Home
I will start by stating that I am a novice when it comes to handguns so feel free to 'dumb' things down for me.

Sure I own a few handguns but I rarely carry them and am in the learning stages of CC.

My biggest fear when carrying would be shooting my dick off, so with that said help me out....lol

I recently purchased a HK VP9 and so far really like it. But it is rather large and I would like to get a smaller version. They make a compact model, the VP9SK but in my research I see they also make a hammer style version of similar size in the P30SK. This is where it got confusing for me. HK has several versions/variants of the P30.

Am right in assuming that the P30SK V3 with manual safety and de-cocker would be the best variant to avoid shooting my junk?

Do I want or need the safety?

https://hk-usa.com/hk-models/p30sk/

I'm joking around but serious question!
Dude, seriously, Glock perfection! Nobody ever shoots themselves with those!
Sammo,

By my own logic, if you want to carry appendix get the hammer for the added security. Arteries and junk need not be shot. You're really the problem not so much the gun. If you're on the hip or towards the rear I'm not sure it matters.

Fcck any safeties. They'll get you killed!

As far as the HK goes the the VP pistols are striker fired and have nice triggers for one.
The P30 is a different animal. Most get the DA/SA or the V1 LEM style trigger (which is an acquired taste).
IMHO HK triggers pretty much suck.

If it were me, I'd get a Cajunized CZ P01/PCR (light) or Sig Sauer 226 (Heavy) for AIWB or Sig Sauer P365XL for the hip. All of these pistols have great support and are easy to carry for the specific application you decide to go with.
I am researching!

Thank you for the recommendations.

The CZ looks slick.
I agree with 4winds take on things. Makes a lot of sense and tracks with my experience. I would also suggest the Shield, with or without the safety. Very unglamorous and I love it.
Shields good too. Really, you should finger fcck a bunch of em. I am a trigger snob so the Walther and HK VP9 (which is rumored the Walther did the trigger for) are probably the best. But I'd get a P365XL or Shield for my hip as they carry a similar amount of rounds but are incredibly light and slim and shoot very well for the smaller dimensions in comparison to the Glock 19, CZ P10C, VP9, PDP, etc.

In a hammer fired carry gun I believe the P01 and PCR are cream of the crop with two caveats - replace the factory trigger (it's shiddy) with the defensive carry package from Cajun Gun Works and get some slim grips or whatever width you want from Lok or VZ grips, etc.

Lots of good ones out there, just need the right fit and application.
Sam. That snubnosed Airweight J-Frame 357 mag you bought recently is about as close to “Idiot proof” as they come.

Those that claim a “safety will get you killed” are usually full of it. Or never shot enough to develop muscle memory.

I shot IPSC competition with a 1911 with a safety for many years. Never failed once to flip the safety off in all those years of competition.
And I've also used it on a couple of charging wounded feral hogs I’ve put down with it while bow hunting. Safety flipped off without ever thinking about it.
If you want a nice autoloader with a safety for concealed carry, buy it. You will get used to it quickly with practice.

I’m betting you’ve never bailed out of a JD Tractor without taking it out of gear or putting it in Park, either.
I know I haven’t with at least 50 years spent on a tractor.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I am researching!

Thank you for the recommendations.

The CZ looks slick.

I would think an old fashioned double action auto pistol would fit the bill. E.g., a CZ-75 compact, lightweight (aluminum frame), model, with the decocker-only feature. The latter feature makes it impossible to activate the safety, so your only safety is the initial double action pull. One less thing to worry about, yet still inherently safe. What was the safety-decocker lever serves only as a decocker lever in these models.
Thank you guys for helping out.

The snub 5 shooter was the original idea now we are on to the 2.0 plan....lol

I haven't looked at all the reco'd pistols.

Any single stacks?

How many rounds fit in a sub compact single stack 9mm?

7-8?

9-10?
Another great option would be a vintage (pre-lock) S&W K-Frame with a three inch barrel and round butt frame. Those are awesome carry guns, and idiot proof, so long as you never cock the hammer and learn to shoot double action.
If you stay away from appendix carry and pocket carry, the chances of your biggest fear becoming a reality go way down regardless of the platform you choose.

Surely you have some friends in your vicinity who can let you shoot a lot of different guns before you spend more money.
Get a black slide S&W SD40 and put a set of M&P nights on it. Block sights, press hard on trigger and repeat as necessary. It will work every time and requires deliberate effort to shoot.
No gun is idiot proof - but all the 'responses' have merit.

I've had a lot a lot of handguns through the years and seldom carry -
But when I have, it seems the the Ruger LCR worked the best for me,
whether holstered or in pocket.
Sam,

Appendix carry only works for folks that don't have to carry armloads of stuff, lean over fenders or fences, or sit-stand all the time. I'm guessing it wouldn't work for you.
Look at the Kahr line if thinking compact single stack.

The trigger pull on those is similar to a tuned double action revolver, pretty safe & dependable guns. I love a Glock 48,but the Kahr is a touch smaller & seems to have a safer trigger.

The CW 9 is the sweet spot IMO.
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
If you stay away from appendix carry and pocket carry, the chances of your biggest fear becoming a reality go way down regardless of the platform you choose.

Surely you have some friends in your vicinity who can let you shoot a lot of different guns before you spend more money.

Originally Posted by JOG
Sam,

Appendix carry only works for folks that don't have to carry armloads of stuff, lean over fenders or fences, or sit-stand all the time. I'm guessing it wouldn't work for you.

Good advice
Yep, thank you guys for helping out.

Might have asked the same question several years ago and never made up my mind....lol

Do appreciate the recommendations and will check them out!

Armored jock😂

Seriously though, if you feel comfortable with a safety carry something with it.
Get a SIG SAUER P225 A1 (*if you can find one used*). Hammer fired.

