Home
Posted By: Tarquin New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/18/20
Supposedly this is coming to the states in 2021. Not sure if it has the hi/low range like the old Trail 90/110. Sure hope so. But 125ccs would give it a lot more power than the old 90. Wish it had PGM fuel injection though.

Jordan

https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-features/2021-honda-ct125-hunter-cub-officially-announced.html
Posted By: reivertom Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/18/20
Looks like a winner, but those tires won't cut it in KY.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/18/20
Wish it came with a 1000cc engine 125cc won't go down a dirt road - too small .
I had one of the old 90's. It was grossly underpowered. 2 different times I had to unload deer because it couldn't pull it, even on roads. A 125 should be a big improvement IF it has a low range. If it doesn't I wouldn't waste my money.
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Wish it came with a 1000cc engine 125cc won't go down a dirt road - too small .

Its all relative to the performance you expect.

Back in Africa some guys were issued 125cc Dual sport Kawasakis to get around on. The thing to do was buy your motorcycle from the Peace Corps at the end of your service, and then ride it north across the Sahara to Morocco. An opportunity I kick myself now for passing up.
That’s pretty cool.
I have a 1981CT 110.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/18/20
I had a 1970 CT-90. Paid right around $400 for it at J.H. Cummings Honda in Newport, NH. $4,000 for the same, more or less, bike fifty years later seems a bit much, but fifty years is fifty years.
Posted By: Windfall Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/18/20
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I had one of the old 90's. It was grossly underpowered. 2 different times I had to unload deer because it couldn't pull it, even on roads. A 125 should be a big improvement IF it has a low range. If it doesn't I wouldn't waste my money.

RC, I don't know how big your deer are, but I pulled a fork horn and an 8 point out to the truck down a logging trail with a Yamaha 50cc Mini Enduro. The key is to get the head up as high as you can on the seat, so lots of it is off the ground. Darn 8 point punched a bunch of holes in the seat though. Admittedly I spent a lot of those 2 pulls on the rear wheel of that little bike, but it did it. If you want to haul deer or bears out of the woods, nothing on two wheels beats a Kohler engine Rokon.

Just a thought. I'm at 550' above sea level and elevation robs horse power and guaranteed that ID. is way higher than WI.
Posted By: Boise Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/18/20
I've carried a number of deer, bear and elk out to Idaho's woods. The key is to bone them out in put them in a pack. Tying them to the bike would have never worked where I was at. With better planning and hunting area selection I moved onto a 4 wheeler and that was far better.
That would be fun for putting around the Ranch.

Although for the price, you could buy a nice little 4 wheeler.

Where’s the gun rack! 😡
I like it. Honda has always taken risks in their design. They have launched a lot of sales duds along the way, but interestingly those duds become collectors items.
Posted By: KSMITH Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/18/20
Looks like a moped.
Posted By: Theeck Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/18/20
It’s nice to have options but I can’t see why you would choose this over a similarly priced CRF150F (or CRF250).

It is different, though, and may develop a cult following. I hope it does. It looks like a fun toy to play around with.
Posted By: greydog Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/18/20
ABS? Are you kidding? Electric start on a 125? Pussies! GD
Tarquin: Thanks for the heads up - I'll have one (maybe two!)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: MAC Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/18/20
If you want an off road bike get a ROKON.
Posted By: Morewood Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/18/20
Brings back memories. When I was a kid my Dad bought two used Honda Trail 70s. Man, I rode the tires off those things. A couple of my friends had Honda Elsinore 125s and I tried like hell to keep up with my little fat tire 70 attempting motocross. Bell helmet securely buckled down, used goggles from the army-navy surplus store, throttle pegged, getting low over the bars and then the death wobble would kick in.

Fun times. Lucky I didn't kill myself on that thing
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/18/20
Those square boat throw seats/life preservers fit the rear deck perfectly for a biatch seat on the old ct 90s. That new model looks to be about the same size. Or a square plastic milk crate if you were hauling stuff.
Cool looking bike.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/18/20
Originally Posted by Theeck
It’s nice to have options but I can’t see why you would choose this over a similarly priced CRF150F (or CRF250).

