Home
Hey guys so I’m a general contractor and I live in sf bay California. I hate the politics and the people and the hunting sucks but it’s hard to argue with the money you make here. We have a small property here in California and we have horses on it which is pretty awesome. My dads buddy owns a hunting property in Idaho but lives and runs his own company in California so he can work here most months but during elk and deer season he stays in Idaho and just runs the business from there. I was thinking about trying to do the same thing but in Montana or Wyoming and than just hiring a ranch foreman to look after the property and my livestock when I’m in California working. Than since I make California money I can live a comfortable life but go out there regularly and be there for most of hunting season. What do you guys think of this plan? I will eventually move to that property but while I’m young and still can work hard and make money I think I should. Do any of you guys do this?
I hear Minnesota is great.
Be sure to buy plenty of fence wire, posts and "no trespassing" signs eek
Stay in Caliotoe, Idaho doesn't want or need you or your kind
I don't think anybody in California should be allowed to buy property in any other state.

Nothing good ever comes from it.
Montana or Idaho sound perfect for ya!!!
Texas is full.
I'm going to assume you guys don't work for the Welcome Wagon.

Guess how many fingers I'm holding up.
I looked at a map and I see Mendocino National Forest, Tahoe National Forest, Plumas National Forest, and El Dorado National Forest. Do they allow hunting? I didn't even look at state land.
What a bunch of A holes...…...…...…...…. If folks are like that I WOULD not to want to move to YOUR state. JUst as bad as the liberals don't even know the guy, painting anyone from CA with the same brush. Duche something...
Originally Posted by smithrjd
What a bunch of A holes...…...…...…...…. If folks are like that I WOULD not to want to move to YOUR state. JUst as bad as the liberals don't even know the guy, painting anyone from CA with the same brush. Duche something...

Perfect, keep that mindset.
Don't move here.

Kentucky is notorious for its percentage of azzholes and it's getting worse every day without an influx of refugees from California.

The banjer pickin' alone that erupts here every day at sundown is enough to keep most people out.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Don't move here.

Kentucky is notorious for its percentage of azzholes and it's getting worse every day without an influx of refugees from California.

The banjer pickin' alone that erupts here every day at sundown is enough to keep most people out.

^^^^^^^^^
Ya
What he said.

Tennessee sells extra banjo,s to kentucky.
Hey California

[Linked Image]
I spent 5 years in LA, eagle rock, and Pasadena. Why not Ohio? We are a bit more.....hospitable.
However, you had best look into taxes, and residency issues. You will probably have to pay taxes in your state of residence and the state where the money is made. Check it out with professionals.
I believe there are also issues with requiring that you make %51 of your money from the land, or some other nonsense, to be an instate hunter. Otherwise, you might have to pay for out of state permits for hunting your own land. Things to consider and check with the experts.
Originally Posted by 700LH
Hey California
[Linked Image]

Holy schit!!!

LMFAO!!!
When I was living in Lexington this young couple from California rented the house next door.

My neighbor across the street was from Rockcastle County and could seriously pick a guitar.

The first night they moved in he came over to visit,....brought his guitar,..and we welcomed 'em to the state with liquor inspired songs while we sat on the front porch.

I recall belting out a particularly inspired rendition of "Man Of Constant Sorrow" at around midnight while he strummed the hell out of his old Martin.
If you’re interested in Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Utah or Montana give me a call
Originally Posted by renegade50
Hey California
[Linked Image]

Holy schit!!!

LMFAO!!!

You are right
No Body Likes Me
I bought property in Arizona and every Commyfornian that purchased property in our Community up there is Fighting the Arizonans from turning it into another Commyfornia they hate us so bad that they want to turn the area into Commyfornia just to get rid of us.
and they all call them selves Conservatives
No matter were you go there will be People that want to control every move you make.
ya gotta fight it when it comes your way.
Originally Posted by Morewood

I sure don't mind folks (like you) moving here that want to leave the politics of California behind them, and live and vote to keep those policies away. I even welcome them.

But by and large that hasn't been the case. They fugg up one place, then move to the next to escape it, and be damned if they don't fugg the new place all up to, by making it just like where they came from.

It's not just California either.

I've seen it happen from all the illegals too. Move here from Mexico and then make it just like where they came from... crazy
You will have to buy nonresident hunting license.
I am not in any way defending folks as a whole from CA. LOL I know better. Not all of the folks are the same. I wound up in CA when I retired from the Navy, got a very good job that It made no sense to leave. About to retire, and I am going to get the hell out of CA. Property taxes are $650 a month.. 3/4 ton truck plates (a 2014) were $675. I grew up in the Midwest and have those values. Have 3 1/2 acres in MN as well. Going back to where I grew up. hoping it will be something like what I remember, folks helping each other when needed or asked.
Hey California

[Linked Image]

That pretty much says it all.
LOL!!!

I always enjoy these threads, now.

Id just find a nice piece of property, build a slab with cover at first to park an RV. Then over the years build it up.

Dont know why your asking here when you posted your Dads buddy seems to have it all worked out.
I say go for it. Just be aware, arid rangeland or even a lot of irrigated pasture won't produce what feed gets wasted on a one mile hwy shoulder in coastal CA .
I don't think anybody in California should be allowed to buy property in any other state.

Nothing good ever comes from it.