Single stack, but unless you need to defend yourself at an inner city concert...you won't need more than 8+1.

Works well IWB, even in warmer weather.

Any SIG P226 version, P229 or Sig's .45s are great.

The Sig 365 and 365XL as well as the Springfield HELLCAT are great. 13 rounds.

Beretta FS Compacts 13+ to 15+ rounds. Hammer fired.
I will start by stating that I am a novice when it comes to handguns so feel free to 'dumb' things down for me.

Sure I own a few handguns but I rarely carry them and am in the learning stages of CC.

My biggest fear when carrying would be shooting my dick off, so with that said help me out....lol

I recently purchased a HK VP9 and so far really like it. But it is rather large and I would like to get a smaller version. They make a compact model, the VP9SK but in my research I see they also make a hammer style version of similar size in the P30SK. This is where it got confusing for me. HK has several versions/variants of the P30.

Am right in assuming that the P30SK V3 with manual safety and de-cocker would be the best variant to avoid shooting my junk?

Do I want or need the safety?

https://hk-usa.com/hk-models/p30sk/

I'm joking around but serious question!

(1) all guns are loaded
(2)never allow the muzzle to point at your dick or anything you are not willing to destroy.
(3) keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target and ready to fire.
(4)be sure of your target and beyond.

I don't like DA/SA pistol actions and I don't believes they are any safer. The best safety is between your ears - work on that.

I like the simple striker-fired pistols without a safety - less stuff to fiddle with. DA/SA invite fiddling. External safeties invite fiddling. Fiddling shoots dicks off.
Scratch appendix carry and your weenie worries are over.
365 XL or Hellcat are as small as my hands can competently handle.
You're going to have to handle a few to see what fits.

DO NOT run a gun that you DO NOT know how to operate!

You're not gonna shoot yourself with a DA/SA with a 10-12lb trigger.

You train with a safety or you don't engage it.

C'mon man!
Sam,

My youngest son carries the latest Smith Shield (II?) and is pretty deadly with it in timed fire at 10 yards. ITWB and you have no idea he is carrying with just a tee (He doesn't have the side roll of Pop's...). IRCC he carries a 1+ mag in and two standard mags out. This he does always, I mean always...
My own choice was the ultimate in safety and reliability. S&W 640 stainless, hammerless revolver. Just works every time.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Another opinion about appendix carry; before you nvest in a holster tuck the pistol in place and take a good look where the barrel is pointing. There’s a lot of flesh down there. Gives me the creeps thinking about it. If considering a DA/SA hammer gun you might want to first try a good used S&W 5906 or 5903 before buying a new model. Considerably less than a new pistol and are very reliable. YMMV
I carry a Glock 19 and I carry it in a kydex holster that covers the trigger. If I carried appendix, I’d put the holster on with the gun inside it already. If you draw your gun, reholstering should be done slow and with your full attention.

There are no bonus points for a quick reholster, just a few penalties if something touched the trigger.

Having said that, a DAO J frame is the closest thing to idiot proof out there. But there are a ton of good pistols for CC, just shoot a bunch of them and see which one YOU like the best.

The simplest and IMHO safest to carry are the Kahr series.. Literally idiot-proof..
Gentlemen, again thank you for the helpful replies.

It appears as though I need to first figure out what mode of carry would work for me and go from there.

So with that said how and what do you carry?
My EDC is a Sig 365 in a behind-the-hip, IWB, kydex holster that covers the trigger. Put the pistol and holster IWB as a unit. No safety, for a defensive pistol I like to keep it simple.

Appendix carry would seem to me to be a good choice in a very limited set of circumstances and, from what we see on here of your lifestyle, not for you.

There’s a reason the Sig 365 gets a lot of mention in these concealed carry threads.
My EDC is a IWB at 3 o'clock with a S&W M&P Shield Plus, with an extra mag at about 8:30-9 o'clock.

I do switch this out with a Glock 48 with Shield Arms mags but everything is carried in the same locations and IWB.

With both, I go with my shirt untucked to cover.

I have both a P-365 and a P-365XL both are easy to hit with, a lot of small pistols aren't. I do not find J-frame S&W to be easy to hit with. I can hit with them but the difficulty factor is higher.

I prefer the P-365 XL because of the longer grip and its optics ready. I carry it daily and highly recommend them. I carry mine with the 15 Rd. magazine.
appendix carry would be very uncomfortable (IMO) for anyone that spends much time sitting in a vehicle or machinery

and it violates the #1 rule of safety *dont point a loaded gun at your balls* LOL

strong side IWB is the only mode that really works for me , and lately I have been liking kyndex holsters the best , they are cheap , easily removed from the belt , and easily adjustable for the cant you prefer
Originally Posted by cra1948
My EDC is a Sig 365 in a behind-the-hip, IWB, kydex holster that covers the trigger. Put the pistol and holster IWB as a unit. No safety, for a defensive pistol I like to keep it simple.

Appendix carry would seem to me to be a good choice in a very limited set of circumstances and, from what we see on here of your lifestyle, not for you.

There’s a reason the Sig 365 gets a lot of mention in these concealed carry threads.

Yep. Same here. And damn hard to beat with 12 in the magazine and one in the tube. I carry mine in the same mode you mentioned. It’s a lot smaller and easier to conceal than any of my Glocks. And I shoot it just as well after a couple of years of daily practice with it.
I do occasionally carry mine in a pocket. But only with a pocket holster that covers the trigger.

Like others mentioned, appendix carry is tough when you work hard for a living like Sam does.
And I never liked the gun pointed at my balls, either.
Thank you guys for helping out.

The snub 5 shooter was the original idea now we are on to the 2.0 plan....lol

I haven't looked at all the reco'd pistols.

Any single stacks?

How many rounds fit in a sub compact single stack 9mm?

