On the other hand, I never make a move towards the kid, and I always move away and let the family get on with their day.

I do get an occasional thank you when a kid's having a trantrum in the store, and I walk up and say, "You better mind your mother." That shuts the little buggers up really quick. Many moms have thanked me.
PSA

Next time a strange kid smiles at you, do this....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by oldtimer303

I took my kids to see Mt. Rushmore once. We were having breakfast within view of the monument. Cuttin' up and enjoying ourselves. An old lady gets up and walks over to our table and interrupts everyone mid-conversation as she leans on the table. My kids just stare at her as she explains SHE used to be a school teacher (like anybody gives two fugks) and that she wanted them to tell THEIR school teacher that they had breakfast with four United States Presidents at the same time when they got back from summer vacation.

My kids just looked at me and went back to eating.

Then she looked at me. I said "Will do. Thanks" and she slowly turned and walked away.

My kids still laugh about that goofy ol' bitch.

Sounds like she politely told you to get your heathrens under control and you weren’t smart enough to even realize that was what she was doing.
A guy I knew had the brightest orange hair I have ever seen. He combed it in a pompadour.
Toddlers and especially black kids reacted in amazement at the sight of him.
I don't allow others w/in arms reach of me if at all possible. Letting someone that close to my family is unthinkable.Many would call me paranoid but in today's world I call it good practice. If I could predict the future or thought that all humans share my values I might relax somewhat.

mike r
Originally Posted by shaman
I don't know why, but I must have a special "look" or something.

Little kids, especially babies, tend to fixate on me. It's one of those slack-jawed gaping stare kind of things. I get it all the time. It's probably my size. Parents usually catch it, and I usually say something to the kid or with a baby, I wave. Some get shy. Most smile or laugh. I've never once had a parent glare at me.

On the other hand, I never make a move towards the kid, and I always move away and let the family get on with their day.

I do get an occasional thank you when a kid's having a trantrum in the store, and I walk up and say, "You better mind your mother." That shuts the little buggers up really quick. Many moms have thanked me.

[Linked Image]

Sounds like she politely told you to get your heathrens under control and you weren’t smart enough to even realize that was what she was doing.

^^Southerner^^^
Nothing worse than some idiot who describes his kids that are in the process of hanging off the chandeliers and making life miserable for everyone within two counties as “...cutting up and having a little fun.”

If you don’t want people to say anything to your kids, then discipline the little schits.
Nothing worse than some idiot who describes his kids that are in the process of hanging off the chandeliers and making life miserable for everyone within two counties as “...cutting up and having a little fun.”

If you don’t want people to say anything to your kids, then discipline the little schits.

I'm surprised to discover you're an old busy-body.

I always figured you were just a run of the mill f a g g o t.

I'm surprised to discover you're an old busy-body.

I always figured you were just a run of the mill f a g g o t.

Ah, I see. You are one of these idiots who thinks that your kids are special. Control the little bastards ( probably not a figure of speach in your case) and no one will think to say a damned word to them.

Funny how you have people trying to talk to your kids all the time. That should probably tell you something right there.

Ah, I see. You are one of these idiots who thinks that your kids are special. Control the little bastards ( probably not a figure of speach in your case) and no one will think to say a damned word to them.

Funny how you have people trying to talk to your kids all the time. That should probably tell you something right there.

It's called being white and good looking.

Something you can't relate to.
Yeah look at those little terrors just hoping and praying JoeBob will be along to tell them all about the job he used to have.

[Linked Image]
Idunno......looks like maybe they aren't sufficiently anesthetized.
Yeah look at those little terrors just hoping and praying JoeBob will be along to tell them all about the job he used to have.

[Linked Image]

The first thing I would tell him is how to use a fork so that he doesn’t look like an animal.
Lmao

That would go over really well for you I’m sure.
Originally Posted by Redneck
Don't do this.

Mmmm, nope.

Just don't do it.

Well, in today's world, you're probably right... Too bad that trust is not a human factor any longer..
The first thing I would tell him is how to use a fork so that he doesn’t look like an animal.
Lmao
That would go over really well for you I’m sure.

Fork usage? looks fine to me.

Dunking his sausage in the ketchup? You need to nip that in the bud.

