Home
Posted By: viking Tundra - 01/12/20
I traded my Chevy off yesterday and got a Toyota Tundra. Beast of pickup for a half ton.
Posted By: Oklahomahunter Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
I love mine. I have since I bought it in 2014. Mileage sucks but I knew that going in. I have a 22’ steel cargo trailer that would absolutely eat my GMC. If you aren’t careful the Tundra wants to roll down the interstate at 80 with it.
Posted By: viking Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
That’s the year I got, only 40900 miles on it. Minty.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
I like my 13 Crewmax, plus I have the factory supercharger on it which makes the smile factor +10 when you put the hammer down. Pulling the travel trailer makes hills look small.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
I love mine. I have since I bought it in 2014. Mileage sucks but I knew that going in. I have a 22’ steel cargo trailer that would absolutely eat my GMC. If you aren’t careful the Tundra wants to roll down the interstate at 80 with it.

I’m on my second Tundra and yes, it will pull a heavy trailer so easily you look at your speedometer and say, “What the hell am I doing?”

In my experience the Toyota p/u’s just keep on working and working well.
Posted By: viking Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
That adjustable headlight feature is cool.

I went into it knowing the gas mileage wasn’t the greatest.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
Originally Posted by viking

That is low mileage for a '14.
Originally Posted by BluMtn
I like my 13 Crewmax, plus I have the factory supercharger on it which makes the smile factor +10 when you put the hammer down. Pulling the travel trailer makes hills look small.

Is the SC a dealer add on or was it installed at the factory? I have a 2020 brochure and I didn't notice that option in it. I think I saw a reference on the web to Toyota made SC available from the dealerships.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
Originally Posted by 1911a1

That is low mileage for a '14.

Yeah, I'm at 94k on my '13.
Posted By: Oklahomahunter Re: Tundra - 01/12/20

I think mine has right at 44K on it. It would have about 35K, but I had to drive it to work for about 4 months. They’re awesome trucks. I recently put 35’s on mine and everyone that sees it loves it.
Posted By: bobmn Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
What kind of mileage is everyone getting?
There is only about 1300 miles on my '20 model. I'm avg. about 14.5 to 15.5 city/hwy combo driving. It is a crew max 4x4. with factory 20s fair sized tires.
Edit: according to one fellow member on here I'm an evil troll promoting Toyota trucks.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Tundra - 01/12/20

I’m looking at getting a new full size after having my Tacoma for 11 years, I’m stuck between ford and a Tundra right now, but given Toyota replaced my frame on my truck when it was 9 years old, and Ford would NEVER do that... I’m really leaning in the direction of the Tundra.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
Been wanting a new full size and Tundra is the only game in town but waiting on the redesign in '21, if I don't like it I'll have to find a low miles rig I spose.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

I’m looking at getting a new full size after having my Tacoma for 11 years, I’m stuck between ford and a Tundra right now, but given Toyota replaced my frame on my truck when it was 9 years old, and Ford would NEVER do that... I’m really leaning in the direction of the Tundra.

Ford doesn't have to. And it isn't a full size truck unless a 2500/F250 is an over sized truck.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
Off the OP's focus a bit, but I moved my Trailblazer and got a 2019 4Runner. As several have stated, gas mileage isn't the greatest. But, it's no worse than my Trailblazer was. Got about 6500 miles on it now, as it sits. These things are built like a tank. Lovin' it.

Posted By: Brazos Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
Sounds like they tow well, how about bed loads?

Doesn't look like they make a 3/4 ton, right?

I want to put a slide in camper in my next pickup.
Posted By: AnsonRogers Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
Originally Posted by bobmn

I have a 2019 5.7 Double Cab, 4x4. Only 4800 miles on the odo but have seen as high as 18.5 (calculated) driving country roads at 50-55. Averaged 16.5 on a recent 1850 mile trip which included a lot of interstate driving at 75 to 80+ and quite a bit of mountain driving as well. That was on regular 87 octane. I accidentally filled up with high octane one time so had a half tank of each. Mileage did not improve.

I'm very happy with mine. Ordered it with the tow mirrors and TRD dual exhaust. The mirrors are every bit as good as the ones on my old F350. Have only towed a trailer loaded with 50 square bales but that was not a problem. The thing has some get up and go. Love the TRD duals also! I never turn on the radio! The music is coming from the back.

By the way, while truck shopping and gathering info, I discovered that some Fords have fake engine sounds piped in via the speakers. I even commented to the salesman will driving an F150 5.0 that I could hear the engine rumble from up front. Seemed a little strange but now makes sense. Could also see daylight around the tailgate.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
I have a 14 tundra limitted 4x4
Bought it to pull a travel trailer, which it does easily.
Got 46k on it and love it
Posted By: 30338 Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
Routinely haul 1600-1800 pounds in the bed of mine with factory suspension. Just put in Bilstein 6120 shocks and springs up front and 5160 in rear. Rides really good on and offroad now.

I get 15-17 mpg with mine depending on conditions. Mine is one of the last non flex fuel engines they built.
Posted By: Chisos Re: Tundra - 01/12/20

16-1/2 mpg. Which is what I expected when I bought the truck new as it has a 4:30 rear gear with the towing package. Also the brakes are far superior than what was on the 2011 6.2 Silverado I traded in on it.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
Still driving the first year of production, 2007, 205k on the odometer. I get around 16.5 mpg. Mech problems to date: serpentine belt (2), starter, O2 sensor. Had to put overload springs on the rear to give me a little more confidence towing a toyhauler with a CJ-7 in it, it was a little squirrely in crosswinds. Pretty happy, I think I'll do it again next year, a low mile lease return prolly.
Posted By: SeanD Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
I don’t know why they have such a bad reputation for eating gas. I think tundras are pretty decent/normal for a gas V8 pickup. I’m averaging a little better than 15 with 2/3 city, 1/3 highway, hand calculated with my 4.6. 20 mpg if I keep it below 75mph. I expect the 5.7 would me 1-2 mpg worse. Dad has a 3.5 eco boost and gets about 13 in town and 21-21 on the highway. No comparison in torque though, the eco boost is a monster.

But I fully expect the tundra will be significantly cheaper in the long term, when you consider total cost including fuel, repairs, and residual value. Looked hard at F150’s and Bought a tundra.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
Originally Posted by Brazos
Sounds like they tow well, how about bed loads?

Doesn't look like they make a 3/4 ton, right?

I want to put a slide in camper in my next pickup.

I have a 2007 Tundra, bought it in 2010 with 60,000 miles on it. It has just over 100,000 now. I had an 8ft. camper on it for years. All I added was air bags, it handled it great. Tows my 16 ft. enclosed trailer and my loaded 18ft. car hauler easily and gets between 16-20 mpg empty on the highway. Never checked mileage in town. Never replaced anything besides tires and did the brakes/rotors once. I run Mobil 1 in it. I love my Tundra.
Posted By: Reba Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
How well will the Tundra pull a travel trailer weighting 7,000 , across the western states (Donner, Wasatch, South Pass, etc)?

How big is the gas tank?
Posted By: 1minute Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
Is the Tundra built with a steel body? They look nice, but I've not seen one off road pulling a six horse stock trailer around here. Pretty much still Ford/Dodge.
Posted By: SKane Re: Tundra - 01/12/20

That's a great lookin' rig!
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
Originally Posted by Reba
How well will the Tundra pull a travel trailer weighting 7,000 , across the western states (Donner, Wasatch, South Pass, etc)?

How big is the gas tank?

No problem pulling 7000# boats up steep bridges. My tank is 38 gallons.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
My '19 Limited Double Cab TRD Off Road. I'm averaging about 16 MPG. Has 3,800 miles on it right now.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: AnsonRogers Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
Mine has the 38 gallon tank. It comes with one of the packages. Right after fill-up, range shows about 520 miles but I need a bathroom stop long before then.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Tundra - 01/12/20

Please tell me more about the factory supercharger. Who installed it, where was it installed, did it affect your warranty, what brand of supercharger, costs involved, etc.

