Home
I’d like to ask all you folks that have traveled a lot over the years chasing all sorts of different animals in all sorts of different landscapes .... what was your most enjoyable or favorite hunt you’ve been on? Was it the challenge of the hunt that made it the most enjoyable or was it maybe the scenery and landscape you enjoyed or was it maybe just the people you shared the hunt with?? I’m always looking for ideas for future hunts and animals to chase so it never hurts to know what others consider to have been great experiences for them. Life is short ... I’m always looking forward to the next hunt!
When I was a kid, Scale quail; just me and my pointer.
That green flash at sunset.
A handful of pheasant hunts in Western Kansas. Dad. Me. Brother in law. Some decent bird dogs. Plentiful birds.

This year wasn’t one of those years.
Any one of several with my son and grandson.
Deer
I just cant nail one down.

Last year dove hunting with slumlord when I couldnt feed my semi auto fast enough to stay on birds getting by me.
It was fugging pandemonium.
And I can reload that gun fast.
Bout 45 mins late afternoon literal non stop shooting with slight pause,s.
Shoot em drop em pick em up later.
That Winchester 1400 mkII ran like a champ.
Just need ta switch to a mod choke this year, lots of closer in birds got by me.
Deer hunt in Pennsylvania, 1978. My two bros-in-law and I stayed with a dairy farm family for the week. Hunted morning and afternoons, helped with farm chores mid-day. No deer taken, but had a whole lot of fun and laughter. We were three clean-cut guys in our early to mid 20's, and some of the locals suspected us of being game wardens! That part wasn't cool.

We were married to three sisters, and have all since divorced and gone our separate ways. Haven't seen either of them in over 20 years.
What I miss is squirrel hunts with a .22 in the days of my youth. The golden days of fall and lots of big fox squirrels and not a care in the world.
Those places I used to hunt are all gone, the big tree claims and abandoned farmsteads all been bulldozed long ago.
The one when Tide Jr, took his first whitetail. As a father and a guide, it was worth a mountain.
Daughter's first deer. I still love sitting on stand with her. Son's first bear. I've never seen happiness like I saw in his eyes that day.
The one I remember the most with the old man was when a doe jumped and ran hopping through the laurel fast as she could go. He swung the 742 '06 and dropped her with a head shot. I thought he was Superman after that.
In the early part of this century, my late wife and I went on a hunt near Dubois, Wy.. We had been retired a few years, had a small travel trailer, and our two goldens.. We planned to stay a month.. She had a cow moose permit, and I had a general elk tag.. We should have bought her a deer tag... First thing in the morning we drove to the top of the mountain to glass for moose.. We barely got settled when we spotted a small herd of elk crossing the park.. A fair bull was in the herd, so I decided to try him... At the shot he flinched and walked a few yards out of our sight.. When we got over there, he was dead at the edge of the park.. We dressed him propped him open and went to camp for a little trailer to get him out.. We had him loaded and in the processor by 9:30 or so... We decided for the evening hunt, we would drive 30 miles back into the hills where I had killed a bull in 1996... First thing we saw was a huge mule deer buck and no tag... Just at dusk, we were glassing the river bottom and spotted a big cow moose and small bull.. We got into position and she shot her behind shoulder about 1/3 of the way up.. The moose took one step and dropped.. We got the little truck and drove across the river and dressed the moose.. We had to tow her back across with a chain to get her to the little utility trailer to take home.. She was afraid of grizzlies, and when she got hooked up, I walked along behind to make sure all was well... She soon ran away from me across the river to the trailer.. The idea of the big bears kind of spooked her.. Any we got her loaded and headed in.. Both tags filled the first day of our hunt and we planned to stay 30 days... We often laughed about that.. Only for a couple more years as she passed in 2006,
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
What I miss is squirrel hunts with a .22 in the days of my youth. The golden days of fall and lots of big fox squirrels and not a care in the world.
Those places I used to hunt are all gone, the big tree claims and abandoned farmsteads all been bulldozed long ago.

^ yep.

Sure miss those days/places!

All subdivided...
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
In the early part of this century, my late wife and I went on a hunt near Dubois, Wy.. We had been retired a few years, had a small travel trailer, and our two goldens.. We planned to stay a month.. She had a cow moose permit, and I had a general elk tag.. We should have bought her a deer tag... First thing in the morning we drove to the top of the mountain to glass for moose.. We barely got settled when we spotted a small herd of elk crossing the park.. A fair bull was in the herd, so I decided to try him... At the shot he flinched and walked a few yards out of our sight.. When we got over there, he was dead at the edge of the park.. We dressed him propped him open and went to camp for a little trailer to get him out.. We had him loaded and in the processor by 9:30 or so... We decided for the evening hunt, we would drive 30 miles back into the hills where I had killed a bull in 1996... First thing we saw was a huge mule deer buck and no tag... Just at dusk, we were glassing the river bottom and spotted a big cow moose and small bull.. We got into position and she shot her behind shoulder about 1/3 of the way up.. The moose took one step and dropped.. We got the little truck and drove across the river and dressed the moose.. We had to tow her back across with a chain to get her to the little utility trailer to take home.. She was afraid of grizzlies, and when she got hooked up, I walked along behind to make sure all was well... She soon ran away from me across the river to the trailer.. The idea of the big bears kind of spooked her.. Any we got her loaded and headed in.. Both tags filled the first day of our hunt and we planned to stay 30 days... We often laughed about that.. Only for a couple more years as she passed in 2006,

