Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Rooster7
now we have an adorable little granddaughter and I'm not sure I'll feel the same way if some stranger comes up and paws on her.

What's been obvious in this thread is there has been many state that they feel they possess some sort of right of entitlement for engaging random children in public places.

What's been absent is current parents of minor children stating that it's perfectly OK for random people to engage their children in conversation any time, any place.

The sense of entitlement amongst the elderly is epidemic...

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffA

Originally Posted by Rooster7
now we have an adorable little granddaughter and I'm not sure I'll feel the same way if some stranger comes up and paws on her.

What's been obvious in this thread is there has been many state that they feel they possess some sort of right of entitlement for engaging random children in public places.

What's been absent is current parents of minor children stating that it's perfectly OK for random people to engage their children in conversation any time, any place.

The sense of entitlement amongst the elderly is epidemic...
Not just in this either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Not just in this either.

You mean like parking in the fire lane at the shopping center, it's not really for fire trucks, it's special parking for old f's that don't have handicap permits.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

You know, if your PSA had gone along the lines of "If someone asks you not to talk to their child, just comply" you'd probably have had 100% buy in. It's understandable that everyone has different parenting styles/methods/philosophies.

As is, well it's worth exactly what we paid for it...

Parents shouldn't have to ask anyone to stop engaging with children they don't know. It's common sense.

And it's obvious from many of the responses here that a lot of old fugks don't possess that common sense.

Which brings us to my PSA.

You're welcome.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JeffA
I don't have a horse in this race, I don't approach others children nor have children that are approached.

But I might have an idea as to why the OP responds so aggressively.

I have had residences in Florida for most of my life, almost 20% of Florida's population is composed of retirees. Most probably have grand children some where.
A lot of these old f's are lonely and bored, getting out in public could easily be some of the only human interaction some get.

I see it when I shop and really just about anywhere you go here.
Old f's approaching children...all the time...I mean with almost epidemic regularity.
Babies are like old f magnets but any kid 12 and under is potential prey.

It's often "you remind me of my grand son" or isn't she cute, look at that hair, as they reach out to touch.

This crap is cringie at best in most all of these situations.

I see it handled in different ways, most often a luke-warm to cold smile, maybe a verbal acknowledgment but in short the accompanying parent blow's these old f's off as quickly as possible. You can always tell it isn't the first time for the kid and sure as hell isn't gonna be the last.

I really feel for the kids involved at times, you see them look at their parent with that special "save me it's happening again" look in their eyes.

It's not OK, and it's getting more not OK everyday.

If you are one of these types you need to try and limit it to a smile and a wink and be on your way when the over whelming desire comes upon you.

I can't say this odd activity has ever stood out to me anywhere other than here in Florida.
I'm sure it's just due to the frequency of seeing it happen here.

With the OP and his family being recent transplants to the retirement capital of the world here I think I get it...being it's such a regular occurrence here it could be like "culture shock" of sorts for a guy with kids....

Dressing your kids more appropriately when they head out in public could slow the roll...hint.....

f=folks

Actually I don't find Florida much worse than other places. But the old people and number of hispanics is certainly a factor.

The worst was Montana. The absolute worst. Probably because it is so rural.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave

You're welcome.

Should've called it something else. Old women are basically harmless and if you say "PSA" to an old man he'll be thinking you mean something entirely different.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by deflave

You're welcome.

Should've called it something else. Old women are basically harmless and if you say "PSA" to an old man he'll be thinking you mean something entirely different.

Intended harm has nothing to do with it.

I figured old people would remember the days of of PSA's from network television but apparently the 80's are already a blur.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
80's? Hell, I remember Amos & Andy in black and white. The only blur I see is gen X-ers thinking they had an original thought.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Decent women engaging kids doesn't bother me. Men from teenager on up showing an inordinate interest in children make me suspicious. There are a bunch of misfits out there hiding under a pretty thin veneer. And it is true that it is most often acquaintances and even family, (uncles, step-dads, siblings, etc.). Talk to your local child protection officials. You will be surprised.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i never had kids myself, but i raised two stepdaughters, and a son. and about nine grandkids, and three or four great grandkids.
i have a five year old great grandson flying in tomorrow with his dad, who i both consider a grandson, and son, long story.
we will be out and about. I have been paranoid forever about their safety. I remember one of the granddaughters as we were 4wheeling one day i was talking about running wild as a kid in the county, no body thought it odd. She said she wished she could have done that too.
My comment was society was a lot different today than in the small area i grew up in where everybody knew each other. surely there were predators in my time as a kid, but if they were found out, they probably would have been dead.

