Home
Posted By: battue History Channel: Grant - 05/25/20
Old Unconditional Surrender Grant....Three part series starting tonight.....I'm looking forward to it.....
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/25/20
Well, this should get out of hand quickly.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/25/20
I'll start the popcorn...Be right back.
Posted By: battue Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/25/20
He and that Sherman guy remind me a lot of Trump. 👍
Posted By: CraigD Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/25/20
Better make that the History Channel - at least on Dish...
Posted By: battue Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/25/20
You are correct....History Channel
Posted By: mrfudd Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/25/20
Fargin Yankee
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by battue

Well Trump is a Yankee but he does not drink or smoke, isn't bi-polar as far as we know, and probably could have made a deal preventing the war.

Masterful troll post. Masterful! laugh
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/25/20
Phuqh that guy and Leonardo DeCaprio too.
Posted By: Brazos Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by RJY66

Well Trump is a Yankee but he does not drink or smoke, isn't bi-polar as far as we know, and probably could have made a deal preventing the war.

Exactly! Unlike that warmonger Abe.
Got a good review in the Daily Beast. You should know what that means.
Old Unconditional Surrender Grant....Three part series starting tonight.....I'm looking forward to it.....

Grant's whole Vicksburg campaign was brilliant.

Trump is a Floridian now so he's not a yankee any more, he saw the light and reformed himself. Heck, even I was born in Maryland but was able to fix myself.

Being a yankee doesn't have to be a lifetime burden, it can be fixed. There is help.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: History Channel: Grant - 05/25/20
Know the difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee. Yankees come south to visit, Damn Yankees come south and stay. grin
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/25/20
You need to read his book....the media and politics haven`t changed one iota. You also need to know most of the worthless Union Generals were political appointees. By both Repub and Dem. senators.

Speaking of making a deal, read The Civil War by Bruce Catton. That was darned near done..but a few Dems in the South rejected it, in part believing the North would not go to war. Much more going on that gets little noticed.

Abe had his hands full..is and should be one of our greatest Presidents.

Don`t get the History channel anymore. Got books.
Posted By: deflave Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/25/20
Will check it out.

Grant was an officer's officer.
Posted By: AKduck Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
You need to read his book....the media and politics haven`t changed one iota. You also need to know most of the worthless Union Generals were political appointees. By both Repub and Dem. senators.

Speaking of making a deal, read The Civil War by Bruce Catton. That was darned near done..but a few Dems in the South rejected it, in part believing the North would not go to war. Much more going on that gets little noticed.

Don`t get the History channel anymore. Got books.

I enjoy Catton’s books. Good stuff.
If Grant had been the lead general at the first of the war with Jackson and Forest as seconds the war would have been over at Bull Run creek. Too bad he wasn't on our side.
Posted By: deflave Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by catosilvaje
If Grant had been the lead general at the first of the war with Jackson and Forest as seconds the war would have been over at Bull Run creek.

Yep.
I thought the one they did on George Washington a few months ago was excellent. I hope Grant is of the same ilk.

Hmmm, yeah I'm gonna have to go ahead and like, disagree with you.
got it set to record so i can bypass commercials
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
See Abe on Lincoln..
Posted By: ribka Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20

Grant was a damn stinking Yankee!!!! There I got that out
Posted By: joken2 Re: History Channel: Grant - 05/26/20

Leonardo DiCaprio’s Big Middle Finger to the Confederacy

Grant, a History Channel miniseries airing over three nights beginning on Memorial Day (May 25), is an overt—and timely—reclamation project. His reputation having faded over the past century because, as many here assert, the South’s “Lost Cause” rewriting of Civil War history invariably downplayed his accomplishments, Ulysses S. Grant is restored by this informative and entertaining TV documentary to the prototypical modern American hero. Based on Ron Chernow’s critically acclaimed 2017 biography of the same name, it’s a stirring tribute to an individual who embodied America’s finest ideals: hard work, determination, courage, resolve, and belief in democracy and equality for all, no matter the color of their skin.

Executive produced by Leonardo DiCaprio, and featuring participation from numerous historians, writers and servicemen, including Chernow, Ta-Nehisi Coates and David Petraeus, Grant is a non-fiction tale about the intertwined self-definition of a man and a nation. Born on April 27, 1822, Grant grew up the working-class son of an Ohio tanner and merchant, and found his first calling as an accomplished horseman. Disinterested in taking over the family business, and having garnered the nickname “Useless Grant” as a kid, he was sent—without being asked—to West Point, where a typo bestowed him with the middle initial “S” (rather than “H,” for Hiram), thereby resulting in the more patriotic “US Grant” moniker. The reconfiguration of Grant’s name would continue once he joined President Abraham Lincoln’s Civil War army, his initials eventually coming to stand for “Unconditional Surrender” Grant due to his habit of securing definitive victory over his adversaries.

The evolution of Grant’s handle goes hand-in-hand with the upwards trajectory of his life. Post-military school graduation, Grant entered the infantry, and soon fell in love with and married Julia Dent, the daughter of a family that owned slaves—a situation that caused some friction for Grant and his own abolitionist clan. Triumphs in the Mexican-American War proved that he was preternaturally cool under pressure, but in the years immediately following that conflict, Grant left the service and fell on hard times, to the point of taking various odd jobs just to make sure his family didn’t starve. Even at his most destitute, however, he hewed to his convictions, freeing his only slave, William Jones—given to him by his father-in-law.

The Civil War altered Grant’s fortunes forever, and after establishing the man’s backstory, this series roots itself in the commander’s rise up the ranks via a series of impressive and daring campaigns that confirmed his imposing mettle, intelligence, and strategic shrewdness. On the battlefields against a Confederate Army led by his fellow West Point graduate Robert E. Lee, Grant exhibited canny tactical acumen and equally formidable tenacity, taking immense gambits (such as at Vicksburg, hailed as his “masterpiece,” where he seized control of the Mississippi River) and often pursuing enemies into hostile territory in order to attain decisive wins. Grant began to develop into a legend in the thick of warfare, and it’s there that Grant spends the majority of its time, recounting in exhaustive detail the many clashes that marked his Civil War tenure, and the famously daring and clever maneuvers that allowed him to eventually secure victory for the Union.

Melding talking-head interviews and narrated excerpts from its subject’s memoirs with copious dramatic restagings of key events in his life, Grant’s formal approach takes some getting used to, especially at the outset. Fortunately, it settles into a rhythm, with its staged sequences providing momentum and weight to interviewees’ informative commentary about Grant’s exploits and mindset. From the catastrophic victory at Shiloh, to the heroic rescue at Chattanooga, to the bloody conflict in the Wilderness of Virginia, Grant’s recreations aren’t always as grand as one might like, resorting to soundbite-y dialogue and wannabe-mythic posing. Yet they’re sturdy and coherent complements to the show’s academic speakers, and they’re augmented considerably by excellent graphical maps and diagrams that lay out the specifics of Grant’s brilliant operations.

In the aftermath of his Civil War service (and his beloved President Lincoln’s assassination), Grant was elected America’s 18th commander-in-chief, and while in office, he became renowned for spearheading Reconstruction, creating the Justice Department, and using that arm of the government to battle and prosecute the Ku Klux Klan. Though slandered throughout his life as a drunk, a butcher and a corrupt would-be dictator (the last slur courtesy of an administration dogged by scandal), Grant makes the convincing case that he was, first and foremost, a noble patriot. A staunch defender of the Union, he was convinced of the necessity for emancipation for African-American slaves, and of the evil of the Confederacy, whose members he often referred to as “rebels” and “traitors” to the grand democratic experiment of the United States.

In this regard, Grant is an active attempt to rehabilitate the historical record, positing Confederate adversary Robert E. Lee as a symbol of the intolerant, aristocratic, treasonous old guard, and Grant as an emblem of a more open, just, unified modern America. Grant’s disgust for the Confederacy and the rancidness it stood for is on full display throughout this series, which pointedly contends that—good ol’ boy revisionism be damned—it was slavery, not simply the more euphemistic “states’ rights,” which drove the South to secede and take up arms against the Union. At the same time, Grant’s compassion and levelheadedness also remains front and center, epitomized by the lenient terms of surrender he ultimately offered to the defeated Lee, which helped him secure support throughout the South in the years following the end of the war.

