S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Give me the 44 mag revolver every time. IMO, the purpose of either is for hunting or defense from dangerous animals. Yes, either could be used against bipedal threats or for target shooting, but for those purposes there are better options.

Some people give the 10 in a semi-auto the nod for faster follow ups in the case of a charging bear or something like that. But I counter that thought with the ability to jam a revolver barrel into your attacker and pull the trigger repeatedly where a semi-auto will likely jam. That could be a very big advantage in the advent of a bear attack where we hear of so many cases that the bear is on top of the victim before they have a chance to fire their first shot, let alone a follow-up.

Furthermore, reloading allows you to load the 44 to whatever power you want, as mentioned already here by others. A semi will need a minimum load to operate the pistol. The revolver doesn’t care.

Also, getting a good set of grips on the revolver can greatly improve the comfort and manageability of the revolver.

Just my thoughts on an interesting subject. I say this as a fan of both rounds and platforms.

You done fugked up if you’re worried about the barrel jammed into your attacker .

Not necessarily, night time attacks on tent campers are more common than many realize. Waking up wrapped in a nylon burrito with the tent smashed against your face, you may find shoving the muzzle against the perp may be the only option you have at that moment.
Sounds fugked up

It isn't, 'til it is.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Go camping . Sleep in a tent in bear or meth country. It’ll be fun they said.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by viking
Originally Posted by johnn
Desert eagle, its a handful, but low recoil.

And heavy as fudge
Yeah, a 1911 feels tiny after holding a DE.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Give me the 44 mag revolver every time. IMO, the purpose of either is for hunting or defense from dangerous animals. Yes, either could be used against bipedal threats or for target shooting, but for those purposes there are better options.

Some people give the 10 in a semi-auto the nod for faster follow ups in the case of a charging bear or something like that. But I counter that thought with the ability to jam a revolver barrel into your attacker and pull the trigger repeatedly where a semi-auto will likely jam. That could be a very big advantage in the advent of a bear attack where we hear of so many cases that the bear is on top of the victim before they have a chance to fire their first shot, let alone a follow-up.

Furthermore, reloading allows you to load the 44 to whatever power you want, as mentioned already here by others. A semi will need a minimum load to operate the pistol. The revolver doesn’t care.

Also, getting a good set of grips on the revolver can greatly improve the comfort and manageability of the revolver.

Just my thoughts on an interesting subject. I say this as a fan of both rounds and platforms.

You done fugked up if you’re worried about the barrel jammed into your attacker .
It can happen if its a bear attack, sometimes it's lucky if a person gets off A shot before the bear is on you, they can be sneaky bastards

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Haven’t shot a 10mm yet. So this is an interesting read, for me. I’d like to. It sounds appealing.

I had assumed the recoil would be significantly less. I think we’d all call that a safe assumption.

I have shot many varieties/configurations of .44 mag in revolvers, and to me, there’s worlds of difference in them. And before the wide range of loadings.

6.5” full underlug barrel in a S&W N frame, and a 240 going 1200 isn’t exactly hard to control. Specials going 950 or so I think are pussycats.

Not the same out of a mountain gun, obviously. Never mind a PD or whatever else.

All I got.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Go camping . Sleep in a tent in bear or meth country. It’ll be fun they said."
Always: Since you are "always out doors" where is the best place to hunt Dall sheep in TN? What stream in TN has 10 lb. brook trout? What mountain range in TN has brown bear? Unfortunately the good places for dall sheep, big brook trout, etc. are remote and in bear country and do not any have cabins. That means I spent my nights in the Brooks Range, Hudson Bay, Kenai Peninsula and Alaska Peninsula under a nylon roof. Bear protection to me was not an academic exercise. Your outdoor experience may be different.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I think Last Lemming is correct (solely based on my experience). The 1911 platform is quite different as compared to an N frame revolver when it comes to felt recoil. I can shoot 41 a lot and enjoy it. The 10mm in a 1911 will pound the hell out of an arthritic thumb. For that matter, so will a 45acp. In comparable revolvers the 10mm will be quite manageable. To me the 44 is a different animal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If 44 mag is a 100%, 10mm is about 65%
This ^^^^

Ive owned both and had 44 mags in 4 to 7.5 in barrels. The 10 in a Glock 21 recoil noticeably less - but don't think it gives up much.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
bwinters: "...but don't think it gives up much." From Buffalo Bore Heavy Magnum ammunition 10mm 220 grain bullet @ 1200fps. 44 mag. 305 grain bullet @ 1325 fps. I agree with alwaysoutdoors, it gives up much. 85 grains of bullet weight and 125 fps of velocity to be exact.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have been shooting my 10mm quite a bit. I carry it strictly for bears here in Mt. I have shot 44s, but not alot. The 10mm is alot easier to shoot accurately, quickly. You may get 2 or 3 shots instead of 1.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Currently wringing out my SA XD-M Elite 4.5" 10mm

Running 200 gr XTP's & #9

Along with 200 grain hard cast with Blue Dot

Yes a hand full with near full nuts loads...but manageable

16+ 1 has the edge on the 44

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Find me the guy jumped by a bear who has gotten off more than 6.

The only thing better than a 44 Magnum is a 460 475 or 500 but they require a gun bearer. A 329 does not.

"A man has come to terms with life when he is willing to plant trees under whose shade he will never sit."
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RiddlerNumberOne

The only thing better than a 44 Magnum is a 460 475 or 500 but they require a gun bearer. A 329 does not.

Phil Shoemaker got off 7

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It basically comes down to the superior power and fewer shots vs adequate power and more rounds/ shots. Its a personal choice on bears. I prefer the latter.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

Phil Shoemaker got off 7

Phil didn't get jumped by a bear. He was shooting the bear broadside because it was harassing a couple of fishermen Phil was guiding.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SargeMO

Phil Shoemaker got off 7

Phil didn't get jumped by a bear. He was shooting the bear broadside because it was harassing a couple of fishermen Phil was guiding.

Yep.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by SargeMO

Phil Shoemaker got off 7

The bear charged toward Phil's client that were behind him, no matter how you slice it he git of 7 shots

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
For clarification purposes-

"We were in thick brush and I was only 8 or 10 feet from the bear when he started growling and huffing. I began yelling and it eventually ran around, behind my two clients, into the brush. But within 15 seconds it came charging back from the area behind us and popped out of the brush 10 feet from me! I had the little S&W in my hands and was thinking I was probably going to have to shoot it but as it cleared the brush it headed toward my clients. The man had enough sense to grab his wife and fall backwards into the tall grass. The bear seemed to loose track of them, even though it was less than 3 feet away from them and it was highly agitated! It then swung toward me, I was 6 or 8 feet away, and I fired the first shot into the area between the head and shoulder. It growled and started wildly thrashing around, still basically on the feet of my clients. My next shot hit it in the shoulder and it began twisting and biting at the hits and I continued firing as fast as I could see vitals. Five shots later it turned into the brush and I hit it again and it twisted and fell 20 feet from us"

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=389

Last edited by SargeMO; 11/05/22. Reason: better link with beartopsy pics

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Why argue for less ammo capacity?

ROFLMAO

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Why argue for less ammo capacity?

ROFLMAO

Yeah it makes no sense, never seen less ammo as a good thing

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 48 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,250
Posts18,504,685
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.