Home
Here is my winter project, I've always had a thing for C3's shark so I picked up a small project

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

The paint's decent which was my main thing since I'm not much for body work. It's been mostly sitting for 25 years but runs great and the interior is clean. Engine was rebuilt in 92 with 18k on it, trans rebuilt in 85 with 40k on it, 130k total.Paint is from 94 but decent enough for a driver. I'm putting new suspension and bushings in,rebuilding brakes, replacing hoses, etc that are old. The tires are 25 years old and have 7k on them but are checked, spare tire is from 77 and holds air laugh . . Its the stock engine aside from intake and carb, so I might throw a mild cam in it and maybe up the hp from 180 hp a bit so I can at least beat a corolla of the line laugh . It should be a fun summer cruiser.
I always loved those Vets from the '70's. You ain't gonna let it sit out in the rain are you?
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I always loved those Vets from the '70's. You ain't gonna let it sit out in the rain are you?

It has a spot in the garage, but I've been needing a second garage for a while so this might be the motivating factor to build a shop this summer.
Can't yet figure out pics here but my fun runner is a restored 79 fj40 land cruiser.

Osky
My newest vehicle is a 93 Dodg e diesel, oldest is a 44 Dodge WC63 , in between are a 72 Mercedes 250C and a 64 Dodge M43 ambulance, all running and used regularly. I've had the M43 since 1984 and its still running on the original spark plugs.
I drove this car to high school. Still lookin' good.

[Linked Image]
I have a 73 Corvette, 454 4-speed.

The factory engine is in pieces. A warmer 454 lives under the hood.

The rain will wash all the dust off that dark color with the gravel roads he has to drive.
They sit, the 47 Jeep my brother bought new, and the 67 Mustang I bought in 67. They both need$$$$$$
I've posted this before, but here it is again!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
heres mine drive it all over, race it on the weekends[Linked Image]

Attached picture 00B0B_21OzHIBPGit_600x450.jpg
Originally Posted by JeffA

The rain will wash all the dust off that dark color with the gravel roads he has to drive.

Living on gravel is what keeps me from getting a Classic right now.
Originally Posted by JGray

Can never post that one too much!

Saw a Ford version of that last night in town, it was turquoise over white, both a class act.
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Just drive slow laugh . I only have 3/4 of a mile or so of gravel road to deal with. .
65 Mustang coupe. Fully restored..
Originally Posted by 300stw

That's awesome!
1988 4Runner is still my daily ride.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

Just drive slow laugh . I only have 3/4 of a mile or so of gravel road to deal with. .

My closest route to a paved road is almost 2 1/2 miles and even when I drive slow with my truck to try and keep it somewhat clean, some boner face ALWAYS passes or meets me, dusting the crap out of it. lol

I don't much bother trying anymore.
'68 Chevelle SS. The first car I ever owned when I was 17 was a '69.

I bought it 9 years ago from one of my customers. He had it for 5 years and I told him if he ever sold it that I had first dibs. Someone along the way, somewhat, half assed restored it. It looks like all of the sheet metal is in good shape with no bondo. The rocker panels is the only place with a touch of rust bubbles. It was originally Crimson Red, but they painted it Hugger Orange. I wish they painted it Red. It had a mish mash of '69 parts on it including the rally wheels, so I put the Cragars on it. I put new bumpers on it. The engine is a big block and originally was a 396, but not sure now. It originally came out of a '67 Impala SS according to the numbers on the block. It doesn't seem too radical and runs good with no smoke. It might have a little bigger cam because it has a little bit of a lope when it idles. It has developed an exhaust leak between the head and the header. My guy is gonna fix that after Christmas. I've replaced everything under the hood except for the engine it's self. Radiator, power steering pump and gear box. brake booster, distributor, wires, alternator, and fuel pump. It leaked fluid from every possible place including the valve covers, so I put new valve covers on it. Fixed all of the other leaks and now it doesn't lose a drop. Replaced all of the springs and bushings in the suspension. New Flow Master Exhaust. It came from the factory with a 2 speed Power Glide with the shifter on the tree and a bench seat. They put a 3 speed Turbo 400 in it, so I took out the bench seat and replaced it with stock buckets and the stock console and shifter for a 3 speed automatic. It has power steering and brakes with disc on the front. Replaced the brake calipers and pads. It has an independent rear, so it's "a one wheel tire fire". My mechanic said he could put Posi rear gears in it, but it's not needed because I don't run it hard. The guy before me put new carpet in it. It's only been in the rain one time while I owned it. That time, I got caught out in a thunder storm and it fried the wiring. They had it all jack legged in there, so we rewired it. I've put as much money in it as what I paid for the car. I probably have more in it than the car is worth, but I'll never sell it, so it doesn't matter

Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
I have a 73 Corvette, 454 4-speed.

The factory engine is in pieces. A warmer 454 lives under the hood.

ha!

I drove my old man's 73 stingray to high school (454) t-tops
Aka the Panty Dropper grin

While he was flying in Honduras. lol

mama kept our secret.
1986 Buick Regal with a 330 Olds Engine. Bought it when I was a Junior in High School. The Wife and I call it " The Baby Maker " We got married in 1990

Attached picture img-8968_2_orig (1).jpg
1970 VW Beetle................low mileage survivor. Very similar to the 1968 I brought back from Germany when discharged from the USAF.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by GrandView
1970 VW Beetle................low mileage survivor. Very similar to the 1968 I brought back from Germany when discharged from the USAF.

[Linked Image]

I learned how to drive in a '68 just like that.

Cleanest garage I've ever seen. But then I spotted the sticker still on the window that tells me new construction.

That's a nice truck, I like it a lot.
79 Bronco Ranger XLT 400/C6 NP205 LS in both diffs. It’ll go like hell out in the weeds if I can keep it running. Was my daily driver before I moved to AK and then it set out behind the barn for a decade. It always need 2 hours and $200 and then it’ll be good to go. smile

Took the boy for a spin in it last night. Someday I’m going to give it a cash infusion and get it nice again. I’ve had it since sophomore year of HS so it’s not going anywhere. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
1955 F-100

[Linked Image]

The little Beetle is a pretty driver-friendly car.............as long as you remember a 50 year-old economy car does not have the safety of a modern vehicle.........from several angles. My 31 year-old daughter proclaimed it "very primitive". True enough I guess. But as our first new car in 1968........my young bride and I thought we were in pretty tall cotton when we bought that Beetle in Germany.

They've become quite popular as collector cars, and even daily drivers. Prices vary wildly,and they're really popular on the west coast. Good Midwest copies are harder to find...............winters and salty roads are not friendly to the bug. I searched locally for two years before price/condition coincided. Also was aided by two previous owners who kept it stored during winters, kept up maintenance and originality, and drove sparingly for a combined 42 years. So.........I'm the 3rd septuagenarian to continue that premise.

My closest route to a paved road is almost 2 1/2 miles and even when I drive slow with my truck to try and keep it somewhat clean, some boner face ALWAYS passes or meets me, dusting the crap out of it. lol

They make carwashes!!
1953 F-100
A resto-modded (427 Windsor, Tremec 5 speed, coil over suspension...) 73 Mach 1 and a body off restored 70 340 Dodge Dart Swinger
[Linked Image]

One of them foreign thangs. 1985 BMW M635Csi. Motor has been massaged a little, 3.6L in-line 6, about 370 hp at the crank, 313 to the wheels.

89 jeep I bought new, new motor and transmission.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Dream car for me would be a '67 mustang. Doesn't have to be the fastest or loudest out there, but have a smooth as glass 390 and enough power to cruise the mountain highways.

Alas, life got in the way...maybe if I hit the lottery.
Originally Posted by badger

One of them foreign thangs. 1985 BMW M635Csi. Motor has been massaged a little, 3.6L in-line 6, about 370 hp at the crank, 313 to the wheels.

