Home
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/458907-mormon-leaders-ban-guns-in-church

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has tightened rules on carrying guns in church, barring the practice after long discouraging it, according to the Associated Press.

The new policy was rolled out the first week of August and first distributed to Mormon leaders in Texas, where a new law allows licensed handgun owners to carry their guns in places of worship. But it will be distributed to local leaders in other states as well, according to church spokesman Daniel Woodruff.

“Churches are dedicated for the worship of God and as havens from the cares and concerns of the world,” the new policy states. “With the exception of current law enforcement officers, the carrying of lethal weapons on church property, concealed or otherwise, is prohibited.”

The new rules also come after a Mormon church was the site of a shooting in July 2018 in Fallon, Nev., where the shooter opened fire and killed one man and wounded another.

Matthew Bowman, the Howard W. Hunter Chair in Mormon Studies at Claremont Graduate University in California, told the AP the move reflects how the church has changed from its Western roots.

“It is illustrative of the church’s slow evolution away from being a largely Western rural church which it has been for a long, long time toward a more cosmopolitan, international organization,” he said.

A majority of the church’s members currently live outside the U.S., many in nations that do not have a culture of gun ownership like the U.S.

“In any organization, you have people who might desire to protect or take the law into their own hands, and I think the church in this policy is saying, ‘Please don’t. Church is a place of peace,’” Scott Gordon, president of the volunteer organization FairMormon, told the AP.
They're just giving the crazy's a new venue. Peace is relative to strength and defense. Fools abound.
Mormon church is asking for problems.
Another gun-free zone was badly needed.
Please don’t. Church is a place of peace,’” Scott Gordon, president of the volunteer organization FairMormon, told the AP."
Accord to reality, apparently not, considering the recent shooting. All they have done is handicap the legal legal use of a gun.
Gun free zones = target rich environment
I explained to someone in my church that there is probably 4 guns in our church every Sunday. They could not comprehend that, which I understand because my town is safer than Mayberry. We don't even have an Otis.
My church from when I a kid now has several armed men scattered purposefully through tactical locations every service. It is a conscious plan. About half are off duty cops. Nobody would notice. Another acquaintance is a retired big city detective who served as head of security for a mega church some would recognize. Again, as unobtrusive as possible.

A gun free zone is an invitation. Am frankly astounded at the Mormon announcement.

I'm sure that someone stopping a mass-murderer in an LDS temple would get excommunicated . . . not !
Yeah....they are just begging for a disaster of epic proportions...
"The new rules also come after a Mormon church was the site of a shooting in July 2018 in Fallon, Nev., where the shooter opened fire and killed one man and wounded another."

"and I think the church in this policy is saying, ‘Please don’t. Church is a place of peace"

Makes perfect sense........... crazy
If a shooter tried to shoot up our church, the peace would resume in 10 seconds. The shooter likely wouldn't be resting in peace, however. It would be way too hot for that.
Guess I can never enter... ya know my hands are lethal weapons. Bunch of idiots.

Of course if you believe, then you know the world will end again and that we are a day closer every day, but one would almost have to assume we are further past the halfway mark by a long shot IMHO. Which really is not a bad thing at all. But those that have to live through all of those times....
It is called "concealed carry" for a reason. And church is a perfect place to practice it. Maybe with the exception of the baptismal bathtub.
Might as well just start painting bullseyes over the altars.
Who ever said they were thinkers?
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I'm sure that someone stopping a mass-murderer in an LDS temple would get excommunicated . . . not !

You might be surprised.
Originally Posted by Morewood
Gun free zones = target rich environment

Gun free target zone.

DF
I think I would carry first and worry about church policy later. I mean, when will it be discovered? Hopefully after the carrier has stopped an active shooter event. Not much to say or do in retaliation for carrying in church after a successful resolution.
What are the stones in the hat called? That's some crazy chit!

Seer Stones! Lol
It seems if a member of the congregation had to pop a cap then the place of peace thing was already out the window at that point.
If a CCW, in spite of those rules, saves the day, I don’t see the hierarchy being in a position to squawk.

Easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

DF
Originally Posted by rost495
Guess I can never enter... ya know my hands are lethal weapons..

That you big squeezer?
Well I won’t go anymore
Originally Posted by hanco
Well I won’t go anymore

I never started

I had a kid friend who wasn't allowed to drink sweet tea. I figured out at age 8 that mormons were retards. Takes some people their whole life. crazy
We must take bold, comprehensive steps to combat gun violence ! So let's make more places gun free zones. What could go wrong ?
Originally Posted by 22250rem
We must take bold, comprehensive steps to combat gun violence ! So let's make more places gun free zones. What could go wrong ?

blush

Look at past mass shootings. What percentage were in gun free zones?

Facts don't lie. Those cowards pick easy target rich opportunities, would pick another place if they thought they'd get resistance. They want to create havoc and fear. That atmosphere would be different if the targeted populace started returning fire. Results would be WAY different, IMO.

DF
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
I think I would carry first and worry about church policy later. I mean, when will it be discovered? Hopefully after the carrier has stopped an active shooter event. Not much to say or do in retaliation for carrying in church after a successful resolution.

Mormons are typically unquestioning rule followers. Prohibited means prohibited.

P
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

blush

Facts don't lie. Those cowards pick easy target rich opportunities, would pick another place if they thought they'd get resistance. They want to create havoc and fear. That atmosphere would be different if the targeted populace started returning fire. Results would be WAY different, IMO.

DF

I'm not real computer savvy......... Otherwise I would have had a sarcasm icon on the end of that.
Originally Posted by RickyD

You might be surprised.

The Mormon church has been known to turn a blind eye on occasion. Take polygamy for example. They outlawed it a long time ago because congress wouldn't admit Utah as a state until they did. They say they'll excommunicate polygamists but there are lots of them. The church just looks the other way. This is the Utah based church, not one of the fundamental offshoots.
Just adding another 'target-rich' environment... If I was carrying concealed, they'd never know if I had it with me or not... And I WOULD have it with me..
"but I say to you, offer no resistance to one who is evil"

Seems they are keeping to the theme.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by rost495
Guess I can never enter... ya know my hands are lethal weapons..

That you big squeezer?

lmao
Originally Posted by MadMooner

The full context is
Mt 5:39 But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

A slap on the cheek is a serious insult but it's not damaging. It stings but doesn't hurt you. Jesus is saying that if you're insulted, walk away. He isn't talking about self defense.

blush

DF

They always hit the soft targets, just as Mandela did when he was hitting churches and schools.
Anyone that has been on the tactical side in the military knows how to harden a target.
What a bunch of hypocrites- - - - - -look up the "Nauvoo Legion" sometime!
I'll bet there contributions go way down.
As well as attendance
Originally Posted by MadMooner

He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:6 shocked
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

You might be surprised.

The Mormon church has been known to turn a blind eye on occasion. Take polygamy for example. They outlawed it a long time ago because congress wouldn't admit Utah as a state until they did. They say they'll excommunicate polygamists but there are lots of them. The church just looks the other way. This is the Utah based church, not one of the fundamental offshoots.

Ya reckon they consider packing worse than polygamy?

Don't think I could afford a second wife, must less a third or a fourth.. shocked

Ammo and guns are a LOT cheaper... cool

DF

You might be surprised.

I am thinking excommunicated would be better than shot and dead, or my wife and kids shot and dead.

But that's just me.
Doubt I’ll ever be inside an LDS house of worship, unless I mistake it for a steakhouse since they’re all designed to look like a fancy Sizzler, but if I am I damn sure will be armed.

....unlike the pioneers that were slaughtered at Mountain Meadows, who I bet wished that this policy had been in force at the time. 😬
Didn't Jesus whip some ass when it needed whipping, money changers or the like? Why would He have a problem with a follower defending the faithful against someone with horrible intent?
Originally Posted by mathman
Didn't Jesus whip some ass when it needed whipping, money changers or the like? Why would He have a problem with a follower defending the faithful against someone with horrible intent?

Yep, platted a whip, a definite assault weapon, surely not defensive.

