Home
Posted By: lubbockdave 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/26/22
how does a 10mm compare to a 44 mag recoil wise? lets assume same model gun, same factory ammo loads etc...
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/26/22
If 44 mag is a 100%, 10mm is about 65%
Posted By: FWP Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/26/22
I do not have both calibers in the same model but I do have an S&W 69 and a Sig 220 which are close to the same weight. The sig with the hottest ammo is soft shooting. The 69 kicks.

I think Always got it about right.
Posted By: dla Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/26/22
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
how does a 10mm compare to a 44 mag recoil wise? lets assume same model gun, same factory ammo loads etc...
The 10mm will have about half the recoil. Remember, a 10mm is topped out with a 220 @1200fps, whereas a 44mag is usually a 240gr @1300fps and up.

It even worse with a 44mag like the S&W329 which is much lighter than your typical 10mm.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/26/22
Originally Posted by FWP
I do not have both calibers in the same model but I do have an S&W 69 and a Sig 220 which are close to the same weight. The sig with the hottest ammo is soft shooting. The 69 kicks.

I think Always got it about right.
X2.

It’s tough to compare given that they’re usually chambered in completely different platforms and are different calibers. A 10mm to a 41 Magnum is a more typical comparison but still usually completely different handgun types.

A typical downloaded 10mm round in a pistol is snappy. A full house 44 Mag round in a revolver requires some actual muzzle control.
Posted By: lubbockdave Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/26/22
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

That’s good to hear. Been thinking about a 10mm to keep around as a gun to carry in the woods but don’t want to spend the $$ if it hits back like a 44 mag. I’ve owned 2 44 mags in my life-think I shot about 10rounds total and have decided for me the 44 mag is a rounds made for a Marlin lever gun 🤣🤣😉
Posted By: Doc_Holidude Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/26/22
Think the 65% comparison is about right. About 30 years ago I owned a 629 Classic 5” for about a two months and 1 box of shells. It sucked to shoot. No fun at all. The backstrap gnawed into my hand like a starving, pissed off, rabid wolverine! I sold it for what I paid for it, saved that money and scoured the Gun List issues for a couple of months until I found a 610 Classic, which I still own to this day. Same exact platform for both calibers…an absolute world of difference in shooting experience! Also it has the bonus of shooting .40 S & W rounds out of it!

Doc_Holidude
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/26/22
Shot my S&W model 29 44 mag with 300 gr cast loads & my Glock 10mm with 220 Gr Buffalo Bore loads have owned the S&W since early 80,s.

Shot them both fast same target distance, amazing how much faster and better accuracy with the Glock dont think I have fired the S&W since I bought the Glock.

I carry the 10mm I can go out the door with 45 rounds on last minute boat trips or hikes quickly without hunting down ammo for the S&W.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/26/22
Shooting a 629 versus a 610 with full house hard cast in both I’d say the difference,at least perceived, difference is almost nothing, at least for me it doesn’t seem like that much difference. That’s my honest real world opinion.
Posted By: UpThePole Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/26/22
Depends on the gun. My 329 kicks like a mule whereas my Grand 10 is no drama.

However for serious business no 10 equals a 320 hardcast at 1100 fps from a 44 mag.
Posted By: Oheremicus Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/26/22
I've owned three .44 Magnums, still have both 4 inch Smiths. One is a 25.5 oz. 329, and the other is a 43 oz. 29. I owned a 1006 smith for over 20 years. A bit heavier gun. I've shot a couple of 39 oz. 1911, 10 mm's.
No comparison. The 1911's were sharper recoiling than those than those 1911's in .45 ACP. But, with hot 185 gr. loads, say 1150 fps. w/ a 185 gr. HP, the difference was pretty small.
The 43 oz., all steel 29 is much heavier recoiling than the like weight 10's. On the order of 50-100% more. Alot depends on the gun's fit to one's hand.
A couple of other things. The 10mm has no where near the sharp muzzle blast of the .44 magnums. I had a 43 oz. Smith 57 with a 4 inch barrel for a few years. 15% of the .44 Mags recoil is about right.
Still more. The 10 mm is not "hot" loaded by most factory ammo companies for good reason. As a hand loader of some 64 years experience, I can tell you is goes critical with any small change in components. E

That’s good to hear. Been thinking about a 10mm to keep around as a gun to carry in the woods but don’t want to spend the $$ if it hits back like a 44 mag. I’ve owned 2 44 mags in my life-think I shot about 10rounds total and have decided for me the 44 mag is a rounds made for a Marlin lever gun 🤣🤣😉
I’m not a fan of full power 44 Mag loads but my S&W 629 downloaded to a hot 44 Special is one of my favorite guns to shoot.
Posted By: Slavek Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/26/22
The revolver will have more recoil. My revolver shooting .40 180 has > recoil than G20 10mm. The .44 Magnum will obviously kick > 10mm revolver or pistol.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/26/22
Originally Posted by Slavek
The revolver will have more recoil. My revolver shooting .40 180 has > recoil than G20 10mm. The .44 Magnum will obviously kick > 10mm revolver or pistol.

