Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 19 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 18 19
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I did not read through all 16 pages, so tell to fugg off or go slog through the entire thread if this has been covered....

What age kids are we talking about here?

At what point in the child’s development are they allowed to interact with strangers in your presence?

I am a middle aged bachelor with no children, so what the fugg do I know....but, I have always felt that it is important to talk with the parent first. Let the parent size you up. The child will take cues from the parent and that is how children learn what is appropriate interaction and what is not. If you do not allow them to interact at all, how will they recognize danger when you are not around?

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
GB1

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I probably encourage my kids to speak to strangers. Not weird old people randomly, but if I happen to chat with someone I’ll include them and have them contribute. I’d bet 9 times out of 10 a pedophile knows his victim by name and spends time with him/her. Family member, daycare worker, coach, etc...
I required my kids (and now grandkids) to talk to store clerks and other business people and make transactions themselves with me present. I wasn't about to let them grow up shy. What I didn't go for was unsolicited strangers engaging them or family members with unusual interest in them. Absolutely I wouldn't let adults take them off ATV riding or swimming. Those 2 activities are trouble. My lady doctor suggested that her 12 year old son would like to come out and hunt with me to kill a deer. I told her I would be glad to take him but she or his dad would have to come also.

Could not agree more.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by smokepole

I'd agree that touching someone else's kid is out of bounds but I thought your thread was about talking to someone else's kid??

It is.

Don't talk to kids you don't know.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MadMooner

That old Mexican woman still talking to Jesus about ol’ El Diablo Blanco!

Keep in mind I'm a very, very, very laid back person and when I use the word fugk, it's not always a derogatory thing.

But there was some serious culture clash at that moment. All I was trying to convey was don't talk to or touch my kid. I think it was perceived differently due to Texans being so fugking stupid and thin skinned.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my wife went to town one morning saw a dog barking at the ditch . when she got close she saw a small kid in the ditch she knows who lives and they don't have kids . she called 911 the dispatcher said get the kid away from the dog it was cold and raining at the time she did not want to put the kid in her car . dispatcher said it was ok just stay on the phone and don't move . there was a bad wreck that morning took 22 min. for the police to get there she was scared that she would be caught by a parent with there kid in her car . cops got there and took about 10 min. to find her home .32 min. that mother did not know her 2/3 year old went out the front door. the little girl could have been one that was not found. it scared the $hit out of my wife

IC B2

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by reivertom

I know it's really weird, but some old people are Grandparents or just love children in general. It was very common for old people to make over children and pat them on the head when I was a kid. Now, because of the perverts, everybody thinks if you do that you are a weirdo.

I had grandparents and parents.

I'm a Gen X'er.

Never once saw anybody involved in my rearing approach a kid they didn't know and ask or say stupid fugking schit. And they sure as fugk didn't try to pat them on the head.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rost495

Because some folks are nice. And some folks are overly paranoid. Which, really, probably there is a right to be this day and time. But ONCE AGAIN, we go blame EVERYONE in a category(guns) rather than punish the individuals that do whatever the crime is...

Geez.

I'm not punishing anyone for anything.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
[quote=smokepole] I was in an HEB in South Texas and some old, old, old lady walked up to my son and and gently touched his hair and started saying some schit about eggs and eyes.

I take my left arm and gently push her hand away and said "Hey lady. What the fugk are you doing? Get your own fugking kid."

She looked at me like I was El fugking Diablo in the flesh. I didn't know what to say so I didn't say anything. Grabbed my son's hand and went to check out. There was literally a circle of Mexicans just staring at us with their mouths open.

Later at work I explained the story and everyone busted up laughing. Apparently it's some sort of Mexican voodoo bullschit. Evil eyes drain power so you gotta touch the kid or something. I told them all if their wives or mothers do that schit they better stop or they're gonna end up face down in the Nueces. Not everyone is born and raised in bum fugk Mexico.

LMAO. Touching somebody else's kid? WTF? Fugk off old lady.

The Major Frank Burns model of parenting grin

The little Ol’ Abuelita was prob’ly trying to be nice which was prob’ly obvious to regular folks.