So sorry for your loss what an amazing Hunt with the greatest hunting partner a man could want!
Last duck hunt with my Dad. He was ailing and I packed in and out all the decoys and stuff. The next year he did not make it out due to lung cancer. He got about 4 more years but there were no more duck hunts together. I still recall sitting around that pond with my two dogs, getting a few mallards, him drinking my coffee and feeding my lunch to the dogs with a great big grin on his face when I opened my lunch bag and everything was gone. Memories from 20+ years ago.
Going 10 shots on 10 squirrel heads or even less,,5 heads in 6 shots as long as its nice clean head shots,, no blood shot shoulder no gut,,, clean stalk, proper position, squirrel sitting pretty,, 1 shot ,, also you havto love a partly cloudy night 40ish degrees, smell of fallen leaves, sound of a young hound as he comes on a tree,, all by hisself,, loads up and dieing locate, then steady 60 barks a minute ,, you know he will stay, you have done your work training,He knows youll come because he trust's you and accepted that training,, partnership,,hear him pick up his pace treeing when he see's your light coming up the hill,when your light hits him,hes got front feet on the tree and loads up on it,,and he knows you know this is what he was bred for,,born for,,trained for,,you gave him the chance,and hes doing his part,,,some loving on the tree, back to the truck and a simple lick on the hand is ,,,enough,,,
Originally Posted by renegade50
Deer

Last year dove hunting with slumlord when I couldnt feed my semi auto fast enough to stay on birds getting by me.
Just need ta switch to a mod choke this year, lots of closer in birds got by me.

Thought my beretta was going to melt. 🔥
For a while it was my B and C whitetail that I worked so long and hard for.
My first elk this year was nice to.
But flip a coin between my sons first Turkey or Deer , with me by his side
Is hands down my most memorable!
My first buck, in '87. 600yd stalk, most of it pretty easy with great cover. Set up laying on a canal bank with my new Ruger #1 45-70.
Waited for my heart rate to get below 300 then made a perfect rear quartering shot at 150yds. He went down like lightning hit him.
Loaded him in my new Toyota pickup and thought, man, life is good. New truck, new gun, first buck(a respectable 8 point), it doesn't get any better than that.
I miss the rabbit hunts from my days of youth. Me and my pop and a few of his friends and several beagles stomping through brushy draws and listening to them beagles bawl as they run those ridges and draws. Hunting ground that I no longer get to hunt and mostly miss hunting with my pop who has been gone for about 6yrs now. I truly enjoy hunting whitetail with my 12yr old son on our farm! I hope someday he realizes how much it means to me.
I had English pointers for 25 years. I miss the good hunts, sometimes move 25 coveys in a day. I deer hunt now, deer hunted before I got into quail hunting, it’s O.K., but not as much fun when your are hunting with dogs. I have had some spectacular dove hunts too.
As I age and likely am closer to the end than the beginning, each one gets better as time passes. The last, a scheduled 6-day elk hunt that turned into a 12-day effort.

Link to a pic
I’d been taking my oldest son to TX on an annual archery hog with my brothers and their sons. My oldest had been successful which really made my youngest boy jealous(9yoa). I promised if he’d practice shooting every day in our basement range his pellet rifle, we get him a shot with a rifle (he wasn’t strong ending to pull more than a 25lb bow at the time). We practiced every night for 6 mos focusing on perfect sight alignment and a perfect trigger squeeze. When we finally got to TX, I explained my hopes for my son. He produced an open sighted 22mag loaded with plastic tipped rounds. That evening, we drove around after dark and came across a group of 70-80 lb hogs in the headlights. We’d set up a rest on top of the truck cab that was perfect height. With 3 adultswatching, he fired. All of us were certain he’d missed. I was feeling really bad for him. He said dad, the sights were perfectly steady when I squeezed off a shot. I hit him exactly where you told me to. Because there was nothing left to be said, we went looking in the thick brush. 30yds away, I nearly tripped over a very dead hog that had been 10 ringed. There were 3 humbled adults that evening, a proud 9 year old boy, and an even prouder father. Best hunt of my life!
About 10 years ago, I packed out my first big game animal, an elk, with my llamas. That opened a whole new world of hunting. It also added 5 to 10 years to my hunting career. I'm to old to be packing elk quarters on my back any more but I can still walk a long way if I don't have to carry a load.
Last March when my buddy and I shot about 200 Eurasian doves in about 4-4.5 hours of hunting over 2 days.