Very nice!

[Linked Image]

The little Beetle is a pretty driver-friendly car.............as long as you remember a 50 year-old economy car does not have the safety of a modern vehicle.........from several angles. My 31 year-old daughter proclaimed it "very primitive". True enough I guess. But as our first new car in 1968........my young bride and I thought we were in pretty tall cotton when we bought that Beetle in Germany.

They've become quite popular as collector cars, and even daily drivers. Prices vary wildly,and they're really popular on the west coast. Good Midwest copies are harder to find...............winters and salty roads are not friendly to the bug. I searched locally for two years before price/condition coincided. Also was aided by two previous owners who kept it stored during winters, kept up maintenance and originality, and drove sparingly for a combined 42 years. So.........I'm the 3rd septuagenarian to continue that premise.

Cool little cars but hands down a VW Beetle was the coldest vehicle I've ever been in. Rode with a friend in his once on a mid-winter round trip of about 250 miles and I thought I was never going to get warmed back up again.
[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]
I guess you have to define "classic", Growing up in the 60's your car options were some of the best in auto history, every car company had cars that would become classic 50 years later. I had a few, beautiful 55 Merc. 2 door hardtop, 60 Ford Sun Liner with Police Interceptor 352, and a brand new 67 Mustang Convert. with HP 289 w/ 4 speed. Today I'd love to have anyone of those, but instead bought this one brand new as a 60th Birthday Present to myself. It's an 03 BMW Z4, first year production of that model, it's going to be 17 years old next year, still have it, 75K on it, and just a fun car to drive.

I bought it 9 years ago from one of my customers. He had it for 5 years and I told him if he ever sold it that I had first dibs. Someone along the way, somewhat, half assed restored it. It looks like all of the sheet metal is in good shape with no bondo. The rocker panels is the only place with a touch of rust bubbles. It was originally Crimson Red, but they painted it Hugger Orange. I wish they painted it Red. It had a mish mash of '69 parts on it including the rally wheels, so I put the Cragars on it. I put new bumpers on it. The engine is a big block and originally was a 396, but not sure now. It originally came out of a '67 Impala SS according to the numbers on the block. It doesn't seem too radical and runs good with no smoke. It might have a little bigger cam because it has a little bit of a lope when it idles. It has developed an exhaust leak between the head and the header. My guy is gonna fix that after Christmas. I've replaced everything under the hood except for the engine it's self. Radiator, power steering pump and gear box. brake booster, distributor, wires, alternator, and fuel pump. It leaked fluid from every possible place including the valve covers, so I put new valve covers on it. Fixed all of the other leaks and now it doesn't lose a drop. Replaced all of the springs and bushings in the suspension. New Flow Master Exhaust. It came from the factory with a 2 speed Power Glide with the shifter on the tree and a bench seat. They put a 3 speed Turbo 400 in it, so I took out the bench seat and replaced it with stock buckets and the stock console and shifter for a 3 speed automatic. It has power steering and brakes with disc on the front. Replaced the brake calipers and pads. It has an independent rear, so it's "a one wheel tire fire". My mechanic said he could put Posi rear gears in it, but it's not needed because I don't run it hard. The guy before me put new carpet in it. It's only been in the rain one time while I owned it. That time, I got caught out in a thunder storm and it fried the wiring. They had it all jack legged in there, so we rewired it. I've put as much money in it as what I paid for the car. I probably have more in it than the car is worth, but I'll never sell it, so it doesn't matter

I like the Orange, that's a sweet looking car.
Originally Posted by joken2

Cool little cars but hands down a VW Beetle was the coldest vehicle I've ever been in. Rode with a friend in his once on a mid-winter round trip of about 250 miles and I thought I was never going to get warmed back up again.

