Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I owned 3 Tundras and none were problem free like my previous Toyota’s were. From major repairs like engine work, whole front axle replaced, sensors galore, warped dashes, the cheapest paint I have ever seen on a pickup , the tailgate crumbling when loading a 4 wheeler in the bed,etc. There’s a ton of Toyota fan boys out there and I was one of them for decades but there isn’t [bleep] that A Tundra gives you over the competition except for warm and fuzzys. Fuel mileage was horrendous empty and when loaded with even a small bass boat that is as aerodynamic as a trailer can be the fuel mileage would resemble that of pulling a large travel trailer. The damn thing couldn’t make it up the slightest grade without downshifting constantly. Guys that think they are a beast towing haven’t driven a competitors truck or they’d realize the Tundra is lacking. Now with all that said each guy should buy whatever tickles their fancy and it’s awesome that we have as many choices as we do these days on a bunch of great trucks that are way more reliable than they used to be.

Good to see true experience showing itself.

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by MM879
You are absolutely correct. The Tundra is about at the 20 year old Dakota technology level.

I'd not necessarily view that as a bad thing, given the growing pain$ that have been experienced with AFM, CVT, GDI, Start/Stop, Small Displacement + Turbo, various electronic gizmos, etc. Something that just works, and does so for a lotta miles, still has cachet for many.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. (Toyota put down).

(Then)
Now with all that said each guy should buy whatever tickles their fancy and it’s awesome that we have as many choices as we do these days on a bunch of great trucks that are way more reliable than they used to be.

Oh and FWIW the whole resale perk was never something I benefited from having to fight tooth and nail to get them even paid off so I don’t know where that theory comes into play!

Laughing..

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by broomd
Fantastic runners, but ridiculous mileage.
I won't own a newer Tundra again until they can get an honest 20mpg on the road.

Anyone that says they have an '07-up Tundra 4wd that gets 20 mpg is full of crap.

I drive an 08, 5.7 4x4....NO TOW PACKAGE....and the first interstate trip I took in it I got 20 mpg. It was consistent at 20 mpg if I drove easy with interstate driving. I've got different tires on it now and will only get 18-19 on an easy interstate...if I'm light footed. I don't know if the lack of tow package makes a difference or not. I do know that if I drive easy or "normal" it does....I don't drive easy very often.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by cfran
Originally Posted by 4winds
To this day, I can't believe anyone using a truck would make gas mileage their make or break priority! ALL trucks have schittty gas mileage.

The Tundra has a lot of great features where it counts for a truck and the damn thing will run.

Buy the goofy Tesla truck if you're that worried about your gas bill.

Gas mileage, average performance, decade old technology . . .

Granted you get really good resale, but other than that’s it’s a truck that’s well past it’s prime. RAM & F150 easily beat it in about every category, not even debatable.

Ford makes a nice 1/2 ton but please spare us the bullschit.

Exactly. You can throw as many turbos you want on a 6 cyl. to turn it into an 8 cyl. But pressure is a nasty bitch and will have it's due come much sooner than the 8. I'd entertain an F150 with a V8 only! You can keep the Dodge.

Updated technology can become a bigger curse than benefit. My wife's car was a hybrid Sonata with all the latest tech and cost me 4500+ dollars in maintenance which somehow escaped their "great warranty" all of it due to their overly complicated hybrid system. I couldn't wait to trade that in on a naturally aspirated V6 Toyota Avalon that is 10 times the car and quite evidently so at the cost of better gas mileage - oh the horror! When we were shopping for her car I asked the Toyota sales guy about the next generation Tundra and his tail started wagging about the greatest Tundra ever with turbos and a hybrid engine, blah blah...I told him I'll get a straight breathing V8 F150 or an older Tundra if that was the case.

Technological advancement is fine but the manufacturers are really adamant about turning trucks into cars thanks to constantly "updating" technology so all the urban badasses can slap their Yeti stickers in the back window and feel like they accomplished something for 75,000 every other year.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This schit keeps up and the horse & buggy may just become obsolete.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by local_dirt

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. (Toyota put down).

(Then)
Now with all that said each guy should buy whatever tickles their fancy and it’s awesome that we have as many choices as we do these days on a bunch of great trucks that are way more reliable than they used to be.

Oh and FWIW the whole resale perk was never something I benefited from having to fight tooth and nail to get them even paid off so I don’t know where that theory comes into play!

Laughing..