I am sure that there have been others, but that was the latest.
The last hunt I had with my Pop...We watched a clearcut for couple days...I finally got him on a nice young 3 point bull, but he couldn’t see him on the side hill in the low Christmas trees. I tried to line him up and guide him to the bull, but his 76 year old eyes just wouldn’t allow him to see it.

Finally, Pop said, “Son, would you just shoot the damn bull”

I shot the bull. I was able to get my truck closer to the side hill where the bull was down by taking an old skidder trail and thrashing the hell out of my truck...So what! I got us close enough that I could walk down the mountain and start working up the bull to haul it out.

As I’m working away, I heard a snap of a limb above me, I look up and see Pop hobbling down the mountain with a long stick he’d found to use as a cane...The old guy looked like Moses coming towards me...I said “What the hell are you doing”? He said “I figured you could use some help”.

We got the elk out together...It was a great hunt for us...I wish Pop could have made that last shot of his hunting career, but he said to me as we were working on the elk, “Son, I killed a lot of animals in my lifetime, just being here, with you, is perfect” “Good thing you didn’t miss him”...That was my dad. “Good thing you didn’t miss him” Laffin....😎

A campfire member took me on my first prairie dog shoot/hunt.
Probably this one..the last big mule deer Ingwedog and I got together...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
boat based black bear in Alaska. for raw beauty and so many different things to see and enjoy. eagles, deer, bear, wolves. otters seals the 4 legged kind, moose. will always be my best memory. also great eating on the boat. can't go wrong.
My very first time bow hunting the Badlands in ND and I scored on a Mule Deer buck. I was so pumped!
Originally Posted by domit
boat based black bear in Alaska. for raw beauty and so many different things to see and enjoy. eagles, deer, bear, wolves. otters seals the 4 legged kind, moose. will always be my best memory. also great eating on the boat. can't go wrong.

Where were you in Alaska when you saw deer and black bear on the same hunt?
Probably a brown bear Riley shot at the end of a long day of running the river in a miniboat he had built. He spotted the bear on the mountainside and ran up and shot it on his own. It was all about him spotting it, running up to shoot it, and then doing a very good solo job of it. Have failed to be there for just a very few of his big game animals and much prefer watching him shoot these days.
Originally Posted by Matty99669

They are in the same areas throughout SE and Prince William Sound.
Originally Posted by watch4bear

3 good friends, 2 smart dogs and bob white quail. It doesn't get much better than this.

kwg
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Matty99669

They are in the same areas throughout SE and Prince William Sound.

Is there black bears on Montigue island? I just thought it a strange place to take someone that far our for a black bear in the sound.
Too many of them, if they weren't enjoyable I might have to quit.

Perhaps a favorite was one in NW PA. Evening hunt after work. Required to wear blaze orange on the way out to my hunting area as I was trying for a squirrel perhaps too. Didn't need blaze to archery hunt deer, but did for small game. Got out to where I wanted to set up, alongside a reservoir with the water drawn down and waist high brush growing along the edge. Deer routinely came down the hill for water in the evening. Knelt down to take off orange, had bow resting across brush in front of me. Took off hat and vest and was putting them up, look up, doe coming down same trail I had just used. Stops 30-40 yards away, directly in front of me and grubs around base of hickory tree. Trail continues on down toward water at an angle that would have brought her within 10 yards or so on my left, which is perfect for a right hand draw on a stick bow. I wouldn't attempt a shot at over 15 or so as I had just started using a bow that year. So I was excited as it looked like a perfect set up.

Reach up, grab bow on bushes, look up.................dang doe is headed straight at me. Looking my way. Somehow I managed to get an arrow out of the hip quiver and on the bow, still horizontal on the bushes when she turned her head slightly. I was willing her to turn toward my left as she got closer and closer. No such luck. She angled slightly to my right, which a right handed archer has a hard time turning to while kneeling 8 yards from a big ol set of eyes and ears. Eventually she passed right next to me at 9 feet, stopped, looked directly at me, then all hairs stood up, eyes widened, and she took off.

Best I can figure is she saw my big ol' white forehead as I had no time or opportunity to get my camo facemask and hat on after taking off the orange stuff.

Kinda hard to beat having a wild critter walk up to within 3 yards, unaware until the last instant.

there's a few other hunts that rank nearly as high, if not the same. But for sure that one is not forgotten.

Geno
It wasn't a hunt, but this summer, 3 of us sat on a ridge at about 9k and could see 2 bucks, 2 bull elk, a cow and a bull moose, and a goat, all at the same time.
My other most enjoyable would have to be getting my first antelope in SD with a rifle. I don't get the chance to hunt with a rifle much because we're in the shotgun zone so to be able to stretch one out was a lot of fun!
In November 1980 I had just completed The Basic School, as a new 2ndLt in the Marine Corps, at Quantico, Va. While awaiting orders to Pensacola flight school, my company commander, who had befriended me, suggested we take advantage of the muzzle loading deer season which was just a few days away. I gladly accepted and we went to the woods to sight in our rifles. Mine was a .50 Cal CVA Hawken I had put together from a kit, and which I still have. After sighting our rifles (I used 100 grains of FFg behind a .50 cal round ball,) we then departed to scout the area we had drawn, on base, for the next morning's opening day. The Major dropped me off on a dirt rode that paralleled a creek bottom. I picked out a tree, with low limbs I could easily climb, that provided a excellent perch that overlooked the creek bottom. It looked very "deery," if you know what I mean. I marked my trail back to the road with some ribbon, and the next morning the Major dropped me off at zero dark thirty. I used my USMC issue flashlight with a red lense to follow my Hansel and Gretel trail of "bread crumbs" back to my tree stand. I loaded my rifle, (without a cap,) then tied a rope around it, in order to lift it up once I had found my perch. By the time I got settled, first light began to break. It was a crisp, clear morning, and I shivered a bit as I put a cap on the nipple, and half cocked the hammer.