Grant’s prolonged focus on the lieutenant general’s most famous wartime decisions means that the series is directly aimed at those with a fondness for in-depth military history. Nonetheless, the context it provides about Grant’s life, both as a young man and as an eight-year resident of the Oval Office, deepens its argument about the titanic nature of his achievements, and the greatness of his character—both of which make him, no matter the vantage point, one of the true, indispensable founders of the American republic.

Posted By: ConradCA Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
He was on our side, just located in the west. He was unable to defeat the slavers and traitors in the east.
At one point so down on his luck he's a West Point graduate selling firewood by the roadside to make ends meet.

Phenomenal life story.
Grant's opinion of the Mexican-American War, in which he was a number of times cited for gallantry....

http://www.shotglassofhistory.com/ulysses-s-grant-quote-mexican-american-war/

With a soldier the flag is paramount . . . I know the struggle with my conscience during the Mexican War. I have never altogether forgiven myself for going into that. I had very strong opinions on the subject. I do not think there was ever a more wicked war than that waged by the United States on Mexico. I thought so at the time, when I was a youngster, only I had not moral courage enough to resign. I had taken an oath to serve eight years, unless sooner discharged, and I considered my supreme duty was to my flag.

I had a horror of the Mexican War, and I have always believed that it was on our part most unjust. The wickedness was not in the way our soldiers conducted it, but in the conduct of our government in declaring war. The troops behaved well in Mexico, and the government acted handsomely about the peace. We had no claim on Mexico. Texas had no claim beyond the Nueces River, and yet we pushed on to the Rio Grande and crossed it. I am always ashamed of my country when I think of that invasion.”
Posted By: Brazos Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
Leonardo Dicaprio, Abe, and a re-invented Grant. What could go wrong?
Posted By: 16bore Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
When does the 3 part documentary about Lee start? I suppose I can tolerate a Yankee, carpetbaggers are another story.

Nah, I still don’t like Yankees.
This show is a fugging abortion of history.....
Fugging Idealized vague azz cliff notes schitt.....

Read Shelby Footes 3 volume series on the civil war.
Bout 700 pages each.

For a start of any knowledge on major figures on both sides during the civil war.
Originally Posted by 16bore
When does the 3 part documentary about Lee start? I suppose I can tolerate a Yankee, carpetbaggers are another story.

I would love to see one on Lee as well. This one on Grant is pretty good so far.
Soldier vs. soldier, I don’t think Grant holds a candle to Lee.

But I’m in the south and that’s the way it is.
Posted By: add Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20

Hand's full, yes.

Greatest President?

Uhhhh, no.
They just mentioned prentiss surrendered in a really fugged up brief context.

Prentiss held a position called the hornets nest almost a mile in front of the final union line on day 1.
Fought off almost 7 or 8 Confederate attacks, disrupted confederate reorganization for a little over 2 hrs at the start of the battle.
Gave the union time to reorganize day 1.

What a fugged context to put the fight prentiss and his division accomplished .

Fugging hollywood cherry picking history and putting schit 180° out of what happened

Prentiss did a hellva lot more than surrender his troops day 1.
Which he did when they had no more ammo to fight and the confederates finally got artillery up into the fight.

Thats just one example ....
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
My favorite part is in the first 30 minutes where every historian, blacks and whites, all acknowledge the Republican party was responsible for the anti slavery movement pushing for the abolishment of slavery.

Enjoyed watching folks of color who were never slaves and used here as experts on slave history in America present that fact.
Posted By: benchman Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20

We aren't especially fond of you, either.
The only trouble with whole premise of this show is the fact that slavery was legal, and the South had every right to exit a contract that did not suit them. Abe and Grant did end States Rights though. miles
Originally Posted by benchman

We aren't especially fond of you, either.

You stay on your side of the fence and I’ll stay on mine. Easy.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20

Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

That'll considerably shorten your time spent watching it because commercials took up about as much time as the actual story content did.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
History Channel is notorious for those many long commercial breaks. Last night it was so maddening that I too will now set the remaining episodes to record.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
Did the documentary ding ole USG any for owning/renting slaves or did it just kinda gloss over or outright omit it? Maybe blamed it on his wife? That didn't work for Adam in the garden of Eden.
Posted By: BayouRover Re: History Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
Leonardo DeCaprio in charge............... Really? This should be good. laugh

I watched Barkskins.
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20

Oh and don’t forget the stupidity on the Campfire doesn’t just stick to Leupold bashing and fast twist, Yankee hating is another sign of supreme intelligence.
Originally Posted by HitnRun

Oh and don’t forget the stupidity on the Campfire doesn’t just stick to Leupold bashing and fast twist, Yankee hating is another sign of supreme intelligence.

Are you feeling insecure about being a Yankee or are you just showing your anti-Confederacy bias?
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
He's just illuminating Lincoln Derangement Syndrome.
Did the documentary ding ole USG any for owning/renting slaves or did it just kinda gloss over or outright omit it? Maybe blamed it on his wife? That didn't work for Adam in the garden of Eden.

Apparently he let the one slave he had go free instead of selling him. Lee didn’t have slaves either, his wife’s family did.

Don’t recall it being mentioned.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
Television history specials are just that.

Television! The even greater opiate of the masses.

Read a book!!! Or six!!!
Posted By: joken2 Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20

Yes, and like every southern slave owners bad themed production it played up abuses and whipping of slaves which I don't doubt for a minute really happened to some but was no where near as common and often nor condoned by all slave owners as it's always implied, if for no other reason simply because a healthy, physically sound, working age slave was not only quite valuable but a critically needed asset.

Of course as so typical of cruel slave owner narrative productions early on in the first episode this photo of "Whipped Peter" was shown: [Linked Image] but what they omitted was this: Scars of a whipped slave (April 2, 1863, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA. Original caption: "Overseer Artayou Carrier whipped me. I was two months in bed sore from the whipping. My master come after I was whipped; he discharged the overseer. The very words of poor Peter, taken as he sat for his picture."
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20

Apparently he let the one slave he had go free instead of selling him. Lee didn’t have slaves either, his wife’s family did.

Don’t recall it being mentioned.

Not surprised. It does not fit the narrative of trying to make a guy from the 19th century a hero to a 21st century audience. IIRC, Grant owned one black man for a brief period before the Civil war and freed him. I don't think anyone knows the particulars of whether Grant bought the man himself or was given him by someone else, perhaps his father in law.

Grant's father was an abolitionist but Grant himself was ambivalent enough on the issue to marry into a slave holding family. Grant's wife had a few slaves which he worked/rented when he attempted to be a farmer which he failed at. They don't really know if she actually owned them herself or if her father was letting her "borrow" them while keeping ownership himself out of concern that Grant might free them or talk his wife into doing so. After the failed farming deal, Grant went to work for his father in law at his plantation where they of course worked slaves which I don't think were freed until after the war.

I don't hold any of that against Grant himself. It was a different time. Just don't care for the hypocritical and downright fictional portrayal of the big players of that era by what passes for history now days.
Posted By: deflave Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
I was really hoping that the History Channel was learning they should get back to history.

Episode I was awful IMO.
Originally Posted by BayouRover
Leonardo DeCaprio in charge............... Really? This should be good. laugh

I watched Barkskins.

In fairness, he played one helluva Rick Dalton.
I haven't read most of the previous posts, nor do I intend to, but I thought it was pretty good. Prior to this, who even knew Grant existed prior to Vicksburg?
He had more than his share of demerits at West Point, Lee had zero.

I suppose it doesn’t matter though.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
Originally Posted by joken2

Yes, and like every southern slave owners bad themed production it played up abuses and whipping of slaves which I don't doubt for a minute really happened to some but was no where near as common and often nor condoned by all slave owners as it's always implied, if for no other reason simply because a healthy, physically sound, working age slave was not only quite valuable but a critically needed asset.

Of course as so typical of cruel slave owner narrative productions early on in the first episode this photo of "Whipped Peter" was shown: [Linked Image] but what they omitted was this: Scars of a whipped slave (April 2, 1863, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA. Original caption: "Overseer Artayou Carrier whipped me. I was two months in bed sore from the whipping. My master come after I was whipped; he discharged the overseer. The very words of poor Peter, taken as he sat for his picture."

