Home
Posted By: jeffbird Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
My local Ford dealer will no longer service or make any repairs of any kind to trucks that have altered the OEM exhaust or used aftermarket chips.

Just saw today where the EPA prosecuted the “Diesel Brothers” from the Discovery Channel and a federal judge in Utah hit them with $848,000 in penalties for violating the Clean Air Act for selling “delete” kits.

https://www.standard.net/news/envir...58c8bc1-5c7f-50cf-8a50-d42042387caa.html
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
Jeff, a buddy in California told me that he deleted and chipped his Cummins diesel, got in a wreck that was his fault and his insurance company wouldn’t cover him in the accident as he was driving an “Illegal Vehicle “.

This is gonna be very, very painful as he’s very well off and recently sold his place for mega bucks on his way for a move to Idaho.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
Heaven forbid someone actually OWN their personal property...

People don't even know what freedom is anymore.

One chip at a time.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
Throw their tea chests in the harbor!
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

One chip at a time.

Yup.

One chip at a time.

I hear you, Rbb but we ain’t free to break any laws that we want and do so without repercussions.

Makes a fellow kinda wish for the old Wild West days, don’t it ?
So what else is new? The Clean Air Act of 1968 included provisions for a $5,000.00 fine and 5 years in jail for EACH VEHICLE an automotive professional modified to violate exhaust emissions standards. It just wasn't enforced vigorously. A muffler shop in Nashville in the early 1980's had 5 vehicles ready for delivery with "catalytic converter test pipes" installed when the federal tree huggers raided them. It cost the owner $20K in fines and put him out of business!
Jerry
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
It would be different if the fugging systems you paid through the nose for ..........actually fugging worked reliably!

Limp mode seems to be the new normal.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
Freedom in the country is a pipe dream anymore....they just tell you that you have freedom, while they force you to conform to all their dictates, and will heavily harm some one who doesn't...
Dealers vary around here, some won't touch deleted trucks, some look the other way. Other than warranty, there isn't much risk. I have some doubts about the car accident claim.

My 77 vette had all the emissions stuff fall off at some point, I feel like a outlaw now laugh
Should be a way to provide, uh, "counter-incentives" to those who bring forth and litigate such suits.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
It would be different if the fugging systems you paid through the nose for ..........actually fugging worked reliably!

THIS!
Posted By: victoro Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
Most of the "illegal" changes to diesel vehicles in the USA increase the performance, improve the emission numbers and increase the MPG.

THIS!

All of the refinery modifications done to produce clean burning diesel and then throw all of the bull scchitt on top of the engines to make them virtually non functional from their intended purpose.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
My partner and I have almost identical Dodges with the 6.7 Cummins. We both bought them used with low miles. I didn't know it when I bought it but mine had been DPF deleted. When we're in the mountains hunting, he periodically has to take it out and run it at 60 for 20 miles or so to do a burnoff or it won't run at all. It acts like the air intake is clogged. Mine bypasses that. I have a chip that resets the computer each time I start it.
Mine does smoke a lot more than his.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

THIS!

All of the refinery modifications done to produce clean burning diesel and then throw all of the bull scchitt on top of the engines to make them virtually non functional from their intended purpose.

I'd love to know how much better our motors would run, how much better mileage they would get, and how much less expensive they would be without alla that govt mandated BS!

Bet we'd be shocked.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
If a dealer won't work on a modified vehicle, warranty or not, that's there right. And, if one "was" under warranty & has been modified, it sure as hell ain't afterward. They've been enforcing that for a while. Of course some Dodge dealers will look for any damn thing as a reason to try to void warranties.

But, if an insurance company takes your damn money & has no fine print clause about modified vehicles & then use that as an excuse, that's pure BS.

Some cry & want to blame American workers pay as a reason for companies moving out of the US. And while that might a percentage of the reasons, it's a small one.

The EPA regs. here vs. some other countries is strangling in both manufacturing & the manufactured product. Farm tractors with a fluid tank of crap to spray in the exhaust, give me a fuggin break.