That could be said of the southerners too. Ted Turner bought up about half a million acres in Nebraska, fugged stuff up big time. People hate his azz, especially when he brought Hanoi Jane here with him. OP sounds like a snobbish liberal azzhole just like him only from Kommiefornia which is worse.
Losers sure hate and fear successful people, why is that?

mike r
OP, if you think you want to and can pull it off, fine. Just don't go bragging what you left behind and/or bringing Ca. politics with you. Do things discreetly, fit in as best you can[highly recommended!], and, well just fit in. DO NOT be one that fits 700LH's suspicions. You will not be taken to. And I'm from Ca., so, I've been painted with a broad brush. I can take it.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Texas is full.

Of what? Mexicans? Illegals? Democrats?
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Texas is full.

Of what? Mexicans? Illegals? Democrats?

All the above. Liberals one and all... Filling up daily.
Originally Posted by jnyork

You noticed that too ?
Spent a good deal of time in Montana this summer and met a bunch of nice folks from all over this great country.

I fit in rather well, despite telling all them fuggers how we get schit done back home. wink

All joking aside, drop the term "California money" from your vocabulary.
Originally Posted by WTF

You noticed that too ?

I would. Too many self important azzholes that think they have some right to hunt my property without even asking first. We call 'em "trespassers". (Still can't figure out why there is no open season for 'em yet.)
You might look into a solar powered electric fence system for it as well, and make sure to wire it to the "no trespassing signs, to remind folks to leave your signs alone as well. I would suggest locking gates at access points while you're at it. (Can you tell I don't like trespassers? If you don't have the courtesy to even ask, the answer is always NO. )
Originally Posted by Higbean
Spent a good deal of time in Montana this summer and met a bunch of nice folks from all over this great country.

I fit in rather well, despite telling all them fuggers how we get schit done back home. wink

You're last sentence is accurate to say the least.
Originally Posted by double_LUNG_em
Hey guys so I’m a general contractor and I live in sf bay California. I hate the politics and the people and the hunting sucks but it’s hard to argue with the money you make here. We have a small property here in California and we have horses on it which is pretty awesome. My dads buddy owns a hunting property in Idaho but lives and runs his own company in California so he can work here most months but during elk and deer season he stays in Idaho and just runs the business from there. I was thinking about trying to do the same thing but in Montana or Wyoming and than just hiring a ranch foreman to look after the property and my livestock when I’m in California working. Than since I make California money I can live a comfortable life but go out there regularly and be there for most of hunting season. What do you guys think of this plan? I will eventually move to that property but while I’m young and still can work hard and make money I think I should. Do any of you guys do this?

Holy Crap!

You are on the wrong site for this post.
Originally Posted by rifletom

You're last sentence is accurate to say the least.

Yes, it is a misnomer, since the wages ARE about 1.5 times what I make here, but the cost of living is about 4x the cost. Harder to make a living there. Nice weather, some good folks, great place to park the beach (right next to my sea shell collection, since I keep it scattered upon the beaches of the world. wink ) but I do not miss the politics, or the gang activity.
Somehow I knew this thread wasn't going to end well for ol double lung.
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Holy Crap!

I equate all the running down of California on the 24HCF to the chest thumping Dad that thinks he's gonna shoot the first boy lays a hand on his daughter.

I think he's in the perfect place honestly.
The hunting and fishing in Michigan suck big time, you're better off going to Colorado.
Yep, life's a bitch and then you die.
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by WTF

You noticed that too ?

I would. Too many self important azzholes that think they have some right to hunt my property without even asking first. We call 'em "trespassers". (Still can't figure out why there is no open season for 'em yet.)
You might look into a solar powered electric fence system for it as well, and make sure to wire it to the "no trespassing signs, to remind folks to leave your signs alone as well. I would suggest locking gates at access points while you're at it. (Can you tell I don't like trespassers? If you don't have the courtesy to even ask, the answer is always NO. )

You missed the point.
He's trolling.

But in the spirit of brotherhood I'll give my unwarranted $.02. I don't really agree with folks living in one state and owning recreational property in another. It's one thing to have a vacation home or whatever. But then the scams come in with residency and resident tags and taxes et al. If it's so grand then [bleep] live there. Property taxes on non resident owners should be in my humble opinion of many orders of magnitude higher than them that actually live there. Cali aside, same holds true anywhere. There many examples out there where local folk born and bred can't afford to buy a house in the town they grew up in, simply because the price of real estate has gotten retarded from shidt eating [bleep] that make bank in a high cost of living area, then retire and bring there out of state money and politics with them to their "rural paradise" that they then turn into mini______ .

Not a popular sentiment I know, but I'll back it.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
He's trolling.

But in the spirit of brotherhood I'll give my unwarranted $.02. I don't really agree with folks living in one state and owning recreational property in another. It's one thing to have a vacation home or whatever. But then the scams come in with residency and resident tags and taxes et al. If it's so grand then [bleep] live there. Property taxes on non resident owners should be in my humble opinion of many orders of magnitude higher than them that actually live there. Cali aside, same holds true anywhere. There many examples out there where local folk born and bred can't afford to buy a house in the town they grew up in, simply because the price of real estate has gotten retarded from shidt eating [bleep] that make bank in a high cost of living area, then retire and bring there out of state money and politics with them to their "rural paradise" that they then turn into mini______ .