This flic/series is going to be the Neil Young version I take it?
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
Originally Posted by joken2

Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

That'll considerably shorten your time spent watching it because commercials took up about as much time as the actual story content did.

On my TV at least, I was unable to record and skip the commercials. When I went to view the recording, it went to the commercial and you were unable to skip through it. mad

Paul
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I haven't read most of the previous posts, nor do I intend to, but I thought it was pretty good. Prior to this, who even knew Grant existed prior to Vicksburg?

I was hoping they'd talk more about Grant instead of diving right into the Civil War and Lincoln and and his in-laws.

Seems like they muddied the waters much too quickly and it steered the story away from the man.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Read a book!!! Or six!!!

No reason television can not be a good as books.

A lot of books are as much trash as is much of TV.

This History series is some of the best so far.
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

A lot of books are as much trash as is much of TV.

Absolutely, no doubt. But I believe it’s those very publications that producers and screenwriters are using for their primary references. And vaguely at that.

One learns to deversify their research on any subject. Especially history.

Send the History Channel folks a message, saying you want a series on Lee as well. They certainly can't deny that it would make for good ratings.

Grant had the guns, the south fought with sticks.
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
I believe I said, Should be ONE of our greatest Presidents.

Uh..yes.

Dunno if this is a rhetorical question or not, but the guys who had been at Fort Donelson found out who he was in February of '62 when the shabbily-dressed, nondescript General Grant captured at a stroke one-third of the Confederate forces then available in Tennessee. Of course N. B. Forrest got away and most of the Confederates might have too were it not for the ineptitude of General Pillow on the Confederate side.

Always a lot of fortune involved in these things, IIRC Shiloh could have put a sudden end to Grant's career were it not for the fortuitous proximity of Union reinforcements.

Grant was fortunate too in that he served under an Abraham Lincoln, who recognized his ability early on, in the South he might never have gotten anywhere.
IMHO it all started to go “south” for the confederacy at Ft. Donelson.

The Vicksburg campaign spelled it’s doom.

JMO
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

Send the History Channel folks a message, saying you want a series on Lee as well. They certainly can't deny that it would make for good ratings.

No. They would have Lee doing a NAZI salute and providing inspiration for the Third Reich.
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

No. They would have Lee doing a NAZI salute and providing inspiration for the Third Reich.

If Decaprio was a fan of history he’d tell Lee’s story as well. Sadly, I think it’s like the news. The reporter has an opinion and writes the story to support it.

All the southerners are considered traitors now. Then again, if Lee had led the Union, I’d be a f’n Yankee.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
I didn't think Lee was that good of a general. Many of his successes were the result of stupid union generals or very risky chances he took. The union, with far more men, material, etc., did not have to take "risky" chances and was more conservative. Too conservative.

Lee's biggest mistake was attacking uphill against entrenched enemies at Gettysburg. General Longstreet tried to dissuade him, pointing out it would be far better to leave and go around the union army to take up a position atop a hill closer to Washington, and let the union army beat itself to death attacking them. Longstreet even told Lee that his scouts had identified such a hill. But Lee would have none of it. Thus the disastrous charge which the southern historians, incapable of blaming Lee, called "Pickett's Charge." Lee should have remembered the recent battle at Fredericksburg, where the union suffered defeat attacking entrenched Confederates up a hill.

After that it was simply a matter of Grant having more men, supplies, and guns than Lee. But Jeff Davis thought the South could win almost to the end. His reasoning: The South still had a lot of unconquered territory and the northern people would get sick and tired of the war. He wasn't alone in thinking that. A year after Gettysburg, Lincoln was convinced that he (Lincoln) would lose the 1864 election and President McClellan would let the South go.
In 1859 Alabama senator Joseph Wheeler and other senators from slave states introduced a bill to eliminate slavery gradually.It was defeated by the northeastern lobby representing the mill owners and ship owners who wanted cheap southern cotton.The result was the Southern war of independence.A tragedy for all sides.As for Grant,he just used the north's manpower and equipment advantage and wore the south out.He was considered a butcher at the time.Just look at the Wilderness,Spotsylvania,and Petersburg.He wasted troops to use up Lee'a resources.
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
Relying on the History Channel for history is about as likely finding anyone in D.C. concerned about America.
IMHO it all started to go “south” for the confederacy at Ft. Donelson.

The Vicksburg campaign spelled it’s doom.

JMO

I tend to agree with your assessment of the loss of Ft. Donelson. That effectively lost most of Tennessee for most of the remainder of the war, except for a few short episodes. As to Vicksburg, I have often stated that while the South failed to win the war at Gettysburg with the tactical drawn battle and strategic withdrawal of Lee on 04 July 1863, the South effectively lost the war at Vicksburg with the surrender of Pemberton to Grant 04 July 1863. I have ancestors that were at both events. It was a truly sad day for the Confederacy. However, I am very proud that they all did their duty to defend their nation and all remained true to the very end.
Originally Posted by gunrunner49
In 1859 Alabama senator Joseph Wheeler and other senators from slave states introduced a bill to eliminate slavery gradually.It was defeated by the northeastern lobby representing the mill owners and ship owners who wanted cheap southern cotton.The result was the Southern war of independence.A tragedy for all sides.As for Grant,he just used the north's manpower and equipment advantage and wore the south out.He was considered a butcher at the time.Just look at the Wilderness,Spotsylvania,and Petersburg.He wasted troops to use up Lee'a resources.

Don't forget about Grant's absolute disaster at the Battle of Cold Harbor, Virginia in 1864. Grant threatened newspaper reporters with jail time if they reported the amount of U.S. casualties.
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Originally Posted by gunrunner49

Don't forget about Grant's absolute disaster at the Battle of Cold Harbor, Virginia in 1864. Grant threatened newspaper reporters with jail time if they reported the amount of U.S. casualties.

I believe it was 7000 in 10 minutes.
All war is butchery , but the polite term is attrition.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
When Stonewall Jackson died, Lee lost much of his-----. His help, when Lee divided his army in the presence of the enemy, it was usually Jackson's foot calvary hitting the Union troops with a surprise attach.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
Relying on the History Channel for history is about as likely finding anyone in D.C. concerned about America.

Almost as effective as relying on the unbiased posts on the 'fire for history.
Lee's biggest mistake was attacking uphill against entrenched enemies at Gettysburg. General Longstreet tried to dissuade him, pointing out it would be far better to leave and go around the union army to take up a position atop a hill closer to Washington, and let the union army beat itself to death attacking them. Longstreet even told Lee that his scouts had identified such a hill. But Lee would have none of it. Thus the disastrous charge which the southern historians, incapable of blaming Lee, called "Pickett's Charge." Lee should have remembered the recent battle at Fredericksburg, where the union suffered defeat attacking entrenched Confederates up a hill.

Day 1: Henry Heth runs into John Buford, who does an absolutely masterful defense in depth, delaying the massing Army of Virginia just long enough for the Union Army to arrive and claim the high ground by the skin of their teeth. The high rate of fire provide by Union cavalry breechloaders and Spencers figures signficantly here. I believe Dick Ewell has been unfairly slandered for not taking Cemetery Ridge at the end of that day.

Day 2: The Army of Northern Virginia had just been reorganized after the death of Jackson, effectively fixing something that weren't broke. The well oiled machine has been jumbled up.

The irrepressible Dan Sickles later claimed credit for winning the battle, I believe he had a case. Arriving on Cemetery Ridge, he sends the Sharps-rifle armed 1st US Sharpshooters forward to scout out Seminary Ridge, skilled marksmen all, able to fire nine aimed shots per minute, they collide with arriving Alabama troops and commence a twenty-minute slaughter before withdrawing, blunting the Confederate momentum. Sickles then famously advances to the Emmitsburg Pike road, occupying the Wheat Field and the Peach Orchard.