Morning finally broke and the creek bottom began to sparkle from the sunlight striking the fallen leaves. Just then I noticed some movement to my left, in my peripheral vision. I slowly moved my head to the left and there was a large bodied buck sauntering slowly along, about 30 yards away, moving left to right. I slowly cocked my hammer, making sure not to make a noise, then set the trigger. The slight click of the set trigger caused the buck to stop and look in my direction.. I froze. My rifle was laying across my lap. The buck began moving again with his nose to the ground. I slowly began to raise my rifle to my shoulder, and when the grey ghost moved directly in front of me and stepped out from behind a tree, I lined up my sights and followed his movement. Once I was lined up on his right shoulder I began to press on the trigger, utilizing the BRASS concept, the Marine Corps emphasized.

The rifle exploded with a sharp retort in the silent woods. A large white cloud of smoke blocked my view as I looked up to see if I had hit my mark. The buck had dropped in his tracks. .50 cal round ball did it's work, again. I had a grin from ear to ear.

After I finished gutting my deer, I dragged him up to the roadway. Shortly thereafter, the Major pulled up in his Jeep. He congratulated me on killing my beautiful 6-pointer less than an hour after dropping me off. He said he heard my shot, and was hoping I had scored. We mounted the deer on the top of his spare tire, and drove it in to the check station. He was bragging about the deer to anyone who would listen. Seemed he was enjoying my success as much as I was.

I'll never forget that hunt.

[Linked Image]
My brother and I both got drawn for cow elk in Southwest Colorado in 2010, the year after our dad died. Both of us tagged out on the second day and we were able to drive right up to one of the Cows and load it into the truck...First time we had that much luck on a elk hunt in Southwestern Colorado...I think the old man was helping us along...
My most memorable wasn't the hunt itself, but the recovery. Got a deer way up behind locked gates. Gutted it and went back to my grandparents to get a cart to pull it down the roads and back to their place. My gramps, who died this month, went with me to get it. He took a break up high and I went the rest of the way on my own, till I met up with him again as he rested, but that walk up the mountain and back with him, was a good walk under the stars.
On a pheasant hunt with my buddy and his highly trained german shorthair bird dogs we came to a crossroads of ditches. We stopped to rest a minute, take a break, but his dog's didn't take a break. They kicked up a rooster and my buddy missed with both shots with his side by side. I knew he was out of ammo.

I was standing on the far side of the ditch with my dangle hanging out taking a piss. Winchester to the shoulder and with one shot I dropped that bird with my pecker hanging out.
Originally Posted by Morewood
On a pheasant hunt with my buddy and his highly trained german shorthair bird dogs we came to a crossroads of ditches. We stopped to rest a minute, take a break, but his dog's didn't take a break. They kicked up a rooster and my buddy missed with both shots with his side by side. I knew he was out of ammo.

I was standing on the far side of the ditch with my dangle hanging out taking a piss. Winchester to the shoulder and with one shot I dropped that bird with my pecker hanging out.

Pics or it didn't happen laugh

Geno
Any archery elk hunt is pure gold.
It has to be my oldest boys first caribou hunt. My uncle flew up to hunt with us. He had never hunted up here and had never even seen a caribou before. It was a dream for him to just come along on a hunt that we take for granted. Jetboating in to our campsite, northern lights out, and lots of caribou made for a real memorable trip for him and us. Of course the coup de gras was my son shooting his first bou. We had spotted them bedded down about 300 yds from us. With no way to close the distance I made a small shooting lane in the brush for my boy, got him a solid prone rest, and we waited them out. They finally stood up and he had to wait for the last bull to get clear as the others were all walking side by side. One shot at 297yds and he dropped it. It was such an awesome experience to have with my boy and my uncle. I look forward to my youngest getting in on the action in the next year or two.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Ptarmigan,

that is absolutely awesome in the first degree.

Hope it tasted as good as it looks.

Geno
All of them for different reasons.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Ptarmigan,

that is absolutely awesome in the first degree.

Hope it tasted as good as it looks.

Geno

The next day we made it back to the road and spent the night at a campground on the Denali Highway. Backstraps, grayling, beans, and mac n cheese were on the menu! Those backstraps were damn tasty!

Don't know why imageshack keeps posting these as a linked image, but whatever.