Ill go no further with that for obvious reasons.
Tell the parents of crying children that their kid needs a good shaking. The whole store goes silent.

mike r
So I guess if I come upon a youngster in a supermarket or mall that has obviously lost his parent, I ought to walk on by and think "Your on your own kid""
Some people get paranoid about non problems.Maybe you should just keep your kid locked up at home. One a$$ hole teaching his kids to grow up the same telling people to fugoff.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
So I guess if I come upon a youngster in a supermarket or mall that has obviously lost his parent, I ought to walk on by and think "Your on your own kid""
Some people get paranoid about non problems.Maybe you should just keep your kid locked up at home. One a$$ hole teaching his kids to grow up the same telling people to fugoff.

Sure thing, gramps.

Tell the parents of crying children that their kid needs a good shaking. The whole store goes silent.

mike r

Brings to mind the time a few years back and I felt like shaking the holy crap out of the young teenybopper acting mother of a little boy of about 3 +/- years old that was crying and sobbing hard and had been for a good while. It wasn't a temper tantrum kind of crying but a pitiful hurting kind of crying. The kid was laying down inside the cart, looked feverish, had a persistent congested cough. It was pretty obvious that he wasn't well at all. All the while his young mother and another young girl about the same age were gabbing and giggling endlessly showing each other whatever back and forth on their 'smart' phones, totally oblivious the little boy's crying and misery.

Wow quite the educational thread. I was raised to the line of thought that everyone was innocent till proved guilty. Liberals believe your not guilty of anything unless caught and convicted even if you are guilty of doing something that you aren't convicted of. When you have a CDL you have to prove your innocence by a piss test for drugs or your guilty of using controlled substances. And now for the final insult if you talk to a child you are a pedo. JFC damned glad in 9 months I am retiring and only coming to town twice a month for supplies . On the internet I can hear all of you, not so face to face. JFC what have we become?

[Linked Image]

Those kids are just pissed they are Florida

Let's try this again...The positive interaction that ends without harm can be detrimental to the child.
It instills in the child that talking to strangers ends well. The parent that allows it is teaching by example. This is not a good thing to teach small children. I'm going to break my arm patting myself on the back over this. Seems this PSA was more necessary than I'd realized.
Yes, maybe try again - because you are not projecting much logic or sense here. Maybe some positive interaction that ends without harm could wind up being harmful to the child - that seems a vague assumption or proposition - but all sorts of seemingly harmless interactions might be harmful to that particular child. You seem to be straining after a gnat on this stuff - maybe trying to salvage an OP that still seems quite odd. Your broken arm may have come from naught. I think that you can do better than this - much better.
Like I said, it’s a PSA.

Not a discussion.

Let's try this again...

The positive interaction that ends without harm can be detrimental to the child.

It instills in the child that talking to strangers ends well. The parent that allows it is teaching by example. This is not a good thing to teach small children.

I'm going to break my arm patting myself on the back over this. Seems this PSA was more necessary than I'd realized.

So, what you're saying, is that if a child participates in an activity, where there is the slightest chance that harm could later ensue, then you should prevent that child from participating in that activity. Especially if the child actually experienced something positive from that activity.

Like riding in a vehicle. Or swimming, bicycle riding, skateboarding, shooting, running....

All of which are much more likely to end up with childhood harm (certainly up to and including death) than abduction from strangers. Thus, all should be off limits, per the 'flave logic system.

Right?

So, what you're saying, is that if a child participates in an activity, where there is the slightest chance that harm could later ensue, then you should prevent that child from participating in that activity. Especially if the child actually experienced something positive from that activity.

Like riding in a vehicle. Or swimming, bicycle riding, skateboarding, shooting, running....

All of which are much more likely to end up with childhood harm (certainly up to and including death) than abduction from strangers. Thus, all should be off limits, per the 'flave logic system.

Right?

Nope.

Not even close.

Go back and read the thread two more times.

Right?

Nope.

Not even close.

Go back and read the thread two more times.

Except, that it is a concise summary of your logic.

Exactly.

1) Looking at the numbers, at present there's an approximately 1 in 40,000 chance that a child in the USA might be the victim of a "stereotypical kidnapping" while between the age of 0 and 18. (76,000,000 children * 18 years/100 incidents yearly)

2) Due to the chance of this happening, deflave does not want his children to have any interaction with a stranger. Negative interaction would mean abduction. While a positive interaction would mean that deflave's children would possibly learn that interaction with a stranger is not dangerous. And thus might not feel anxiety when some person does have evil intentions towards them.