Would most appreciate your replies and thanks in advance.
OT
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
15.6 over the lifetime of the truck is what the dash says, overall. I have a 2015 double cab with the 5.7 and have 52k miles on it. I do feel like I do better on average, but I spend 9 months out of the year towing my boat. I generally fill up at 340 miles on the tank. Thats usually 21 gallons. So thats a little better than 16. Most of my driving is in town. I’ve gotten up to 17.5 on the tank if it was all flat freeway.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
Mine has the 38 gallon tank. It comes with one of the packages. Right after fill-up, range shows about 520 miles but I need a bathroom stop long before then.

Nice!

That was one of my bitches re: the Tundra when shopping for a truck a while ago. Small tanks are annoying.

Tundra has always been a nice truck.
Posted By: bobmn Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
Thanks everyone for the real world mileage
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
I don't think their mileage sounds that bad. My 2019 ram Laramie 1/2 ton crew 6'4" bed has only been averaging about 15.9 mpg mostly around town, little highway. It's a 5.7 with the 8 speed. My 2016 silverado crew with the 5.3 and 6 speed that averaged about 17 mpg for the 30,000 miles I had it. My new ram does have the 33 gal tank that I like.

If toyota would do a crew with a 6.4' bed and a bench seat I'd try one out.

Bb
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
Just made a 750 mile interstate/two lane highway run with my 2017 Double Cab 4x4 TRD 5.7 yesterday. Averaged 16.5 MPG with winter blend regular ethanol juice. Two people in the cab, and 200lbs of gear in the back. Power on tap whenever needed.
Posted By: Obi_Wan Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Been wanting a new full size and Tundra is the only game in town but waiting on the redesign in '21, if I don't like it I'll have to find a low miles rig I spose.

Latest news is you may have to wait until 22 to see the redesign.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Off the OP's focus a bit, but I moved my Trailblazer and got a 2019 4Runner. As several have stated, gas mileage isn't the greatest. But, it's no worse than my Trailblazer was. Got about 6500 miles on it now, as it sits. These things are built like a tank. Lovin' it.

Thats a great lookin off road capable rig
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers

I have a 2019 5.7 Double Cab, 4x4. Only 4800 miles on the odo but have seen as high as 18.5 (calculated) driving country roads at 50-55. Averaged 16.5 on a recent 1850 mile trip which included a lot of interstate driving at 75 to 80+ and quite a bit of mountain driving as well. That was on regular 87 octane. I accidentally filled up with high octane one time so had a half tank of each. Mileage did not improve.

I'm very happy with mine. Ordered it with the tow mirrors and TRD dual exhaust. The mirrors are every bit as good as the ones on my old F350. Have only towed a trailer loaded with 50 square bales but that was not a problem. The thing has some get up and go. Love the TRD duals also! I never turn on the radio! The music is coming from the back.

By the way, while truck shopping and gathering info, I discovered that some Fords have fake engine sounds piped in via the speakers. I even commented to the salesman will driving an F150 5.0 that I could hear the engine rumble from up front. Seemed a little strange but now makes sense. Could also see daylight around the tailgate.

I wish mine had the TRD duals and cold air intake.
Posted By: hanco Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
They are fine looking trucks. I went Dodge because I like diesels.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Tundra - 01/12/20

My 2014 crew 4x4 got 14 in the city, 17 on hwy as long as I stayed at 70mph or less, 15 at 75mph or more. I had lots of trouble with electronics (nav and infotainment went out twice at 44k and 60k) and cold start valve went out at 70k. Sorry to rain on the Tundra parade but my last two Chevy 4x4's, current GMC 4x4, and both of dad's last two F150 4x4's run circles around that Tundra.

Hope you have better luck with yours.
Posted By: PPosey Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
I bought a 08 Tundra new, put a hundred and seventy-five thousand miles on it. The transmission started having issues then so I traded it in got an excellent trade in on it on a 2017 Tundra. To me the tundra just feels more like a truck without all the fancy crap the Chevy was covered in. Test drove a half ton Ford, it just didn't feel like a truck to me either.

Heaviest thing I hauled in the bed would be a 200 gallon water tank full and 2 dead deer at the same time. That was no trouble you couldn't even tell the weight was back there. Tundras also seem to handle a lot better on a curvy Road to me I live in the mountains lots of curvy steep two-lane roads I like the way the tundra feels, rides, and handles better than the others and even with the dealership knowing the transmission had issues I got one heck of a trade-in and a good deal on a 2017.

I average about 14.5 miles per gallon here in the mountains and it steep here on most roads. The biggest drawback of the new Tundras is the stereos are awful I installed an amp new speakers all the way around. was really disappointed in 2017 factory system I kept the head unit put in a good Alpine amp some good speakers made a world of difference
Posted By: champlain_islander Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
Toyota makes a nice rugged truck but for some reason gets the worst mileage of all of them. I drove V8 Chevys and then Fords and am now back to a GMC V8. This newest one gets average 20 overall and on level 55 roads is closer to 25. Ford was slightly worse but better than the 15.2 my buddy gets with his tundra.
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
Toyota makes a nice rugged truck but for some reason gets the worst mileage of all of them. I drove V8 Chevys and then Fords and am now back to a GMC V8. This newest one gets average 20 overall and on level 55 roads is closer to 25. Ford was slightly worse but better than the 15.2 my buddy gets with his tundra.

4.30 gears....
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: Tundra - 01/12/20

Wait til the new Tundra comes out next year! The Tundra led the pack back in 07 when it came out, but 12 years later it’s been passed up in performance and technology by pretty much every other half ton truck. Of course unless your getting a screaming good deal on it.
Posted By: deflave Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
Toyota makes the best 1/2 ton hands down.

If you tow a lot I can see the reluctance. The small tank is its biggest drawback but it still beats holy hell out of any other 1/2 ton.

Ford for a close second.

Originally Posted by deflave
Toyota makes the best 1/2 ton hands down.

If you tow a lot I can see the reluctance. The small tank is its biggest drawback but it still beats holy hell out of any other 1/2 ton.

Ford for a close second.

38 gallons....
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Tundra - 01/12/20
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by champlain_islander

4.30 gears....

A somewhat dated 6spd tranny and 5.7 engine.

They’ve given great service but others have updated to 8 and 10spd trannies and more efficient engines.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
Maybe the next generation will have a 15 speed and one of those motors that shuts off at stop signs.
Posted By: deflave Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
Resale for the Tundra is without peer by the way.
Posted By: duck911 Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
After about 500k miles on Tacomas, I had my 2008 for 110,000 miles, now in a new 2019 with 7,000. Unless something drastic changes with build quality, I will likely always own a Tundra.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Please tell me more about the factory supercharger. Who installed it, where was it installed, did it affect your warranty, what brand of supercharger, costs involved, etc.

OT

I wanted to put after market dual exhaust on my trundra and were took from service it would void the warranty if that can track it back to it, and I'm sure they would say it had something to do with it. dam toyota service is all about the money
Posted By: viking Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
I drove about 300 miles today back to Fairview. Nice comfortable ride, and I still had gas in the tank😂. The Tundras are built the way a half ton should be.

One thing that I might be concerned about, is the lack of a block heater. I was told they don’t install them.
Posted By: Obi_Wan Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

Wait til the new Tundra comes out next year! The Tundra led the pack back in 07 when it came out, but 12 years later it’s been passed up in performance and technology by pretty much every other half ton truck. Of course unless your getting a screaming good deal on it.