We can't get the 40 mpg little Jap diesel engines that are sold all over the world cause they won't meet our standards, yet 30 other countries use them right on. Nor can we get hardbodied, functional, real 4x4's that those 40 mpg diesels come in cause they won't meet out safety standards.

OK...... off topic to a point & getting political to which I'm getting sick of. Spew over.
Looks like the market for pre emissions chit may go up

THIS!

I'd love to know how much better our motors would run, how much better mileage they would get, and how much less expensive they would be without alla that govt mandated BS!

Bet we'd be shocked.

It’s AL GORE’s fault....he invented the internet too.
I heard from a very good source that Texas is considering totally doing away with the vehicle inspection system in Texas.
Originally Posted by victoro
I heard from a very good source that Texas is considering totally doing away with the vehicle inspection system in Texas.

They have been crowing since 2017, but nothing has happened. Probably won't.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
Jeff, a buddy in California told me that he deleted and chipped his Cummins diesel, got in a wreck that was his fault and his insurance company wouldn’t cover him in the accident as he was driving an “Illegal Vehicle “.

Attached picture BS meter.gif

THIS!

Bet we'd be shocked.

My SIL has a late model Ford diesel pickup that he likes but the MPG is terrible and my 2005 Dodge diesel (with just a programmer) will run circles around his old Ford and pulls better. He looked at the new Ford diesels but the prices scared him away. He had the delete done and now he loves his Ford truck. The delete gave him a huge performance boost and the MPG increased dramatically. He hasn't checked the MPG by hand yet but the computer shows 24 mpg driving 80-85 on toll road 130 and he's getting many more miles between fill ups.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
We got into a pull over for red diesel on the way to Alaska last spring. Couldn't avoid it. They were going to dip the tank and asked if I used any additives. In case something showed up.

I said yes, motor oil or 2 stroke oil added each tank. They got wild looks in their eyes and asked why.

I said because .gov screwed up the fuel so bad that my 7.3 will burn up if I don't ad lube to the fuel. The old motor was not made for this new stupid stuff. Plus my mileage drops so much that I have to burn even more of it to get the same distance so I ad more emissions if I don't ad the oil.

They looked at me, talked some and said that sounds like you've thought it through and have the best solution at hand. I said yes, especially since I can't afford a new 75K truck either.

They dipped, their kit said fine, we rolled on. I'm thinking Montana possibly but I sure don't recall for sure.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
rost,

how much oil do you add?

What ratio?

Do you think it would help or hurt a 2016 6.7l with 80,000 miles?
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

you say.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
Originally Posted by jeffbird
rost,

how much oil do you add?

What ratio?

Do you think it would help or hurt a 2016 6.7l with 80,000 miles?

I’m just over 160K in an ‘11 6.7L Ford and the only thing I’ve ever added to the fuel is FPPF Total Power in the winter as an Anti-Gel and lubricity additive when running blend or straight #1.
I just add Power Service Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost to my tank. 6.0 Power Stroke.
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
ATF is the best diesel additive. I add a gallon to a hundred gallons of fuel. I’m running a 2002 Cummins N14 in a VNL64.
Well, getting rid of sulfur in the fuel wasn't all bad.

Yes, lubricity suffered.......but corrosion on bearings and such didn't.
Posted By: hanco Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
I’ve never been stopped to have mine checked. I don’t have access to off-road diesel. I assume that’s what they were checking for???
Posted By: norm99 Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
Most of the "illegal" changes to diesel vehicles in the USA increase the performance, improve the emission numbers and increase the MPG.

thats what i got out of my F350 1to 2 miles per liter

norm
Originally Posted by norm99

thats what i got out of my F350 1to 2 miles per liter

norm

Not too hard to tell who has a chip when they hit the throttle.
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve never been stopped to have mine checked. I don’t have access to off-road diesel. I assume that’s what they were checking for???