It is different, though, and may develop a cult following. I hope it does. It looks like a fun toy to play around with.

Street legal ?
Posted By: shootem Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/18/20

Street legal ?

Don't know if they're street legal but I hear they come with a pink helmet and a rose colored face shield.

Street legal ?

The Honda Trail 90 I had in the 70's was.

Problem was, even though it was licensed, I wasn't. frown

Got a ticket for that.

(I was in Jr. High. Not old enough for a MC license.)
If you count the Cub street version going back to the Honda 50 through the 90 and 110, they've sold over 100 million of these world wide, the highest selling vehicle of all time by a very wide margin, so they have their place.

Anybody remember Silver Bullet? Big tall fellow, about 6' 6" or thereabouts. I may be misremembering this but I believe he used to post about riding a Trail 90 all over Oregon on scouting trips and coyote hunting.

So far I haven't heard anything about a dual hi/low range transmission like the 90 and 110, supposedly the "extra power" of the 125 (all is relative wink ) won't need a dual range. I think for the 'Murica market they'd need to have that but if the gearing's right I guess they could get away without it.

Useful little machines, light and easy to ride. With 100,000,000 sold Honda got something right.
Posted By: RAS Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/18/20
Nice moped, but I like my Kawasaki better.

I took a lot of lunch money from kids who used to ride things like that. smile

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]ethanol stations near me
Originally Posted by RAS

LOL.

I used to ride my Trail 90 through hundreds of miles of oilfield and ranch roads. No pavement. Rough roads and mud puddles.

Strap on a rod and reel, and put the tackle box on that rack in the back.

In dove season, I'd cart a shotgun and a couple boxes of sheels out, and hide that trail 90 under a mesquite tree, and shoot a limit of dove at a stock pond.

Again... No paved roads. None wanted.

Different machines for different purposes.

That old Trail 90 I had sure made for some nice memories. Nobody took my lunch money either. smile
Posted By: gunzo Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/18/20
I owned & played with Trail 90 back in the day & kinda liked it. My little brother absolutely loved it. Folks didn't get it, it had a niche but few recognized it.

Semi excited when I heard of the new one & it being a 125 made it sound better. Can't find talk of the dual range trans being part of the new one. That, IMO, was the ace in the hole for the whole concept.
Posted By: deflave Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/18/20
Trail 90's have a cult following for a reason.

If this one has the dual range transmission, (and it is rumored that they do) it would be a pretty cool bike.
Posted By: RipSnort Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/18/20
I want to like this bike but I can't figure out what it could do (other than go on pavement - slowly - if set up for it) that a small, two-wheel drive 4-wheeler couldn't do better for similar money. Is this the major differentiator?

RS
Posted By: smithrjd Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/18/20
The new one looks interesting, but I don't like the price. I have had a bunch of Trail 90's over the years, and still have a matched pair of 1969's. One has a Powrell 110 kit on it. One was given to me, the other I payed $100 for. So easy to fix, and no issues getting parts, new or used. Kids love them, they will go literately anywhere one has any business going on a motorcycle. I haven't done it yet but I have no doubt I could haul a deer out with one. Not that fast, but will go 55+ in high range. Climb a tree in low range if you could get traction. About indestructible as well. As long as there is gas and oil they will run.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/18/20
The Trail 90 can go many, many places a 4 wheeler will not.
Originally Posted by smithrjd

No doubt!
Posted By: gunzo Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/18/20
Originally Posted by RAS

Man, I hope you're just joking. Cause a bully is about the biggest POS I can remember from my school days & hope you weren't one of those.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/19/20
Originally Posted by RipSnort
I want to like this bike but I can't figure out what it could do (other than go on pavement - slowly - if set up for it) that a small, two-wheel drive 4-wheeler couldn't do better for similar money. Is this the major differentiator?

RS

Ride it to town or on country roads - legally ?
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

No doubt!

Try a little steep side hill'ing on a quad , be careful though a quad might very well roll all the way to the bottom . Sometimes that damages them .
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

No doubt!

Try a little steep side hill'ing on a quad , be careful though a quad might very well roll all the way to the bottom . Sometimes that damages them .