May not be until 2022 models.

https://carbuzz.com/news/theres-bad-news-about-the-new-toyota-tundra
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
Maybe the next generation will have a 15 speed and one of those motors that shuts off at stop signs.

Maybe. But that’d be retarded.

An 8 or 10spd and updated engine that could pull 20+ unloaded on the highway would make sense.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
I traded my Chevy off yesterday and got a Toyota Tundra. Beast of pickup for a half ton.

You definitely traded up. I have a 2001 model Tundra that I wouldn't trade for a new Chevy or Ram if I had to keep it and drive it.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Tundra - 01/13/20

OT

Mine was dealer installed with factory warranty. I also have the cold air intake and dual stainless exhaust system on it. I was told with the supercharger, air, intake, and exhaust that I am putting out about 540 HP. I still get about 15 on the road and 6 or 7 when the travel trailer is hooked up. At the time the cost was about $8000.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Tundra - 01/13/20

OT

Mine was dealer installed with factory warranty. I also have the cold air intake and dual stainless exhaust system on it. I was told with the supercharger, air, intake, and exhaust that I am putting out about 540 HP. I still get about 15 on the road and 6 or 7 when the travel trailer is hooked up. At the time the cost was about $8000.

BluMtn, many thanks for the info. Could I ask what dealership you used for the installation? I’d be willing to drive a ways for this installation.

Thanks again.
OT

OT

That’s a beast! 540Hp and 500+ torque is monster!
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
Depending what year you have I believe they discontinued the TRD supercharger program with the 15 model year. I kinow there was a frantic search for awhile from the guys that had 15's to find dealers that had them in stock. Mine will be going up for sale in a couple months. It has 67,000 miles on it right now.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Tundra - 01/13/20

We had 3 of the early Tundras, and IMO were the best ones Toyota ever made. Little small in the back seat, but they never gave us any trouble.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
I probably would have gotten a tundra if doing it over again, well maybe I would have to drive one. my 2017 f150 hasn't been as reliable as I would like. its just too much technology. this generation of trucks isn't as reliable. The tundra is older technology. The trucks are just so dated even back then I just couldn't do it at the time. I see a pretty big hit with winter fuel. running summer fuel I am about 17.5 combined. I can get the big numbers on the freeway if I drive 70 or less.
My fuel and repair bills went down after getting rid of my last Tundra.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
[i][/i]
Depending what year you have I believe they discontinued the TRD supercharger program with the 15 model year. I kinow there was a frantic search for awhile from the guys that had 15's to find dealers that had them in stock. Mine will be going up for sale in a couple months. It has 67,000 miles on it right now.

Well, mine is a 2018 and when I’ve asked 2 local dealers about it they look at me like I fell out of a tree.

They did tell me that a TRD performance exhaust wouldn’t affect my truck warranty.

ETA:
Again, many thanks.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Tundra - 01/13/20

Thats a great lookin off road capable rig

Thank you.
Posted By: add Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by JGRaider
My fuel and repair bills went down after getting rid of my last Tundra.

Quite sure they did...

But traveling by foot, isn't for the rest here.
Posted By: ribka Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
Just drove my 2017 TUNDRA from N Idaho to Wisconsin then down to S Florida and back. 16.5 miles a gal. Zero problems as usual
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
Bought an 07 Tundra about 16 months ago. Put about 75,000 miles on it since then.

Ride is decent. I get about 13-14.5 mpg. I drive a lot and fairly fast.

When I do pull a trailer, it seems to struggle. I hear everyone talk about how stout their Tundras are for pulling. I guess it just feels like the truck has to work way too hard to pull a fairly small load.

Back seat sucks unless you are 8 years old. I had a Nissan Titan before this. I probably preferred the Titan for seat comfort.

Wife is telling me I need to get a half-ton Dodge as my next work truck She has a 15 or 16 with the eco-diesel and loves it. It is probably the BEST GIFT I ever bought her. It is very comfortable to drive. Lots of room. Nice interior and trim.

I probably am not going the Toyota route with my next truck unless I get lucky and find a crew-max with low miles for a really good price.
Posted By: broomd Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
Fantastic runners, but ridiculous mileage.
I won't own a newer Tundra again until they can get an honest 20mpg on the road.

Anyone that says they have an '07-up Tundra 4wd that gets 20 mpg is full of crap.
Posted By: SeanD Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
[Linked Image]
I drove about 300 miles today back to Fairview. Nice comfortable ride, and I still had gas in the tank😂. The Tundras are built the way a half ton should be.

One thing that I might be concerned about, is the lack of a block heater. I was told they don’t install them.

The messenger might have meant that you can't get them as a factory installed item in the USA. But you can still install a block heater.

If you want an OEM part ask the dealer to get it from Canaduh.

That being said, I didn't install one in mine when I lived in Havre. I never had any issues leaving work or ending out a day in the field. But my garage was heated to I didn't start it cold a whole helluva lot.

Some motors seem to handle the cold better than others and the 5.7 seemed to do really well. Probably because it takes a long time to freeze 8 quarts of oil. LOL.
Posted By: PPosey Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
I know I'm in the minority but would love to have a manual transmission in my tundra, paired to the 5.7 would have to improve gas milage here in the mountains.
I get just 15 in the city.

18 on the road.

I drive fast.
Posted By: Wrongside Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
Resale for the Tundra is without peer by the way.

Yup. And if resale doesn't sway you, long-term reliability stats are pretty heavily in the Toyota's favour too...

[img]https://imgur.com/a/L4UJsbD[/img]
https://www.thedrive.com/news/28605/these-are-the-pickup-trucks-with-the-most-recalls-so-far-in-2019

Since we're only halfway through 2019, we'll take a look at last year's numbers first. These figures are available at NHTSA.org and you can search for your own vehicle's recall history, no matter the make, model, or year, so long as it's within the administration's record-keeping parameters.

2018 Ford F-150: 9 recalls, 264 complaints
2018 Ram 1500: 8 recalls, 49 complaints
2018 Toyota Tundra: 4 recalls, 37 complaints
2018 Nissan Titan: 1 recall, 8 complaints
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 1500: 0 recalls, 46 complaints

Now, though, we look at 2019 model year figures which include information for new-generation trucks such as the Chevy Silverado and Ram 1500. Keep in mind that these numbers are up to date as of June 19.

2019 Ram 1500: 10 recalls, 115 complaints
2019 Toyota Tundra: 4 recalls, 6 complaints
2019 Ford F-150: 2 recalls, 10 complaints
2019 Chevrolet Silverado: 1 recall, 19 complaints
2019 Nissan Titan: 0 recalls, 1 complaint
Posted By: AnsonRogers Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
I am aware of only one "recall" on my 2019 Tundra to fix a possible problem that I didn't have. Reseal a wave guide sensor in the automatic braking system. It was done at my second "free" oil change and checkup. Two more of those to go.

No complaints here!
Posted By: cfran Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
Toyota shouldn’t have recalls, their technology has been static for a decade on the Tundra. While reliable, I’d argue everything is pretty reliable. Furthermore the design/features are incredibly long in the tooth for Toyota. And mileage is horrible.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/28605/these-are-the-pickup-trucks-with-the-most-recalls-so-far-in-2019

Since we're only halfway through 2019, we'll take a look at last year's numbers first. These figures are available at NHTSA.org and you can search for your own vehicle's recall history, no matter the make, model, or year, so long as it's within the administration's record-keeping parameters.

Now, though, we look at 2019 model year figures which include information for new-generation trucks such as the Chevy Silverado and Ram 1500. Keep in mind that these numbers are up to date as of June 19.

LOL.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
[quote=broomd]Fantastic runners, but ridiculous mileage.
I won't own a newer Tundra again until they can get an honest 20mpg on the road.