No. Changes to the emissions systems.
Dunno about the new ones. Mine is 2001 7.3

1 ounce of oil per gallon of gas. I don't get to wild about it being exact.
2 stroke oil tested better in tests years ago. But generally I just toss in a quart of cheapest motor oil simply to save the o rings and such. I'm not so worried about mileage as the truck really sits mostly, and then pulls a boat or trailer now and again. Or if driven usually not many miles a day for a few months.

I"d google the ford power stroke forums and see what a search there says about something as new as yours. I'd guess yours is built to take the new crap fuel. And possibly that adding oil could foul out some sensors or make it do weird things. .gov control bullshit and all.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
They came to the sale barn years ago and started dipping tanks looking for farm diesel. Started lining guys up and writing tickets. I heard the fine was $1 per mile on the odometer if caught but that sounds crazy. I do know that there were a bunch of pickups that stayed parked up there until they were towed so maybe they just forfeited them in lieu of paying a ridiculous fine. Been years ago before diesel emissions ever existed but it was quite the buzz around town at the time.

I have seen so many instances of new diesels laying down or requiring insane amounts of repair due to emissions, coupled with the fact that I don’t drag a backhoe around for a living means I’ll never own one. The old timey gasoline big block is on its way back in the pickup market and for good reason.

One chip at a time.

Nobody has owned anything of real value in a long time. Quit paying th he annual "rent" on your place to the county and see what I mean.
Originally Posted by hanco

Yes, checking on non taxed fuel
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
About once a summer during harvest Washington DOT shows up in town and starts pulling over grain trucks and farm pickups. They get a couple every summer. DOT says that if you ever put red diesel in even though you may burn a lot of fuel their test will still pick it up. I know a friend of mine got hit last summer for having red fuel and he told them he had done it the summer before and he put a couple of gallons in to get him to town. Cost him $500.
The revenuer man thinks up new schit all the time.
Posted By: hanco Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
I payed my rent not long ago, it’s bullcshit to pay so much. The freeloaders don’t pay cshit!
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
drive a 12v but with a strait pipe.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
Originally Posted by rost495
Dunno about the new ones. Mine is 2001 7.3

1 ounce of oil per gallon of gas. I don't get to wild about it being exact.
2 stroke oil tested better in tests years ago. But generally I just toss in a quart of cheapest motor oil simply to save the o rings and such. I'm not so worried about mileage as the truck really sits mostly, and then pulls a boat or trailer now and again. Or if driven usually not many miles a day for a few months.

I"d google the ford power stroke forums and see what a search there says about something as new as yours. I'd guess yours is built to take the new crap fuel. And possibly that adding oil could foul out some sensors or make it do weird things. .gov control bullshit and all.

i add transmission fluid to mine.
Originally Posted by TheKid
The old timey gasoline big block is on its way back in the pickup market and for good reason.

Yep.
Posted By: BobMt Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20

Jim.......i had both of my diesels deleted ....16 and an 18......just for that reason....have never gone into limp mode....yet.......70,000 combined miles........bob
"i add transmission fluid to mine."

A diesel mechanic on one of the Dodge diesel websites I used to look at all the time( Dieselram.com maybe) said that auto trans fluid can screw up your injectors over time because it has plastic in it to increase clutch friction. I mix 112 oz Diesel Kleen (big bottle + one small bottle) with a gallon of 2 synthetic cycle oil and add .7 oz for each gallon of diesel when I fill up. I can't remember where I came up with that mixture but it's supposed to work as good or better than most of the expensive diesel additives.
Was told to periodically use Marvel Mystery Oil for pump lubrication and for keeping the entire system clean.

2002 Duramax LB 7.
Posted By: xarcher Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
Originally Posted by jfruser
The old timey gasoline big block is on its way back in the pickup market and for good reason.

Yep.

Just ordered a 2020 F350 with 7.3 L gasser with standard 10 speed transmission and 4.30 gears. Will tow/haul what I need and since I will only tow/haul 15% of the time, it made no sense to spend an extra 10K on the diesel plus pay another $0.70 at the pump. Fuel economy on the gasser has been improving over the years but not so much on the diesel as emissions controls have been added.
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
"i add transmission fluid to mine."