You're right, every major league sports figure should live where they work too, no more traveling for games, they can just phone it in and work from home..... right,?
He's trolling.

As much as Montanans claim to hate Californians, I am really surprised nothing has been done regarding carpet baggers and property taxes.

As I've been told, it aint just locals not being able to afford houses where they grew up (happens everywhere) but locals having to get a second or third job to afford the property taxes on the family homestead after someone pays high dollar for a place down the street.

Seems you folks would wanna pass laws that prevent higher taxes, but apparently not?
He's trolling.

Reckon we're guilty of just that you speak. Waaay back when my sister was NCAA and FIS competitive we bought a place in Squaw Valley so she could experience/train on diametrically different snow than we get here. Met lots of locals who couldn't afford to ski or live locally, or certainly not on the lake. Sold it after 12 years for a freaking obscene profit...and brought that money back home to Idaho, where we are now six generations, been here since 1904... I killed some nice deer and bear there, and don't apologize for it a bit.

So, is me investing money in California, all the while working for conservatism and Constitutionalism, the same as liberal sleazebags buying here in my state, or in yours, trying to bring their values the same as I did back then?

To me the answer boils down to the fight. I believe I'm right so have no guilt. "They" think I'm wrong so have no guilt.

That many, even here, don't realize the depth and importance of that fight, and are apologetic to the enemy makes me hang my head. I read on here where guys say their wives, siblings, etc are liberals, and they put that blood or friendship before ideology...and I fear we may be lost...
Like vampires, ya wanna keep a low profile.

Buy a place where you want and STFU! Or lie.

Friends of mine, when they started traveling (Club Med the first couple years). learned on their first trip to tell fellow travelers that they were from New Jersey. If they told them "Alaska", the questions never ended.... New Jersey? ,.... not one further question... smile
Up North for sure, bigger bucks
You can buy whatever property you want wherever you want, but, be aware that, in Wyoming, you will be considered a nonresident for hunting purposes until you are domiciled and have continually resided in Wyoming for 365 consecutive days (90 days for active duty military stationed here). So, there won't be any advantage other than owning an asset unless you actually move here. That means higher license fees, having to draw for just about everything, and lower odds. You also can't hunt in a wilderness area without a guide.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Am-I-a-Wyoming-Resident:

Can I apply for a Resident License?
To qualify for any resident game and fish license, preference point, permit or tag, a person shall be domiciled and shall physically reside in Wyoming for one (1) full year (365 consecutive days) immediately preceding the date the person applies for or purchases the license, preference point, permit or tag and the person shall not have claimed residency elsewhere for any other purpose (including, but not limited to, voting, payment of income taxes, purchase of resident hunting, fishing or trapping licenses, etc.) during that one (1) year period.

Any active duty member of the armed forces of the United States who has been stationed in Wyoming for ninety (90) days shall qualify for resident licenses so long as the member remains stationed in Wyoming.

I am not familiar with landowner tag rules, and whether they apply to nonresidents, but they require an amount of land that could get expensive, there are a lot of rules, and they are limited to the particular land to which they apply. That is its own research project.
To answer the OP without getting into what his/her personal politics may be, I would do what you suggested if I were in your position.

From a personal standpoint and to be an a-hole I will say two things. First, please, please don't bring any more liberalism to my state. Second, most people here don't use "than" and "then" synonymously. Some do, most don't. I guess a third thing as a corollary to my first. If you are conservative, please, please come here and help.

As much as Montanans claim to hate Californians, I am really surprised nothing has been done regarding carpet baggers and property taxes.

As I've been told, it aint just locals not being able to afford houses where they grew up (happens everywhere) but locals having to get a second or third job to afford the property taxes on the family homestead after someone pays high dollar for a place down the street.

Seems you folks would wanna pass laws that prevent higher taxes, but apparently not?

Not just Cali, but it is low hanging fruit smile. Money talks. The towns see dollar signs when taxes go up, and they don't seem to give a phugg about anything else. That's why so many areas are getting so very congested, over built, and too expensive for most to live.

You're right, every major league sports figure should live where they work too, no more traveling for games, they can just phone it in and work from home..... right,?

You truly are retarded. I don't follow any pro sports and haven't since I was a kid. Roid monsters getting millions to play a game lol. But for arguments sake, if a player was signed to a team, why wouldn't they live in the locale that hired them?

Originally Posted by Journeyman

Reckon we're guilty of just that you speak. Waaay back when my sister was NCAA and FIS competitive we bought a place in Squaw Valley so she could experience/train on diametrically different snow than we get here. Met lots of locals who couldn't afford to ski or live locally, or certainly not on the lake. Sold it after 12 years for a freaking obscene profit...and brought that money back home to Idaho, where we are now six generations, been here since 1904... I killed some nice deer and bear there, and don't apologize for it a bit.

So, is me investing money in California, all the while working for conservatism and Constitutionalism, the same as liberal sleazebags buying here in my state, or in yours, trying to bring their values the same as I did back then?

To me the answer boils down to the fight. I believe I'm right so have no guilt. "They" think I'm wrong so have no guilt.

That many, even here, don't realize the depth and importance of that fight, and are apologetic to the enemy makes me hang my head. I read on here where guys say their wives, siblings, etc are liberals, and they put that blood or friendship before ideology...and I fear we may be lost...

Congratulations on your investment?