Your Airsoft guns don’t count, DUMBASS.

Go change your dirty diaper.
I find it comical how many Americans are awed by 10mm auto as the Vikings were with ⚒️ of Thor. 😱 This super respect for the round is....😆😂🤣 🤭. Uuuuuuuh, ooopooh, you are shooting this powerhouse?🤣🤣🤣🤣 You know .45ACP is 11,43x23?
Posted By: Raferman Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/26/22
I find it comical how many Americans are awed by 10mm auto as the Vikings were with ⚒️ of Thor. 😱 This super respect for the round is....😆😂🤣 🤭. Uuuuuuuh, ooopooh, you are shooting this powerhouse?🤣🤣🤣🤣 You know .45ACP is 11,43x23?
Saw you took out good guy sock coppersolid again.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/26/22
10 mm comes in a wide range of factory offerings. Most companies it's only loaded a little hotter than 40 s&w . Underwood, Buffalo bore and a few others load real 10mm . With that being said 10mm is a pussycat to a heavy 44 load. My current guns in 10 are a G29 and G20 neither are uncomfortable to shoot even with heavy 10mm . 44 loaded heavy ( 275-330 gr HC) will get your attention especially in a 4 -5 " revolver.
Stupid.

10mm makes a lot of sense as a woods or bear cartridge in a pistol which is usually what it’s popular for. Do you believe that a .45 ACP is comparable for that purpose?
There may be reasons not to buy a 10mm ,but recoil isn't one. I've let novice women shooters try my RIA 10mm hicap and they did fine.
No Mr."Stupid". S&W makes couple .460 Magnum revolvers with shorter barrels. This is preferable because one can shoot .454 and .45 Colt out of those guns. If cast lead loads are shot care should be taken to remove lead from cylinder/bore before shooting longer magnums in order to prevent cylinder damage. For sake of time more powerful handgun is needed when facing very large bear, or Mr. 🐻 will get you. What I mean is you will run out of time well before you run out of ammunition. 😱☠️👻The 10mm pistol not goot for this situation.
No Mr."Stupid". S&W makes couple .460 Magnum revolvers with shorter barrels. This is preferable because one can shoot .454 and .45 Colt out of those guns. If cast lead loads are shot care should be taken to remove lead from cylinder/bore before shooting longer magnums in order to prevent cylinder damage. For sake of time more powerful handgun is needed when facing very large bear, or Mr. 🐻 will get you. What I mean is you will run out of time well before you run out of ammunition. 😱☠️👻The 10mm pistol not goot for this situation.
Huh?

Paragraph breaks and coherent thoughts would help to immensely.
Posted By: Raferman Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/26/22
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Huh?

Paragraph breaks and coherent thoughts would help to immensely.
He needs to keep up his fake eurotrash accent.
#slavekismaser
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/26/22

Oh really? Phil Shoemaker killed a 900 pound charging grizzly with a 9mm with 147 grain flat point hardcast
Mr. 🐻 Is not going to wait so you can empty contents of your large cap 10mm magazine into it, comprende usted? What is 100m dash, about 4 sec? That would be long charge, no?
Lucky shot placement?
I mentioned .460 because powerful weapon needs to be accustomed to, therefore, it makes sense to start with .45 Colt 🤠 loads>>>.45 Colt hunting loads>>>.454>>>to arrive at the glorious .460. The sight of .460 handgun cartridge is enough to make Slavek faint!
Posted By: Bugger Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/26/22
Since I reload I have almost zero interest in semi-autos. I can load my 44’s to whatever power lever I desire. The load I shoot the most is about half way between full power 44 Mag and full power 44 special, Keith style 240 to 250 grain.
I would take .44 Magnum too. Good for hunting and defense with lighter .44 Special loads.
Mr. 🐻 Is not going to wait so you can empty contents of your large cap 10mm magazine into it, comprende usted? What is 100m dash, about 4 sec? That would be long charge, no?

Grizzly bears are able to sustain speeds of up to 30 miles per hour, they could cover 100 yards in 8 to 9 seconds.

Lucky shot placement?

No it was not a lucky shot. Phil tested his ammo and determined that it had enough penetration. The bear came charge in between Phil and his clients. Phil shot the bear in the chest 6 times and one into his rear as he ran away. The bear fell dead a short distance away
More bullets is never a bad thing and I can dump a Glock 20 mag with aimed fire fairly fast. Especially when compared to a long heavy trigger pull revolver. There’s nothing wrong with a revolver either but for the reasons just mentioned Glock 20’s are popular bear sidearms in AK and other places that people encounter bears.
Thanks for the clarifying info.
Thanks for the clarifying info.
No problem. Take your diaper off and spend some time shooting.
When I get back home I will shoot my revolver. I have 150 cartridges I do not need. I only have ten moon clips, therefore I only need 50 cartridges.🤗
When I get back home I will shoot my revolver. I have 150 cartridges I do not need. I only have ten moon clips, therefore I only need 50 cartridges.🤗
Weird logic and seemingly arbitrary numbers. I love revolvers but wouldn’t want to be in a fight for my life packing 10 moon clips or trying to reload. A Glock 20 with two mags and faster reloads…
Posted By: cwh2 Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/26/22
But if the revolver was a 460.....
Originally Posted by cwh2

It would be huge and heavy
Posted By: cwh2 Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/26/22
Or better yet, the 88 Magnum

Originally Posted by jwp475

Slave kghunt would opt for the pistol that’s heavier than a lot of rifles.
Americans call them bullets.