A diesel mechanic on one of the Dodge diesel websites I used to look at all the time( Dieselram.com maybe) said that auto trans fluid can screw up your injectors over time because it has plastic in it to increase clutch friction. I mix 112 oz Diesel Kleen (big bottle + one small bottle) with a gallon of 2 synthetic cycle oil and add .7 oz for each gallon of diesel when I fill up. I can't remember where I came up with that mixture but it's supposed to work as good or better than most of the expensive diesel additives.

[quote=victoro]"i add transmission fluid to mine."

My diesel mechanic told me to use ATF. It’s full of detergents that will keep your injectors clean and lubed. I’ve been running ATF in my own trucks for 18 years now and have far fewer injector issues than most of the fellow owner operators that I know. I run old tractors. My current one is a 2002 daycab with 1,058,578 miles on it this afternoon when I parked. I’ve owned three tractors over the years and outside of a six pack of injectors for an in frame rebuild I’ve bought a total of three injectors between three tractors. Two of them on the current one within the first month I owned it. I bought it with @957,000 miles so who knows what condition those were. From my personal experience ATF is a great additive for diesel. All of my experience is with series 60’s and a N14.
Posted By: Billc Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
I have been using the stanadyne additive in the 6.7 cummins. So far no problems..
Stanadyne is good.

Skip the other home brew bs.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20

One chip at a time.

Everything the government regulates strongly gets more expensive, there is less of it, and it has less quality. If this keeps up, we will have to ask permission to use our vehicles, turn up the heat in our houses, or burn a wood stove..
Was told to periodically use Marvel Mystery Oil for pump lubrication and for keeping the entire system clean.

2002 Duramax LB 7.

I haven't found the the study yet about mixing Power Service and 2 cycle oil yet but I do remember that 2 cycle oil is a much better pump/injector lubricant than Marvel Mystery Oil. I was using Marvel Mystery oil before I read the study and I kept all the bottles. I fill those with the 2 cycle/PS mixture after I mix it, it comes in handy when traveling. I found my old Dodge notes: 118 oz of PS(big bottle/small bottle) will treat 350 gallons of diesel and a gallon pf 2 cycle oil (128 oz) will treat 350 gallons of diesel.

2002 Duramax LB 7.

I haven't found the the study yet about mixing Power Service and 2 cycle oil yet but I do remember that 2 cycle oil is a much better pump/injector lubricant than Marvel Mystery Oil. I was using Marvel Mystery oil before I read the study and I kept all the bottles. I fill those with the 2 cycle/PS mixture after I mix it, it comes in handy when traveling. I found my old Dodge notes: 118 oz of PS(big bottle/small bottle) will treat 350 gallons of diesel and a gallon pf 2 cycle oil (128 oz) will treat 350 gallons of diesel.

Synthetic?
"Synthetic?"

Sometimes when it's on sale but usually just a good brand outboard motor 2 cycle oil.
Originally Posted by BluMtn
About once a summer during harvest Washington DOT shows up in town and starts pulling over grain trucks and farm pickups. They get a couple every summer. DOT says that if you ever put red diesel in even though you may burn a lot of fuel their test will still pick it up. I know a friend of mine got hit last summer for having red fuel and he told them he had done it the summer before and he put a couple of gallons in to get him to town. Cost him $500.

Depending I'd fight that.

Its BS from the fact you could have a farm truck that stayed farm only actually. Then you decide to make it legal for road, update the plates and switch to taxed fuel. I'd tell em to F themselves.

But your friend admitted and the bullshit won... Its like a thread on DUI for backing a truck onto the street to pull back in and move it over... yeah yeah technically but still its .gov going WAY out of line once again. Getting you used to the coming communism
Stanadyne is good.

Skip the other home brew bs.