I'm not saying it should be illegal, just taxed at an astronomical rate.

Holy Crap!

On the other hand it has led to some very amusing posts.
Originally Posted by Morewood

I sure don't mind folks (like you) moving here that want to leave the politics of California behind them, and live and vote to keep those policies away. I even welcome them.

But by and large that hasn't been the case. They fugg up one place, then move to the next to escape it, and be damned if they don't fugg the new place all up to, by making it just like where they came from.

It's not just California either.

I've seen it happen from all the illegals too. Move here from Mexico and then make it just like where they came from... crazy

rock, I hear ya. We've got so many NY'ers moving down here right now, it's incredible. I often run into them at the Mom & Pop lunch spots I like to frequent.

They always have a lot of questions. I used to just politely answer them and go about my business. I stopped doing that a while back.

Now, I ALWAYS include a sidebar conversation about not bringing the idiot politics and ideologies they're running from to my backyard.

Wish I had a photo album of all the deer in the headlights from THOSE conversations. smile
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Holy Crap!

On the other hand it has led to some very amusing posts.

This is true.
Tired of all the Californians moving here and the other western states. As soon as they land they start telling everyone how its done in California and that it should be here. This is the reason our State is bright blue, same with Western Montana and southern Idaho. If California is so great stay there making all that money, you'll need it to survive!

I am pretty sure that if you are not a resident of MT even if you own property here you still have to apply for tags as a non resident. So your tags are not guaranteed, even for deer and elk. However, it usually isn't a problem drawing those tags for non residents if you are looking at a general tag. What we would call an over the counter tag.
While increasing property tax rates for out of state landowners sounds good, I can't support ANY property tax for US citizens.

My issue is more with foreign nationals buying property in America. The PNW is slap full of Chinese that are hiding money over here and snatching up property left and right. It's had a pretty big impact on home values out here. Nice for me and others that got in during the recession, but other young folk are fugged.

How much of Texas is owned by foreigners? Montana?
Agree OP is probably trolling.

That said Idaho YOUR FÛCKED, LOL

You been the number 1 inbound migration and population growth State for several years now.

Whatever you can afford to do. Do it. You only go around once. No regrets.
Good grief....not this schit again.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Calm down Charlie Brown.

Calm down Charlie Brown.

Haha!

Wonder how long it will take him to change his screen name and ask all the same questions again??
Originally Posted by MadMooner
While increasing property tax rates for out of state landowners sounds good, I can't support ANY property tax for US citizens.

My issue is more with foreign nationals buying property in America. The PNW is slap full of Chinese that are hiding money over here and snatching up property left and right. It's had a pretty big impact on home values out here. Nice for me and others that got in during the recession, but other young folk are fugged.

How much of Texas is owned by foreigners? Montana?

Non-citizens should not be allowed to own any property in the U.S. I couldn't agree more.

You are right, in that property taxes are abhorrent and I'd like to see them abolished too. You never really own it if the government can take it back for failure to pay taxes. My post was simply an idea to work within the framework that already exists to quell a problem. And though it's a view I genuinely hold, I thought maybe it'd poke some eyes. smile

Calm down Charlie Brown.

Haha!

Wonder how long it will take him to change his screen name and ask all the same questions again??

Good question. Might depend how many get spun up on this one lol.
Denver is like LA now. Full of democrats screwing up the state laws. People crapping on the sidewalks. Drugs and homeless all over. They have magazine restrictions. They want to shut down hunting. They want wolves in the state here too. Just a few problems brought here. The latest is the sex education brought to schools in grades 1-6 about lesbians, gays and transvestites Denver has enough people voting to control the state. And that doesn't count the illegal sanctuary city problems.
Originally Posted by FatCity67

You been the number 1 inbound migration and population growth State for several years now.

You got that right.

Fortunately (for me) the majority of that influx of west coast "conservatives" is in southern ID.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Denver is like LA now. Full of democrats screwing up the state laws. People crapping on the sidewalks. Drugs and homeless all over. They have magazine restrictions. They want to shut down hunting. They want wolves in the state here too. Just a few problems brought here. The latest is the sex education brought to schools in grades 1-6 about lesbians, gays and transvestites Denver has enough people voting to control the state. And that doesn't count the illegal sanctuary city problems.

As one who travels to Colorado regularly, it has been very sad to see this devolution. It's like they got done with Portland and Seattle and then decided, "let's do the same to Denver". It is very sad. I have always maintained that if they divided the U.S. in half and forced the conservatives to live in one half and the liberals to live in the other half and allowed them to run things as they chose, two things would happen. First, people in the liberal side would start migrating to the conservative side. Second, those migrants from the liberal side to the conservative side would immediately start trying to change the conservative side to be like the liberal side was. Oh, a third thing would happen, people on the conservative side would stay put.

Not just Cali, but it is low hanging fruit smile. Money talks. The towns see dollar signs when taxes go up, and they don't seem to give a phugg about anything else. That's why so many areas are getting so very congested, over built, and too expensive for most to live.

You truly are retarded. I don't follow any pro sports and haven't since I was a kid. Roid monsters getting millions to play a game lol. But for arguments sake, if a player was signed to a team, why wouldn't they live in the locale that hired them?

Originally Posted by Journeyman

Congratulations on your investment?

I'm not saying it should be illegal, just taxed at an astronomical rate.