Been there done that. 🤠
Posted By: rabst Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/19/20

Street legal ?

What would be the point of a headlight, tail light, and turn signals if it weren't intended to be street legal?
Posted By: smithrjd Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/19/20
The new one, and the old one are a different kinda of riding, no hurry, where does this trail go? Lets find out. It will get there. Not fast, but fun. I have ridden for dang, 50+ years, raced Motocross and Enduro. Had many fire breathing monsters. Bultaco's, Husky's, Maico 501, Cannodale, XR650 with a HRC kit (700cc) etc. The little Honda is plain fun and relaxing. It doesn't break down, and gets about 100MPG. If it falls over or gets stuck I can pick it up. A lot of things to like.
Originally Posted by rabst

Street legal ?

What would be the point of a headlight, tail light, and turn signals if it weren't intended to be street legal?

I've lived in a few different states , to my knowledge '''street legal''' is determined by the Title of the bike saying offroad use or ?. .
There are definately non street legal bikes that do have headlight/tailight not sure on signals/horn .

Use to be able to get bikes titled by putting light package and horn - yayhoos were putting street tires on 500cc MX bikes so those laws went away quick .
I tried to find ways around it but couldn't .
I have a 1980 Kawasaki KDX 250R that's street legal - has a magneto - horn/head&tail lights/signals don't work if motor is off . Doesn't even have a key .
Pure motocross bike engine with heavier flywheel it'll wheelie on a 3rd to 4th gear shift if you want it to . 756 actual miles bought it from the second owner , he bought it from the original owner who lived four houses down on the other side of the street . Original owner bought it when he retired - used it as transportation while motorhoming .

https://powersports.honda.com/off-road/trail/crf250f
Posted By: deflave Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/19/20
If a bike has full lights, signals, and horn it's going to be street legal in every state.

Some states don't have these requirements.
The new one, and the old one are a different kinda of riding, no hurry, where does this trail go? Lets find out. It will get there. Not fast, but fun. I have ridden for dang, 50+ years, raced Motocross and Enduro. Had many fire breathing monsters. Bultaco's, Husky's, Maico 501, Cannodale, XR650 with a HRC kit (700cc) etc. The little Honda is plain fun and relaxing. It doesn't break down, and gets about 100MPG. If it falls over or gets stuck I can pick it up. A lot of things to like.

The folks who have never been on a bunch of fast bikes seem to be the ones who don't understand small bikes . I understand that - they want to ripass and have the thrill of speed etc. and know that a small bike won't thrill them .
Posted By: RAS Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/19/20
Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by RAS

Man, I hope you're just joking. Cause a bully is about the biggest POS I can remember from my school days & hope you weren't one of those.

Just joking, lol. Never took a dime from anyone.

I hope I didn’t bring up some bad memories of you hearing your stomach growling in the school lunchroom. smile
Originally Posted by deflave
If a bike has full lights, signals, and horn it's going to be street legal in every state.

Maybe things have changed - you can put whatever lights/horn/signals you want on a offroad competition bike - walk the title into the title/tag place hand over your title and you'll leave disappointed - no tag . Unless things have changed which i highly doubt .
Florida use to be a place people in georgia and mississippi came to - to try and get a title changed to on road use . Friend was station here in fort walton got it done - later tried again - no go . That was 16-17 years ago .
Each state has it's own set of rules. I have been able to get full blown Motocross bikes with a street plate with a "Light Kit" Others are move stringent. 4 wheeler's are much more difficult. Normally not street legal.
Posted By: gunzo Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/19/20
Originally Posted by RAS
Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by RAS

Just joking, lol. Never took a dime from anyone.

I hope I didn’t bring up some bad memories of you hearing your stomach growling in the school lunchroom. smile

Cool. I had no more trouble than most, just never liked seeing it. Just a peeve I guess.

Please resume Honda CT talk, neat bikes.

Each state has it's own set of rules. I have been able to get full blown Motocross bikes with a street plate with a "Light Kit" Others are move stringent. 4 wheeler's are much more difficult. Normally not street legal.