Slave kghunt would opt for the pistol that’s heavier than a lot of rifles.

Kinda defeats the purpose of a pistol
Posted By: T_O_M Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/27/22

You can't really legitimately assume those but I think I can get as close as you can get by comparing my ol' Ruger Buckeye Special Blackhawk with a 6-1/2" barrel and the 10mm cylinder to a 5-1/2" barrel Super Blackhawk .44. I would say "alwaysoutdoors" 65% estimate isn't wrong by much. Somewhere in that 35% difference there's a threshhold where y' go from fun to .. well, if you're doing everything right, it's just a brisk "ride" but if you're sloppy and didn't take a fairly firm grip first the .44 can provide a bit of a wakeup call when you pull the trigger.
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/27/22
I have owned a bushel basket full of .44 mags. and also have had two 10mm's on a 1911 platform. One was the big long slide Dan Wesson Bruin, easy to shoot due to the extra long slide and weight. The other is a Kimber Camp Guard that is a bit more snappy, but still not bad for recoil with 220 grain hard cast full power loads.

My S&W .44 mag. Mountain Gun has been a companion for over 20 years. After hunting in Alaska for over 50 years and seeing big brown bears up close and shooting one at about 30' and having friends that had run ins with bears and talking to many old school guides that are long gone, I long ago decided I never want to get in a fight with a pissed off brownie with any handgun. Big difference between that scenario and "hunting" a unwounded unaware brownie where one can get a good hit with the first shot.

My 280 grain hard cast .44 mag. load is a better choice for big bears then the 10mm. If were looking at the one that can be shot the fastest and loaded the fastest then using that logic many feel the 10mm is the way to go. Well, I can shoot my 10mm 1911 faster then my .44 mag. and my rifle. But, I still want the rifle for big bears since I shoot a rifle better.

I also think revolvers allow a wider meplat on cast bullets then a semi auto that may have feeding issues if to wide. Just compare the nose of a 10mm hard cast to a .44 mag.

When I came to Alaska in 1965 I met several big game guides that hunted polar bears, brown-grizzly in the Wrangell Mountains, Alaska Peninsula and Kodiak. None of them carried a handgun for back up as they had a rifle and if a client showed up with one by day three it was left in the tent, as it was a pain to carry for miles a day, through alders, pucker brush, etc.

Also, in Alaska if you are shooting "charging" bears at much past 30' our game enforcement officers will want to know why.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/27/22
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Shooting a 629 versus a 610 with full house hard cast in both I’d say the difference,at least perceived, difference is almost nothing, at least for me it doesn’t seem like that much difference. That’s my honest real world opinion.
Originally Posted by T_O_M

You can't really legitimately assume those but I think I can get as close as you can get by comparing my ol' Ruger Buckeye Special Blackhawk with a 6-1/2" barrel and the 10mm cylinder to a 5-1/2" barrel Super Blackhawk .44. I would say "alwaysoutdoors" 65% estimate isn't wrong by much. Somewhere in that 35% difference there's a threshhold where y' go from fun to .. well, if you're doing everything right, it's just a brisk "ride" but if you're sloppy and didn't take a fairly firm grip first the .44 can provide a bit of a wakeup call when you pull the trigger.

Pretty hard to get closer than the S&W's mentioned by Aces.
Same frame, same barrel length. Only difference is bore ( .40 Vs. .430) and an extra ounce for the mod 610.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-629?sku=163603&preselect=1

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-610?sku=12463
Posted By: gunchamp Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/28/22
There is no comparison to a hot loaded 10mm and a hot loaded 44 mag. Not even 100/65. 10mm is a pussy cat loaded at its max with a 220 hc. Try a 44 mag loaded to the max with a 300 hc over a case full of 110. Its not close. Depending on the gun, a hot loaded 44 mag starts into recoil that makes you have to pay attention to what youre actually doing. Ive owned dozens of both and have put thousands of rounds down range
Posted By: Doc_Holidude Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/28/22
No need to legitimately assume for me…as I stated in my first reply…I owned the exact same size revolvers with the exact same grips, a first gen 629 classic with 5” full underlug, and a first gen 610 classic 5” full underlug. The 610 is a pleasure to shoot even with stout loads, and I still have it 30 years later. The 629 was an ignorant bitch to shoot and it got sold to buy the 610. Before the “you just can’t handle recoil crowd” starts screaming…I’ve owned and loved shooting my S & W .500 Mag since 2004, and would rather shoot it over any .44 Mag that I’ve ever shot from any manufacturer, any day of the week. The combination of softer grip, porting, and weight just eats the recoil better. It just is more pleasant to shoot for me. As is the 610. Also for the OP…if you put time in with full moon clips, they are just as fast as speedloaders for shooters who are used to them. Just my personal experience and preferences. Have fun with whichever one you get your hands on. 😎