And, he did kick some serious arse, turned over tables, went ballistic. And it worked; he got their attention...

DF
Ammo and guns are a LOT cheaper... coolDF
Right and they don't fuss and cry or get jealous if you show favoritism.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Doubt I’ll ever be inside an LDS house of worship, unless I mistake it for a steakhouse since they’re all designed to look like a fancy Sizzler, but if I am I damn sure will be armed.

....unlike the pioneers that were slaughtered at Mountain Meadows, who I bet wished that this policy had been in force at the time. 😬

Yeah, Mountain Meadows was mass murder.

You think they'd have learned something.

DF
Doubt I’ll ever be inside an LDS house of worship, unless I mistake it for a steakhouse since they’re all designed to look like a fancy Sizzler, but if I am I damn sure will be armed. ....unlike the pioneers that were slaughtered at Mountain Meadows, who I bet wished that this policy had been in force at the time. 😬
You don't understand. It was ok to kill them. They were Methodists and had a big herd of cattle and a good bit of money with them.
Well, that's were mass shooters will go from now on. No one will be able to shoot back.
It seems if a member of the congregation had to pop a cap then the place of peace thing was already out the window at that point.

If they feel that way, you know they aren't going to instruct people to stay down if the shooting starts. Someone walks through the door shooting and someone with a gun jumps up between the good guy and the bad guy, they are liable to get shot. Some preachers don't take to an education and appreciate it. At least not in our church. I brought that up to him and he just looked at me. They apparently have no plan and are good with that. Personally that doesn't sit will with me, but I don't go to that church. I think they are inviting trouble. Just what they need is another gun free zone for the loonies to focus in on.

Here in Idaho, I suspect there are several guns in each service, including mine.
Yeah, where I attend church there is a security plan. They don't talk about it, but I've heard a whisper or two from some buds, well represented by U.S. Marshals, State Police, Sheriffs, etc., some retired, some not.

They kinda know the drill if you get my drift... There would be some returned fire pretty quick. As they say, when seconds count, the police are minutes away... I think things would already be heated up before the police arrived.

DF
They will learn, just like everyone else has learned (or refused to learn) that when you declare your space "gun free" bad men with guns will come and shoot you.
So, whatever Mormon hating freak wants, he's got fame handed to him on a silver platter. I give it two years.

Yeah, Mountain Meadows was mass murder.

You think they'd have learned something.

DF

And that was Mormons that did the killing.
Just spoke to a couple LDS members I work with here in Utah. They were not happy when I read this to them. Both said they will still be carrying.
Why don't they just advertise to the World, and all of the violent maniacs, that they are all unarmed and ready to be slaughtered.
Originally Posted by Springcove
Just spoke to a couple LDS members I work with here in Utah. They were not happy when I read this to them. Both said they will still be carrying.

Concealed means concealed, eh?
I was carrying at my grandmother's funeral. By Ohio law, the head of the church must KNOW and approve, or I have broken a law just by carrying inside a house of worship.
I asked the minister thier views on concealed carry, and was told that there are at least 2 in the congregation most days. I mentioned the fact that they must know and approve for it to be legal, and I too have a CCW.
The stole came out, and i was blessed on the spot. Permission granted.
Carrying isn't a bad idea, i have Concealed carry to the church a few times and it has been all good. no one can predict when evil comes.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yeah....they are just begging for a disaster of epic proportions...

PREZACTLY
I believe the answer is yes...
Originally Posted by reivertom
Why don't they just advertise to the World, and all of the violent maniacs, that they are all unarmed and ready to be slaughtered.

Yeah right, they have been trying to get non members to come to church for decades, it’s unlikely that will start now.

It’s funny how people that know the least about a church or organization will tell you the most about it...
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Springcove

Concealed means concealed, eh?

Yep.

Doubt they’ll be the only ones.

What big leaders don’t know won’t hurt them. May actually save them if and when fit hits the shan.

DF
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
It is called "concealed carry" for a reason. And church is a perfect place to practice it. Maybe with the exception of the baptismal bathtub.