If you consider honest ownership experience a Toyota put down then I don’t know what to tell you. I can tell you that the other two trucks in my driveway are Toyota’s but neither is a Tundra. Now if they actually bring the Tundra into the 20th century there might be one in my driveway , but it won’t be the current Dakota version!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by MM879
You are absolutely correct. The Tundra is about at the 20 year old Dakota technology level.

I'd not necessarily view that as a bad thing, given the growing pain$ that have been experienced with AFM, CVT, GDI, Start/Stop, Small Displacement + Turbo, various electronic gizmos, etc. Something that just works, and does so for a lotta miles, still has cachet for many.

FC

Please quote me correctly. I said "Tindra"

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I owned 3 Tundras and none were problem free like my previous Toyota’s were. From major repairs like engine work, whole front axle replaced, sensors galore, warped dashes, the cheapest paint I have ever seen on a pickup , the tailgate crumbling when loading a 4 wheeler in the bed,etc. There’s a ton of Toyota fan boys out there and I was one of them for decades but there isn’t [bleep] that A Tundra gives you over the competition except for warm and fuzzys. Fuel mileage was horrendous empty and when loaded with even a small bass boat that is as aerodynamic as a trailer can be the fuel mileage would resemble that of pulling a large travel trailer. The damn thing couldn’t make it up the slightest grade without downshifting constantly. Guys that think they are a beast towing haven’t driven a competitors truck or they’d realize the Tundra is lacking. Now with all that said each guy should buy whatever tickles their fancy and it’s awesome that we have as many choices as we do these days on a bunch of great trucks that are way more reliable than they used to be.

Which year Tundras did you own?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
And for the record when Toyota does a refresh on the Tundra I’d be willing to bet it might be the half ton to buy. That tells you what I think of Toyota. Have owned a few of them over the years. But sick of them milking an outdated truck only trading on its reputation.

Minnesoooooduh!

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

07,10 and 13

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

IDK, if they added a couple fans like a turbo up those horses asses they might get a little more hitch in their giddy up.

Heated coach seats are the bomb though!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
[quote=broomd]Fantastic runners, but ridiculous mileage.
I won't own a newer Tundra again until they can get an honest 20mpg on the road.

Anyone that says they have an '07-up Tundra 4wd that gets 20 mpg is full of crap.[/quot
Did you mean getting 20mpg all the time or just frequently? I get 20mpg once in awhile on the highway. Empty and driving around 65 mph or under. And not bucking our Wyoming wind. If you drive it fast and hard you sure won't. I ain't in a hurry like you I guess.

I mean real world, consistent road mileage in 2wd.

My 2008 4.6 gave me 20.1 mpg once. ONCE.

I was driving largely downhill with a tailwind for about three hours. I got the '20'...and it was in no means reflective of a an economical truck.
That same stretch of road would have yielded 25 mpg with a Ford ecoboost or Chevy, and likely 32 mpg with a Dodge ecodiesel.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
yep x2

To this day, I can't believe anyone using a truck would make gas mileage their make or break priority! ALL trucks have schittty gas mileage.

The Tundra has a lot of great features where it counts for a truck and the damn thing will run.

Gas mileage, average performance, decade old technology . . .

Granted you get really good resale, but other than that’s it’s a truck that’s well past it’s prime. RAM & F150 easily beat it in about every category, not even debatable.

Ford makes a nice 1/2 ton but please spare us the bullschit.

Exactly. You can throw as many turbos you want on a 6 cyl. to turn it into an 8 cyl. But pressure is a nasty bitch and will have it's due come much sooner than the 8. I'd entertain an F150 with a V8 only! You can keep the Dodge.

Updated technology can become a bigger curse than benefit. My wife's car was a hybrid Sonata with all the latest tech and cost me 4500+ dollars in maintenance which somehow escaped their "great warranty" all of it due to their overly complicated hybrid system. I couldn't wait to trade that in on a naturally aspirated V6 Toyota Avalon that is 10 times the car and quite evidently so at the cost of better gas mileage - oh the horror! When we were shopping for her car I asked the Toyota sales guy about the next generation Tundra and his tail started wagging about the greatest Tundra ever with turbos and a hybrid engine, blah blah...I told him I'll get a straight breathing V8 F150 or an older Tundra if that was the case.

Technological advancement is fine but the manufacturers are really adamant about turning trucks into cars thanks to constantly "updating" technology so all the urban badasses can slap their Yeti stickers in the back window and feel like they accomplished something for 75,000 every other year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Fantastic runners, but ridiculous mileage.