Doc_Holidude
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/28/22
Ain't nobody got time for a 10mm revolver. Psshh
Posted By: johnn Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/28/22
Desert eagle, its a handful, but low recoil.
Posted By: viking Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/28/22
Originally Posted by johnn

And heavy as fudge
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/28/22
I've only shot a 10 in semi-auto, and 44's in revolvers, Contenders, and a lever gun. In an easily packable configuration, hot 10mm loads are still manageable, whereas hot 44 loads are not (for me). Boils down to the purpose. If I want raw power and slow fire in a handgun, such as for hunting, I prefer 44 mag or hot 45 Colt. If I want fast follow-up shots, such as for possible bear encounters, a hot 10mm

Several guys put the recoil of the 10 at 65% of 44. Maybe my 10mm loads are not hot, or my 44 loads are too hot, because I would put it closer to 50% in a comparison.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/28/22
Good thread until Slavek took control. Again. Laughing
Posted By: lubbockdave Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/28/22
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I was thinking the other day that this place is becoming more and more difficult to try to gather information from because you can throw a question out there and you’ll get a lot of good answers, but then you’ll get a couple of guys who just for some reason don’t like each other and go back-and-forth and back-and-forth making it not much fun for anyone really except for maybe the two involved.

Either way maybe it’s time for me to just log out for a while🤣
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/28/22
Not sure why this VS is even being asked. The 10mm is less than the 41 mag and the 41 mag is less than the 44 mag
Posted By: lubbockdave Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/28/22
Not sure why this VS is even being asked. The 10mm is less than the 41 mag and the 41 mag is less than the 44 mag

I’ve never shot a 41 mag…but I have shot a 44 mag. That’s why I asked the question 😉
Posted By: WMR Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/29/22
I can make rapid hits with my XDM 10mm 4 1/2in. Not so with a 44. I’m a fair shot with a handgun but not nearly in the class of the hardcore guys. I’ve carried my 10mm in AK a few times but always tried to keep a rifle close at hand. Had a few interesting encounters but none real serious. If limited to one, I’d take the rifle.😳
Posted By: EdM Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/29/22
I own a first run M610 5" and a rebarreled M29-2 5", both with the full lug so pretty close weight wise and there is no question that a legitimate 240 gr load from the 44 is a fair bit stiffer than a legitimate 180 gr load from the 10. I chose the weights that I have shot and tried to keep apples to apples with traditional loads in both. Yeah 340's in the 44 and 220's in the 10....
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/30/22
Give me the 44 mag revolver every time. IMO, the purpose of either is for hunting or defense from dangerous animals. Yes, either could be used against bipedal threats or for target shooting, but for those purposes there are better options.

Some people give the 10 in a semi-auto the nod for faster follow ups in the case of a charging bear or something like that. But I counter that thought with the ability to jam a revolver barrel into your attacker and pull the trigger repeatedly where a semi-auto will likely jam. That could be a very big advantage in the advent of a bear attack where we hear of so many cases that the bear is on top of the victim before they have a chance to fire their first shot, let alone a follow-up.

Furthermore, reloading allows you to load the 44 to whatever power you want, as mentioned already here by others. A semi will need a minimum load to operate the pistol. The revolver doesn’t care.

Also, getting a good set of grips on the revolver can greatly improve the comfort and manageability of the revolver.

Just my thoughts on an interesting subject. I say this as a fan of both rounds and platforms.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/30/22
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Give me the 44 mag revolver every time. IMO, the purpose of either is for hunting or defense from dangerous animals. Yes, either could be used against bipedal threats or for target shooting, but for those purposes there are better options.

Some people give the 10 in a semi-auto the nod for faster follow ups in the case of a charging bear or something like that. But I counter that thought with the ability to jam a revolver barrel into your attacker and pull the trigger repeatedly where a semi-auto will likely jam. That could be a very big advantage in the advent of a bear attack where we hear of so many cases that the bear is on top of the victim before they have a chance to fire their first shot, let alone a follow-up.

Furthermore, reloading allows you to load the 44 to whatever power you want, as mentioned already here by others. A semi will need a minimum load to operate the pistol. The revolver doesn’t care.

Also, getting a good set of grips on the revolver can greatly improve the comfort and manageability of the revolver.

Just my thoughts on an interesting subject. I say this as a fan of both rounds and platforms.

You done fugked up if you’re worried about the barrel jammed into your attacker .
Posted By: SBTCO Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/30/22

You done fugked up if you’re worried about the barrel jammed into your attacker .