3) Children are exposed to activities that are statistically tens to hundreds times more likely to end in injury or death to the child. These activities do include: Riding in a vehicle, swimming, bike riding, running etc...

4) Children that have only have positive experiences while participating in the activities in 3) above, may learn to not treat them as the dangers that they (statistically speaking) truly are: Vehicle deaths account for the majority of childhood deaths in the USA from ages 5-19. Drowning kills more children 1-4 than any other accidental cause. Suffocation in a crib is the leading cause of accidental death in infants.

Ergo, were deflave's thoughts to be logical, not only would talking to strangers be off limits, so should the above activities in 3)

But like I said, if you'd phrased your PSA as "Hey, if someone says "Please don't talk to my kids". Just listen to them and move on", well then you'd likely have 100% buy in. Your kids, your parenting. Got it.

But don't frame it as being logically consistent, or that for a man to talk to a child is tantamount to pedophilia.

Exactly.

1) Looking at the numbers, at present there's an approximately 1 in 40,000 chance that a child in the USA might be the victim of a "stereotypical kidnapping" while between the age of 0 and 18. (76,000,000 children * 18 years/100 incidents yearly)

2) Due to the chance of this happening, deflave does not want his children to have any interaction with a stranger. Negative interaction would mean abduction. While a positive interaction would mean that deflave's children would possibly learn that interaction with a stranger is not dangerous. And thus might not feel anxiety when some person does have evil intentions towards them.

3) Children are exposed to activities that are statistically tens to hundreds times more likely to end in injury or death to the child. These activities do include: Riding in a vehicle, swimming, bike riding, running etc...

4) Children that have only have positive experiences while participating in the activities in 3) above, may learn to not treat them as the dangers that they (statistically speaking) truly are: Vehicle deaths account for the majority of childhood deaths in the USA from ages 5-19. Drowning kills more children 1-4 than any other accidental cause. Suffocation in a crib is the leading cause of accidental death in infants.

Ergo, were deflave's thoughts to be logical, not only would talking to strangers be off limits, so should the above activities in 3)

But like I said, if you'd phrased your PSA as "Hey, if someone says "Please don't talk to my kids". Just listen to them and move on", well then you'd likely have 100% buy in. Your kids, your parenting. Got it.

But don't frame it as being logically consistent, or that for a man to talk to a child is tantamount to pedophilia.

Holy schit.

Can people be this stupid?

The more this thread goes on the more I should be thanked. It was clearly needed.
I probably encourage my kids to speak to strangers. Not weird old people randomly, but if I happen to chat with someone I’ll include them and have them contribute.

I’d bet 9 times out of 10 a pedophile knows his victim by name and spends time with him/her. Family member, daycare worker, coach, etc...

Yep.

My daughter's have been taught to give a firm handshake, and look people in the eye.
Also, to be cautious and aware of their surroundings.
The 12 year old has trouble paying attention, but, she is 12.

Also, they understand what to do if alone. They were schooled on the rules, if alone outside.
Looks like it's gunna be a nice day in South Dakota......
Some old lady did that to my kid many years ago.
She was 3 and we were out shopping around X mas time.
I had a hold of my kids hand and the old bat left.

Later, my kid tugs a bit and I look and that same old bat was crouched around a corner trying to get my kid to leave me to come to her.

I never let go of my kid.
With my free hand looking at the woman eye to eye I reached into my coat and put it on my 9mm.
She was gone in a flash.

Reported to security. Dunno what happened after that.

Remember as a HS kid some abduction attempt at big mall.
Media (80's) said it never happened.
Cop said it did.

Learned back then that malls/stores a fave place for sickos to snatch kids.

Holy schit.

The more this thread goes on the more I should be thanked. It was clearly needed.

And they are not gonna get it because they don't want to get it.

They continue to point at the rare chance of the catastrophic possibilities with children/stranger interaction but fail to realize it's more so the EVERYTHING that's involved.

Some here seem they would have more respect when encountering your dog in public than your child.