Anyone that says they have an '07-up Tundra 4wd that gets 20 mpg is full of crap.

I drive an 08, 5.7 4x4....NO TOW PACKAGE....and the first interstate trip I took in it I got 20 mpg. It was consistent at 20 mpg if I drove easy with interstate driving. I've got different tires on it now and will only get 18-19 on an easy interstate...if I'm light footed. I don't know if the lack of tow package makes a difference or not. I do know that if I drive easy or "normal" it does....I don't drive easy very often.

Sorry, don't believe it.

Not saying you're a liar, it isn't personal, but guys are fan boys and say they get CONSISTENT 20 mpg. Don't believe it. Not possible for typical driving conditions. No magic potion in your motor.
I really like the Tundra series trucks, don't get me wrong. I currently have an older 2001-due to my T-100 getting stolen-but my 4.7 mileage is a joke. At least my '95 T-100 gave me 20-21mpg on the road.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Same old ridiculous argument justifying piss-poor mileage just because 'it's a truck'...keep telling yourself that as you fill up.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

07,10 and 13

Don't buy lotto tickets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt

(Then)

Laughing..

I remember when Roland bought his first Tundra brand new, he had a spankin' new long bed 2007, I was in awe of the damn thing.... He wanted to love it but it was kicking his ass with issues. How can the real -world experience of buying new Tundras not be credible?

Your "toyota put down" shtick is laughable. The dude spent major bones on what should have been trouble-free rides. I hope he's right about the '21's. Maybe I'll own one. Toyota/Lexus is still my fave manufacturer, but their trucks are due.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Same old ridiculous argument justifying piss-poor mileage just because 'it's a truck'...keep telling yourself that as you fill up.

All trucks have crappy mileage. There's no need to justify that! It's just the truth and it's not going to change until they come out with one that is all electric, works in the cold and runs for 1000+ miles. Which isn't coming anytime soon. It comes down to application and the physics behind it.

At a minimum a truck needs to haul/pull heavy schitt and keep running. Gas mileage isn't in that equation, anywhere!

Please don't quote the Dodge POS Italian built diesels, you might get the 1 out of 20,000 of them built that actually gets 30 miles/ gallon but the maintenance costs will have you begging for a 1987 Chevy Silverado that locks the lugs on the wheels. But hey, if it's in the shop all the time at least you won't be running much fuel through the tanks!

The rest are still in the 12-25 miles per gallon range and most of those don't come close to the advertised sticker on the window. All the fuel savings stuff has been shoved down our throats thanks to Obama's EPA mandates which is breeding the turbos and other complicated crap to meet the standards. It's embarrassing.

Like I mentioned above, I had a hybrid car that saved less than 5 miles/gallon over the regular 4 cylinder car to the tune of around 35 miles/gallon - NOT the 43 miles/gallon it was stickered for! And cost me 4500 in repair bills over 3 years - factor that cost in and you'll rush to less complicated vehicles as well. While we're at it, there isn't a truck anywhere that is going to beat a sedan for fuel savings and you're not going to notice a huge financial savings in most cases within 5mpg anyway.

IDGAF who the manufacturer is as long as it does what it's supposed to do without the headaches. I have owned all of them in trucks over the past 25 years, except for the Nissans, and for me the best one out there is the one that is paid off and doesn't fall apart shortly after! Brand loyalty doesn't mean schitt unless they're sending you a paycheck to preach their sales pitches to the masses. The rest is and should be predicated on a reputation earned, not because your grandaddy drove a GMC to vote democrat at the polls so you and everybody else should too!

YMMV

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

IDK, if they added a couple fans like a turbo up those horses asses they might get a little more hitch in their giddy up.

Heated coach seats are the bomb though!

Oh it's likely Toyota will offer a twin turbo V6 in a future Tundra. A 3.5 liter twin turbo V6. Sound familiar? Yep, Ford came out with their twin turbo Ecoboost 3.5 liter V6 for the F150 years ago and the Ecoboost engines are now the number one choice for new F150 buyers. This engine was introduced by Ford in 2009, so that will help Toyota race into the future by a year or so. I wonder how may Ford engines Toyota disassembled to come up with their V6 engine? Will the parts be interchangeable? This would make sense, as Toyota engineers took apart a Dodge Ram truck in a Seattle warehouse in order to come up with the Tundra in the first place. The ONLY way Asian automakers advance is by stealing from Western Automakers. Stolen technology - how Asia moves forward. Pathetic.

Click Here

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 71 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,701
Posts18,513,801
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.