Not necessarily, night time attacks on tent campers are more common than many realize. Waking up wrapped in a nylon burrito with the tent smashed against your face, you may find shoving the muzzle against the perp may be the only option you have at that moment.
Posted By: McInnis Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/30/22

I was thinking the other day that this place is becoming more and more difficult to try to gather information from because you can throw a question out there and you’ll get a lot of good answers, but then you’ll get a couple of guys who just for some reason don’t like each other and go back-and-forth and back-and-forth making it not much fun for anyone really except for maybe the two involved.

Either way maybe it’s time for me to just log out for a while🤣

I’m thinking that too. It’s really too bad, it didn’t used to be that way.
Originally Posted by SBTCO

Not necessarily, night time attacks on tent campers are more common than many realize. Waking up wrapped in a nylon burrito with the tent smashed against your face, you may find shoving the muzzle against the perp may be the only option you have at that moment.
Sounds fugked up
Posted By: SBTCO Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/30/22
Originally Posted by SBTCO

Sounds fugked up

It isn't, 'til it is.
Go camping . Sleep in a tent in bear or meth country. It’ll be fun they said.
Posted By: johnn Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/30/22
Originally Posted by viking
Originally Posted by johnn

And heavy as fudge
Yeah, a 1911 feels tiny after holding a DE.
Posted By: johnn Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/30/22

It can happen if its a bear attack, sometimes it's lucky if a person gets off A shot before the bear is on you, they can be sneaky bastards
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/30/22
Haven’t shot a 10mm yet. So this is an interesting read, for me. I’d like to. It sounds appealing.

I had assumed the recoil would be significantly less. I think we’d all call that a safe assumption.

I have shot many varieties/configurations of .44 mag in revolvers, and to me, there’s worlds of difference in them. And before the wide range of loadings.

6.5” full underlug barrel in a S&W N frame, and a 240 going 1200 isn’t exactly hard to control. Specials going 950 or so I think are pussycats.

Not the same out of a mountain gun, obviously. Never mind a PD or whatever else.

All I got.
Posted By: bobmn Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 10/30/22
"Go camping . Sleep in a tent in bear or meth country. It’ll be fun they said."
Always: Since you are "always out doors" where is the best place to hunt Dall sheep in TN? What stream in TN has 10 lb. brook trout? What mountain range in TN has brown bear? Unfortunately the good places for dall sheep, big brook trout, etc. are remote and in bear country and do not any have cabins. That means I spent my nights in the Brooks Range, Hudson Bay, Kenai Peninsula and Alaska Peninsula under a nylon roof. Bear protection to me was not an academic exercise. Your outdoor experience may be different.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/03/22
I think Last Lemming is correct (solely based on my experience). The 1911 platform is quite different as compared to an N frame revolver when it comes to felt recoil. I can shoot 41 a lot and enjoy it. The 10mm in a 1911 will pound the hell out of an arthritic thumb. For that matter, so will a 45acp. In comparable revolvers the 10mm will be quite manageable. To me the 44 is a different animal.
Posted By: bwinters Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/03/22
This ^^^^

Ive owned both and had 44 mags in 4 to 7.5 in barrels. The 10 in a Glock 21 recoil noticeably less - but don't think it gives up much.
Posted By: bobmn Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/03/22
bwinters: "...but don't think it gives up much." From Buffalo Bore Heavy Magnum ammunition 10mm 220 grain bullet @ 1200fps. 44 mag. 305 grain bullet @ 1325 fps. I agree with alwaysoutdoors, it gives up much. 85 grains of bullet weight and 125 fps of velocity to be exact.
Posted By: atse Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/04/22
I have been shooting my 10mm quite a bit. I carry it strictly for bears here in Mt. I have shot 44s, but not alot. The 10mm is alot easier to shoot accurately, quickly. You may get 2 or 3 shots instead of 1.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/05/22
Currently wringing out my SA XD-M Elite 4.5" 10mm

Running 200 gr XTP's & #9

Along with 200 grain hard cast with Blue Dot

Yes a hand full with near full nuts loads...but manageable

16+ 1 has the edge on the 44
Posted By: RiddlerNumberOne Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/05/22
Find me the guy jumped by a bear who has gotten off more than 6.

The only thing better than a 44 Magnum is a 460 475 or 500 but they require a gun bearer. A 329 does not.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/05/22
Originally Posted by RiddlerNumberOne

The only thing better than a 44 Magnum is a 460 475 or 500 but they require a gun bearer. A 329 does not.

Phil Shoemaker got off 7
Posted By: atse Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/05/22
It basically comes down to the superior power and fewer shots vs adequate power and more rounds/ shots. Its a personal choice on bears. I prefer the latter.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/05/22

Phil Shoemaker got off 7

Phil didn't get jumped by a bear. He was shooting the bear broadside because it was harassing a couple of fishermen Phil was guiding.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/05/22
Originally Posted by SargeMO

Phil Shoemaker got off 7

Phil didn't get jumped by a bear. He was shooting the bear broadside because it was harassing a couple of fishermen Phil was guiding.

Yep.