You missed my sarcastic point. They have to pay taxes where they earn the money, and at "home". He may already be paying double taxes, and you want him to pay even more of his "fair share". That's hypocritical.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Experience talking?

Probably still some folks there PO'd at you buying up that nice place with all that NV money. wink

Fortunately for us, they probably are happy my wife and I settled here in this part of Cali. Population has been stable to decreasing for years. We brought money from some of the several (5-6?) states we've lived in since we graduated from college years ago.

Sure seems like there's some relatively Anti-American thinking going on here. Man has money to spend, last I checked it's a freedom loving country, an association of entities called States with rules that allow free movement of citizens and commerce between them, no?

I certainly understand whoever it was that mentioned AZ "conservatives" doing all they can to turn their state into what they don't like. They love the money that comes with all that growth they propose and support, but don't like it when the folks with money show up and try to make it to their liking.

To the OP, if you're for real, and not a troll as some suggest, do what you need to do after researching it.

Because I love the desert, love AZ and like to hunt and fish there, if I was richer than I am I'd probably buy 40 acres outside a small community and put a trailer out there so I could escape here when I need to. And if I was really rich I'd buy some land back where the whitetail rats and feral hogs are so I could hunt more often than living out here in the west where tags are sometimes hard to come by.

America, gotta love it....................and all the free thinking that comes with it.

Geno

You got that right.

Fortunately (for me) the majority of that influx of west coast "conservatives" is in southern ID.

Calguns.net is littered with Kali ex-pats that moved to the Gem state.

You got that right.

I have no doubt that it is but I don't think you'll argue the fact that areas west coasters (notice I didn't single out Californians) migrate to become more liberal.

Or do you think the residents of CO, ID, MT, WY, TX, etc are just making that chit up?

Sucks for the good guys trying to escape but it's the reality of the situation.
Caliotoeians love it when their chit is smeared into other places.
For the most part they don't really want to escape it, they like to bring it with them
Caliotoeians love it when their chit is smeared into other places.
For the most part they don't really want to escape it, they like to bring it with them

I'd have to admit, you have that correct. Some just cannot shut they're mouths, keep they're politics and ideals to themselves. Then, you have some that simply, seamlessly fit right in. And don't bother anyone. Just want to be left alone.
Right now I am splitting my time between CA and MT. I'd be in MT full time but for my parents, who are in a nursing home in the Bay Area, so I have to be in CA a lot to help them.

Whether or not OP was trolling, the question is one I faced a few years ago. I ended up buying the land and having a hunting cabin built. For the first year, I flew to Montana about once a month for hunting and just enjoying freedom. The problem was that the more time I spent in Montana, the less I wanted to be in California and we ended up buying a house in Bozeman (I know, but we got a great deal on a beautiful old house that my wife fell in love with), then a vehicle for when we're in Montana, then all the furniture for the house, etc.

The point being, the odds of saving money by having hunting land in Montana while still living in CA are very low. Between travel costs and all the other expenses of maintaining two residences in different states, you ain't gonna come out ahead financially.

Also, while I hate CA for many things, there's still acceptable hunting opportunities in the state. My cousins live up near Lake Shasta and they do pretty well with deer hunting and fishing, all on public land. The state still makes life difficult for sportsmen, but all in all, they have good lives (thanks, in large part, to local government refusing to abide by the more draconian nonsense that the state pushes, such as CCW issuances). If I were planning to continue living and working in CA (which I'm not), I'd save the money that the OP intends to use to buy land in MT/WY and use it for out of state tag fees and maybe even guided hunts.
Agree OP is probably trolling. That said Idaho YOUR FÛCKED, LOL You been the number 1 inbound migration and population growth State for several years now.
You got that right.Fortunately (for me) the majority of that influx of west coast "conservatives" is in southern ID.
I have no doubt that it is but I don't think you'll argue the fact that areas west coasters (notice I didn't single out Californians) migrate to become more liberal. Or do you think the residents of CO, ID, MT, WY, TX, etc are just making that chit up? Sucks for the good guys trying to escape but it's the reality of the situation.

There is an element of that argument which is undeniable.

Its very easy though for born and bred locals to blame transplants for their problems when its actually a cultural liberalism which over long periods of time that have infected all parts of our institutions yes even in steadfast conservative strongholds.
Agree OP is probably trolling. That said Idaho YOUR FÛCKED, LOL You been the number 1 inbound migration and population growth State for several years now.
You got that right.Fortunately (for me) the majority of that influx of west coast "conservatives" is in southern ID.
I have no doubt that it is but I don't think you'll argue the fact that areas west coasters (notice I didn't single out Californians) migrate to become more liberal. Or do you think the residents of CO, ID, MT, WY, TX, etc are just making that chit up? Sucks for the good guys trying to escape but it's the reality of the situation.

There is an element of that argument which is undeniable.

Its very easy though for born and bred locals to blame transplants for their problems when its actually a cultural liberalism which over long periods of time that have infected all parts of our institutions yes even in steadfast conservative strongholds.

No argument what so ever about the slow liberal drip drip drip in our institutions.

It does seem that the influx tends to speed things up though.

It's complex........too hard for me to sort out so I mostly stay home and drink and eat cheese these days. grin
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Experience talking?