Baptism by sprinkling maybe?
Originally Posted by IZH27
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Baptism by sprinkling maybe?

Guess that's what stainless is all about.

DF
Gun free zone is an invitation for some nut to shoot it up. They are making a huge mistake IMO.
I refuse to go anywhere that I can't protect myself.
Would Jesus carry?
If you have lived in the northwest for very long. and know very many Mormons, you know its more of a problem "if you show me yours, Ill show you mine". Taking their roscoes out during church meetings etc.

If you don't think they cant deal with violence, check out history, Johnson's Army,, Porter Rockwell, Morman Militia, J. Smith role in Federal government on death of US president, why the lower states in the west have such straight borders etc.The 3 military bases along the wasatch front aren't there to take up space.

Their church is also international, hard to tell the ramifications from that side.
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Would Jesus carry?

He does the Jedi thingie
Did they tie their ban on guns in with the law that prohibits having more than one wife?
Originally Posted by champlain_islander

Which is why I don't go a places that I'd like to. My wife doesn't understand, but I tell her that she will if the chit ever hits the fan.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Did they tie their ban on guns in with the law that prohibits having more than one wife?

No, youre thinking of the one about marrying your neighbor's 13 year old daughter.
Which, was defeated in committee.

pubescent poontang still rules the day

But by God they can make some good bread and they are just the kindest neighbors.

Pepsi and sweet tea are still The Debble
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by JamesJr

No, youre thinking of the one about marrying your neighbor's 13 year old daughter.
Which, was defeated in committee.

pubescent poontang still rules the day

But by God they can make some good bread and they are just the kindest neighbors.

Pepsi and sweet tea are still The Debble

Back when I was 15, we had a neighbor with a 13 year old daughter that I would have married......lol.
Would Jesus carry?

Nah, no need.

He’ll just plat a whip when he needs one. He obviously knew how to use it.

DF
Originally Posted by champlain_islander

Me too but I don’t let company policy dictate where or when I’m allowed to exercise my Constitutional rights. Nobody knows I carry except my family and close friends but they carry too 😁 so it’s highly unlikely that anyone would ever know I’m carrying until I’ve used it to stop some crazed maniac. If, by some off chance it was discovered I was carrying against store policy and I’m asked to leave then I’ll quietly and not so politely...leave. Mine and my family’s life is more important than some stupid and likely illegal policy, so I’m willing to place my trust in Sig Sauer and everyone else including the store policy can kiss my redneck ass. My CCW will only be used to protect myself, my family and other innocent victims should some dorky and awkward millennial decide to seek internet immortality, otherwise it stays concealed. Same goes for my wife, she carries everywhere she goes and I’d not want to be in her sights because she’s very competent and accurate with her Model 36. 😉. I think the amount of shooting and practice that my family does gives us a sense of security and the satisfaction of knowing that we’re comfortable, competent and aware of the responsibility that comes with carrying a firearm. Our oldest qualified Expert in the USMC every time with rifle and pistol. Our middle son and our daughter shoot a lot and are capable of running all common weapons whether it’s a bolt, semi, revolver, rifle and pistol.....they are also not someone that I’d want to be in front of because they are extremely accurate with everything I throw at them. Our daughter broke 23 targets shooting trap the first time and has never shot less than 20 out of 25 when we shoot trap......that’s using my 28” Browning Gold Hunter that doesn’t fit her, I can’t imagine how good she’d do with a shotgun that fits her. All the shotgun training we’ve done up until a few months ago has been home defense training with an 18.5” Mossberg and buckshot. My daughter really got into shooting trap and will be doing a lot of duck hunting with dad and his buddy. 😉

My Constitutional rights supersede stupid, cover your ass policies and I don’t GAF who likes it. Until they start issuing permits to exercise ones first amendment rights then I’ll continue to act as though I’m a free man and I’ll apologize to no one. 🖕
Would Jesus carry?

"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one"

Yes , I think He would.
I'd rather carry so i can make it to the church and while i am in the church i will be able to protect myself and other.
I hope people aren't listening to pastors and popes on this one, these people are not God and they don't have the power to redeem anyone's soul.
I called for a welfare check on a couple of family members after reading this..... Thanksgiving dinner will be animated this year!