The Confederate troops arriving on the field were pumped, they were used to winning and the sense was this was the battle that could win the war. I believe that had their been a single well-defined Union line along Cemetery Ridge, the Rebs may have waited until more troops arrived, formed up, and broke that line. Instead, arriving Confederate units are thrown piecemeal into the meat grinders of the Wheat Field and Peach Orchard. They come within an ace of winning anyway, taking the ground and forming to take an undefended section of ridge. In another nick-of-time event, Hancock throws in the veteran 1st Minnesota. They attack against 4 to 1 odds, suffering 80% casualties in 20 minutes, the few still on their feet retire in good order, carrying captured Confederate colors, the gap in the Union line now closed up behind them.

In yet ANOTHER nick-of-time event, Union General Gouveneur K Warren realizes Little Round Top needs to be fortified, right away, artillery and infantry are rushed in, including the famous Joshua Chamberlain and the 20th Maine. Mostly forgotten in the action that follows I think is the role of 15 US Sharpshooters stationed in a pile of boulders off the Union left flank between the Round Tops. Woodlands today but open ground at the time. Fifteen guys times nine rounds a minute equals 135 aimed rounds a minute poured into the flank of the Alabama troops assaulting Little Round Top. Cut the Sharpshooters some slack and make it 100 rounds a minute, still translate to Confederates getting knocked down like flies. Maybe this explains why they broke before Chamberlain's final heroic bayonet charge.

Day 3: General Lee is suffering from a severe bout of dysentery, his mobility is limited. The situation in the Confederate Army is dangerously chaotic, communication between recently jumbled and reorganized Corps not nearly what it should be, but Lee still has 50,000 effectives on hand, so he devises a plan to use most all of them, all at once.

Pressure is to be applied all along the Union line, tying the Union forces in place. A massive cannonade on a scale far beyond anything yet in the war is planned to batter and disorganize the Union center. JEB Stuart is dispatched with 2,000 of his legendary Untouchables to make a far end run around the Union right flank and come in against the Union center from the rear in conjunction with Pickett's 12,000 fresh troops attacking that same section of the line from the front.

We all know what happened, everything went FUBAR for the Confederates, the general movement against the ends of the Union lines never happened, allowing the Union troops the freedom to concentrate in the center. Spencer rifles again, in the hands of Michigan Cavalry skirmishers, repeatedly stall Stuart's Cavalry, still Union cavalry leaders,wishing to avoid a career-ending defeat hesitate to block Stuarts advance. Then Custer arrives, the right lunatic in exactly the right time and place, takes command of 500 Michigan Wolverines, and charges headlong into four times his number of Confederates, loses three horses in rapid succession, and shatters the Confederate formation.

So it all came down to just 12,000 Confederate Infantry, less than a quarter of the available manpower on hand, assaulting a still-intact Union line. That was never supposed to have happened.

JMHO
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
gran
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Almost as effective as relying on the unbiased posts on the 'fire for history.

Very true...Lee vs Grant? Does not matter. The smart money paid off on Grant.
That damn Yankee rifle they could load on Sunday and shoot all week.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Day 1: Henry Heth runs into John Buford, who does an absolutely masterful defense in depth, delaying the massing Army of Virginia just long enough for the Union Army to arrive and claim the high ground by the skin of their teeth. The high rate of fire provide by Union cavalry breechloaders and Spencers figures signficantly here. I believe Dick Ewell has been unfairly slandered for not taking Cemetery Ridge at the end of that day.

Day 2: The Army of Northern Virginia had just been reorganized after the death of Jackson, effectively fixing something that weren't broke. The well oiled machine has been jumbled up.

The irrepressible Dan Sickles later claimed credit for winning the battle, I believe he had a case. Arriving on Cemetery Ridge, he sends the Sharps-rifle armed 1st US Sharpshooters forward to scout out Seminary Ridge, skilled marksmen all, able to fire nine aimed shots per minute, they collide with arriving Alabama troops and commence a twenty-minute slaughter before withdrawing, blunting the Confederate momentum. Sickles then famously advances to the Emmitsburg Pike road, occupying the Wheat Field and the Peach Orchard.

The Confederate troops arriving on the field were pumped, they were used to winning and the sense was this was the battle that could win the war. I believe that had their been a single well-defined Union line along Cemetery Ridge, the Rebs may have waited until more troops arrived, formed up, and broke that line. Instead, arriving Confederate units are thrown piecemeal into the meat grinders of the Wheat Field and Peach Orchard. They come within an ace of winning anyway, taking the ground and forming to take an undefended section of ridge. In another nick-of-time event, Hancock throws in the veteran 1st Minnesota. They attack against 4 to 1 odds, suffering 80% casualties in 20 minutes, the few still on their feet retire in good order, carrying captured Confederate colors, the gap in the Union line now closed up behind them.

In yet ANOTHER nick-of-time event, Union General Gouveneur K Warren realizes Little Round Top needs to be fortified, right away, artillery and infantry are rushed in, including the famous Joshua Chamberlain and the 20th Maine. Mostly forgotten in the action that follows I think is the role of 15 US Sharpshooters stationed in a pile of boulders off the Union left flank between the Round Tops. Woodlands today but open ground at the time. Fifteen guys times nine rounds a minute equals 135 aimed rounds a minute poured into the flank of the Alabama troops assaulting Little Round Top. Cut the Sharpshooters some slack and make it 100 rounds a minute, still translate to Confederates getting knocked down like flies. Maybe this explains why they broke before Chamberlain's final heroic bayonet charge.

Day 3: General Lee is suffering from a severe bout of dysentery, his mobility is limited. The situation in the Confederate Army is dangerously chaotic, communication between recently jumbled and reorganized Corps not nearly what it should be, but Lee still has 50,000 effectives on hand, so he devises a plan to use most all of them, all at once.

Pressure is to be applied all along the Union line, tying the Union forces in place. A massive cannonade on a scale far beyond anything yet in the war is planned to batter and disorganize the Union center. JEB Stuart is dispatched with 2,000 of his legendary Untouchables to make a far end run around the Union right flank and come in against the Union center from the rear in conjunction with Pickett's 12,000 fresh troops attacking that same section of the line from the front.

We all know what happened, everything went FUBAR for the Confederates, the general movement against the ends of the Union lines never happened, allowing the Union troops the freedom to concentrate in the center. Spencer rifles again, in the hands of Michigan Cavalry skirmishers, repeatedly stall Stuart's Cavalry, still Union cavalry leaders,wishing to avoid a career-ending defeat hesitate to block Stuarts advance. Then Custer arrives, the right lunatic in exactly the right time and place, takes command of 500 Michigan Wolverines, and charges headlong into four times his number of Confederates, loses three horses in rapid succession, and shatters the Confederate formation.

So it all came down to just 12,000 Confederate Infantry, less than a quarter of the available manpower on hand, assaulting a still-intact Union line. That was never supposed to have happened.

JMHO

A most excellent narrative...
Posted By: battue Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
For the whiners who think their guy never got his TV moment. Seems like it took awhile for Grant to get his. Wonder if the Yanks cried a river in 2011? Doubt it👍

I mean, "Damn we won, why is the loser getting prime time?" Funny that......

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/lee/
Hey, tks Jorge, it is my understanding that General Lee famously played his cards close to his vest, informing his Generals on a need-to-know basis. Obviously, most of the time this had worked well.

On that critical Day3 it is entirely possible that the separate Commanders along the Confederate line did not understand what role their individual orders played in the whole picture,and hence might not have pressed as hard as they could have.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/26/20
The north won the war and went home. The south was left in ruins and 4 million slaves suddenly found themselves unemployed. Many of them starved or died of disease.

Lincoln was planning on shipping them all to Liberia,...but he got shot before he got around to it.

Then Detroit, Chicago, St, Louis, and Baltimore.

The End.

Has nothing to do with who has received their due TV time....

However, it does relate to a Muslim guy I know who keeps saying, "You have killed a lot more of us than we have of you." "Well ya, it has worked out that way."
General Longstreet tried to dissuade him, pointing out it would be far better to leave and go around the union army to take up a position atop a hill closer to Washington, and let the union army beat itself to death attacking them.