Probably still some folks there PO'd at you buying up that nice place with all that NV money. wink

Fortunately for us, they probably are happy my wife and I settled here in this part of Cali. Population has been stable to decreasing for years. We brought money from some of the several (5-6?) states we've lived in since we graduated from college years ago.

Sure seems like there's some relatively Anti-American thinking going on here. Man has money to spend, last I checked it's a freedom loving country, an association of entities called States with rules that allow free movement of citizens and commerce between them, no?

I certainly understand whoever it was that mentioned AZ "conservatives" doing all they can to turn their state into what they don't like. They love the money that comes with all that growth they propose and support, but don't like it when the folks with money show up and try to make it to their liking.

To the OP, if you're for real, and not a troll as some suggest, do what you need to do after researching it.

Because I love the desert, love AZ and like to hunt and fish there, if I was richer than I am I'd probably buy 40 acres outside a small community and put a trailer out there so I could escape here when I need to. And if I was really rich I'd buy some land back where the whitetail rats and feral hogs are so I could hunt more often than living out here in the west where tags are sometimes hard to come by.

America, gotta love it....................and all the free thinking that comes with it.

Geno

If you don't mind, please expound on what Anti-American thinking is going on thus far pre-dating your post.
BGG,
Hope all is well up there. Not trying to offend anyone, just certain attitudes hit me as incongruent with American ideals, as I understand them.

Telling a person not to spend his "California" money on an item he wants (land) in another member State of the Union seems to me to be a bit Anti- American. Of course, speaking one's mind is as American as can be too.

Should he not have the right to spend his money where he wants?

I see the point some are making about foreigners investing in American land, but not a fellow American.

Free movement between the states, for business and pleasure, seems to be one of those things I learned about in history classes. No need for "papers" etc. I think the line of thinking I'm describing helped settle this country, no? Folks buying or homesteading land in another State or Territory and bringing their upbringing and customs with them perhaps should be tolerated at least?

Geno

Well said, FatCity.
BGG,
Hope all is well up there. Not trying to offend anyone, just certain attitudes hit me as incongruent with American ideals, as I understand them.

Telling a person not to spend his "California" money on an item he wants (land) in another member State of the Union seems to me to be a bit Anti- American. Of course, speaking one's mind is as American as can be too.

I see the point some are making about foreigners investing in American land, but not a fellow American.

Free movement between the states, for business and pleasure, seems to be one of those things I learned about in history classes. No need for "papers" etc. I think the line of thinking I'm describing helped settle this country, no? Folks buying or homesteading land in another State or Territory and bringing their upbringing and customs with them perhaps should be tolerated at least?

Geno

All is exceedingly well Geno, hope your high desert bit o' real estate is treating you well today. FWIW no offense taken here at all. I enjoy fleshing out arguments among friends.

Any of us (American citizens that is) can and should be able to spend out hard or easy earned dollars any way we see fit. I did not say otherwise. My contention (and I tried to make a point not to single Cali out as I know how sensitive you gals are smile ) is simply that if a guy/gal wants there little slice of rural heaven, then cool. Live there. Oh, you mean the winters are cold? Or the summers are hot? Or maybe it's fit for a weekend here or there but certainly not to live full time as there aren't enough or the right kind of stores there? Then bugger off. If it's that magical, that amazing then simply live there. If you are unwilling, then I guess it ain't so magical eh?

Otherwise what happens is absentee owners come in with out of state money, drive the price up on real estate (because although it's a pittance compared to where they live and work it's higher than local wages can afford), and voila you have a shidty situation. I'm not local to this area, or even this state. My kids are though, and I have trouble seeing a way for them to be able to afford to live here, if they so choose.

I'm sure there's several hundred holes in my position, and I'm willing to hear the other point of view.

This ^^^
They dont only screw up the politics.
Every state has rules on residency, most often one has to reside in the state for the cheaper hunting license. I own land in MN and AR and I am a non resident in both, even though I pay property taxes in both, and have registered deeds in both.
Every state has rules on residency, most often one has to reside in the state for the cheaper hunting license. I own land in MN and AR and I am a non resident in both, even though I pay property taxes in both, and have registered deeds in both.

Sounds like you are doing something wrong.lol 😆

And this, in a nutshell, is my point. He's already paying twice, and at higher rates, and some on here think it ain't high enough.
Personally, I think he's getting screwed.
No, doing nothing wrong. Drivers license is not from those states, also no utility bills etc. Playing by the rules.
CA transplants dont last long around here. Washington State Oregon and New England area people don't either pretty much Outsiders don't

Experience talking?

Geno

Maybe some here ought to re-read this.^^^^
This is the same guy that wont go look at potential properties.

Just keeps asking the same questions....over and over.

No animosity towards Californians from me Geno.......I just get tired of this LUNG guy.
Hey, it's still a free country. Californians can still buy property despite your lame protestations.
You're punching at clouds.

I kinda get a kick out of all you sanctimonious MFers saying he's not welcome in your precious state.
Give me a break.
This is the same guy that wont go look at potential properties.

Just keeps asking the same questions....over and over.

No animosity towards Californians from me Geno.......I just get tired of this LUNG guy.

Has he brought this up before?

If so, I don't recall it. Perhaps he just needs some impetus. I think instead of MT, WY or that area he should go to MO. Property is reasonable there, you're right in the middle of the country, only a few hours drive from anywhere in the state to KC or St Louis and a major Airport. Branson is there for those inclined to that type of entertainment. The Stanley Cup Champions play in St Louis. Maybe it deserves a look. The area down in the south central is nice, I hunted there with a buddy one year. Nice folks down there too.