7-8?

9-10?

Most carry 7 or 8 rounds. 10 rounds with an extended Mag.
The Ruger EC-9 is a decent and cheap option in the single stack compact class. And they are reliable and work very well.
The triggers suck however. And they can be had with or without a safety.

That’s what makes the Sig P365 such a great option.
Just about the same size. With a great trigger, Factory night sights, and 13 rounds with the option of a 15 round extended magazine for a spare. Very accurate like all Sigs and a pleasure to shoot.

I carry mine with the 12 round mag and one in the chamber. With 2 spare 15 round mags in my back pocket.

And I’m pretty sure they offer another version now with a safety, if you just feel that you need one.

I’ve never worried about that, since my Kydex holster completely covers the trigger. I’ve also been carrying various Glock models in that same style of holsters for years.
I once tripped and slid half way down the mountainside on a bow hunting trip in Colorado. My Glock 20 10mm had a few scuffs on the grip. But it was still seated firmly in my kydex holster, and it was a pretty good tumble I took.
Broke 2 ribs and messed up my knee pretty good too.
Get a good belt as well. I like the Kore belts I just bought, they're not heavy or thick and don't need to be.

[url=http://www.koreessentials.com][/url]

I like 3:00 IWB. Carry my P01 and a spare mag. Black Arch holster.

I may move to the P365XL for my hip pending getting a bigger grip module, and I'm heading towards an RDO.

No safety for me, I like it simple. Striker and DA/SA are my favorites for carry.

No steel guns - just too damn heavy to wear all day and the poly and alloy guns work fine.

Find yourself a handgun with decent support, which shouldn't be too hard nowadays.
I, like many here, like the Sig P365 platform (including XL and X). But, each person is different. I held an optic ready Shield Plus yesterday and liked the way it felt with the longer distance between the frontstrap and backstrap of the frame. In addition to hand size, there are other variables that could come into play. The need to wear gloves in colder climates, the size of the trigger guard, the location of the trigger within the guard, and whether there is a shorter trigger reset point can make a difference in places like Montana. That is why it is hard to suggest things applicable to all.
Buy this:
https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g43x-mos

And this:

https://www.blackscorpiongear.com/c...ters/products/glock-42-43-lp-iwb-holster
Originally Posted by shootem
Another opinion about appendix carry; before you nvest in a holster tuck the pistol in place and take a good look where the barrel is pointing. There’s a lot of flesh down there. Gives me the creeps thinking about it. If considering a DA/SA hammer gun you might want to first try a good used S&W 5906 or 5903 before buying a new model. Considerably less than a new pistol and are very reliable. YMMV

Not to mention the femoral artery.
Flave, think you made a mistake with the first link.
Originally Posted by navlav8r

Yep. Also, Shootem mentioned the S&W 5906 series.
Great ole handguns, not a thing wrong with them, but they’re pretty big and hefty for what I would consider a compact CC handgun. And in this area, good clean ones are bringing $650 at the LGS. He can by a brand new handgun model of many mentioned here for less than that.
I see Sig P365,s, Springfield Hellcats, And compact Glocks on sale quite often for about $519.

It appears as though I need to first figure out what mode of carry would work for me and go from there.

Depends on the weather, event or travel destination.. Around here, winter, it's either a Kahr PM-9 or Kimber Mirco 9 - the former in a Mitch Rosen OTB while the latter is in a Kimber belt-slide on the LH hip... Summer is usually in the pocket of a biker vest or similar.

IF the destination is going to be anywhere in the vicinity of, say, the Twin Chitties, then the carry might be a Kimber Tactical Ultra II in a Milt Sparks OTB at 8:00 on the LH side..

For me personally I end up with quite a variety for every pistol I've got of carry options just when you think you figured it out something else comes along it looks good and you try it and some are better than others for sure. But if you're like me and you're on and off tractors and equipment a lot bouncing around and seats twisting around trying to see equipment behind you and all I end up using a shoulder rig with an armpit holster a lot. Now if I'm in an environment where it needs to be hidden better than that well that's different but I'm not in the same motions either.
Sam, I am a bit more portly than thee.

So my needs may be different than yours. That said, whem I am frequently in and out of the pickup, on and off of the tractor, or mounted on horse or ATV. I appreciate the M7 tanker. I bought one sized for medium frame revolver for my four inch SP 101. I had to soak the holster and stretch it to fit the under barrel lug on the Ruger.

I need to buy another to fit the 1911s.
Sig P365 in Fobus OWB.
Also have a Sticky IWB.

Same for J frame Smith

1911 and HK hammer rigs all OWB ...Fobus paddle
SamOlson: I carry Glock's when I carry concealed and have for decades now.
For the first twenty years I worked for a large west coast cities police department "we" were required to "carry" 24/7/365!
Over 20 years and out of 1,100 officers carrying for that time only about 16 - 18 had discharges that ended with the bullet entering the body. Mostly ass cheeks and legs were injured - never a penis (and later on nary a pussy!)!
Then, for the last 9 years of my service, our department went to Glocks and those 1,100+ officers never let their own blood while concealing and carrying their Glocks!
There were some A/D's (accidental discharges) when "handling/unloading/checking their Glocks but no carry incidents.
The smaller Glocks still carry a lot of ammo (firepower) and in my significant experience are very safe to and easy to conceal and carry.
PLUS... they get into action FAST!
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Don't let any "know it all" talk you out of considering the Glocks for personal protection and concealed carry!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Flave, think you made a mistake with the first link.

Thanks, dirt.
tag
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Sam, I am a bit more portly than thee.

So my needs may be different than yours. That said, whem I am frequently in and out of the pickup, on and off of the tractor, or mounted on horse or ATV. I appreciate the M7 tanker. I bought one sized for medium frame revolver for my four inch SP 101. I had to soak the holster and stretch it to fit the under barrel lug on the Ruger.

I need to buy another to fit the 1911s.

Those work well for a 4-Wheeler and Tractors.
I’ve got two of them I had made by El Paso Saddlery.
One for a 1911 and one for Ruger Blackhawks.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
SamOlson: I carry Glock's when I carry concealed and have for decades now.
For the first twenty years I worked for a large west coast cities police department "we" were required to "carry" 24/7/365!
Over 20 years and out of 1,100 officers carrying for that time only about 16 - 18 had discharges that ended with the bullet entering the body. Mostly ass cheeks and legs were injured - never a penis (and later on nary a pussy!)!
Then, for the last 9 years of my service, our department went to Glocks and those 1,100+ officers never let their own blood while concealing and carrying their Glocks!
There were some A/D's (accidental discharges) when "handling/unloading/checking their Glocks but no carry incidents.
The smaller Glocks still carry a lot of ammo (firepower) and in my significant experience are very safe to and easy to conceal and carry.
PLUS... they get into action FAST!
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Don't let any "know it all" talk you out of considering the Glocks for personal protection and concealed carry!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Of that " data " ...

Like to see hrs concealed vs duty carry

And where the screwups were.

Around here, when the uniform folks show up on the range I leave, as theres too many safety violations by the pros.
ISP had their officers give the underlings reminders, about safety, when they went to Glocks LOL.
Had safety cards made, so many oops were happening.

Got nothing against Glocks, I shoot em well. Just find them too ugly. My brother loves em and has several.

My dad preferred full size Sig metal frame stuff. I did OK w em, but did better w Glocks.

IMHO find a range w rentals and try diff ones if ya can.

Given your knowledge of the area and your knowledge of the personage, I would put your recommendation at the top of the list.
Flave rules.
Modest, too.

Given your knowledge of the area and your knowledge of the personage, I would put your recommendation at the top of the list.

But he once championed Sig and I now have 4 on his recommendation
SamO, idiot proof would imply that you are an idiot. Determine your personal level of commitment to protecting you and yours 24/7 and plan accordingly. 'Flaves suggestion would be perfect if you are serious, if not get a pretty holster and carry what is comfy and hope for the best.

I am not trying to be a smartazz but different people approach problems differently. I am a firm believer in hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. Some plan according to the odds and statistics, I believe in considering the consequences of failure.

You live in rural Montana and that G43x in a level 2 OWB retention holster would be adequate and comfortable and could be covered w/ a jacket or shirt when you wish to conceal. Deep concealment and an efficient presentation of a serious blaster takes a commitment to training and practice. You are not an idiot and will probably make a decision based on your reality.

The easy/comfortable choice is usually the wrong one.

mike r
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Great ole handguns, not a thing wrong with them, but they’re pretty big and hefty for what I would consider a compact CC handgun. And in this area, good clean ones are bringing $650 at the LGS. He can by a brand new handgun model of many mentioned here for less than that.
I see Sig P365,s, Springfield Hellcats, And compact Glocks on sale quite often for about $519.

Just looked at 5906s on GB. They have indeed gone up. Bought 2 LE trade ins at a gun show I think 3 years ago for $350 each including an extra mag for each. That price appears gone with the wind. Apparently they have developed a new following. There’s also some 5903s with alloy frame there for about the same money as the all steel 06. At one time I had 3 5906 and a 5903. Only have the 03 now. A cream puff with target sights.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Just looked at 5906s on GB. They have indeed gone up. Bought 2 LE trade ins at a gun show I think 3 years ago for $350 each including an extra mag for each. That price appears gone with the wind. Apparently they have developed a new following. There’s also some 5903s with alloy frame there for about the same money as the all steel 06. At one time I had 3 5906 and a 5903. Only have the 03 now. A cream puff with target sights.

Yep. Just in the last couple of years the prices have gone up like crazy on them.
Back when I worked in the Wholesale Firearms Industry, we sold a schitt load of like new Police Trade in’s 5906 Models for $250 with 3 hi-cap mags. IIRC, seems like the came from LAPD.
Try buying a nice clean used 1006 in 10mm nowadays.
You’ll need $850 to $1100 dollars. 🤪

I’m no copper or special forces type guy. I’ve just always had guns like most here. My primary carry is a Glock 23 .40 S&W. Like 95% primary. I’ve had it since 1992 so I’m fairly comfortable with it. For inside waist band carry I use a plain old Galco rough side out with a clip designed to go over a belt. No retainer other than friction. For outside waist band a Blackhawk with retainer. Uses an index finger release tab. Also have a N8 Squared IWB that works fine especially in warm weather because of the absorbent suede inside lining and neoprene outer layer. It just doesn’t get used much anymore. The only other pistol I look to periodically for concealed carry is a Ruger LCP. It’s used when I absolutely need to appear unarmed. A thin layer suede floppy holster IWB serves the purpose for it. Good luck in your search.
Again, thank all of you for sharing your knowledge and ideas.

Extremely limited supply of handguns here in town. So I can't just go and handle to see what I'd like.

I do have this thing which I bought several years ago. At the time it was the idea for CC but damn, IMHO it is too chunky for what I now have in mind. It is a brick.

Tried doing a compare with it and the 43x but I couldn't find the exact model.

Looking for something svelte.

The Glock and Sigs appears to be slimmer and less brick-like.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Extremely limited supply of handguns here in town. So I can't just go and handle to see what I'd like.

I do have this thing which I bought several years ago. At the time it was the idea for CC but damn, IMHO it is too chunky for what I now have in mind.

You might want to contact a hand lotion company to become a hand model.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I do have this thing which I bought several years ago. At the time it was the idea for CC but damn, IMHO it is too chunky for what I now have in mind.

You might want to contact a hand lotion company to become a hand model.

By the looks of that pic, Shrap, I'm sure glad we're looking at his hand and not a full body selfie shot!!
My hand looks puffy, and there is a small sliver there in the thumb meat.

Last Sunday or Monday I smashed the chit out of that hand with a free falling piece of continuous fence. It still feels weird. And I do have dry skin on the thumb joint....lol

4winds, I have to take my dirty work pants off inside the house. They are immediately replaced with a clean version, no free ballin' here....yet....lol
Wife won't leave you alone???
She's relentless!
That's a fine cocker!

Maybe you should get a single action six shooter for a carry piece!
I know it hurts, but gotttdam I can't stop laughing!!!
Looks like a triple toothed hi line rattler bit ya.
I am now trying to figure out the difference between a Sig 365X and a Glock 43X.
The 365X is the short barrel 365 on the XL frame.

I think the 43x is a short barrel on a larger handle as well.

Just my opinion, if you want something svelte go with the P365XL or the shield plus with the OR slide.

The P365XL will be a little wider in your hand while the shield will be longer across your palm. They are different feeling.

It really will impress you on how well either shoots.

I like the P365XL amongst the micros...
I am now trying to figure out the difference between a Sig 365X and a Glock 43X.

They are close, the Sig can be used with a Sig 15 rd magazine.
You picked the perfect time in history to pick a concealed carry gun. The selection is better than it's ever been. I personally carry on my belt at the 3:00 position. But then I typically never tuck my shirt in, and since that's the way people see me, they don't think anything about it. If CC is important to you, you need to start with how you dress. You pick a gun for how you dress, or you dress to what you carry. If you pick a full size gun but always tuck in your shirt, wear short jackets, etc, you will have a more difficult time with concealing, especially in the summer.

With not having a huge selection to choose from in town, here are some guns to consider

Ruger Max 9, it's a smaller gun but does hold a 10 round mag, but also comes with a 12 round mag. The grip is long enough to get 3 fingers on it. Drives me nuts to handle a handgun there's only room for 2 fingers on the grip.

Ruger EC9 is also a handy gun. It's smaller and comes with a 7 shot mag (you have 7+1) Pretty thin and easier to conceal.

Someone mentioned the S&W SD9VE or if you prefer a heavier bullet the SD40VE. The 9 is a 16+1 gun and the 40 is a 14+1 gun. Nothing tricky about it like the glocks, no safety but it's like handling a high cap revolver, The gun is not going to go off if you don't intentionally operate the trigger. It's a pretty common size as well.

I also like the Taurus G series guns which may be a G2c, G3c, GX4 or for a closer to a full size gun the Taurus G3. The first 2 are 12+1, the GX4 is a 10+1, and the G3 comes with a 15 round mag, and a 17 round mag. This series is one of the most popular guns on the market. Biggest reason is the price, but that doesn't mean they aren't extremely reliable. Check Youtube Honest Outlaw he's tested all the models with 1000 round tests with no issues. They all may or some may not fit your hand.

The Sig 365 is a nice gun but the grip is a little short (for me) if I was going to go that way I'd go with the 365XL, it's also more like a full size gun.

Springfield Armories Hell cat is another good one, but it's about what fits your hand, and points well for you. You probably noticed I didn't mention Glock, not because they aren't a good gun, but they don't fit my hand well and don't point well FOR ME. You can get used to anything but it takes time.

That's some popular ideas. I personally like the Simply Rugged holsters which for semi's the Cuda model is nice. I won't use a holster that doesn't cover the trigger guard.

If you can live with a revolver I personally really like the Ruger SP101 in either the 3" or 4" model. Which ever if you plan on using them as a 357 mag, then for sure ditch the factory grips and get a Hogue grip in either rubber or nylon. I don't like the trigger guard whacking my knuckle. Most people either use standard 38 Special or 38 Special +P. They have a long enough cylinder for a 180 grain hard cast, which not every gun does.
Revolvers are more difficult to find at this moment in history as they are more labor intensive and take more time to produce.

Sounds like you've got a lot of good ideas to consider. With few offerings at the gun shop it does make it more difficult to decide. Hopefully your shop has all of these in stock or should at some point as these are all very popular.
Take a trip to Williston’s sportsman’s. I think they have the 43x in stock and they do transfers to someplace in WolfPoint.

Side note, we got equipment near Popular these days..
I may get the 365XL as a spare
But am happy w the reg 365.

Yup its shorter. Hides easier.
My hands are med i guess. Thin so get good wrap on just about everything. Target woods on Smith N frames are fine, Desert Eagles a touch big but doable.

Like big guns.

But dang if the little 365 and the short grip......its no problem. Dunno why I like it and hate others where pinky under. It just felt OK when others didnt, and when I shot it was fine.

Havent really tried to examine why the short gun works so well for me.

It just does.

Id like to try the XL. But I dont need it.

I shared this link with Sam in a PM. I find it really handy.

https://www.handgunhero.com/
S&W SD VE
Sam, do you know anyone that has a Sig P365 that they will let you shoot ?
That went a lot towards my choosing it for a small Concealable Hi-cap 9mm. It beat all the other compact 9mm’s I tried hands down for shoot ability.
And has a great factory trigger and factory Sig Night Sights are standard on them.
Unlike most comparable models that you end up paying another $100 or more to install night sights.
That includes smaller Glocks I own and had previously carried too.
The cool thing about self defense pistols these days...You actually have to work at it to end up with a bad pistol. Even the cheap pistols are pretty decent anymore.
Again, thank you all for posting your thoughts.

Checking quick with another question.

I see they make a Sig 365 Nitron.

What the heck is that and how does it differ from the 365X?

https://www.sigsauer.com/p365-nitron-micro-compact.html

The compare feature on Sig's website doesn't give all the pertinent specs.

Eenie Meenie has been solving a lot of problems for a lot of years.
Again, thank you all for posting your thoughts.

Checking quick with another question.

https://www.sigsauer.com/p365-nitron-micro-compact.html

The compare feature on Sig's website doesn't give all the pertinent specs.
"Nitron" is just their name for their standard dull gray/black finish.

Probably the biggest difference between the P365 (and P320) and competing models is they are truly modular. The fire control unit shown below is 'the handgun' - it is the serialized part that is considered a handgun by the ATF. The FCU can be removed and swapped between different grip modules.

- P365 Nitron is the base model with a 10 round flush fit magazine. Any of the higher capacity magazines will fit, but a base plate might need to be changed.

- P365X is the same slide as above with a 12 round flush fit magazine.

- P365XL is a 12 round flush fit magazine with a 0.6" longer barrel and longer slide.

A P365 FCU can be swapped into a $40 P365X or XL grip module and vice versa. You just have to keep an eye on magazine length - the P365 10 round mags are too short for the X and XL grip module. The 12 and 15 round magazines can be used in anything with the correct base plate.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Okie dokie, I am now understanding the subtle differences.

Decisions...decisions..

I could buy the standard 365 and use either the short 10 round mag or the longer 12 and 15 round mags which would basically transform it into a 365X?

You got it.
Okie dokie, I am now understanding the subtle differences.

Decisions...decisions..

I could buy the standard 365 and use either the short 10 round mag or the longer 12 and 15 round mags which would basically transform it into a 365X?

Yep. I use the extended mags on my P365. Makes it fit my large hands better. Plus having the extra rounds too.
Wish I could go handle a few variations but like I said limited.

Viking, send a rig about 20 miles north of here!
Originally Posted by JOG
You just have to keep an eye on magazine length - the P365 10 round mags are too short for the X and XL grip module. The 12 and 15 round magazines can be used in anything with the correct base plate.

Wrong! Sheesh, that JOG is such as dumbazz.

Base plate to adapt the 10 round mags to the X and XL frame.
I've carried a S&W Mod 36 in my front pocket for a decade.............

You almost can turn it into a 365X, but not exactly, for 2 reasons.

1. If you buy a standard P365 gun, it will not have an optic cutout. (I figure that Sig will offer this at some time, but it does not right now.) So, if optics are in your future, it is better to buy the X model with the optics ready standard-sized slide and buy a standard grip module so it can be swapped out to standard configuration.

2. The grip module on the XL/X has a beavertail grip and a slightly different grip contour than the standard P365 grip module. I can use both interchangeably, but some people are picky.

One other thing. For someone with large hands, the grip on the P365 frame (in any configuration) is rather small. There is not a lot of real estate to place the support hand. Someone with large hands may have trouble. Also, with the standard sized P365, I wear a large glove and can only get my pinky partially on the base plate. Sig also sells a 10 round magazine with a little pinky extension, but it flares out a little in the front might change the way it points.

[Linked Image from ]

Hope this helps.
I would like to take this time to thank all of you enablers as I just ordered the standard P365 as well as an extended 12 round.

Now I need to go back and read through the posts to figure out a holster and how I might carry this thing.

I believe Flavious had something in mind.
I would like to take this time to thank all of you enablers as I just ordered the standard P365 as well as an extended 12 round.

Now I need to go back and read through the posts to figure out a holster and how I might carry this thing.

Congratulations Sam. You’ll like it.
Lots of Kydex holsters available on Amazon for cheap prices. Order you some 15 round mags too.

Whether it's the best decision is personal but it's not a bad decision at all..
Nice buy, Sammo!

I just bought a hellcat pro. The county is all backed up on BG checks. Hopefully pick it up in a few days. I like that holster Flavis posted.

As to a fool proof no blasting yourself in the cock carry gun, I trust my lcr with the family jewels. Even just stuffed in the front of my pants Mexican style.

Congrats Sam! Now you'll get as many opinions on holsters as you did on the handguns. I have a couple Kydex Vedders and I like them.
Whatever you decide on, be sure to get some good training. Good luck and have fun.
Sam this is what I carry my 365 in........................

https://amberide.com/collections/iw...iwb-kydex-holster?variant=39556920213552

for 29.00 you cant go wrong

as far as hand size and the 365 , I wear a 2xlarge glove , and it shoots greeat for me , with either the 10 round or 12 mags , with the edge going to 12 s of course
Great choice. For Kydex holsters, I like PJ and Vedder. For a hybrid, I like the Celtic Wee Deluxe (my favorite holster ever).
Vedder with the metal clip are great.
I'm not sure how you can beat a Glock 26 for CC. It holds 12 rounds in the mag and one in the pipe. Add a 33 round magazine or two and you have some serious firepower if needed. I just stick the 26 in my right front pocket and go, it's just big enough that it doesn't turn sideways at the bottom like an Airweight.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I'm not sure how you can beat a Glock 26 for CC. It holds 12 rounds in the mag and one in the pipe. Add a 33 round magazine or two and you have some serious firepower if needed. I just stick the 26 in my right front pocket and go, it's just big enough that it doesn't turn sideways at the bottom like an Airweight.

I've got a Gen 5 26. I agree with you. Great shooters, too.
I've determined the double stack minis are all but worthless.

I think most everyone is better off with a 19ish size gun or something 43Xish.

The single stack, striker fired guns really have merit. But I can't get on board with the double stack, reduced sight radius and chopped grip concept.
Originally Posted by deflave

The single stack, striker fired guns really have merit. But I can't get on board with the double stack, reduced sight radius and chopped grip concept.

Have you handled or shot a Shield Plus? Especially with the extended mag inserted, they come pretty close to the shootability of a Glock 19. And the mag extension is an integral part of the mag. Not a sleeve.
I have a pocket holster, a paddle holster, and a belt slide holster for my SIG P365. The paddle doesn't snug up to me as well as my belt slide so it prints more. My belt slide came with the belt loops on the back side of the holster body and didn't snug up as well as the wing type that stick out and were more difficult to thread my belt through. I ordered the wing type loops and the holster works great.

wing type loops
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

cool Right behind ya, brother.

I've determined that the P365 XL with 15 rd. magazine and halo installed is absolute perfection. My every day carry piece that never hiccups and has plenty of amo on board
Originally Posted by jwp475

I've determined that the P365 XL with 15 rd. magazine and halo installed is absolute perfection. My every day carry piece that never hiccups and has plenty of amo on board

Tough to beat.
I picked up mini 9 today.

It is indeed mini, curious to see how chitty of a shot I am with it.

Also ordered the Black Scorpion holster, it should be here Friday.
Mini what?

Congratulations on what ever mini though.
I picked up mini 9 today.

It is indeed mini, curious to see how chitty of a shot I am with it.

Also ordered the Black Scorpion holster, it should be here Friday.

Which one did you get? Inquiring minds want to know

Last Friday post.

Last Friday post.

You wild bitch.
Wild bitch pleaser.
Awwww, schit!!!

Deebo gonna get you!
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I also like the Taurus G series guns which may be a G2c, G3c, GX4 or for a closer to a full size gun the Taurus G3. The first 2 are 12+1, the GX4 is a 10+1, and the G3 comes with a 15 round mag, and a 17 round mag. This series is one of the most popular guns on the market. Biggest reason is the price, but that doesn't mean they aren't extremely reliable. Check Youtube Honest Outlaw he's tested all the models with 1000 round tests with no issues. They all may or some may not fit your hand.
I was leaning hard towards getting a GX4 and adding the extra length to the magazines. However, the recently released G3X and G3XL have my interest. G3X is a full size grip with shorter slide and the G3XL seems to be a compact grip with a full sized slide. I'd like to lay my hands on each to see which feels best. I like the fact these two models come with out safeties.
I have a Springfield Armory 911 and a buddy has a Colt Government and they are about the same size as most of the new "pocket pistols" like the 365. My 911 came with a pocket holster which is simply a smooth sided pocket the pistol fits into and just drop it into my front pants pocket for carry when I'm wearing light clothes. If I'm wearing a vest or jacket of any type they fit into the inside chest pocket by just dropping it in and you can retrieve it pretty quickly if necessary. I have other pistols and carry methods for larger pistols but my whole purpose of getting something this small was to be able to carry as unobtrusively as possible all the time as opposed to when I was wearing winter clothes. Makes me feel a lot better about walking about these days...

I've been looking at those Sigs since someone brought them up on this forum and I have to say I may have a second pocket pistol very soon after reading about them and the reviews here. I especially like the ability to carry 12-15 rounds as opposed to my 911 only carrying 6 or 7, depending on magazines...

Bob

Last Friday post.

You'll like it. I carry mine with the 12 and have the 15-rd as my backup mag.
Did a quick blast session after work.

10 shots at 10 yards, reasonably fast shooting.

Obviously it hits a little to the right with the 124 grain Federal FMJ's.

And please don't make fun of the safety.....lol

That works. I like the idea of a safety.

No blizzard conditions on the rez?

That can be caused by the way you are pulling the trigger
Viking, it is blowing like a sonuvabitch out on the flats and hills! I snuck down over an old river bank and found a reasonably less windy spot.

JWP, that could very well be the case. My first shot was the closest and then I believe the group shifted to the right. Readily admit that I need A LOT of practice!

Mine didn't have a safety so I installed one. wink
Dave, I was reading where you can install a safety.

I assumed you could also uninstall a safety as well?

Not that I foresee myself getting rid of it.

Figured if I don't like it I simply won't use it.

With all due respect to brother Flave, your new acquisition appears to work better for you (as does mine for me) than something that I would consider to be “all but worthless.” Enjoy.
Yes, you can remove it but you'd need to get a grip module for a 365 without a safety.

With all due respect to brother Flave, your new acquisition appears to work better for you (as does mine for me) than something that I would consider to be “all but worthless.” Enjoy.

I would say that gun is more comparable to a 43X which is in keeping with Flave's doctrine.

When I berate double stack minis I'm referring to G26 type stuff.

I would say that gun is more comparable to a 43X which is in keeping with Flave's doctrine.

When I berate double stack minis I'm referring to G26 type stuff.

Ah, I misunderstood. My apologies. These newer mini-nines are really more of a one and a half stack anyway.

I still haven't gotten rid of my 26, because I still view it as sturdier than the P365 variants, and it can take the much larger magazines. But, I shot my standard P365 better out of the box than my 26 that had about 7500 rounds downrange.

Ah, I misunderstood. My apologies. These newer mini-nines are really more of a one and a half stack anyway.

I still haven't gotten rid of my 26, because I still view it as sturdier than the P365 variants, and it can take the much larger magazines. But, I shot my standard P365 better out of the box than my 26 that had about 7500 rounds downrange.

I hate those fugkin' things.

What? Micro 9s or G26?
The 365x and xl are the Goldilocks in auto 9’s. IMO.

Same with the Hellcat Pro.
Originally Posted by jwp475

Tough to beat.

That's my ride.
Originally Posted by Stophel

This is not true, but for a semi auto carry gun, the Glock would not be a bad choice.
Originally Posted by efw

What? Micro 9s or G26?

26 types.
Originally Posted by mrmarklin

This is not true, but for a semi auto carry gun, the Glock would not be a bad choice.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture about to say.jpg
Originally Posted by efw

What? Micro 9s or G26?

26 types.

Based upon what? Mine has served me quite well; my hands don’t really get a solid grip on the micro 9s but the 26, with its thicker grip (& coarse Talons) works well.

I’ve actually gone to a G19 as EDC.
Hard to beat the Gen 5 Glock 19 for daily carry.

I specify Gen 5, because the Gens 3 and 4 didn't fit my hand. My pinky was forced to rest on the point of the bottom finger groove. The Gen 5 has no finger grooves, so my pinky rests in a normal position on the grip.
Originally Posted by efw

Based upon what? Mine has served me quite well; my hands don’t really get a solid grip on the micro 9s but the 26, with its thicker grip (& coarse Talons) works well.

I’ve actually gone to a G19 as EDC.

I think you answered your own question.
Congrats on the purchase.

I’m assuming that’s an ambidextrous safety.

Doesn’t seem like pocket carry is gonna be an issue for you.

When I carry nowadays it’s almost always pocket carry.

I find the Sig 365 just a tad too heavy and a tad too wide for comfortable pocket carry., the ambidextrous safety adds a few mm more to a that width.

For future reference Ruger makes the reasonably priced EC 9 single stack 9mm, seven round mag. It’s narrower and lighter than the Sig, light enough for me for pocket carry. Also has a ( non-ambidextrous) safety. Used to be that 7+1 was considered an acceptable capacity for a handgun
I don’t get pocket carry for day to day use, do you not wear a belt?

Running to a store quick or the gym in sweatpants I understand but day to day? Why?
Originally Posted by Hypocrite

Running to a store quick or the gym in sweatpants I understand but day to day? Why?

Because when it is warm out I don't wear heavy enough clothes quite often that would cover a carry weapon in a holster- like many guys. Having a pistol I can drop in a front pants pocket and not show means I can carry every day if I so choose and no one is the wiser. My .45 is great for those days when I'm wearing heavier clothes or a coat and I usually carry it in an underarm holster.... sometimes you have make accommodations to carry every day when you want to stay concealed.....
Originally Posted by Hypocrite

Convenience, concealment. Works with whatever I have on. Often I’m out and about with the grandchild, she has no idea I’m carrying any more than her father did at her age. I can’t carry at work, so it’s less of an “everyday carry” proposition anyway.

Easy to do around the house and yard too.

It could be that pocket carry reduces one’s handgun to “comfort animal” status, but it still beats a sharp stick I reckon.
Folks likely think I'm suffering under a burden, and my pants are always pulling down from the weight, because I carry and all steel Commander-sized 1911 .45. Not so, however. With a proper belt and holster, its weight is really unnoticeable. I can hardly tell the difference at times whether my holster is empty, and have to feel for the gun sometimes to make sure it's there. Somehow, that flat shape just hugs your body in a good IWB holster, and can be adequately concealed with an untucked polo shirt.

Of course it would not fit into the category of "Idiot Proof," since you do have to train with it to use it effectively, i.e., you must instinctively operate the thumb safety both on and off.
Lately I've been packin a Colt Detective Special in a cross draw holster on my left side, and a Sig P-365 IWB on my right side.

"Balances" out well. My britches sag the same amount on both sides! (Grin!)

Virgil B.
Pocket carry is like wearing sweatpants in public - another sign you've given up.
While I carry a G19 IWB everyday, I have a buddy that works in a very anti-gun environment and pocket carries a 642. It works for him and he trains with the 642, even shoots matches with it now and then. He does use a pocket holster to prevent printing and keep it as safe as possible. But even he will tell you it's not the way he would choose if he knew he was going to have to use it. Sometimes you just have to weigh the odds vs the risks and as long as you are armed with something you know how to use, you're ahead of the game.
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Lately I've been packin a Colt Detective Special in a cross draw holster on my left side, and a Sig P-365 IWB on my right side.

"Balances" out well. My britches sag the same amount on both sides! (Grin!)

Virgil B.

Detective Specials are great little guns. I carried an old one in nice shape for years.
Originally Posted by JOG
Pocket carry is like wearing sweatpants in public - another sign you've given up.

Oh.

I thought it just meant you had a handgun in your pocket, right there in case you needed it.
Originally Posted by JOG

grin some folks just like comfort animals.

mike r
I bought a belly band. Meh, for the price, why not.
Originally Posted by JOG

When it's 95 degrees and 65% humidity it can sometimes limit your concealability options.
Originally Posted by JOG

When it's 95 degrees and 65% humidity it can sometimes limit your concealability options.

Why do people always say this?

Is there somewhere in the lower 48 that doesn't have summer?

Do they not sell belts, shorts, and collared shirts in these places?

Are you all wearing loin cloths and swinging from building to building?
TFF

Hawkeye;

My detective Special is "old school" it was manufactured in 1971.

It looked like it had been bought new, then stuck in a nightstand drawer for 40 years.

Was very pleased to find one in this condition.

Virgil B.
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange

Hawkeye;

My detective Special is "old school" it was manufactured in 1971.

It looked like it had been bought new, then stuck in a nightstand drawer for 40 years.

Was very pleased to find one in this condition.

Virgil B.

I've got one like that, too. Action, and cylinder swing out, feel like it came from the factory yesterday. I prefer the pre-72 pattern, like the one you have (I've had three pre-72 pattern and one post-71 pattern). I used to have a post 71 pattern DS, but sold it years ago. It too was like brand new.

Here are the two I still have in my collection.

One is a pre-46 (bottom) and one is a post-45 (top).

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by JOG

Why do people always say this?

Is there somewhere in the lower 48 that doesn't have summer?

Do they not sell belts, shorts, and collared shirts in these places?

Are you all wearing loin cloths and swinging from building to building?

That's why Deshawn's pants are hanging below his azz - no belt and pocket carry.

Hawkeye;

Those are really COOL!

Mine looks similar to the top one.

Virgil B.
© 24hourcampfire