All that being said, when I’m with the grandkid I generally feel the need to have a firearm close at hand. Anyone or anything tries to mess with that kid and ITS ON. ‘Spect most folks feel the same way.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Gotta show the wife this. Shes the most civil, polite person I've ever met. You're in public and someone starts trying to interact with one of the kids uninvited, she will flat light somebody up! She'll usually give them the stink eye first and if they proceed it's [bleep] go time.
I put aside the fact that it could be some kind gentle old person who's getting their feelings hurt, mainly because of the fact that I'm callous and self involved and could really care less. We've tried to teach our kids to not give a fugg about their fellow man. Makes life much simpler and less painful

Good wife.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Tracks
Seems there's a whole worlds of people always ready to tell others to fuqk off for some reason or other.
What I have trouble understanding is how I manage to miss all the fights that get started that way.
Not to say I doubt what I read, but I kinda do.

Every time I have an altercation my wife shakes her head and says "Only you."

Probably some truth in that.

IC B3

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RDW

Me and the other PM on my project were having lunch yesterday, and the 2-3 year old girl who was jabbering and laughing in the booth behind us got out of the booth before momma to leave, she looked up at me and I said "hey cutie"....I kid you not, she held her fist out for a bump and I obliged. It was funny as hell and cute at the same time.

Not the type of scenario my PSA is addressing.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by slumlord
A lot of the old timers on this forum are avoiding this thread.

laughing

[Linked Image]

Yeah.

Havre, MT had a "balloon animal guy" that roamed around town. As in, literally approached strange children in public and asked them if he could make them a balloon animal.

He got an education as well. And seemed very confused by it. As did everyone else. FLAVE was the ass hole. Not the creepy fugk walking around town trying to make balloon animals for kids.

Society as a whole is dumber than fugk.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Depends on the context and location to me. Also, your definition of "old". If it's some eighty-year-old, few of them are gonna be spry enough to make away with all but the youngest of kids. As somebody else said, if it's some sixty-year-old, that's a lot different. I also figure lots of the true old people only know about half of what they're babbling about anyway. Lots of them want to talk to children because they've reverted to their second childhood themselves. If I'm in a nursing home with the kids, I expect them to get swarmed by oldsters, starved for attention.

Oh, and I'd say no offense to some of the oldsters on here, but IDGAF whether they're offended or not, so there's that, Polesmoker, lvmiker, Blowsinger, et al.

It's not just about the level of inherent danger. It's about instilling in the mind that you don't talk to strangers.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by savage24
I did not read through all 16 pages, so tell to fugg off or go slog through the entire thread if this has been covered....

What age kids are we talking about here?

At what point in the child’s development are they allowed to interact with strangers in your presence?

I am a middle aged bachelor with no children, so what the fugg do I know....but, I have always felt that it is important to talk with the parent first. Let the parent size you up. The child will take cues from the parent and that is how children learn what is appropriate interaction and what is not. If you do not allow them to interact at all, how will they recognize danger when you are not around?

I don't know that I have a set age.

My oldest daughter is 12. I don't think any adult should be approaching a 12 year old but when an old Puerto Rican woman says she likes her blonde hair while we stand in line at Wal-Mart, I don't react the same as I would a 50 year old man.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Barkoff

When will your 4 yr old son ever be alone?

My son is going on 18. He's alone all the time.

I think. Hell I don't know what he does.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by stxhunter
yesterday evening we had a family with 5 small kids come up to look at the fish we had hanged for pics at the marina. the kids had all kinds of questions about the fish, we had the dad get his cooler and gave him 4 nice snapper. i don't normally talk to kids i don't know except a hi if they wave or say hi.

Rog got hustled out of four fish! Grin...

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Now you are just getting nasty, I guess the intelligent debate is over with..have a nice day.

It's not a debate it's a public service announcement.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Havre, MT had a "balloon animal guy" that roamed around town. As in, literally approached strange children in public and asked them if he could make them a balloon animal.

OK, that guy would set off my radar warning too.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Professional services automation (PSA) software for businesses.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's not just about the level of inherent danger. It's about instilling in the mind that you don't talk to strangers.

You could try looping this in the background as reinforcement.

Page 9 of 19 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

215 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 300_savage, 264mag, 204guy, 27 invisible), 14,559 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,957
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.