I've been using Howes because it's cheap. I'm not sure how good it is, but several of the local logging outfit's seem to use it without issue.
Posted By: CEoW717 Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/10/20
#1 reason I buy pre 2007.5 Rams
Posted By: Redneck Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/11/20
Originally Posted by reivertom

Everything the government regulates strongly gets more expensive, there is less of it, and it has less quality. If this keeps up, we will have to ask permission to use our vehicles, turn up the heat in our houses, or burn a wood stove..
If gov't comes for my wood stove, people are gonna die....

Yep.
Agreed.... A good option for those who only tow a couple times or so per year.. I have to double-check the cost difference between the new 7.3 gas and the 6.7L PSD on a new truck... Might save one a few thou, but IF one tows a bunch with it, they'll lose that over time via lower gas mileage... When I had my last big-block gas truck, I was lucky to get 5 mpg when towing something in the range of 10K#...

(added) - just checked, 7.3 is $1700 over the standard engine, but the 6.7 is $12K OVER the standard engine.. Big savings on the 7.3...

Posted By: MM879 Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/11/20
Originally Posted by Redneck

Yep.
Agreed.... A good option for those who only tow a couple times or so per year.. I have to double-check the cost difference between the new 7.3 gas and the 6.7L PSD on a new truck... Might save one a few thou, but IF one tows a bunch with it, they'll lose that over time via lower gas mileage... When I had my last big-block gas truck, I was lucky to get 5 mpg when towing something in the range of 10K#...

(added) - just checked, 7.3 is $1700 over the standard engine, but the 6.7 is $12K OVER the standard engine.. Big savings on the 7.3...

I have to disagree with your assumption. I pull with big gas, 6.4l Hemi and I get -1mpg less that the diesels I owned. I had 15 new 2500 Ram 's in a row. Most of them were diesels.
Posted By: viking Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/11/20
I think think the EPA should go to Russia or any place and educate them.
Posted By: viking Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/11/20
I think think the EPA should go to Russia or any place and educate them.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/11/20
In the process of looking at new pickups. I am going to go gas because I tow a little and having talked to all the guys I run with that are using diesels the MPG should be relatively close. And the price difference with the quotes I have right now on my desk the difference between gas and diesel runs anywhere from $14,000 to $18,000 difference depending on the manufacturer. I have quotes from Ford, Chevrolet, and GMC.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/11/20
So, if you're an illegal from South of the border you can have paper license plates on your raggedy, smoking vehicle that has not conformed to any certifications for years. You can have a stolen inspection sticker, stolen tags, no insurance & be completely exonerated when you run your dumpy vehicle into a 2020 F250 Super Duty totaling it out & leaving the victim's insurance company to pay the bill.

Sound about right?

Yep.

Your last gas big block truck wasn't like today's big block gas trucks. What year was that?
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/11/20

Yep.

We had the all the emissions bullchit removed from a Ford 6.7 and it made a huge difference in performance. The engine runs cooler, gets better mileage and has way more power.

Had to go into Ford yesterday to pay a bill and the diesel mechanic said they will continue to work on any pickup, even those modified. It comes down to the dealer and luckily there are a bunch of deleted diesels around here so I don't see it becoming an issue, knock on wood...

As for on/off road diesel we have never ran dyed in any pickup even though our feed pickups spend as much, if not more, time off road. But whatever.

That said next year I plan on buying a F350 with the 7.3 gas and singles. Beyond tired of fighting mud and dual rears. Keep a diesel for pulling down the highway, use the gas more for off road(mud, snow, rough travel, etc..) The turbo diesel is badass for pulling...

A couple guys that have ran diesels for years have recently switched to 2020 gas F350 bale beds and I'm curious to see how they like 'em(new 10 speed transmission as well). They can be the guinea pigs!
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Diesel Delete Penalties - 03/11/20
Another interesting thing that only really occurs in the farm country, the old diesels ran a cool temp exhaust system so you could run in the stubble wheat fields. The new diesels run an exhaust system that is just as hot as a gas system or hotter when in regen mode. Had to quit driving in the stubble fields with the new pickups.
© 24hourcampfire