Phil Shoemaker got off 7

The bear charged toward Phil's client that were behind him, no matter how you slice it he git of 7 shots
Posted By: SargeMO Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/05/22
For clarification purposes-

"We were in thick brush and I was only 8 or 10 feet from the bear when he started growling and huffing. I began yelling and it eventually ran around, behind my two clients, into the brush. But within 15 seconds it came charging back from the area behind us and popped out of the brush 10 feet from me! I had the little S&W in my hands and was thinking I was probably going to have to shoot it but as it cleared the brush it headed toward my clients. The man had enough sense to grab his wife and fall backwards into the tall grass. The bear seemed to loose track of them, even though it was less than 3 feet away from them and it was highly agitated! It then swung toward me, I was 6 or 8 feet away, and I fired the first shot into the area between the head and shoulder. It growled and started wildly thrashing around, still basically on the feet of my clients. My next shot hit it in the shoulder and it began twisting and biting at the hits and I continued firing as fast as I could see vitals. Five shots later it turned into the brush and I hit it again and it twisted and fell 20 feet from us"

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=389
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/05/22
Why argue for less ammo capacity?

ROFLMAO
Why argue for less ammo capacity?

ROFLMAO

Yeah it makes no sense, never seen less ammo as a good thing
https://sportingclassicsdaily.com/d...97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/05/22

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: RiddlerNumberOne Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/05/22
Nice truck and blow broad.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/05/22
Yep.
Posted By: deflave Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/05/22
Does anyone here believe the wound channel of a 10mm can’t kill a big bear?
Originally Posted by deflave
Does anyone hear believe the wound channel of a 10mm can’t kill a big bear?

maybe........maybe not..........(:

https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/tsh-40-10mm-200-gr-tc-per-300.html

https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/tsh-10mm-200-gr-fp-per-300.html[/img]
Posted By: bwinters Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/05/22

Was wondering the same myself. I'm not sure full penetration by a 200-220 gr hard cast is somehow significantly different than same with a 0.429, 280 gr. In fact, I'd take the hard case 220 10mm over a 44 cal non-hard cast.

In my mind, Phil's experience seems to bear out, pun intended, that raw fire power is not the measure of effectiveness. It's holes through the animal in the right place. For me, I shoot my G20 better and faster than my heavy loaded revolvers. The only variable is penetration. I'm 100% sure a 220 hard cast from a 10mm is up to the penetration challenge. I spend considerable time with my 10mm and am pretty confident in its use and effectiveness if the need arises. Plus it has 15 accomplices if need be.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/05/22

What I've been thinking.
Assuming hard vast is the projectile, how much is gained by .029"?
The bigger hole might cut something the smaller misses, but now we
are depending on .0145.

All dependent on profile.

One more round that might be fired is gonna cut a .400 hole.

All theory full of what iffs

Same as these arguments.

Write a script. I get,

Time, no contact?
G20

Rolling around in the dirt being chewed on, keep my gun?
Got time? 8 round 357.
Only a couple shots, DA 44.

One shot only? 500 S&W

Using an example to argue as any one gun being clearly superior either
shows bias or ignorance.

Be interesting to ask Phill what his thoughts might be if he ran it through his head in an after action report style.

His encounter supports enough power, good bullet in the right place(s)

The 44 guys would argue a bigger gun would have done it quicker.

The 10mm guys will argue he needed more ammo to use.

Ain't a 100% answer.

Size, weight, ease of carry, reliability in an uncontrolled situation,
shootability......make your choice. Spin the wheel.
Hope it never even comes up, FŰCK BEAR!!!
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/05/22
Originally Posted by bwinters

Was wondering the same myself. I'm not sure full penetration by a 200-220 gr hard cast is somehow significantly different than same with a 0.429, 280 gr. In fact, I'd take the hard case 220 10mm over a 44 cal non-hard cast.

In my mind, Phil's experience seems to bear out, pun intended, that raw fire power is not the measure of effectiveness. It's holes through the animal in the right place. For me, I shoot my G20 better and faster than my heavy loaded revolvers. The only variable is penetration. I'm 100% sure a 220 hard cast from a 10mm is up to the penetration challenge. I spend considerable time with my 10mm and am pretty confident in its use and effectiveness if the need arises. Plus it has 15 accomplices if need be.

Yep. I agree. And while 16 rounds of 220 gr Buffalo Bore Hard Cast Outdoorsman load is never a bad choice in my opinion. Ive been carrying a Glock 20 with that load for YEARS. And will continue to do so when hunting in any state that has bears. It’s my go to gun when bow hunting for deer and elk in bear county.
But Proper shot placement and penetration can’t be stressed enough. I believe Phil’s encounter proves that fact. And if I recall correctly, he was using the Buffalo Bore Hard Cast Outdoorsman load in his 9mn that day.
I’ve never killed a charging Grizz, but between all the many, many hogs I’ve killed at the Ranch with both that same 10mm load and with Ruger Blackhawks in .44 mag and 45 colt using a 260 gr WFN LBT hard cast bullets at about 1000 FPS, they were nearly all DRT. And 90% of the time, all of those bullets exited the hog. And I couldn’t tell one bit of difference on which load and bullet killed the best.
They were all just as dead as the others. 🤔
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/05/22

So...