[Linked Image]
Any hunt my daughter been on with me..
[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]
Wag,

I must’ve missed the details if you posted it before...Spill it, again!

That’s good stuff!

😎
Originally Posted by 79S
Any hunt my daughter been on with me..

Dude,
I didn’t know you’re a dad...Seriously, home chicken - you need to figure out how to take pictures with your phone and share those hunts you and your daughter do.

😎🤷🏽‍♀️
F'in A Squadcar Wagner and daughter!
Nice deers, barn pigeon, prairie dog, and snake...Sheesh, you’re a family of killers. 😬😎
Thank you.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Wag,

That’s good stuff!

😎

It all started the summer of 69.......🤔

Ha,..seriously. We stopped by papa’s(dad’s) that morning and said to him “how in the world are we going to get a deer in shooting range and get a shot”!
My daughter being 9 at the time I had my doubts.

At one point she was up dancing in the blind we built..(she’s quite entertaining to say the least) and just 40 yards away a nice little fork horn saw us and decided it would be best for him to run like hell!

30 minutes later a nice mature buck shows up 100 yards down the ridge walking away. I grunt several times at him, he turns and walks straight for us. I grab my daughter, throw her on my lap. Somehow the stars aligned, he walked straight for us. Got to 40 yards, turned sideways in a shooting lane. Unbelievable to say the least!

Undoubtedly my most enjoyable hunt!
There was this one time when I was running from the cops.

I was in a terrible trailer park. Every fence you jumped over you found yourself in another fence ........with a fugging dog.

I had gotten away........but the cops were still on me.

I ducked under a pickup in a driveway. No way anyone would look for me there.

The pickup had a 10 inch lift. Ray Charles could have seen me hiding unde that pickup.

A good hunt!
Heck of a gang you got there Jim!
Thanks Wagner!

Those pictures you posted brought a tear to my eye.

Good man!
Originally Posted by wagner
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Wag,

That’s good stuff!

😎

It all started the summer of 69.......🤔

Ha,..seriously. We stopped by papa’s(dad’s) that morning and said to him “how in the world are we going to get a deer in shooting range and get a shot”!
My daughter being 9 at the time I had my doubts.

At one point she was up dancing in the blind we built..(she’s quite entertaining to say the least) and just 40 yards away a nice little fork horn saw us and decided it would be best for him to run like hell!

30 minutes later a nice mature buck shows up 100 yards down the ridge walking away. I grunt several times at him, he turns and walks straight for us. I grab my daughter, throw her on my lap. Somehow the stars aligned, he walked straight for us. Got to 40 yards, turned sideways in a shooting lane. Unbelievable to say the least!

Undoubtedly my most enjoyable hunt!

LMAO....Summer of 69
Good deal Wag. Thanks for sharing that. Unforgettable for you and the young lady. 😎
I'm looking back on nearly 40 years, and I have to say that it is hard to pick the most enjoyable. I've got a bunch of them under my belt that tickle me just thinking about them, each for their own reasons. Maybe I'm just easy to please. Heck, I'll readily admit to having wonderful hunts with my first wife, Satan.

Lessee:

Boar hunting out of Crossville TN in 84

Dove hunting out of Hernando MS. My buddy Kip took me down to his family's place, an antebellum mansion.

Bird hunting near Mt. Olivet, KY-- this is how I learned about the area where I got my farm. Pheasant, quail, and partridge behind great dogs. I became determined to find a place out that way. It took 10 years of looking.

My first big bow buck out of Vevay, IN in 1991. A year later, a bigger buck out of the same tree.

My first deer at the farm, and a week later my first buck-- taken with my 8 yr old son watching-- 2001

My first turkey at the farm, 2002

My first big buck at the farm, 2003.

The biggest buck ever at the farm, 2007

My youngest son's first buck, 2010.

. . . and all sorts of deer hunts, turkey hunts and other hunts in between.

All I can say is that there have been wonderful hunts with sons and really good friends and even alone that I feel truly gifted. Most of the ones from the past 20 years are on my weblog.

I'm sure a lot of you guys get tired of me talking about hunting with my dad, but that will always be my favorites. From running rabbits with the beagles on Thanksgiving Day, to squirrel hunting our family homestead, to deer hunts from camp. I shot my first deer on what would sadly be Dad's last hunt. He died the following spring.
My first grouse hunt in Watauga county with my GSP Jake, and we were hunting an old apple orchard. Jake was in his prime, but had never seen or smelled a grouse until that day. He pointed two and bumped one up. Browning Sweet 16 and high brass number 6's worked.

Hat trick on our first grouse hunt. My boy ate very well that night.

Wish I could pull a few more briers out of his old ears.
Taking my son to wife's relative's ranch north of Malta, Montana for his first mule deer hunt... Howie took us out to an area he thought might be productive.. As we peeked over the edge of a ridge, two nice mulies jumped up and ran about 50 yards before stopping and looking back.. One of them was especially nice - with a good rack and nice size.. Adam took my M70 in .264WM, took a rest on Howie's coat, laying prone.. I ranged it at 320 yards, and downhill maybe 15-20 degrees. Rifle was sighted for 250 so I told him to just aim normally.. About 5 seconds passed before the shot - and that deer dropped like he was hit with a hammer... One shot - one kill..