Geno
Go to Baton Rouge Louisiana! You'll fit right in.....lots of a ssholes down there!
BGG,

Geno

All is exceedingly well Geno, hope your high desert bit o' real estate is treating you well today. FWIW no offense taken here at all. I enjoy fleshing out arguments among friends.

Any of us (American citizens that is) can and should be able to spend out hard or easy earned dollars any way we see fit. I did not say otherwise. My contention (and I tried to make a point not to single Cali out as I know how sensitive you gals are smile ) is simply that if a guy/gal wants there little slice of rural heaven, then cool. Live there. Oh, you mean the winters are cold? Or the summers are hot? Or maybe it's fit for a weekend here or there but certainly not to live full time as there aren't enough or the right kind of stores there? Then bugger off. If it's that magical, that amazing then simply live there. If you are unwilling, then I guess it ain't so magical eh?

Otherwise what happens is absentee owners come in with out of state money, drive the price up on real estate (because although it's a pittance compared to where they live and work it's higher than local wages can afford), and voila you have a shidty situation. I'm not local to this area, or even this state. My kids are though, and I have trouble seeing a way for them to be able to afford to live here, if they so choose.

I'm sure there's several hundred holes in my position, and I'm willing to hear the other point of view.

BGG,

yep, this garden spot is treating me OK today, and most days. If only, Jeeze if ONLY, it wasn't in California. grin It's that time of year of 50 degree temperature swings. I love it. It's the interior west for sure. Fall calves are dropping in the pastures, geese are flocking up, flycatcher or phoebe stopped by for some bugs today on its way south, robins showing up for the juniper berries, leaves are turning colors. Jeeze if ONLY it wasn't in Kommiefornia.

I feel your pain, and likely that of your children down the road. I'd still likely be living in SoCal if they hadn't allowed so many people in there. Grow most anything year round, decent amount of public land to play on, go to the desert, mountains, and beach all in the same day if you choose, offshore fishing, great bass fishing, quail, some deer. But the f'rs wanted growth, growth, growth and more growth. My brother still lives and works down there building and building and building. He has to split rent with someone as even on his good wages he can't afford a decent place/neighborhood by himself. Traffic traffic traffic, and more traffic, And still they don't do anything to slow growth.

I lived through exactly the situation you described regarding the seasonal housing. My wife and I moved to the White Mountains of AZ in mid December a number of years back. Stayed in a motel with 2 dogs and 2 cats for over a month, looking for places every day. Driving around and seeing houses that would suit our needs quite well, with snow in the driveway that you could tell fell on Thanksgiving. We could live in that house, why aren't the owners?

It's not just out of state seasonal owners, most of those places were owned by desert dwellers in PHX and Tucson areas. Second houses for mom and kids to get away from the heat, dad drives up on Friday (made it a real zoo on Fri and Sun nights on the highways leaving the mountains). And they came up for the Ski Resort in the winter and then there was the ones up for the casino too. Priced the local regular wage earners out of the market in some of the areas. If you could find a place that is.

I always figured the ideal is to find paradise (SoCal was nearly that at one time, hence the attraction) and stay there and if one couldn't, then do like our primitive ancestors and migrate with the seasons. Too cold and the acorns are all gone, and the elk have moved off the mountain......time to go to the valleys. Or in SoCal the natives went to the beach and ate lobster, clams, and abalone! I can't blame a person of means for doing the same in the modern world. It sucks in many ways, but the only way to stop it is to limit growth, then the city fathers and mothers hear from the locals that they're not able to split their 10 acres into lots to sell to the lowlanders and they're being "deprived of their property rights".

I'm glad this is a sort of dying/stable area. It's likely the empty lot (couple of acres) across the street is not ever going to be developed. My nearest neighbor has no intention of splitting his lots, I'm certainly not going to. And there's no big drive by developers to get BLM to sell off the flat sage lands behind me. The remoteness keeps many desiring a calmer way of life away. It's just about 120 mile drive in any direction, on two lane winding highways, to get to ANYWHERE.

It would be nice in some respects to see an infux of cash from somewhere, to bring back some industry to the city. And a few more variety restaurants, and not Jack in the Box types.

I certainly don't know how to solve the "gentrification" of the rural west, but I do realize it sucks in many respects. What's left for folks like us when the city folks move into the area and start to change things? (even tho I grew up in the burbs it was a way different time. They don't let kids run around there with BB guns and 22's anymore) I guess a fella could pull up stakes and move to the Rust Belt places where populations are decreasing, but then one would lose the mountains, elk, antelope, Big Skies, etc.

I just can't see telling a person to stay away, stay "home" in situation they don't enjoy, don't start planning for the future, and whatever you do, Don't Come Here.

Well, I can see doing it, but it sorta starts to reek of the NIMBY mentality. Which I hold to when it affects me.

Such is life, full of dilemmas, eh?

I wish you and yours the best there, and certainly hope your kids get a chance to stay in the area they grew up in, find an affordable place, and raise a family if that's what they choose to do. But if they move to another place I hope they don't run into the "Don't bring your rural ideas here" folks.

Enjoy the conversation.