Which state are you in - just curious ?
A bad one, CA for about one more year...
Wow very surprised , thanks .
Good place to find the "Classic" bikes however. The rest not so much. One has to read the DMV rules, most counter types have no idea.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/19/20
Originally Posted by MAC
If you want an off road bike get a ROKON.

And they make a street legal one now too!!!!
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/19/20
I liked the ST90 better. A lot lighter and easy to throw into the back of the truck and tie down as a spare tire in the desert.
Originally Posted by Windfall
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

RC, I don't know how big your deer are, but I pulled a fork horn and an 8 point out to the truck down a logging trail with a Yamaha 50cc Mini Enduro. The key is to get the head up as high as you can on the seat, so lots of it is off the ground. Darn 8 point punched a bunch of holes in the seat though. Admittedly I spent a lot of those 2 pulls on the rear wheel of that little bike, but it did it. If you want to haul deer or bears out of the woods, nothing on two wheels beats a Kohler engine Rokon.

Just a thought. I'm at 550' above sea level and elevation robs horse power and guaranteed that ID. is way higher than WI.
It's been a long time but IIRC, one deer was at about 6000' and the other closer to 8000. Neither was particularly large. Both times I had the deer across the seat and carrier and was sitting partially on top of it. One was on a trail and the higher elevation one was on a road to a mine. The bike just powered out. It had the high elevation switch but it didn't help enough.
Posted By: Huntz Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/19/20
I would want at least a 200CC bike like that.
My wife had a XL 125 that was a cool off road on road bike.Lots of torque and could go 65 on the highway.
Honda's write-up on it doesn't mention a 2 speed. Without that and with those street tires, it'll be useless in the mountains. It's just a retro looking street bike.

That's it right there. If someone wants faster or more powerful, there are other bikes for that.

This is a pic of supposedly one of these new 125's and clearly shows the high/low range lever same as the old Trail 90 and 110.

Link to pic

Full article here
Jim,

Thanks for that link.

Maybe things have changed - you can put whatever lights/horn/signals you want on a offroad competition bike - walk the title into the title/tag place hand over your title and you'll leave disappointed - no tag . Unless things have changed which i highly doubt .
Florida use to be a place people in georgia and mississippi came to - to try and get a title changed to on road use . Friend was station here in fort walton got it done - later tried again - no go . That was 16-17 years ago .

I haven't heard of any state that won't license a bike that leaves the factory in a street legal setup. But I suppose it could be a thing.

I know in Montana it doesn't matter WTF you have. LOL. They'll let you slap a plate on it.
Posted By: irfubar Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/19/20
My first dirt bike was a trail 90.... at the tender age of 13.
It wasn't a cool bike for a 13 year old. Slow , bad suspension and my need for speed wasn't satisfied. That low range was good on the trails though.
At this stage of life I am thinking I would like this new version.
Speaking of way-cool retro bikes, this is a Royal Enfield, essentially '60's Brit bikes out of India with a few modern upgrades. Took these photos in Glacier NP this past summer.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

IIRC they do make 350cc thumper versions of everything, but the ones I've seen here have all been 500cc.

Had a buddy riding thirty miles to work on their likewise way-cool olive drab military version, but these mildly-tuned thumpers get out of breath running with interstate traffic, and they don't hold up as well in hard daily use like we have come to expect from the Japanese brands.
You bet. I've been reading everything I can on this 125 Hunter. Going to look at a clean CT110 on Friday and if we can agree on a price I might get that but if not I'll probably wait until they bring this new one into the States. After all that back and forth in the small dual purpose motorcycle thread this is exactly what I'm looking for.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
You bet. I've been reading everything I can on this 125 Hunter. Going to look at a clean CT110 on Friday and if we can agree on a price I might get that, but if not... After all that back and forth in the small dual purpose motorcycle thread this is really what I'm looking for.

I have been reading about them also but I have not found that image of the H/L transmission switch.

Would be great bike to have at the house.
Posted By: Windfall Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/19/20
With the higher gearing on that 125, the low range could be pretty useful. Fully off road and off trail you want low end tractable power and that automatic clutch comes in real handy to just roll off the gas and grab another gear. With a clutch and too tall a first gear, you pull in the clutch, rev the engine and dig a hole with the too narrow rear tire or stall the engine.