I was very proud of him..
All of the hunts with my dad, When I was young he would bring me out in the woods, where I didnt have a clue where I was and leave me sitting on a stump. He would then make a big circle around me trying to push deer to me. when i got a little older he and I would push to each other and meet up on a mountaintop for lunch. When he got a bit older I would make him a ground blind and push to him. Sometimes we had succes and sometimes we didnt but we always had a good time and made memories. Dad stopped hunting about 10 years ago and has since passed. Wish I could have one more hunt with him.
Granddaughter got her first buck

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I just got back from a Southwestern Arizona desert mule deer bowhunt. Came close, but no cigar this time. What a challenging hunt is some beautiful, rugged terrain! In my 60's and not as fast as I used to be, but I kept up and really enjoyed it all! Planning on going again.
For me it was sitting with my children, wife and nephew when they killed their first deer.
Around 8 years old following Gramps in the woods, I saw a big hand ease back towards me motioning me tight to his side, he laid a bent arm, the bottom of his right forearm on top of my right shoulder, I followed the long arm to a pointed finger, a little buck was standing there about 50 yards out, we stood in place and watched that motionless buck for what seemed like an eternity, probably only 3-4 minutes, the buck turned around and headed back the way he came, I ask Gramps why that buck stood for so long without moving, "that buck has all day to stay alive stoney, he'll make the time"

I never forgot that.
Great stories fellas! Glad I asked now.
That’s good stuff right there hanco...Congrats! 😎
Can't pick just one but there were many hunts for scaled quail and bobs in Kansas and Colorado that were memorable. On one I found a 1st Colorado Cavalry troopers name carved in a sandstone wall at the same place we were camped.
Easy for me, it was my "hunt of a lifetime" in 2015. A backpack hunt for Dall Sheep in the Chugach mountains. Took 12 days from start to finish.
May 2005 with my brother Brian and good friend/PH Don Heath on a PAC elephant hunt near Magunje, Zimbabwe. It was just a rough camp with Don's yard boy as a camp helper and a Zim game scout who never left camp. We pitched a simple camp and all contributed to camp chores. It was very much like a deer camp back home with buddies rather than your typical safari experience. Brian and I both killed elephant bulls. I took mine with one body shot using my Kreighoff 500/416 and the shot knocked the bull off his feet. I put two more in the chest just to make certain. Brian killed his at a remote water pumping station. The locals reported the bull was charging them and even goats who came to the pump. We walked in and as soon as the bull saw us he charged. Brian was using my Winchester M-70 in 375 H&H and dropped the bull with a head shot. The bull crashed and then started back on his feet and Brian emptied the rest of the magazine into his head to finish him. The next day was an impressive sight as about 150 locals showed up for the butchering and meat distribution. The process was peaceful and orderly while we were present. However, the moment we left all hell broke loose and natives were running in grabbing meat, stabbing, getting stabbed and generally going full on monkey wild.
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I just got back from a Southwestern Arizona desert mule deer bowhunt. Came close, but no cigar this time. What a challenging hunt is some beautiful, rugged terrain! In my 60's and not as fast as I used to be, but I kept up and really enjoyed it all! Planning on going again.

Dean, did you post any story or pics in the Archery forum? What unit did you hunt? Glad you had a good time, and yes, at 60's age just about any part of AZ can get "challenging".

Geno
Cool stories everyone, especially those with kids getting game.............even if that game is pigeons and gophers.

Beats the heck out of the politics threads.

Geno
For me, it was in 1983, a solo backpack trip in the northern part of our province for Stone's sheep.
I walked off the Alaska Highway with a topographic map, I backpacked 14 days and walked out to A.H. about 50 miles from where I began, I cached all my stuff and thumbed a ride to my truck.
I didn't see a soul and walked many sheep basins, saw piles of sheep and other game....missed a very nice old ram 39/ 40"( My guess) I saw many smaller, legal rams along the way. I have been back there since and plan on going again . The Northern Rockies are the last great adventure hunt in BC..I live in the southern Rockies, Bighorn country. Cheers.
My son's first deer. 2002, he was 11 years old. Rem 870 20 ga. Junior Model. Breneke 3" Silver Magnum.

Daughter 2013 with her first Caribou. Weatherby vanguard, 7-08, redfield 3-9x40, 120gr tsx, 296 yds if I remember right.

[Linked Image]
2016 right before I went to Korea. Winter moose hunt, model 70 xtr featherweight, 270 Winchester, 140gr hornady btsp, 200yds if I remember right. That was her 3rd moose she’s harvested. It was a balmy -10 the day she got it.