A few just might have some short skeletons rattling around deep in their closets.
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Originally Posted by DocRocket
It’s weird.

grin

Concur. smile

Not sure about the azzhat thing. Maybe a well meaning Helicopter Dad.

Happy Father's Day BTW!

Helicopter Moms and Helicopter Dads... fancy new way of saying "neurotic parent in process of actively sabotaging their kid's psychosocial development". Can't stand 'em. Happy dad's day back atcha, btw.
Nothing says that you’re raising a well rounded child like telling a complete stranger who is merely being nice to “Frick off” in front of said child.

Except, that it is a concise summary of your logic. - - - - -But don't frame it as being logically consistent, or that for a man to talk to a child is tantamount to pedophilia.

Holy schit. Can people be this stupid? The more this thread goes on the more I should be thanked. It was clearly needed.

Where's the "stupid"? Just keep begging for the "thank you" - and you may be able to convince yourself that your OP was needed.

Exactly.

Holy schit.

Yes, apparently you can be this stupid.
question for all of you with children , what am i supposed to do when children ask me if they can pet my dog ? that happens very frequently and since they usually walk in a groups i let them do it and stand aside !
Eight hours on the range today (a real range not an old dumb-fugk range) with eight other shooters.

This topic came up at lunch and it was unanimous. Don't talk to kids you don't know.

TTT.
Originally Posted by persiandog
question for all of you with children , what am i supposed to do when children ask me if they can pet my dog ? that happens very frequently and since they usually walk in a groups i let them do it and stand aside !

Tell 'em to fugk off.

If it’s my kid? You let her pet the dog. If it’s Deflave’s? You tell him to keep his little dick beaters to himself before you kick his ass.

And they are not gonna get it because they don't want to get it.

They continue to point at the rare chance of the catastrophic possibilities with children/stranger interaction but fail to realize it's more so the EVERYTHING that's involved.

Some here seem they would have more respect when encountering your dog in public than your child.

A few just might have some short skeletons rattling around deep in their closets.

Sounds about right.
We taught our kids and grandkids to never approach a dog we dont know. The only dogs that they go up to are the neighbor's dogs across the street. They have 2 escape artists poodles the 10 lb kind. When we go to the park and see dogs they want to pet they have been taught to always ask the owners. A couple of times owners have told the kids no,that they weren't kid friendly. Our grandkids always ask us first and only with us do they approach strangers.Kids asking is the only way to go imho.

If it’s my kid? You let her pet the dog. If it’s Deflave’s? You tell him to keep his little dick beaters to himself before you kick his ass.

Well I never had to threaten my kids like that but I did/do raise them not to approach strange dogs or their owners.

Mostly because it's rude. But also because it can be dangerous.
To those that are unaware:

JoeBob hates discussing kids because she was born infertile.

Sore subject and all that.
that was the first culture shock in boise , kids here are very different than california , they should call them "galapagos kids " , some of them even ask me the dog name , male or female . etc..
that was the first culture shock in boise , kids here are very different than california , they should call them "galapagos kids " , some of them even ask me the dog name , male or female . etc..

When they get older they'll be referred to as "idiots."

Tell 'em to fugk off.

No.....tell the parents to fugg off.

A kid who asks to pet a strange dog has been failed by his parents. Badly.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Tell 'em to fugk off.

No.....tell the parents to fugg off.

A kid who asks to pet a strange dog has been failed by his parents. Badly.

I was trying to make a funny.

But yes. I agree with you.
Although, if somebody did tell kids like that to fugk off, it just might save their life one day. So maybe it's not such a bad idea after all.
Yes. Good advice.

Holy schit.

Of course they can...look at the audience.
Although, if somebody did tell kids like that to fugk off, it just might save their life one day. So maybe it's not such a bad idea after all.

I doubt it. If your kids follow your example, their odds of getting beaten to death or killed by a meth addicted prostitute are way higher than average.

Depends, ...

We talking pit-bull, pit-bull mix, or their like?

Or, one known to be a opportunistic leg humper?

I doubt it. If your kids follow your example, their odds of getting beaten to death or killed by a meth addicted prostitute are way higher than average.

This PSA really bothers you doesn't it?

"Methinks she doth protest too much."

This PSA really bothers you doesn't it?

"Methinks she doth protest too much."