Anyone that says they have an '07-up Tundra 4wd that gets 20 mpg is full of crap.[/quot
Did you mean getting 20mpg all the time or just frequently? I get 20mpg once in awhile on the highway. Empty and driving around 65 mph or under. And not bucking our Wyoming wind. If you drive it fast and hard you sure won't. I ain't in a hurry like you I guess.
Posted By: walt501 Re: Tundra - 01/13/20

When you build the SAME TRUCK for 14 YEARS IN A ROW, you might get the bugs worked out. But, that's not the American way. Never has been , never will be. When the Tundra came out, 20mpg out of any pickup was unheard of. Today, it's commonplace. . It's called progress. And look at the one complaint for the Nissan thing. I've seen ONE on the road - that's probably the one they're complaining about!
Originally Posted by cfran
Toyota shouldn’t have recalls, their technology has been static for a decade on the Tundra. While reliable, I’d argue everything is pretty reliable. Furthermore the design/features are incredibly long in the tooth for Toyota. And mileage is horrible.

Not really. The recall is for a front collision sensor which is new technology in the tundra as of 2018. Its standard equipment on all tundras. When I was looking at F150’s I would have had to get a pretty high end package to get the sensors, not standard on all F150’s.

Fact:

2018 Tundra 55k sold
2018 F150 451k sold

Given there are 8 times as many F150’s on the market how does that influence your view on the above results? At least from a complaint standpoint. Seems to reason the Tundra doesn’t stack up that well . . .
Originally Posted by broomd

Anyone that says they have an '07-up Tundra 4wd that gets 20 mpg is full of crap.

If you drive like a Boomer it can get 20ish easily.
Originally Posted by SeanD

Not really. The recall is for a front collision sensor which is new technology in the tundra as of 2018. Its standard equipment on all tundras. When I was looking at F150’s I would have had to get a pretty high end package to get the sensors, not standard on all F150’s.

Yes, you are correct. But 98% of the truck has NOT changed however.
I get just 15 in the city.

18 on the road.

I drive fast.

Fuelly.com is the accepted source for automotive fuel economy. Let's take a look at the Tundra, shall we?

Click Here

Well look at that, the Tundra gets a whopping 14 miles per gallon. And no more.

14mpg - LOL!
So, the Fire does have a truck section, you all know that right?

Click Here

So tell me, why are Toyota owners posting their crap in the general forum?

Two possible answers that I can see.

1. Insecurity, they need constant stroking from fellow yoda owners, who are also insecure about their vehicle.

2. Outright trolling by yoda bots.
Posted By: 4winds Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
To this day, I can't believe anyone using a truck would make gas mileage their make or break priority! ALL trucks have schittty gas mileage.

The Tundra has a lot of great features where it counts for a truck and the damn thing will run.

Buy the goofy Tesla truck if you're that worried about your gas bill.
Originally Posted by 4winds
To this day, I can't believe anyone using a truck would make gas mileage their make or break priority! ALL trucks have schittty gas mileage.

The Tundra has a lot of great features where it counts for a truck and the damn thing will run.

Gas mileage, average performance, decade old technology . . .

Granted you get really good resale, but other than that’s it’s a truck that’s well past it’s prime. RAM & F150 easily beat it in about every category, not even debatable.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
Bought my 2020 “shiny primer” back in August. One oil change. A couple thousand mike to Wyoming and back. Driving 75+ I’m around 15mpg. Slow it down to the 70 mph speed limit and state highways it’s 16mpg it a bit better. I have no regrets with my purchase. Kept my 2006 Super Duty for real truck work.

Rented a new Silverado 4wd to drive from DFW back to Missouri Saturday. It was pushing 19 mpg driving 80. No clue what motor or rear end in it. To me the seats were too low and dash was too high. Felt like I was sitting in a hole.

The Tundra might be old tech, but I know I won’t have the AFM issues I had with a GM 5.3. Tundra’s transmission isn't dropping a couple gears to pull a hill either. It might not be as efficient, but we will see how the longevity holds up in 250k miles. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Traveler52 Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
What kind of millage are you guys getting out of your Tundra's?
Originally Posted by walt501
So, the Fire does have a truck section, you all know that right?

Click Here

So tell me, why are Toyota owners posting their crap in the general forum?

Two possible answers that I can see.

1. Insecurity, they need constant stroking from fellow yoda owners, who are also insecure about their vehicle.

2. Outright trolling by yoda bots.

Are you sure you’re not from Michigan?
Originally Posted by Traveler52

Are you sure you’re not from Texas?

Granted you get really good resale, but other than that’s it’s a truck that’s well past it’s prime. RAM & F150 easily beat it in about every category, not even debatable.

Ford makes a nice 1/2 ton but please spare us the bullschit.
RAM & F150 easily beat it in about every category, not even debatable.

Sure it's debatable, they're made by Ford and Dodge. I'll never own another Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep product and never have and never will own anything Ford. Have had great luck with Chevrolet, but the only truck they currently produce that interested me at all is their Colorado ZR2, which I'd take any day over a Tacoma.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Tundra - 01/13/20

Yes, you are correct. But 98% of the truck has NOT changed however.

You are absolutely correct. The Tindra is about at the 20 year old Dakota technology level.
Posted By: Traveler52 Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I’m all ears. Happy to talk performance, tech, whatever you choose. There is a reason Toyota can’t sell but 50k of them per year, ‘cause the average joe is smarter than you.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
I owned 3 Tundras and none were problem free like my previous Toyota’s were. From major repairs like engine work, whole front axle replaced, sensors galore, warped dashes, the cheapest paint I have ever seen on a pickup , the tailgate crumbling when loading a 4 wheeler in the bed,etc. There’s a ton of Toyota fan boys out there and I was one of them for decades but there isn’t [bleep] that A Tundra gives you over the competition except for warm and fuzzys. Fuel mileage was horrendous empty and when loaded with even a small bass boat that is as aerodynamic as a trailer can be the fuel mileage would resemble that of pulling a large travel trailer. The damn thing couldn’t make it up the slightest grade without downshifting constantly. Guys that think they are a beast towing haven’t driven a competitors truck or they’d realize the Tundra is lacking. Now with all that said each guy should buy whatever tickles their fancy and it’s awesome that we have as many choices as we do these days on a bunch of great trucks that are way more reliable than they used to be.

Oh and FWIW the whole resale perk was never something I benefited from having to fight tooth and nail to get them even paid off so I don’t know where that theory comes into play!
And for the record when Toyota does a refresh on the Tundra I’d be willing to bet it might be the half ton to buy. That tells you what I think of Toyota. Have owned a few of them over the years. But sick of them milking an outdated truck only trading on its reputation.
I owned 3 Tundras and none were problem free like my previous Toyota’s were. From major repairs like engine work, whole front axle replaced, sensors galore, warped dashes, the cheapest paint I have ever seen on a pickup , the tailgate crumbling when loading a 4 wheeler in the bed,etc. There’s a ton of Toyota fan boys out there and I was one of them for decades but there isn’t [bleep] that A Tundra gives you over the competition except for warm and fuzzys. Fuel mileage was horrendous empty and when loaded with even a small bass boat that is as aerodynamic as a trailer can be the fuel mileage would resemble that of pulling a large travel trailer. The damn thing couldn’t make it up the slightest grade without downshifting constantly. Guys that think they are a beast towing haven’t driven a competitors truck or they’d realize the Tundra is lacking. Now with all that said each guy should buy whatever tickles their fancy and it’s awesome that we have as many choices as we do these days on a bunch of great trucks that are way more reliable than they used to be.

Good to see true experience showing itself.
Posted By: Folically_Challenged Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by MM879
You are absolutely correct. The Tundra is about at the 20 year old Dakota technology level.

I'd not necessarily view that as a bad thing, given the growing pain$ that have been experienced with AFM, CVT, GDI, Start/Stop, Small Displacement + Turbo, various electronic gizmos, etc. Something that just works, and does so for a lotta miles, still has cachet for many.