[Linked Image]
I've been on a Caribou Hunt in Quebec and a Moose hunt in Newfoundland which were all great and lots of fun, but my favorite hunt would be one of my Canada Geese hunting trips in the early 2000s with my late friend Gary and my Labrador, Sam, in Ontario. We did that for several years and would often limit out, but it was more about spending time with dear friends and watching my Lab do his thing. Maybe a tie with hunting with my late Dad and late Uncle deer hunting in the Adirondacks. We weren't successful very often, but we had big fun in the big woods of Franklin County NY.
Originally Posted by wagner
[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]

That last pic needs to be posterized and hung on the wall! Love it! I can see she is another MAGA gal! grin
In 2016 her and her momma were drawn for dc 485 permits. I took my daughter with me into unit 13 with some friends. We spotted a bull caribou that was a monster. Me, my two buds and daughter put an epic stalk on this bull caribou. We thought for sure he was going to follow this drainage right to us. Unfortunately he hooked left ranged at 500yds and disappeared into the black spruce. That was a big big caribou. My daughter was the only one with a caribou permit.. The excitement on her face as we hustled when that bull put his head down and rip up willow bushes. Was too damn cool. Soon as he put his head down we take off hoofing it. We closed, close 400 yds doing that just another 200yds that caribou be hanging on the wall.
Man if there was a “Like” button feature I’d be clicking the heck out of it right now after everyone’s post! I’m enjoying them tremendously!
This wasn’t an enjoyable hunt at all. Broke the clutch, had to be pulled 30 miles down the little delta to the trucks. Ph uck it was cold, cold..

[Linked Image]
Took my oldest daughter to the Yukon in 2010 for a fly-in moose hunt. Didn't get a moose, but .........

Bucket list hunt
Plains game in S. Africa
Andrew Renton--Kai River Safaris, East London-- Crosshair Consulting
It was awesome

If I could post pictures----
Good thread.
honestly when i was 6 yrs old went dove hunting with my father. we were sitting on the edge of a field near baffin bay, i had a daisy bb gun. i shot the head off a butterfly from about 10 ft..... never have forgot that.
Originally Posted by watch4bear

That's hard to beat.

My brother, Jules and I once limited out 2 days in a row on bobwhites and blues north of Ozona, Texas.

We did it again with my cousin on 2 days west of San Angelo on blues.
hunting quail is one of my favorite things.
My daughter's first deer which I detailed in this post:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...irst-deer-my-best-hunt-ever#Post11652623

After that would probably be any of the deer she has killed since that day. She is 11 now and has killed 10 deer in 4 seasons and we've had a lot of fun together as she has grown in her understanding of deer and the outdoors.

As for my own hunts, it would definitely be my dove trip to Argentina followed by multiple turkey hunts over the years.
Originally Posted by renegade50
Deer

Rene, I sure like a 20ga with IC for those close days. I even got to where that's what I use on quail years ago, unless they are real wild and flushing far away.

Low base 6s for quail and 7.5s for dove.

A browning A5 IC 20 can make you feel sorry for the doves over a West Texas waterhole late on a hot September evening. You can burn your hand on the barrel if you arent careful.
Originally Posted by ruffcutt

That's the best of true hunting- sneaking, listening, looking, stalking in for a head shot.

It requires hunting and shooting skills and still allows a decent amount of shooting.

Then, no meat is better than squirrel.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/why-i-eat-squirrel-really
When my oldest son shot his first mule deer buck.
Best memory of all Grandpa shooting a big whitetail buck on the run at 94 with open sights.
I got to visit with Don over a cocktail in the early 90's.Interesting man
I still hurt with grandpas model 70 with Lyman peep sight and Dad's 721 with 6x weaver with Lee dot. And the tried and true load of 53 grains of IMR 4350 and the 130 grain Sierra flat base
Most enjoyable would probably be a float trip in Alberta for moose. It was enjoyable because it was relaxing, the scenery was breathtaking and me and my buddy both got a moose. Mine being a 51". Very peaceful and relaxing floating on river in a canoe taking in all that God has created.