I can't for the life of me imagine a street legal Rokon. The beauty (probably the wrong word for a Rokon) of these things is the implement tread wide tires and how slow and tractable they are off the road. Sure they do 35 or 40 top end, but with minimal suspension no one I know wants to go that fast on one. Lots of warts and moles on those first ones. Even my '76 Chrysler 2 stroke powered Rokon was a step above the early yellow ones. Mine was problematic starting in the winter and I had to keep that plug clean. And speaking of not being street legal!!! As a youth, we were going up north and I was going to take that Rokon. Well, to make sure that it ran well I took it on a carbon run before we left. Not being street legal the sidewalk seemed the logical choice, so off I went. When I pulled back into the driveway right behind me was a city cop with his lights on. He got out of his car stifling a smile and said "Young man I had you at 40 mph ON THE SIDEWALK!" Then he asked me if my father was home and thankfully he was. Not sure what dad said to the guy, but he came back out of the house shaking his head with that same stifled smile. Then he told me that he wasn't even going to write that one up because he wasn't sure how. I suspect it was conversation down at the precinct. Good memories on that bike. My Honda powered Rokon was better, but under powered. My Kohler powered Rokon is just right. We have lots of trees here and Rokons are narrow and atv's don't fit between trees.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/19/20
If the new Honda comes with hi - lo range it will be a good rig for around the farm. The step through frame and a big seat designed for an azz to sit on is a good selling point for those of us over 60. I'd build nice aluminum racks for the front and rear and incorporate a gun scabbard on the right front and left rear.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/19/20
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
You bet. I've been reading everything I can on this 125 Hunter. Going to look at a clean CT110 on Friday and if we can agree on a price I might get that but if not I'll probably wait until they bring this new one into the States. After all that back and forth in the small dual purpose motorcycle thread this is exactly what I'm looking for.

From the little bit of research I've done on the new model it looks to be about 60-70 lbs heavier than the original CT90 and not a commensurate increase in power. With the difference in cost you could buy a used early model and rebuild the thing to your liking (including big bore kit 125cc) and probably have an overall better performing bike for less money. At least that is the plan I'm following after picking up two older CT90's last year that are in different stages of needed repair. Just make sure that CT110 is the right year for the dual range tranny. I think 1980 was the one year they skipped it.

Be interesting to see what parts/assemblies from the new bike will fit on the older models. Disc brakes might be a nice thing to have on an older bike.

Here's one source of info. that has a full spec. sheet
https://www.hondaprokevin.com/2021-honda-ct125-hunter-cub-release-date-announcement-accessories

2021 Honda CT125 Hunter Cub Specifications (Japan spec)
CT125
model Honda 2BJ-JA55
Overall length (mm) 1,960
Overall width (mm) 805
Overall height (mm) 1,085
Wheelbase (mm) 1,255
Minimum ground clearance (mm) ★ 165
Seat height (mm) ★ 800
Vehicle weight (kg) 120
Riding capacity (person) Two
Fuel consumption rate * 1
(km / L) Reported by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism:
Fuel economy value * 2
(km / h) 61.0 (60) <2 passengers>
WMTC mode value ★
(class) * 3 67.2 (Class 1) <1 person riding>
Minimum turning radius (m) 1.9
Engine model JA55E
Engine type Air-cooled 4-stroke OHC single cylinder
Total displacement (cm³) 124
Inner diameter x stroke (mm) 52.4 × 57.9
Compression ratio ★ 9.3
Maximum output (kW [PS] / rpm) 6.5 [8.8] / 7,000
Maximum torque (N ・ m [kgf ・ m] / rpm) 11 [1.1] / 4,500
Fuel supply device type Electronic <Electronic control fuel injection device (PGM-FI)>
Starting method ★ Self-type (kick-type)
Ignition device type ★ Full transistor battery ignition
Lubrication method ★ Combined pumping and spraying type
Fuel tank capacity (L) 5.3
Clutch type ★ Wet multi-plate coil spring type
Transmission type Constant mesh 4-stage return *
Gear ratio 1st speed 2.500
2nd speed 1.550
3rd speed 1.150
4 speed 0.923
Reduction ratio (primary ★ / 2-order) 3.350 / 2.785
Caster angle (degree) ★ 27 ° 00´
Trail (mm) ★ 80
tire Previous 80 / 90-17M / C 44P
rear 80 / 90-17M / C 44P
Brake type Before / after Hydraulic disc
Suspension system Previous Telescopic type
rear Swing arm type
Frame format backbone
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/19/20
This looks interesting and I'd like to give it a try. I still think the TW200, is THE bike to have in this class. It is just tough to beat for easy to ride, go anywhere, from mountains to prairies and from ranch work to campgrounds. It's not a motocross bike and won't win any races; but, it will go about anywhere and is about as reliable as one can get.
The posties that they make for the Australian market are high range only. My CT110 is an '83 and has the dual range gear box. Most of my buddies with the earlier Trail 90's also have them. I never knew that they made one for the US market that didn't have the dual range. Possible that the '80 could have been imported as a postie bike?