Geno
That’s what people without money say. I didn’t ask for your opinion. Don’t hate because I work hard and have a successful business. There are plenty of Californians that are just as conservative and red blooded as people in idaho
There just mad that I have a successful thriving business and I have the option to buy property. I’m not worried about people like them. I’m living a great life
Your and idiot I lived in Idaho for a few years and worked as a wild land forest firefighter in my summers between college at Boise state. Moved back here and now that I have a successful contracting business I’m looking for prooerty
That’s the reason I want to leave this state. Full of a bunch of [bleep] for brain libs
Those folks oughta look for a better higher paying profession I don’t feel bad for being successful in my life
I’m a constitutional conservative. Just because I’m from California doesn’t mean I don’t think the same politically as people in Idaho.
Ya but the quality of animals is [bleep] and the fish and game doesn’t manage our resources correctly. Major drought kill and predation issues
That’s another reason I wanna leave Cali to many illegal aliens
I’m as red blooded as they come Trump 2020 “liberals cry again”
There just mad that I have a successful thriving business and I have the option to buy property. I’m not worried about people like them. I’m living a great life

Dont flatter yourself
Lol I had to try and get some help.
I’ve always wondered the same thing
I’m interested in Wyoming and Montana
Never asked the same question you [bleep] for brains I asked about whitetail states back than but I decided on western states because it’s closer to my family. I changed my screen name because it was cambo0420 and you guys accused me of bein a dope smoker April 20 is my birthday. How about you stop commenting on my [bleep] negatively and get a life or a better paying job so you can actually enjoy life and stop bein so damn bitter. Take the stick out of your loose
Aaaaannnnnnddddd so it begins.
Thank god there is no land for sale around here.
Take the stick out of your loose

That's going to end up as somebody's tagline.
Where abouts in the Bay Area?
Originally Posted by DLSguide
Thank god there is no land for sale around here.

Yeah, your area is really awful. It's pure hell when I'm heading to my land and take the 89 exit...90 miles of tent cities and human debris. Avoid the area at all costs.
Take the stick out of your loose

That's going to end up as somebody's tagline.

I don't even know what a loose is but I'm thinking about using it.
Yeah right, I am conservative I live in San Francisco,
laffin
Who you trying to fool, us or yourself?
Colorado is THE place for Commiefornia transplants. Legal Pot too.
I was born in, and grew up in CA. I understand the desire to find a suitable place to do what we enjoy, such as hunt, fish, shoot and just be alone in the wilderness. I say just go where you want to be and get your place in a better location. I disagree with so much of the politics of CA that I left. That does not mean I think all who live there are jerks, a holes or something wrong with them. When I grew up there is was like the most ideal place. Hunting, fishing, abalone, salmon, birds, horses, wilderness and solitude. Times are a'changing. The cultural change many here seem to dislike about Calif is actually occurring all across this great land. Don't attack those trying to enjoy life as we see it. I currently live in middle America. I have lived on both coasts, out of the country and in the middle. There are fantastic people in every state. Our populations is expanding. People are moving. Those from very different cultural backgrounds have, and are, moving into all areas and all states. Carping here, amongst the Fire family, will not change the harmful influence most of you do not want, nor like. Personally, I support all who want to live life, enjoy hunting, enjoy the outdoors, and enjoy the freedom we should never take for granted. As Ronald Reagan said so well, freedom is only one generation away from being lost.
I do not judge those with dreams and ambitions that post anywhere on the "Fire." I try and always keep in mind "not all who wander are lost." There are very few here who I would not have a coffee or a beer with. I keep in mind the options are those I have very little in common with.
Anybody that has the wherewithal to join this cranky old man forum and is able to string a sentence or two together is not your enemy.

Went to the Walmart grocery store this morning. The employees were speaking Spanish and I was stuck behind a few penguins in full burqa cashing in their food stamps paid for by us taxpayers. I highly doubt any of them are posting on this outdoorsman forum.

Direct your anger towards the politicians that have flooded this country with incompatible cultures.

Not some Californian looking to make a better life.

I think JamesJr knows a farm for sale in KY
This is progressing pretty much exactly as expected.
That’s the reason I wanna get out. Eventually once I get married I don’t wanna raise my kids in this [bleep]
Never asked the same question you [bleep] for brains I asked about whitetail states back than but I decided on western states because it’s closer to my family. I changed my screen name because it was cambo0420 and you guys accused me of bein a dope smoker April 20 is my birthday. How about you stop commenting on my [bleep] negatively and get a life or a better paying job so you can actually enjoy life and stop bein so damn bitter. Take the stick out of your loose

Big Jim for the win!
Gentlemen, this is the same DSMFn troll that's started countless threads here on the fire, under various nom de shathead, askin questioins bout rifles, scopes, huntin areas, regs, out the ass.

Has even started threads bout the exact same shat he started before, tho you can't tell which one he was shatfaced when he started, cause they're all lame.

But has never actually spent a dime, or done anything he's ever asked about. Just taken advantage of the good nature of outdoorsmen in trying to help.

Good ta see the tention ho ain't gettin a welcome reception in this thread, good news is his askin bout relocatin is a sure sign he ain't goin anywhere.

Don't waste your pixels on this POS.
Thought the dumb SOB was trapped in TX.
Holy post count Batman!!!
Texas!

Hunting property

© 24hourcampfire