Seeing you quote Shakespeare is like watching a talking dog explaining calculus.

Depends, ...

Yes.

Let us have the children memorize a dog breed chart based on number of reported bite incidents over the course of the last few years.

As opposed to "DON'T BOTHER THE GUY WALKING HIS FUGKING DOG!"

Seeing you quote Shakespeare is like watching a talking dog explaining calculus.

We don't need you to explain that everything I do is amazing.

Depends, ...

Yes.

Let us have the children memorize a dog breed chart based on number of reported bite incidents over the course of the last few years.

As opposed to "DON'T BOTHER THE GUY WALKING HIS FUGKING DOG!"

That's what my folks told all their house guests but they were referring to me.
... the problem is not with an adult who means no harm talking to a child, the problem is you and deflave who have a paranoia and dislike of most strangers they come across...

This.

Deflave often exhibits wisdom. This PSA case is not one of them.

Too many people go around with a chip on their shoulder, afraid to look a stranger in the eye, too caught up in their own misery and suffering to utter the simplest friendly comment. It should be perfectly OK for an older person to make a friendly comment to a child who is in the company of an adult. It is a shame that some feel this should be discouraged, and much more of a shame that some feel obligated to meet such a friendly gesture with hostility and vulgarity in front of a child. What does that teach them?

Originally Posted by pal
... the problem is not with an adult who means no harm talking to a child, the problem is you and deflave who have a paranoia and dislike of most strangers they come across...

This.

Deflave often exhibits wisdom. This PSA case is not one of them.

Too many people go around with a chip on their shoulder, afraid to look a stranger in the eye, too caught up in their own misery and suffering to utter the simplest friendly comment. It should be perfectly OK for an older person to make a friendly comment to a child who is in the company of an adult. It is a shame that some feel this should be discouraged, and much more of a shame that some feel obligated to meet such a friendly gesture with hostility and vulgarity in front of a child. What does that teach them?

Don't be stupid.
What do you like to say to the strange children?

Want some candy? Wanna see some kittens?

Do you like movies about Gladiators?

Ever seen a grown man naked?

Stuff like that?
If a large dog approaching a small child is alarming,why is an old dude approaching a small child ok by a lot of fire members?
[Linked Image]
It appears that some don't like being told how to act, most of whom reveal why they do in fact need to be told. It is not your grandfathers world anymore and reality checks can be painful. If a stranger thinks it is OK to approach me or mine uninvited they will be actively discouraged. A firmly stated NO can frequently help maintain reasonable distance.

If your world differs from mine do what you choose but stay away from me.

mike r
It appears that some don't like being told how to act, most of whom reveal why they do in fact need to be told. It is not your grandfathers world anymore and reality checks can be painful. If a stranger thinks it is OK to approach me or mine uninvited they will be actively discouraged. A firmly stated NO can frequently help maintain reasonable distance.

If your world differs from mine do what you choose but stay away from me.

mike r

Well there's a crazy idea.
Eight hours on the range today (a real range not an old dumb-fugk range) with eight other shooters.

This topic came up at lunch and it was unanimous. Don't talk to kids you don't know.

TTT.

If there are eight at my range, I turn around and go home. Then go earlier the next day.
Only poor people shoot at ranges.

Wish you were there to show us all the ropes.
Originally Posted by ironbender

TTT.

If there are eight at my range, I turn around and go home. Then go earlier the next day.

Shoulda thought of that.

Wish you were there to show us all the ropes.

Why would I be there? I don’t has the poors.
It’s kind of an exclusive club.

Doubt you could hang.
It’s kind of an exclusive club.

Is that what you are calling the geeks who gather in your basement to play Call of Duty?
That was a real zinger, JoeBob.

A real zinger.
That was a real zinger, JoeBob.

A real zinger.

Meh...
Southern bred?
Southern bred?

Your wife? What, you’ve been down there six...eight months? By now I’m sure...
I’ll take that as a yes.

I’m shocked.

LMAO
Oh and for the record, Miami isn’t the south.

Folks down here have class.
About a month ago, my wife and I were out eating dinner and enjoying some live music on the outdoor patio of a local burger place. There were quite a few people and quite a few kids. about 5 younger kids were playing in the gravel near our table and one was innocently throwing rocks and dirt up in the air and having a good time. It was enough that the next table got up and left as the kid was getting dirt on them.... eventually it migrated to our table. I had to get up and correct the kid. I was hoping the parents would show up, but they didn't. I had to correct the kid a little while later and the mom showed up.... I asked her politely to watch her kids and keep them from ruining everyone else's time.