Easier said than done. Recall that Lee had been rendered blind up until contact by the absence of his cavalry, as a consequence Lee was necessarily reacting to events, not driving them and the far flung Army of Northern Virginia was still assembling upon Gettysburg throughout the first two days of the battle. Other than those he could actually see, Lee could have no knowledge of where other Union forces might be deployed in the area.

It was too late to follow Longstreet's otherwise sound plan, Lee would have had to disengage his forces in the face of a rapidly gathering Union Army, communicate the new plan in detail to his still approaching units, and then march 60,000 men undetected around the left flank of that Union Army.

The most likely outcome being that Lee would have been attacked while in column, which woulda been a whole different battle, and prob'ly not a good one for the Confederates.

JMHO
If Lee had won Gettysburg it may have ended. However if the North didn't quit, he would have been defeated trying to get out....They had him trapped if they would have tripped it....and he was running on empty....
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/27/20
General Longstreet tried to dissuade him, pointing out it would be far better to leave and go around the union army to take up a position atop a hill closer to Washington, and let the union army beat itself to death attacking them.

Easier said than done. Recall that Lee had been rendered blind up until contact by the absence of his cavalry, as a consequence Lee was necessarily reacting to events, not driving them and the far flung Army of Northern Virginia was still assembling upon Gettysburg throughout the first two days of the battle. Other than those he could actually see, Lee could have no knowledge of where other Union forces might be deployed in the area.

It was too late to follow Longstreet's otherwise sound plan, Lee would have had to disengage his forces in the face of a rapidly gathering Union Army, communicate the new plan in detail to his still approaching units, and then march 60,000 men undetected around the left flank of that Union Army.

The most likely outcome being that Lee would have been attacked while in column, which woulda been a whole different battle, and prob'ly not a good one for the Confederates.

JMHO

Hey Birdy,

Your knowledge of history is amazing. One can learn the essence of what went on better by reading a few of your paragraphs than by reading whole books.

Just think of what they could have done with two or three cell phones (if there'd been towers).

Abraham Lincoln ought to be dug up and shot again.
Posted By: Texczech Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/27/20
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Dug up and hung as the traitor he was.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/27/20
I saw an article in the Rifleman showing some presentation pistols presented to Grant. I recall the article said they were given for allowing cotton smuggling sanctioned by Grant in the civil war. I think he also had some questionable land grant dealings after the war.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...nt-s-magnificent-set-of-lost-remingtons/
Posted By: Bull64 Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/27/20

You damn right...
Posted By: HawkI Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/27/20
Originally Posted by milespatton
The only trouble with whole premise of this show is the fact that slavery was legal, and the South had every right to exit a contract that did not suit them. Abe and Grant did end States Rights though. miles

"States rights" ended during the Presidency of Buchanan.

Some case about whether or not a state could decide it was a free state or not and what the Federal government thought of it.

You may have heard of it...
Originally Posted by Bull64

You damn right...

Everyone acts like Lincoln acted alone, a bit more’n two million guys in blue helped him out, most of whom signed up for the job, willing to die to preserve the Union.
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

JMHO

Hey Birdy,

Your knowledge of history is amazing. One can learn the essence of what went on better by reading a few of your paragraphs than by reading whole books.

Just think of what they could have done with two or three cell phones (if there'd been towers).

Tks Indy, Gettysburg might be the most researched battle in history, I just read books that other people wrote. I’d call my ability to spout history above average compared to the general public, about average among reenactors cool
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/27/20
Its the dang History Channel. You know the one with Pawn Stars, American Pickers , Counting Cars, Oak Island and Forged in Fire What did you expect?

Only decent movie or show Ive ever seen on TV/Movie that ever tried to come close to disinterested account was Ken Burns Civil War and that was almost 30 years ago. Fusk i'm old.
Originally Posted by Texczech

Dug up and hung as the traitor he was.

CIC is elected and the soldiers desert; the CIC is the traitor?
Makes sense....

I'll listen all day long about Lincoln's nefarious acts once the war started.
Posted By: shootem Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/27/20
Read a little of the thread. Same old song. The winners write history and the losers deal with it. Pizz on grant, sherman and lincoln. sherman in particular no more than a war criminal. lincoln never an abolitionist except for political expediency. Even his great emancipation applied only to "those states in rebellion" not border states, or western or northern. The War was not pursued by lincoln to free the oppressed slaves. It was to maintain the union and southern assets. The Confederate States had, and still have, the natural right to self determination never surrendered in the Constitution or Bill of Rights. It was as just and moral as was the first revolutionary war. The war they pursued was not truly a civil war. The Confederacy sought to separate itself from the north not dominate it. A quick look at New York vs Tennessee or Alabama or Georgia (Atlanta excepted) tells me where the pursuit of war by abe was wrong. Carry on.
This is a different view of the war. The southerners weren't stupid, they weren't much concerned about state's rights until after they lost, but what anybody would be, the loss of 40% of your property assets. The value of plantations was 60% land 40% slaves. When Britain freed the slaves, they paid off the slave owners. There was just a couple of small colonies in the Caribbean . It was the largest government payout ever in British history to that point, dam near broke the government. The southerners knew those cheap Yankees wouldn't going to do anything like that when it came to freeing the slaves. After the North finished beating up on the South, they ended up as the most powerful nation on the earth. The greatness of the USA was made during the war. I told you it was a different take on it.
Originally Posted by shootem
Read a little of the thread. Same old song. The winners write history and the losers deal with it. Pizz on grant, sherman and lincoln. sherman in particular no more than a war criminal. lincoln never an abolitionist except for political expediency. Even his great emancipation applied only to "those states in rebellion" not border states, or western or northern. The War was not pursued by lincoln to free the oppressed slaves. It was to maintain the union and southern assets. The Confederate States had, and still have, the natural right to self determination never surrendered in the Constitution or Bill of Rights. It was as just and moral as was the first revolutionary war. The war they pursued was not truly a civil war. The Confederacy sought to separate itself from the north not dominate it. A quick look at New York vs Tennessee or Alabama or Georgia (Atlanta excepted) tells me where the pursuit of war by abe was wrong. Carry on.

The Dred Scott decision and its actors, wasnt the policy of states rights advocates nor a sepatate society that just wanted to be left alone ...
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/27/20

You damn right...

Now it’s Leupold scopes, religion and Abraham Lincoln that the ‘fire is so knowledgeable about. Why doesn’t someone discover the brain trust left here idling like a railroad locomotive?
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by shootem

The Dred Scott decision and its actors, wasnt the policy of states rights advocates nor a sepatate society that just wanted to be left alone ...

lincoln's initial idea was Liberia.
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
This is a different view of the war. The southerners weren't stupid, they weren't much concerned about state's rights until after they lost, but what anybody would be, the loss of 40% of your property assets. The value of plantations was 60% land 40% slaves. When Britain freed the slaves, they paid off the slave owners. There was just a couple of small colonies in the Caribbean . It was the largest government payout ever in British history to that point, dam near broke the government. The southerners knew those cheap Yankees wouldn't going to do anything like that when it came to freeing the slaves. After the North finished beating up on the South, they ended up as the most powerful nation on the earth. The greatness of the USA was made during the war. I told you it was a different take on it.

The Confederacy was concerned with separating itself from the rest of the U.S. New view, old view, same view. It was a legitimate pursuit. Barring lincoln's prosecution of the war the two would have soon been allies and slavery would never have lasted. It was as just a revolution as the first.

You damn right...

Everyone acts like Lincoln acted alone, a bit more’n two million guys in blue helped him out, most of whom signed up for the job, willing to die to preserve the Union.

And as soon as those great humanitarians were done freeing the slaves they started freeing the savage injuns. Same federal government, same army, many of the same officers, somewhat same troops. The slaves had ordinarily little the industrial north wanted. Easy to claim high moral standards when the better reason was forcible retention of the southern states. . Injuns on the other hand had a LOT the union wanted. Natural resources at the time unlimited, including land to cultivate and graze, and hard mineral riches (gold, silver, etc) to name a few. The South was needed. The slaves were not. The frontier was needed. The Injuns were not. But they were just savages. They needed killing, by the same moralistic government that could tolerate slavery no more. Pffftt
Originally Posted by Terryk
I saw an article in the Rifleman showing some presentation pistols presented to Grant. I recall the article said they were given for allowing cotton smuggling sanctioned by Grant in the civil war. I think he also had some questionable land grant dealings after the war.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...nt-s-magnificent-set-of-lost-remingtons/

Grant had one of the most corrupt administrations ever assembled, until LBJ and Obama (and yes, that includes the Clintons, too). His BIA was about as bad as it could possibly get, fueling the Indian Wars in the West.
Posted By: benchman Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/27/20
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The north won the war and went home. The south was left in ruins and 4 million slaves suddenly found themselves unemployed. Many of them starved or died of disease.