Riddler is Larry Root, aka Up the Pole, aka, Karen Root, aka all his other accounts..

What a nutbag.
Rather new to the 10mm

Have the SA XD-M Elite 4.5" w/Hex red dot

Bought the 200 gr bullets from Rim Rock instead of the 220's & burning AA #9

COAL was the question when comparing the two & functionability

Not that I'm gonna be in big brown bear country any time soon

I just like kool schidt........(:

The trigger on the XD is......fuggin nice

Never owned a Glock

Having 29's & 629's in the past......

I find the SA 10mm easier to shoot accurately

Along with 16+ 1 capacity
Posted By: renegade50 Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/05/22

Dumbfugg busting himself again with this truck.
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤣🤣🤣

Riddlernumberone
Upthepole
And the previous one he ran...
All post pics of this Same lame azz POS truck.
Posted By: RiddlerNumberOne Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/06/22
Killing those cardboard bears is tough !

I still await the documented case where someone got off more than 6 shots while attacked by a bear.

If you can't shoot double action revolvers and hit a 6" pie plate at 10 feet, training is what you need, not a semi auto.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/06/22
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

What I've been thinking.
are depending on .0145.

Same as these arguments.

Write a script. I get,

Time, no contact?
G20

Got time? 8 round 357.

One shot only? 500 S&W

shows bias or ignorance.

Be interesting to ask Phill what his thoughts might be if he ran it through his head in an after action report style.

Ain't a 100% answer.

Your line of thinking on this parallels mine. I like SA revolvers but they'd be my last choice for a GTF Off Me Bear! gun. Documented bear encounters sometimes include the bear kicking your ass for awhile and in that instance, the Ruger Alaskan 44/454/480 shines. If you can shoot a heavy DA revolver well, it's going to work well enough before the ass-kicking stage to prevent it. It does not have to be loaded with a tank-killer load to be effective. I would guess .4+, 240 grains+ and 1100 fps+ would be about the ground floor. But I'm just guessing.

I don't doubt a heavy loaded 40, 10mm, 45 ACP or Super will penetrate well enough to kill a bear and and in most cases, rearrange its priorities well enough to save your ass. (Some guys got by with 9mm but for me, no thanks. Bad things happen in the margins and I'm going to keep them as small as possible.) The link to the study, posted by JWP475, supports this and I don't doubt it's veracity or think the researchers are pushing an agenda.

You have a gun, the bear don't. Shoot the damn bear instantly if contact appears imminent. I'd much rather deal with pissed off possum cops than watch them stand around shaking their heads while somebody's trying to sew mine back on.

Finally, somebody did ask Phil about the incident not long after it happened.
_____

Phil you are well regarded by good friends of mine, so please don't take this wrong. I am asking from the perspective of a guy who made a short notice trip to Alaska in the spring several years ago with nothing but a 2 1/4" SP-101 (Loaded with Alaska Backpacker 200 grain LBT) and a 1911 loaded with hardball.

By what rationale do you leave a 475 at home and carry a 9mm while hiking in known grizzly country? If I'd have had time to arrange for a heavy-hitter, there's no way in hell I'd have left it. I had my wife and very pregnant daughter along and carried a slug-loaded 870 on those occasions.
_____

Sarge, My family homestead is right in the middle of a National Wildlife Refuge and the incident happened a bit over 5 miles from our home. We know the area, terrain and wildlife and don't feel the need to constantly be armed -- And when we are out the terrain is difficult and carrying something as large as a 475 quickly becomes a burden. something like your SP-101 is alot more likely to be packed.

As I have pointed out to numerous folks about this incident -- if I had known I would have run into an angry bear I wouldn't have even gone. And if I had to I would have taken my 458.

Phil Shoemaker - Alaska Master Guide
Posted By: deflave Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/06/22
Originally Posted by tikkanut

maybe........maybe not..........(:

https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/tsh-40-10mm-200-gr-tc-per-300.html

https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/tsh-10mm-200-gr-fp-per-300.html[/img]

No.

Seriously.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/06/22
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

What I've been thinking.
are depending on .0145.

Same as these arguments.

Write a script. I get,

Time, no contact?
G20

Got time? 8 round 357.

One shot only? 500 S&W

shows bias or ignorance.

Ain't a 100% answer.

Your line of thinking on this parallels mine. I like SA revolvers but they'd be my last choice for a GTF Off Me Bear! gun. Documented bear encounters sometimes include the bear kicking your ass for awhile and in that instance, the Ruger Alaskan 44/454/480 shines. If you can shoot a heavy DA revolver well, it's going to work well enough before the ass-kicking stage to prevent it. It does not have to be loaded with a tank-killer load to be effective. I would guess .4+, 240 grains+ and 1100 fps+ would be about the ground floor. But I'm just guessing.

I don't doubt a heavy loaded 40, 10mm, 45 ACP or Super will penetrate well enough to kill a bear and and in most cases, rearrange its priorities well enough to save your ass. (Some guys got by with 9mm but for me, no thanks. Bad things happen in the margins and I'm going to keep them as small as possible.) The link to the study, posted by JWP475, supports this and I don't doubt it's veracity or think the researchers are pushing an agenda.