LOL

If it was a rusty copy, I can well believe that. Right after floor pans, heater channels and heat exchangers are the next things to go. In working condition, a Beetle will drive you out with heat. To the floor that is.............it can be a lengthy wait to get heat up to the windshield. And there's no auxiliary fan to help the process. You learn to use your scraper inside as well as outside for the first 20 minutes or so. However, that little air-cooled engine does make a bunch of heat. It just has to have an avenue to get it to the cabin.
Here is my winter project, I've always had a thing for C3's shark so I picked up a small project

The paint's decent which was my main thing since I'm not much for body work. It's been mostly sitting for 25 years but runs great and the interior is clean. Engine was rebuilt in 92 with 18k on it, trans rebuilt in 85 with 40k on it, 130k total.Paint is from 94 but decent enough for a driver. I'm putting new suspension and bushings in,rebuilding brakes, replacing hoses, etc that are old. The tires are 25 years old and have 7k on them but are checked, spare tire is from 77 and holds air laugh . . Its the stock engine aside from intake and carb, so I might throw a mild cam in it and maybe up the hp from 180 hp a bit so I can at least beat a corolla of the line laugh . It should be a fun summer cruiser.

Nice 'Vette!

get a pair of those 675$ fulie knock off heads from Summit racing to go along with the cam and it will transform that 180 horse engine for not a lot of dinero$

What is the drive train in that Impala.

Lovely K10 !

Wow!
'68 C10

'02 SS Not really a classic but most of them are gone now.

[Linked Image]

So did I, I was 11 years old :-) man what a blast I had!
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

66 Fairlane 302 CI, 331 HP, 4 Speed
Originally Posted by Sbrown

Probably THE Ford car I would most want if I could pic an oldie to fool around in on weekends. I found one the same color last weekend out at an old ranch house around here, haven’t inquired about it yet but I sure want to.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13805839/my-truck

[Linked Image]

I ordered this car when I was a senior in high school.

1973 Z-28 350/245 4 speed car.

An all original, numbers matching, original paint, survivor car with 29,000 mile.

Sadly, I sold it last year after 45 years together.......

I once had a 67 Mercury Cyclone GT
Mine was black with red striping and a red interior.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/1966-1967-mercury-cyclone-gt1.htm

Little more than cosmetic changes marked the 1967 Mercury Cyclone GT, which wore a single-section, horizontal-bar grille with center insignia. Taillights and rear-end decorations also enjoyed a freshening.

Engine modifications dropped the 390-cid V-8 down to 320 horsepower. The regular 289-cid Cyclone V-8 remained at 200 bhp.

Lower-body rally striping again helped identify the Mercury Cyclone GT, as did its black-out grille. GT extras didn't change much, including a twin-scoop hood, bright engine components, Wide-Oval whitewalls, stiffened suspension, and power front-disc brakes.
Here’s mine 1970 z28 RS 4speed.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
[quote=Snyper]...

Thanks.

I never can seem to get pictures to post like I want them to.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]host image

(Or maybe I can if I do it through that method)
LOL
An older fellow at church has a Caliente Comet. Looks like a baby brother to that Cyclone. Cool old rides
A few more of my toys. 87 Trans Am GTA, 74 Buick Regal, 87 Honda Super Magna

Attached picture honda-magna-750-foto-2015-2.jpg
Attached picture 00Q0Q_9kjXmz1Zzl3_1200x900 (1).jpg
Attached picture image1 (2) (1).jpeg
Originally Posted by 1911a1

Nice 'Vette!

get a pair of those 675$ fulie knock off heads from Summit racing to go along with the cam and it will transform that 180 horse engine for not a lot of dinero$

It has 1.94/1.5 on it, but with 2 bolt mains, cast pistons and crank it's not going to hold a lot hp. At 5000 rpm the bigger heads only add ~20hp . I'f drop a 420hp crate engine and transmission before I put much into the stock engine. It's the original engine, so I'll throw a cam in it and probably call it good, that should get it into the upper 200's and enough for a good burnout laugh .
At the moment, I'm up to 2 flat tires and a dead battery.

These types of threads come around every 6 months.