Most rewarding would be with my dad and nephew. Me and my dad have gone to the mountains (Allegheny National Forest) together since I was 10. He's my best hunting buddy. We go to the mountains for the first week of deer season and camp in a camper. It was 2010, my nephew was 12 so I took him with me for the first day. We posted together. Around 8:30 he shot a small 3 point. His first deer. While dragging that deer out, we picked up my dad and took some pictures. Then started off together all 3 of us. On the way out I saw a small 5 point and shot it while we were all together. I hadn't shot a deer while my dad was with me for years, so that was pretty cool. So 1:00 on the first day and 2 deer down. All of us together. That means that I was the dog for the rest of the week. Doing as many 1 man deer pushes as I could, working my butt off to get my dad a deer. My nephew mostly stood with my dad as his little legs weren't up for the walking I usually do. Tues and Wed produced nothing... Thursday we were in a place I know well and now we had about 2" of snow. It is a big valley with hemlocks in the bottom along the creek. I posted my dad on one side of the valley maybe 100 yards out of the creek bottom and just where the hemlocks start to thin out into small beech. I went up the mountain and around the valley to the opposite side from my dad and started down over the side. moving slow so I don't push anything too hard. I just want to move them.... as I start over the edge I saw a doe standing downhill maybe 100 yards and as I moved around to see if there were any more, I saw a nice buck laying. Looked like about 15" wide.... Eventually they saw me and ran down the valley, lower in the valley than my dad. I followed their tracks slowly and ended up following them up the valley and passing my dad by about 150 yards. It is thick in the small beech and he never saw them. Friday, we did the same thing except I moved my dad and put him right on the deers tracks. Off I went, made my same loop. It takes about 2-3 hrs. Started over the same edge and bingo, same deer but this time they were already on their feet and moving. Instead of following, I cut straight across the valley and to my dad. We were all standing there together when I noticed the buck coming up the bottom right at us. He would walk 10 - 15 yards , stop and look back. The way we were positioned I was standing on the high side of the tree and dad was on the low side of the tree, so I saw him first. I watched him for 40 yards before my dad saw him. I coached my dad through it the way he coached me when I was young. I could see the deer so I told him when to move and when not to. Got him ready and when he saw the deer, he said "are you sure it's legal?" I replied, "no doubt in my mind, he's plenty legal". Then he said, "as long as he's coming, I'll just let him come". So for the next 2-3 minutes we watched the deer walk, stop and look back, repeatedly until he was 40 yards away and up against a blow down. His next move was to duck under the blow down and when he did he stopped again to look back down the hill and my dad had a perfect broadside shot at about 35 yards. The 8 point never knew what hit him. He never took another step. I literally jumped with joy! It all came together in the last 2 hours of the trip.That was the last deer my dad shot and probably his last deer period. My dad hasn't hunted for a couple of years now, but I was blessed to have my dad with me when I shot my deer that year and I was further blessed to be with him when he shot his! It all took me back to when I was a kid and he coached me through my first deer. That's my best hunt ever!
Too many to pick one. But they all involved family and friends.
Spring turkey hunts with my Dad,and Grandpa.
Originally Posted by bobinpa
Most enjoyable would probably be a float trip in Alberta for moose. It was enjoyable because it was relaxing, the scenery was breathtaking and me and my buddy both got a moose. Mine being a 51". Very peaceful and relaxing floating on river in a canoe taking in all that God has created.

That sounds like a hunt of a lifetime! I hope I can take a similar trip someday. What time of the year was it and did you have decent weather during that trip? I sure hope I can squeeze some hunts like this into my lifetime.
Retrospect.

Mine are death marches.... smile
Was invited to hunt on a Texaco lease in So. Texas. Involved trips to Del Rio and Acuña.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
That's the best of true hunting- sneaking, listening, looking, stalking in for a head shot.

It requires hunting and shooting skills and still allows a decent amount of shooting.

Then, no meat is better than squirrel.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/why-i-eat-squirrel-really

Good article, but then maybe we're missing out on Florida iguana? I wouldn't know. Travis needs to chime in.
Originally Posted by 79S
2016 right before I went to Korea. Winter moose hunt, model 70 xtr featherweight, 270 Winchester, 140gr hornady btsp, 200yds if I remember right. That was her 3rd moose she’s harvested. It was a balmy -10 the day she got it.

[Linked Image]

😎
Originally Posted by 79S
This wasn’t an enjoyable hunt at all. Broke the clutch, had to be pulled 30 miles down the little delta to the trucks. Ph uck it was cold, cold..

[Linked Image]

Don’t LIKE....

😎
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Originally Posted by bobinpa

That sounds like a hunt of a lifetime! I hope I can take a similar trip someday. What time of the year was it and did you have decent weather during that trip? I sure hope I can squeeze some hunts like this into my lifetime.

It was the first week in October. Weather was great. Probably low to mid 40s during the day and mid to low 30s at night. Only rained 1 day and it wasn't a bad rain. Full autumn foilage. We went with Northern Wilderness Outfitters in Alberta. Go to their web page and look at their wilderness float trip.

http://www.huntingalberta.com/

If I can figure out how, I will post a pic or two.
It was truly an awesome trip!!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Attached picture My moose.jpg
Attached picture scenery 1.jpg
Attached picture scenery 2.jpg
There are so many great memories i have from over the years, hunting with my Father, going on a self guided trip in Alaska, another self guided trip in the Republic of Congo, duck hunting in Canada with friends, especially my brother.

I remember writing this after a day of hunting in Zimbabwe and have been fortunate enough top spend many days in the field similar to this.

"On the 4th we hunted for a buffalo all day. I almost had to shoot a cow that charged but she stopped about 30 feet away when Shaun shouted her down. We crossed a road during the day and crossed it again about 90 minutes later. We found a nice set of leopard tracks on top of our tracks. Now the pressure was really on. We were in and out of buffalo all day and walked back to the truck in the dark but were unsuccessful. Those are the days I love. We hunted hard and walked quite a few miles. We were chased by elephants, watched a herd of a hundred buffalo stampede, and took a quick nap in a river bed during the heat of the day. It just does not get any better."
© 24hourcampfire