FC

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. (Toyota put down).

(Then)
Now with all that said each guy should buy whatever tickles their fancy and it’s awesome that we have as many choices as we do these days on a bunch of great trucks that are way more reliable than they used to be.

Oh and FWIW the whole resale perk was never something I benefited from having to fight tooth and nail to get them even paid off so I don’t know where that theory comes into play!

Laughing..
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Tundra - 01/13/20

I drive an 08, 5.7 4x4....NO TOW PACKAGE....and the first interstate trip I took in it I got 20 mpg. It was consistent at 20 mpg if I drove easy with interstate driving. I've got different tires on it now and will only get 18-19 on an easy interstate...if I'm light footed. I don't know if the lack of tow package makes a difference or not. I do know that if I drive easy or "normal" it does....I don't drive easy very often.

Exactly. You can throw as many turbos you want on a 6 cyl. to turn it into an 8 cyl. But pressure is a nasty bitch and will have it's due come much sooner than the 8. I'd entertain an F150 with a V8 only! You can keep the Dodge.

Updated technology can become a bigger curse than benefit. My wife's car was a hybrid Sonata with all the latest tech and cost me 4500+ dollars in maintenance which somehow escaped their "great warranty" all of it due to their overly complicated hybrid system. I couldn't wait to trade that in on a naturally aspirated V6 Toyota Avalon that is 10 times the car and quite evidently so at the cost of better gas mileage - oh the horror! When we were shopping for her car I asked the Toyota sales guy about the next generation Tundra and his tail started wagging about the greatest Tundra ever with turbos and a hybrid engine, blah blah...I told him I'll get a straight breathing V8 F150 or an older Tundra if that was the case.

Technological advancement is fine but the manufacturers are really adamant about turning trucks into cars thanks to constantly "updating" technology so all the urban badasses can slap their Yeti stickers in the back window and feel like they accomplished something for 75,000 every other year.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
This schit keeps up and the horse & buggy may just become obsolete.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. (Toyota put down).

(Then)
Now with all that said each guy should buy whatever tickles their fancy and it’s awesome that we have as many choices as we do these days on a bunch of great trucks that are way more reliable than they used to be.

Laughing..

If you consider honest ownership experience a Toyota put down then I don’t know what to tell you. I can tell you that the other two trucks in my driveway are Toyota’s but neither is a Tundra. Now if they actually bring the Tundra into the 20th century there might be one in my driveway , but it won’t be the current Dakota version!
Posted By: MM879 Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by MM879
You are absolutely correct. The Tundra is about at the 20 year old Dakota technology level.

I'd not necessarily view that as a bad thing, given the growing pain$ that have been experienced with AFM, CVT, GDI, Start/Stop, Small Displacement + Turbo, various electronic gizmos, etc. Something that just works, and does so for a lotta miles, still has cachet for many.

FC

Please quote me correctly. I said "Tindra"

Which year Tundras did you own?
And for the record when Toyota does a refresh on the Tundra I’d be willing to bet it might be the half ton to buy. That tells you what I think of Toyota. Have owned a few of them over the years. But sick of them milking an outdated truck only trading on its reputation.

Minnesoooooduh!

07,10 and 13
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

IDK, if they added a couple fans like a turbo up those horses asses they might get a little more hitch in their giddy up.

Heated coach seats are the bomb though!
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
[quote=broomd]Fantastic runners, but ridiculous mileage.

Anyone that says they have an '07-up Tundra 4wd that gets 20 mpg is full of crap.[/quot
Did you mean getting 20mpg all the time or just frequently? I get 20mpg once in awhile on the highway. Empty and driving around 65 mph or under. And not bucking our Wyoming wind. If you drive it fast and hard you sure won't. I ain't in a hurry like you I guess.

I mean real world, consistent road mileage in 2wd.

My 2008 4.6 gave me 20.1 mpg once. ONCE.

I was driving largely downhill with a tailwind for about three hours. I got the '20'...and it was in no means reflective of a an economical truck.
That same stretch of road would have yielded 25 mpg with a Ford ecoboost or Chevy, and likely 32 mpg with a Dodge ecodiesel.
yep x2

Exactly. You can throw as many turbos you want on a 6 cyl. to turn it into an 8 cyl. But pressure is a nasty bitch and will have it's due come much sooner than the 8. I'd entertain an F150 with a V8 only! You can keep the Dodge.

Updated technology can become a bigger curse than benefit. My wife's car was a hybrid Sonata with all the latest tech and cost me 4500+ dollars in maintenance which somehow escaped their "great warranty" all of it due to their overly complicated hybrid system. I couldn't wait to trade that in on a naturally aspirated V6 Toyota Avalon that is 10 times the car and quite evidently so at the cost of better gas mileage - oh the horror! When we were shopping for her car I asked the Toyota sales guy about the next generation Tundra and his tail started wagging about the greatest Tundra ever with turbos and a hybrid engine, blah blah...I told him I'll get a straight breathing V8 F150 or an older Tundra if that was the case.

Technological advancement is fine but the manufacturers are really adamant about turning trucks into cars thanks to constantly "updating" technology so all the urban badasses can slap their Yeti stickers in the back window and feel like they accomplished something for 75,000 every other year.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I drive an 08, 5.7 4x4....NO TOW PACKAGE....and the first interstate trip I took in it I got 20 mpg. It was consistent at 20 mpg if I drove easy with interstate driving. I've got different tires on it now and will only get 18-19 on an easy interstate...if I'm light footed. I don't know if the lack of tow package makes a difference or not. I do know that if I drive easy or "normal" it does....I don't drive easy very often.

Sorry, don't believe it.

Not saying you're a liar, it isn't personal, but guys are fan boys and say they get CONSISTENT 20 mpg. Don't believe it. Not possible for typical driving conditions. No magic potion in your motor.
I really like the Tundra series trucks, don't get me wrong. I currently have an older 2001-due to my T-100 getting stolen-but my 4.7 mileage is a joke. At least my '95 T-100 gave me 20-21mpg on the road.

Same old ridiculous argument justifying piss-poor mileage just because 'it's a truck'...keep telling yourself that as you fill up.

07,10 and 13

Don't buy lotto tickets.

(Then)

Laughing..

I remember when Roland bought his first Tundra brand new, he had a spankin' new long bed 2007, I was in awe of the damn thing.... He wanted to love it but it was kicking his ass with issues. How can the real -world experience of buying new Tundras not be credible?

Your "toyota put down" shtick is laughable. The dude spent major bones on what should have been trouble-free rides. I hope he's right about the '21's. Maybe I'll own one. Toyota/Lexus is still my fave manufacturer, but their trucks are due.

Same old ridiculous argument justifying piss-poor mileage just because 'it's a truck'...keep telling yourself that as you fill up.

All trucks have crappy mileage. There's no need to justify that! It's just the truth and it's not going to change until they come out with one that is all electric, works in the cold and runs for 1000+ miles. Which isn't coming anytime soon. It comes down to application and the physics behind it.

At a minimum a truck needs to haul/pull heavy schitt and keep running. Gas mileage isn't in that equation, anywhere!

Please don't quote the Dodge POS Italian built diesels, you might get the 1 out of 20,000 of them built that actually gets 30 miles/ gallon but the maintenance costs will have you begging for a 1987 Chevy Silverado that locks the lugs on the wheels. But hey, if it's in the shop all the time at least you won't be running much fuel through the tanks!

The rest are still in the 12-25 miles per gallon range and most of those don't come close to the advertised sticker on the window. All the fuel savings stuff has been shoved down our throats thanks to Obama's EPA mandates which is breeding the turbos and other complicated crap to meet the standards. It's embarrassing.