What I do like is maybe the availability of some better suspension parts that would fit the older 90's and 110's. Those old shocks are sprung kind of like a pogo stick. Sure more hp and go fast has some appeal to some folks, but that comes with more weight, a clutch and taller seating. Mostly I just want to save a bunch of walking, not make a lot of noise, check out nature down a dirt road or wheeler track and not need to see how fast I can do it.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/19/20
The posties that they make for the Australian market are high range only. My CT110 is an '83 and has the dual range gear box. Most of my buddies with the earlier Trail 90's also have them. I never knew that they made one for the US market that didn't have the dual range. Possible that the '80 could have been imported as a postie bike?

Here ya go:

http://ct90-ct110.com/1980454545Trail45110.html
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/19/20
RV owners will be lined up to buy these.
Posted By: Andy3 Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/19/20
[quote=Rock Chuck]. If you want to haul deer or bears out of the woods, nothing on two wheels beats a Kohler engine Rokon.

The wife and I dumped two Idaho bulls (a spike and small 6x6) in a clear cut, at first light, a few years back. We went back to camp and retrieved the flatbed cargo trailer with ramp and my 2005 Rokon, with the 6hp Kohler 4 stroke engine. We were able to park the pickup and trailer at the bottom of the clearcut, where the road dead ended. My rokon has a tow bar on it. Using it, and a 1/4" cable with shackle, I was able to drag those bulls down to the trailer. Granted, most of it was a slight downhill angle, with some of it being pretty much level, and it still drug both bulls to the trailer.....ungutted! After gutting the bulls, it had no problem pulling them up the ramp and onto the trailer. Elevation was relatively low for Idaho elk hunting, about 4000', and it did just fine. Both bulls were skinned and hanging in the cooler before noon! Seldom does it work that way with 1 bull, let alone 2!

I also have a bolt on side car, for it....but it requires 3' of width clearance. Getting it as close to the kill site as possible, I then pack the quarters to it (elk or deer). With some parachute cord, I tie off the quarters standing on end, or just tie off the pack frame to the side car.

One note on the side car.....it bolts to the right side of the rokon. You can take a left hand turn as fast as you want...but NOT right hand turns. That damn thing will try to crawl right on top of your head, without a load in it. The learning curve is VERY quick (as in the first right hand turn you come to). Just ask the jack russell that was sitting in it. While trying to wrestle that thing back to the ground, we were eye to eye.....probably with the same expression on our faces!

With the gearing, and 2wd, it's unbelievable what those rigs will do. I'll never sell mine.