Lincoln was planning on shipping them all to Liberia,...but he got shot before he got around to it.

The End.

Don't forget DC. A bunch of them moved to DC after being freed. They figured Lincoln would take care of them. And here we are...
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/27/20
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2

Only 2% (more or less) of Southerners owned slaves..
Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by Bristoe

The End.

Don't forget DC. A bunch of them moved to DC after being freed. They figured Lincoln would take care of them. And here we are...

Truth.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/27/20
Pretty ironic that Lincoln cared so much about slaves but was cutting checks for millions of dollars for dead Indians.

Can someone please explain how someone so concerned with equality of blacks can support killing Indians?

Abolishment of slavery was a political tool.
That's correct, it was used as a political tool by both sides.

Both wishing to wield the power of the Federal government as it pertained to industry and agriculture and new territories.

Lincoln, as someone stated, wasn't an abolitionist. He was in a race with pro-slavery contingents that wanted to expand it in the same way he wanted it limited.

What is ironic is that the Dred Scott decision trampled on the right of a state to be a duly legislated free state.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/27/20
The south’s grandest stumbling block came in the form of Jefferson Davis.
Posted By: battue Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/27/20
Some of the Southern crew make some reasonable conclusions regarding the reasons for and historic facts post CW....And their view on secession as compared to the American Revolution are valid..

However, the States Right they were defending was the right to have slaves....Some one mentioned it was a "legal" right.....another that we should remember that only 2% or so of Southerners owned slaves....Well if one of yours sold you into another country where slavery was legal and unfortunately for you, you were one of the 2% what would be your opinion on the legality of your situation?????

Today Lee is looked upon as all that was great about the South back in the day. He is the poster boy for the cause....He had some slaves, but thought the practice in an of itself was wrong, but history tells us he did allow some of his to be whipped if they desired to free themself from the law of slavery...Well let's place old Robert in modern times for a moment. His home State is California; and Maxine, Nancy and the the crew want out because Trump won again, so they vote to withdraw from the Union. Now while most of us would gladly send them on their way, Washington decides they are not in favor of the idea, what with the ocean.food and computer chips. So it comes to killing....Now Robert just can't fire against against his fellow citizens, but he can against other Americans and becomes the military genius of California's war with America....After California goes down should Robert be considered a hero????

Maxine and Nancy being a given....
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Only 2% (more or less) of Southerners owned slaves..

A fact which speaks reams about the antebellum Southern economy and society, not much of it good.

The cotton gin and the steam engine ruined the South, the first by making cotton an economically viable crop and the second by powering British textile mills that were cranking out this new miracle product - inexpensive cotton fabric produced by steam-powered machinery, by the millions of yards.

After centuries of homespun, the whole world wanted this cheap and abundant cotton fabric, and England had the Empire to give it to them. 80% of this cotton came from the American South.

By 1820 the fastest way to a million dollars in the South was a cotton plantation, nailing down chattel slavery as, in their own words, the “Cornerstone” of the Southern economy. By 1860 King Cotton was 80% of the Southern economy, in the hands of 2% of the population, who claimed ownership of 25% of the population.

Slavery was more than just hopefully benevolent imprisonment and a lifetime of stolen labor. A slave did not even own their own body, had no claim to their wife or husband, had no claim to even their own children, from the moment of birth.

In our society our leaders come from among our wealthiest men, by 1860 the South had been governed by the Planter Class Aristocracy for forty years.

These men made decisions for and about cotton, which is why the South was so poorly equipped for war when war came. Cotton smothered all else, it smothered industry, it smothered innovation, it smothered education, it smothered transportation and it smothered all other crops.

It also smothered immigration, nobody could compete with slave labor. Balance Free and Slave States all ya want, Congress is based on population, and every election cycle there were more and more Yankee Congressmen in the House, the South becoming more and more a minority in their own Nation.

Lincoln had been a thorn in the side of the South since Congressman Abraham Lincoln’s staunch opposition to the Mexican War fourteen years earlier. When THAT guy became President, South Carolina, so cotton that the majority of people in it were slaves, was the first to pull the plug on the Union. South Carolina said it was about slavery, so did half the States in the Confederacy.

That same Planter Class were the same group who were dumb and short-sighted enough to actually try and blackmail the British Empire into recognition by threatening to NOT sell ‘em cotton, the South’s only real income. In response the Brits merely started growing their own in Egypt and India, ruining the Post War South.

JMHO
I read it. Agree with most of it, but you left out the north''s extortion of taxing the south so THEY could process the cotton. Bottom line is had slavery been abolished when the Brits did it, the war might have not happened..
One of the aspects that hurt the chances of slavery ending earlier in the US was the brutality of the Hatian slave revolt in the early 19th century. When stories got back to the US told by French refugees it scared hell out of everyone. This had a major influence on things here. Especially with the influx of possibly as many as 12,000 refugees in Philadelphia alone. It was the first real mass migrations to the fledgling United States.

Prior to the revolt, In some areas in North America, some slaves were experiencing small freedoms that had been unheard of before. Especially in Louisiana, west Florida, etc. The revolt put a big kabash on that with new restrictions. I’m in no way trying to promote slavery or any cause, just stating some facts. It was still slavery.
Hey Birdy! Ya know how I feel! 🤣🤣🤣🤣.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: battue Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/27/20
Some one mentioned the History channel comparing Lee to Hitler....

Fact is Slavery was legal at the time. Not saying it is right, just legal. Also strange that a country that fought to keep the country whole, has since fought to help separate other countries. North Vietnam and South Vietnam, North Korea, and South Korea, to name a couple. Y'all are getting hung up on the slavery part and overlooking a lot more. miles
Pretty ironic that Lincoln cared so much about slaves but was cutting checks for millions of dollars for dead Indians.

Can someone please explain how someone so concerned with equality of blacks can support killing Indians?

??

The Santee Sioux bloodbath in Minnesota of 1863 killed an estimated 800 White settlers, mostly women and children, over just three weeks. More than the total of the Colorado, Sand Creek, Washita, Milk River and Wounded Knee bloodlettings combined.

Lincoln’s handling of that uprising and its aftermath was amazing for its benevolence, sparing most (80??) of those Santee participants sentenced to be hung.

??

The Santee Sioux bloodbath in Minnesota of 1863 killed an estimated 800 White settlers, mostly women and children, over just three weeks. More than the total of the Colorado, Sand Creek, Washita, Milk River and Wounded Knee bloodlettings combined.

Lincoln’s handling of that uprising and its aftermath was amazing for its benevolence, sparing most (80??) of those Santee participants sentenced to be hung.

Famed future Matabele and Boer war hero and scout Frederick Russell Burnham survived that uprising by being hidden (as a toddler) in a corn crib!!!

Actually I don’t think he was quite a year old.
Some one mentioned the History channel comparing Lee to Hitler....

The funniest one of these I’ve seen yet grin Tks.
One of the aspects that hurt the chances of slavery ending earlier in the US was the brutality of the Hatian slave revolt in the early 19th century. When stories got back to the US told by French refugees it scared hell out of everyone. This had a major influence on things here. Especially with the influx of possibly as many as 12,000 refugees in Philadelphia alone. It was the first real mass migrations to the fledgling United States.

Prior to the revolt, In some areas in North America, some slaves were experiencing small freedoms that had been unheard of before. Especially in Louisiana, west Florida, etc. The revolt put a big kabash on that with new restrictions. I’m in no way trying to promote slavery or any cause, just stating some facts. It was still slavery.

Throw in Nat Turner and his localized uprising .
That didnt help either.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I read it. Agree with most of it, but you left out the north''s extortion of taxing the south so THEY could process the cotton. Bottom line is had slavery been abolished when the Brits did it, the war might have not happened..