Like I mentioned above, I had a hybrid car that saved less than 5 miles/gallon over the regular 4 cylinder car to the tune of around 35 miles/gallon - NOT the 43 miles/gallon it was stickered for! And cost me 4500 in repair bills over 3 years - factor that cost in and you'll rush to less complicated vehicles as well. While we're at it, there isn't a truck anywhere that is going to beat a sedan for fuel savings and you're not going to notice a huge financial savings in most cases within 5mpg anyway.

IDGAF who the manufacturer is as long as it does what it's supposed to do without the headaches. I have owned all of them in trucks over the past 25 years, except for the Nissans, and for me the best one out there is the one that is paid off and doesn't fall apart shortly after! Brand loyalty doesn't mean schitt unless they're sending you a paycheck to preach their sales pitches to the masses. The rest is and should be predicated on a reputation earned, not because your grandaddy drove a GMC to vote democrat at the polls so you and everybody else should too!

YMMV
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

IDK, if they added a couple fans like a turbo up those horses asses they might get a little more hitch in their giddy up.

Heated coach seats are the bomb though!

Oh it's likely Toyota will offer a twin turbo V6 in a future Tundra. A 3.5 liter twin turbo V6. Sound familiar? Yep, Ford came out with their twin turbo Ecoboost 3.5 liter V6 for the F150 years ago and the Ecoboost engines are now the number one choice for new F150 buyers. This engine was introduced by Ford in 2009, so that will help Toyota race into the future by a year or so. I wonder how may Ford engines Toyota disassembled to come up with their V6 engine? Will the parts be interchangeable? This would make sense, as Toyota engineers took apart a Dodge Ram truck in a Seattle warehouse in order to come up with the Tundra in the first place. The ONLY way Asian automakers advance is by stealing from Western Automakers. Stolen technology - how Asia moves forward. Pathetic.

Click Here
You can keep paying 20% - 25% more for your fill ups then, that’s cool with me. Tundra’s at 14 MPG, enjoy that buddy.
I get that when I am pulling a 5k trailer. Adds up.
Glad I don't get cabin fever in Georgia.

I really don't care if Toyota copied a rubber band engine from a toy car.

I'd drive a Tesla pickup if it wasn't so damned ugly and you could make it up the street without freezing up in the winter or need a charge to get back to the house after buying your bucket of chicken from Popeyes.

Personal preferences I guess. I'd take the Triton V8 and pass on the turbo crap. Obama was the number one choice for Americans for 8 years, I'll never vote for the [bleep].

This may come as a shock to you Walt! Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, etc. share a lot of parts from the same vendors. A good bit of it comes from China now. And in 2007, at least, my Tundra was made in Texas with almost all American parts. Which I really don't care about!

Enjoying those Portugese made Model 70's anybody?
You can keep paying 20% - 25% more for your fill ups then, that’s cool with me. Tundra’s at 14 MPG, enjoy that buddy.

Thanks, I got about the same MPG when I pulled my 5K trailer!

And when you aren’t you still get 14.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Tundra - 01/13/20

i have an 02 xterra that we call the dog car, for transporting the goldens. I have taken it into areas i don't think nissan intended for them.
i think of replacing it, they don't make xterra's anymore, with either the 4runner, or replacing my dodge diesel with the tundra. the diesel is a 9 8 with only about 170k on it and i hate to do that. I like the tundra's but the gas milage kind of stops me.
I'll drive my Tundra for the next couple of years and see how it goes. If I decide I don't like it, I'll bet I can get every penny I paid back out of it.

So does replacing transmissions, engines, front ends, turbos in your trucks

And when you aren’t you still get 14.

Nope.

If I drive like a boomer, 15 City and 18 Hwy.

When I drive like the Bandit, much much less.

I love the passion you idiots exhibit over Viking buying a truck.

TFF.
Originally Posted by ribka

So does replacing transmissions, engines, front ends, turbos in your trucks

Thank You. You just took the words out of my mouth

No Dodge experience, but I've done that with both Chevys and Fords and have all the receipts to prove it..
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
My first Tundra was an ‘07 short bed regular cab 4x4 with the 4.7L V8. It was a good solid vehicle with one exception. The air injection pumps and valves failed after the 36,000 mile warranty was up. I was looking at a $3k repair bill but the problem was so widespread that Toyota extended the warranty to those parts to ten years or 150,000 miles. Once repaired I had no further major issues with that truck. It averaged about 15.5 mpg in my daily commute, which is 30 miles one way. About 25 of it is farm to market or US highway with 70 to 75mph speed limits. On long distance highway driving with the cruise set on 75, it got about 17.5 mpg.

When that truck had about 175,000 miles on it, I traded it in on a ‘10 model that was identical but had the 5.7L V8. That truck had about 90,000 miles on it when I traded for it. It has been a pretty good truck but only getting 14.5mpg on the same daily commute. On extended highway trips with cruise set at 75, it gets about 16.5mpg. A couple of days ago, it gave me a flashing traction control, a flashing 4 Lo and a steady check engine light and went into the limp mode. Took it to the local O’Reilly’s and had them read the codes for me. Same issue as the ‘07, air injection valve stuck open. Problem this time is the truck now has 172,000 miles on it so those parts are not covered by Toyota’s extended warranty. The O’Reilly guy cleared the code for me, and so far, it has not reoccurred. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Both trucks also had the electric window mechanism fail after water intrusion followed by the water freezing.

The air injection problems are pretty well known and widespread so I would caution prospective buyers to be aware of that.

My truck has to be my daily driver and I have a long commute So I really wish for better milage. I do some towing, maybe a load of cows/calves a few times a year and the Tundra does ok with the 16’ trailer full of cattle.

When I replace this Tundra I will likely try one of the Ford F150s with the 3.5L eco boost. I hope for better milage and to avoid any major repairs and I don’t tow enough to justify an F250. We’ll see...

John
Posted By: PPosey Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
Well since some of you guys started the name calling, driving the Silverado 1500 felt like I was driving a big fat car and the rear headrest in the crew cab fell down whenever you lay your head back against them, letting your head bang off the rear window. Every one on the lot did the same thing. Test driving the F-150 felt cramped in the cab no room. Ford and Chevy had too many gizmos and gadgets. As far as Dodge goes they may be nice vehicles but I drove them at work for years and there were just too many issues with things there should not have been.

The base Tundra four-by-four Crewmax is a good 4 wheelDrive that right off the showroom floor can handle moderate four-wheeling, haul a decent load and pull a decent load.

Not fancy enough for you then buy a Silverado they were fancy. gas mileage not good enough for you again get a Silverado with the motor that halfway cuts off and on off and on off and on.

Gezzz
Posted By: Hastings Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
I have a Tundra and it is a struggle to get 14 MPG (more often 12) and also a Chevrolet 1500 Work Truck with a 4.3 that regularly gets 20MPG. I figure at $2.50 a gallon that amounts to well over $5000 in 100,00 miles. 5K is a significant sum to me. I am buying a new GMC. There isn't that much difference in quality and the GMC is more comfortable. Only thing I don't like is that GM is Obama's pet.
https://thetoyotaway.org/

Some worthwhile reading. There is a reason the big three can’t hang with Toyota.

I love the passion you idiots exhibit over Viking buying a truck.

TFF.

Says the “addict” who has 900 posts in 48 hours.
Dammit Walt, stop trolling the Tundra threads.

Sunuvabitch.

Some worthwhile reading. There is a reason the big three can’t hang with Toyota.

Oh good grief. Read up on Edward Demming.

Click here

He taught the Japanese everything they knew about or will ever know about quality after WWII. An AMERICAN taught them, Asian brands have NOTHING to teach American manufacturers. Asia copies from the west, always has always will.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
If you want to contribute to the profits of a foreign company so the little weirdos can buy/build more sex robots knock yourself out. I'm sure the emperor appreciates the coin.
Originally Posted by add
Dammit Walt, stop trolling the Tundra threads.