Andy3
Posted By: Firth Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/19/20
Been watching these for a little bit myself. First job growing up was moving sprinkler pipe for my dad and grandpa. My ride to and from the fields was (I think) and early 80's Honda 90 that my dad dug out of a farm shed and got running for me. Me and my buddy (he had some kind of 125cc motorcycle) would race coming home. I could get an extra 5 or so miles per hour by leaning forward to cut down drag. I've been watching the local adds thinking of getting one from trail riding in the hills, but these new ones might be just what I'm looking for.
I'll bet that Honda got an ear full about not having that in '80. They do list the dual range transmission for the Australian market 2008 according to your spec sheet. Good info thanks.
Andy, really like these Rokon stories. The guys always invited me and the Rokon along on their bear hunting trips. Pulling a black bear in the woods is a little like trying to pull a water bed. The thing just spreads out all over. They drape over that rear Rokon rack real well though and with a little tying, you just drive them out of the woods. I pulled my buddy's 10 point out across a beaver dam once and no wheeler would have done that. Bears fold up in the middle better than deer, so I pull my deer lengthwise now on a sled.
Jim in Idaho,
If you are going to look at the CT110 that you had pictures of in the "other thread" here are some things to look at;

Shine a flash light down in the gas tank, look for rust. Very common issue with today's fuel.
Put the bike up on the center stand, grab the front wheel/forks when its off the ground and try and pull it back and forth. Any movement is an issue with the steering bearings. Many had a "release" handle to move the bars, if not adjusted right it beats the bearings up.
Go to the back wheel and move it (roll slow) hold the sprocket and see how much the rear wheel moves. Any real movement means the rubber "cush drive" is shot.
Try and pull the chain away from the sprocket, if you can move it any more than half way up a tooth, then the chain is stretched. Look for "hooked" teeth.
Not sure of the year, and when changes were made most had a chrome muffler. This one may have been painted because of rust. I have seen these mufflers rust out. Check the mounting holes for the missing front heat shield. Not that easy to fix. Others had clamps no issues other than replacing it.
Check the front fork seals for oil leaks and rust on the fork tubes.
Rear shocks for oil leaks.
Check the twist grip for smooth action, sticky twist grip is common usually from a drop or fall.
Tires for weather checking.
Ride and switch the high low range, these can get sticky from non use.
Check the rubber tubes and air filter for cracks rot etc. Common for older ones to be falling apart internally.
All the normal stuff, lights, horn, cables, steering lock etc.

These Honda's are pretty easy to fix, but at the money you said he is asking I would not accept very many issues. I do see nice clean ones going $2K+ in my area.
They've duplicated the front fender from the old CT90. That was a problem in mud. Mud would pack up under the fender to the point that it could stop the tire from turning. It happened to me 1 time. The solution would have been to simply raise the fender an inch or 2 but they haven't done it.
Re read the other thread.. New tires so no weather checking. The Trail 90 on the porch (yellow/sliver) is just like my pair of 1969's.
Jim in Idaho,
If you are going to look at the CT110 that you had pictures of in the "other thread" here are some things to look at;

Shine a flash light down in the gas tank, look for rust. Very common issue with today's fuel.
Put the bike up on the center stand, grab the front wheel/forks when its off the ground and try and pull it back and forth. Any movement is an issue with the steering bearings. Many had a "release" handle to move the bars, if not adjusted right it beats the bearings up.
Go to the back wheel and move it (roll slow) hold the sprocket and see how much the rear wheel moves. Any real movement means the rubber "cush drive" is shot.
Try and pull the chain away from the sprocket, if you can move it any more than half way up a tooth, then the chain is stretched. Look for "hooked" teeth.
Not sure of the year, and when changes were made most had a chrome muffler. This one may have been painted because of rust. I have seen these mufflers rust out. Check the mounting holes for the missing front heat shield. Not that easy to fix. Others had clamps no issues other than replacing it.
Check the front fork seals for oil leaks and rust on the fork tubes.
Rear shocks for oil leaks.
Check the twist grip for smooth action, sticky twist grip is common usually from a drop or fall.
Tires for weather checking.
Ride and switch the high low range, these can get sticky from non use.
Check the rubber tubes and air filter for cracks rot etc. Common for older ones to be falling apart internally.
All the normal stuff, lights, horn, cables, steering lock etc.

These Honda's are pretty easy to fix, but at the money you said he is asking I would not accept very many issues. I do see nice clean ones going $2K+ in my area.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I've been making up a list of things to check - condition of rubber tubing, inside of tank, shifting, all switches and lights working and a couple of other things but those mechanical details you list about the chain, sprocket, bearings, oil leak and so forth are very helpful.