An American South without slavery. A Scots-Irish population.

Look at the magnificent performance of the at that time largely Scots-Irish populations of Northern Massachusetts, New Hampshire (“Live Free or Die”) and New Hampshire Grant (Vermont) in our own Revolutionary War. Elsewhere the Scots -Irish doing a disproportionate amount of the fighting and I believe bequeathing to us a distinctively American Second Amendment, self-reliant mindset.

A South without the curse of slavery coulda been absolutely frickin’ awesome, was still awesome even with slavery.

OTOH our music might have sucked 🙂
10-4 on the Scots-Irish Birdwatcher ( grew up over in Liberty co, near Liberty,Tx!) Few people realize how many "indentured" Scots-Irish were little more than slaves, and cheaper too! ha Also, few people know that the "Tomahawk" was introduced to the American Indian by...you guessed it, the Scots-Irish! ha ( Rogers Rangers used them alot!) We might still have had Bono and allowed those English guitar players-Clapton, Jimmy Page, Townsend though, ha! smile

OTOH our music might have sucked 🙂

No Coal Black Rose???!!! No Ol’ Zip Coon????!!!!???

Massa in de cold cold ground?????!!
Damn!!! No Ring Ring de Banjo!!!!
Nope, none of that, just Elvis in a barbershop quartet
Um.... IIRC Bono is a Papist... they were the original blood enemies of the Scots-Irish.

I’ll give ya the rest tho, but who woulda been the music heroes for those guys, Vaudeville?
Birdy,

You gonna grace us with your presence this weekend???
Garden fresh ragout saturday night! 😁

With vin rouge.
Birdy,

You gonna grace us with your presence this weekend???

At least overnight, prob’ly Friday, everybody will be played out by Saturday night 🙂

OK, maybe Saturday
Played out???? Hell we ain’t gonna do anything except eat and maybe drink some wine.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/27/20
Lincoln mentioned moving the “whole colored race of the slave states into Texas.”
We’ve got the barracks all weekend to ourselves.
Played out???? Hell we ain’t gonna do anything except eat and maybe drink some wine.

You have obviously forgotten that most ever'body on the scene, whether in the year 1813, 1836, 1861 or 1944 was actually an overweight Boomer White guy on meds. Heck, just the trip into town to the Tex-Mex restaurant on 59 through town can be exhausting smile
My fav post event breakfast spot!

Btw, I’ll throw in a pack of nilgai cutlets to roast as well!
My fav post event breakfast spot!

Btw, I’ll throw in a pack of nilgai cutlets to roast as well!

I really appreciate the thought, but I can only do one night.... Friday? or Saturday?

Heck, we got extra clothes, maybe we can work Rog and Rockinbar into this deal also?
I think Rockinbar was gonna drop by for a visit. I’m bringing nilgai anyway. We’ll be there at least two nights.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/27/20
The South wanted to move slavery into western states not so much as a way of expanding “slave power” but as a safety valve for an expanding population of slaves. That was before irrigation so everything west from a line of about where Dallas is up to the Canadian border and then clear to the Sierras was called The Great American Desert. They knew slave style agriculture wouldn’t work there. But they needed somewhere for those slaves.

And they needed somewhere for those slaves because they were afraid of slave revolts. Santa Domingo where every white person in Haiti down to suckling babies was killed loomed heavily in their minds. The ghost of Nat Turner still roamed. And lest you think this is revisionism, remember John Brown set out to incite exactly that sort of slave rebellion with backing from wealthy New Englanders and to the cheers of hundreds of editorials in northern newspapers.

The idea that blacks and whites could live together as more or less equals in significant numbers wasn’t even thought to be a realistic option in any of the Northern states before the war. So southerners can’t be blamed for thinking that the four million black people contain within the borders of the slave states were a ticking time bomb. They needed places to spread them out.

Compared to everywhere else, American slavery was pretty benign. The slave trade was outlawed in 1808 and yet, the slave population increased. They weren’t worked to death and they were cared for in old age. If the South had been as bad as most places in the Western Hemisphere slavery would have been sort of a self solving solution. Fifty years after the importation of new ones was outlawed, there wouldn’t have been more than a handful left.
There existed quite a brisk trade in slave smuggling along the southwestern borderland/ gulf coast. Lots of folks (famous names) got rich or richer at that game.

That it wouldn’t have kept up with the attrition you speak of Joebob is another debate. Who knows? But it was pretty sucessful for a number of decades.

Posted By: JoeBob Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/27/20
There existed quite a brisk trade in slave smuggling along the southwestern borderland/ gulf coast. Lots of folks (famous names) got rich or richer at that game.

That it wouldn’t have kept up with the attrition you speak of Joebob is another debate. Who knows? But it was pretty sucessful for a number of decades.

It wasn’t enough to keep up with attrition. Slaves were well kept and cared for because they were a valuable commodity. A commodity made more valuable because of a restriction in supply caused by the 1808 ban on the slave trade. It’s kind of a paradox. The slave population was increasing, but not as fast as it would have had the slave trade been allowed and supply could keep up with demand. That artificial shortage, of course, made slaves even more valuable and tied up even more capital in them. Which of course, made them even more important to the system and made people even less likely to support emancipation. And AT THE SAME TIME the increasing number of slaves overall was becoming a problem that caused southerners to stay awake at night and worry about slave revolts.
[
Only 2% (more or less) of Southerners owned slaves..[/quote]

That is true, but in a lot of counties, that 2% was their cousin.

Birdwatcher, even in 1830, I rather doubt those frugal Yankees would agree to the federal government paying off the slave owners.
I concur Joebob

Archaeologist son specializes in historic (post contact) archaeology. He has done a lot of  "plantation" as well as other slave related archaeology. Some of the archaeological evidence as well as primary documentation research, from several locations has shed some light on the rights and responsibilities afforded some slaves unsusal for the time. One instance is the use and availability of firearms . Still much interpretation to be further analyzed.

As a sidenote it has been well documented that when Stephen Austin activated the local San Felipe militia about 1824-25 as a punitive force against the local aborigines, Jared Groce appeared with his 90 male slaves all armed with a working firearm and mounted on a suitable horse!

Yepper, the production of cotton soon outstripped the reproduction of American slaves, the Bowie brothers and Jean LaFitte stepped in to supply a demand; African slaves via Cuba through Galveston. Galveston was legally Mexican, and IIRC slavery illegal for at least part of that time but with no law enforcement to speak of.

Organized crime that it was, I've been curious to know who forced the Bowie brothers out of that trade. By 1835 I know McKinney and Williams, the covert front for the powers-that-be, had installed the West Point Dropout from Georgia, James W. Fannin in that capacity, Fannin smuggling in an illegal shipload of 200 souls right before the shooting started. But that still leaves about a three or four-year gap between the Bowie brothers and Fannin.

Because he worked for the bosses of course, Fannin got to be in charge of the Texian Army they paid for, tho he proved to be out of his depth in that capacity

Apparently each time the question of slavery came up each time with the Mexican govt, the state of Texas received a loophole. What ended up happening is a form of legalese indentured servitude.

Son worked a cemetery in Brazoria county that was next to a portion of state highway right of way. This portion required mitigation for a widening project. Originally it was felt there were no graves in the area of mitigation.

Long story short. I believe they ended up mitigating like 12 burials. All 12 were slave era blacks. Apparently they predated the cemetery. Further research and DNA analysis indicated that the occupants were in fact the result of direct trade from Africa. And not brought in as slaves from the US.
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/27/20
No one alive in the USA is a slave or has been a slave in the USA except that those who are slaves to welfare and belong to the ghetto gangster culture. They could talk to slaves in Africa, but that would be challenging.

They probably were ethnic studies professors. There is too much affirmative action and lack of intellectual strength in those departments.
Bur ALL anthropology or even any history of mankind for that matter, is an ethnic study.
Long story short. I believe they ended up mitigating like 12 burials. All 12 were slave era blacks. Apparently they predated the cemetery. Further research and DNA analysis indicated that the occupants were in fact the result of direct trade from Africa. And not brought in as slaves from the US.