Sunuvabitch.

I'd be happy to. IF the Yoda bots would keep their ugly truck topics in the Truck and 4 Wheel drive section of the Fire.

I won't hold my breath.
Originally Posted by walt501

Oh good grief. Read up on Edward Demming.

Click here

He taught the Japanese everything they knew about or will ever know about quality after WWII. An AMERICAN taught them, Asian brands have NOTHING to teach American manufacturers. Asia copies from the west, always has always will.

Uh huh.

He taught the Japanese. And the big three, still, are trying to catch up.
Uh huh.

He taught the Japanese. And the big three, still, are trying to catch up.

Catch up to what? 2007, when the current Tundra came out?

Thankfully, American manufacturers have progress quite a bit, Which is why FORD has stayed on top of the truck market for the past 40 years and the ancient Tundra is an also ran in the truck market.
Posted By: aalf Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
If you want to contribute to the profits of a foreign company so the little weirdos can buy/build more sex robots knock yourself out. I'm sure the emperor appreciates the coin.

Gotta build the robots cause their boatload of beaver dicks got shanghaied......

You had me at "sex robot."
Dammit Walt, now just knock it off.

(Then)

Laughing..

I remember when Roland bought his first Tundra brand new, he had a spankin' new long bed 2007, I was in awe of the damn thing.... He wanted to love it but it was kicking his ass with issues. How can the real -world experience of buying new Tundras not be credible?

Your "toyota put down" shtick is laughable. The dude spent major bones on what should have been trouble-free rides. I hope he's right about the '21's. Maybe I'll own one. Toyota/Lexus is still my fave manufacturer, but their trucks are due.

You two are cute together. Got a selfie? smile
Posted By: northcountry Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
RAM & F150 easily beat it in about every category, not even debatable.

Sure it's debatable, they're made by Ford and Dodge. I'll never own another Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep product and never have and never will own anything Ford. Have had great luck with Chevrolet, but the only truck they currently produce that interested me at all is their Colorado ZR2, which I'd take any day over a Tacoma.

Sir I have a news flash for you I would not own a GMC product if you give it to me. Remember when
GMC started doing Diesels back about 1978/79 I bought one of them, what a nightmare : 4 engines and only 60K I got rid of it; GMC gave me as a settlement $1800.00 and I had over 10K
expenses in repairs because of this. Swore off of GMC and still do today will not even rent one.That is my experience with GMC. Cheers NC
I just went and gave my Toyota's a stern talking to.

Hopefully they turn into big pieces of schit by morning.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
As I have said before---
The Tundra is the truck that Detriot wishes it could build!!
Posted By: dubePA Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
A buddy went from Chevy to Tundra about nine or ten years ago. Had two Tundras, then showed up last spring in a new crew cab 4x4 RAM 1500. Asked him WTF was up, since he'd spent years extolling the supremacy of the Tundra.and mocking those of us with Chevy and RAM half tons.

Told me he couldn't make a deal on another new Tundra and they were giving RAMs away. Then someone else spoke up and noted that the real reason, was that after all that time he got tired of 16-17 MPG with a Tundra and the RAM was doing 22 highway.

I don't mention it to him anymore, because it seems to really upset him? Toyota trucks do seem to hold their value very well, as I've never seen a used one that wasn't priced well above the same year Ford, Chevy or RAM? And Toyota's idea of a "big deal" on anything new, seems to peak at about $1K below sticker?

One BIL used to be a big Toyota slut, had a couple Tacomas. Until his wife's new Camry ate a transmission or two. She got a new one under our Lemon Law. He traded his last Taco on a new Chevy Colorado Z71. Drive what ya like, I'll do the same.
Originally Posted by TBREW401
As I have said before---
The Tundra is the truck that Detriot wishes it could build!!

They can.

They choose not to.
Originally Posted by dubePA
A buddy went from Chevy to Tundra about nine or ten years ago. Had two Tundras, then showed up last spring in a new crew cab 4x4 RAM 1500. Asked him WTF was up, since he'd spent years extolling the supremacy of the Tundra.and mocking those of us with Chevy and RAM half tons.

Told me he couldn't make a deal on another new Tundra and they were giving RAMs away. Then someone else spoke up and noted that the real reason, was that after all that time he got tired of 16-17 MPG with a Tundra and the RAM was doing 22 highway.

I don't mention it to him anymore, because it seems to really upset him? Toyota trucks do seem to hold their value very well, as I've never seen a used one that wasn't priced well above the same year Ford, Chevy or RAM? And Toyota's idea of a "big deal" on anything new, seems to peak at about $1K below sticker?

One BIL used to be a big Toyota slut, had a couple Tacomas. Until his wife's new Camry ate a transmission or two. She got a new one under our Lemon Law. He traded his last Taco on a new Chevy Colorado Z71. Drive what ya like, I'll do the same.

Yeah those Camry's are a real POS.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
Poor ride, sit on the floor, guzzle gas??

Yeah...they built them 30 years ago. Have since moved on.

Surprised that Toyota uses solid state ignition.
Reversed engineered Japanese POS.
Walt!!
Tomorrow we'll learn that Honda's small engines suck.
Posted By: Slidellkid Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
My best bud had a 2014 Tundra; nice truck, but he said it freaking drank the gas. He started having transmission problems at 60k and quickly got rid of it.

I have 192,000 trouble free miles on my 2011 F150 with the Ecoboost. It gets 20mpg on the highway all day long. Tremendous pulling power. Put it into 4x4 and turn on the locking differential and it turns into a freaking tank. My brother's 2018 4x4 F150 with the Ecoboost is getting a smooth 22.5 miles per gallon on the highway (hand calculated). Several friends with the same truck with no major problems. I will be ready for a new truck in 2-3 years and will certainly check out Toyota, but it will be a deal breaker if I have to spend an extra 1-2 grand each year to feed it versus the F150.

The Tundra also has the worst crash rating of any full size truck on the highway which indicates that their safety technology, in addition to the rest of their technology, is way behind the major automakers. You can google/youtube it for yourself if you don't believe it. Ford has the best crash rating.

No flies on the Tundra, but my last three trucks have been Fords and all of them have served me exceedingly well with each reaching over 200k miles before I purchased another.

Well, that is true.

I fired up my 13 horse Predator this morning at 10 below.

For the money......................Haha!
Toyota makes wonderful pickups.......you just cant buy them here.

Diesel Hilux is the only good thing that Toyota makes. And they are great.

Hopefully they come out with a King Ranch Toyota some day.......
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
Never fails...the "conservative Democrats" are gonna show up every time and try to bully.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

When in the fugk did you drive a Diesel Hilux?

Well, that is true.

I have a Titan genny, which I've been told is a korean knock off of a honda? I dunno, but I fire that bitch up like once a year and she never disappoints.

Points to the Koreans. smile But I bought it second hand so none of my coin went to the emperor. Or his sex robot team.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
Lol...if ANYTHING should piss the American consumer off, it's the fact that the Hilux is banned from this country. 1/4 of this country depends on engineered obsolescence to make a buck.

Well, that is true.

I have a Titan genny, which I've been told is a korean knock off of a honda? I dunno, but I fire that bitch up like once a year and she never disappoints.

Points to the Koreans. smile But I bought it second hand so none of my coin went to the emperor. Or his sex robot team.

If only Harbor Freight started to sell 1/2 ton pickups...

I laughed really hard at that

I laughed really hard at that

That's what she said.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Tundra - 01/13/20

AGREED X2

my Silverado 5.3, 4x4, full size 4 door, 6 ft. box gets 17-19 mpg and thats pedal to the medal, lead`n the pack and pass`n !pullin a trailer i get 14 mpg. i support American made,apple pie, only American soldiers and Trump 2020 !
I guess all the Americans assembling, delivering, and selling those Tundra's are ass out.