The seller says the odometer reads 278 miles which according to the Owner's manual would mean it's not even broken in yet. wink If that's true mileage then it should be in good shape mechanically. I'd worry more about simple deterioration from improper storage over the last 38 years. Hopefully will go see it Friday.

Really hoping it turns out to be a real "find" and he will bend on his price some since to be honest I'd prefer the older one over this newer one. The newer one is obviously more sophisticated but as already noted it will be several pounds heavier and a good inch and some taller. And while my name will never appear on a list of the World's Greatest Mechanics I can work on a simple carbureted engine where everything is right out there to see. Sophisticated is nice but simple is good, too.

I haven't heard of any state that won't license a bike that leaves the factory in a street legal setup. But I suppose it could be a thing.

I know in Montana it doesn't matter WTF you have. LOL. They'll let you slap a plate on it.

Agree I haven't heard of any state not issueing a tag for a street bike/dual sport either but when the Title say offroad/OHV like say a crf250f that you put lights/horn etc. on -you can't get a license plate .

Montana? hell you can drive a goat/golf cart/snow machine/combine up there they ain't got no sense up there .

Friend of mine Rick was from Spokane, Worshinton - said they go to montana on fast street bikes . Said you could pass a cop doing 175mph and the cop could only fine you $5 - $5 on the spot . Cop could pull you over again 1/2 mile down the road for speeding and cite you again - but only for $5 .
I read that was coming to an end because people were going there to do top speed runs with extremely fast vehicles .
My info is old so if that law was rescinded 25 years ago --well ok .
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
This looks interesting and I'd like to give it a try. I still think the TW200, is THE bike to have in this class. It is just tough to beat for easy to ride, go anywhere, from mountains to prairies and from ranch work to campgrounds. It's not a motocross bike and won't win any races; but, it will go about anywhere and is about as reliable as one can get.

This !!

Jim if you don't get the TW - i'll never speak to you again . smile

I'd not buy an old bike that i planned on riding way out into the wildernes - i'm a scaredy-cat i guess .

This !!

Jim if you don't get the TW - i'll never speak to you again . smile

I'd not buy an old bike that i planned on riding way out into the wildernes - i'm a scaredy-cat i guess .

Honestly, that "old bike" part is something I'm including in the ruminatin'. But those old Hondas got their reputation from going and going and going, and going some more. Will have to see this one and go from there...
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/19/20

How does the Suzuki VanVan compare with the TW200? About the only difference I can see is the VanVan has electronic fuel injection instead of a carb plus the seat on the Van seems a lot nicer.
They both have similar specs but the impression I get from multiple reviews is that the VanVan is designed and geared more like a street bike that can go on dirt while the TW200 is more of a dirt bike that can go on the street.
Posted By: elelbean Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/20/20
I've always wanted one of these for buzzing around the woods. Not much more and love the fat tires.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/dual-sport/models/tw200
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I had a 1970 CT-90. Paid right around $400 for it at J.H. Cummings Honda in Newport, NH. $4,000 for the same, more or less, bike fifty years later seems a bit much, but fifty years is fifty years.

Ouch 4k is a pretty steep price.

I had a ct70 as a kid and it was the BOMB compared to our minibikes. Loved it.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/20/20
Had a step through 90 Honda Trail years ago and should have never sold it. Flawless.

Modified the racks, Added a smaller primary sprocket and a larger rear sprocket and if you could hold on, it’d climb it.
Posted By: Windfall Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/20/20
One of the only Trail 90/110 drawbacks is the very narrow rear tire when you get into the really soft stuff. Lots of penetration such that you need to get off and push on the bars some. It is light enough to do that or grab the rack and hoist it over out of the rut. It won't stall though unlike a more conventional dirt bike with a clutch. With those you turn up the throttle, push and throw mud all over behind you. Not an environmentally friendly machine.
Posted By: Shag Re: New Honda Trail bike.... - 05/22/20
This 125 is abstofuckinlutelyperfect for what I need .
© 24hourcampfire