Holy kshizzle! Fatalities en route from Galveston?
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/27/20
Famed future Matabele and Boer war hero and scout Frederick Russell Burnham survived that uprising by being hidden (as a toddler) in a corn crib!!!

"Left alone in the log cabin except for myself, an infant of two years, my mother was keeping a sharp lookout for any sign of hostiles ... Early one evening, as she stood in the doorway brushing her hair, she suddenly spied with horror a band of Indians moving out of the timber along the creek, not far away. Realizing that she could never escape if hampered with her baby, she decided instantly to hide me in a stack of newly shocked corn. ... So she tucked me into the hollow depths of a shock and earnestly adjured me to keep perfectly still, not to move or make the slightest sound until she should return.

"As she was young and strong and exceptionally fleet of foot, she managed to reach some hazel bush on the edge of the cleaning just as the Indians surrounded the cabin. ... At daybreak the next morning, she returned with armed neighbors to look for her baby. She found me, as she often loved to tell, blinking up at her from the safe depths of the green shock where I had faithfully carried out my first orders of silent obedience." - Scouting on Two Continents, by Major Frederick Russell Burnham, D.S.O.

First lesson: do what your mother tells you. Second lesson: be very quiet in the presence of hostile Indians.

Had he been found, he would never have become a scout, he would never have become a close personal friend of Robert Baden-Powell, and there might never have been a Boy Scout movement.
Originally Posted by tjm10025

"Left alone in the log cabin except for myself, an infant of two years, my mother was keeping a sharp lookout for any sign of hostiles ... Early one evening, as she stood in the doorway brushing her hair, she suddenly spied with horror a band of Indians moving out of the timber along the creek, not far away. Realizing that she could never escape if hampered with her baby, she decided instantly to hide me in a stack of newly shocked corn. ... So she tucked me into the hollow depths of a shock and earnestly adjured me to keep perfectly still, not to move or make the slightest sound until she should return.

"As she was young and strong and exceptionally fleet of foot, she managed to reach some hazel bush on the edge of the cleaning just as the Indians surrounded the cabin. ... At daybreak the next morning, she returned with armed neighbors to look for her baby. She found me, as she often loved to tell, blinking up at her from the safe depths of the green shock where I had faithfully carried out my first orders of silent obedience." - Scouting on Two Continents, by Major Frederick Russell Burnham, D.S.O.

First lesson: do what your mother tells you. Second lesson: be very quiet in the presence of hostile Indians.

Had he been found, he would never have become a scout, he would never have become a close personal friend of Robert Baden-Powell, and there might never have been a Boy Scout movement.

Thanks Tjm!

It’s a great book too! I read it not too long ago!!! Highly recommended to all memebers here!!
Posted By: shootem Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/28/20

Thank you. We know now there are at least 2 of us.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Discovery Channel: Grant - 05/28/20
I thought the one they did on George Washington a few months ago was excellent. I hope Grant is of the same ilk.

The Grant series is as good as the one on George Washington. The History Channel has been doing much better lately on....History.
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: History Channel: Grant - 05/28/20
I read Chernow’s biography of Grant a couple years ago, and enjoyed it. Grant is another one of those people, sorta like Custer and a few others, in that you form a sort of negative opinion, but as you get to know more about them and their times, you gain an awful lot of respect.
Most folks know Custer from the battle at LBH, which influences their opinion.
Most know Grant from the Civil War Overland Campaign and a Presidency filled with scandal.
Grant’s campaigns in the west show that he wasn’t a head down butcher that beat Lee by shear numbers. He was actually a pretty good officer, who recognized the shortest way to end the war. Grant agonized over the casualty figures, but he also knew it was necessary for the country to survive as a whole.
Grant also did a fairly good job as President. He did the best he could for the country as he saw fit, and the scandals were result of folks he trusted taking advantage of their positions.
Considering his life story and the context of the times, Grant was an awful lot better than he gets credit for.
Unfortunately, I didn’t get to see the show. I thought the one on Washington was pretty good and was looking forward to Grant. Hopefully it’ll be re-aired when I can see it.
Started to read the thread, but too many seem to be more interested in whizzing contest than actual exchange of information! grin
7mm
Posted By: 3040Krag Re: History Channel: Grant - 05/28/20

Read a book!!! Or six!!!

Amen!
Posted By: pal Re: History Channel: Grant - 05/28/20
Setting aside all the secondhand bigotry exposed so far in this thread, this miniseries is extremely well done and is worth watching, even if you also like to read books.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: History Channel: Grant - 05/28/20
Good post.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: History Channel: Grant - 05/28/20
Originally Posted by 3040Krag

Read a book!!! Or six!!!

Amen!

Some of us know how to do both. And this Grant series is better than some books I have read.

Does a good job with Grant's second war. The one with the Klan.

Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: History Channel: Grant - 05/29/20
I just finished all three episodes on demand (was able to fast forward through the comercials). I thought it was pretty good.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: History Channel: Grant - 05/29/20
I thought it was pretty good. The history books of my day certainly gave short shrift to the totality of his military career. He was big on moving forward, not so much on looking back. Good trait for a leader with a job to do.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: History Channel: Grant - 06/02/20
Holy Kshizzle, and I thought everything that could possibly be written about Gettysburg had already been written. Then just last week I came across Allen Guelzo's 2015 book "Gettysburg: The Last Invasion". https://www.amazon.com/Gettysburg-Invasion-Vintage-Civil-Library/dp/0307740692

Lee had already been concentrating his forces at Gettysburg prior to the first contact, based on a report from Longstreet's civilian spy Harrison that Meade, newly in command of the Army of the Potomac, was moving north. Lee's intent being to defeat the Union Army in detail as each Corps hurried north to intercept him. Absent Stuart's cavalry though, he had scant specific information as to the movements of those Corps.

General Meade, having just been given command of the Union Army a few days earlier, gave orders for his scattered forces to assemble at Pipe Creek, some 15 miles south of Gettysburg. General John Reynolds, a Pennsylvania native, was already north of Pipe Creek. Due to Stuart's absence, and therefore absence of a cavalry screen to hide Lee's movements, Renold's actually spied the Confederate campfires at a distance from a high hill, Disregarding Meade's orders, Reynolds pushed hard for Gettysburg, with the high eminence of Cemetery Ridge specifically in mind, sending Buford with his cavalry ahead to scout the ground. Reynold's gamble was that if he could seize Cemetery Ridge and engage the enemy, Meade would be compelled to support him, as proved to be the case.

Henry Heth did not approach Gettysburg from Cashtown that morning specifically for shoes. In fact Jubal Early's Corps had already passed through Gettysburg a few days earlier on its intended pincer movement towards Harrisburg. The Confederate Army was merely shifting east along the Chambersburg Pike making room for Longstreet's troops coming in from the west, Lee intending to encamp his army between Gettysburg and Cashtown.

The fact that the Confederates were entirely unaware of the presence of Union cavalry can once again be laid at the feet of the absent Stuart.

At the end of Day 1, the Confederates, Lee included, believed they had won a significant victory having, as intended, attacked only an isolated vanguard of the Union force. While they could possibly have taken Cemetery Ridge and Culp's Hill that night, the general sentiment was they would have time to finish the job the following day.

The Confederates were entirely unaware of the unprecedentedly rapid advance of the Army of the Potomac, including the reinforcements arriving on Cemetery Ridge all through the night. The following morning, Lee thought all he was facing was the same Union troops he had driven up onto the ridge the evening before.

General Lee, on the morning of Day 2, on the word of a single Confederate Scout that the way was open, ordered Longstreet to march down the far side of Seminary Ridge, sweep over to the ridge near the Round Tops and then move up the ridge towards what he assumed would be the unguarded Union rear for an easy victory. The presence of Sickles in the Wheat Field and Peach Orchard came as a rude shock. Again the Army of Northern Virginia was blind without Stuart.

So the Confederate attacks on Day 2 were not originally planned or executed to oppose the numbers and deployment of Union troops they encountered. Having no alternative, they pressed home their attack anyway and it became a close thing.

What other course of action Lee might have taken from beginning to end if he had Stuart to fill him in we'll never know.

© 24hourcampfire