Long live the Harbor Freight generator!!!!
I'm typing this on an Apple product by the way.

Arisaka leaning in the corner.
Posted By: Ejp1234 Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
Gotta support those mexicans down there in Silao... go chevy!!

Love my Kentucky built Tundra. Its my 2nd Tundra. They’ve treated me so well my wife has a Toyota... my parents saw the service we got and 100% yota as well after growing up 100% bow tie.

I prefer a company who doesnt like mexico and doesnt take that bail out $$..

The real MAGA, no pretend crap here.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
Well I'm sending my coin to the cartels. Label on the door of my Silverado say assembled in Mexico.
I guess that's better than the emperor, no?

Back in Nam.

Well....New Zealand actually.

I would give your left nut for a diesel Hilux.
They are cool.
I guess all the Americans assembling, delivering, and selling those Tundra's are ass out.

Great value the predator generator .Have two.

Wonder when harbor freight will come out with an American made, union labor built cheap sex robot that can bleed?

Wonder when harbor freight will come out with an American made, union labor built cheap sex robot that can bleed?

Everyone has a fetish I guess... yours is just very unique.

Gruff already got one of those in his shop.

Said it was a robot anyway.
Huh?

Originally Posted by Ejp1234

I hope the Tundra comes out with the Lexus TTV6 and a new transmission. 500+ ftlb's of torque and better MPG wouldn't suck at all.
Huh?

“American made, union labor built cheap sex robot that can bleed”
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Tundra - 01/13/20
If the Hilux was imported, they couldn't make them fast enough--
Posted By: ribka Re: Tundra - 01/14/20
Well, Im flattered a beta tranny quote my post 2 times!

Huh?

“American made, union labor built cheap sex robot that can bleed”
Posted By: lynntelk Re: Tundra - 01/14/20
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I hope the Tundra comes out with the Lexus TTV6 and a new transmission. 500+ ftlb's of torque and better MPG wouldn't suck at all.

They are now saying 2022 now.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Tundra - 01/14/20
Gotta support those mexicans down there in Silao... go chevy!!

Love my Kentucky built Tundra. Its my 2nd Tundra. They’ve treated me so well my wife has a Toyota... my parents saw the service we got and 100% yota as well after growing up 100% bow tie.

I prefer a company who doesnt like mexico and doesnt take that bail out $$..

The real MAGA, no pretend crap here.

Although they are union free as far as I've heard (which id to be commended) profits still go to build sex robots on the home islands. If you're cool with that good for you. I'm not.
ejp can suck a dick
Posted By: deflave Re: Tundra - 01/14/20

Although they are union free as far as I've heard (which id to be commended) profits still go to build sex robots on the home islands. If you're cool with that good for you. I'm not.

What in the fugk are you babbling about tonight?
ejp can suck a dick

What did he charge?

(asking for a friend)

figgun retards extolling the supposed virtues of nip cars
ejp can suck a dick

What did he charge?

(asking for a friend)

Said she can, not that she did. Though that's probably a foregone conclusion at this point
Calm down.

Geeze.
Calm down.

Geeze.

'

Thats what she said
Posted By: SeanD Re: Tundra - 01/14/20
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Never fails...the "conservative Democrats" are gonna show up every time and try to bully.

Wait... are those true union guys that like taxpayer forced/funded pensions?
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Tundra - 01/19/20
Cruising Youtube this morning, I see another Tundra hit the million mile mark. I have a Peterbilt that wore out before that.
Posted By: ribka Re: Tundra - 01/19/20

Me so luv my Tundra
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Tundra - 01/19/20
I have a 2017 Tundra 4x4 TRD with ~59k miles. I like it, but it's just a truck. When I'm done, I'll throw it away and buy another truck. Might be Ford, GM, RAM, or another Toyota.

Regarding MPG, fuelly.com is a good source of info. Last I checked, the average for the Tundra is ~14 MPG. There is a fair sample size, assuming people keep accurate records and report honestly. Now, check Ford, GM, and RAM. About 16 MPG, so no whopping gains like some people claim. About 14 - 15% better, which I agree is not insignificant.

Before someone says their Ford/GM/RAM does SO MUCH better than a Tundra, you'd better look at the data. And the bell curve distribution of the data. Most people get fuel mileage at or near the peak of the curve. If you're out at the tail ends, you're an outlier.

Ford F150 for an example:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]love at first sight poems

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: Terryk Re: Tundra - 01/19/20
I don't think an average of 716 owners across 17.9 million miles is valid compared to what my neighbor's cousin's father in law is getting in his F150. He hates Tundras, and has had 6 F150s in 23 years. He only gets the best.
The Tundra is really a 3/4 ton anyway, proved by the resale vale.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Tundra - 01/19/20
Geeze...all I wanted to point out was, a couple guys got a million miles on their pickups. I'm not selling goddam Toyota stock.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Tundra - 01/19/20

Should be plenty of drifts to play in on the side-streets around town today before the plows get to them. Buddy who lives in SW W Fargo has been hemmed in since Friday AM. Nissan Rogue and a Dodge Mini-Van don't cut it in wind-driven drifts.
Posted By: 79S Re: Tundra - 01/19/20

Back in Nam.

Well....New Zealand actually.

I would give your left nut for a diesel Hilux.

Toyota Hilux backbone of the Afghan Army.. until they get blown up by an IED.. They are not very IED proof..
Posted By: garddogg56 Re: Tundra - 01/20/20
Your data 4th point isn't even close to real life my 2019 with 5.0l 395 hp over her life IS getting me 18.3 mpg over 7500milesand thats average on highway I get 22mpg.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Tundra - 01/20/20
Originally Posted by garddogg56
Your data 4th point isn't even close to real life my 2019 with 5.0l 395 hp over her life IS getting me 18.3 mpg over 7500milesand thats average on highway I get 22mpg.

Not my data. And the screenshots are for the 3.5L Ecoboost.

Here's the F150 with the 5.0L. Data from 408 trucks with 10 million miles. No data on the 2019, but is it any different than the 2018 or 2017?

And note that usage conditions, or application, greatly affect fuel mileage. However, it also turns out that once you collect the data it follows a normal distribution (i.e. bell curve). Again, most people will be at or near the peak of the curve. Most likely due to similar driving behavior and vehicle application. If not, you're an outlier.

Originally Posted by Terryk
I don't think an average of 716 owners across 17.9 million miles is valid compared to what my neighbor's cousin's father in law is getting in his F150. He hates Tundras, and has had 6 F150s in 23 years. He only gets the best.

I'm glad that you picked up on that, Terry grin
Posted By: viking Re: Tundra - 01/20/20
My Chevy, according to its own computer was averaging 16.1. Now to be fair that was mostly highway miles. It is what it is.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Tundra - 01/20/20
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Here's the F150 with the 5.0L. Data from 408 trucks with 10 million miles. No data on the 2019, but is it any different than the 2018 or 2017?

And note that usage conditions, or application, greatly affect fuel mileage. However, it also turns out that once you collect the data it follows a normal distribution (i.e. bell curve). Again, most people will be at or near the peak of the curve. Most likely due to similar driving behavior and vehicle application. If not, you're an outlier.

Stop that. You well know independent fact-finding isn't allowed here. smile
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Tundra - 01/20/20
[quote=BillyGoatGruff]

figgun retards extolling the supposed virtues of nip cars[/quote

As compared to Canadian and Mexican built cars & trucks.
Posted By: add Re: Tundra - 01/20/20

Me so luv my Tundra

Long time!
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Tundra - 01/20/20
My Ford gets 8 and thats the way I like it!
© 24hourcampfire