You have a gun, the bear don't. Shoot the damn bear instantly if contact appears imminent. I'd much rather deal with pissed off possum cops than watch them stand around shaking their heads while somebody's trying to sew mine back on.

Finally, somebody did ask Phil about the incident not long after it happened.
_____

Phil you are well regarded by good friends of mine, so please don't take this wrong. I am asking from the perspective of a guy who made a short notice trip to Alaska in the spring several years ago with nothing but a 2 1/4" SP-101 (Loaded with Alaska Backpacker 200 grain LBT) and a 1911 loaded with hardball.

By what rationale do you leave a 475 at home and carry a 9mm while hiking in known grizzly country? If I'd have had time to arrange for a heavy-hitter, there's no way in hell I'd have left it. I had my wife and very pregnant daughter along and carried a slug-loaded 870 on those occasions.
_____

Sarge, My family homestead is right in the middle of a National Wildlife Refuge and the incident happened a bit over 5 miles from our home. We know the area, terrain and wildlife and don't feel the need to constantly be armed -- And when we are out the terrain is difficult and carrying something as large as a 475 quickly becomes a burden. something like your SP-101 is alot more likely to be packed.

As I have pointed out to numerous folks about this incident -- if I had known I would have run into an angry bear I wouldn't have even gone. And if I had to I would have taken my 458.

Phil Shoemaker - Alaska Master Guide

Good post Sarge !
Posted By: NMpistolero Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/06/22
I don’t know how to post links but if anyone wants to listen to black bear vs 10mm attack straight from the horses mouth look up Nada Grande Outdoors season 2 episode 6 called Bear necessities. Bridger Petrini’s story in his own words and voice. Pretty good story. You can forward to about the 25 min mark I think to get to the good stuff.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/06/22
Thanks Chili.
Posted By: JGray Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/07/22
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
...And if I recall correctly, he was using the Buffalo Bore Hard Cast Outdoorsman load in his 9mn that day...

Rimrock does state on their website that their 9mm 148 gr TC Outdoorsman bullet "is the one the fishing guide in Alaska killed the grizzly with"
Posted By: MOGC Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/07/22
Originally Posted by NMpistolero
I don’t know how to post links but if anyone wants to listen to black bear vs 10mm attack straight from the horses mouth look up Nada Grande Outdoors season 2 episode 6 called Bear necessities. Bridger Petrini’s story in his own words and voice. Pretty good story. You can forward to about the 25 min mark I think to get to the good stuff.

Hell of a story and worth the listen!
Posted By: smallfry Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/07/22
A couple of incidents,
So some of you that know me know I had a tangle with a black bear. I was carrying what now I believe is about the worst gun you could possible carry. A 5.5” super Blackhawk 44 shooting 320s at full tilt. The problem was I missed when it matter the most, at point blank range. Ultimately the bear lost and maybe became scared from the report as he jumped off to the side within seconds. I will tell you this right now, that revolver seemed unbelievably slow clearing leather when the a bear coming at full tilt is right on you. $hit happens. I carry now a G19, shield plus, or a 686 + with 158s or 173s at @1k.
We were hiking when pit bull came screaming around the trail. The owner had absolute fear in his voice as his dog rounded the bend. I sent one in the back of his neck. That was that. I had a G19 in a chest rig. Very fast.
Living remote in AK, I have had quite a bit experience with bears. Every black bear I’ve seen hit never wanted anything to do with anyone after that. Except one. I was 22? and was stalking a bear in the creek with my friend. I took a shot and because she was looking back, and it was dark in woods I shot her through the gut at 20 yards with my 458. She instantly came at me. My dear friend with his 7mm mag froze and I pulled off a second shot at the last moment and was knockdown. That first 458 shot had zero visible effect.
I would not take horsepower over firepower and controllability with a handgun. Even though the one bear took a 458 and charged, I’d rather have the control and multiple rounds. Without a doubt a 357 has plenty of penetration . I understand that a solid hit with a 44 has more value with the same hit with a 9mm or cast 357, but that’s not how I’d expect it to go. Not for me at least.
Posted By: skeen Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/07/22
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by NMpistolero

Hell of a story and worth the listen!

https://anchor.fm/nadagrande/episodes/S2E6-Bear-Necessities-e3072l/a-a7i2mv
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/07/22
Originally Posted by bwinters

Why I carry my 10 mm rather than the model 29 S&W 44 mag can shoot it better and get back on target quicker, AK fish and game has killed 3 Brown bear within 100 yards of my door within the last 2 years.
Posted By: iskra Re: 10 mm vs 44 mag - 11/07/22
To the original question of 10mm vs .44 Mag... Obvious! Gun pointed menacingly as words... 'Do ya feel lucky Punk? Well, do ya?" Just not offering the Dirty Harry image! 10mm Failed!
smile smile smile
Best!
John
© 24hourcampfire