Who knows, might even have some hickory nuts in the air cleaner.

Be conservative with that cam. Think about the smallest Lunati Voodoo.
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
[quote=Snyper]...

Thanks.

I never can seem to get pictures to post like I want them to.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]host image

(Or maybe I can if I do it through that method)
LOL

NICE!
Originally Posted by EdM
A resto-modded (427 Windsor, Tremec 5 speed, coil over suspension...) 73 Mach 1 and a body off restored 70 340 Dodge Dart Swinger

Nice powerplant in the Ford. Curious how you remove the body from a Unibody car? LOL I know, most other brands say frame off restoration....

I have a driving 70-440 Cuda, project 74-360 Challenger, 68 Firebird 400 Convertible, Son has a 56 F-100 he and dad restored/ painted Viper Red, 53-F100 former drag truck with a mild 350 with Huge MT drag tires out back ( wide fenders-tubbed bed- narrowed 9" diff) and dad built a 56 Belair and used an 88 IROC drivetrain, making an unbelievable 30 mpg +- a few depending on the trip. It runs cold, the only reason we think it gets the high MPG, but EPA sticker for an 88 IROC I believe is 28 highway so it isn't a big stretch to believe the numbers.

Very nice, one of my favorites. May I ask what you did to squeeze so much power of out of it? Had a 2002 540 that I would find excuses to go for a drive. I'm looking for an E39 M5, but prices are getting ridiculous for low mileage ones.
I put some new 20 inch wheels with spinners on my Smart car it looks amazing..
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I drove a bunch of those as a kid, I don't think you could wear one out.
Originally Posted by tzone

They make carwashes!!

Long dirt roads, extended seasons of mud,slush and snow, trees in the yard that continually deposit crap on the cars, all equal in town storage. Live where ya enjoy, park the classics elsewhere.

I drove a bunch of those as a kid, I don't think you could wear one out.

I hope you're right. It's not that pretty any longer.

Somebody somewhere restored it back when. I bought last year it and hooked a disc up to it. It's still that pretty under the mud, however.
1956 Chervolet 210 2 door hardtop, the Businessmans Coupe. 62,000 original miles and interior. I bought it in 1977 from the 87 year old original owner when it had 21k miles on it.
This is my other custom ride.
66 Chevrolet Truck, Fleetside, Shortbed
66 Ford Truck, Fleetside, Shortbed
A 1952 Dodge B3PW power wagon, and a plum crazy purple '69 Plymouth road runner with a pistol grip 4 speed, I love the old sheet metal.
1986 chevy silverado 68,000 miles 2nd owner ( its in like new condition)

1972 chevy highlander c10 87,000 miles ( had to dig it out of a pasture to bring home )

the wife drives an old restore 1971 chevy c10

2006 harley roadking (custom)

1997 harley fxsct custom softail

wife rides 2014 harley switchback

Bristoe< I have been meaning to suggest you put a front bumper on that 8N. Not only giving some protection to the radiator, a hitch ball is pretty handy in moving boat trailers or utility trailers in to tight spots. Plus, it makes a good hanger for suitcase weights to keep that front end down when pulling hard.

https://www.steinertractor.com/FDS0...A22228eu-2oohOs_YkJSZkMpnjBoC6-UQAvD_BwE

My apologies to the OP for a off topic.
Originally Posted by kolofardos

Very nice, one of my favorites. May I ask what you did to squeeze so much power of out of it? Had a 2002 540 that I would find excuses to go for a drive. I'm looking for an E39 M5, but prices are getting ridiculous for low mileage ones.

Stroker crank and 1st overbore, CP pistons with Scat rods, 10.5/1 compression. Megasquirt MS3 Pro engine management and bigger injectors. Tuned by a friend who really knows his stuff. He was surprised at the result, especially as it is breathing through the stock airbox with a stock BMW filter, and a stock exhaust system. The Euro cars were not built with cat converters, but were retrofitted when they were imported. This one is cat less, as BMW originally designed it.

Nice 'Vette!

It has 1.94/1.5 on it, but with 2 bolt mains, cast pistons and crank it's not going to hold a lot hp. At 5000 rpm the bigger heads only add ~20hp . I'f drop a 420hp crate engine and transmission before I put much into the stock engine. It's the original engine, so I'll throw a cam in it and probably call it good, that should get it into the upper 200's and enough for a good burnout laugh .

Granted your engine might be a little worn to hop up but a properly built 2 bolt small block chevy with cast pistons and crank can be built up to 350 HP and still hold up pretty well.
Sold this about 3 yrs. ago. Owned it for about 15yrs. Had one when I was a teenager and needed to scratch an itch for awhile.

1969 RS w/ matching no.'s, deluxe interior and M22 trans. Never got driven as hard as the 1st one!

Nice 'Vette!

Granted your engine might be a little worn to hop up but a properly built 2 bolt small block chevy with cast pistons and crank can be built up to 350 HP and still hold up pretty well.

It only has 18k on the rebuild, it runs out great for a stock engine. The idea of throwing aluminum heads on it crossed my mind.
Off road is my thing but some cool cars here.
I have a 1966 Mustang hardtop.
I’ve got a 70 Rivera that my Grandpa bought new. It need a few things right now. It will be a good project for 2020.

What is the drive train in that Impala.

454 th350 4:11 gears, its a 65 biscayne actually,
We have a number of nice classic 68 to 72 Chev/GMC trucks - great fun - and the trucks are all jealous about our 1967 Corvette Sting Ray.
Last year for the little Bronco's. 1977

1932 was a good year for cars...

But 1966 is still my fav.

83 Cj7

Originally Posted by DMc
But 1966 is still my fav.

Sweet! grin
1998 C5 corvette convertible
'87 Ford Bronco.

[Linked Image from i617.photobucket.com]

Love 66/67 fairlanes. One of my favorite cars!
71 GMC 3/4 ton long bed 4 speed 4x4....my daily driver.
'68 C10

'02 SS Not really a classic but most of them are gone now.

My first vehicle was a '60 Chevy shortbed Fleetside, in that same Seafoam Green. Black steel wheels, chrome baby moons, cast iron stepbumper. It had a three on the tree with a 235 straight six. It couldn't get out of it's own way, but it was a great first vehicle for a kid. It was pretty hard to get into trouble with that slowmotion old thing. The transmission would pop out of gear after a bit, typical of those old GM three-speeds.
The early Ford Falcon pickups always catch my eye.

I had one of those in HS.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.us]

You fuggers are making me go look at the local car listings. This site has cost me a lot of money.
35 Plymouth coupe ,chevy small block,tilt,cruise,air,automatic trans. belonged to my brother in law who passed away 5-6 weeks ago. it for sale,35k will put you in a very nice ride. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Uncle Dave & hotrod. Miss ya, buddy.

His basement man cave was wallpapered in drag racing trophies when I was growing up.

[Linked Image]

cool
My 71 CJ5

The next one, 69 CJ6

It's current state...
right side of the barn and left side

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by joken2

LOL

If it was a rusty copy, I can well believe that. Right after floor pans, heater channels and heat exchangers are the next things to go. In working condition, a Beetle will drive you out with heat. To the floor that is.............it can be a lengthy wait to get heat up to the windshield. And there's no auxiliary fan to help the process. You learn to use your scraper inside as well as outside for the first 20 minutes or so. However, that little air-cooled engine does make a bunch of heat. It just has to have an avenue to get it to the cabin.

going to school in flagstaff, az. with a bug. and a girlfriend, parked in the forest during snow storms. always had a ice scraper to clean the inside windows after those sessions.
42 ford "script" military jeep
44 ford military
45 willys military
48 cj2a
53 m38a1 military
10/72 fj40 land cruiser
Hey Al, what's the summary on the E-Type? Those are always interesting.

Best Regards
© 24hourcampfire