I've also corrected a kid for muzzle control at the gun range because pops wasn't doing it. I didn't want him shooting anyone. I was again tactful and respectful.

You know, sometimes I might think a kid has a cool hat on and might tell him so.

In general, interaction with people is probably a good thing. It'll teach your kid social skills and develop confidence.

The more I think about it, if you really don't want people talking to your kids, you should probably just not take them out in public. That's probably not good for them though.
Originally Posted by WoodrowFCall
About a month ago, my wife and I were out eating dinner and enjoying some live music on the outdoor patio of a local burger place. There were quite a few people and quite a few kids. about 5 younger kids were playing in the gravel near our table and one was innocently throwing rocks and dirt up in the air and having a good time. It was enough that the next table got up and left as the kid was getting dirt on them.... eventually it migrated to our table. I had to get up and correct the kid. I was hoping the parents would show up, but they didn't. I had to correct the kid a little while later and the mom showed up.... I asked her politely to watch her kids and keep them from ruining everyone else's time.

I've also corrected a kid for muzzle control at the gun range because pops wasn't doing it. I didn't want him shooting anyone. I was again tactful and respectful.

You know, sometimes I might think a kid has a cool hat on and might tell him so.

In general, interaction with people is probably a good thing. It'll teach your kid social skills and develop confidence.

The more I think about it, if you really don't want people talking to your kids, you should probably just not take them out in public. That's probably not good for them though.

I’m with you on all of that.

Except the hat thing.

soundproof plastic bubble
How do you know the children are strange if you don't talk to them.
Originally Posted by 5sdad

soundproof plastic bubble

Are you describing your dwelling?

Because that would make sense if you are.
Originally Posted by poboy
How do you know the children are strange if you don't talk to them.

You cant tell by how they are dressed?

As of yesterday...they make skinny sweat pants.

Frogsnacks.
I don't start conversations with young children that I don't know. However, I do feel obliged to respond to a youngster if they ask me a question, or if they address me in a manner that indicates that a response is expected. I will usually talk with them if they want to talk some more, but most conversations run out of gas pretty quickly. Kids get bored talking to old farts.

A bit less these days.
Originally Posted by mudhen
I don't start conversations with young children that I don't know. However, I do feel obliged to respond to a youngster if they ask me a question, or if they address me in a manner that indicates that a response is expected. I will usually talk with them if they want to talk some more, but most conversations run out of gas pretty quickly. Kids get bored talking to old farts.

^^^Normal.^^^

A bit less these days.

You can’t judge levels of class.

You’re southern trash.

A bit less these days.

You can’t judge levels of class.

You’re southern trash.

Oh, I beg to differ. I can judge quite well.

Hahaha. For sure.
Ahhh, it’s the hermit life for me!!

I think it was the late, great, uncle Shel Silverstein that wrote,

"Do I love children? Yes I do! Baked, broiled, or in a stew!"

( Read that in Playboy. uncle Shel’s nursery rhymes. Like 1965).

Got any good stories?

Reminds me of Shotgun Joe Biden's excuse for putting his PETER TWEEZERs all over little girls.

Yeah, right.

Oh, I beg to differ. I can judge quite well.

You probably are a good judge.

Of COCK!
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Hahaha. For sure.

You two wouldn't know an iPhone from a set of tits.
They even wrote a song about it.

Sung by a young woman who was constantly molested by old men...........

Originally Posted by jaguartx

Hahaha. For sure.

You two wouldn't know an iPhone from a set of tits.

Let's be honest,... To some folks they are one and the same...
Originally Posted by mudhen

^^^Normal.^^^

I've always liked talking to older people.

-Kellory
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
They even wrote a song about it. Sung by a young woman who was constantly molested by old men..........
Tanya Tucker was raped? I read this so I looked at her article on Wickipedia and saw nothing about it. Surely if she'd had something illegal done to her it would have been mentioned. I'm not sure of the accuracy of Wickipedia but what am I missing here?
How dave will know his PSA was successful.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire