Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Gentlemen, again thank you for the helpful replies.

It appears as though I need to first figure out what mode of carry would work for me and go from there.

So with that said how and what do you carry?
Depends on the weather, event or travel destination.. Around here, winter, it's either a Kahr PM-9 or Kimber Mirco 9 - the former in a Mitch Rosen OTB while the latter is in a Kimber belt-slide on the LH hip... Summer is usually in the pocket of a biker vest or similar.

IF the destination is going to be anywhere in the vicinity of, say, the Twin Chitties, then the carry might be a Kimber Tactical Ultra II in a Milt Sparks OTB at 8:00 on the LH side..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

It appears as though I need to first figure out what mode of carry would work for me and go from there.

For me personally I end up with quite a variety for every pistol I've got of carry options just when you think you figured it out something else comes along it looks good and you try it and some are better than others for sure. But if you're like me and you're on and off tractors and equipment a lot bouncing around and seats twisting around trying to see equipment behind you and all I end up using a shoulder rig with an armpit holster a lot. Now if I'm in an environment where it needs to be hidden better than that well that's different but I'm not in the same motions either.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Sam, I am a bit more portly than thee.

So my needs may be different than yours. That said, whem I am frequently in and out of the pickup, on and off of the tractor, or mounted on horse or ATV. I appreciate the M7 tanker. I bought one sized for medium frame revolver for my four inch SP 101. I had to soak the holster and stretch it to fit the under barrel lug on the Ruger.

I need to buy another to fit the 1911s.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Sig P365 in Fobus OWB.
Also have a Sticky IWB.

Same for J frame Smith

1911 and HK hammer rigs all OWB ...Fobus paddle

Last edited by hookeye; 04/06/22.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
SamOlson: I carry Glock's when I carry concealed and have for decades now.
For the first twenty years I worked for a large west coast cities police department "we" were required to "carry" 24/7/365!
Over 20 years and out of 1,100 officers carrying for that time only about 16 - 18 had discharges that ended with the bullet entering the body. Mostly ass cheeks and legs were injured - never a penis (and later on nary a pussy!)!
Then, for the last 9 years of my service, our department went to Glocks and those 1,100+ officers never let their own blood while concealing and carrying their Glocks!
There were some A/D's (accidental discharges) when "handling/unloading/checking their Glocks but no carry incidents.
The smaller Glocks still carry a lot of ammo (firepower) and in my significant experience are very safe to and easy to conceal and carry.
PLUS... they get into action FAST!
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Don't let any "know it all" talk you out of considering the Glocks for personal protection and concealed carry!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Flave, think you made a mistake with the first link.

Thanks, dirt.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
tag

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Sam, I am a bit more portly than thee.

So my needs may be different than yours. That said, whem I am frequently in and out of the pickup, on and off of the tractor, or mounted on horse or ATV. I appreciate the M7 tanker. I bought one sized for medium frame revolver for my four inch SP 101. I had to soak the holster and stretch it to fit the under barrel lug on the Ruger.

I need to buy another to fit the 1911s.

Those work well for a 4-Wheeler and Tractors.
I’ve got two of them I had made by El Paso Saddlery.
One for a 1911 and one for Ruger Blackhawks.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
SamOlson: I carry Glock's when I carry concealed and have for decades now.
For the first twenty years I worked for a large west coast cities police department "we" were required to "carry" 24/7/365!
Over 20 years and out of 1,100 officers carrying for that time only about 16 - 18 had discharges that ended with the bullet entering the body. Mostly ass cheeks and legs were injured - never a penis (and later on nary a pussy!)!
Then, for the last 9 years of my service, our department went to Glocks and those 1,100+ officers never let their own blood while concealing and carrying their Glocks!
There were some A/D's (accidental discharges) when "handling/unloading/checking their Glocks but no carry incidents.
The smaller Glocks still carry a lot of ammo (firepower) and in my significant experience are very safe to and easy to conceal and carry.
PLUS... they get into action FAST!
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Don't let any "know it all" talk you out of considering the Glocks for personal protection and concealed carry!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Of that " data " ...

Like to see hrs concealed vs duty carry

And where the screwups were.

Around here, when the uniform folks show up on the range I leave, as theres too many safety violations by the pros.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/06/22.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
ISP had their officers give the underlings reminders, about safety, when they went to Glocks LOL.
Had safety cards made, so many oops were happening.

Got nothing against Glocks, I shoot em well. Just find them too ugly. My brother loves em and has several.

My dad preferred full size Sig metal frame stuff. I did OK w em, but did better w Glocks.

IMHO find a range w rentals and try diff ones if ya can.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Given your knowledge of the area and your knowledge of the personage, I would put your recommendation at the top of the list.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Flave rules.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Modest, too.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

Given your knowledge of the area and your knowledge of the personage, I would put your recommendation at the top of the list.

But he once championed Sig and I now have 4 on his recommendation

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
SamO, idiot proof would imply that you are an idiot. Determine your personal level of commitment to protecting you and yours 24/7 and plan accordingly. 'Flaves suggestion would be perfect if you are serious, if not get a pretty holster and carry what is comfy and hope for the best.

I am not trying to be a smartazz but different people approach problems differently. I am a firm believer in hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. Some plan according to the odds and statistics, I believe in considering the consequences of failure.

You live in rural Montana and that G43x in a level 2 OWB retention holster would be adequate and comfortable and could be covered w/ a jacket or shirt when you wish to conceal. Deep concealment and an efficient presentation of a serious blaster takes a commitment to training and practice. You are not an idiot and will probably make a decision based on your reality.

The easy/comfortable choice is usually the wrong one.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by shootem
Another opinion about appendix carry; before you nvest in a holster tuck the pistol in place and take a good look where the barrel is pointing. There’s a lot of flesh down there. Gives me the creeps thinking about it. If considering a DA/SA hammer gun you might want to first try a good used S&W 5906 or 5903 before buying a new model. Considerably less than a new pistol and are very reliable. YMMV

Not to mention the femoral artery.

Yep. Also, Shootem mentioned the S&W 5906 series.
Great ole handguns, not a thing wrong with them, but they’re pretty big and hefty for what I would consider a compact CC handgun. And in this area, good clean ones are bringing $650 at the LGS. He can by a brand new handgun model of many mentioned here for less than that.
I see Sig P365,s, Springfield Hellcats, And compact Glocks on sale quite often for about $519.

Just looked at 5906s on GB. They have indeed gone up. Bought 2 LE trade ins at a gun show I think 3 years ago for $350 each including an extra mag for each. That price appears gone with the wind. Apparently they have developed a new following. There’s also some 5903s with alloy frame there for about the same money as the all steel 06. At one time I had 3 5906 and a 5903. Only have the 03 now. A cream puff with target sights.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Another opinion about appendix carry; before you nvest in a holster tuck the pistol in place and take a good look where the barrel is pointing. There’s a lot of flesh down there. Gives me the creeps thinking about it. If considering a DA/SA hammer gun you might want to first try a good used S&W 5906 or 5903 before buying a new model. Considerably less than a new pistol and are very reliable. YMMV

Not to mention the femoral artery.

Yep. Also, Shootem mentioned the S&W 5906 series.
Great ole handguns, not a thing wrong with them, but they’re pretty big and hefty for what I would consider a compact CC handgun. And in this area, good clean ones are bringing $650 at the LGS. He can by a brand new handgun model of many mentioned here for less than that.
I see Sig P365,s, Springfield Hellcats, And compact Glocks on sale quite often for about $519.

Just looked at 5906s on GB. They have indeed gone up. Bought 2 LE trade ins at a gun show I think 3 years ago for $350 each including an extra mag for each. That price appears gone with the wind. Apparently they have developed a new following. There’s also some 5903s with alloy frame there for about the same money as the all steel 06. At one time I had 3 5906 and a 5903. Only have the 03 now. A cream puff with target sights.

Yep. Just in the last couple of years the prices have gone up like crazy on them.
Back when I worked in the Wholesale Firearms Industry, we sold a schitt load of like new Police Trade in’s 5906 Models for $250 with 3 hi-cap mags. IIRC, seems like the came from LAPD.
Try buying a nice clean used 1006 in 10mm nowadays.
You’ll need $850 to $1100 dollars. 🤪

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/06/22.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S

I’m no copper or special forces type guy. I’ve just always had guns like most here. My primary carry is a Glock 23 .40 S&W. Like 95% primary. I’ve had it since 1992 so I’m fairly comfortable with it. For inside waist band carry I use a plain old Galco rough side out with a clip designed to go over a belt. No retainer other than friction. For outside waist band a Blackhawk with retainer. Uses an index finger release tab. Also have a N8 Squared IWB that works fine especially in warm weather because of the absorbent suede inside lining and neoprene outer layer. It just doesn’t get used much anymore. The only other pistol I look to periodically for concealed carry is a Ruger LCP. It’s used when I absolutely need to appear unarmed. A thin layer suede floppy holster IWB serves the purpose for it. Good luck in your search.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Again, thank all of you for sharing your knowledge and ideas.

Extremely limited supply of handguns here in town. So I can't just go and handle to see what I'd like.

I do have this thing which I bought several years ago. At the time it was the idea for CC but damn, IMHO it is too chunky for what I now have in mind. It is a brick.

Tried doing a compare with it and the 43x but I couldn't find the exact model.

Looking for something svelte.

The Glock and Sigs appears to be slimmer and less brick-like.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Again, thank all of you for sharing your knowledge and ideas.

Extremely limited supply of handguns here in town. So I can't just go and handle to see what I'd like.

I do have this thing which I bought several years ago. At the time it was the idea for CC but damn, IMHO it is too chunky for what I now have in mind.

Tried doing a compare with it and the 43x but I couldn't find the exact model.

Looking for something svelte.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

You might want to contact a hand lotion company to become a hand model.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 25aught6, 65 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,932
Posts18,518,954
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.