The church has been making decisions lately that are alienating a LOT of the old faithful. Enough that I've been wondering if there isn't enough tinder there to start a serious split.

I believe cigarettes and alcohol are prohibited too, but there are still those that smoke and drink...
So is gambling and Wendover was built on their losings.
The Mormon church doctrine also discourages sport hunting so I guess all that orange in the Utah hills in October are the gentiles.
A place that supposedly worships God, takes away your “God given right”.

How ironic…

Their actions alone prove they don’t believe in God or they would respect their member's inalienable God given rights.

Pass the plate…

Come on Mitt, Mr. Mormon hierarchy leader, tell us how much you’re a supporter of the 2A you worthless RINO Communist scum…
Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: but I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
It's all been said. So don't get caught unable to protect yourself and those you love, please. Be Well. Rusty
Didn't Jesus whip some ass when it needed whipping, money changers or the like? Why would He have a problem
with a follower defending the faithful against someone with horrible intent?

Yep, platted a whip, a definite assault weapon, surely not defensive.

And, he did kick some serious arse, turned over tables, went ballistic. And it worked; he got their attention...

DF

Nothing in scripture indicates that Jesus actually struck anyone with the whip,
chances are he just intimidated/drove the money lenders who surely knew what a whip could do to them.

And Jesus wasnt 'carrying'...he had to go to the trouble of assembling a whip.

yet some folks seem to think he was an Indiana Jones...
I knew a Mormon, that guy loved guns and hunting. I bet that didn’t set good with him
Originally Posted by Goosey
Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: but I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

I ain't turnin' my back on you and I sure as hell ain't pickin' up the soap............
Originally Posted by viking
I knew a Mormon, that guy loved guns and hunting. I bet that didn’t set good with him

I'm sure it doesn't sit well with many. I was the only non-Mormon in a machine shop. They like thier guns, and we would often go shooting together as a group.
Originally Posted by Goosey

I'll do just that. Then, it's my turn and it won't be a slap. It'll be one serious ass whuppin'. ou dumb jackass.
Paul B.
Originally Posted by viking

My first wife was LDS so are the kids we had. After the divorce I was allowed no say in their upbringing. Just pat the support and and alimony.

Nonetheless, after many years I got se see my kids after they'd reached adulthood. My daughter now lives in Utah and a few years back my late wife and I had gone up to visit. They threw a get together for us and the women were one one side of the room doing girl talk and us guys on the other doing guy talk. The conversation quickly turned to guns and those guys knew their stuff. One interesting thing about LDS and this came from the man who was my father in law the church believed every man (church member) should be armed. I know the guys I met in Utah sure believed in that. I find it very strange that the leaders of the church would now take that stand.
Paul B.
The Mormon church is no longer dominated by white western Americans. There are now more members in other countries (think poor, third world) than in the U.S. Their values have changed to reflect their tithe payers. Follow the money.
Lots and lots of Mormans around these parts. Probably the biggest religion in SW Idaho. The ones I know sure as heck never heard that sport hunting was discouraged by church doctrine.

Unless, perhaps, sport hunting is different than subsistence hunting. Because these guys are serious about filling the freezer.
Originally Posted by jnyork
Would Jesus carry?

"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one"

Yes , I think He would.

Jesus didn't need a weapon. He came to die but no power on earth could kill him until it was time. He could have called on 10,000 angels if need be. He did, however, instruct his followers to arm themselves.
Bunch of puzzies
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Jesus didn't need a weapon. He came to die but no power on earth could kill him until it was time. He could have called on 10,000 angels if need be.
He did, however, instruct his followers to arm themselves.

But did he suggest appropriate mindset and training to compliment caring a sword? ..

ie; ...men carrying are like men wearing pants its expected, but good men? [Magnificent Seven ]

lets remember everyone deserted Jesus and fled for their own safety. (Mark 14:50)

what good are swords in the hands of show pony cowards?

Their business. I won't go out of my way to defend any of them either.
© 24hourcampfire