I don't talk to kids not of the clan. Mostly i can't stand the screaming little brats. And i grew up with the thing kids are seen, not heard.
But i think i would have my radar go on high alert if anyone approached one of the youngins to endulge them in conversation without asking.
my five year old great grandson is to me a super good looking kid. Now i am gonna have to be thinking about this thread as we are out in public. Net reaction is i don't think i would think much of anyone male or female getting to friendly.
times are different than when i grew up.
People are odd about their kids. I remember a few years ago driving down the street from my house, a little girle still in diapers playing basically
in the gutter along the sidewalk, no adults present, and thinking My God, where are they?
I would rather be overprotective than the other way.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 06/18/19.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I seem to remember my Grandparents generation "The Greatest" didn't really pay any attention to other kids that weren't their blood or those that were family friends when I was around them. Other than the passing your baby is so cute from my Grandmothers. My Grandfathers couldn't have careless about other kids and seems kind of annoyed by them whenever I was with them out in public usually at the hardware store or lumber yard.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Imagine, an opportunity to teach a child respect for his elders and the boundaries of acceptable discourse within a public sphere. And then using that opportunity to tell someone to “...[bleep] off.”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Makes me nervous. I was in Walmart with Kaiden when he was about 18 month old. He was seated in the cart. This older dude, mid 60's I'd say, comes by and says, " How do you get him to be such a good boy?" I responded, don't remember what I said.

Going through the store I catch this guy three times going by the end of the isle waving at Kaiden. I'm keeping Kaiden tight, which is what I did anyway, but I'm thinking, "Please you old MFer, do not make me shoot you in the head!"

I know pedophiles, I know the personality. I mean real pedophiles, one's that have a sexualized love for children.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FatCity67
I seem to remember my Grandparents generation "The Greatest" didn't really pay any attention to other kids that weren't their blood or those that were family friends when I was around them. Other than the passing your baby is so cute from my Grandmothers. My Grandfathers couldn't have careless about other kids and seems kind of annoyed by them whenever I was with them out in public usually at the hardware store or lumber yard.

This was the basic attitude to other peoples children when I was growing up.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i never had kids myself, but i raised two stepdaughters, and a son. and about nine grandkids, and three or four great grandkids.
i have a five year old great grandson flying in tomorrow with his dad, who i both consider a grandson, and son, long story.
we will be out and about. I have been paranoid forever about their safety. I remember one of the granddaughters as we were 4wheeling one day i was talking about running wild as a kid in the county, no body thought it odd. She said she wished she could have done that too.
My comment was society was a lot different today than in the small area i grew up in where everybody knew each other. surely there were predators in my time as a kid, but if they were found out, they probably would have been dead.

I don't talk to kids not of the clan. Mostly i can't stand the screaming little brats. And i grew up with the thing kids are seen, not heard.
But i think i would have my radar go on high alert if anyone approached one of the youngins to endulge them in conversation without asking.
my five year old great grandson is to me a super good looking kid. Now i am gonna have to be thinking about this thread as we are out in public. Net reaction is i don't think i would think much of anyone male or female getting to friendly.
times are different than when i grew up.
People are odd about their kids. I remember a few years ago driving down the street from my house, a little girle still in diapers playing basically
in the gutter along the sidewalk, no adults present, and thinking My God, where are they?
I would rather be overprotective than the other way.
.If you never had any kids yourself How the hell did you have grandkids and great grandkids ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My observation is that the ratio of jerks and misfits in the parental population is far, far higher than the ratio of dangerous and difficult folks in the population over 65 years of age. Noting the above post, in any particular case the encounter between a little kid and an elderly person could be the most positive thing that happened for that kid - and the parents - that day. Old folks have no entitlements beyond those of other folks, and certainly are not entitled to engage little kids without acceptance by the kids' parents. It certainly seems that some important social concepts have been weakened or lost during the past 30 or 40 years, and some posts here reflect such loss.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Imagine, an opportunity to teach a child respect for his elders and the boundaries of acceptable discourse within a public sphere. And then using that opportunity to tell someone to “...[bleep] off.”

^Southerner^^^

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by CCCC
My observation is that the ratio of jerks and misfits in the parental population is far, far higher than the ratio of dangerous and difficult folks in the population over 65 years of age. Noting the above post, in any particular case the encounter between a little kid and an elderly person could be the most positive thing that happened for that kid - and the parents - that day. Old folks have no entitlements beyond those of other folks, and certainly are not entitled to engage little kids without acceptance by the kids' parents. It certainly seems that some important social concepts have been weakened or lost during the past 30 or 40 years, and some posts here reflect such loss.

Let's try this again...

The positive interaction that ends without harm can be detrimental to the child.

It instills in the child that talking to strangers ends well. The parent that allows it is teaching by example. This is not a good thing to teach small children.

I'm going to break my arm patting myself on the back over this. Seems this PSA was more necessary than I'd realized.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Hubert
If you never had any kids yourself How the hell did you have grandkids and great grandkids ?

We gonna need a birds and the bees thread before this is all over.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup

Originally Posted by Armednfree
Originally Posted by FatCity67
This was the basic attitude to other peoples children when I was growing up.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (7mm_Loco, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 19 invisible), 14,540 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,986
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.